* * * - - 5 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: Resident Evil, Monster Hunter World, Jedi: Fallen Order, more | Square Enix, Robots | GwG: Shantae: HGH, Batman: TEW; Sonic Gen

#1921 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   765 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:18 AM

Anyone know if there is a way to gift movie purchases on Xbox?

#1922 idogames  

idogames

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:13 AM

I read "spit out achievements" and went for it, got through world 1 and was super annoyed, the camera is bad, the music and sounds are super annoying and overall is just bad. Took a chance on world 2, even worse, got to the boss at the end of that level and wanted to throw shit at my monitor because of how annoying it was, got 2 achievements and uninstalled.

I played through to World 6 or 7 so far. And that damn boss on world 2 was the most troublesome thing for me.

Aside from my hatred for the camera (and inability to control it), I thought it was pretty fun.

#1923 entexman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   318 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

entexman

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

You're right.  I tried it this morning before I left for work, and that first world is hard as hell.  Or my reflexes suck in my old age.  I'm 40.

I hear ya. I struggled through world 1 and 2 yesterday.  You are a youngster compared to me. I am 53.

I read "spit out achievements" and went for it, got through world 1 and was super annoyed, the camera is bad, the music and sounds are super annoying and overall is just bad. Took a chance on world 2, even worse, got to the boss at the end of that level and wanted to throw shit at my monitor because of how annoying it was, got 2 achievements and uninstalled.

Agreed. That 2nd world boss was the most frustrating boss fight ever. That's as far as I am playing this game. 

I played through to World 6 or 7 so far. And that damn boss on world 2 was the most troublesome thing for me.

Aside from my hatred for the camera (and inability to control it), I thought it was pretty fun.

You are a trooper to play that long. I will say I used to love the monkey ball games back in the gamecube days. I think I preferred the party games over the single player though. I have not tried that feature in this new game.  I don't play party games much anymore. 

#1924 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

I hear ya. I struggled through world 1 and 2 yesterday.  You are a youngster compared to me. I am 53.

Agreed. That 2nd world boss was the most frustrating boss fight ever. That's as far as I am playing this game. 

You are a trooper to play that long. I will say I used to love the monkey ball games back in the gamecube days. I think I preferred the party games over the single player though. I have not tried that feature in this new game.  I don't play party games much anymore. 

The games were always challenging, but I think that the addition of a jump feature in this installment is what has made it more troublesome than the others.  And my favorite party game on the GameCube was Monkey Target followed by Monkey Bowling and Monkey Race.

I'm playing the Decathlon mode now with all the party games.  It appears that they didn't play test these games to make sure that they were fun.  I think that developers assume that players just want games to be more difficult and that they don't care about making them fun.  And this free play weekend is probably going to backfire on Sega if they expected that it would make people want to buy the game.

Edit: I just cleared the Decathlon mode which is apparently a rare achievement (4% of players).  And I didn't toss my controller before finishing it.

#1925 Zantra  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:13 PM

In a strange turn of events, some of the Microsoft gift card dollar amounts have been removed from Bing Rewards. You can still redeem a $1.50 card, or a $3 card, but then it jumps up to $25 and $50. No more $5 or $10 cards.

#1926 .Beowulf  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

In a strange turn of events, some of the Microsoft gift card dollar amounts have been removed from Bing Rewards. You can still redeem a $1.50 card, or a $3 card, but then it jumps up to $25 and $50. No more $5 or $10 cards.

probably will come back

we've seen a handful of options disappear over the months/years just to pop back up in a few days/weeks

happens to live and gamepass etc too

#1927 braiiins   Braiiins CAGiversary!   1138 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:16 PM

Played the gamepass game Tracks - The Train Set Game. It was an okay little game but unless you have kids it probably isn't much more than a gamerscore boosting game. It was nostalgic for a bit but once I got all the achievements I was done. 

I also played Transference. Not usually a horror fan but I enjoyed the puzzles. I had an achievement and ubisoft club tasks glitch on me. Luckily the game isn't very long, beat it without a guide for the puzzles (used one for collectibles) and it didn't take more than 90 minutes. The last time I had an achievement that should have unlocked not unlock was during shadow of mordor within the first few months of release. That was a story based achievement like 2/3 through the game so haven't gone back to get it yet. 

#1928 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Played the gamepass game Tracks - The Train Set Game. It was an okay little game but unless you have kids it probably isn't much more than a gamerscore boosting game. It was nostalgic for a bit but once I got all the achievements I was done.

I played that for some achievements back around Christmas and thought it was okay. It was somewhat fun but nothing I’d actually buy.

#1929 camperinabush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1128 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

camperinabush

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

Forgot how great the base game of Division 2 is. I’ve been playing it for a few days now and it’s an insane deal at $3, even with it coming to GP.

#1930 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:42 PM

Forgot how great the base game of Division 2 is. I’ve been playing it for a few days now and it’s an insane deal at $3, even with it coming to GP.

If you're OK with a preowned disc copy, I just bought one as part of the buy 4 used games for $10 sale at GameStop this morning.  Also, installing a disc copy saves my bandwidth use for the month.

#1931 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3292 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

If you're OK with a preowned disc copy, I just bought one as part of the buy 4 used games for $10 sale at GameStop this morning.  Also, installing a disc copy saves my bandwidth use for the month.

They have it digitally, why would they want a physical copy?

#1932 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:50 PM

They have it digitally, why would they want a physical copy?

Again, installing a disc saves on downloading gigabytes from the internet if you have a monthly data cap on your home internet plan.

Why do people on this thread feel the need to argue with every post that I make?  :roll:

#1933 chrisbravo   CAG Supreme (w/Cheese) CAGiversary!   413 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

Again, installing a disc saves on downloading gigbytes from the internet if you have a monthly data cap on your home internet plan.

Why do people on this thread feel the need to argue with every post that I make?  :roll:

I dont feel the need to argue with every post that you make.  [-(

LOL j/k

#1934 entexman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   318 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

entexman

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

Again, installing a disc saves on downloading gigbytes from the internet if you have a monthly data cap on your home internet plan.

No good dead goes unpunished. 

Even though I commented about the Monkey Ball game achievements, if it were not for you I would not have even given the game a try.  

Thanks!

#1935 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:26 PM

No good dead goes unpunished. 

Even though I commented about the Monkey Ball game achievements, if it were not for you I would not have even given the game a try.  

Thanks!

Yeah, in regard to Super Monkey Ball, I'm glad there was a free weekend so I that didn't spend my own money on it.  I'm also looking forward to playing Sonic Mania.  

#1936 kcobra22  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

I'm also looking forward to playing Sonic Mania.  

Don't worry, Sonic Mania is only 300MB so you don't need a back up disc copy.

But seriously, discs are just becoming less useful. Games get so many updates now that you usually have to download the entire game anyways, or even more than that, because of how many things have been changed since the launch disc copies.

#1937 Gideon68   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2583 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:09 PM

To continue Valentine's, Forza Motorsport 7 - gifted 2 cars

The first I don't know, I thought I was clicking on the weekly rewards but it turned out to be a free car. The second is a '57 Vette covered with hearts. No option to sell the cars if you were thinking that.

#1938 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

But seriously, discs are just becoming less useful. Games get so many updates now that you usually have to download the entire game anyways, or even more than that, because of how many things have been changed since the launch disc copies.

The only thing the disc gives you is a license to play it.  But I will play digital copies or disc copies...typically whichever is cheaper.

#1939 MsMaroon  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

To continue Valentine's, Forza Motorsport 7 - gifted 2 cars

The first I don't know, I thought I was clicking on the weekly rewards but it turned out to be a free car. The second is a '57 Vette covered with hearts. No option to sell the cars if you were thinking that.

The other is a Valentine's day skinned BAC Mono.

#1940 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2976 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:40 PM

Except when I beat the game.... I can sell the disc. (And get the digital later for a few $ if I really want it again)
Got anthem for cheap, sold disc for a loss of $1.3x or so, got game for $5 later. Kept the steelbook.

#1941 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   873 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

get any other good xbox games at gamestop while u were there?

#1942 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7533 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:39 PM

get any other good xbox games at gamestop while u were there?

The buy 4 used games for $20 is also still going through the end of business today even though the buy 2, get 1 free sale for President's Day has already started.  You can choose which promo to apply to get the best deal.

In the past few weeks, I bought the following Xbox One games with that sale.

Dead Rising 4 (was $9.99 used)

Indivisible (was $9.99 used)

Industry Giant 2 (was $7.99 used)

Mutant League Football (was $9.99 used)

Sparklite (was $8.99 used)

Trine 4 (was $4.99 used)

Warhammer: Chaosbane (was $9.99 used)

Indivisible, Mutant League, Sparklite, Trine, and Warhammer were all converted from "new" to used.

#1943 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9697 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

Trine 4 is already $4.99? Hmm.. might have to grab that.

Of course, just so the rest of you can get it on GamePass.

#1944 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4358 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 15 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

Generally I think it can still help if you're counting every gigabyte month to month. Like the DOA6 I just bought still installed 25 gigs off the disc alongside a similar sized download. I know some discs basically act as unlock keys, like Overwatch prompts a full game download since they did a compression pass a while ago to shrink the games total file size. I still like having a disc as backup in case of delisting.

For some games it serves as a way to play the original unpatched game that you digital copies can't provide. Things like Shadow of the Tomb Raider's original ending or Bloodstained's original game balance and exploits come to mind.

Overall I still feel like discs can generally be acquired cheaper on average than a digital copy, at least until it's been out long enough to get a steep discount or crazy promotion like Division 2 currently has. You've obviously got the used market as a factor, but then you can factor retailer style sales that don't really happen on the digital store fronts, the seemingly permanent cheaper launch copies of games that Wal-Mart has had for like a year, or stuff like clearances on games to try and clear some shelf space, like the $10 prices at Gamestop for the recent Indivisible.

#1945 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1963 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Late to the conversation but I think consoles will go the way of smartphones and I wouldn’t be surprised to see on at $699. The new razr just came out beating the iPhone, iPhone 12 will surely be around $1500. I think a $700 console is very likely. Especially with all the backwards compat coming in it doesn’t just have to play new games.

#1946 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3989 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:37 PM

Late to the conversation but I think consoles will go the way of smartphones and I wouldn’t be surprised to see on at $699. The new razr just came out beating the iPhone, iPhone 12 will surely be around $1500. I think a $700 console is very likely. Especially with all the backwards compat coming in it doesn’t just have to play new games.

After the PlayStation 3 and Xbox One launches, I highly doubt either one will be at $700. That seems like console suicide.

#1947 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2534 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

People buy phones in installment plans though, which is something MS is dabbling in. Right now Sony and MS are going to play a game of chicken and that's going to benefit us on the actual price of the console. It seems the general consensus is now that it's going to cost Sony $450 a unit to manufacture the PS5. I don't know if they have a corporate edict like Nintendo where they would never sell hardware at a loss, but I do know that 2 of the 3 generations that Sony totally dominated and probably killed in software sales were the PS1 and PS4, where they came in $100 less than the Saturn and $100 less than the Xbox One. It's easy to look back at both now and say well they had the better library of games but that was still an unknown at launch, third parties support both systems. PS2 being it's own thing as an affordable DVD player when the format first started. It will be interesting for sure, MS is never going to get in the conversation again about how this game runs at 900p on Xbox while it runs at 1080p on the PS4, so that will cost money. MS has very very deep pockets though and could sustain an extended period of hardware loss sales if people are turning around and signing up for Game Pass subs. It's going to be really interesting for sure to see who flinches first on price, but as of right now I'm still in the $499 camp for both. Xbox can't afford a click bait headline that says the next Xbox costs $600. 

#1948 Zantra  

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:51 PM

After the PlayStation 3 and Xbox One launches, I highly doubt either one will be at $700. That seems like console suicide.

I agree. Cell phones do way more than video game consoles. It doesn't make sense for a video game console to have a cell phone price. And, Nintendo has already proven that just because you make a portable console as powerful as a cell phone, you don't need to make it as expensive.

#1949 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4358 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, $700 isn't in the cards at all. I could see 600 for a console being feasible, but all the console manufacturers will likely have the disaster "599 US DOLLARS" in the back of their minds for a while still. According the article that leaked the PS5 info, the PS4 was only being sold at a $19 margin at launch. I think Sony will want their price to be as low as possible so maybe $475 could actually happen.

It's hard to say anything for sure. The PS3 supposedly was sold at a massive loss of around $240 per unit, but they don't seem like they'd want to be in anything close to resembling that problem again with consoles/games being the biggest money-makers for Sony as a whole. If they were to try and undercut the Series X that seems like it has to be $500, a $400 PS5 could happen. The issue there is that ridiculously high Xbox One launch price was forced by the Kinect and made even worse by the weak specs of the system itself. These factors don't appear to be there with the Series X and PS5 seemingly having similar specs, and the hopes of undercutting price go out the window if the weaker Lockhart Xbox is still happening.

Realistically Sony can easily just wait for Xbox to name their price, match or slightly beat it, and still absolutely dominate sales this year just coasting on the momentum they've had for the entire generation, not to mention having actual exclusive games to the new box when Xbox won't have any, unless some third-party publisher is insane. I assume Xbox will announce a price at E3, so I guess we'll know soon after then.

#1950 braiiins   Braiiins CAGiversary!   1138 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:56 AM

Played the tutorial and one match of the Bleeding Edge beta. It's got some cool heroes and mixes things up in a decent way. I'm glad it is launching on gamepass because as cool as it may be I'd be worried that it wouldn't sell well and a month after release you'd have the diehard players that would steamroll anyone that just has a basic understanding.