Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedPlague

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
EDIT 6/27/07:

Red Ring of Death.... Greeeeeaaaaattt! Seriously, this is horrible. My 360 lasted a little over a year. Calling MS now. :roll:

The original:

I sent my 360 to Microsoft for repairs after receiving my coffin on Wednesday. Is anyone else feeling the pain of the abscence of their 360?

My problems with my 360 started on Oblivion, but I believed my 360 was only freezing because I was doing something wrong. I didn't understand that I was involved in an abusive co-dependent relationship with the 360. No cache refresh fixed the problem or my damaged psyche.

I thought things had gotten better. I played some Xbox BC games on my 360, and I thought our relationship was good again like back in December when everything was fresh and new. But alas, Lara froze while catupulting crates on the first level. My 360 did me wrong again. I called a support line ready to give up, but they told me to hang on because it could get better. I asked for the coffin anyway, hoping I wouldn't have to use it.

But alas on Tuesday, the final staw was drawn when King Kong and Astropop both froze in the same night. I knew the 360 and I could not go on pretending like everything was fine like it was when we first met. The magic was gone.

The coffin arrived the next day. I asked my wife to send it off while I was out of town so I wouldn't have to watch it go with a strange man in brown shorts to the west coast. During a tearful phone call on Thursday, my wife told me the coffin was gone. It was only fitting that she sent it since she braved the Best Buy crowds on a cold December mornign to get it for me.

So now I sit and wait for my 360 to come back. I remember the old cliche, "If you love something, set it free, and if it doesn't come back, it was never meant to be yours anyway."

Never have those words seemed truer.

Actually....

Since my 360 is in coffin limbo as of yesterday, I bought 3 XBox games today with that buy 2 - get 1 free BB deal. These were all popular games I just didn't have time for in the past (SF Anniversary, KOTOR II, GTA:SA). I think I jumped too soon into the 360 pool because I still have XBox games I want to play, and if I have a 360 hooked up I'm likely going to ignore the XBox. That said - I really don't miss my 360 at all right now.

There's still a ton of stuff to do with the original XBox that I didn't get around to. It's unfortunate MS dumped it so fast, and doesn't fill me with confidence for the 360's longevity when XBox III comes out.

Been playing through GTA:SA in the meanwhile. I'm itching for some Oblivion though.

The damn replacement system was shipped out from their repair center Wednesday, "arrived" here in Indy Friday and it's been sitting at the same spot ever since. 3 Day select my ass. Gonna have to wait until Monday to get it according to tracking.

Just wondering -

Those in coffin phase now, was it via UPS or via DHL? We've heard horror stories from people back around launch that DHL "lost" their 360 while in transit, but my box was sent via UPS. Maybe Microsoft actually did the smart thing here and went with a more reputable company.

Mine always ran at about 95% perfection until yesterday. That morning nothing wrong played for about 30 minutes, then things went downhill. That afternoon when I returned home and booted up the box right as I kicked into Kameo within seconds I recieved a friendly visit from the checkerboard box. After many futile attempts with different games and w/ and w/out the harddrive I give in to the red ring of doom. I'm now awaiting my coffin which will be about as sad a day as one can have.:cry::headache:

I got the dreaded 3/4 Ring of Death yesterday and called Microsoft to order the coffin. It should be here on Monday, and then I'll see my beloved machine taken from me. The CSR for Microsoft was really cordial and helpful, and from most accounts, the replacement cycle has been as painless as possible. Here's hoping we all get our 360s back safe and sound. In the meantime, I'm sucked into Brain Age for DS, so I'll be OK.

Turned on my 360 earlier and got nothing but flickers on the screen. Turned it off and back on again same thing, no ring movement where it rotates green lights around the power button or anything just flickering on the screen and you could here it trying to spin up the game. Tried it again same results so now i'm scared........ Took of the Intercooler tried again got the same thing:bomb:...... Took off HD and it booted up fine! O:) Stuck the HD and Intercooler back on and it was fine I played several games of Madden with no troubles.

I thought I was going to be joining you all and that really sucked..... Hope you get your systems back fast!

Edit: I didn't get a checker board like Adam Morrison described above just like flickering white or off colored blotches on the screen.

wait a sec.... so you had your gf get you a 360 on launch date? Does she game at all, or is she just a really nice gf?

My wife is just really nice.

I am glad you got yuor box back SteveMcQ! Mine is still in transit to Texas, so I hope it comes back next week.

[quote name='MaskedPlague']My wife is just really nice.

I am glad you got yuor box back SteveMcQ! Mine is still in transit to Texas, so I hope it comes back next week.[/quote]Yeah, it seemed like forever until I got mine back, but looking back it wasn't that bad considering I got a new system out of it.

Sunday, April 9th: Got the red lights and called them that day.

Friday, April 14th: Box was received from UPS

Friday, April 14th: Shipped out repair system to Texas

Saturday, April 15th: MS received my broken system

Wednesday, April 19th: Got email stating my system was on its way back. Included was a UPS tracking number

Monday, April 24th: Got a new system back.

The weird thing was it really didn't take that long for MS itself to process my system and get one sent out. It sat with UPS from late Thursday night through the weekend onto today until I got it even though it was marked as 3 Day Select.

^^^Yes, my "3 day select" shipping to Microsoft has now taken 4 days (not counting Sunday) and counting. It's supposed to be there today. I suspect it'll be another week (at least) before I get one back.

For all the trouble they caused, you'd think they'd at least overnight you the initial box and then make the return 3 day or something. It took 4 days to get my box in the first place.

However, it doesn't bug me. I'm 5 hours into KOTOR II (one of the XBox games I picked up that I mentioned above) and I'll probably be playing through until it's finished, so even if the 360 was here on Friday I'd probably leave it alone for a while after my initial tests to make sure it's working.

My box is in Houston. It will arrive tomorrow so I will have mine back probably next week. I just hope it works.

I finished RE4 today. I may pick up another game to play on the Cube tonight.

Well my experience has taken a turn for the worse. I called Microsoft on Saturday, April 22, and they told me my box would be here by today, April 24. However, when I called Microsoft for the claim number, they said the box hasn't even shipped yet! I asked why, but they had no reason. They assured me the box would be here by Thursday, April 27, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone else have this problem?

Well my coffin came today (Friday) at 5 p.m. Threw the dead 360 inside and get it to The UPS Store before closed. Hopefully we'll all have our boxes back soon!

Still no sign of my fixed (or hopefully replaced) console. Arrived at their repair center on the morning of the 25th. I'd certainly hope I'd get something by tomorrow or Monday.

Sent mine out today for a second time. The new replacement one they sent me before broke the other day.

I hope I get compensated somehow, anyone know if I will? I heard of people getting free copies of Kameo and Project Gotham 3 before, as well as free Hard Drives. Anyone know what tree I have to bark up to score any of that stuff?

I have the same situation as JimFoley16. Sent my launch day 360 back to MS about three weeks ago. I received the new unit on Monday, and already it has given me the E74 error twice, and three times now it has powered up yet absolutely nothing shows on the screen. It has also frozen twice (once Oblivion, once Burnout).
Put in another call, and I'm getting another coffin. I'm not all that mad since customer service has been really good, but I just feel like from now on, I'll always be thinking it's going to break at any minute.

Anyone else feel this way?

[quote name='lukenot']I have the same situation as JimFoley16. Sent my launch day 360 back to MS about three weeks ago. I received the new unit on Monday, and already it has given me the E74 error twice, and three times now it has powered up yet absolutely nothing shows on the screen. It has also frozen twice (once Oblivion, once Burnout).
Put in another call, and I'm getting another coffin. I'm not all that mad since customer service has been really good, but I just feel like from now on, I'll always be thinking it's going to break at any minute.

Anyone else feel this way?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I haven't gotten mine back yet. If the same thing happens to me again though, I'll be moving on to the Wiivolution or PS3. I enjoy the 360 but I'm not going to fucking bend over backwards repeatedly because they lack the capability to make good hardware. It's been half a year since launch, we shouldn't still be seeing these problems as often as we have been.

Ive had my 360 for 3 weeks and I treat it like gold. Kept it nice and cool. I rarely played it for over an hour. Last night I played it for a while and today I try to start it up and I get e74. It never froze before or anything, even on oblivion.

My coffin is on the way, and of course its the day live gets all the new doodads.

I hope its not a DHL one since my friend works at a cd shop and whenever things come through DHL alot of the product gets "lost".

I guess it will be happening alot over the next two years of my protection plan, by that time I will get a newer model 360 that doesnt die for no reason.

This is freaking wierd....my xbox is working again out of nowhere...wtf is this all about? Not that im complaining but thats very strange to me.

I posted on your other message, but the E74 error message is usually specific to the av cable. it can sometimes be remedied by cleaning the metal connection on the cord and plugging it back in.

I had this happen to me on my second 360 last week. I researched the net, and that's how I found the fix. Unfortunately, I've also had game lock on me twice, and I've had the unit power up with nothing displaying on my set.
I'm up to 360 #3, but I really hope that helps your situation.

I'm waiting on coffin #2, but I've been able to get this one to work, it's just taken some effort.

Billbofet

[quote name='lukenot']I posted on your other message, but the E74 error message is usually specific to the av cable. it can sometimes be remedied by cleaning the metal connection on the cord and plugging it back in.

I had this happen to me on my second 360 last week. I researched the net, and that's how I found the fix. Unfortunately, I've also had game lock on me twice, and I've had the unit power up with nothing displaying on my set.
I'm up to 360 #3, but I really hope that helps your situation.

I'm waiting on coffin #2, but I've been able to get this one to work, it's just taken some effort.

Billbofet[/QUOTE]

Im going to call cust support and explain whats been going on and see if I could just hang onto the box in case it decides to die again. Im all paranoid now... I want to go to bed, but what if its busted again tommorow? Thanks for the input btw. My cable looks to be pretty clean though.

My Xbox 360 finally arrived late today. It's a different one than I sent. I think its new rather than refurbished, and the drive is much more quiet than my other 360. I ran Oblivion for 3 hours with no problems. It's crazy how that worked out.

It took about two weeks to get my 360 back after sending the coffin. My only gripe is that the faceplate on my new one is cracked. They are sending me a new one, but I am worried about the condition of the innards of my new 360.

Thanks for the support, everyone!

Box is dead again....picking it up and shaking it sometimes fixes the problem....then it will die the next time i try it.

[quote name='danny-o']Box is dead again....picking it up and shaking it sometimes fixes the problem....then it will die the next time i try it.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm a prick, but that cracked me up. Oh, how far technology has come.

Well mine has been "out for delivery" on a UPS truck in McAllen, TX. all day today. Hopefully it will land on some tech's desk at MS today, and I'll get a different one shipped to me soon. Does anyone have any information regarding how long it takes them to ship a new one out once they've received the dead one? Thanks!

On the phone waiting to talk to someone at MS right now. Let's see what happens. It's now been more than a week since they received the system.

Been on hold for like 3 minutes already. What the hell? They're usually fast.

5 minutes now. Been on hold so long their crappy hold music has moved on to the next track. Nintendo used to play game music from Mario 3 (later Mario 4) while on hold, what ever happened to companies doing that? They must know I'm an annoyed caller.

Tick tock, tick tock.

God damn, they should give me a free game for waiting on hold this long.

Almost 10 minutes. If I had started Tomb Raider Legend when I called, I'd be almost through it by now.

Yeah! This jazzy "urban" song they went to for their hold music is making me tap my feet. And hate Microsoft.

Won't it be great if they haven't sent it out yet and I wind up missing some/all of E3 week? Yep, that would be spectacular.

12 minutes. I'm tempted to hang up and call back, but then I'd just go to the back of their fictional "line."

One time in third grade I squatted down to pick something up and my shorts ripped right up the ass. I walked around the rest of the day with my back to the wall (or my jacket tied around my waist at recess). And no one knew except me.

WHY IS THIS TAKING SO LONG? "Small percentage" of people having problems with their console MY ASS.

I forgot what I was calling for a minute. I think I'm falling asleep.

Now THIS music sounds like something you'd hear during a weak make-out session on Skinemax...WAIT IT'S RINGING

Ok, it should be here "tomorrow or Friday." Shipped on the 29th...four full days after they got the console. Oh, and she put me on hold for another 3 minutes during the call, but I expected that.

I hope this post was as agonizing for me as it was for you.

question. Do I have to have this picked up, or can I just go to a UPS store? And I can just tell them that the reciev er is handling all charges and they wont gimme any shit?

[quote name='danny-o']question. Do I have to have this picked up, or can I just go to a UPS store? And I can just tell them that the reciev er is handling all charges and they wont gimme any shit?[/QUOTE]

They gave me shit, but other people have had no problems with charges for shipping it back to them. I dropped it at a UPS store but I'd definitely try your luck with getting MS to pick it up from your house.

[quote name='KaneRobot']They gave me shit, but other people have had no problems with charges for shipping it back to them. I dropped it at a UPS store but I'd definitely try your luck with getting MS to pick it up from your house.[/quote]You mean UPS will pick it up from his house. Yeah, you can just drop it off at a UPS Store. That's what I did and there were no problems. Just remember to get the receipt w/ the tracking number so you can track it. If you look at the label they sent you it says somewhere "P/P" which is Pre-paid shipping.

I am currently on my second retail Xbox 360 (6th overall), the first one i bought on the first week of April died after about 2 weeks, so I took it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another one. I went home and booted it up and got an error, apparently the hard drive is defective because I can play it without the hard drive. So I called MS and they shipped me a "new" hard drive, it was all scratched up and clearly not new..............so I thought everything was good right?

Wrong. now my ethernet cable is defective, so I am just using the ethernet cable I used for the original X-Box and its fine, and it appears my headset is defective also, the mute button does not work and its all staticy! So I guess im going to have to call MS and get two more replacements! ahahahhahah this is hilarious! I have a feeling this 360 will be defective also, at least the controller works........................

Oh and by the way Microsoft knew that these problems existed before they released it, they didn't care they just wanted to be first to the market and it shows........................

Anybody else having problems with there ethernet cable or headset?

Hey PirateChaun

When MS shipped you a new hard drive, did you have to send your old one to them first? Or did they send you the new one before you sent back the old one? I ask this because I need to send back my hard drive, but don’t want to loose all of my saves.

Called M$ 4/23, received coffin 4/27, sent 360 back 4/28, received by M$ 5/3, due back 5/9, just in time for E3!

How do I check the build date on my console?

Called M$ today. They received my coffin on 05.04 and shipped out the replacement today (05.08). Said I should get it on Wednesday, 05.10. Here's hoping it's a late-build model!

I dropped my 360 off at a ups store on friday may 5th. its 3-day shipping but tracking still shows it as "Billing Information Received". The guy seemed to know what I was shipping at the time too so now Im a little worried. Is the ups tracking lazy like the usps?

[quote name='danny-o']I dropped my 360 off at a ups store on friday may 5th. its 3-day shipping but tracking still shows it as "Billing Information Received". The guy seemed to know what I was shipping at the time too so now Im a little worried. Is the ups tracking lazy like the usps?[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd give it another day - maybe they got slowed-up over the weekend or something - but then start making calls tomorrow if it's still at the same status.

[quote name='Elrod']Hey PirateChaun

When MS shipped you a new hard drive, did you have to send your old one to them first? Or did they send you the new one before you sent back the old one? I ask this because I need to send back my hard drive, but don’t want to loose all of my saves.[/quote]

Yeah Microsoft sent me a hard drive and I am supposed to send the defective one back to MS. Yeah I lost all of my saves, didn't want to waste money on a memory card...................

[quote name='KaneRobot']Interesting. I'd give it another day - maybe they got slowed-up over the weekend or something - but then start making calls tomorrow if it's still at the same status.[/QUOTE]

It just went out today. So 3-day shipping is now scheduled to arrive almost a week later. Well at least its on the move.

Well the UPS tracking for the 360 M$ sent back to me is now in that "Billing Information Received" rut. They told me it would be here Wednesday, but the tracking isn't even reflecting that UPS actually has the box in possession. ::sigh::

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back