* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#481 Strider Turbulence EX  

Strider Turbulence EX

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:09 AM

I got my mini, box is fine. 

I won't be able to play it for a few days but I'm looking forward to it. I'm assuming Snatcher isn't translated into English just by this thread and the Internet not blowing up about it.

#482 ElvisTheGreat   Daddy CAG Veteran   54 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

ElvisTheGreat

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:27 AM

I got my mini, box is fine.
I won't be able to play it for a few days but I'm looking forward to it. I'm assuming Snatcher isn't translated into English just by this thread and the Internet not blowing up about it.

It's not. This is my first time with the console in any capacity and I happened to try Snatcher. Didn't know what the hell to do. Had to just move to another game

#483 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:41 AM

So what's the one most accurate to the original aspect ratio on the turbo, the first one? The third one looks kind of squished.

Without getting too technical, there are five options: two for emulating the 4:3 screen size you would have seen when playing games on older televisions, a “pixel perfect” mode that displays pixels perfectly square (but not authentic to how they were originally presented), one for stretching games to the full height and width of modern day HDTVs (don’t even think about it), and a curious final option that makes it look like you’re playing games on the Turbografx-16’s portable variant, the TurboExpress.

fyi, Pulled this from a website :)

TLDR Center and Fill are the 4:3 options that most resemble the old crt tv you would have played the tg 16 on.

#484 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2075 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:13 AM

one for stretching games to the full height and width of modern day HDTVs (don’t even think about it),

LOL, you say that but there are people that want the stretch so they don't feel their TV is being wasted.  Had a manager back in the 90s that got upset that DVD movies were letterbox with black bars because it "wasted space".  And my father in law made his laptop desktop a picture of my kids stretched all the way across.  I saw it and fixed it, zooming in some, making the aspect correct but it still left some space since it was a vertical oriented photo on a widescreen laptop.  Woke up the next morning and he made it stretched back out.  He also took a really nice framed family photo we gave him with a good quality matte around the photo, scanned in the photo on his PC and blew it up on his printer and reframed it without the matte because that frame wasted "too much space".  Picture looks like shit now, but he likes it so whatever, just wish we had bought him a cheap ass frame instead of a nice one.  People have weird tastes.

#485 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:10 AM

Without getting too technical, there are five options: two for emulating the 4:3 screen size you would have seen when playing games on older televisions, a “pixel perfect” mode that displays pixels perfectly square (but not authentic to how they were originally presented), one for stretching games to the full height and width of modern day HDTVs (don’t even think about it), and a curious final option that makes it look like you’re playing games on the Turbografx-16’s portable variant, the TurboExpress.

fyi, Pulled this from a website :)

TLDR Center and Fill are the 4:3 options that most resemble the old crt tv you would have played the tg 16 on.

Thanks. I think the only thing that tripped me up is I guess I always thought pixel perfect corresponded with the true aspect ratio (i.e., 4:3). But here it doesn't even seem close to it and in fact looks pretty jacked. Second option with scanline applied definitely seems the best to me.

#486 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:25 PM

Thanks. I think the only thing that tripped me up is I guess I always thought pixel perfect corresponded with the true aspect ratio (i.e., 4:3). But here it doesn't even seem close to it and in fact looks pretty jacked. Second option with scanline applied definitely seems the best to me.

That is what I use as well. I choose center on my arcade machine when there is a nice game specific bezel to justify the slightly smaller play area.

Had no issues playing New Adventure Island, Bonks Revenge, R-Type, and Rondo of blood.

The UI is really slick...can’t wait to be able to mod it with more games and retain the UI.

Like the other mini consoles, will buy a second for a cheaper price (hopefully?) that remains unmodded. Might wait to mod until then.

#487 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

That is what I use as well. I choose center on my arcade machine when there is a nice game specific bezel to justify the slightly smaller play area.

Had no issues playing New Adventure Island, Bonks Revenge, R-Type, and Rondo of blood.

The UI is really slick...can’t wait to be able to mod it with more games and retain the UI.

Like the other mini consoles, will buy a second for a cheaper price (hopefully?) that remains unmodded. Might wait to mod until then.

Yeah I might do the same. I actually really love this console so far. I don't know why I was anticipating disappointment. This thing has been great in every way.

#488 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   4266 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:10 PM

Whats funny is I have a Turbo Duo with about 150 card and CD games and I still look forward to playing this mini. I guess its the convenience of not pulling out my games that are complete in box and taking a chance of messing up the condition of the box. It took me a long time and lot of money to get complete games for my Turbo-Grafx fix. The cardboard boxes are the hardest to find compared to the games themselves. It is one of my most prized system collections of all I got.

#489 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2826 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

"Pixel-perfect" can be a bit of a misnomer.

The technical issues plaguing classic games can get pretty involved, but most of it breaks down to CRT monitors vs. modern LCD displays. CRT monitors are, by their very nature, good at handling different resolutions. LCD monitors are NOT good at handling different resolutions. Scaling low-resolution games to run on modern LCD screens is a constant challenge.

For this mini console, the first of the five options will give you a display that is correctly vertically scaled, but has been horizontally stretched to match the original 4:3 aspect ratio of classic CRT screens. The third option gives you a square-pixel display, that is correctly scaled both vertically and horizontally based on the original output resolution of the system itself.

And there's part of why they are different. Older gaming systems typically rendered their games at 256 x 240 pixels. This is very close to a 1:1 aspect ratio. But those games would then be displayed on CRTs with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Since CRTs were good at handling multiple resolutions, it was possible for them to just take that almost square aspect ratio and scale it to fill the whole screen. Pretty much all retro gaming systems were designed to have their games displayed with rectangular pixels.

Modern screens absolutely suck at displaying stretched pixels, so a lot of retro gaming companies and emulation studio have to bend over backwards to provide different display options. Graphical issues from this effect different games in different ways. For games where there isn't a lot of scrolling, the first option is probably fine. Lots of motion on the whole screen can cause some noticeable graphical issues with the 4:3 option, but for games with not that much full-screen motion, it's not a problem. Also, a game that scrolls horizontally will have more noticeable issues than a game that scrolls vertically. The third option is the best for avoiding any and all graphical issues. Since it has exact pixel scaling, it is able to avoid most of the scaling issues that crop up. I would recommend the third option for games that have LOTs of horizontal scaling, like Darius or Salamander.

#490 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2826 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:59 PM

8BitDo's TurboGrafx controller just started shipping

I hadn't even noticed that they were releasing this, but yes, you are absolutely right. There is now an 8bitdo TurboGrafx 2.4 Ghz controller option. It looks like it has limited compatibility, and is primarily intended for this micro console. It is still a welcome option though. Some of their other 2.4ghz options have been nice, and quite affordable.

#491 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:03 AM

Whats funny is I have a Turbo Duo with about 150 card and CD games and I still look forward to playing this mini. I guess its the convenience of not pulling out my games that are complete in box and taking a chance of messing up the condition of the box. It took me a long time and lot of money to get complete games for my Turbo-Grafx fix. The cardboard boxes are the hardest to find compared to the games themselves. It is one of my most prized system collections of all I got.

Same here... I have a Duo and Express Portable and it's to the point where that stuff is far beyond it's original intent and is now more an investment property than anything else.

#492 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

played some more last night (rondo, ninja gaiden, bonks adventure, salamander, etc) using pixel perfect with scanline filter on a 50” samsung tu8000 tv (game mode) and it looked and felt great.

as far as 4:3 shimmer issues, i read that for the sega mini that a workaround is to set the mini to 16:9 and then have your tv scale it to a 4:3 picture.

also, don’t use a pi power adapter apparently it can fry the controller usb ports. personally, i think i use the nes/snes adapter for all my minis.

#493 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:23 PM

Fyi, just got a shipping update for the extra pc engine controller I ordered but for some reason has been unavailable. Looks like it's coming sometime between jun 5 and 8.

#494 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2604 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

Me too and the Turbo Tap.

#495 Dr_dreadful   Banned Banned   393 Posts   Joined 1.3 Years Ago  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

played some more last night (rondo, ninja gaiden, bonks adventure, salamander, etc) using pixel perfect with scanline filter on a 50” samsung tu8000 tv (game mode) and it looked and felt great.

as far as 4:3 shimmer issues, i read that for the sega mini that a workaround is to set the mini to 16:9 and then have your tv scale it to a 4:3 picture.

also, don’t use a pi power adapter apparently it can fry the controller usb ports. personally, i think i use the nes/snes adapter for all my minis.

Not all USB power adapters are the same. Much like anything electrical related you sbould always check the power requirements and in this case make sure of the Ma/A on the system and the charger. Not all USB chargers are the same. One could be .5 Ma and the next one could be 2.1 A and no one pays attention because most people just think "they look the same and I can use the same cord so they must be the same" and then sit around calling it a piece of shit when it stops working.

#496 kevlar51   eats babies CAGiversary!   1201 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

Not all USB power adapters are the same. Much like anything electrical related you sbould always check the power requirements and in this case make sure of the Ma/A on the system and the charger. Not all USB chargers are the same. One could be .5 Ma and the next one could be 2.1 A and no one pays attention because most people just think "they look the same and I can use the same cord so they must be the same" and then sit around calling it a piece of shit when it stops working.

My guess is the power supply has nothing to do with the USB going bad--that was just speculation thrown out in a forum once and it took off as fact. They're going bad regardless of what people are using.

If the units were THAT sensitive to the USB brick specs, then it would have (should have) come with a specific A/C adapter.

#497 soonersfan60   Longing for retro CAG... CAGiversary!   4441 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

soonersfan60

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:32 PM

Anyone hear talk of hoarding or re-selling these on SlickDeals or Reddit or elsewhere. I'd love to get the system at a discount, but fear the odds are low of this since it's an Amazon exclusive... unless that is for a limited period of time like the Amiibos.

#498 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2075 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:23 PM

Anyone hear talk of hoarding or re-selling these on SlickDeals or Reddit or elsewhere. I'd love to get the system at a discount, but fear the odds are low of this since it's an Amazon exclusive... unless that is for a limited period of time like the Amiibos.

I didn't realize it had sold out.  I hope they restock, it be a shame if price gougers ruined things.  Although it was up for pre-order for almost a year before it came out and available for purchase, so I guess waiting for a price drop is always going to be a risk.  We knew it was exclusive to Amazon, a fairly niche product since the TG16 wasn't big here so it isn't surprising if it is done now.

#499 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

I didn't realize it had sold out. I hope they restock, it be a shame if price gougers ruined things. Although it was up for pre-order for almost a year before it came out and available for purchase, so I guess waiting for a price drop is always going to be a risk. We knew it was exclusive to Amazon, a fairly niche product since the TG16 wasn't big here so it isn't surprising if it is done now.

They had these in stock yesterday so they must have just run out. You definitely have me considering getting a backup now though. Between all the money being spent on Turbotap and extra controllers, I'm going to be pissed if the USB decides to just magically "stop working."

Be nice if whatever this problem really is ends up getting a definitive reveal at some point, so we can get a better sense of if we're possible sitting on a unit with a latent defect that is ready to bust at any given moment. I don't really buy this power adapter nonsense. I just can't believe an established company like Konami wouldn't foresee the potential costs of deliberately releasing something WITHOUT a power adapter that was that sensitive to power adapter ratings, full well knowing 99.99999% of the population is just going to grab anything laying around their house that fits without a second thought.

And if they were aware of that move and still moved forward then damn... the Konami that made Castlevania is officially dead and they need to go back to making slot machines I guess.

#500 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:05 AM

They had these in stock yesterday so they must have just run out. You definitely have me considering getting a backup now though. Between all the money being spent on Turbotap and extra controllers, I'm going to be pissed if the USB decides to just magically "stop working."

Be nice if whatever this problem really is ends up getting a definitive reveal at some point, so we can get a better sense of if we're possible sitting on a unit with a latent defect that is ready to bust at any given moment. I don't really buy this power adapter nonsense. I just can't believe an established company like Konami wouldn't foresee the potential costs of deliberately releasing something WITHOUT a power adapter that was that sensitive to power adapter ratings, full well knowing 99.99999% of the population is just going to grab anything laying around their house that fits without a second thought.

And if they were aware of that move and still moved forward then damn... the Konami that made Castlevania is officially dead and they need to go back to making slot machines I guess.

Well they did release a TG 16 mini without Keith Courage, Legendary Axe 1 and 2, or Devils Crush...just saying

#501 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:35 AM

Well they did release a TG 16 mini without Keith Courage, Legendary Axe 1 and 2, or Devils Crush...just saying

Yeah but one simple hack at some point will at least fix that.

#502 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2075 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

Keith Courage is a bad game, only reason to include it is nostalgia.  That doesn't mean they don't have some other stinkers on there, but Keith Courage is crap.  I still think part of the reason the TG16 didn't catch on is it did not have a solid, recognizable pack in game at a time when that was expected in the US.  Altered Beast wasn't great - but people at least recognized that.

Legendary Axe 1 & 2 as I understand have something to do with some mysterious licensing issues.

Devil's Crush is likely just them picking one game from a series like they did with Bonk (I don't consider Air Zonk a Bonk game).  It is arguable they did not pick the best one from either series, but the one they did pick in both is a solid choice.

#503 bradbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1104 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:31 AM

Keith courage was the title included with tg16 at launch. It should be there.

You just had to be there.

#504 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   202 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:43 AM

Keith Courage is a bad game, only reason to include it is nostalgia. That doesn't mean they don't have some other stinkers on there, but Keith Courage is crap. I still think part of the reason the TG16 didn't catch on is it did not have a solid, recognizable pack in game at a time when that was expected in the US. Altered Beast wasn't great - but people at least recognized that.

Legendary Axe 1 & 2 as I understand have something to do with some mysterious licensing issues.

Devil's Crush is likely just them picking one game from a series like they did with Bonk (I don't consider Air Zonk a Bonk game). It is arguable they did not pick the best one from either series, but the one they did pick in both is a solid choice.

I don't get why Keith Courage always gets a bad rap. I actually thought it was pretty good. The music was especially great.

Final Lap Twin also should have been on there instead of Moto Roader, but I guess they probably just needed another game to use the Turbotap with (as if there is any reason other than 5 player Bomberman).

#505 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7518 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

Keith courage was the title included with tg16 at launch. It should be there.

You just had to be there.

Yeah, I agree 110% on this, as not including this, would be like SEGA not including the first Sonic game in their mini. I also didn't think the game was that bad, as it fell in line with titles like Legendary Ax, great graphics, just average gameplay, but average is OK! These mini's are always gonna be a personal opinion on what's included, but some games aren't up for debate, and KC is one of those titles, PERIOD!

#506 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

Yeah but one simple hack at some point will at least fix that.

Agreed, but until there is a reliable hack using the built in interface I am stuck playing them elsewhere.

I guess I’m in the camp that would have preferred region prioritization for these minis if i had to choose. (read=there are pce games that i would have gladly swapped with my aforementioned omissions given the choice)

TLDR imo TG16 games should have been first and foremost (tg16 mini) with pce as bonus.

#507 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2075 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:23 AM

Yeah, I agree 110% on this, as not including this, would be like SEGA not including the first Sonic game in their mini. I also didn't think the game was that bad, as it fell in line with titles like Legendary Ax, great graphics, just average gameplay, but average is OK! These mini's are always gonna be a personal opinion on what's included, but some games aren't up for debate, and KC is one of those titles, PERIOD!

Not really, it's more like the Sega Geneis not being released with Altered Beast.  And I would have been completely on board for that.

#508 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7518 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Not really, it's more like the Sega Geneis not being released with Altered Beast.  And I would have been completely on board for that.

But the Genesis didn't sell it's big numbers under Altered Beast, but under Sonic, so if old school fans are interested in the mini, Sonic was the much better choice. As for the TG16, KC was the only game to really be attached to the system at any point, so love or hate, anyone who bought a TG16, had KC, and that wasn't the same case for the MD/Genesis Altered Beast argument.

I do personally think AB should have been included, but it wasn't missed by most, as it did suck, and between option A or B, B happened to win out, due to selling more systems than title A did. So in the end, the Genesis had more than one pack in over time, and they went with the one that would be missed most and probably sold the most systems while packed in.

#509 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   793 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:19 PM

But the Genesis didn't sell it's big numbers under Altered Beast, but under Sonic, so if old school fans are interested in the mini, Sonic was the much better choice. As for the TG16, KC was the only game to really be attached to the system at any point, so love or hate, anyone who bought a TG16, had KC, and that wasn't the same case for the MD/Genesis Altered Beast argument.

I do personally think AB should have been included, but it wasn't missed by most, as it did suck, and between option A or B, B happened to win out, due to selling more systems than title A did. So in the end, the Genesis had more than one pack in over time, and they went with the one that would be missed most and probably sold the most systems while packed in.

Fun factoid, for a short period of time, you also got a free copy of quackshot with the genesis (iirc)

I added this oversight to my sega mini :D

Also, I fail to see any justification for only including the japanese version of bonk’s adventure on the TG16 mini...a) tg16 is a us region console and b) for many people the first game that comes to mind when you mention tg16 is bonks adventure

#510 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7518 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:49 PM

Fun factoid, for a short period of time, you also got a free copy of quackshot with the genesis (iirc)

I added this oversight to my sega mini :D

Also, I fail to see any justification for only including the japanese version of bonk’s adventure on the TG16 mini...a) tg16 is a us region console and b) for many people the first game that comes to mind when you mention tg16 is bonks adventure

WOW, I didn't know the Bonk's was the Japanese version, as I would have mentioned that as the other game most associated with the TG16, but thought it was included, so I didn't(kind of is I suppose). Yeah, so that's another dropped ball as well, and I guess putting the Japanese Snatcher in could have freed up space for other titles, since it's CD based and most can't play it anyways. This is why I personally don't bother with these mini's, as it's just to much I need to change or add after the fact. Then I've really only bought a cheap plastic shell, with a cool UI, and not much else.