* * * * * 2 votes

Nintendo PSA - FREE nintendo replacement OEM JOYCONS if you DRIFT

#31 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1243 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:34 PM

Edit: I'm wondering if I should turn in my joycon now or just trade in the console...I don't want my joycon to be stuck at Nintendo if a good console trade in deal towards the new version comes up.

#32 7String   Adam Howard CAGiversary!   405 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:29 PM

Ok... ill repeat this one more time:
I started my ticket LAST YEAR....they sent me another joy con....drifted....sent back.....another came....now the other side drifted.....sent that back....finally i sent in the console because after two replacements it was still drifting.....they sent me the NEW CONSOLE with NEW JOY CONS, in separate packages, but nonetheless, all NEW items.....

That is why I said:
1)I know this thing is real
2) MY specific case will not be like anyone else’s because of my console had something wrong with it.....BUT you can still get FREE joycons IF they really do drift or are inaccurate

They are going to ask you to do trouble shoot
If you go to “calibrate” and the motion control keeps running around, they’ll make a ticket and UPS label and send it to your email

ITS EASY, if you have a screwed up joycon, and its legit, make a ticket....go to controller problem>drift>etc...

#33 doodofdoods   Prinny Powered CAGiversary!   3238 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

doodofdoods

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Just sent my yellow joy cons in today. Hoping they just give me new ones. Mine were super jacked up. Drifting on both and the right one kept triggering the home screen button.

#34 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

Well my issue was so bad that I had to call almost a year ago. Because they sent me joycons TWICE that drifted again, they sent me the NEW console and the new joy cons. So i have an exception, i think they said something was wrong with the top right corner of my unit.
Now, I am fortunate that I got the new console with the improved kickstand, at the same time, it was SHEER AGONY because I didnt have anything to play for a total of about two months, and they wouldn’t reimburse my lost Nintendo subscription time either, which I can understand cuz i got a new console, but still, dont penalize me for having so many defective issues, you know? Am i wrong on that?

Are you saying you think you have the revision with better battery life and it also includes improved Joycons and improved kickstand? Does the serial number start with "XAW" or "XKW"?

#35 7String   Adam Howard CAGiversary!   405 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:29 PM

Yes, i got the improved kickstand, battery all that shit....i just got the console about two weeks ago, if that

Please man, just ASK CAMPERINABUSH, i showed him everything, he saw it, and i am tired of posting about it because I posted here about four times and in the nintendo thread, so i hope it was of help to you all

GOOD DAY SIR lol

#36 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7175 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

GOOD DAY SIR lol

LOL, good one.

#37 e3man01   Cheap Assin' before most of you even picked up a controller CAGiversary!   362 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:00 AM

Anyone know how long the Big N is gonna honor this?

This IS Nintendo's Red Ring. It's funny I've called them the "gold standard" for hardware. This ain't it chief.

#38 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

Anyone know how long the Big N is gonna honor this?

This IS Nintendo's Red Ring. It's funny I've called them the "gold standard" for hardware. This ain't it chief.

The failure of a joystick on a $40 accessory is nowhere near the level of total system failure for like 50+% of the $300-$400 systems at the time.  That doesn't even include the 360's other technical failures like disc scratching

#39 RagManX   Complete Doofus CAGiversary!   189 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:13 PM

Unfortunately for me, the joycon I have that drift are the pair I transplanted into clear joycon shells. Started drifting about 8 months after I did the surgery, but I'm guessing they won't be covered. Still, may move them back to the original shells and submit them for repair. Maybe.

#40 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14503 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:01 PM

Unfortunately for me, the joycon I have that drift are the pair I transplanted into clear joycon shells. Started drifting about 8 months after I did the surgery, but I'm guessing they won't be covered. Still, may move them back to the original shells and submit them for repair. Maybe.

Drifting? Shells?

luigi.JPG

#41 gnugget5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

gnugget5

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and submitted two pairs of joycons to Nintendo today.  All four of the analog sticks had varying degrees of drift that developed after 8-10 months of dedicated use (> 90% of my Switch playtime is in handheld mode).  Estimates indicate that I should have the controllers back within 1.5-2 weeks, so we'll see how that pans out. 

#42 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14101 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

I assume LE controllers (Smash) would get the same sent back if I sent those in?  I'd think they'd almost have to, but, I may just ask or mention it in a ticket.

I dunno if I've noticed it a lot on my Joy-Cons, but, they definitely have issues.

I actually had drift on my Pro Controller that they repaired (for free/under warranty) months ago.  

#43 kaydigi   BK All Day CAGiversary!   1357 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Did anyone get a refund from a previous repair?

#44 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:15 PM

Is it like obvious? Cause if it is I haven't had it. Also, is it from the get-go or does it develop over time?

#45 Silver Phoenix   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   130 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Silver Phoenix

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I assume LE controllers (Smash) would get the same sent back if I sent those in?  I'd think they'd almost have to, but, I may just ask or mention it in a ticket.

I dunno if I've noticed it a lot on my Joy-Cons, but, they definitely have issues.

I actually had drift on my Pro Controller that they repaired (for free/under warranty) months ago.  

This I'd be wary of as people have sent in LE systems and controllers and did not get them sent back in return. If you send in LE joycons I would be adamant that you ask that they return your original controllers and not replace them with anything else. Generally they're just supposed to fix the analog sticks but these people give zero fucks about your property.

#46 gnugget5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

gnugget5

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Yesterday, I had an interesting development with my joycon repair situation. 

Within 5 minutes, I received two emails from Nintendo: (1) confirmation that they received my joycon shipment for repairs and (2) a request to provide a funding source to pay for the repairs.  Following through the links on the 2nd email, it claimed that a payment of $30.00 would be needed within 1 week; otherwise, the items would be shipped back to me, unrepaired. 

Since I was of the belief that they were repairing the joycons free of charge, I called Nintendo Customer Service and, after a ~7 minute wait, talked with an agent.  After explaining the situation, the agent reassurred me that there was a glitch in the system and that the joycons would be repaired, free of charge. 

Rather than treat this as CABlogger, I figured this might be useful information to document for anyone else dealing with a similar situation (I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to take advantage of getting their controllers repaired for free).  

TL;DR - Even if you get a payment request email, calling Customer Service should rectify the problem and confirm that drift-associated joycon repairs are free of charge.

#47 sbaker44  

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

Mine was received on Wednesday. I got another email today that said it's shipped back. Is there any way to tell if they actually did anything to it? The email just said the components are being shipped back to me with no mention of work being done.

#48 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:44 PM

Does this only effect like earlier switch models or is it all of them?

I got my switch like 3 months ago I'd say. I hadn't had a problem yet but was just curious.

#49 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1890 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 05 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Mine was received on Wednesday. I got another email today that said it's shipped back. Is there any way to tell if they actually did anything to it? The email just said the components are being shipped back to me with no mention of work being done.

You should know when it gets back.  Last time I had something fixed, it had a checklist included in the package on what they did.  It doesn't take them long to fix things, for the most part they just verify then replace stuff, and I would imagine that depending on the color they just send you a new one and keep the old one for parts.

#50 Naruto Uzumaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   419 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Naruto Uzumaki

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:10 AM

Sent my pair in (7/28) just to be on the safe side. Got new replacements back today

#51 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 10 August 2019 - 01:56 AM

Sent my pair in (7/28) just to be on the safe side. Got new replacements back today

Are they brand new or refurbed?

#52 Naruto Uzumaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   419 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Naruto Uzumaki

Posted 10 August 2019 - 03:41 AM

Dunno, they aren't the ones I sent in though and they came in plastic sleeves like when you buy the console new, the difference is the plastic had this sticker with some numbers on it. I also had to sync them to the console, the ones I sent in were already synced

#53 gnugget5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

gnugget5

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

Mine arrived yesterday and all four contained my original joycon shells that were shipped to Nintendo.  My service writeup also noted that faulty parts were replaced (without further detail). 

I did a side-by-side comparison of the replaced joycon analog sticks to a barely-used (< 2 h total, since purchase) pair that weren't sent in for repairs.  The repaired joycon analogs definitely had a firmer feel to the movement, with an easier (faster) return to center.  I tested this comparison with the others in my household (n = 5).  Although none of the others were aware of which joycons I had sent in and which had been held back, all indicated that the repaired joycons seemed firmer. 

As many others have said, time will tell how these repairs address the problem.  However, for now, I remain hopeful and encouraged by the initial impressions following repair.

#54 Dr_dreadful  

Dr_dreadful

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

Mine arrived yesterday and all four contained my original joycon shells that were shipped to Nintendo.  My service writeup also noted that faulty parts were replaced (without further detail). 

I did a side-by-side comparison of the replaced joycon analog sticks to a barely-used (< 2 h total, since purchase) pair that weren't sent in for repairs.  The repaired joycon analogs definitely had a firmer feel to the movement, with an easier (faster) return to center.  I tested this comparison with the others in my household (n = 5).  Although none of the others were aware of which joycons I had sent in and which had been held back, all indicated that the repaired joycons seemed firmer. 

As many others have said, time will tell how these repairs address the problem.  However, for now, I remain hopeful and encouraged by the initial impressions following repair.

I hadn't noticed a problem with mine yet but I might send them in incase they are actually replacing something or whatnot. I don't want to have problems later on. On the back I'm going to put a tiny mark and see if it comes back with it.

Thanks.

#55 7String   Adam Howard CAGiversary!   405 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

Guys, if you call support now, they have an option 1 just for the joy con drift
So if that makes it easier for you guys, just call instead of making an email ticket

I havent had problems myself anymore, but i also have another console, so it could’ve Been all 3 were defective

#56 MaximusDM   What is a man!? CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

How do I test if mine drifts? Its pretty much a model bought a few months after launch. I did already get a nintendo repair for it disconnecting randomly.

#57 SunbirdTurbo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   55 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

SunbirdTurbo

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

So I bought a used Switch and the left joycon has this problem. How do I get it repaired free?

#58 ChiefBrody1027   40th Anniversary CAG CAGiversary!   1255 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

ChiefBrody1027

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

If you send one in for drift that also has the issue where the little plastic piece that keeps the joycon locked in place fails,do they fix both? Wondering if anyone else in this situation? Thanks

#59 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14101 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

So I bought a used Switch and the left joycon has this problem. How do I get it repaired free?

https://en-americas-...3/cp/677/mq/740

#60 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1718 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

I put it in and we sent a fix order for only the left one. But I feel like when separate it’s also the right one. Am I crazy?