The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's Anime/Manga Topic

karsh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
parapara.gif

In honor of Haruhi's last episode that came out today.

Definitely an awesome ending to Haruhi. Probably one of the first times an anime ended exactly how I wanted and thought it should. I guess I'll wait for some more people to see it now before I talk some more.

The ending was satisfying to me and it leaves room for a second season of shenanigans if they they see fit to do so.

Thatnks for the MUGEN link Jaykrue. I'll definitely check it out.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The ending was satisfying to me and it leaves room for a second season of shenanigans if they they see fit to do so.

Thatnks for the MUGEN link Jaykrue. I'll definitely check it out.[/quote]

[quote name='karsh']Definitely an awesome ending to Haruhi. Probably one of the first times an anime ended exactly how I wanted and thought it should. I guess I'll wait for some more people to see it now before I talk some more.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm actually gonna go back & watch the series in chronological order to see how different it will be to react to. I'm fairly sure that this will get a 2nd season. It seems as all the recent series I've been interested in have all been renewed: Full Metal Panic, Honey & Clover (1st episode of season 2 just came out today), & School Rumble. So I have no doubt that it will be the same for this. It also helps that there's already source material for Haruhi to draw from.

[quote name='jaykrue']Yeah, I'm actually gonna go back & watch the series in chronological order to see how different it will be to react to. [/quote]

I was planning on doing the same.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I was planning on doing the same.[/quote]

Same here, except I'm also having a friend watch it during that, and it's gonna be his first time watching it. I wanna see if he gets a different opinion watching it in chronological order instead of airing order. The only thing is I'm not too sure chronological 14 works as well as an ending as this one did. It just seems like it kills the whole build up of the show to
actually SEE Haruhi and Kyon kiss as the 6th episode seen as opposed to it being the last episode
. So who knows if I'll do it that way with him.

I'm halfway watch through the series in chronological order (after a mini marathon midnight run) but couldn't finish it since I was tired from helping my sister move into her new apartment. Anyway, from what I've seen so far, it seems like the anime is a whole other series. The pacing is different as well as how you see it as a storyline. Watching Suzumiya the 1st time around as it was shown, the eps. 14 seems a fitting conclusion to a confusing but funny storyline. You seemingly accept by the end of the series that Suzumiya is conclusively
a god
. Also, eps. 13 was boring but told a bit more of the story. Seeing it chronologically, however, her 'condition' is established early and rather shows you how the group deals with the consequences of her condition. I'll finish the series (most likely in the next 2 days) and see if my impression is still the same.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, 1st episode of the japanese 'interpretation' of the Powerpuff Girls is out. I'm not expecting much but I've always like Gennady's characters.

EDIT2: Ippatu Kikimusume is one bizarre anime. It's not as high as FLCL but it's up there. :rofl:

It's interesting. I've been looking through what the various chapters in the books for Haruhi were, and it looks like a only the episodes titled "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (insert number)" are from the first book. The rest of the episodes actually come from all different parts of the other books. Like Mysterique Sign, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lone Island Syndrome all come from the same book (three). And Day of Sagittarius comes from the fifth book.

Just finished watching Suzumiya in chronological order and I have to say my earlier impressions are still the same. It becomes a different anime in perception & timing. Eps. 13 works better here storywise and has a much deeper impact. It isn't however totally beneficial. Episode 9 (14 chronologically) I think suffers as a result of chronological viewing. It's too benign & somber an ending for what seeming to be a kinetic show. I suppose it would fitting to say it was a bit melancolic. This is probably the only way I can think of it fitting in the overall (chronological) storyline. Overall, I still preferred the 'as aired' viewing as the ending has a deeper impact to me.

So I just watched Bleach 87. Not a bad episode, though there was one thing that thoroughly confused me.

How the hell did Ishida form a bow and an arrow, even though it was only for a couple seconds? He's not suppoed to have any Quincy power left in him. I'm hoping if he does somehow gain his powers back this filler arc, he promptly loses them again before it's over. His whole thing with his dad in the actual arc was rather cool.

On another note involving this episode, the new ending is pretty cool. The song is pretty good, though the animation is just kinda meh.

[quote name='jaykrue']EDIT: Forgot to mention, 1st episode of the japanese 'interpretation' of the Powerpuff Girls is out. I'm not expecting much but I've always like Gennady's characters.

EDIT2: Ippatu Kikimusume is one bizarre anime. It's not as high as FLCL but it's up there. :rofl:[/quote]

You have great taste in anime IMO so I'll check it out.

I'll check out PPG too.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']You have great taste in anime IMO so I'll check it out.

I'll check out PPG too.[/quote]

I'll warn you straight off the bat that it's an old anime, the animation is horrible, the subbing is so-so & there's nudity. But each episode has gobs of stupid that you can't help but laugh. :lol: PPG, OTOH, cannot be recommended enough. :bouncy:

Wow, how did Pani Poni Dash manage to get licensed? (ADV) Don't get me wrong, it's a good show, I just don't see how it would be very popular here with all the casual anime fans. Plus there're so many cultural references that they'd have to change if they wanted a regular tv audience to get it.

Something interesting someone pointed out to me in Haruhi.

From episode 14 (airing order)

10aw.jpg

24in.jpg

From Day of Sagittarius, which was chronologically after the previously mentioned episode.

033ig.jpg

Makes me wanna watch it in chronological order now to see if I find anything else like this.

[quote name='karsh']Something interesting someone pointed out to me in Haruhi.

From episode 14 (airing order)

10aw.jpg

24in.jpg

From Day of Sagittarius, which was chronologically after the previously mentioned episode.

033ig.jpg

Makes me wanna watch it in chronological order now to see if I find anything else like this.[/quote]

For me, it was the Nagato's glasses. Seeing it in order you see the natural progression of when Kyon makes the comment about it. Watching it as aired however, I never noticed that she stopped wearing it until that particular episode. Also, the heightened attraction between Kyon & Mikuru. You know it's there but seeing it chronologically, it seems more intense as opposed to as-aired where it seems more of a passing flirtation. Another thing I noticed is the absence of Asakura. The impact of her disappearance matters more in chronological order. Oh, I forgot, the as-aired first episode basically reveals the characters' traits:

Nagato - magic-wielding alien
Mikuru - time traveler
Koizumi - esper

I'm still curious about the cat though. They never explained who/what it is other than the name
Shamisen.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Wow, how did Pani Poni Dash manage to get licensed? (ADV) Don't get me wrong, it's a good show, I just don't see how it would be very popular here with all the casual anime fans. Plus there're so many cultural references that they'd have to change if they wanted a regular tv audience to get it.[/quote]

Agreed. I'd say I paused each episode at least 3 times to read the references. It would naturally have to be raped in order for it to be seen by US audiences. :roll: There is a possible way out though. I'm hoping that it will be a direct-to-dvd release and hopefully the translators will be a bit lenient in their translation.

[quote name='jaykrue']For me, it was the Nagato's glasses. Seeing it in order you see the natural progression of when Kyon makes the comment about it. Watching it as aired however, I never noticed that she stopped wearing it until that particular episode. Also, the heightened attraction between Kyon & Mikuru. You know it's there but seeing it chronologically, it seems more intense as opposed to as-aired where it seems more of a passing flirtation. Another thing I noticed is the absence of Asakura. The impact of her disappearance matters more in chronological order. Oh, I forgot, the as-aired first episode basically reveals the characters' traits:

Nagato - magic-wielding alien
Mikuru - time traveler
Koizumi - esper

I'm still curious about the cat though. They never explained who/what it is other than the name
Shamisen.
[/quote]

Well, if one crazy ass theory I read is true in anyway, it'd really make the Mikuru/Kyon thing really awkward.

Some people think that Mikuru is really Kyon's sister from the future. It does explain why Kyon's sister and Mikuru got along so well, and why Kyon feels there's some kind of closeness with Mikuru. Plus they both acted very similar

But yeah, I didn't realize Nagato lost her glasses till after that episode. Which is another thing just making me want to watch it again in chronological order. But I feel I should watch something new first. I'm considering watching Utawaremon or whatever it's called. I have the first episode, and it definitely seems interesting.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']I am not sure if this effects anyone here, but Gantz 236 is out and its great[/quote]

Thanks, almost forgot about it.

Ooh "next time a major revelation and huge fight".

Maybe we find out why exactly vampires are going against the Gantz'ers.

[quote name='karsh']Well, if one crazy ass theory I read is true in anyway, it'd really make the Mikuru/Kyon thing really awkward.

Some people think that Mikuru is really Kyon's sister from the future. It does explain why Kyon's sister and Mikuru got along so well, and why Kyon feels there's some kind of closeness with Mikuru. Plus they both acted very similar
[/quote]
I think you can put that theory to bed real quick. IF it was true, then
Kyon's sister should have a star-shaped mole on her chest. And I'm sure, being a perky kid sister, she has run around shirtless before (probably fighting mom because she doesn't wanna take a bath) so it wouldn't be too far off for Kyon to notice something as unique as a star-shaped mole. Even if the mole started to appear later in life, I would think that Kyon would, at the very least, recognize some familiarity w/ Mikuru's face (possibly think she's a distant relative, like a cousin).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Going to check out the title anime now after hearing so much about it.[/quote]

Please do. The animation is top notch & the storyline is hilarious. Word of warning, don't be fooled by the 1st episode as it's intentionally made to look like a movie w/ terrible production values.

[quote name='jaykrue']I think you can put that theory to bed real quick. IF it was true, then
Kyon's sister should have a star-shaped mole on her chest. And I'm sure, being a perky kid sister, she has run around shirtless before (probably fighting mom because she doesn't wanna take a bath) so it wouldn't be too far off for Kyon to notice something as unique as a star-shaped mole. Even if the mole started to appear later in life, I would think that Kyon would, at the very least, recognize some familiarity w/ Mikuru's face (possibly think she's a distant relative, like a cousin).

Please do. The animation is top notch & the storyline is hilarious. Word of warning, don't be fooled by the 1st episode as it's intentionally made to look like a movie w/ terrible production values.[/quote]

Ehhhh...
Kyon saw Mikuru's breasts a lot but didn't notice the star-shaped mole until he was told so by older Mikuru

[quote name='karsh']Ehhhh...
Kyon saw Mikuru's breasts a lot but didn't notice the star-shaped mole until he was told so by older Mikuru
[/quote]

That's true for
Mikuru but not for Kyon's sister. If his sister did have it, it wouldn't be difficult for Kyon to put 2 and 2 together especially considering at this point he accepts the existence of aliens, time travelers, & espers.

[quote name='jaykrue']That's true for
Mikuru but not for Kyon's sister. If his sister did have it, it wouldn't be difficult for Kyon to put 2 and 2 together especially considering at this point he accepts the existence of aliens, time travelers, & espers.
[/quote]

Maybe Kyon's never actually, you know, LOOKED at his sister's chest. Just a thought there.

[quote name='jaykrue']I'll warn you straight off the bat that it's an old anime, the animation is horrible, the subbing is so-so & there's nudity. But each episode has gobs of stupid that you can't help but laugh. :lol: PPG, OTOH, cannot be recommended enough. :bouncy:[/quote]

I love older anime (Lupin, A-Ko), poor animation doesn't bother me (unless it is produced by Williams Street), I'm not an authority of great subbing anyway (since I watch dubs when possible), and I don't fear nudity. :lol:

I already watched the PPG episode and it is exactly what I thought an anime version could and should be like. Other than the seemingly long transformation sequences, I was as entertained by PPG as a grown man could be.

A heads up for all you people who read One Piece (whom I assume is no one, since no one seems to care when I post >_>).

All of CP9 has been defeated sans Spandam and Lucci.

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']A heads up for all you people who read One Piece (whom I assume is no one, since no one seems to care when I post >_>).

All of CP9 has been defeated sans Spandam and Lucci.
[/QUOTE]That was done last week, making this the shortest group battles ever.

[quote name='Z-Saber']This thread is painfully hard to follow if you're unfamiliar with all of these animes.[/quote]

For the longest time I would only talk about anime I saw on DVD or TV and usually the responses were minimal. It definitely help to get on the ground floor with the newer shows that are coming out. However, this thread in about any and all anime so please fell free to talk about others. Even if it is a show or manga no one has heard of, it may generate interest. That is how I came to watch several shows I hadn't even considered. :bouncy:

Huh. Didn't know it was a general anime/manga thread, though I guess that sort of makes sense from the content and the title. Maybe that's why I was confused?

Anyway, the only thing I've watched recently is Bobobo on Cartoon Network. Essentially, it reminds me of the randomness of Animaniacs and Freakazoid combined and set in an anime. I heard it was cancelled though, so even if it is succesful here (and I doubt that), it will eventually just stop at some point.

I wouldnt watch it at all if the Phoenix Wright spoof hadnt caught my attention.

I've seen little animated gifs of the main character forever, and I always thought it was that dancing girl in the 'Yogurting' mmo videos.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']For the longest time I would only talk about anime I saw on DVD or TV and usually the responses were minimal. It definitely help to get on the ground floor with the newer shows that are coming out. However, this thread in about any and all anime so please fell free to talk about others. Even if it is a show or manga no one has heard of, it may generate interest. That is how I came to watch several shows I hadn't even considered. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

its true, I often find myself talking about Anime/Manga no one watches/cares about and its like one hand clapping, but I still post about it

[quote name='Z-Saber']Huh. Didn't know it was a general anime/manga thread, though I guess that sort of makes sense from the content and the title. Maybe that's why I was confused?

Anyway, the only thing I've watched recently is Bobobo on Cartoon Network. Essentially, it reminds me of the randomness of Animaniacs and Freakazoid combined and set in an anime. I heard it was cancelled though, so even if it is succesful here (and I doubt that), it will eventually just stop at some point.[/quote]

Yeah, the topic title was a suggestion of mine. It's like Haruhi Suzumiya is the topic mascot. Similiar to the way the wreslting threads are done. They usually say something like "Stone Cold's werstling topic".

Bobobo is one of the weirder shows i have seen, animated or otherwise. I don't know what is going on other than the mutant noisehair, lol.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']its true, I often find myself talking about Anime/Manga no one watches/cares about and its like one hand clapping, but I still post about it[/quote]

Yeah. I guess that is the bad thing about talking about licensed shows. Unless someone waits for sales then less people are going to know about shows like Miami Guns, Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran, Here is Greenwood....

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']its true, I often find myself talking about Anime/Manga no one watches/cares about and its like one hand clapping, but I still post about it[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's a majority of my posts in the anime threads, as well. :lol:

It seems Anime Keep has a new project, Night Head Genesis which it sucks that there's literally no info on it other than its genre, which doesn't appeal to me, but I thought someone might be interested in it. The interesting thing is that the voice actor behind Gaara (Naruto for all of 2 people that don't know) is in it. AK has the trailer up for download if you're interested.

I'm trying to catch up in One Piece, I'm just way behind (Don Krieg Saga) and slowly catching up. I think I'll move onto Kyou Kara Maou since I've all but ignored it after watching a few episodes and I'll probably look to finish up Whistle, as well. I think I may finally get a start on Yakitate.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Similiar to the way the wreslting threads are done. They usually say something like "Stone Cold's werstling topic".[/quote]Huh. Not being an avid reader of those particularly topics, I actually didn't know those were general wrestling threads.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The interesting thing is that the voice actor behind Gaara (Naruto for all of 2 people that don't know) is in it.[/quote]
I've seen maybe two episodes of Naruto so I guess you need to find that one other person.

Anyway, I started downloading Haruhi and watched the first episode. I thought it was okay. Not amazing, but good. I did like the voice-over humor.

I probably need to watch the second episode before I can really know if I'm going to like it.

Is Funimation ever going to release a series box that holds all 13 volumes of FMA instead of just the 3 volume tins? (Maybe even big enough for 14 to hold CoS since it comes out on the same day as 13. Hey, I can dream :)) It's driving me nuts having all of these dvds loose.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Is Funimation ever going to release a series box that holds all 13 volumes of FMA instead of just the 3 volume tins? (Maybe even big enough for 14 to hold CoS since it comes out on the same day as 13. Hey, I can dream :)) It's driving me nuts having all of these dvds loose.[/quote]

I'm gonna guess no since that'd be one big damn box. I'd say just get the tins, cause they work perfectly fine. On that note, I need to get the last four volumes or so, including the third tin. Sorta forgot to buy them for a couple months.

[quote name='karsh']I'm gonna guess no since that'd be one big damn box. I'd say just get the tins, cause they work perfectly fine. On that note, I need to get the last four volumes or so, including the third tin. Sorta forgot to buy them for a couple months.[/quote]
I thought it might be possible since back in the day of VHS's they had some huge boxes, like the ones for the DBZ sagas. IIRC, those were about the size of what this box would have to be. But, yeah, you're probably right.
I'll probably get the tins, it's going to be hell to get the first one at a reasonable price.

So I watched the second ep, and am about to watch the third one. I know others are totally wowed over this show, but so far I'm not seeing anything super special. I'll probably end up watching the whole series and regret doubting it, but right now it seems pretty ordinary.

[quote name='Z-Saber']So I watched the second ep, and am about to watch the third one. I know others are totally wowed over this show, but so far I'm not seeing anything super special. I'll probably end up watching the whole series and regret doubting it, but right now it seems pretty ordinary.[/quote] Naruto starts off pretty slow, and has more humor than action mostly. But, once you get to around the chuunin exam arc, it becaomes much more action oriented, and, in my opinion, takes off.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Naruto starts off pretty slow, and has more humor than action mostly. But, once you get to around the chuunin exam arc, it becaomes much more action oriented, and, in my opinion, takes off.[/quote]
I was actually talking about Haruhi.

The few episodes of Naruto I did see were alright, and I could see the appeal, but I really didn't want to get into something with that many episodes. It's basically the modern DBZ, isn't it?

[quote name='Z-Saber']I was actually talking about Haruhi.

The few episodes of Naruto I did see were alright, and I could see the appeal, but I really didn't want to get into something with that many episodes. It's basically the modern DBZ, isn't it?[/quote]
Oh.. :cry:
Well, Haruhi is even better. :D
As for Narto being the modern DBZ, I.... HAVE... TO... DIS--A--GREEEEE!

-See why there has been a disagreement in the next exciting reply by thespillcanvas!

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Oh.. :cry:

-See why there has been a disagreement in the next exciting reply by thespillcanvas![/quote]After rereading your reply, I think I got it. ;)

And I just watched the third episode. More of the same. Nothing awesome, nothing terrible.
Until the end.

Now the show has my interest.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Oh.. :cry:

-See why there has been a disagreement in the next exciting reply by thespillcanvas![/quote]

You missed the little promo about the next one that completely spoils the content of the next one.

Of course, lots of show fall prey to that.

DBZ-Will Goku be able to defeat Freiza? On the Next Episode of Dragonball Z- Freiza Defeated?
G Gundam- Will Domon be able to deafeat the Dark Gundam and save Rain? Next G-Gundam: God Gundam's Great Triumph: A Hopeful Future... Ready, Go!

bread's done
Back