* * * * * 2 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#91 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2718 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:53 PM

Part of why this TG16 mini is desirable is also the much smaller interest in the TG16 in the retro console space. Legacy systems like the NES, SNES, and Genesis have recently gotten numerous retro re-imaginings. Analogue in particular has been bringing the heat with FPGA-powered repro systems. But we haven't seen the same attention for the TG16, and it's unlikely that we will. There isn't enough attention and not enough stock for legacy games in the second-hand market to warrant it.

The TG16 mini is a decent solution to this. Now if only Konami hires a capable team to handle the emulation, and gets a sizable roster for the game line-up. Most of these retro devices actually have a fairly substantial amount of built-in flash memory, so there should be plenty of room. And having CD-games in the roster from the word go is very encouraging.

#92 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:55 PM

I think the TG16, was similar to the PS Vita in its day. Not a lot of people had them but those who did were kind of all in on the system, buying imports and lots of games (high attachment rate). Lots of independent game shops carried converters for the hu cards so you could play PC Engine games on the TG16 and the CDs worked without a converter until they complicated things with Super CDs and then they still worked so long as you had the right card.
Maybe just a different experience, but I don't recall seeing PC Engine systems in the game shops around me but they certainly all sold the converter.

Eh, the import scene for TG16 wasn't as huge as you think.  Sure among hardcore gamers they did it alot, but I worked in an Electronics Boutique back in college when it was a current product and was surprised people that owned it did not know about that option to expand their libraries with great games.

So much wasted potential.  Done right it could have eaten the NES's lunch and had a good install base prior to the Genesis release.  But by the time it actually hit here it wasn't the most powerful and the library led most average gamers to go "huh?".  Then you had a poor pack in game with Keith Courage and they spent so much time trying to convince people China Warrior was good with those big huge characters.  TG16 had a crappy launch lineup with a couple gems and almost immediately you were told to get the full "experience" you needed to drop another $400 right after dropping $200 for the system, and another $50 or so for a tap and another controller.

#93 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   274 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:48 PM

Eh, the import scene for TG16 wasn't as huge as you think. Sure among hardcore gamers they did it alot, but I worked in an Electronics Boutique back in college when it was a current product and was surprised people that owned it did not know about that option to expand their libraries with great games.

So much wasted potential. Done right it could have eaten the NES's lunch and had a good install base prior to the Genesis release. But by the time it actually hit here it wasn't the most powerful and the library led most average gamers to go "huh?". Then you had a poor pack in game with Keith Courage and they spent so much time trying to convince people China Warrior was good with those big huge characters. TG16 had a crappy launch lineup with a couple gems and almost immediately you were told to get the full "experience" you needed to drop another $400 right after dropping $200 for the system, and another $50 or so for a tap and another controller.

Not trying to start an arguement, but I said the independent game shops carried imports and converters. EB was a large retailer with stores in most malls when TG16 came out (at least around here). NES hit the US in 1985 (83 in Japan), PC Engine was 87 in Japan and 89 in the US and I do agree if it had hit the market prior to the Genesis, we would be having a different conversation.
I remember the CD unit hitting stores after the main unit and I had the base for a year or so before getting the CD unit. I still have the boxes for both and wonder if I might still have the sales receipt in the box. It was a long time ago...

#94 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1876 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:01 AM

Not trying to start an arguement, but I said the independent game shops carried imports and converters. EB was a large retailer with stores in most malls when TG16 came out (at least around here). NES hit the US in 1985 (83 in Japan), PC Engine was 87 in Japan and 89 in the US and I do agree if it had hit the market prior to the Genesis, we would be having a different conversation.
I remember the CD unit hitting stores after the main unit and I had the base for a year or so before getting the CD unit. I still have the boxes for both and wonder if I might still have the sales receipt in the box. It was a long time ago...

No not at all, I got it.  I was just referring to the average customer in Electronics Boutique that showed interest in the TG16 that I talked to back then.  I was a bit of a pain in the ass for my manager, I liked to give people advice that wasn't the best saleswise for our store, and that included keying TG16 owners in on the fact that their library wasn't as limited as it appeared - I was just surprised I had to do that so often.

#95 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2487 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:52 AM

Quick reminder to post your most wanted games and suggestions in the comments section on Konami's officlal facebook page under the  TG-16 Mini Thread.  They are using social media to fuel which follow-up titles to release and any other interests or concerns that consumers might have for the micro console.  

#96 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5011 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:25 AM

I'll post there in a bit

I'd probably suggest:

Rondo of blood

gate of thunder/lords of thunder

Beyond Shadowgate

legendary axe 1 and 2

bonk/zonk entire series

neutopia 1 and 2

splatterhouse

exile and exile 2

parasol stars

cadash

as many shooters as possible

r type

cotton

the darius games

blazing lazers

raiden

salamander

shockman

vasteel 1 and 2

This is a pretty solid list if we get half of these.

I am probably forgetting a few.  I am guessing we get none of these and instead get keith courage and some other trash.  

#97 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2487 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

Konami JP provided a top-20 list of the most requested titles for the PC Engine/TG-16 Mini from fans on their social media feeds :

1. Snatcher  (cyberpunk graphic adventure from Hideo Kojima)
  2. Magical Chase  (side-scrolling shooter)
  3. Emerald Dragon  (RPG)
  4. Linda Cube  (psycho thriller and hunting RPG ; 18+ rating for violent scenes)
  5. J.J. & Jeff  (side scrolling platform game)
  6. Tokimeki Memorial  (Life sim / dating game)
  7. Spriggan mark 2 : Re-Terraform Project  (side-scrolling shooter) 
  8. Valkyrie no Densetsu  (The Legend of Valkyrie ; action role-playing arcade game)
  9. Tengai Makyou: Ziria  (Ziria: Far East of Eden ; turn-based RPG)
  10. Ys IV : Dawn of Ys  (action RPG)
  11. Cho Aniki  (somewhat homoerotic side-scrolling shooter)
  12. Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru (Ziria: Far East of Eden 2 ; turn-based RPG) 
  13. Bikkuriman World  (port of Wonder Boy in Monster Land ; arcade platform)
  14. Momotaro Densetsu II  (Peach Boy Legend II ; rpg)
  15. Momotaro Katsugeki  (platform game starring Peach Boy)
  16. Star Parodier  (parody of Super Star Soldier ; side-scrolling shooter)
  17. Image Fight II  (vertical shooter)
  18. Coryoon : Child of Dragon  (spritual successor of Air Zonk for PC Engine)
  19. Lords of Thunder  (side-scrolling shooter)
  20. Soldier Blade  (vertical shooter)

Pretty solid list, but hopefully this will not mean Konami intends to limit the game library to less than 30 titles.   

#98 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2682 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

What I'd care to play the most would be Bonk 1, 2, & 3, Air Zonk, Super Air Zonk, Soldier Blade, & maybe JJ&Jeff (just for nostalgia).

#99 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

I'd like to get Gomola Speed. But I might as well be asking for a unicorn.

#100 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4151 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Part of why this TG16 mini is desirable is also the much smaller interest in the TG16 in the retro console space. Legacy systems like the NES, SNES, and Genesis have recently gotten numerous retro re-imaginings. Analogue in particular has been bringing the heat with FPGA-powered repro systems. But we haven't seen the same attention for the TG16, and it's unlikely that we will. There isn't enough attention and not enough stock for legacy games in the second-hand market to warrant it.

The TG16 mini is a decent solution to this. Now if only Konami hires a capable team to handle the emulation, and gets a sizable roster for the game line-up. Most of these retro devices actually have a fairly substantial amount of built-in flash memory, so there should be plenty of room. And having CD-games in the roster from the word go is very encouraging.

For me the TG16 mini is incredibly desirable as I have always wanted a TG16 but never had one as a kid and the few times I've played the actual hardware I really enjoyed it. I've been trying to come across a decent deal on the console for years, but they just don't pop up around me very often and when they do they are usually priced very high. Then there are the games which can get insanely expensive due to exactly what you mentioned with the system just not being that popular and the number of games out in the wild being a fraction of what is out with the Nintendo and Sega consoles for the most part. 

I am already sold on this and am just waiting for the chance to pre-order one at this point. 

#101 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5011 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

Sheesh if this is done well, and they choose good games, I’d be a happy man just playing classic consoles like tg classic and snes classic instead of modern day games

#102 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2682 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

Sheesh if this is done well, and they choose good games, I’d be a happy man just playing classic consoles like tg classic and snes classic instead of modern day games

I've thought before that just a hacked SNES classic would be enough...or a retropi... but then stuff like Zelda BotW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, DQ XI-S, Shenmue 3, Skyrim, or something else comes along and reminds me that I still love modern gaming and it's not time to retire to just retro games.  Granted I'm buying fewer games each year... but still having some of the best times gaming as ever in my life.

#103 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

Lol what a stupid company. Chasing dead trends and MGS pachinko machines is all they have left.

#104 The_Central_Scrutinizer  

The_Central_Scrutinizer

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:27 PM

Lmao @ JJ and Jeff being in that poll's top five. Awesome.

I own a TG-16 and about 15-20 games. I treasure the set, and it's one of a select few parts of my collection that I plan to keep indefinitely. However, I may still buy the TG-16 Mini if they throw in some titles that just aren't feasible to buy the OG copies of.

"Magical Chase" and "Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise" in particular would sell me on the system very quickly.

#105 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5011 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Lmao @ JJ and Jeff being in that poll's top five. Awesome.

I own a TG-16 and about 15-20 games. I treasure the set, and it's one of a select few parts of my collection that I plan to keep indefinitely. However, I may still buy the TG-16 Mini if they throw in some titles that just aren't feasible to buy the OG copies of.

"Magical Chase" and "Super Air Zonk: Rockabilly-Paradise" in particular would sell me on the system very quickly.

Well, let's wait for it to come out, if it is super easy to add games, the way it was the snes classic, then that will be a good selling point

#106 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

We have a list of games! Thanks to Kishi from the Talking Time forum for finding this.

https://www.amazon.c...node=6974564051

#107 Madzane  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

Interesting, the PC Engine version even got a few Supergrafx titles. Really bummed the US version drops so many CD games, I would’ve expected at least some of these to make the cut:

Gates of Thunder
Dungeon Explorer 2
Super Air Zonk (1st one is still best)
Dynastic Hero
Cotton
Beyond Shadowgate
Loom
Working designs catalog

Granted copyrights or straight up lack of exposure for US Turbo CD games could be the main problem.

#108 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1734 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

My understanding is that every territory is getting all the games on that list, minus Tokimeki Memorial which will only be available in Japan.

#109 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1453 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:50 AM

I hope you are right about all the titles being available on all regions. If not kind of meh collection.

#110 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   722 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

My understanding is that every territory is getting all the games on that list, minus Tokimeki Memorial which will only be available in Japan.

The list looks pretty official. Why would they put all the games on two separate lists onto the U.S. version? I'd like that to be the case but it doesn't add up?

#111 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4151 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

From what I understand it's 50 games total so all regions will get all of these titles. Pretty awesome list of games despite some glaring omissions. I am definitely picking one up without question though.

#112 Madzane  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

That’s a lot of Japanese heavy dialogue titles to bring west if true.

#113 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1453 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Most of the Japanese games have translated versions or need little translations

Ninja Gaiden
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Snatcher
China Warrior
Bonk's Adventure
Super Darius
Super Star Soilder
Ghosts N Goblins
Paradious
Gradius
Gradius II
Fantasy Zone
Bomberman 94
Aldines

TokiMeki Memorial And Galaxy Frauline Yuna I'm sure are tied to anime licenses and are not coming here ever. Necromancer is text heavy. Gateball nah. Super Mono Tarou Denetsu II highly unlikely. Cho Aniki who the hell knows ???

#114 dorikyasu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   148 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

dorikyasu

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

ArugulaZ might be right as Konami's official YouTube video indicates 50 titles total (24 TG-16 + 26 PCE games).

https://www.youtube....h?v=nWbNzvb_mv8

#115 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

From what I understand it's 50 games total so all regions will get all of these titles. Pretty awesome list of games despite some glaring omissions. I am definitely picking one up without question though.

I understood it as there will be 3 versions in 3 regions and if konami saw enough interest they would consider releasing the other 2 regions in America as limited editions. Of course I could be completely wrong and whatever site I saw that on was talking out of their ass. I cant find where I saw that.

In any case I am just really excited to see this at all. Just really hoping they put some effort into the quality. If they do and it sells well we could see other obscure systems get released. Just hope the genesis mini and this come out built well, good selection of games, and good emulation to follow the nes and SNES to set the bar for others.

#116 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2487 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

Konami will sell the TG-16 Mini exclusively thru Amazon and will release on March 19, 2020.  Pre-orders will open up beginning on PRIME DAY (Monday, July 15).  More details to be added to OP.   In summary, there will be around 50 games total (24 American versions, 26 Japanese PC Engine versions) and cost approx. $100 based on conversion from the Japanese pricing.

#117 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4151 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:39 PM

Konami will sell the TG-16 Mini exclusively thru Amazon and will release on March 19, 2020.  Pre-orders will open up beginning on PRIME DAY (Monday, July 15).  More details to be added to OP.   In summary, there will be around 50 games total (24 American versions, 26 Japanese PC Engine versions) and cost approx. $100 based on conversion from the Japanese pricing.

Ready to pre-order one first thing Monday. 

#118 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2718 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:52 PM

Yep, it sounds like there will be three different physical versions, but only one version of the software. This seems likely. International releases like this often benefit from having a single software version, with the option of switching the menu languages.

The upside is that there is finally going to be a commercial release of Snatcher that is affordable. The downside is that it will be in Japanese, so brush up on your Kanji.

#119 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12445 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

Uggh, only through Amazon?  Hopefully this thing is big enough where they don't stuff them in large bubble mailers.

#120 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3559 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

I'd buy it in a second for a translated snatcher. That said I still haven't play Star Fox 2.