TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of why this TG16 mini is desirable is also the much smaller interest in the TG16 in the retro console space. Legacy systems like the NES, SNES, and Genesis have recently gotten numerous retro re-imaginings. Analogue in particular has been bringing the heat with FPGA-powered repro systems. But we haven't seen the same attention for the TG16, and it's unlikely that we will. There isn't enough attention and not enough stock for legacy games in the second-hand market to warrant it.

The TG16 mini is a decent solution to this. Now if only Konami hires a capable team to handle the emulation, and gets a sizable roster for the game line-up. Most of these retro devices actually have a fairly substantial amount of built-in flash memory, so there should be plenty of room. And having CD-games in the roster from the word go is very encouraging.
For me the TG16 mini is incredibly desirable as I have always wanted a TG16 but never had one as a kid and the few times I've played the actual hardware I really enjoyed it. I've been trying to come across a decent deal on the console for years, but they just don't pop up around me very often and when they do they are usually priced very high. Then there are the games which can get insanely expensive due to exactly what you mentioned with the system just not being that popular and the number of games out in the wild being a fraction of what is out with the Nintendo and Sega consoles for the most part.

I am already sold on this and am just waiting for the chance to pre-order one at this point.

Sheesh if this is done well, and they choose good games, I’d be a happy man just playing classic consoles like tg classic and snes classic instead of modern day games

Sheesh if this is done well, and they choose good games, I’d be a happy man just playing classic consoles like tg classic and snes classic instead of modern day games
I've thought before that just a hacked SNES classic would be enough...or a retropi... but then stuff like Zelda BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, DQ XI-S, Shenmue 3, Skyrim, or something else comes along and reminds me that I still love modern gaming and it's not time to retire to just retro games. Granted I'm buying fewer games each year... but still having some of the best times gaming as ever in my life.

Lmao @ JJ and Jeff being in that poll's top five. Awesome.

I own a TG-16 and about 15-20 games. I treasure the set, and it's one of a select few parts of my collection that I plan to keep indefinitely. However, I may still buy the TG-16 Mini if they throw in some titles that just aren't feasible to buy the OG copies of.

"Magical Chase" and "Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise" in particular would sell me on the system very quickly.

Lmao @ JJ and Jeff being in that poll's top five. Awesome.

I own a TG-16 and about 15-20 games. I treasure the set, and it's one of a select few parts of my collection that I plan to keep indefinitely. However, I may still buy the TG-16 Mini if they throw in some titles that just aren't feasible to buy the OG copies of.

"Magical Chase" and "Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise" in particular would sell me on the system very quickly.
Well, let's wait for it to come out, if it is super easy to add games, the way it was the snes classic, then that will be a good selling point

Interesting, the PC Engine version even got a few Supergrafx titles. Really bummed the US version drops so many CD games, I would’ve expected at least some of these to make the cut:

Gates of Thunder
Dungeon Explorer 2
Super Air Zonk (1st one is still best)
Dynastic Hero
Cotton
Beyond Shadowgate
Loom
Working designs catalog

Granted copyrights or straight up lack of exposure for US Turbo CD games could be the main problem.

My understanding is that every territory is getting all the games on that list, minus Tokimeki Memorial which will only be available in Japan.

My understanding is that every territory is getting all the games on that list, minus Tokimeki Memorial which will only be available in Japan.
The list looks pretty official. Why would they put all the games on two separate lists onto the U.S. version? I'd like that to be the case but it doesn't add up?

From what I understand it's 50 games total so all regions will get all of these titles. Pretty awesome list of games despite some glaring omissions. I am definitely picking one up without question though.

Most of the Japanese games have translated versions or need little translations

Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Snatcher
China Warrior
Bonk's Adventure
Super Darius
Super Star Soilder
Ghosts N Goblins
Paradious
Gradius
Gradius II
Fantasy Zone
Bomberman 94
Aldines

TokiMeki Memorial And Galaxy Frauline Yuna I'm sure are tied to anime licenses and are not coming here ever. Necromancer is text heavy. Gateball nah. Super Mono Tarou Denetsu II highly unlikely. Cho Aniki who the hell knows ???

From what I understand it's 50 games total so all regions will get all of these titles. Pretty awesome list of games despite some glaring omissions. I am definitely picking one up without question though.
I understood it as there will be 3 versions in 3 regions and if konami saw enough interest they would consider releasing the other 2 regions in America as limited editions. Of course I could be completely wrong and whatever site I saw that on was talking out of their ass. I cant find where I saw that.

In any case I am just really excited to see this at all. Just really hoping they put some effort into the quality. If they do and it sells well we could see other obscure systems get released. Just hope the genesis mini and this come out built well, good selection of games, and good emulation to follow the nes and SNES to set the bar for others.

Konami will sell the TG-16 Mini exclusively thru Amazon and will release on March 19, 2020.  Pre-orders will open up beginning on PRIME DAY (Monday, July 15).  More details to be added to OP.   In summary, there will be around 50 games total (24 American versions, 26 Japanese PC Engine versions) and cost approx. $100 based on conversion from the Japanese pricing.

Konami will sell the TG-16 Mini exclusively thru Amazon and will release on March 19, 2020. Pre-orders will open up beginning on PRIME DAY (Monday, July 15). More details to be added to OP. In summary, there will be around 50 games total (24 American versions, 26 Japanese PC Engine versions) and cost approx. $100 based on conversion from the Japanese pricing.
Ready to pre-order one first thing Monday.

Yep, it sounds like there will be three different physical versions, but only one version of the software. This seems likely. International releases like this often benefit from having a single software version, with the option of switching the menu languages.

The upside is that there is finally going to be a commercial release of Snatcher that is affordable. The downside is that it will be in Japanese, so brush up on your Kanji.

Uggh, only through Amazon?  Hopefully this thing is big enough where they don't stuff them in large bubble mailers.

Yep, it sounds like there will be three different physical versions, but only one version of the software. This seems likely. International releases like this often benefit from having a single software version, with the option of switching the menu languages.

The upside is that there is finally going to be a commercial release of Snatcher that is affordable. The downside is that it will be in Japanese, so brush up on your Kanji.
Yeah, I was gonna ask about if these Japanese releases where going to get English, as Snatcher was the one game I cared about. To my knowledge the PC Engine had a fan translation in the works, but not sure if it was ever finished. I have the SEGA CD version, but would have liked to give the PC Engine version a run through. Having that on a system in Japanese and unplayable to most seems a HUGE slap in the face, as that's probably one of the best games being offered.

Having that on a system in Japanese and unplayable to most seems a HUGE slap in the face, as that's probably one of the best games being offered.
Well, there's nothing stopping you from learning Japanese. I mean, aside from the cultural disparity, and obvious sizable time commitment.

It's not impossible for Konami to provide a translated version. But it's also not likely. And they DEFINITELY won't be translating all of the games on that list. That would be a massive effort and expense. I'm still hoping that they've hired M2 for this project. But even a developer like M2 can't just magically make a translation happen. Localizations, especially of older, constrained titles are a huge effort. Our only real hope on that one is if at some point the work was already done, and they just have to include it. That happens sometimes. And I suppose that a determined developer could simply take the text translation from the Sega CD version, and try to work it into the Turbo-CD version.

All this is just speculation, though. It's also possible that hackers post-launch will figure out a way to patch a translation in. Sooner or later, hackers always have their way with these mini-consoles. I seem to recall having a few games in my Steam library that teach you how to read Japanese. I'm going to give those a try.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from learning Japanese. I mean, aside from the cultural disparity, and obvious sizable time commitment.

It's not impossible for Konami to provide a translated version. But it's also not likely. And they DEFINITELY won't be translating all of the games on that list. That would be a massive effort and expense. I'm still hoping that they've hired M2 for this project. But even a developer like M2 can't just magically make a translation happen. Localizations, especially of older, constrained titles are a huge effort. Our only real hope on that one is if at some point the work was already done, and they just have to include it. That happens sometimes. And I suppose that a determined developer could simply take the text translation from the Sega CD version, and try to work it into the Turbo-CD version.

All this is just speculation, though. It's also possible that hackers post-launch will figure out a way to patch a translation in. Sooner or later, hackers always have their way with these mini-consoles. I seem to recall having a few games in my Steam library that teach you how to read Japanese. I'm going to give those a try.
You could always translate as you go by just getting the english translation online. Not the best way to enjoy Snatcher, but I still think Konami will eventually decided to milk the Kojima properties they have rights to and would be shocked if we never get an HD port of both Snatcher and Policenauts. As far as when that happens that's another question, the fact they are even including Snatcher in this gives me hope though.

Oh, absolutely it's a great thing that they're including it. Frankly, I'm very glad that they're including a bunch of Japanese titles in the English release. And a lot of them will even be playable for the non-Japanese speaking. You don't need to understand Japanese to play a shmup like Cho Aniki or Salamander.

I just don't have a lot of faith in Konami as a developer anymore. All of their recent retro-collections have been great, but they've also all been developed by M2 as contract jobs. I would love to get an HD port of Snatcher or Policenauts. But I wouldn't want Konami themselves to develop it. Having it farmed out to a passionate team like M2 would be excellent, but I'm not certain that either of those franchises have the kind of following necessary for an HD remake. They are both fairly obscure titles. Hardcore fans are familiar with them, but not the general public.

Still, cyberpunk as a genre is getting a little bit of a resurgence, so who knows?

That is a pretty solid list, assuming it's true that all 3 regions are getting the same games.

Again, the big bonus will be if it's easy to add games like on the snes classic.  

edit, OK I watched the trailers at Konami's site

It is very very odd we are all getting 2 versions of neutopia 1, two versions of neutopia 2, 2 versions of Ys 1 and 2, 2 versions of military maddness,  2 versions of dungeon explorer.  We are not getting 50 games.  More like 35 and a lot of repeats in another language.  Hopefully we can add games easily like with the snes classic.

I don't quite understand.  Does each version come with it's own games or does each come with all games?  As in 25 games or 50 games?  If I order one from Amazon US will I get Rondo of Blood or do I have to order one from JP?

I don't quite understand. Does each version come with it's own games or does each come with all games? As in 25 games or 50 games? If I order one from Amazon US will I get Rondo of Blood or do I have to order one from JP?
If the articles that came out today are correct, all 3 versions(usa, japan, Europe) get all of the same 50 games, just a different case.

The difference is that the Japanese get Tokimeki Memorial as well( a dating sim with no sex)

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/12/20692052/turbografx-16-mini-retro-console-game-list-release-date-pricing

No legendary axe and no spatterhouse. It's still a pretty solid list considering that we are getting sapphire, rondo of blood, and the rest

It gets a little weirder.  Some of the news sites are saying that only amazon of Japan is doing the pre orders?  Or that only amazon of Japan has announced the pre orders?

I'm guessing the USA amazon will get the usa version, the european amazons will get the coregrafx, and the japanese get the pc engine version.  I would think?

I'm glad they axed making the game list unique between regions. That was going to be a mess. Still, I wish it came with more games without needing to be hacked. For me, Bonk 1 & 3 are essential. The second AirZonk would have been a nice bonus.

It gets a little weirder. Some of the news sites are saying that only amazon of Japan is doing the pre orders? Or that only amazon of Japan has announced the pre orders?

I'm guessing the USA amazon will get the usa version, the european amazons will get the coregrafx, and the japanese get the pc engine version. I would think?
I read somewhere it goes up on the US site on Monday (Prime Day).

Wow disappointed that it includes doubles and non translated games. I know it's a small miracle that this even exists but pretty lame. I am glad that I own most of these already (Snatcher & Light Gun Sega CD). Feels like a missed opportunity.

I was really excited about this, but now I’m a bit confused. It comes with 50 games, but not 50 individual games since there are repeats? That seems odd. Why do I need two copies of Ys I & II? Is there some major difference between the two?
Also, can I still enjoy the games if they aren’t translated? Snatcher has been so hyped up, that’d be a pretty big bummer... not going to translate as I go due to gaming time constraints.

I was really excited about this, but now I’m a bit confused. It comes with 50 games, but not 50 individual games since there are repeats? That seems odd. Why do I need two copies of Ys I & II? Is there some major difference between the two?
Also, can I still enjoy the games if they aren’t translated? Snatcher has been so hyped up, that’d be a pretty big bummer... not going to translate as I go due to gaming time constraints.
Only a handful of Japanese text-heavy PC Engine games are on the list ( Snatcher, Jaseiken Nacromancer, and Super Momotaro Dentetsu II). The remainder are import friendly or somewhat understandable with the usual internet or youtube video guide if you get stuck.

BTW, the accessory pricing is pretty steep.

Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There is only about 4 duplicates.
Have you never actually looked at Snatcher? It's a visual novel/graphic adventure, so unless you know Japanese, it's probably not going to be a good time for you...
I can't speak for all of the games on the PC-Engine portion but the majority should be playable without knowing Japanese.

There is only about 4 duplicates.
Have you never actually looked at Snatcher? It's a visual novel/graphic adventure, so unless you know Japanese, it's probably not going to be a good time for you...
I can't speak for all of the games on the PC-Engine portion but the majority should be playable without knowing Japanese.
Honestly, hadn’t looked much into it. Everyone was raving about it, didn’t t think it was Japanese only. I could never get my hands on a TurboGrafx as a kid, so I was looking forward to this. If the rest are still playable without translation, that’ll work. I just don’t get the two versions of included games, or games that aren’t translated. Seems like a weird move by Konami. Guess I’m on the fence about it now.

Honestly, hadn’t looked much into it. Everyone was raving about it, didn’t t think it was Japanese only. I could never get my hands on a TurboGrafx as a kid, so I was looking forward to this. If the rest are still playable without translation, that’ll work. I just don’t get the two versions of included games, or games that aren’t translated. Seems like a weird move by Konami. Guess I’m on the fence about it now.
They're doing it so they can just clone the same image between all 3 mini consoles I'm sure. (which is probably why all 3 include a USB cable but not the AC adapter)

You're still getting 40+ games after removing duplicates & Japanese text heavy games. Add to the fact how incredibly expensive a TG-16/PC-Engine system and most of the games are (plus the inevitably of this being hacked to add more games) I think it's still worth it for sure... the controllers & multi-tap pricing however are a bit ridiculous.

For anyone curious, these are all the multiplayer (multi-tap required) games.

Appare! Gateball ---- 5 players
Bomberman '93 ---- 5 players
Bomberman '94 ---- 5 players
Cadash ---- 2 players
Chew-Man-Fu ---- 2 players
Cho Aniki ---- 2 players
Dungeon Explorer ---- 5 players
Military Madness ---- 2 players
Momotarou Densetsu ---- 4 players
Moto Roaders ---- 5 players
Ninja Spirit ---- 2 players
Panic Bomber ---- 5 players
Parasol Stars ---- 2 players
Power Golf ---- 3 players
Salamander ---- 2 players
Sapphire ---- 2 players

How bizarre that they added Japanese text-based games to the console.

I’m definitely getting one but it’s so odd...
Is it? My understanding is that the Genesis Mini will have multiple languages for its games. Of course, each territory will get its own selection of games...

Soooo....

$100

Yeah, no.

And while they did at least include Blazing Lazers...there are sooooooo many state-side titles missing (Legendary Axe 1...and to a lesser extent...LA:2). But also, Keith Courage: In Alpha Zone, when this system was initially released!!!!

And again...where the HELL is Legendary Axe? Not to mention...Splatterhouse. And so many others!?

For me, it's a disappointment  And for the love of SHIT!!!  Apparently Konami has NOT learned the HARD lessons of SEGA.

Sorry guys...it's been a looooong time since I've vented.  

I cannot stand the suits of today. :beer:

Soooo....

$100

Yeah, no.

And while they did at least include Blazing Lazers...there are sooooooo many state-side titles missing (Legendary Axe 1...and to a lesser extent...LA:2). But also, Keith Courage: In Alpha Zone, when this system was initially released!!!!

And again...where the HELL is Legendary Axe? Not to mention...Slaughterhouse. And so many others!?

For me, it's a disappointment And for the love of SHIT!!! Apparently Konami has NOT learned the HARD lessons of SEGA.

I totally forgot about Keith Courage, as that should have been a default title for sure. And if I was gonna pick a second default title, Legendary Axe would have been it(if not #1). Yeah, and if this is actually $100 at retail, they better be fully translating that version of Snatcher, as that's about the only way I see this moving at that price.

And yeah, the suits are the suits at this point, as pretty much any and everything they touch is eventually destroyed. Sadly, it's become an infestation with no end in sight, until every business worth a damn is destroyed from the inside out. On the flip side of that coin, I do hear TrU is coming back later this year, which that NEVER happens. So hopefully they have a team in place that knows what made TrU good in the first place, as well as a good understanding of how to do business in today's online infrastructure.

The console pricing itself is ridiculous - $99 in the US if I have seen correct reports. Did they completely miss what Sony just did?
Sony's problems were poor emulation, poor hardware, lack of analog controllers, and to a lesser extent, odd game choices/not that many games.

Soooo....

$100

Yeah, no.

And again...where the HELL is Legendary Axe? Not to mention...Slaughterhouse. And so many others!?

For me, it's a disappointment And for the love of SHIT!!! Apparently Konami has NOT learned the HARD lessons of SEGA.

While I agree with you that Legendary Axe & Slaughterhouse are definitely big ones missing, the list of games included is really good. They knocked it out of the park with getting a huge amount of the most popular TG-16/PC-Engine titles. There is definitely far more here than there is missing for the key titles.

All of you complaining about this being $100 as well, go figure out how much it would be to get the original hardware, the proper hookups, as well as all of the titles that come with the console. Maybe that'll make you all realize how much of a steal the console is. Obviously some need to see how the hardware of the mini performs first, otherwise this is a no-brainer.

The console pricing itself is ridiculous - $99 in the US if I have seen correct reports. Did they completely miss what Sony just did?
Yeah, the issue here wasn't $100 per se, as Sony is the only other company besides "N" who has a very rich and successful history in gaming and who is still making hardware. Once most 3rd parties left "N" over the N64 cart vs. CD debate, almost everyone went to Sony, and PS1 and PS2 software and hardware shows that support. Those are two of the most successful gaming systems of all time, so the $100 wasn't the big issue, as done right, it could have easily asked that price.

What they did offer wasn't worth $20 in it's current state, and it sat on shelf's because of that. If they had offered one dual shock with one standard controller, and games that people wanted, along with proper emulation, it would have sold fine. The $100 here is indeed going to be a hurdle, not because of the line up, as most fans think its fine, but due to the lack of name recognition for the product. This is part of what did in the Neo-Geo mini(plus their game list was debatable), as diehards will pay a premium, but the average consumer won't. And the PCE/TG16 just didn't have that many fans outside of Japan. At least not enough willing to pay $100, for what is currently offered, that's why I said something like Snatcher in English for the first time(PCE version), as that would probably help more casuals take the plunge.

I have all the major games for this system and Snatcher on Sega CD so its not a total loss for me. But it would be nice to play the missing major games on the mini so I don't have to use my actual games and systems if not necessary. I have most TG16 games complete in boxes (boy, was that expensive) so I like to keep my boxes in nice shape and not continually open them and take a chance of creasing the boxes. I am anal about that but I will play them when I get the urge to.

You can get it from Amazon Japan right now. I ordered mine from them already, but I will cancel if the U.S. Amazon sells them.

I'm hoping all three systems are not a Japan exclusive!

You can get it from Amazon Japan right now. I ordered mine from them already, but I will cancel if the U.S. Amazon sells them.

I'm hoping all three systems are not a Japan exclusive!
They're not, Amazon UK has both the PC-Engine and CoreGrafx up currently.

EDIT - Well Amazon UK took down the listing for the PC-Engine (Japan ver). CoreGrafx is still there

bread's done
Back