Anyone else seen the new backlit GBA SP?

[quote name='dafunkk12']And without even informing us!

Though I was tempted to get a Micro just to keep my Nintendo collection complete, I think I may have to see about getting one of these and maybe switching the shell with my NES SP....[/QUOTE]

How difficult is it to remove an SP's shell? I was under the impression that the hinge would be quite cumbersome.

I can't believe this. I was kind of upset about no backward compatibility on the micro but I was thinking of getting one at some point just to have it in case I got stuck somewhere with some time to kill. The smallness would allow for me to have it with me at all times. However the thought of an SP with such a great screen is sweet. I have a DS but its a bit bulky to take around with me just to play GBA games. What's worse is I already own 2 SP's. Anyone know how much Gamestop would give me for one of them? I have some credit there so maybe I'll trade one up.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']It actually looks too bright.[/QUOTE]There's no such thing as too bright when you're playing outside, though.

[quote name='jkam']Anyone know how much Gamestop would give me for one of them? I have some credit there so maybe I'll trade one up.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked (a couple of months ago) Gamestop was giving $25 in credit while EB gave $30 in credit.

[quote name='Strell']How difficult is it to remove an SP's shell? I was under the impression that the hinge would be quite cumbersome.[/QUOTE]
I don't know myself. But I'm sure by this time at least several people out there have hacked up their GameBoys and posted tutorials online. ...maybe?

[quote name='varsitygamer']some people just don't appreciate sardonic irony.

i don't care about emulation whatsoever. do it or don't. something i do care about however is when people try and read into blatantly ridiculous one-liners.[/QUOTE]

Some people are just dumbasses.

I heard about these last week...and saw them today at Game Crazy. I'll still be picking up a Micro for its size....but Still may get one of these as well.

Ok, just got one from EB and its charging. Both EB and Gamestop give 30 for the SP, BUT, if you trade it in with one game at EB, they will give you an extra 15 dollars. Just make sure its not a POX game.

So you can get 45 towards a new system. Since I had gotten 32.xx from trading in three gba games for nintendogs, then getting the nice clerk to just give me store credit, I just tacked that on, and I only ended up putting 14 bucks on my credit card and traded in my old (yet nice) Cobalt SP and now I have a new Graphite backlit one. When its done charging I'll post a nice review for y'all, if you're interested.

Saw them at TRU when doing the TRU Canada $14 deal, and was so tempted to just throw one on my credit card. I'm such a sucker for SP's; I've owned seventeen, and currently own none (gogo paying back fathers debt + fathers drug addict friends theivery!), but it's either this or the Zelda gold SP I'm buying. So... bright >.>;

Charging first, hehe.

I LOVE this SP. The screen is so nice and crisp, also its 'darker' when the SP is off too. The ONLY thing I don't like is it seems the screen kinda 'smears' when Mario is running...But its not very noticable. All and all a great adition to the GBA family! Too bad this will overshadow the Micro and hurt sales for it. Oh well. I'll still be picking one up.

Well, you ARE supposed to charge first :D

And I hope the blur isn't TOO noticable. I don't have any fast paced scrollers, but I do know that the backlit screen tends to blur a bit in fast motion. At the same time, the front-lit, at least for me, had a bit of a cross-eyed effect, like, some of the text was 1/16 of a mm blurrerd or echoed, especially on dark backgrounds...I was starting to get fed up when I saw double in some games...even if it was subtle.

[quote name='LaseK']Saw them at TRU when doing the TRU Canada $14 deal, and was so tempted to just throw one on my credit card. I'm such a sucker for SP's; I've owned seventeen, and currently own none (gogo paying back fathers debt + fathers drug addict friends theivery!), but it's either this or the Zelda gold SP I'm buying. So... bright >.>;[/QUOTE]

How the HELL do you own 17 SPs? Every japanese color?

[quote name='gizmogc']Wow...those pics suck. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
To take pics of the screens make sure they are all at max brightness in a dark room and turn the flash off on the camera.

gizmogc, could you check something on your new one (i assume you have a new one). I'm really anal about my system being flawless, and while I haven't even turned the thing on to check the screen for dead pixels, one thing that bugs me a bit are tiny, itty bitty little air bubbles that are caught in the "Nintendo" logo sticker on the front of the clam-shell when its closed. Do you have that too, or can I consider that a defect and hope for a dead pisxel so I can exchange this for another one :D

I'm so anal.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']gizmogc, could you check something on your new one (i assume you have a new one). I'm really anal about my system being flawless, and while I haven't even turned the thing on to check the screen for dead pixels, one thing that bugs me a bit are tiny, itty bitty little air bubbles that are caught in the "Nintendo" logo sticker on the front of the clam-shell when its closed. Do you have that too, or can I consider that a defect and hope for a dead pisxel so I can exchange this for another one :D

I'm so anal.[/QUOTE]
All SPs have that. Peel it off, it's just a protective shipping plastic over the logo.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']gizmogc, could you check something on your new one (i assume you have a new one). I'm really anal about my system being flawless, and while I haven't even turned the thing on to check the screen for dead pixels, one thing that bugs me a bit are tiny, itty bitty little air bubbles that are caught in the "Nintendo" logo sticker on the front of the clam-shell when its closed. Do you have that too, or can I consider that a defect and hope for a dead pisxel so I can exchange this for another one :D

I'm so anal.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Peel it off. Thats what I did.

As per my screen, no dust; no dead pixels.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Well, you ARE supposed to charge first :D

And I hope the blur isn't TOO noticable. I don't have any fast paced scrollers, but I do know that the backlit screen tends to blur a bit in fast motion. At the same time, the front-lit, at least for me, had a bit of a cross-eyed effect, like, some of the text was 1/16 of a mm blurrerd or echoed, especially on dark backgrounds...I was starting to get fed up when I saw double in some games...even if it was subtle.[/QUOTE]

I thought something was wrong with my SP because of that. Thank God I wasn't the only one who had this issue.

[quote name='Quackzilla']To take pics of the screens make sure they are all at max brightness in a dark room and turn the flash off on the camera.[/QUOTE]

I'll try again later. The only reason I bothered was since all pictures I have seen are of the Graphite version

So the absolute best deal on this for a trade in would be $35 after $30 for the SP and $15 extra for a non POX game?

A couple of questions for those with the system... I heard that the light button in the middle dims the screen instead of turns it off. True?

This may be too early but how is the battery life?

Someone mentioned that there is some ghosting with it. Is it really bad or doable. I've seen some LCDs that are quite bad watching a movie on let alone playing a game. I would have thought the refresh rate on these would be quite fast.

I dunno about the deal I got...I looked at ebgames.com and it says a system and 3 games...either the site is wrong or the guy was wrong, but either way, bank error in my favor, collect 15 dollars.

Battery life is supposedly 13 hours...more than the SP with the light on, but thats because backlighting seems to be more efficient.

Light only dims or goes full on...no off this time around, mainly because of how the technology works (not as reflective, not really viewable without the light).

As for ghosting, yes, there is some. I'm sure it would be much worse in a game like Classic Mario Bros, due to the bright plain blue bg and fast side scrolling, but for most of my games it wasn't really an issue. The front lighting had double-vision for everything, so its a tradeoff.

The brightness, COLOR CONTRAST, clarity, and overall sharpness are MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than a normal SP.

My only problem now is finding new games to play :)

Fudge. This will be my 3rd GBA.

I'll wait and see if they have any awesome trade in deals at EBgames like they did last October and November. See below:

GBA SP HW and GBA games - up to $75 trade-in value Expires 10/30/2004

Trade-in a working PO GBA SP SYSTEM and 1 to 5 pre-played GBA games and receive up to $75.00 in trade-in credit. System trade-in value is $40 and each game value is $7. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May not be combined with any other offer or discount. Limit of 5 trades per customer. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax. Game must be in working condition

Any new SP colors coming out soon besides this one below?

B000AX23NE.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Darn, that's ugly.

Ok so according to IGN they said Pearl Blue is like the Platinum but with a blue hue. Does that mean Nintendo painted a GBA that color much like Platinum, and eventually that color will chip off or is it Pearl Blue plastic like the Onyx color is?

[quote name='dafunkk12']I think I may have to see about getting one of these and maybe switching the shell with my NES SP....[/QUOTE]

They've changed the mold. You won't be able to do this.

[quote name='mastermind']Ok so according to IGN they said Pearl Blue is like the Platinum but with a blue hue. Does that mean Nintendo painted a GBA that color much like Platinum, and eventually that color will chip off or is it Pearl Blue plastic like the Onyx color is?[/QUOTE]

I'm 99 percent sure that both the graphite and pearl blue are metallic paints and not the plastic...its hard to have that kind of metallic plastic with such fine specks in it...

I bought a cobalt on launch because i was fooled into thinking the platinum chipped a lot easier, and while scratches do show more on platinum, i take such good care of my gba that it was in perfect condition when i traded it in, since i still used the small plastic bag it came in to wrap it up when i put it in my case.

I'm so happy I don't have a "blue" one anymore though...platinum, onyx, and graphite are DEFINITELY the way to go.

Called some gamestops near me...none of them have these yet. I want to trade in my onyx SP for a new graphite. I'm also still trying to decide if I should buy a Micro or not. I like the size but that with the screen that small it may be rough on the eyes. Not to mention I have 2 DSs. How the hell does Nintendo keep getting me to buy these systems?

[quote name='zewone']Got 'em! :rofl: Intresting. I might have to trade in my NES SP for this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too... I was thinking about trading in for a Micro but I have some GB Color games I haven't played (Zelda Oracles)

bread's done
Back