Rick Rude's wrestling topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say hello to the Ravishing one

rickrude6qr.jpg

"Ravishing" Rick Rude was one of the all-time great heels in the industry. Additionally Rude was a member of the infamous "Heenan Family" (Omg he's tying the topics together now)

Rude is probably best remembered for his late 80s feud with the Ultimate Warrior (this is as close to getting a topic as Hellwig will ever get), although younger/newer fans may best remember Rude for being a member of both the original D-X and nWo.

Rude held many titles during his career, including the WWF Intercontinental title, NWA American Heavyweight title, WCW United States Heavyweight title, and WCW International Heavyweight title.

Rick suffered a severe neck injury in 1994 that kept him out of the ring for the most part, but he still remained active as a member of ECW, WWE and the WCW, sometimes two at once!

Why Ravishing Rick Rude kicks ass:

• Rick Rude jumped ship to the WWF while still on the ECW roster November 17, 1997: Rick Rude made history by being the FIRST man to ever appear on WWF RAW and WCW Nitro on the same night..
  • This was made possible because RAW, was taped 6 days earlier, and Nitro was live
  • November 1997: Rick Rude contacted Eric Bischoff, voicing his displeasure over the way Bret Hart was treated in the WWF
  • During the Ultimate Warrior/Rick Rude program, Rude came back after the match and asked Warrior to "lighten up" a bit. Warrior got right in Rude's face and said, "I don't have to, because I'm the Warrior." Rude knocked him silly with one punch and walked away.
Sadly, Rick Rude passed away in early 1999 at the age of 40.

Update straight from WWE.com:

Lesnar update: negotiations break down

After verbally agreeing to terms with WWE, Brock Lesnar has decided to withdraw from any involvement with the company.

Check back here for more on this developing story.

Rick Rude was the man. My favorite is when I believe he had a pair of trunks made up with Miss Elizabeth's face on it.

Pure genius.

PWinsider.com is reporting that Matt Striker has indeed signed with WWE. The source is also reporting that Striker signed a standard WWE contract, and not a developmental deal.

Also, great choice on Rude, definitely one of the greats. I remember watching some WWF show a long time ago and he got rolled over in a small package and who ever he wrestled grabbed his tights and they came almost off and of course there was this big blur that they used to censor the scene. For some reason I still find that funny to this day :lol: .

I'm glad that you listed that last point about Rude (knocking out the Warrior).

Rude was far beyond *any* other "sexy" wrestler ever.

*snif* "What I'd like to have right now...is for all you fat, out of shape, CAG sweathogs...keep your mouths shut while I take my robe off, and show you what a *real* man is supposed to look like!"

Not to mention all the ladies who swooned after his matches. Classic.

Rude was a bit before my time...

I wish I got to see more of him, as his character is the type I love, and everyone says he was the best at it.

Well, I can only hope that the November (?) Jake "The Snake" Roberts DVD will feature his awesome feud with Rick Rude.

It was Edge and Matt Hardy 1987. I remember freaking out when Rude, standing on the turnbuckle, pulled down his tights to reveal another pair of tights, with Roberts' wife airbrushed on them. After splashing and pinning his opponent, Roberts ran out in Hardy-like fashion to assault Rude.

I was 9 at the time, and I totally was rooting for the good guys and booing the bad guys (except Demolition ;)), but I knew Rude was just awesome. Didn't he injure himself in some way that shortened his career?

Great choice with Rick Rude. It was cool when he appeared in all three feds at the same time. :)

Just caught up with the other thread and it looks like the Hardcore Homecoming DVD is just 2 burned DVDs and a PC-printed cover? Yipes! They better do better than that when the DVD is released in stores. Otherwise, there will be a shitstorm with all the people who have finicky players that don't play burned media. Plus, it just looks bad. Even those $1 DVDs and cheap sets have pressed media.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Man, so much for that awesome Matt Hardy angle, eh?[/QUOTE]

Thus is why one would assume that there's at least some shoot in there...
I mean, at this point, would you trust WWE's writers to be able to write thier way out of a paper bag?

But, Matt used their real names! SHOOT~@! Skanky Lita sounds weird with a fancy French last name, though.

That promo was pretty lame... but, I'm still looking forward to their SS match, for some reason. There better not be one wrestling move, though...

And if they swerve us with Lita "returning" during/after the match and going back with Matt... which they're kinda setting up with Lita's "injury"... I'm going to be sick.

[quote name='kittie']But, Matt used their real names! SHOOT~@! Skanky Lita sounds weird with a fancy French last name, though.

That promo was pretty lame... but, I'm still looking forward to their SS match, for some reason. There better not be one wrestling move, though...

And if they swerve us with Lita "returning" during/after the match and going back with Matt... which they're kinda setting up with Lita's "injury"... I'm going to be sick.[/QUOTE]

In my eyes, that promo killed ALL of the heat that was built up.
It went from either a real issue or a cleverly crafted storyline that appeared real to just another lame run of the mill storyline.

I mean, even Sting hanging out in the rafters for the 100th time was still more interesting than that.

[quote name='kittie']But, Matt used their real names! SHOOT~@! Skanky Lita sounds weird with a fancy French last name, though.

And if they swerve us with Lita "returning" during/after the match and going back with Matt... which they're kinda setting up with Lita's "injury"... I'm going to be sick.[/QUOTE]

But consider the pop HHH got at WMX8 when he pedigree'd Steph. If there's one thing that gets the crowd a'poppin for the faces, it's domestic violence.

I've thought of more ideas in the shower than WWE has for this angle. Why not have work the 'net nerds by telling them Edge missed Raw because his flight was mysteriously cancelled? That his tires were slashed (and it's FREE to do that if you work the nerds at pwinsider.com or pwtorch - for christ's sake, they are ADMITTING they don't know if Lesnar backing out is a work, so all they need to do is have whatever backstage stooge leaks news to these fuckers tell the net nerds white lies). Free publicity, and nobody knows it's a work. Have the crowd see Hardy get into a scuffle in the street with some agents (ones people recognize, like Sgt. Slaughter or Dean Malenko) when people are trying to enter the building at 7:00 for a show. Have Edge flanked with security going into the building, leaving for his match, and have him go right to his car after the match.

The thing that THIS VERY ANGLE PROVES, yet nobody in the WWE writing team seems to understand, is that *it doesn't have to be on camera for word to get out*. That should have been the most important thing that they kept in mind when putting together this story line. Why not promote a "non sanctioned" match? Jesus, one Vince McMahon autoeroticasphyxiation promo later, and the single best angle of the year (Hogan/Michaels is good, but this was better) is totally ruined.

Is it taboo to discuss the idea of having the OP link to a copy of their theme music? I only think of this b/c Rude's was too fantastic to pass up, and those who missed him need to hear it.

Don't turn it up too loud, or you will experience death by saxophone.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm glad that you listed that last point about Rude (knocking out the Warrior).

Rude was far beyond *any* other "sexy" wrestler ever.

*snif* "What I'd like to have right now...is for all you fat, out of shape, CAG sweathogs...keep your mouths shut while I take my robe off, and show you what a *real* man is supposed to look like!"

Not to mention all the ladies who swooned after his matches. Classic.[/QUOTE]

HBK may have come close as far as "sexy" wrestlers are concerned, but he changed his gimmick over time, although Sherri's voice is still heard on his theme music. I guess if HBK was the "sexy boy", Rick Rude was the "sexy man" and after saying that I'm gonna go hang out with my girl so I can feel a bit straighter...

[quote name='mykevermin']Is it taboo to discuss the idea of having the OP link to a copy of their theme music? I only think of this b/c Rude's was too fantastic to pass up, and those who missed him need to hear it.

Don't turn it up too loud, or you will experience death by saxophone.[/QUOTE]

That is actually a sweet idea. I'm not quite sure how I'd go about finding certain wrestlers theme music, but if I can I'll definitely incorporate it into future wrestling topics. Is there a specific site with wrestling tunes on it? The university seems to be blocking most p2ps at the moment, so things could get tricky.

Oh and I think that one day you and I need to go and put in applications as WWE writers. Just a thought... I'm sure Russo is sitting back on his bags of Ted Turner's cash, so there's probably less lucrative professions. :whistle2:k Not sure if I have the proper credentials, but fuck it.

I have a collection of wrestler themes. It's labeled WWF Themes 1984-1996, and it has a lot of rare themes in there. I think I have Rick Rude's. I could probably upload it on yousendit or something.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']That is actually a sweet idea. I'm not quite sure how I'd go about finding certain wrestlers theme music, but if I can I'll definitely incorporate it into future wrestling topics. Is there a specific site with wrestling tunes on it? The university seems to be blocking most p2ps at the moment, so things could get tricky.

Oh and I think that one day you and I need to go and put in applications as WWE writers. Just a thought... I'm sure Russo is sitting back on his bags of Ted Turner's cash, so there's probably less lucrative professions. :whistle2:k Not sure if I have the proper credentials, but fuck it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the problem with WWE is they would rather hire sitcom writers who know nothing about wrestling than people with wrestling backgrounds/writers who are fans. They think that fans will give their personal favorites pushes, while these hollywood writers are less biased. But the truth is, the hollywood writers don't know how to write continuity, almost every sitcom is self-contained, most movies are self contained wrestling isn't. I wouldn't mind seeing WWE bring in writers from shows like 24 or Lost or even Desperate Housewives where every show relies on the backstory of the previous shows, but they seem to be more into hiring "comedy" writers. Therefore these writers conveniently forget things to further whatever stupid angle it is they want to move forward.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Man, so much for that awesome Matt Hardy angle, eh?[/QUOTE]

Can I call them?

I had this one pegged from the start. He is quickly headed back to the mid card right after his fight with Edge.

Could have went to another organization and been a star

Matt wouldn't have been a star in TNA, either... he would have had a cup of coffee in the main event on first arrival, then go in the tag division with Jeff, and feud with AMW forever. Main eventers have to talk in TNA. And they already have one poor mic worker with a southern drawl, but he's a lot more exciting worker.

I give credit to Matt. He's got his name in the spotlight with all of this... with limited skills. It may end up being short term, but it's better than never being there at all.

ROH, WWE, and TNA talent all in one night!

Ring Of Honor
Dayton, Ohio
August 12th, 2005
Montgomery County Fairgrounds
1043 S. Main St, Dayton, Ohio, 45409
8:00pm belltime

ROH World Title Four Way Elimination Match
ROH World Champion CM Punk vs. ROH Pure Champion Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. James Gibson

Main Event #2
Matt Hardy vs. Homicide

Six Man War
Austin Aries, Roderick Strong & Matt Sydal vs. Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley & Abyss with Prince Nana

ROH Tag Title Match
Champions BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs defend vs. Nigel McGuinness & Chad Collyer

Grudge Match
Low Ki vs. Jay Lethal

Much more to be signed with Spanky; Colt Cabana; Ace Steel; Matt Stryker; Delirious; Daizee Haze and more to be added!!!

This is going to be a fantastic show!

[quote name='mykevermin']ROH, WWE, and TNA talent all in one night!

Ring Of Honor
Dayton, Ohio
August 12th, 2005
Montgomery County Fairgrounds
1043 S. Main St, Dayton, Ohio, 45409
8:00pm belltime

ROH World Title Four Way Elimination Match
ROH World Champion CM Punk vs. ROH Pure Champion Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels vs. James Gibson

Main Event #2
Matt Hardy vs. Homicide

Six Man War
Austin Aries, Roderick Strong & Matt Sydal vs. Jimmy Rave, Alex Shelley & Abyss with Prince Nana

ROH Tag Title Match
Champions BJ Whitmer & Jimmy Jacobs defend vs. Nigel McGuinness & Chad Collyer

Grudge Match
Low Ki vs. Jay Lethal

Much more to be signed with Spanky; Colt Cabana; Ace Steel; Matt Stryker; Delirious; Daizee Haze and more to be added!!!

This is going to be a fantastic show![/QUOTE]

nice card

I have Rude's theme, the quality of it is very shitty though. I need to find one that is crisp and clear. I'll try to upload it on yousendit. It'll take a bit cause I have 56k :(

Holy shit!

*Velocity spoiler ahead... significant one*

I usually read the Velocity/dark match spoilers just to see who's wrestling, even though I try desparately to avoid spoilers for Smackdown itself. I guess I shouldn't have read the velocity spoilers this week.

Nunzio pinned Paul London in a Cruiserweight Title match after Big Vito interfered! I love Nunzio and am glad to see him as champ, but I was shocked to see a title change on Velocity.

*end spoiler*

[quote name='guyver2077']hbk's entrance is up at ign..

check out those awesome camera angles[/QUOTE]

I didn't care for DoR but man that was just awesome. Definately plan on at least renting this when it comes out

the fact that they did not include that dumb shirt he wears now when he comes out to the ring is a bonus

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']LAME. MEGA-LAME.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with the timing or execution necessarily, but the end results makes me happy.

VELOCITY & SMACKDOWN! SPOILERS BELOW

Dark Match:

- CM Punk & Bobby Lashley defeated TNT when Lashley pinned Garrison Cade.

Velocity:

- Nunzio defeated Paul London to win the WWE Cruiserweight Title when Nunzio hit London from behind with a foreign object while Big Vito distracted London and the referee.

- Frankie Kazarian defeated Danny Doring after an STO. The crowd chanted "boring" early, but got into the match as it went on.

- Simon Dean won a quick squash.

- Paul London cut a promo in the ring, saying he wanted everyone to march in protest to WWE Headquarters because he lost the Cruiserweight Title to "Two criminals".

- Hardcore Holly defeated U.S. Champion Orlando Jordan via disqualification when Jordan pulled the referee in front of him as Holly was charging him in a corner.

Smackdown:

- A video recap of Eddie telling Rey's "secret" started the show.

- Smackdown opened with a Christian talk-show segment (ala Piper's Pit, Highlight Reel, Carlito's Cabana, etc.) called the "Peep Show" with Rey Mysterio as the guest. Christian started to question Rey, but Mysterio cut him off and said that Christian had promised him that Eddie Guerrero would be there. Christian then introduced Guerrero, who appeared on the screen wearing a T-Shirt that said "I'm your Papi". Guerrero started to read "Chapter 2" of his bedtime story for Dominic, but Rey kept yelling to stop him. Guerrero said he was going to read Chapter 2 by the end of the show, one way or another. Guerrero also said he had something Rey would really like, and Christian hit Rey from behind with the mic and laid him out.

- Jillian Hall cut a promo saying her mole has put a "blemish on her soul", trying to put heat on it. She was saying fans shouldn't look away from her because of it. She walked past Booker T and Sharmell, with Booker looking at her and remarking "Tell me I didn't just see that".

- MNM defeated Chris Benoit and Booker T in a real good match. The finish saw Benoit lock the Crippler Crossface on Johnny Nitro on the floor while Booker fought Joey Mercury in the ring. Booker went for the ax kick on Mercury, but Melina grabbed his leg as he came off the ropes. Sharmell chased Melina into the ring, but Jillian Hall tackled Sharmell and they started a catfight. Booker threw Hall off of Sharmell, but it allowed Mercury to roll up Booker from behind and hook the trunks for the pin. There was a huge chant for Benoit after the match.

- Theodore R. Long informed Christian that he would face Rey Mysterio tonight.

- A video package was shown on how JBL became the number one contender to the World Heavyweight Title.

- Josh Mathews tried to interview Randy Orton, but Orton blew him off and said he would explain his actions to the Undertaker himself tonight.

- They had the Batista-JBL contract signing for Summerslam. They went back and forth on the mic, and Batista finally signed first. However, Batista left the stipulations blank, saying he would beat JBL in any type of match. JBL said Batista had a "Million dollar body and a nickel brain". JBL said he would beat Batista at Summerslam, and it would be in a No Holds Barred match.

- Psicosis & Super Crazy defeated William Regal & Scotty 2 Hotty. Scotty was beat down, and when he went to tag Regal, Regal jumped off the apron and walked off. After getting a ton of heat on Scotty, Psicosis pinned him with a top rope legdrop while Regal watched from the aisle.

- Backstage, Road Warrior Animal was painting his face while Heidenreich was saying he loved his new haircut. They teased that he would have his face painted next.

- Randy Orton came to the ring for a promo. He said that fate caused him to lose his chance at immortality, but now it has put him on Smackdown. He said that Undertaker took away what he wanted, so he's going to take everything that he can from the Undertaker. Orton issued a challenge for Undertaker to face him at Summerslam. Undertaker's music played, and a purple light enveloped the ring. The letters "RKO" appeared on the Titantron. The Undertaker's voice rang out, saying "You want a legacy, you will get your wish. At Summerslam, you will rest in peace". The RKO on the screen turned into "RIP". The crowd booed at the end of the segment when Undertaker didn't appear before the crowd.

- They ran down the Summerslam card, with the announcement of Matt Hardy vs. Edge receiving the biggest pop from the live crowd.

- WWE Tag Team Champions Road Warrior Animal & Heidenreich defeated Josh Daniels & Damian Adams. Heidenreich had Road Warrior-style makeup on.

- A Boogeyman promo was shown.

- Eddie Guerrero was outside when a woman showed up. Guerrero said he was thrilled to see her because without her, there is no Chapter 2.

- Rey Mysterio defeated Christian with the 619 in a good match. Eddie Guerrero and the woman sat in chairs in the aisle. Rey challenged Eddie to get in the ring. Eddie said he would love to, but he has "manners" because an old friend, Anna, is with him. Rey looked shocked at the mention of her name. Anna took Eddie's story book and gave it to Rey, and Eddie said that he can read it, or Eddie will. Rey looked at the book, but didn't read anything over the mic. Eddie said that Rey was holding official custody papers and Rey will have to bring Dominic next week, because the courts have determined that Eddie is the true father, biologically and legally. He said that next week, Rey will have to hand Dominic over to Eddie. Eddie said that if Rey proves he truly loves Dominic, maybe Eddie will let Rey keep him.

- Rey cut a long, good promo about how much he loves Dominic. He said that they all promised to wait until Dominic was old enough to understand, but Eddie had to open his mouth. Rey said Dominic is depressed and begged Eddie not to hurt him anymore. Eddie said that Rey was good, and "almost had him". Anna said something to Eddie, and Guerrero said that Anna is his attorney and reminded Eddie not to fall for it. Guerrero said that after Rey lied all this time to Dominic, the courts will never trust him to care for Eddie's son. He said that he has three daughters he loves, and next week he will have Dominic to carry on the Guerrero legacy. Guerrero said that next week we would hear Chapter 3 of his story, "Dominic comes home to Papi", to end Smackdown.

END SPOILERS

Not to be a dick, but don't they usually describe the type of match it's going to be before they come down to the ring? Not during the entrance.. aside from that, pretty good.

//edit: Don't host pictures on yahoo, they rotate the links every hour or so.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but the WWE signed Matt Striker... and not just to a developmental deal, but a full-fledged deal!

He had some great mic work with Kurt Angle, and was OK in the ring too. I wonder what they'll come up with for him.

[quote name='Matt Young']*Velocity spoiler ahead... significant one*[/QUOTE]

It's pitiful that this was the introduction of such an awful fuckin' wrestler, in particular when this was tried two years ago with moderately better wrestlers, who had a much better look, and still failed then. fuckin' lovely.

Good for the winner, though.

I have no problem with said winner of said match... but considering that said winner is like 3-100 in the last year... that points out certain problems with said wrestling federation.

I just found out that Unforgiven will be here in OKC on Sept. 18th.

I wish some of my old buddies from high school were still around. That would be fun. I've never been to a live event.

Once tickets go on sale, I'm going to try to get tickets for WrestleMania 22. It is in my home state this year, about a 6 hour drive though...

From WWE.com:

Bret "Hitman" Hart is expected to be at WWE HQ today at 4:00 p.m. EST.

Most likely this is to discuss his induction into the Hall of Fame. Damn, I hope they induct him and he makes another TV appearance. It would be one of the greatest mark-out moments of all time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back