The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's Anime/Manga Topic

[quote name='JSweeney']You missed the little promo about the next one that completely spoils the content of the next one.

Of course, lots of show fall prey to that.

DBZ-Will Goku be able to defeat Freiza? On the Next Episode of Dragonball Z- Freiza Defeated?
G Gundam- Will Domon be able to deafeat the Dark Gundam and save Rain? Next G-Gundam: God Gundam's Great Triumph: A Hopeful Future... Ready, Go![/quote] Haha, yes! I can't stand even the smallest spoiler so I always cut off the show before those come on. The worst is when they show a segment from around 3/4ths of the way through the current episode at the start before the opening song.

Can anyone fill me in on what's going on in Bleach lately?
I haven't been able to watch much anime recently, my girlfriend got stung by a bee (we think) on the 4th of July, and her whole hand swelled completely and turned black. She went to the hospital, and now they have her on pain killers and she has to stay for four more days so they can watch the swelling, and possibly cut it open to "drain the infection". I've been spending most of my time there, staring out the window, of a perfect view of a rooftop, free way, and some shitty rowhouses. :roll: And to top it off, my puppy (Yorkshire terrior) slipped off the bed while playing and broke her leg.
Best week evar!
/End rant, sorry to go off topic. :/

[quote name='Z-Saber']I was actually talking about Haruhi.

The few episodes of Naruto I did see were alright, and I could see the appeal, but I really didn't want to get into something with that many episodes. It's basically the modern DBZ, isn't it?[/quote]
Somewhat, but I'd liken it to Dragon Ball more than DBZ. The fillers have pretty much killed its chance of ever competing with DB in quality, though. I'd hope that they skip over those in the US, though I'm guessing it won't happen. :whistle2:( At least that won't happen for a long time.

I'm nearing the finish of Dragon Ball, as I'm at the final tourney where Goku's grown up and Piccolo Jr. is looking to avenge King Piccolo.

I agree about Haruhi. I watched up to the sixth episode and I find it to be nothing special. What are people finding in this series? Or is all the really good shit near the end? The characters are endearing, but the plot lines for the episodes are sub-par, standard anime fare. I am going to continue to watch it, though, as I don't really have anything pressing to do at the moment.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I agree about Haruhi. I watched up to the sixth episode and I find it to be nothing special. What are people finding in this series? Or is all the really good shit near the end? The characters are endearing, but the plot lines for the episodes are sub-par, standard anime fare. I am going to continue to watch it, though, as I don't really have anything pressing to do at the moment.[/quote]Totally agreed. I almost feel like all those people that saw Napoleon Dynamite after it got really big, expecting it to be totally great, walking away feeling cheated while the people who saw it back when it was nothing still love it.

I think Haruhi's big thing is the fact that it just seems like such a breath of fresh air after so many animes that just seem so cliched anymore, like most shounen action shows. It's not so much the plot-lines, which are still important but not as much as the characters. The characters are all great in Haruhi. Plus, there are a LOT of details in Haruhi that you wouldn't normally notice until you go back and see them, and quite frankly, a lot of other animes' creators and artists wouldn't go through. I mean, there's barely any real continuity errors throughout Haruhi, the entire show. There's the fact that for the most part, Haruhi never really has any "repeat" usage of scenes, like most shows do (where a scene is shown multiple times to convey the action being done multiple times). Plus there's the fact that the animation in general is AMAZING. If you ask me, it comes down to the fact that the characters are all awesome (how can you not love Haruhi and how she acts or Kyon's constant sarcastic commentary or Nagato with her...being Nagato) and the fact that the animation is truly top-notch. I think you'll really see the peak of the animation in episode 12, Live Alive. The storyline is decent enough, but it almost feels like a going through the motions thing to get the characters out there.

I'm gonna stick with Haruhi. I've progressively liked each episode more and more.

Four was pretty good. I'm beginning to see that there's a whole lot more to it, probably because of the non-chronological viewing order.

Episode 8 (non-chronologically) is awesome if only for the Phoenix Wright moment at the end. Plus the interactions in a cave.

[quote name='karsh']Episode 8 (non-chronologically) is awesome if only for the Phoenix Wright moment at the end. Plus the interactions in a cave.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just finished episode 8, loved the Phoenix Wright rip-off. Otherwise it was still boring.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, just finished episode 8, loved the Phoenix Wright rip-off. Otherwise it was still boring.[/quote]

I don't quite see how you can see it as boring if only for the way Haruhi acts in general and Kyon's running commentary but, c'est la vie. People like what they like and nothing'll change that.

[quote name='karsh']I don't quite see how you can see it as boring if only for the way Haruhi acts in general and Kyon's running commentary but, c'est la vie. People like what they like and nothing'll change that.[/quote]
Did you ever get past the 4th episode of Beck or did you give up on it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did you ever get past the 4th episode of Beck or did you give up on it?[/quote]

I unfortunately don't have it on my computer right now. When I get back to college next month I'm gonna give Beck another chance.

So I'm reading this guys thing on the last episode of Haruhi and he brings up about his top five favorite things about the series, and quite frankly, he manages to put it almost exactly like how I would:

My five most favorite things about Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
5. The music.
4. The animation.
3. The wit.
2. LOL FANG-TAN, Ryoko, Imouto-san, Mori, and the rest of the supporting characters.
1. Haruhi, Kyon, Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki.

Those right there...That's why I absolutely loved Haruhi. I think a small part of my enjoyment of it is the references back to Full Metal Panic, such as Itsuki's names for what he does in the episode with the cricket and some of Kyon's comments in the Culture Festival episode. It has nothing, in the end, to do with the story really, it's all about how generally awesome the main group of characters were, in addition to the awesome side characters.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Can anyone fill me in on what's going on in Bleach lately?[/quote]
Meh.
Vampires still running amok. Ururu is vomited up from the fish doll dimension thanks to Chado, Nova, & Rangiku. Rangiku still has a cool necklace, of which, the apex points to her big nice jahoobies. Old fart vampire backs off (despite still having the upper hand). Someone is infilitrating Soul Society (again) and Baldy (Ikkaku) couldn't stop him from getting in. Kenpachi-taicho is (as usual) nonchalant and always looking for a good fight. Ishida may or may not be displaying a return to his powers. Nova is embarassed since, if he was in his human form, would be humping Rangiku during their attempt to save Ururu. Hilarity ensues.
Hope that helps.

EDIT: I dunno how the story of TMOHS is boring. If it's a question of originality, I give Haruhi a benefit of a doubt since I believe it's rare nowadays for original ideas to actually exist. Rather, presentation of an old idea in a fresh new way makes for entertaining shows.

[quote name='jaykrue']
EDIT: I dunno how the story of TMOHS is boring. If it's a question of originality, I give Haruhi a benefit of a doubt since I believe it's rare nowadays for original ideas to actually exist. Rather, presentation of an old idea in a fresh new way makes for entertaining shows.[/quote]

As you said, it's not so much boring as the story is a bit cliched. However, the presentation and characters more than make up for it.

Thanks for the update, Jaykrue. :D I'm going to try to catch up tonight or tomorrow. I'm about 4 episodes behind. Maybe, I can find a wall socket I can free up in my gf's hospital room, and plug in my laptop and watch some anime there on it. That'd be great. (She likes anime too, and I could bring some movies for her.) It definatly beats doing nothing.

[quote name='karsh']As you said, it's not so much boring as the story is a bit cliched. However, the presentation and characters more than make up for it.[/quote]
Ditto. In fact, I'll go one further and say it's unique in that Haruhi is actively seeing out those very cliches that make up anime shows - magic wielding aliens, time travelers, espers, etc. Whereas other shows use it a backdrop in the plotline, TMOHS is using it AS the plotline. The joy I get from this show cannot be encapsulated in words. :lol:

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Thanks for the update, Jaykrue. :D I'm going to try to catch up tonight or tomorrow. I'm about 4 episodes behind. Maybe, I can find a wall socket I can free up in my gf's hospital room, and plug in my laptop and watch some anime there on it. That'd be great. (She likes anime too, and I could bring some movies for her.) It definatly beats doing nothing.[/quote]
De nada.:cool: I hope you weren't spoiled too much. :lol:

I finished Haruhi... it got a bit better as it went along, but it's still pretty "meh" to me. I think I am getting a little jaded with anime, though, if that helps any.

[quote name='jaykrue']I hope you weren't spoiled too much. :lol:[/quote]
Nope, not at all. Actually, just reading the name Kenpachi made me want to get back to watching it even more. :)

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Nope, not at all. Actually, just reading the name Kenpachi made me want to get back to watching it even more. :)[/quote]
Don't get you hopes up too high. Kenny's barely in one scene in the last 4 eps. (and no I don't think that's a spoiler).

EDIT: Ouran High School Host Club is becoming another of my favorite shows, despite it's bishounen infection. :lol:

New anime out called Welcome to the NHK. Hopefully it'll be as insane & messed up as the manga. In case anyone is wonder what it's about, it's about the plight of hikikimori (ppl - generally young men in their teens - 20s isolating themselves from the world by living almost exclusively in their bedrooms). In this particular case, it's the paranoid delusions of this hikikimori who believes there is a national conspiracy involving the national tv channel (the NHK).

[quote name='jaykrue']New anime out called Welcome to the NHK. Hopefully it'll be as insane & messed up as the manga. In case anyone is wonder what it's about, it's about the plight of hikikimori (ppl - generally young men in their teens - 20s isolating themselves from the world by living almost exclusively in their bedrooms). In this particular case, it's the paranoid delusions of this hikikimori who believes there is a national conspiracy involving the national tv channel (the NHK).[/quote] Just looked it up. It looks good. I see it either started yesterday, or today depending on sources (anidb/wikipedia). Do you know who's going to be subbing it yet? Might be too early.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Just looked it up. It looks good. I see it either started yesterday, or today depending on sources (anidb/wikipedia). Do you know who's going to be subbing it yet? Might be too early.[/quote]
ADRTW fansubs... though I confess this is the 1st I've heard of them so they might be a speed group.

EDIT: nm, they're just a raw provider.

I'm watching Ouran Host Club right now and I'm really enjoying it. I thought it would just be another standard shojo but it's actually quite funny and charming. Anyone know how many episodes there are, or is it still ongoing?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm watching Ouran Host Club right now and I'm really enjoying it. I thought it would just be another standard shojo but it's actually quite funny and charming. Anyone know how many episodes there are, or is it still ongoing?[/quote]

Its ongoing and supposed to be 26 episodes from what I understand. I'm glad people are liking Ouran. I mentioned it a few months ago but I think it got lost in the usual Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Haruhi converations.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Its ongoing and supposed to be 26 episodes from what I understand. I'm glad people are liking Ouran. I mentioned it a few months ago but I think it got lost in the usual Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Haruhi converations.[/QUOTE]

I'd known about the manga for some time, as it was one of Shojo Beat's premiere manga titles outside of the actual magazine. I thought it looked like a generic "boy is actuallyl a girl lolzzlz" manga and quickly dismissed it without giving it a chance. I just decided to check out the anime a couple days ago after hearing about it, and it's excellent. I don't know if I'll pick up the manga, but god damn if the show isn't hilarious.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I mentioned it a few months ago but I think it got lost in the usual Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Haruhi converations.[/QUOTE]
Feel my pain!!

BTW, I figured I'd ask here before I search...

Has anyone else had trouble playing the R.O.D. (OVA) DVD in their PS2? Mine always hangs during the paper airplane scene, yet it doesn't with my Memorex DVD player. I thought that was a bit odd.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']BTW, I figured I'd ask here before I search...

Has anyone else had trouble playing the R.O.D. (OVA) DVD in their PS2? Mine always hangs during the paper airplane scene, yet it doesn't with my Memorex DVD player. I thought that was a bit odd.[/quote]

My ps2, sadly, has never performed well in the dvd section. It'll play games like there's no tomorrow but pop in a dvd and it shits on it while not being able to get past the FBI warning screen. :bomb: The worst part? It's not even modded. :cry: I'm just fortunate that I don't use it as my default dvd player.

[quote name='jaykrue']My ps2, sadly, has never performed well in the dvd section. It'll play games like there's no tomorrow but pop in a dvd and it shits on it while not being able to get past the FBI warning screen. :bomb: The worst part? It's not even modded. :cry: I'm just fortunate that I don't use it as my default dvd player.[/quote]

I guess I was lucky because the ROD DVD is the only one I have had an issue with. The main reason I use the PS2 is because it is the only player I have with an S-Video cable. I don't mind using AV with my memorex but the quality is so much better on the PS2.

So I've been watching Utawarerumono (only watched two episodes so far) and it's rather good through those episodes. Hopefully it stays decent, cause it seems like it should be a decent show.

[quote name='karsh']So I've been watching Utawarerumono (only watched two episodes so far) and it's rather good through those episodes. Hopefully it stays decent, cause it seems like it should be a decent show.[/quote]

I had a hard time getting past the 1st episode. It didn't seem interesting. I'll give it another chance since you recommended Suzumiya to me and that turned out awesome.

[quote name='jaykrue']I had a hard time getting past the 1st episode. It didn't seem interesting. I'll give it another chance since you recommended Suzumiya to me and that turned out awesome.[/quote]

Remember, it's based off a tactical RPG / adventure game, so the first episode is very light on the hidden violence. I wasn't so sure after the first episode, but the second episode was much more good ol' shounen action show (but of the good variety, not the never-ending ones like Naruto and Bleach), and episode 3 looks to be even better, as there was definitely a ninja from what I saw. So I won't say it's awesome yet, but it looks like it could be pretty good.

[quote name='karsh']Remember, it's based off a tactical RPG / adventure game, so the first episode is very light on the hidden violence. I wasn't so sure after the first episode, but the second episode was much more good ol' shounen action show (but of the good variety, not the never-ending ones like Naruto and Bleach), and episode 3 looks to be even better, as there was definitely a ninja from what I saw. So I won't say it's awesome yet, but it looks like it could be pretty good.[/quote]

Cool. Can't go wrong w/ ninjas... (until they start using filler eps.)

An aside, I just found out that ADTRW is a fansub provider but they use soft-subs so there was a corresponding subtitle file w/ Welcome to the NHK.

So I thought this was an interesting development in the Bleach anime. The third Heat the Soul game is set to be released next Friday (the 20th) and features a ton of new characters (including Bankai forms of some characters). Another thing to remember is this game seems to be based on the anime rather than the manga, based on Soi Fon having the weird undershirt thing. Well, the last two characters were announced today. One was obvious, Bankai Byakuya. However, the other was a huge surprise. The last playable character in HtS3 is going to be Uliquora. That means we've now seen a Vizard in the splash page in the anime opening and now an Arrankar has shown up playable in the game. It gives me hope that the Bounto arc will be ending soon, regardless of me liking it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']BTW, I figured I'd ask here before I search...

Has anyone else had trouble playing the R.O.D. (OVA) DVD in their PS2? Mine always hangs during the paper airplane scene, yet it doesn't with my Memorex DVD player. I thought that was a bit odd.[/QUOTE]
Yup, that part of the first episode is a problem for a few different players, PS2 included.

[quote name='karsh']So I thought this was an interesting development in the Bleach anime. The third Heat the Soul game is set to be released next Friday (the 20th) and features a ton of new characters (including Bankai forms of some characters). Another thing to remember is this game seems to be based on the anime rather than the manga, based on Soi Fon having the weird undershirt thing. Well, the last two characters were announced today. One was obvious, Bankai Byakuya. However, the other was a huge surprise. The last playable character in HtS3 is going to be Uliquora. That means we've now seen a Vizard in the splash page in the anime opening and now an Arrankar has shown up playable in the game. It gives me hope that the Bounto arc will be ending soon, regardless of me liking it.[/quote]

Ditto. I just saw the latest bleach this afternoon (eps. 88) and it looks like things are building to a climax. I hope they end the arc within 5 or 6 episodes as even it's starting to go the DBZ route (if not already). The manga is far, far, FAR ahead so the excuse that the anime is catching up can no longer be used. That goes triple for Naruto.:bomb:

Has anyone "tried" the Bleach GBA game? It's fun, but takes a little bit to get used to this FPRPSRPG (First Person Rock-Paper-Scissors RPG). I also "tried" out one of the Prince of Tennis (2003) games for GBA and it was fun once I got the hang of it. I had to use an actual controller instead of the keyboard so I could actual play it. It's fun to pull of specials, but Kawamura is hard to beat since he can knock the racket out of my hands with his specials and doing that three times ends the game.

I also tried out a few episodes of Yakitate and I think I'm hooked. I'll definitely finish this one.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has anyone "tried" the Bleach GBA game? It's fun, but takes a little bit to get used to this FPRPSRPG (First Person Rock-Paper-Scissors RPG). I also "tried" out one of the Prince of Tennis (2003) games for GBA and it was fun once I got the hang of it. I had to use an actual controller instead of the keyboard so I could actual play it. It's fun to pull of specials, but Kawamura is hard to beat since he can knock the racket out of my hands with his specials and doing that three times ends the game.

I also tried out a few episodes of Yakitate and I think I'm hooked. I'll definitely finish this one.[/quote]

I use Eiji a lot as his acrobatic moves along w/ his Kikumaru Beam help me beat Kawamura before he decides to use his special.

[quote name='jaykrue']I use Eiji a lot as his acrobatic moves along w/ his Kikumaru Beam help me beat Kawamura before he decides to use his special.[/quote]
Interesting strategy. I just get the fuck out of the way and hope he doesn't use it during a session of deuces.

Re One Piece 419:
Not even the cliched last second rescue can put me off. Sogeking with the long range sniping for the win! Now they just have to kill Spandam, brutally, and this will be the best arc since Alabasta.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has anyone "tried" the Bleach GBA game? It's fun, but takes a little bit to get used to this FPRPSRPG (First Person Rock-Paper-Scissors RPG). I also "tried" out one of the Prince of Tennis (2003) games for GBA and it was fun once I got the hang of it. I had to use an actual controller instead of the keyboard so I could actual play it. It's fun to pull of specials, but Kawamura is hard to beat since he can knock the racket out of my hands with his specials and doing that three times ends the game.

I also tried out a few episodes of Yakitate and I think I'm hooked. I'll definitely finish this one.[/quote]
I play the PoT GBA games ALOT. I tried the Bleach GBA game, but the language barrier pretty much knocked that out.

Episode three of Utawarerumono was just okay in the end, but four completely made up for it. It definitely set up the next part of the series perfectly to the point where I'm definitely gonna keep watching this show.

[quote name='jmcc']Re One Piece 419:
Not even the cliched last second rescue can put me off. Sogeking with the long range sniping for the win! Now they just have to kill Spandam, brutally, and this will be the best arc since Alabasta.
[/QUOTE]

Franky will probably be the one to get the last hit on Spandam. Unless Sanji does a Diable Jump Groin Kick or Robin turns him into a ball.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Bleach ch235 - The Frozen Clutch (script)
FMA ch61 (RAW) (thanks to ZOMGFTA)

its been a while, but I'm back from vacation, I havent been able to post simply because I've been catching up on everything I missed:D

btw, is anyone else here following Blood+?[/quote]
Blood+ is on my backburner right now but yeah I'm following it. Season 2 (starting at 27) is up to the early 30s already.

EDIT: dunno if anyone still cares but latest Naruto is out (193) as well as the eps. 2 of Season 2 of Honey & Clover.

[quote name='jaykrue']Blood+ is on my backburner right now but yeah I'm following it. Season 2 (starting at 27) is up to the early 30s already.

EDIT: dunno if anyone still cares but latest Naruto is out (193) as well as the eps. 2 of Season 2 of Honey & Clover.[/quote]I'm about halfway through H&C season 1 (I've had it DLed for several months already, I really should finish it up so I can be caught up with season 2 -_-')

and as for Blood+, here are some snapshots of Saya from ep 33-35:

Maybe those will catch the eyes of those who aren't watching it

[quote name='LiquidNight']I'm about halfway through H&C season 1 (I've had it DLed for several months already, I really should finish it up so I can be caught up with season 2 -_-')

and as for Blood+, here are some snapshots of Saya from ep 33-35:

Maybe those will catch the eyes of those who aren't watching it[/quote]

Tasty. :drool: Anyway, the Naruto vol. 315 manga actually got my interest piqued. Although I kinda figured out what Naruto's 'nature' is thanks to his jutsus, the explanations for 'nature' were quite interesting.

bread's done
Back