TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least we all are getting what we want....even if i am the only one here that has good taste. ;) All joking aside I wonder if analogue will make one some day

Said no one ever. The Turbografx-16 is huge and fugly compared to the PC Engine.
I love my PC Engine Duo R, looks sleek next to my other consoles. Even with an Everdrive and a legitimate copy of Snatcher, I am looking forward to this.
For me personally it's CoreGrafx > TG-16 > PC-Engine as far as design goes.

Well at least we all are getting what we want....even if i am the only one here that has good taste. ;) All joking aside I wonder if analogue will make one some day
Even though I enjoy the CoreGrafx design more, I couldn't help but buy the TG-16. So I'm right there with you actually!

Said no one ever. The Turbografx-16 is huge and fugly compared to the PC Engine.
You gotta understand the time period. They were going for the "toy" look. The Genesis hadn't really caught on with its more technical look and they were trying to get the Nintendo crowd to upgrade. But yeah, it is bad - from the design to the gaudy neon colors of the lettering. Probably part of why it failed with early adopters, it looked like a toy in a time when people were actually looking for a more "advanced" thing. And once the 16 bit generation caught on their inability to capitalize on the superior Japan catalog while SNES and Genesis were rolling out hits just finished them off.

Personally I'm getting it for nostalgia. I have a good setup on Raspberry Pi to play the games, but I guess I'm just to the point of collecting the mini consoles from my favorite generation when I was in college.

You gotta understand the time period. They were going for the "toy" look. The Genesis hadn't really caught on with its more technical look and they were trying to get the Nintendo crowd to upgrade. But yeah, it is bad - from the design to the gaudy neon colors of the lettering. Probably part of why it failed with early adopters, it looked like a toy in a time when people were actually looking for a more "advanced" thing. And once the 16 bit generation caught on their inability to capitalize on the superior Japan catalog while SNES and Genesis were rolling out hits just finished them off.

Personally I'm getting it for nostalgia. I have a good setup on Raspberry Pi to play the games, but I guess I'm just to the point of collecting the mini consoles from my favorite generation when I was in college.
How the hell does it look like a toy? It looks like every bulky electronic from the 90s lol

You gotta understand the time period. They were going for the "toy" look.
I thought they were going more for the new Audio/Video component look. Since it's front loading it fits well in a media cabinet of the day right on top of the VCR. The top loaders all look like toys since they need extra room for changing games and can't easily fit into a standard setup. Even the game boxes were thin CD style jewel cases which were cutting edge for their time as this was the late 80's before CD game systems.

You gotta understand the time period. They were going for the "toy" look. The Genesis hadn't really caught on with its more technical look and they were trying to get the Nintendo crowd to upgrade.
You should take your own advice. The Genesis had been out roughly a month when the Turbo launched, so there was no impact whatsoever on its design.

You're knocking an item from the 90's for having gaudy neon colors. You realize EVERYTHING cool was gaudy and neon colored, right? Ever watch "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" or "In Living Color"?

You should take your own advice. The Genesis had been out roughly a month when the Turbo launched, so there was no impact whatsoever on its design.
And the Mega Drive (which only had minor differences from the Genesis) was out close to a year prior to the Genesis.

You're knocking an item from the 90's for having gaudy neon colors. You realize EVERYTHING cool was gaudy and neon colored, right? Ever watch "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" or "In Living Color"?
Yes, as someone who lived through that period I am perfectly, cringingly aware of the fascination with neon colors at the time. My point was they were aiming at the younger crowd because at the time video games were considered "kids things". That generation was when people stopping viewing it entirely that way with the older folks and it was more socially acceptable.

I also preordered the US model, mainly to support Konami releasing this type of product in the US. Looks-wise, it would be Japan all the way for me.

I also preordered the US model, mainly to support Konami releasing this type of product in the US. Looks-wise, it would be Japan all the way for me.
I got the US one as well just because it's the same as what I had as a kid so it tugs at my nostalgia strings seeing it. Plus if one day way down the road should it be worth anything and I sell it when I'm old you generally can sell game related stuff a lot easier in its country of origin.

I remember playing this at toys r us as a kid, but never knew anyone who owned one. I’m excited to pick this up and experience this side of gaming that I never got a chance to

I remember playing this at toys r us as a kid, but never knew anyone who owned one. I’m excited to pick this up and experience this side of gaming that I never got a chance to
I remember drooling over the Turbo Express behind the glass at TRU. That thing was way ahead of its time and I still don’t think I’ve ever held one.

I remember drooling over the Turbo Express behind the glass at TRU. That thing was way ahead of its time and I still don’t think I’ve ever held one.
I'm stunned someone like Hyperkin hasn't made a new/modern version of it. I would be all over that thing.

i couldn't agree more. In my opinion if they kept the look the same as the Japanese version and released a great arcade port or two alongside the release(like R-Type) it would've really impressed people given the size and made them more likely to buy it.

Honestly I would argue amongst the Master System, Nintendo and PC Engine both the PC Engine and Master System look GREAT and compete lookswise for #1. I don't consider the Nintendo or the Famicom close here.

As far as the Mini goes I may buy it but I'm looking at the Japanese one mainly for "Tokimeki Memorial" as the exclusive and its fame especially given that this is the first release of it. If Konami would include it on the TG16 Mini I'd consider buying it to show my support like you are.

The Final Seven games announced

SPLATTERHOUSE
Dragon Spirit
Galaga '88
The Genji and the Heike Clans
The Legend of Valkyrie
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Spriggan Mark 2

The Final Seven games announced

SPLATTERHOUSE
Dragon Spirit
Galaga '88
The Genji and the Heike Clans
The Legend of Valkyrie
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Spriggan Mark 2
I was already sold and pre-ordered one right away, but now I am justified even more! I really hope Konami doesn't figure out a way to screw this up, the line up is fantastic.

A lot of Namco love there. Not a shock as they were big supporters of the PC Engine. Glad to see the original Spriggan make the cut!

Along with the newly announced games, Konami also confirmed that it IS in fact M2 who is working on the software for this thing. Wow, it has been a BIG year for M2, with a lot of retro emulation projects on their plate. And anyone who pre-ordered the Turbo-Grafx 16 mini can rest easy knowing that the interface and emulation will both be solid.

Along with the newly announced games, Konami also confirmed that it IS in fact M2 who is working on the software for this thing. Wow, it has been a BIG year for M2, with a lot of retro emulation projects on their plate. And anyone who pre-ordered the Turbo-Grafx 16 mini can rest easy knowing that the interface and emulation will both be solid.
Well good grief, that alone makes my decision to pre-order a lot more satisfying. WTF is up with Konami? When did they start making actual good decisions?

Awesome to see them showing shmup fans so much love. There are a ton of shmups on the platform, so I was hoping they would at least include a few on the mini. They've done better than that. Seeing that M2 is involved makes everything even better. Only bad thing is that it will be a long wait until the mini is released.

Awesome to see them showing shmup fans so much love.
That's true. The Turbo-Grafx Mini is going to be a fantastic place to play some classic shmups. It doesn't hurt that shmups are a genre that generally don't require much reading, so most of the Japan-only versions of those games will still be playable, no matter what your native language happens to be.

Well good grief, that alone makes my decision to pre-order a lot more satisfying. WTF is up with Konami? When did they start making actual good decisions?
Man, don't jinx us, as I'm sure they have some next level stupid ass decisions waiting on stand-by.

That's true. The Turbo-Grafx Mini is going to be a fantastic place to play some classic shmups. It doesn't hurt that shmups are a genre that generally don't require much reading, so most of the Japan-only versions of those games will still be playable, no matter what your native language happens to be.
Definitely so. The games list, shmups and non-shmups, on this mini is probably my favorite of all the mini consoles. I wish there were even more included given the price. Of course it really won't matter if the thing gets hacked.

Although Legendary Axe, Vigilante, and Bloody Wolf didn't make the cut...sadly...I have to say the inclusion of Splatterhouse, Dragon Spirit, and the other PC Engine titles are a game-changer for me.

Not to mention the best news of all, that being M2 steering the development ship! I didn't expect this at all and agree with others in being shocked that Konami are making numerous correct decisions with this, which is strikingly against their nature.  ;)

And hey, there could be the chance of more unlockable games...hopefully. 

I didn't expect this at all and agree with others in being shocked that Konami are making numerous correct decisions with this, which is strikingly against their nature. ;)
It didn't surprise me that much, but for different reasons. Konami has put out several retro-compilations recently on digital platforms. And they hired M2 to do the development for all of them. It makes sense that they would go back to a company that they already have a working relationship with in order to develop the software for the Turbo-Grafx mini. It doesn't hurt that those retro-compilations have gotten generally favorable reviews, especially for the stability and accuracy of their emulation. And of course, M2 have been the go-to house for accurate high-quality emulation for a while. It's a reputation they enjoy through long experience.

Snatcher won't be in English at all correct? Just to be clear.
That's the info I've heard so far, but Konami is bringing their "A" game to this situation, so who knows what else they may pull out of the bag of tricks? Only time will tell, but as of now, it's supposed to be the Japanese version, which never got an English translation. Technically the game is pretty much the same as the Sega CD with a few tweaks and changes here and there, so they could use the script from that game, and be way ahead of things in regards to a translation.

I don't put much hope in that happening, but I wouldn't have put much hope in regards to Konami doing something like this in the first place. Let alone how well they seem to be doing, so if this new Konami is still looking to impress, an English translation would be the cherry on top! LOL

Rumor has it they are also looking to re-release Metal Gear Solid V with a retooled story and Ground Zeros integrated into the game as the prologue. Konami certainly seems like they are looking to get back into the good graces of gamers.

That's the info I've heard so far, but Konami is bringing their "A" game to this situation, so who knows what else they may pull out of the bag of tricks? Only time will tell, but as of now, it's supposed to be the Japanese version, which never got an English translation. Technically the game is pretty much the same as the Sega CD with a few tweaks and changes here and there, so they could use the script from that game, and be way ahead of things in regards to a translation.

I don't put much hope in that happening, but I wouldn't have put much hope in regards to Konami doing something like this in the first place. Let alone how well they seem to be doing, so if this new Konami is still looking to impress, an English translation would be the cherry on top! LOL
Well I'll hope for the best but expect to be disappointed then I suppose. I was under the impression it would no way be in english but some hope is better than none. I'm really hoping it will be as I want to play this again very badly. I got it when it first came out on Sega CD but that was so long ago and I didn't really appreciate games much then so it would be like playing it for the first time.

Now if they would just let us play policenauts then I'd be happy, i was always interested in that game.

Thanks.

Well I'll hope for the best but expect to be disappointed then I suppose. I was under the impression it would no way be in english but some hope is better than none. I'm really hoping it will be as I want to play this again very badly. I got it when it first came out on Sega CD but that was so long ago and I didn't really appreciate games much then so it would be like playing it for the first time.

Now if they would just let us play policenauts then I'd be happy, i was always interested in that game.

Thanks.
I honestly could see Konami doing an HD release of Snatcher and Policenauts as part of a collection for current gen consoles. They'd easily be able to sell them together separately or in a collection. I'd be shocked if they translate Snatcher on the TG16 mini though.

I'd be shocked if they translate Snatcher on the TG16 mini though.
The issue is that the technical and manpower hurdles for such an inclusion are substantial. The game has been translated on other platforms, but there is no official translated version for the TG16. (or PC-Engine) So content that could be used as a source exists. But localization is more than just having the content. There are very real technical hurdles in squeezing that kind of content into the original data format of the game. This is where the differences in displaying Japanese and English text on legacy systems come into play. And all of this is just assuming a focus on translating the text. Let's not forget that this was a CD game, and has a fully voiced cast of characters. A proper localization would also include English dubbing, which is a whole other can of worms.

If M2 were to include English text, that alone would be a huge addition. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for translated audio, though. Only time will tell. M2 is already going to have a huge workload just with the base-level emulation of this many titles. It seems like a stretch to think that they would also have the time to add a localization for a previously Japan-only adventure game. But hey, it's not impossible.

The issue is that the technical and manpower hurdles for such an inclusion are substantial. The game has been translated on other platforms, but there is no official translated version for the TG16. (or PC-Engine) So content that could be used as a source exists. But localization is more than just having the content. There are very real technical hurdles in squeezing that kind of content into the original data format of the game. This is where the differences in displaying Japanese and English text on legacy systems come into play. And all of this is just assuming a focus on translating the text. Let's not forget that this was a CD game, and has a fully voiced cast of characters. A proper localization would also include English dubbing, which is a whole other can of worms.

If M2 were to include English text, that alone would be a huge addition. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for translated audio, though. Only time will tell. M2 is already going to have a huge workload just with the base-level emulation of this many titles. It seems like a stretch to think that they would also have the time to add a localization for a previously Japan-only adventure game. But hey, it's not impossible.
I agree with that. We also have no idea how long they have been working on this thing either. You'd think they'd have already thought about translation and like you said it's a lot more work than simply updating the text in the code. I would be very happy if they managed to get English text in though, but honestly wouldn't care much if the audio was translated or not, I'd rather have the Japanese audio track anyway. Just be nice to be able to read what is being said.

I was more than willing to write this off like I do most of these mini-consoles, but dammit if this hasn't gotten more tempting all of a sudden.  I haven't played ANY of these games except a couple of the super-popular titles like R-Type.

I missed the boat on the TG-16, and I didn't even know it was a thing until probably the mid-2000s.  As I've seen someone else put it, it would be like "a wave of nostalgia from an alternate timeline".

I finally got to preorder. I am so excited for this mini. One of my favorite games of all time (probably in my top 50) is Military Madness. This game requires a good amount of strategy but is also not super complex. I love how it feels like all hope is lost and then things turn around. I also appreciate that the results of a single battle between two troops is never set in stone. That slight bit of good or bad luck really means a lot. The music, the graphics, the gameplay. I can't wait!

bread's done
Back