Anyone else seen the new backlit GBA SP?

V

Virtua

We got these in at work today, they come in pearl blue and black, with big lettering "Now brighter screen" or something. I wanted to see what it's all about, so I opened one up, and WOW. I think it's brighter than the screen on the PSP. And they're still $80. I sold my SP after the DS came out but I am picking one of these up because it is such an amazing screen, and I still play GBC games.

[quote name='jer7583']We got these in at work today, they come in pearl blue and black, with big lettering "Now brighter screen" or something. I wanted to see what it's all about, so I opened one up, and WOW. I think it's brighter than the screen on the PSP. And they're still $80. I sold my SP after the DS came out but I am picking one of these up because it is such an amazing screen, and I still play GBC games.[/QUOTE]I knew they were coming out with the pearl and graphite colors, didn't know they had new screens.

after some research, it appears that nintendo got some kind of deal on these new backlit lcds used by the micro and DS, so they're revamping the SP to include a screen much like the Micro's, but bigger. Im getting another SP, because I was so impressed with the screen.

ww[quote name='jer7583']We got these in at work today, they come in pearl blue and black, with big lettering "Now brighter screen" or something. I wanted to see what it's all about, so I opened one up, and WOW. I think it's brighter than the screen on the PSP. And they're still $80. I sold my SP after the DS came out but I am picking one of these up because it is such an amazing screen, and I still play GBC games.[/QUOTE]

Pearl, Blue, AND Black

or

Pearl Blue, AND Black

[quote name='jer7583']after some research, it appears that nintendo got some kind of deal on these new backlit lcds used by the micro and DS, so they're revamping the SP to include a screen much like the Micro's, but bigger. Im getting another SP, because I was so impressed with the screen.[/QUOTE]
So let me get this straight, for $20 dollars less, you get a bigger screen that is just as bright as the micro and still have the ability to play old school GB games? God, if the micro wasn't ridiculous before, it's even more ridiculous now.

[quote name='guardian_owl']So let me get this straight, for $20 dollars less, you get a bigger screen that is just as bright as the micro and still have the ability to play old school GB games? God, if the micro wasn't ridiculous before, it's even more ridiculous now.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean those Micros won't sell like crazy...some people are attracted to that incredibly small design. (Although I'm not...)

noo_gba.jpg

Well, in that case, it looks like I need to get another $80 to drop on my 5th GBA. This is what I've always wanted, and pretty much the only reason I really bought a DS.... for backlight GBA play. I would have gotten Micro, but the small screen and lack of BC turned me off big time, especially with the price tag it carries.

I still find it extremely weird that this was never mentioned by IGN, Gamespot, Nintendo, and advertisments, ect. I swear Nintendo's on crack.

Old vs New: this is most definitely not Bogus: and the difference does indeed seem significant:

noo_gbaB.jpg

Congrats for Nintendo getting some of you to buy it yet again.

Pretty cool, I've got a DS so not for me, but I'm sure someone, somewhere in the far corner of the world doesn't have an SP and will want this.

Damn .. I had every intention of buying the micro since I don't like carrying my DS around for gba games .. but If I can get an SP with the same quality screen ? .. going to be all over it tomorrow.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']It actually looks too bright.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to say that, I think the DS is perfect, and seeing the brightness next to it seems blinding. Unless there is some sort of brightness control.

[quote name='xzafixz']I was just about to say that, I think the DS is perfect, and seeing the brightness next to it seems blinding. Unless there is some sort of brightness control.[/QUOTE]

It was already bright enough to start with IMO. The only thing that making it brighter is going to do is hurt the battery life.

[quote name='Madskills1182']damn we didnt get those at my store today. I might have to get another sp[/QUOTE]

You got a big enough sig there?

[quote name='Banshee350']It was already bright enough to start with IMO. The only thing that making it brighter is going to do is hurt the battery life.[/QUOTE]

good point

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Damn .. I had every intention of buying the micro since I don't like carrying my DS around for gba games .. but If I can get an SP with the same quality screen ? .. going to be all over it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Who's that girl?

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I thought there was a sig size guideline? I just ended up blocking it. Thank god for firefox adblock[/QUOTE]

I haven't used my ignore list yet, but I am thinking about it right now :p

[quote name='62t']wow just like nintendo to not hype this amazing system.[/QUOTE]

They didn't hype it because they didn't want people calling in and bitching about how their older SP doesn't have a bright screen like the new ones, then demanding they replace them.

The designation instead of AGS (for the brighter ones only obviously) is supposively AGT btw.

[quote name='xzafixz']Pretty cool, I've got a DS so not for me, but I'm sure someone, somewhere in the far corner of the world doesn't have an SP and will want this.[/QUOTE]

That would be me!

Have a regular gba and been thinking about getting a ds or sp. Might have to go with this new sp for the time being.

WTF? When did this come out? I still think I'd rather have the micro then run out and buy another SP. I never thought there was anything wrong with my SP to begin with... the micro is so tiny though you could really take it ANYWHERE - just think of the possibilities the next time you get dragged to something you don't want to go to. The SP will fit in a pocket but not comfortably in a pair of nice pants or even jeans. The micro could easily slip in any pocket and come in handy in a jam.

[quote name='iheartmetal']good point[/QUOTE]

I think a backlight can produce a brighter image on the screen for less power than the front lighting of the original SP. I'm curious to give this a whirl.

daroga

i was debating wiether to get the ds, the sp or the micro. Micro was just too small and fragile for me. I think i will get the DS once the new CV game comes out for it :) unless emulation of the ds makes it possible to play the games on the pc :O

[quote name='munch']I'm still happy with my SP. But damn, i do not understand the marketing behind this one.[/QUOTE]

The marketing is simple: get people who don't like how small Micro is to still buy a system. Don't advertise this, so that the Micro can still sell. *shrugs* makes sense to me...

[quote name='ITDEFX']i was debating wiether to get the ds, the sp or the micro. Micro was just too small and fragile for me. I think i will get the DS once the new CV game comes out for it :) unless emulation of the ds makes it possible to play the games on the pc :O[/QUOTE]

Your PC has a touch screen?

[quote name='varsitygamer']Your PC has a touch screen?[/QUOTE]

While I share what I presume to be your distaste for emulation, that's a pretty ignorant comment.

What kind of data input device do you think a mouse is? No, it's not a touch screen, but it inputs data in the same point-and-click (or touch) fashion.

[quote name='snipegod']While I share what I presume to be your distaste for emulation, that's a pretty ignorant comment.

What kind of data input device do you think a mouse is? No, it's not a touch screen, but it inputs data in the same point-and-click (or touch) fashion.[/QUOTE]

some people just don't appreciate sardonic irony.

i don't care about emulation whatsoever. do it or don't. something i do care about however is when people try and read into blatantly ridiculous one-liners.

[quote name='varsitygamer']some people just don't appreciate sardonic irony.

i don't care about emulation whatsoever. do it or don't. something i do care about however is when people try and read into blatantly ridiculous one-liners.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I get it now. It was supposed to be a joke but wasn't funny.

Carry on, then.

[quote name='snipegod']Oh, I get it now. It was supposed to be a joke but wasn't funny.

Carry on, then.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was hilarious.

[quote name='munch']I'm still happy with my SP. But damn, i do not understand the marketing behind this one.[/QUOTE]

Make brighter system ---> sell more copies ---> more dinero

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Congrats for Nintendo getting some of you to buy it yet again.[/QUOTE]
And without even informing us!

Though I was tempted to get a Micro just to keep my Nintendo collection complete, I think I may have to see about getting one of these and maybe switching the shell with my NES SP....

bread's done
Back