* * * - - 8 votes

Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

#91 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10567 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:51 AM

Impressions of The Outriders demo on the PS5:

First of all this is obviously a cross gen game. The models for the characters are pretty bad looking sometimes and the environmental objects can look less detailed sometimes as well. I'll put it straight and tell you that game play is very clunky. The balance is for 3 player teams. Shots rarely every miss so you need to clunkily move from cover to cover like a Gears of War game. The loot is OK. Not super exciting, but decent. The skill tree is also decent. The story was cool at first, but just went to predictable so-so after a while. This feels like a cross between Destiny, Gears of War, The Division, Borderlands and probably that clunky Left Alive which I never played. It's not as good as any of those sans Left Alive, which I'm sure it's better than. The demo is glitchy at times as well. I played a tank character and felt my HP melting away. I did play 1 and 2 player, so I could tell playing alone this game is not worth it. The story is typical 

Spoiler
fair. The shooting was OK enough, but you peak out of cover and you have like 6 people shooting at you not missing all at once. It felt like a less fun Borderlands, with less zany humor and more depression. Frankly it feels like something like Painkiller with the arenas so enclosed and annoying at times. Honestly I'm only getting it if my friends get it. This was a 6 or 6.5 out of 10 experience. I know looter shooters don't come out everyday, but this feels pretty average already. I can answer other questions, but yeah likely not for me.

#92 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:13 AM

Spelunky (PS4, PS3, and Vita cross-buy) is on sale for $4.49 for the first time since July 2015. 

https://store.playst...5.0&smcid=psapp

And it's still better than the sequel.  :shock:

#93 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71087 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 06 March 2021 - 02:34 AM

#94 JaytheGamefan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4408 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

JaytheGamefan

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:14 AM

Grabbed a couple of Star Ocean games and Foregone - about $33 total for the lot, not bad at all.

#95 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:26 AM

Playing with Power: The History of Nintendo has a lot of Sony console history too. It's on Crackle.

#96 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:27 AM

The one in the OP?

Yup, that one. I could swear it wasn’t in the OP when I checked it. In any case, thanks for setting me straight

#97 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:52 AM

Spelunky (PS4, PS3, and Vita cross-buy) is on sale for $4.49 for the first time since July 2015. 

https://store.playst...5.0&smcid=psapp

And it's still better than the sequel.  :shock:

The sequel didn't hook me, but to be fair, it took me at least 3 different tries before the original hooked me. I've taken some time off and might jump back into the sequel down the line. I haven't really gone online to see what the impressions of the sequel are at this point. It felt kind of long to me. 

#98 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 10:08 AM

Grabbed a couple of Star Ocean games and Foregone - about $33 total for the lot, not bad at all.

Thanks for posting this - I hadn't realized that First Departure was at its lowest price now.

#99 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 11:01 AM

The sequel didn't hook me, but to be fair, it took me at least 3 different tries before the original hooked me. I've taken some time off and might jump back into the sequel down the line. I haven't really gone online to see what the impressions of the sequel are at this point. It felt kind of long to me. 

The original PSN release was a port of the PC remake of the original PC game.  But it's my favorite game on any platform. 

And I don't want to sound elitist, but I have a few issues with Spelunky 2 that keep me from enjoying it as much.

1. They moved the button to go through the door to the next stage to R1 instead of L1.  It sounds like a small issue, but in a game with randomly placed enemies and a ghost who suddenly appears to kill you when you take too long to finish the stage, you might miss a split-second button press to quickly exit because muscle memory fails you.

2. The jumps seem floatier to me.  Again, it probably seems obsessive, but I play both games back to back daily to put a score on the leaderboard.

3. The whip has a shorter range.  Therefore, you have to get closer to the enemies to kill them.

4. I could do without all the animals that they give you to ride if they gave you more opportunities to get better weapons and backpacks.

5. The graphics were cleaner in the last game.  Spelunky 2 looks like it was hand-drawn by a child.  The jungle stage looks horrible.

I might sound like an old man, but it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :oldman:

#100 scaryice   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   212 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 12:10 PM

And I don't want to sound elitist, but I have a few issues with Spelunky 2 that keep me from enjoying it as much.

1. They moved the button to go through the door to the next stage to R1 instead of L1.  It sounds like a small issue, but in a game with randomly placed enemies and a ghost who suddenly appears to kill you when you take too long to finish the stage, you might miss a split-second button press to quickly exit because muscle memory fails you.

You can easily remap it to L1 in the options.

#101 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 01:25 PM

You can easily remap it to L1 in the options.

Thanks for the advice.  I remapped the button.  But I still hate the game.  :bomb:

In other news, it took me two years, but I was finally able to deactivate all of my PlayStation systems in order to add a replacement Vita to my PSN account.  For some reason, it never worked before.  I can finally replay my old games.  :D/

My previous OLED Vita got destroyed in the washing machine, but I bought a replacement OLED Vita before the prices on them went sky high.  The screen has a single scratch on the bottom, but it's still great.  Always check your pockets!  :shock:

#102 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

Impressions of The Outriders demo on the PS5:

Snip

I'll double your sentiments after playing the demo. Its definitely a mixed bag with more bad than good. It tries so hard to be Destiny and not at the same time, it doesn't have anything unique characteristics of it's own; it just takes things from other shooters and throws them together hoping it meshes well, except it doesn't.

Thankfully I'm not the only who feels the movement was clunky. It definitely needs work. I also didn't like the random and violent camera shakes during some cutscenes, it was really jarring. My biggest gripe though are the load times and screens, they were a constant annoyance and took at least 30-40 seconds at minimum almost everywhere you go. Unless they make a lot of QoL improvements and updates some of the core mechanics, I think people should stay away from it. I honestly had more fun with Anthem after some of their updates than I did with this demo.

#103 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3784 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 06 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

My previous OLED Vita got destroyed in the washing machine, but I bought a replacement OLED Vita before the prices on them went sky high. The screen has a single scratch on the bottom, but it's still great. Always check your pockets! :shock:

I lost my old Vita during a particularly bad day. I was playing it on the bus and had a lot of errands to run that day, when I got a call from work. Turns out my paycheck had fallen out of my pocket at a different location; someone found it and called my employer, who called me.

During this time the bus reached my stop, so while processing the information, deciding how/when to pick it up, and getting off the bus, I accidentally left my Vita in the seat.

Didn't realize until I got home fifteen minutes later. Called the bus company, but they said they wouldn't search the bus for anything that wasn't vital like wallet or keys. And of course on the bus's round trip the Vita was gone.

Enjoy my hacked 64GB card Vita, you lucky son of a bitch.

#104 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:05 PM

I lost my old Vita during a particularly bad day. I was playing it on the bus and had a lot of errands to run that day, when I got a call from work. Turns out my paycheck had fallen out of my pocket at a different location; someone found it and called my employer, who called me.

During this time the bus reached my stop, so while processing the information, deciding how/when to pick it up, and getting off the bus, I accidentally left my Vita in the seat.

Didn't realize until I got home fifteen minutes later. Called the bus company, but they said they wouldn't search the bus for anything that wasn't vital like wallet or keys. And of course on the bus's round trip the Vita was gone.

Emjoy my hacked 64GB card Vita, you lucky son of a bitch.

Sorry for your loss.  I used to take my Vita to the laundromat.  This replacement will never leave the house.  Lesson learned. 

#105 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 March 2021 - 09:29 PM

That $1 EA Play first month deal ends March 9 if anyone was thinking of using it to play Fallen Order.

#106 thundarr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   718 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

thundarr

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:19 AM

Just finished the Heavenly Sword movie and wondering why the hell we never got a sequel to the game.....?

#107 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71087 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:29 AM

https://store.playst...SNOWSUB01MDIS50

You can get a month of PlayStation Now for $4.99 (50% off) until 3/12.

#108 Zenax[zd]   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   826 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Zenax[zd]

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:23 AM

Just finished the Heavenly Sword movie and wondering why the hell we never got a sequel to the game.....?

Can read all about it online as Tameem is way too open about most things, but, the game just didn't make its budget back and Sony didn't think it was worth doing another. It wasn't like a bomb or anything (sold 1 mil copies in the first half a year it was out) but it was probably a pretty expensive game.

#109 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 07 March 2021 - 05:27 AM

Any game recommendations?

#110 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:54 AM

The original PSN release was a port of the PC remake of the original PC game.  But it's my favorite game on any platform. 

2. The jumps seem floatier to me.  Again, it probably seems obsessive, but I play both games back to back daily to put a score on the leaderboard.

3. The whip has a shorter range.  Therefore, you have to get closer to the enemies to kill them.

4. I could do without all the animals that they give you to ride if they gave you more opportunities to get better weapons and backpacks.

5. The graphics were cleaner in the last game.  Spelunky 2 looks like it was hand-drawn by a child.  The jungle stage looks horrible.

I might sound like an old man, but it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :oldman:

The animals are pretty dumb, I don't really like them at all. Hell, one of them basically insta-kills you if you're no good at teleporting.

The Jungle indeed looks awful. The insta-kill bear trap was also an awful addition that is super hard to see in the Jungle. 

I hate how long the

Spoiler
takes if you're trying to take one of the more extended paths. It also feels really random compared to the rest of the game. I've died there so many times. I don't want to look up ways to cheese it, but also, I hate taking 10+ minutes just to get there only to stupidly die.

The mini boss fight in 1-4 is also pretty stupid and pointless. I wish it was a "sometimes" event that randomly spawned, instead of always being 1-4.

Like I said, I haven't played it in months and they may have patched some of these things. Overall it's still a pretty fun game but it's no Spelunky 1. 

#111 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:10 AM

Target Circle users should now have two additional Circle offers that are good for this week only:

- 10% off any one select electronics or video game item

- 25% off any one select toy.

You have to add the offer to your Target Circle account, and it's probably not going to work on any physical Nintendo games or systems.

But after checking the Target website, it looks like it might work on Nintendo eShop, PlayStation Network, Steam, and Xbox Live gift cards.

#112 SackAttack   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   891 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

SackAttack

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:34 AM

Called the bus company, but they said they wouldn't search the bus for anything that wasn't vital like wallet or keys. And of course on the bus's round trip the Vita was gone.

Lost my entire key ring on the bus a few years ago, and they wouldn't bother to look for those at all.

#113 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8449 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:10 PM

Rocket League is offering the Moonpaw wheels in-game this weekend for free.

Designed by Psyonix prop artist Lindsey, they are available to celebrate Women's History Month.  They must be claimed in-game in the store.

https://www.rocketle...-history-month/

#114 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71087 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:11 PM

Any game recommendations?

It's best to download the app on your PS4/PS5 and look through what's on it to see if you're interested in checking anything out for a few weeks.

#115 CrepeNuts  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:25 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but The Curator's Cut for Little Hope from The Dark Picture Anthology is free now. Like the first one, I assume this was a pre-order bonus that allows you to play the game from a different perspective. 

#116 Hypebeast69  

Hypebeast69

Posted 08 March 2021 - 03:25 AM

It's best to download the app on your PS4/PS5 and look through what's on it to see if you're interested in checking anything out for a few weeks.

No def jam fight for ny or fight night champion kills it for me sadly

#117 kozi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   52 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:20 AM

Hi, do you know if they give a code or is it instant?

#118 Freeze Time  

Freeze Time

Posted 08 March 2021 - 06:49 PM

My PS5 arrived today! Right now, I am doing the data transfer and I am already annoyed at the lack of storage this thing has on it. I am transferring from my Pro and right off the bat, I have to pick and choose which games to transfer over. Really lame that Sony didn't include a full TB like MS. What are some solutions you people are doing other than just deleting and installing games? Is there a recommended external HDD?

Is my game sharing transferred? Doesn't look like it. I will do that now. Any other tricks or tips?

Watching the new interface vids now.

#119 AoA   Ace of Aces CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:16 PM

I just didn't transfer anything.  I am finishing up what I want on the PS4 and I could always redownload something to the PS5 if I really want to.

#120 elessar123  

Posted 08 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

I just transfered what I was going to play in the near future, and delete when I'm done. It sucks, but I'm not a fan of permanently attached external drives.