Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth preview

Ender

CAGiversary!
Feedback
178 (100%)
Gamespot just posted their preview of the English version of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. The game is slated for a release date of 7/18/06, and should be a reprieve for all of us gamers that could never get our hands on a copy of the PS1 original.

The preview can be found here: http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/valkyrieprofilelenneth/news.html?sid=6153151

There are also some gameplay videos that you can watch on that page. I've never actually seen the game in action, so it was pretty awesome to me. I'm very excited about this title, and have already pre-ordered it from estarland.com with some credit I had sitting around. Should be awesome! Anyone else been looking forward to this?

You mean preview, don't you, since you just said review in your post.;)

Anyway, pretty good preview. I'm definitey interested, although I still got it on PS1.

I remember some people who had the import noticed slowdown and stretched portraits... this preview dosen't touch on that so maybe that's the "minor localization touchups"?

This one sounds awesome, I think it's time to dump VP for the PS 1 pretty soon. Is anyone else going to keep the original version and also get this one? I mean, if this version of Valkyrie Profile is perfect and in some ways better then the original, I have no reason to keep the playstation version, and selling it would get me the money for Tales of Eternia as well ;)

Wow, the PSP cover art looks horrible too for VP.

Are most people planning to dump their PS1 copy? I was finally able to find one this past may, but should I just sell it and get the psp version. I do like to play it on TVs but doesn't this version add stuff?

[quote name='pinoy530']Are most people planning to dump their PS1 copy? I was finally able to find one this past may, but should I just sell it and get the psp version. I do like to play it on TVs but doesn't this version add stuff?[/QUOTE]

I'm probably dumping mine... how often do you play RPG's that it would matter having two copies? Most people will play it once on PSP and never touch the playstation version or the PSP game again, even though they "like to play it on the television", since most people play through RPG's only once.

Wasn't there a guide planned for this game? I swore Prima had one planned but it looks like it got cancelled.

If you're looking to cash in on your PS1 copy of the game, don't waste any time. I'd expect the wider avaialbility of the PSP version to knock down the value on the old version a good bit.

It'll still be rare as a US PS1 game but not rare as a title, which counts for a good chuink of the value. If Panzer Dragoon Saga got a new release on a mainstream platform it would surely devalue the Saturn version since it would solely be sought as a colelctible rather than to play.

I'm not in a big hurry to get the PSP version unless it turns up for $15 or less. I had the PS1 version for a while and after about 4 hours of play found it was perhaps wildly overrated due to its rarity. But at least I was able to sell at a good profit.

[quote name='epobirs']If you're looking to cash in on your PS1 copy of the game, don't waste any time. I'd expect the wider avaialbility of the PSP version to knock down the value on the old version a good bit.

It'll still be rare as a US PS1 game but not rare as a title, which counts for a good chuink of the value. If Panzer Dragoon Saga got a new release on a mainstream platform it would surely devalue the Saturn version since it would solely be sought as a colelctible rather than to play.

I'm not in a big hurry to get the PSP version unless it turns up for $15 or less. I had the PS1 version for a while and after about 4 hours of play found it was perhaps wildly overrated due to its rarity. But at least I was able to sell at a good profit.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how true this is... Tales of Eternia for PSP didn't knock down Tales of Destiny 2's (playstation US) price, but maybe because it's a European import so most people wouldn't know about it? If anything, ToD 2 has just gone up in price.

I think the exact opposite my happen. What happens when a Silent Hill movie comes out? All previous games except 4 skyrocketed.

If 2 is a good standalone game, then it may temporarily increase the
public attention to the original, spawning new collectors or awakening old ones. Same goes for the PSP port.

Or if you want a better example, FF4 on the GBA did not seem to have an adverse affect on the original cartridge of FF2. The series along with Chrono Trigger seems to have whethered the PS1 compilations as well.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think the exact opposite my happen. What happens when a Silent Hill movie comes out? All previous games except 4 skyrocketed.

public attention to the original, spawning new collectors or awakening old ones. Same goes for the PSP port.

Or if you want a better example, FF4 on the GBA did not seem to have an adverse affect on the original cartridge of FF2. The series along with Chrono Trigger seems to have whethered the PS1 compilations as well.[/QUOTE]

FF 4 and 6 used to go for about $80 - $100 complete, this dosen't happen anymore since the comps... you can get about $50 per game now, even less if they are cart only. Shit, cart only ones are only worth about $15 now, for FF 2.

Chrono Trigger weathered the storm because the playstation port has load times and wasn't as good... if Square put out a perfect port for say, the GBA, those SNES prices would drop too.

Why would VP for the PS One go up? People would have a superior version on PSP, there is no reason to track down the Playstation one version if Square nails this game right the first time. Expect this game to fall under $100 once the PSP comes out and if the reviews are great.

I have VP and ToD2 for ps1

I have tales of eternia for psp and will prob get VP

but do i sell my 2 ps1 rpgs? I actually enjoy playing on psp better for some reason.

[quote name='Weedy649']I have VP and ToD2 for ps1

I have tales of eternia for psp and will prob get VP

but do i sell my 2 ps1 rpgs? I actually enjoy playing on psp better for some reason.[/QUOTE]I'm the same way too. I really like Tales of Eternia (have PS1 version), but haven't played it too much. Many PSP games I own have done VERY well, so I've considered selling one (or both) of my PS1 copies of Tales of Eternia, then importing it from Europe. Also, I never beat VP for PS1, but I'm thinking I'll beat the PSP version.

[quote name='Samurai T']I'm the same way too. I really like Tales of Eternia (have PS1 version), but haven't played it too much. Many PSP games I own have done VERY well, so I've considered selling one (or both) of my PS1 copies of Tales of Eternia, then importing it from Europe. Also, I never beat VP for PS1, but I'm thinking I'll beat the PSP version.[/QUOTE]

Like I said earlier, just do it. Most people play through an RPG once, and that's it for awhile. You'll play through VP for the PSP, beat it, and chances are you'll never touch VP for the PS One. You might as well sell it soon while it's hot.

Same with Tales of Eternia... you'll play it once on PSP, beat it, probably not ever play the PS One versions.

Selling VP for PS One gets you enough cash to buy VP, import Tales of Eternia, and hell, probably import Breath of Fire 3 as well.

[quote name='Roufuss']Like I said earlier, just do it. Most people play through an RPG once, and that's it for awhile. You'll play through VP for the PSP, beat it, and chances are you'll never touch VP for the PS One. You might as well sell it soon while it's hot.

Same with Tales of Eternia... you'll play it once on PSP, beat it, probably not ever play the PS One versions.

Selling VP for PS One gets you enough cash to buy VP, import Tales of Eternia, and hell, probably import Breath of Fire 3 as well.[/quote]

Is there a BoF3 import in English?

[quote name='Chacrana']btw, how much does the game actually retail for? In pounds.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I need to know where you got Tales of Eternia from so I can think about placing an order =X

[quote name='Roufuss']I don't know, but I need to know where you got Tales of Eternia from so I can think about placing an order =X[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I got my dad to pick it up while he was on business in Europe (awesome convenience.) NCSX.com has it though.

[quote name='Roufuss']Like I said earlier, just do it. Most people play through an RPG once, and that's it for awhile. You'll play through VP for the PSP, beat it, and chances are you'll never touch VP for the PS One. You might as well sell it soon while it's hot.

Selling VP for PS One gets you enough cash to buy VP, import Tales of Eternia, and hell, probably import Breath of Fire 3 as well.[/QUOTE]Good idea. :)

Although, after I beat an RPG, I normally do go back and play it (around 80% of the time). However, if I were to beat the PSP versions, I'd go back and play them, while never touching my PS1 version.

question about this game since it was developed by Tri-Ace...

I hated Star Ocean: Till The End of Time
I hated Radiata Stories

Should I get this game for PSP? I've almost given up on Tri-Ace.

[quote name='asianxcore']question about this game since it was developed by Tri-Ace...

I hated Radiata Stories

Should I get this game for PSP? I've almost given up on Tri-Ace.[/QUOTE]

Well, VP was made long before those two games so yea, I'd give it a shot, tons of rabid fans can't be wrong ;)

In other news, people are getting $140 - $150 for their PS One copies, so I think mine is going up ASAP.

I have been checking out all the vids and screens on this game and since I missed the PS1 version I really cant wait for this game. I am trying to hurry up and finnish TOE before this releases.

IGN has a new preview up... this keeps looking better and better:

Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth improves upon the game with a new widescreen presentation to take advantage of the PSP screen, as well as a new audio transfer. There's also brand new cinematics that have been included in Lenneth that highlight special or key moments of the plot, as well as reveal connections to the upcoming Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. As you unlock these new cutscenes, they'll be available in a movie gallery that is accessible from the main menu page. We've been impressed by the transfer of the original title to the PSP so far, and we're looking forward to getting farther into the story to see what the connections are between the original and the anticipated PS2 game before the PSP title hits shelves next month.

In the Japanese version the widescreen is the stretch to fit kind, not the redo graphics to fit kind. Somehow I dont see Square-Enix will be fixing that.

Also the game is still censor, and will keep the same translation. However there will be new voice actors which can be a good or bad thing.

[quote name='62t']In the Japanese version the widescreen is the stretch to fit kind, not the redo graphics to fit kind. Somehow I dont see Square-Enix will be fixing that.

Also the game is still censor, and will keep the same translation. However there will be new voice actors which can be a good or bad thing.[/QUOTE]

I thought that the translation was supposed to be fixed though? At least, that's what I got out of Gamespot's preview.

[quote name='asianxcore']question about this game since it was developed by Tri-Ace...

I hated Radiata Stories

Should I get this game for PSP? I've almost given up on Tri-Ace.[/QUOTE]

it's like VP is made by a whole different company (same with VP:Silmeria.) I couldn't believe how wack SO and RS were. VP is a hell of a lot of fun and very deep as well.

9 more days.

[quote name='Apossum']it's like VP is made by a whole different company (same with VP:Silmeria.) I couldn't believe how wack SO and RS were. VP is a hell of a lot of fun and very deep as well.

9 more days.[/QUOTE]

You know, I was just going to save $5 and get it at Best Buy, but they won't get it in until the 21st, and then I found out that this little joy came back:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=831955

It disappeared off their website and I couldn't find any info on it, but apparently now it's back, and ships a few days later than the game... I'll just keep my receipt and get an extra 20% off that guide since that is a guide I will NOT wait until it pennies out.

[quote name='Roufuss']You know, I was just going to save $5 and get it at Best Buy, but they won't get it in until the 21st, and then I found out that this little joy came back:

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=831955

It disappeared off their website and I couldn't find any info on it, but apparently now it's back, and ships a few days later than the game... I'll just keep my receipt and get an extra 20% off that guide since that is a guide I will NOT wait until it pennies out.[/quote]

Oh wow, I am all over that!

I'm guessing that EB will carry it as well? I prefer the EB around here to the GS; less dick-headed employees!

wish it was made by doublejump, but whatever. beats the hell out of a $100 VP guide on ebay :)

[quote name='Apossum']wish it was made by doublejump, but whatever. beats the hell out of a $100 VP guide on ebay :)[/QUOTE]

Doublejump I guess is too busy with their magazine or whatever.

They are doing the Disgaea 2 guide, though. Brady makes some fantastic guides these days so I'm glad its them who is putting it out.

[quote name='Roufuss']In other news, people are getting $140 - $150 for their PS One copies, so I think mine is going up ASAP.[/QUOTE]I noticed that myself too. I should ebay my copy too, but I'll probably won't do it.:(

I hated Radiata Stories

Should I get this game for PSP? I've almost given up on Tri-Ace.[/QUOTE]The battle system and gameplay is very different from those two. Although for me, I absolutely loved both those two games (especially SO3). Although, I personally don't like VP as much as those two.

[quote name='Samurai T']I noticed that myself too. I should ebay my copy too, but I'll probably won't do it.:(
[/QUOTE]

I got $132 for mine after shipping... not only did it pay off VP: Lenneth, it also bought me Breath of Fire 3 and Tales of Eternia.

Just seems pointless to keep the original around since I'll play the PSP one to completion and the fact it now ties into VP 2.

It's nice to know that they are releasing a guide for the psp version. I might just pick that up instead of trying to get the ps one guide. Atleast, I managed to get the VP OST (not the re-release for Lenneth).

Too be honest, I'm not selling my psone version of VP. I'm not going to be getting a psp anytime soon.

Well to be hoest the new VP looks no diffrent then any style of gameplay I have seen from Tri-Ace/Wolfteam.

In fact the game already looks dull but yet again this is Tri-Ace.
Speaking of which Star Ocean is the follow up to Tales Of PHantasia.
Every other Tales series is just Namco trying to do what Tri-Ace did.
I don't really get why SO3 sucks but then again all recent follow up RPG games from the PSX days stinks or curplunk.

As of right now I am playing my SO: Blue Sphere game and it' marvelous compared to it's predissesor on the PSX, I mean SO2 is so annoying compared to it's SNES mother. What really makes the SO2 series fun is the Anime and the comics apart from the action that is if you enjoy the replay value.

My advice is not to sell your VP copies seeing how the games gain in value when gere RPG is on the rise again or that if it will be on the rise again.

Again VP on the PSP looks very bare boned.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think the exact opposite my happen. What happens when a Silent Hill movie comes out? All previous games except 4 skyrocketed.

Or if you want a better example, FF4 on the GBA did not seem to have an adverse affect on the original cartridge of FF2. The series along with Chrono Trigger seems to have whethered the PS1 compilations as well.[/QUOTE]

Not the same situation. The movie increases interest in the series but it does not increase supply of the earlier games.

If there had been a remake of the first game to a current platform and renewed supplies of the second entry on PS2 and Xbox, then that would be a better test.

The real question is whether people were buying the games just to collect or also to play. If I'd never played FFIV I'd be perfectly happy to play the GBA version and ignore the pricey SNES edition.

Consider also that the SNES version started at a high price new and generally stayed that way. It was always a harder to get SNES title because Square didn't expect to do much business in the US and that became a self-fulfilling prophecy. So much so they skipped a US SNES release for FFV.

It follows that a lot of games that are in very poor supply can remain high due to collectors while the revivals and remakes satisfy those who just want to play.

Things can change after more people have access to a game. I got Valkyrie Profile for a fairly low price of $36. It was the most I'd paid for a single game in nearly a decade. After trying to get interested in for several hours I found myself wondering what all the fuss had been about.

Another example is Rhapsody. This is a game that became a collector's item soley due to the developer's later work. Rhapsody itself is mediocre at best. If it were not for Disgaia nobody would be paying $100 for a game I found for $10 at Wal-mart. But that is what happened with my copy.

if anything, the price for VP has gone up. it was $100 earlier this year, now it's hitting 125-150, which is just plain ridiculous. like you epobirs, I paid more for it (in pure cash with no store credit) than any other game in recent memory, at $65 for a copy with damaged inserts. i enjoyed it and am happy to play it again with redone cutscenes, va and smoother graphics.

Another example is Rhapsody. This is a game that became a collector's item soley due to the developer's later work.

i can't believe how crazy people got over that game when it was first reprinted. it's an sprg built for pre-teen girls...almost literally. i know collectors are crazy but the rhapsody rerelease really drove that point home to me :lol:

Saw the coverart at Gamespot... I actually really, really like it.

931113_75084_front.jpg

[quote name='Chacrana']Saw the coverart at Gamespot... I actually really, really like it.

931113_75084_front.jpg
[/quote]

That is fucking beautiful! I love it.

WTF
(yes, this is from VP: Lenneth)
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=i6UdwyHG2L8&search=Valkyrie%20Profile%20psp[/media]

that cover's pretty good. it's got more style than most covers.

[quote name='Chacrana']Saw the coverart at Gamespot... I actually really, really like it.

931113_75084_front.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That`s some crazy emo right there.

[quote name='musicnoteless']1. Tekken: Dark Ressurection
2. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth

Give me one more good reason to buy a PSP and I'll give in....that video was awesome.[/QUOTE]

Metal Gear Portable Ops, Power Stone Collection, Capcom Puzzle Collection (with puzzle fighter), SFA3 Max, Metal Gear Digital Comic, Silent Hill Remake, Lumines, Lumines 2, Gitaroo Man Live, Final Fantasy Crisis Core

these are a few of the games I'm looking forward to :)

bread's done
Back