* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#451 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

They destroyed the aesthetic aspect of it by not offering a matching option.  Hori really dropped the ball here. 

Look for some TurboPads to go up on eBay now that the 8bitdos are out. That said, I think these reissue pads are too stiff - both Dpads and buttons. I'm looking forward to my 8bitdo partly in the hope it plays better.  :/

The only other USB pads that currently work are the Retro-Bit Sega controllers, and they require a button macro to go into a compatible mode. We're going to need a mod to open up the ports.

Makes me wonder.... do the new controllers match the old 1:1? if so, what would stop someone from swapping the white shell controllers with an original black one? May have to try this....

Nobody's confirmed this online except that the turbo switch mechanisms are apparently different. That alone would make me fear the pad wouldn't go back together correctly. Oh, yeah, and the USB cable is much thinner than the original TG controller cable.

Maybe you can be the first to try  :)

The one thing I gathered from the one or two teardowns out there is that the contact membranes may at least be swappable.

#452 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10172 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

Just got mine, bastards put it in a bubble mailer.

#453 IronChariot   In My Country There Is Problem CAGiversary!   3262 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

IronChariot

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:18 PM

Just got mine too and it was in a cheap paper thin mailer, not even a bubble mailer. There are a lot of dents, but i probably better keep it given the times. And the AC adapter it was bundled with got delayed and doesn't have a release date yet.

#454 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1199 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:37 PM

The USB controller ports on my coregrafx mini stopped accepting input today :(

#455 bigbadboaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

bigbadboaz

Posted Yesterday, 12:08 AM

Relatively common problem, unfortunately. What were you using as a power supply?

Just got mine too and it was in a cheap paper thin mailer, not even a bubble mailer. There are a lot of dents

It's really unbelievable Amazon continues to do this, and there seems to be little pushback.

Chariot, I would absolutely get that replaced if I were you. Now would be the time when supply is likely to be at its highest.

#456 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1199 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 AM

Relatively common problem, unfortunately. What were you using as a power supply?

I use this USB charging hub for all of my mini systems: https://www.amazon.c...i_DkCYEbZVYSZMP

Sucks that I have to ship back to Japan now and it does not appear to be an easy process. I think shipping back costs more than the unit and they won’t refund shipping until they test the unit and confirm a defect.

#457 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 AM

Just got mine too and it was in a cheap paper thin mailer, not even a bubble mailer. There are a lot of dents, but i probably better keep it given the times. And the AC adapter it was bundled with got delayed and doesn't have a release date yet.

I got mine today too, basically in a plastic bag thinner than one you'd find at the grocery store. As I was opening it, I was expecting the worst and to my amazement, no damage to the tg16 box at all (or at least no worse than any I've ever grabbed off a shelf at Target). I seriously don't even know how that's possible.

It seems like 99.9% of everything I've ever ordered from Amazon (including memory cards and cloth items) has come in a box. Why they chose an Amazon exclusive collector's item that has been on preorder for over a year to start breaking out the bags is mind boggling. It's almost like they wanted a bunch of them to be returned...

#458 Ketsui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1331 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 01:20 AM

The USB controller ports on my coregrafx mini stopped accepting input today :(

This is my worst fear on my core grafx. Hopefully the return process will be smooth for you

#459 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5045 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Are any of you waiting to see how easy it will be to add games like with the snes mini?

The snes mini was amazing, and I imagine the turbografx mini will be as well but I am not in a rush, it's not a day one purchase for me.  

#460 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2822 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Are any of you waiting to see how easy it will be to add games like with the snes mini?

Mine arrived yesterday, so no, I'm not waiting.

And I don't have any real regrets on this one. I cracked it open and plugged it in today, and it's actually looking quite good. The menus are easy to navigate, and run nice and snappy. They are also relatively simple and intuitive, even a small amount of experimenting will get the results you're looking for. I occasionally had problems with the Sega Genesis mini when attempting to navigate through the menu. It would occasionally jump over more than one option. That is not a problem with the TurboGrafx 16 mini.

The controller appears to be a faithful reproduction, and feels fairly good in the hands. It's a bit on the light side, but that's not surprising. The D-Pad and buttons feel fairly responsive and I was able to play several games without any issues.

The exterior of this thing is spot-on. They even included the colored tab under the power switch, to let you know when the thing is on. In fact, they even included the tiny plastic tab that is intended to keep the cartridges locked into place while the system is active, even though there is no slot for cartridges. On the TurboGrafx 16 version, they also included the back-cover as a removable section, and cleverly used it as a cable organizer, with slots for keeping the power and HDMI cables nice and neat. This was a good use of what was originally a poor design on the part of the original TG16. It may be the ugliest of the versions, but they did a good job of miniaturizing it.

I likely won't bother attempting to mod it. I may get a second copy down the line, especially if prices fall off. (and especially if I can get one of the Japanese PC-Engine models) Maybe I would indulge in modding then. But for now, the selection of games is actually quite solid. Most of the major contenders are present and accounted for. Demon's Crush, and possibly a few of the TV Sports series are the only games that I would consider missing. 

#461 Madzane  

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Chuckled a little seeing it got a rating of M by ESRB, guessing the gore in Snatcher is the culprit as even Splatterhouse is mild by today’s standards.

#462 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4198 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 PM

Sounds like this is the best mini to be released, at least for me. Tons of games I like, great menu operation, faithful console reproduction. Only thing is the absence of a second controller included to match the first.

I think my rankings for these consoles (in stock form, no games added) is TG16 mini > SNES mini > Genesis mini > NES mini > PS mini

#463 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2054 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 PM

I also agree this thing is great.  I even tried Lords of Thunder, the one that people complained had input lag and it was just fine, and had no issues with it.  Either they fixed it in the interim, people are using it on slower refresh TVs or they are far more sensitive to it than I am (and I tend to notice it).

What I don't like is the cover off the back makes it more of a pain to disassemble if you want to put it away.  You have to take the cover off and feed the wires through to plug them in, and the power cable has a small catch to make it go in where it goes.  Fine if you are going to leave it out, but a pain if you pack it up between sessions.

#464 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

I also agree this thing is great. I even tried Lords of Thunder, the one that people complained had input lag and it was just fine, and had no issues with it. Either they fixed it in the interim, people are using it on slower refresh TVs or they are far more sensitive to it than I am (and I tend to notice it).

What I don't like is the cover off the back makes it more of a pain to disassemble if you want to put it away. You have to take the cover off and feed the wires through to plug them in, and the power cable has a small catch to make it go in where it goes. Fine if you are going to leave it out, but a pain if you pack it up between sessions.

I plan to only keep the cover on while not in use since all of my mini consoles are plug in play into the same power and hdmi cables.

#465 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2822 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

I might rate the Genesis Mini over the SNES mini. While the Genesis mini has a few issues, it also has a fantastic selection of games, all well emulated. The SNES mini has a much more truncated list of title, with some fairly glaring omissions. Part of this is just because the SNES library is so legendary, but still.

The good news is that the TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine mini is way better than the Playstation Mini. Anyone who pre-ordered isn't going to be sorely disappointed by their purchase. And anyone waiting on a better deal has something to look forward to.

I'll be keeping an eye on 8bitdo going forward. They've been good in the past about updating their USB wireless adapter to work with these mini consoles. I'm hoping they do the same for the TurboGrafx mini. It's not likely for us to see a Turbo-specific controller from them, but at least having wireless support for their existing USB adapter would be nice.

#466 ashram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1294 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

same.... luckily only 1 dent that can only be seen as the right angle.

Mine arrived yesterday, so no, I'm not waiting.

The controller appears to be a faithful reproduction, and feels fairly good in the hands. It's a bit on the light side, but that's not surprising. The D-Pad and buttons feel fairly responsive and I was able to play several games without any issues.

I noticed the sizing is a little difference, as the bump on the center (where the logo is) is actually taller than my original turbopad (1st thing I checked, 2nd was sitting it on top of my original TG-16) I agree it is light in hand, and well, I have 30 years of play on my turbopads so this one feels a bit stiff.  I was hoping the controllers were a 1:1 reproduction should I could place some old pads in new housings to match my Duo R, but oh well.

#467 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1199 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 12:16 AM

I'll be keeping an eye on 8bitdo going forward. They've been good in the past about updating their USB wireless adapter to work with these mini consoles. I'm hoping they do the same for the TurboGrafx mini. It's not likely for us to see a Turbo-specific controller from them, but at least having wireless support for their existing USB adapter would be nice.

8BitDo's TurboGrafx controller just started shipping