TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @kinjimuto! It has been utterly confusing determining if these were exclusive to Amazon Japan or not. I'm getting the TurboGrafx-16 model as I'm in the US and have Prime, so this is perfect. Good luck to everyone on obtaining their preferred version!

Overall I think this is a solid value. I'd rather a collection of games that featured NA/JPN versions like in the Contra collection or at least less overlap, but there's still a ton of gameplay here. And we're getting Sapphire, so talk about a neat bonus. Long story short, I no longer have my TurboDuo, really the only relatively major system from that time I don't own. I never managed to rebuild that part of my game collection, so this is a nice way of being able to fill in that gap.

It's gone up in the other regions, just not here. I've been looking since 3:00 am EST!

Probably waiting for the West Coast people to wake up

(or for me to look away from the screen for five minutes until they're all sold out)

Is there and official controller and multitap for this? Or is it going to be some unofficial/official controller from a 3rd party? Id like to get one also but I cant find it.
I've only seen the Hori ones so far. Not sure if there is going to be an official Konami one or not.

It sucks that Japan's went online at EXACTLY midnight Tokyo time and they have to play this guessing game with U.S. customers.

Hopefully I don't miss it.

Although, looking at twitter, not a lot of people are complaining about the delay or asking when it will go live.

Maybe it's not as popular as I think.

Oh shut up and take my money already

I’ll buy one of these and play it forever . Hell I may buy 2 in case the first breaks

Now that I think about it not many Americans got the neo geo mini. Probably not a good sign for the tg classic in the USA. It will probably do well in Europe and japan

Oh shut up and take my money already

I’ll buy one of these and play it forever . Hell I may buy 2 in case the first breaks

Now that I think about it not many Americans got the neo geo mini. Probably not a good sign for the tg classic in the USA. It will probably do well in Europe and japan
The neo geo mini was also incredibly flawed, making a portable device that had to be plugged in at all times. I actually picked up the international version from the Amazon warehouse for 60 yesterday, but when the reviews came out for it, the hype train derailed.

When I think about it,  of the mini consoles, the only ones that have been tough to get so far have been the ones by Nintendo.

The NES and SNES are popular with both hardcore and casual mainstream consumers. It'd make sense that they would be in high demand.

Maybe the TG16 consoles will be easy to get if Amazon ever decides to get their act together and actually put it up for sale.

Been waiting since 3:00 am this morning! Come on Amazon USA!!!

I bet some west coast folks have been waiting through the night since midnight their time.

Not sure if this helps anyone but HORI has their multi-tap, controller, and power brick on Amazon.com and available for preorder.  I wonder if this means the system wont include a power brick?

$29.99 Hori Turbo Tap for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

$24.99 Hori Turbo Controller for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

$19.99 Hori AC Adapter for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

Seems like this thing is going to end up a bit pricey for anyone not happy with just getting the console.   If the system is $100 then to do a 5 player setup will add another $120 in controllers + 25 for the adapter... so $245 total IF the system comes with a power brick.  I'd imagine most people have extra power bricks.   Seems like the controllers should be no more than $10 like the NES Classic even if they include some turbo settings it's basically the same controller.

Not sure if this helps anyone but HORI has their multi-tap, controller, and power brick on Amazon.com and available for preorder. I wonder if this means the system wont include a power brick?

$29.99 Hori Turbo Tap for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

$24.99 Hori Turbo Controller for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

$19.99 Hori AC Adapter for Turbografx-16 Mini - Not Machine Specific

Seems like this thing is going to end up a bit pricey for anyone not happy with just getting the console. If the system is $100 then to do a 5 player setup will add another $120 in controllers + 25 for the adapter... so $245 total IF the system comes with a power brick. I'd imagine most people have extra power bricks. Seems like the controllers should be no more than $10 like the NES Classic even if they include some turbo settings it's basically the same controller.
Thanks, are these Hori items licensed? I guess they claim to be albeit with incorrect capitalization... 'Official multitap for the turbografx-16 mini'.

Also, it's like the PS Classic - no AC Adapter included.

I know it's too late but going over games in my collection that Hudson Soft/Konami pretty much developed & released that probably should have been the list of games. Hitting 50 NA releases was Easy and would have kept license fees next

Thanks, are these Hori items licensed? I guess they claim to be albeit with incorrect capitalization... 'Official multitap for the turbografx-16 mini'.

Also, it's like the PS Classic - no AC Adapter included.
Looking at the the japanese amazon site, the multi-tap, controller & AC adapter are also being made by ホリ (aka Hori). Looking at a few other sources (including play-asia), it appears this is the only official option for the multi-tap, controllers, & power brick.

Thinking a bit about the multi-tap, it's just a USB hub. It's possible other generic USB hubs might work with this... though they won't look as cool.

It worked for me. You have to make a new account that's separate and sign up for the free trial of Amazon Prime Japan afterwards.

Yep, it is live.  Press the "See All Buying Options" button.  The only one is sold by Amazon (of course) for $99.99.

^Same for me.  I was able to click on "Other Sellers on Amazon: 1 new from $99.99" which ended up being sold from Amazon anyway.

Received my preorder confirmation email right after I finalized the preorder.

Good luck, everyone!

Snagged the system, turbotap, and 4x controllers because I'm out of my mind.
Hesitant to buy the AC adapter, feel like the USB on my TV might be able to power this or I can find a cheaper one.

I'm actually pretty hyped for this one. I don't collect for this console, so it'll be nice to have it in some capacity. Hopefully it'll be easily moddable and I can have the entire library on it...

If they were years earlier with the Nintendo ones maybe I could have saved my money and time collecting for those haha.

Based on this article, there is a probability that additional titles will be included to the final mix of pre-loaded games.   So for now, consider the list as "50 Titles ANNOUNCED" rather than "50 Titles TOTAL" as the countdown to the official release date is still many months away.  Happy pre-ordering!

Based on this article, there is a probability that additional titles will be included to the final mix of pre-loaded games. So for now, consider the list as "50 Titles ANNOUNCED" rather than "50 Titles TOTAL" as the countdown to the official release date is still many months away. Happy pre-ordering!
Would be a pleasant surprise to see more added to it because I don't know that tg16 has a deep enough library for a second one, might as well go big on it.

I'm just hoping snatcher has English like so many Japanese games do. That's a big one for me in this but I'm not holding my breath.

Would be a pleasant surprise to see more added to it because I don't know that tg16 has a deep enough library for a second one, might as well go big on it.

I'm just hoping snatcher has English like so many Japanese games do. That's a big one for me in this but I'm not holding my breath.
I literally just read this article and was coming here to post about the potential great news!

I seriously hope this producer is telling the truth and not just running damage control to garner greater pre-order numbers. Also, is there any news as to who is responsible for the emulation? I've yet to find any articles concerning this.

But if they slap Legendary Axe, Splatterhouse, Bloody Wolf, and Vigilante to the list, I'll personally fly a cargo plane over Konami HQ and make it rain $$$$!

KU16AnU.gif

Got my JPN version. Apparently it comes with a bonus soundtrack? 

[Prime Day commemorative sale] PC engine mini (with recording game original music (the number of songs is undecided))

[Prime Day commemorative sale] PC engine mini (with recording game original music (the number of songs is undecided))

Okay, call me crazy, but isn't the Multi-Tap they're pitching for this thing a little pointless? As near as I can tell, this whole thing is using standard USB, similar to how the Playstation Classic did it. (and how the Genesis Mini is also going to be handling their controllers) In theory, any standard USB hub ought to work for adding multi-player support to this device. And I already own several of those, in multiple forms. So the Hori one that is being pitched is likely just a Turbo-Grafx themed USB hub. The only reason to get that one in particular is for the appearance. I'm going to wait on getting any official accessories.

It's likely that most USB controllers would also work on this thing. The only reason for buying extra "official" ones is for the retro appearance.

Okay, call me crazy, but isn't the Multi-Tap they're pitching for this thing a little pointless? As near as I can tell, this whole thing is using standard USB, similar to how the Playstation Classic did it. (and how the Genesis Mini is also going to be handling their controllers) In theory, any standard USB hub ought to work for adding multi-player support to this device. And I already own several of those, in multiple forms. So the Hori one that is being pitched is likely just a Turbo-Grafx themed USB hub. The only reason to get that one in particular is for the appearance. I'm going to wait on getting any official accessories.

It's likely that most USB controllers would also work on this thing. The only reason for buying extra "official" ones is for the retro appearance.
Nope, you're absolutely right. Any USB hub is going to end up working I'm sure, it's definitely cosmetic for that piece.

As far as the controllers, not sure if others will work out of the box but again, you're right, I'm sure others will at the very least when the console is hacked.

EDIT - While I preordered 4 controllers, I might cancel those just depending on the cord length.

I was thinking I wanted the Core Graphx, looks like ordering from Amazon Japan shouldnt be an issue.

Random question, with the TG16 and the Japanese games do you think someone will patch them for english? I really wanna play Snatcher

I was thinking I wanted the Core Graphx, looks like ordering from Amazon Japan shouldnt be an issue.

Random question, with the TG16 and the Japanese games do you think someone will patch them for english? I really wanna play Snatcher
Hopefully with this coming out it'll encourage someone to do so.
Only 4 of the PC Engine games will require knowing Japanese, but one of those (Jaseiken Necromancer) does have an English patch in existence. These are the other 3 games...

- Appare! Gateball
- Snatcher
- Super Momotaro Dentetsu II

bread's done
Back