TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to the architecture of the original console, it features a single controller port and will only include one original-sized controller in the box. Hence, multiplayer partying will definitely require an additional purchase of a multitap accessory and any extra controllers you need for local co-op.

regions.jpg
Did Konami announce a multitap accessory?

It is kind of an important feature. Many Turbo Grafx games had solid local multiplayer. I also don't think that the Real TV sports series had any official licensing, so it is likely that they will be showing up in this thing. They were well-regarded, and generally held up as must-have titles for the Turbo Grafx. They are easy additions to the mini's catalog.

Konami HAS been hiring M2 for their recent retro collections, such as Castlevania and Contra. Given that M2 already got picked for the Sega Genesis mini, I am hopeful that Konami follows suit and hires them for the Turbo Grafx mini. The early accounts coming out of E3 regarding the Genesis mini are sounding solid.

The interesting thing, though, is that these minis have two controller ports. The original consoles only had one, which was what made the separate multitap both essential and outrageous. People will at least be able to play 2p here out of the box.

I'd have to disagree with you about the TV Sports games. Those were terrible and I don't remember any differing opinions when they were actually contemporary. And despite the lack of official sports licenses, is Cinemaware around in any form anymore, for licensing the actual games...?

Whats probably the coolest thing about this being offered(the PC Engine anyway), is the size of that unit, as it could be 1:1 and would still be about the size of the other minis on the market. LOL The PC Engine is truly one of gamings best systems, sadly NEC completely screwed the pooch on the US offering.

Whats probably the coolest thing about this being offered(the PC Engine anyway), is the size of that unit, as it could be 1:1 and would still be about the size of the other minis on the market. LOL The PC Engine is truly one of gamings best systems, sadly NEC completely screwed the pooch on the US offering.
Most of the best games are left in Japan, and there are very few translation project of those titles. It's sad really. Lots of great games that we may never be able to play. Also, the emulation scene really blows because the best emulator is closed-source. I don't even think it's being worked on anymore.

Fun observation :  The official trailer clearly shows the LORDS OF THUNDER schmup title screen scrolling several times in the background collage of game imagery, so high probability that it will be on the list of pre-loaded games (hopefully for ALL regions).  Were there any other gaming screenshots that caught your attention? Please chime in. 

More key impressions from the TG-16 mini E3 showcase mock-up display:

- 85% of the original console size

- Controller uses USB-port and video-out via HDMI

- Sliding-type power switch just like original

- Removable cover for expansion slot on the backside is just for show

- Despite how it appears, there is no insert slot for HU cards 

There are still several months into finalizing the game list, so Konami is taking suggestions on games to be added over on social media.  They are accepting title requests across the entire spectrum of expansion releases (i.e. base HU cards, CD-Rom, Super CD-Rom)

Konami might also consider releasing the different regional versions as "limited edition"  in your territory if there's enough demand.

85%??? That's huge compared to the other minis. Wonder what they are thinking?
I concur. However, the PC Engine original console has a relatively small footprint already. The design of the TG-16 is just ...ugh. Maybe when it came out in the late 80s and early 90s, bigger means better for the NA market haha.

Quirky Tidbits :

PS Classic Mini is 55% the size of the original Playstation console, but only 20% of the total volume.

Upcoming Sega Mini will be approximately 50% the size of the original Genesis console upon release.

SNES Mini is roughly 1/7 scale from original and the NES Mini Classic Edition is "palm-sized".

Yeah, I'm gonna need to get at least one or two of these :) Hopefully AirZonk is on there, so amazing...

Agreed FatBoy, the Coregrafx are already really small, so the size shouldn't be an issue. The TG16 mini OTOH with the back cover is gonna be stupidly large... I might pass on that one because of the size. 

Konami has been sitting on a classic game gold mine with Hudson that they really have barely tapped, it's a huge waste of potential revenue IMHO, whereas companies like SEGA and SNK have been awesome with releasing classics on many different platforms. 

Yeah, it makes sense with the Core etc. but not for the TG-16. Like they felt they had to make the same decision across the entire line. As already mentioned, the TG was the only "normal-sized" console of the original bunch.

This thing has so much potential. Hopefully they don't fuck it up.
You and me both man. I have fond memories of my TGFX-16...the initial batch of games are mostly great so far. But, no one has even mentioned Legendary Axe, Keith Courage In Alpha Zone, Blazing Lazers!!!! We also need Devil's Crush, which is better than Alien Crush...Bloody Wolf (which was Capcom's Commando on steroids), Side Arms, Vigilante, Dragon Spirit, Forgotten Worlds, Ordyne, and the complete Bonk's series.

We can skip China Warrior, mainly because my friends laughed and made fun of me after I bought it and ran through it for a mere 10 minutes. That game sucked. I did return it to Babbages. I swear! :cry:

What I really hope is that Konami takes their emulation serious and doesn't half-ass it. I mean, look at what they did with one of their prized franchises in the Silent Hill Collection for PS3?

For me this is going to be a waiting game.

The reason IMO this is a must buy is because this is one unit that did well and was not over exposed or pimped out with 50 different classic releases.  

I remember the release week of the turbo graphic.  That was a tough one because the genesis had just been released.  Both were sitting side by side but both wanted 199.00.  Which back in the late 80's was a lot of money.   At the time I chose the genesis.  Turbo had the arcade game Vigilante at the time but the Genesis box art was bad ass.  The turbo was ahead of it's time with the cartridge  \ chip and people didn't know what to make of it.  

The reason IMO this is a must buy is because this is one unit that did well and was not over exposed or pimped out with 50 different classic releases.

I remember the release week of the turbo graphic. That was a tough one because the genesis had just been released. Both were sitting side by side but both wanted 199.00. Which back in the late 80's was a lot of money. At the time I chose the genesis. Turbo had the arcade game Vigilante at the time but the Genesis box art was bad ass. The turbo was ahead of it's time with the cartridge \ chip and people didn't know what to make of it.
Small correction, the Genesis was $189.99 and the TG16 was $199.99. And the chip card thing had already been done on the Master System.

Their biggest mistake was coming out a year too late, if it came out the previous year (1988) it would have cleaned up. Then drop the CD attachment to counter the Genesis in 1989. As it was, the Genesis had a week or two to sit on the shelves ahead of the TG16 and had a load of well known Sega titles (or sequels) and the TG16 had a bunch of lesser known arcade games and other games. Keith Courage and Altered Beast were both really shitty pack in games, but people at least knew Altered Beast. Personally I bought the Genesis it for Ghouls n' Ghosts (which people knew from the arcade), but Legendary Axe relied on word of mouth.

The TG16 was always hamstrung by the fact that much of the amazing Japan library couldn't be brought over. This is one case when the Japan version is almost a no brainer over the US version. It'll be much more compact and likely have a far superior set of games.

I'd LOVE to see them put Lords of Thunder, Forgotten Worlds (yes, better than Genesis) & the entire Bonk/Zonk series on it.
Even better if Splatterhouse had the option of US or Japanese version; white hockey mask + upside down cross!

Small correction, the Genesis was $189.99 and the TG16 was $199.99. And the chip card thing had already been done on the Master System.

Their biggest mistake was coming out a year too late, if it came out the previous year (1988) it would have cleaned up. Then drop the CD attachment to counter the Genesis in 1989. As it was, the Genesis had a week or two to sit on the shelves ahead of the TG16 and had a load of well known Sega titles (or sequels) and the TG16 had a bunch of lesser known arcade games and other games. Keith Courage and Altered Beast were both really shitty pack in games, but people at least knew Altered Beast. Personally I bought the Genesis it for Ghouls n' Ghosts (which people knew from the arcade), but Legendary Axe relied on word of mouth.

The TG16 was always hamstrung by the fact that much of the amazing Japan library couldn't be brought over. This is one case when the Japan version is almost a no brainer over the US version. It'll be much more compact and likely have a far superior set of games.
189 \ 200 that was a lot of money back then. Then ask them to pony up more for a cd attachment? Ghouls and ghost came out about a month after launch because I was able to exchange Last battle for it. LOL Sega had the arcade name at the time that helped boost them. Plus sega made the ultimate move a few months after launch they ran an ad buy a a genesis and get a free game ( one of 4 you choose) and a controller. The Mgr hooked me up again bless her. The mailed me thunder force 2

It was a tough battle overall for the turbo. But they had vigilante a double dragon clone and it was a close to arcade port.

189 \ 200 that was a lot of money back then. Then ask them to pony up more for a cd attachment? Ghouls and ghost came out about a month after launch because I was able to exchange Last battle for it. LOL Sega had the arcade name at the time that helped boost them. Plus sega made the ultimate move a few months after launch they ran an ad buy a a genesis and get a free game ( one of 4 you choose) and a controller. The Mgr hooked me up again bless her. The mailed me thunder force 2

It was a tough battle overall for the turbo. But they had vigilante a double dragon clone and it was a close to arcade port.
Vigilante wasn't a great game, it was a clumsy Kung Fu Master clone, not really Double Dragon. Legendary Axe was by far the best game at or near release, the main issue is no one had heard of it over here. Last Battle was indeed hot garbage, at least in Japan it had a pretty decent license upon which it was based. Sega's master move was making Sonic a pack in game, that's when it went nuts.

That's why I think TG16 should have released in '88. A year ahead of the Genesis (still a good year after the Japan release in '87). It would have been much more impressive then. Then drop the CD the next year in '89 next to the Genesis because having an expensive upgrade available practically the day it came out was just insulting to people.

Vigilante wasn't a great game, it was a clumsy Kung Fu Master clone, not really Double Dragon. Legendary Axe was by far the best game at or near release, the main issue is no one had heard of it over here. Last Battle was indeed hot garbage, at least in Japan it had a pretty decent license upon which it was based. Sega's master move was making Sonic a pack in game, that's when it went nuts.

That's why I think TG16 should have released in '88. A year ahead of the Genesis (still a good year after the Japan release in '87). It would have been much more impressive then. Then drop the CD the next year in '89 next to the Genesis because having an expensive upgrade available practically the day it came out was just insulting to people.
Vigilante may not have been great but it was popular at least at the arcades I went to. IMO that pack in was nice but but if I recall they had a

nice base by the time they did that especially with Madden's release. The genesis poster of the upcoming games was sick. Phantasy star 2, that game was $10 bucks more 69.00. 2 golden axe

The pack in gave them a mascot and help push their blast processor hype. The controller and a free game was a hundred dollars worth of savings. That was hard to pass up. The hook back then was try to get as close to the arcade as you can get. LOL legendary Axe was a great game the mags tried hard to push it.

Vigilante may not have been great but it was popular at least at the arcades I went to. IMO that pack in was nice but but if I recall they had a

nice base by the time they did that especially with Madden's release. The genesis poster of the upcoming games was sick. Phantasy star 2, that game was $10 bucks more 69.00. 2 golden axe

The pack in gave them a mascot and help push their blast processor hype. The controller and a free game was a hundred dollars worth of savings. That was hard to pass up. The hook back then was try to get as close to the arcade as you can get. LOL legendary Axe was a great game the mags tried hard to push it.
Yeah, Vigilante wasn't very big elsewhere. I knew about it (I worked at an arcade that got all the gaming press stuff) but only saw it a few times in larger arcades. I actually had the Sega Master System version of it which wasn't bad.

Phantasy Star 2 was $69.99. but it was $20 more expensive than most games which were $49 to $54 (Ghouls n Ghosts). Madden and Lakers vs. Celtics did give the console a big boost in the fall of '90, but it did have the advantage of having Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe come out in January '90 after release which were huge arcade games. Sega just had a much better arcade pedigree and they also put some focus into sports games which is what helped the US audience.

TG16 just had a much bigger hill to climb being alongside the more powerful Genesis that had Sega's name on it. Add in most of the best games on it were not things people recognized from the arcades (since we didn't have the Internet back then).

TG16 just had a much bigger hill to climb being alongside the more powerful Genesis that had Sega's name on it. Add in most of the best games on it were not things people recognized from the arcades (since we didn't have the Internet back then).
Most of the best Turbografx games didn't get released in America, you mean. It had a ton of fantastic arcade ports and recognizable properties like Castlevania, Street Fighter, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Populous, Bomberman '94, etc. that simply weren't released in English. "Johnny Turbo," a producer there, apparently tried to release many of those games, but was often shot down, for whatever reason.

Most of the best Turbografx games didn't get released in America, you mean. It had a ton of fantastic arcade ports and recognizable properties like Castlevania, Street Fighter, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Populous, Bomberman '94, etc. that simply weren't released in English. "Johnny Turbo," a producer there, apparently tried to release many of those games, but was often shot down, for whatever reason.
Yeah, I mentioned that earlier - where the Japan version of the mini was almost certainly more desirable. Part of the reason for not bringing them over back then is licensing and money. Sega obviously wasn't going to let them compete on their headline titles (like Golden Axe), but they did let them have some of the older ones where they didn't see it as equal competition (Space Harrier where the Genesis had part 2, and Fantasy Zone/Monster Lair which were never big in the US). And Capcom and Konami were very hesitant to piss off Nintendo, they only ventured into the Genesis in the US once it became big enough to shoulder the risk. TG16 never had a big enough install base to even try to bring over Castlevania (not to mention it required the CD, which was even smaller of a base), and by the time SF2CE hit the PC Engine, the TG16 was just about toast in the US and not worth it since it also would require release of the six button controller.

It really was a shame all the console war shenanigans back in the 90s where unlike today they couldn't all have cross platform games. Nintendo were really dicks about competition back in the Howard Lincoln era.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier - where the Japan version of the mini was almost certainly more desirable. Part of the reason for not bringing them over back then is licensing and money. Sega obviously wasn't going to let them compete on their headline titles (like Golden Axe), but they did let them have some of the older ones where they didn't see it as equal competition (Space Harrier where the Genesis had part 2, and Fantasy Zone/Monster Lair which were never big in the US). And Capcom and Konami were very hesitant to piss off Nintendo, they only ventured into the Genesis in the US once it became big enough to shoulder the risk. TG16 never had a big enough install base to even try to bring over Castlevania (not to mention it required the CD, which was even smaller of a base), and by the time SF2CE hit the PC Engine, the TG16 was just about toast in the US and not worth it since it also would require release of the six button controller.

It really was a shame all the console war shenanigans back in the 90s where unlike today they couldn't all have cross platform games. Nintendo were really dicks about competition back in the Howard Lincoln era.

I couldnt find it right off hand but I remember reading in some article that if interest was high enough konami was considering releasing the pc engine versions from europe and japan in america as limited/special editions. Although I dont know if thats actually accurate or not. Considering they would need to translate the Japanese one Im sure I dont know if it would really happen or not but if it did that would be cool.

You and me both man. I have fond memories of my TGFX-16...the initial batch of games are mostly great so far. But, no one has even mentioned Legendary Axe, Keith Courage In Alpha Zone, Blazing Lazers!!!! We also need Devil's Crush, which is better than Alien Crush...Bloody Wolf (which was Capcom's Commando on steroids), Side Arms, Vigilante, Dragon Spirit, Forgotten Worlds, Ordyne, and the complete Bonk's series.

We can skip China Warrior, mainly because my friends laughed and made fun of me after I bought it and ran through it for a mere 10 minutes. That game sucked. I did return it to Babbages. I swear! :cry:

What I really hope is that Konami takes their emulation serious and doesn't half-ass it. I mean, look at what they did with one of their prized franchises in the Silent Hill Collection for PS3?

For me this is going to be a waiting game.
Babbages is not a name you hear often now. I remember shopping there for my games when I was a kid. Got some Mario beanie plushes from there too. Pretty sure they latter became part of the EB games/ gamestop franchise. I used to love that store in my mall in south FL.

I couldnt find it right off hand but I remember reading in some article that if interest was high enough konami was considering releasing the pc engine versions from europe and japan in america as limited/special editions. Although I dont know if thats actually accurate or not. Considering they would need to translate the Japanese one Im sure I dont know if it would really happen or not but if it did that would be cool.
Yeah, true or not, they should actually offer the TG16 as the limited edition, and just release the PCE one here as the standard. Lets be honest, the TG16 barely sold here, and as a case of record, I would say the PC Engine has way more brand recognition than the TG16. Do they even have enough games to fill the US version of this? I say just offer the PCE as the stand alone, and offer the US version of games, as well as some Japanese ones and call it a day.

I only bought a TG16 at the time, so I could get a cheap option for the CD drive, as importing was way high for my PCE. This isn't the SNES, where even though Japan & EU had the more appealing system visually, many US gamers only knew the NA version. So a system like that made sense, but for this, outside of a rather small group, no one has much feeling for the TG16 except for mostly bad ones for the missed opportunity.

Babbages is not a name you hear often now. I remember shopping there for my games when I was a kid. Got some Mario beanie plushes from there too. Pretty sure they latter became part of the EB games/ gamestop franchise. I used to love that store in my mall in south FL.
I did a lot of my early and mid-90's game shopping at Babbages. They definitely became part of EB Games/Gamestop, though not sure the exact time they did.

Yeah, true or not, they should actually offer the TG16 as the limited edition, and just release the PCE one here as the standard. Lets be honest, the TG16 barely sold here, and as a case of record, I would say the PC Engine has way more brand recognition than the TG16. Do they even have enough games to fill the US version of this? I say just offer the PCE as the stand alone, and offer the US version of games, as well as some Japanese ones and call it a day.

I only bought a TG16 at the time, so I could get a cheap option for the CD drive, as importing was way high for my PCE. This isn't the SNES, where even though Japan & EU had the more appealing system visually, many US gamers only knew the NA version. So a system like that made sense, but for this, outside of a rather small group, no one has much feeling for the TG16 except for mostly bad ones for the missed opportunity.
But remember, youre looking at through a hardcore gamers eyes. I dont mean that as a diss but youre in the minority and the point of this is to make money and you do that by appealing to as broad of an audience you can. A lot of people dont even remember the tg16 we had, let alone even heard of a pc engine. Hell I own a tg16 and cant even name one game that was on pc engine we didnt have on tg16. Tg16 at least gives them some brand recognition here in the states.

Im not going to nitpick one bit though, Im just glad they are trying something as cool as this and hoping they do a good job of it. Not as many good titles or not this could lead the way to more stuff like this.

But I get what youre saying.

There are many older systems that got "redesigns" for their US release that were noticeably inferior to their original Japanese counterparts. The NES and SNES are usually pointed at for exactly that. Turbo Grafx 16 is also a common example. The US unit was bulky and awkward, while the Japanese PC Engine was slim, minimalist, and just all-around better-looking.

On the plus side, hard-core collectors will have the option of importing the Japanese version, an especially attractive proposition if the game line-up for it is different enough from it's US counterpart. (which seems quite likely) Let's just hope they pull a similar move to Sega and have different language options on the system.

But I get what youre saying.
Yeah, I wasn't even looking at it from the hardcore side of things, but just as a normal consumer during the time period these where first released. The PCE was in every gaming publication on a rather regular basis due to how damn cool that system was, and how many people wanted to see a US version. But when all was said and done, I personally still found more people interested in the PCE over the TG16 because of what was offered, and the overall cool look and feel to the source hardware.

And this was my point, as there will be very few people in the US who have any feeling about the TG16 one way or the other. As you had one, and still wanted a PCE because they had more and better games, or you where like me, and only got the TG16 for English versions of Japanese games, or a cheaper alternative to importing.

So yeah, I see your point as well, but it kind of shows what I was stating. As very few people care about the TG16 as it was offered here, and while some may not know about the PCE, anyone who would be buying this, most certainly would. And for the few of us who actually owned a TG16, it was only because it was all we got offered, but I would have rather gotten the PCE as is, than what we got. I think if they just offered the PCE in all regions, it would probably serve them better than offering the TG16(cost savings), but of course, there will be licensing issues as well that would need to be considered, so my suggestion is probably pie in the sky either way. LOL

I think the TG16, was similar to the PS Vita in its day. Not a lot of people had them but those who did were kind of all in on the system, buying imports and lots of games (high attachment rate). Lots of independent game shops carried converters for the hu cards so you could play PC Engine games on the TG16 and the CDs worked without a converter until they complicated things with Super CDs and then they still worked so long as you had the right card.
Maybe just a different experience, but I don't recall seeing PC Engine systems in the game shops around me but they certainly all sold the converter.

Part of why this TG16 mini is desirable is also the much smaller interest in the TG16 in the retro console space. Legacy systems like the NES, SNES, and Genesis have recently gotten numerous retro re-imaginings. Analogue in particular has been bringing the heat with FPGA-powered repro systems. But we haven't seen the same attention for the TG16, and it's unlikely that we will. There isn't enough attention and not enough stock for legacy games in the second-hand market to warrant it.

The TG16 mini is a decent solution to this. Now if only Konami hires a capable team to handle the emulation, and gets a sizable roster for the game line-up. Most of these retro devices actually have a fairly substantial amount of built-in flash memory, so there should be plenty of room. And having CD-games in the roster from the word go is very encouraging.

I think the TG16, was similar to the PS Vita in its day. Not a lot of people had them but those who did were kind of all in on the system, buying imports and lots of games (high attachment rate). Lots of independent game shops carried converters for the hu cards so you could play PC Engine games on the TG16 and the CDs worked without a converter until they complicated things with Super CDs and then they still worked so long as you had the right card.
Maybe just a different experience, but I don't recall seeing PC Engine systems in the game shops around me but they certainly all sold the converter.
Eh, the import scene for TG16 wasn't as huge as you think. Sure among hardcore gamers they did it alot, but I worked in an Electronics Boutique back in college when it was a current product and was surprised people that owned it did not know about that option to expand their libraries with great games.

So much wasted potential. Done right it could have eaten the NES's lunch and had a good install base prior to the Genesis release. But by the time it actually hit here it wasn't the most powerful and the library led most average gamers to go "huh?". Then you had a poor pack in game with Keith Courage and they spent so much time trying to convince people China Warrior was good with those big huge characters. TG16 had a crappy launch lineup with a couple gems and almost immediately you were told to get the full "experience" you needed to drop another $400 right after dropping $200 for the system, and another $50 or so for a tap and another controller.

Eh, the import scene for TG16 wasn't as huge as you think. Sure among hardcore gamers they did it alot, but I worked in an Electronics Boutique back in college when it was a current product and was surprised people that owned it did not know about that option to expand their libraries with great games.

So much wasted potential. Done right it could have eaten the NES's lunch and had a good install base prior to the Genesis release. But by the time it actually hit here it wasn't the most powerful and the library led most average gamers to go "huh?". Then you had a poor pack in game with Keith Courage and they spent so much time trying to convince people China Warrior was good with those big huge characters. TG16 had a crappy launch lineup with a couple gems and almost immediately you were told to get the full "experience" you needed to drop another $400 right after dropping $200 for the system, and another $50 or so for a tap and another controller.
Not trying to start an arguement, but I said the independent game shops carried imports and converters. EB was a large retailer with stores in most malls when TG16 came out (at least around here). NES hit the US in 1985 (83 in Japan), PC Engine was 87 in Japan and 89 in the US and I do agree if it had hit the market prior to the Genesis, we would be having a different conversation.
I remember the CD unit hitting stores after the main unit and I had the base for a year or so before getting the CD unit. I still have the boxes for both and wonder if I might still have the sales receipt in the box. It was a long time ago...

Not trying to start an arguement, but I said the independent game shops carried imports and converters. EB was a large retailer with stores in most malls when TG16 came out (at least around here). NES hit the US in 1985 (83 in Japan), PC Engine was 87 in Japan and 89 in the US and I do agree if it had hit the market prior to the Genesis, we would be having a different conversation.
I remember the CD unit hitting stores after the main unit and I had the base for a year or so before getting the CD unit. I still have the boxes for both and wonder if I might still have the sales receipt in the box. It was a long time ago...
No not at all, I got it. I was just referring to the average customer in Electronics Boutique that showed interest in the TG16 that I talked to back then. I was a bit of a pain in the ass for my manager, I liked to give people advice that wasn't the best saleswise for our store, and that included keying TG16 owners in on the fact that their library wasn't as limited as it appeared - I was just surprised I had to do that so often.

Quick reminder to post your most wanted games and suggestions in the comments section on Konami's officlal facebook page under the  TG-16 Mini Thread.  They are using social media to fuel which follow-up titles to release and any other interests or concerns that consumers might have for the micro console.  

I'll post there in a bit

I'd probably suggest:

Rondo of blood

gate of thunder/lords of thunder

Beyond Shadowgate

legendary axe 1 and 2

bonk/zonk entire series

neutopia 1 and 2

splatterhouse

exile and exile 2

parasol stars

cadash

as many shooters as possible

r type

cotton

the darius games

blazing lazers

raiden

salamander

shockman

vasteel 1 and 2

This is a pretty solid list if we get half of these.

I am probably forgetting a few.  I am guessing we get none of these and instead get keith courage and some other trash.  

Konami JP provided a top-20 list of the most requested titles for the PC Engine/TG-16 Mini from fans on their social media feeds :

1. Snatcher  (cyberpunk graphic adventure from Hideo Kojima)
  2. Magical Chase  (side-scrolling shooter)
  3. Emerald Dragon  (RPG)
  4. Linda Cube  (psycho thriller and hunting RPG ; 18+ rating for violent scenes)
  5. J.J. & Jeff  (side scrolling platform game)
  6. Tokimeki Memorial  (Life sim / dating game)
  7. Spriggan mark 2 : Re-Terraform Project  (side-scrolling shooter) 
  8. Valkyrie no Densetsu  (The Legend of Valkyrie ; action role-playing arcade game)
  9. Tengai Makyou: Ziria  (Ziria: Far East of Eden ; turn-based RPG)
  10. Ys IV : Dawn of Ys  (action RPG)
  11. Cho Aniki  (somewhat homoerotic side-scrolling shooter)
  12. Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru (Ziria: Far East of Eden 2 ; turn-based RPG) 
  13. Bikkuriman World  (port of Wonder Boy in Monster Land ; arcade platform)
  14. Momotaro Densetsu II  (Peach Boy Legend II ; rpg)
  15. Momotaro Katsugeki  (platform game starring Peach Boy)
  16. Star Parodier  (parody of Super Star Soldier ; side-scrolling shooter)
  17. Image Fight II  (vertical shooter)
  18. Coryoon : Child of Dragon  (spritual successor of Air Zonk for PC Engine)
  19. Lords of Thunder  (side-scrolling shooter)
  20. Soldier Blade  (vertical shooter)

Pretty solid list, but hopefully this will not mean Konami intends to limit the game library to less than 30 titles.   

What I'd care to play the most would be Bonk 1, 2, & 3, Air Zonk, Super Air Zonk, Soldier Blade, & maybe JJ&Jeff (just for nostalgia).

bread's done
Back