* * * * * 3 votes

TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

#241 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

That's the info I've heard so far, but Konami is bringing their "A" game to this situation, so who knows what else they may pull out of the bag of tricks? Only time will tell, but as of now, it's supposed to be the Japanese version, which never got an English translation. Technically the game is pretty much the same as the Sega CD with a few tweaks and changes here and there, so they could use the script from that game, and be way ahead of things in regards to a translation. 

I don't put much hope in that happening, but I wouldn't have put much hope in regards to Konami doing something like this in the first place. Let alone how well they seem to be doing, so if this new Konami is still looking to impress, an English translation would be the cherry on top! LOL

Well I'll hope for the best but expect to be disappointed then I suppose. I was under the impression it would no way be in english but some hope is better than none. I'm really hoping it will be as I want to play this again very badly. I got it when it first came out on Sega CD but that was so long ago and I didn't really appreciate games much then so it would be like playing it for the first time.

Now if they would just let us play policenauts then I'd be happy, i was always interested in that game.

Thanks.

#242 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4335 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Well I'll hope for the best but expect to be disappointed then I suppose. I was under the impression it would no way be in english but some hope is better than none. I'm really hoping it will be as I want to play this again very badly. I got it when it first came out on Sega CD but that was so long ago and I didn't really appreciate games much then so it would be like playing it for the first time.

Now if they would just let us play policenauts then I'd be happy, i was always interested in that game.

Thanks.

I honestly could see Konami doing an HD release of Snatcher and Policenauts as part of a collection for current gen consoles. They'd easily be able to sell them together separately or in a collection. I'd be shocked if they translate Snatcher on the TG16 mini though.

#243 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2775 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I'd be shocked if they translate Snatcher on the TG16 mini though.

The issue is that the technical and manpower hurdles for such an inclusion are substantial. The game has been translated on other platforms, but there is no official translated version for the TG16. (or PC-Engine) So content that could be used as a source exists. But localization is more than just having the content. There are very real technical hurdles in squeezing that kind of content into the original data format of the game. This is where the differences in displaying Japanese and English text on legacy systems come into play. And all of this is just assuming a focus on translating the text. Let's not forget that this was a CD game, and has a fully voiced cast of characters. A proper localization would also include English dubbing, which is a whole other can of worms.

If M2 were to include English text, that alone would be a huge addition. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for translated audio, though. Only time will tell. M2 is already going to have a huge workload just with the base-level emulation of this many titles. It seems like a stretch to think that they would also have the time to add a localization for a previously Japan-only adventure game. But hey, it's not impossible.

#244 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4335 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

The issue is that the technical and manpower hurdles for such an inclusion are substantial. The game has been translated on other platforms, but there is no official translated version for the TG16. (or PC-Engine) So content that could be used as a source exists. But localization is more than just having the content. There are very real technical hurdles in squeezing that kind of content into the original data format of the game. This is where the differences in displaying Japanese and English text on legacy systems come into play. And all of this is just assuming a focus on translating the text. Let's not forget that this was a CD game, and has a fully voiced cast of characters. A proper localization would also include English dubbing, which is a whole other can of worms.

If M2 were to include English text, that alone would be a huge addition. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for translated audio, though. Only time will tell. M2 is already going to have a huge workload just with the base-level emulation of this many titles. It seems like a stretch to think that they would also have the time to add a localization for a previously Japan-only adventure game. But hey, it's not impossible.

I agree with that. We also have no idea how long they have been working on this thing either. You'd think they'd have already thought about translation and like you said it's a lot more work than simply updating the text in the code. I would be very happy if they managed to get English text in though, but honestly wouldn't care much if the audio was translated or not, I'd rather have the Japanese audio track anyway. Just be nice to be able to read what is being said.

#245 VoltaicOwl  

VoltaicOwl

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

I was more than willing to write this off like I do most of these mini-consoles, but dammit if this hasn't gotten more tempting all of a sudden.  I haven't played ANY of these games except a couple of the super-popular titles like R-Type.

I missed the boat on the TG-16, and I didn't even know it was a thing until probably the mid-2000s.  As I've seen someone else put it, it would be like "a wave of nostalgia from an alternate timeline".

#246 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   730 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:27 AM

I finally got to preorder. I am so excited for this mini. One of my favorite games of all time (probably in my top 50) is Military Madness. This game requires a good amount of strategy but is also not super complex. I love how it feels like all hope is lost and then things turn around. I also appreciate that the results of a single battle between two troops is never set in stone. That slight bit of good or bad luck really means a lot. The music, the graphics, the gameplay. I can't wait!

#247 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1466 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:11 PM

https://thehardtimes...-for-paramount/ Wut ???

#248 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2487 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:17 PM

I'm trusting you realize the site is satire, but I am fully on board for this 'Li has gone on the record that he wants a “massive body count” for Bonk '.

#249 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1466 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:23 PM

I am. It made me chuckle. Can you imagine though?

#250 doctorwolf   CAG Newbie CAG in Training   49 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

doctorwolf

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

I am. It made me chuckle. Can you imagine though?

Aka, completely unaware this was fake.

#251 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1466 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Time to petition the studio ? Let's make this happen people! :)

#252 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14570 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

If anyone getting this needs a cheap power brick, the bricks that came out with the PS Classic are on clearance at GS for $3.97.

#253 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2492 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

It's messed up how systems are sold with power supplies sold separately. Horsehsit. 

#254 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

Time to petition the studio ? Let's make this happen people! :)

Sounds like you mean "time for other people create a petition, advertise it, and do all the work because I want the results but I am unwilling to do anything myself!"

#255 Loose Rattled Gamer  

Loose Rattled Gamer

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:40 PM

It's messed up how systems are sold with power supplies sold separately. Horsehsit. 

U mad?

#256 needler420   car title is lost CAGiversary!   2492 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:04 PM

U mad?

:bomb:

#257 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5029 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:41 AM

If it's relatively easy to add games, I'll go ahead and add dungeon explorer 2, kaze kiri ninja and a few others.  (legendary axe one and 2)

#258 dracula   i'll buy that for a dolla CAGiversary!   5029 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:47 AM

If anyone getting this needs a cheap power brick, the bricks that came out with the PS Classic are on clearance at GS for $3.97.

What, we have to buy the power brick separate?  WTF

https://www.gamestop...ion/accessories

I have one of these for my phone, and a second one that came with the snes mini.  IIRC the PAL snes mini did not include a plug for the wall, but the USA version did.

#259 n64ra   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2487 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:00 AM

Yea, luckily my new surge protector has USB ports.

#260 pjay   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

At this point I'm just thankful they remember Bonk.

I'm trusting you realize the site is satire, but I am fully on board for this 'Li has gone on the record that he wants a “massive body count” for Bonk '.