Feedback
50 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plgrSM-QYOY
mariostrikerscharged200bu8.jpg

Reviews
IGN: 8.3/10
1up: 7.5/10

-----------------------------------------

Friend Codes (Mii name in parentheses, tournament-bound, XBL added for voice chatting)
alison (Alison) - 313639 638690 (added 8/4)
bardiya27 (Bardiya) - 249214 828217
Blaine -
416719 040797 (added 8/11)
botticus (botticus) - 128955 630690
buttle (jeffrie) - 244919 844414 (added 8/5)
carthitup (Berg) - 343704 088954
CombatCraig (Craig) - 210560 109267
CouRageous (Johnathan) - 159020 494287
daroga (daroga) - 163315 348688 (XBL: daroga)
ep2011 (Eric) - 253509 863996
EXStrike (EXStrike) -
262099 828781
FriskyTanuki (Chris) - 249216 541987
hinkbert (Hink) - 403834 046372 (added 8/5)
io (Io) - 451078 309357 (XBL: Odibee)
jbuck138 (J Buck) - 163315 979393 (added 8/6)
js1 (js1) - 455373 445771
KhaosX (X) - 472554 362088 (re-added 8/13)
konicki465 (konicki465) - 000106 684951
lebowsky (lebowsky) - 154725 500936
Legendaryhedgehog06 (Si) - 043056 361254
lilboo (Tommy) - 030172 514684
lyric706 (Mikey) - 176200 462607
Misterhand (Groucho) - 201970 543599 (added 8/5)
mpj31 (Koopa) - 524092 823070
Mr. Beef - 133252 882780 (added 8/23)
naes - 541281 152126 (added 11/3)
panasonic (Panasonic) - 171906 012043 (added 8/7)
pastaeater (pasteater) - 463963 198001 (added 8/3)
retodd (ReTodd) - 386653 745677
Rig - 107481 116828
Rocko (Derek) - 184790 722221 (added 8/5)
seanr1221 (Sean) - 081711 075165 (XBL: SeanR1221)
shadowhawk22 (Suman) - 360884 354928 (added 8/5)
Sir_Fragalot (SirFragalt) - 279279 787444
snipegod (DannyBoy) - 360883 944618
SpazX (Spaz) - 502617 891148
SpottedNigel (Nigel) -
090302 281256 (added 8/20)
Staind204 (Steve) - 433898 988424
Strell -
077417 710340
suko_32 - 141849 051469 (added 11/3)
trip1eX (Dad) - 219150 050431 (added 8/5)
Tybee (Tybee) - 421013 519727
V Man (V Man) - 536977 642786
wjhard63 (wjhard) - 017286 705150
yukine (yukine) - 167610 457825

Tournament Info
The first CAG Strikers tournament will begin on a TBA date the week of 8/5. Sign-up will close on the evening of 8/5 so I can begin putting together the schedule. I hope we will be running more tournaments in the future, so don't worry if you miss this deadline.

Format/Rules:
A bracket will be put together with all the interested parties on the evening of Sunday 8/5. The single-elimination tournament will begin as soon as the bracket is published, and matches should be completed as soon as possible. If two players have advanced from the first round and are matched up in the second round, they may play their second round match even if some players have not completed their first round matches.

Matches will consist of the standard best-of-three 3-minute games. Any stadiums with special effects are excluded. The valid stadiums for matches are:

The Vice
The Classroom
Galactic Stadium
Bowser Stadium
The Battle Dome
Konga Coliseum
Crater Field
The Palace
Pipeline Central
The Underground

When a match has been completed, the winner will post the results (score for each game) in the thread.

CAG Strikers August 07 Bracket
First Round - completed 8/9

EAST
bardiya27 (bardiya) - BYE

daroga (daroga) - BYE

konicki465 (konicki465) - BYE

js1 (js1) - BYE

WEST
Misterhand (Groucho) vs. V Man (V Man) - 0-2 (3-8, 0-7)
shadowhawk22 (Suman) vs. snipegod (DannyBoy) - 0-2 (3-4 OT, 2-3 OT)

ep2011 (Eric) - BYE

CouRageous (Johnathan) - BYE

NORTH
Legendaryhedgehog06 (Si) vs. yukine (yukine) - 2-1 (1-2, 5-1, 4-2)
mpj31 (Koopa) vs. Tybee (Tybee) - 2-0 (3-0, 4-0)

pastaeater (pastaeater) vs. trip1ex (Dad) - 1-2 (0-1, 2-1, 0-1)
seanr1221 (Sean) vs. SpazX (Spaz) - 2-0 (2-1, 3-0)

SOUTH
lebowsky (lebowsky) - BYE

EXStrike (EXStrike) - BYE

buttle (jeffrie) - BYE

botticus (botticus) - BYE

Second Round
- completed 8/20

EAST
bardiya27 (bardiya) vs. daroga (daroga) - 2-0 (4-2, 4-2)
konicki465 (konicki465) vs. js1 (js1) - Forfeit

WEST
CouRageous (Johnathan) vs. ep2011 (Eric) - Forfeit
V Man (V Man) vs. snipegod (DannyBoy) - 2-0 (2-0, 3-0)

NORTH
trip1ex (Dad) vs. seanr1221 (Sean) - 2-0 (2-1, 4-1)
mpj31 (Koopa) vs. Legendaryhedgehog06 (Si) - 2-0 (3-0, 6-2)

SOUTH
lebowsky (lebowsky) vs. EXStrike (EXStrike) - 2-1 (2-1, 2-6, 5-4)
buttle (jeffrie) vs. botticus (botticus) - 2-1 (4-2, 3-4, 4-1)

Third Round - Quarterfinals - completed 8/29

EAST
bardiya27 (bardiya) vs. js1 (js1) - 2-0 (2-1, 3-1)

WEST
snipegod (DannyBoy) vs. ep2011 (Eric) - 2-0 (6-1, 2-0)

NORTH
Legendaryhedgehog06 (Si) vs. trip1ex (Dad) - 2-0 (10-3, 2-1)

SOUTH
buttle (jeffrie) vs. lebowsky (lebowsky) - 2-0

Fourth Round - Semifinals - completed 9/2

EAST-WEST
snipegod (DannyBoy) vs. bardiya27 (bardiya) - 1-2 (3-0, 2-3, 2-3)

NORTH-SOUTH
Legendaryhedgehog (Si) vs. buttle (jeffrie) - 2-1 (2-3, 6-2, 6-2)

Finals - completed 9/5

Legendaryhedgehog (Si) vs. bardiya27 (bardiya) - 2-0 (3-2, 3-1)

Tournament Winner:

Legendaryhedgehog (Si)

I've only played an in-store demo of Strikers, but the graphics looked exactly the same to me. The only real difference I could tell was 16x9 (not sure if the original had this), and the super shots and intros looked like maybe they were spruced up a bit.

So far most of the Wii games have looked at least a slight step up. I hope they don't start flooding the market with titles like this.

[quote name='elwood731']I've only played an in-store demo of Strikers, but the graphics looked exactly the same to me. The only real difference I could tell was 16x9 (not sure if the original had this), and the super shots and intros looked like maybe they were spruced up a bit.

So far most of the Wii games have looked at least a slight step up. I hope they don't start flooding the market with titles like this.[/quote]

There is one big difference between Mario Strikers GC and Mario Strikers Wii - online play. That is going to be pretty awesome.

[quote name='lebowsky']There is one big difference between Mario Strikers GC and Mario Strikers Wii - online play. That is going to be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Word. Strikers was 1000x more fun when playing multi-player so I am glad to hear that it will have Wifi from the get-go. Of course it's not as fun as actually playing w/ people next to you but it's sure as hell better than playing the AI straight up.

[quote name='lebowsky']There is one big difference between Mario Strikers GC and Mario Strikers Wii - online play. That is going to be pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's certainly good and all, but is that all Wii games are going to be? The new controller and WiFi? It should at least get a bit of a bump, I would think. Maybe I just can't appreciate it from the demo I played and this video.

I will say that getting Mario games like this, Tennis, Kart, etc. will be a blast, as long as Nintendo makes the network workable to get rid of griefers.

I think the game could be fun, though I'm apprehensive about the title simply because the 1P side was incredibly boring. I had fun with the game when I managed to convince people to play with me, but by myself it was a snooze. (I actually kept my GC version of Strikers just to have something to play with friends and family in case the Wii launch didn't provide decent party games.) 4P in Strikers is damn fun, though, almost fun enough to make up for the lame 1P experience.

And I'm not still not crazy about the big animations on the super shots, but I like that they've involved other players in them (the goalie blocks) to make them a little more useful.

I think this will be an okay title, but I just can't bring myself to get too excited about it quite yet after my experience on the GC. Need to see more.

mario strikers was so, so good. Hope there are more wii additions than just blocking for the goalie. It'd be nice to see some minigames using the wiimote and more fleshed out single player.

am i the only one here who wasn't a huge fan of it? it didnt' feel "mario" enough to me and the R (Boost) button could be so easily abused, too flashy for its own good IMO

The goalie-block-the-ball gameplay seemed WAY too fast at its current state.
[quote name='yukine']Awesome. Now where is Mario Hockey?[/quote]
Actually, I think Mario Volleyball would work really well with a wii control scheme.

[quote name='evilmax17']The goalie-block-the-ball gameplay seemed WAY too fast at its current state.[/QUOTE]At least the goalie can do something. IIRC, in the GC one, once a super move is pulled (which wasn't very hard), there's pretty much nothing a goalie can do to stop it.

I also hope they do make the Wii version more Mario-y. My main disappointment was that the stadiums were pretty bland. I still had a blast on the GC w/friends, even though all we would do is tackle each other repeatedly.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']At least the goalie can do something. IIRC, in the GC one, once a super move is pulled (which wasn't very hard), there's pretty much nothing a goalie can do to stop it.

I also hope they do make the Wii version more Mario-y. My main disappointment was that the stadiums were pretty bland. I still had a blast on the GC w/friends, even though all we would do is tackle each other repeatedly.[/QUOTE]
I agree about the goalie. The super shot sequences are the lulls in multiplayer--adding some interactivity will liven things up.

And also agree about the stadiums, though I think they shouldn't make the play area as busy as it is in Mario Power Tennis. I've only played MPT a few times, but I found the playing fields distracting.

I'm hoping that they add to the play control and come up with a simple, nifty way to avoid tackles that incorporates the Wiimote. Maybe you could jerk the controller up quick to avoid tackles. Almost every 4P game I was involved in was a tackle-fest, and a simple way of avoiding tackles (that everyone, not just the expert gamers, can use) would help diffuse the situation. Things can get ugly fast when the tackles pile up.

[quote name='evilmax17']
Actually, I think Mario Volleyball would work really well with a wii control scheme.[/QUOTE]

I do hope Princess wears a thong in that one.

[quote name='yukine']Awesome. Now where is Mario Hockey?[/QUOTE]

Amen. I was hoping they would take the Strikers engine and turn it into hockey for the Wii. Strikers already plays more like hockey than soccer - it's a walled arena, it has the equivalent of checking, and half the goals are one-timers. Super Mario Slapshot ftw.

[quote name='yukine']Awesome. Now where is Mario Hockey?[/QUOTE]

We need Ice Hockey updated to Wii controls.

Don't update the graphics at all.

Best. Hockey. Game. Ever.

[quote name='Strell']We need Ice Hockey updated to Wii controls.

Don't update the graphics at all.

Best. Hockey. Game. Ever.[/quote]

If they did a Mario Hockey, it'd probably play a lot like Ice Hockey, as Mario Golf feels like an updated port of Golf. :D

[quote name='elwood731']I've only played an in-store demo of Strikers, but the graphics looked exactly the same to me. The only real difference I could tell was 16x9 (not sure if the original had this), and the super shots and intros looked like maybe they were spruced up a bit.[/quote]

Strikers GC also has 16x9 on it I'm assuming with the progressive scan cable.

So far most of the Wii games have looked at least a slight step up. I hope they don't start flooding the market with titles like this.

I wouldn't get too worried as it will most likely take a little bit of time before we start seeing developers move past the "Gamecube graphics with teh Wii mote" phase we are seeing on the early Wii games.

If the time it takes to connect to a match is under 30 seconds, I will be so happy. I am loving the season type mode where I can gain achivements for kicking fucking ass. Now I really can't wait.

So there you have one example, friend codes only required for one out of three online modes.

I'm curious to know how you came to that conclusion seeing how there is no mention of friend codes either way. Sure it sounds promising, but let's take it easy. For all we know all those matches required 10 friend codes and 20 minutes to initiate.

I think he's just paralleling it to the Tetris situation. One mode is completely random (global) search, one mode is local search, one mode is friends code. Its a reasonable assumption.

Cool cool. Glad I didn't play much of the Cube version.

Now, I'll be able to enjoy the Wii version (as a "new" game) when it's available.

am i the only one who didn't like the gc version? it just didn't feel "mario" enough for me, and being able to hold down R for the speed boost was easy to abuse

[quote name='The Crotch']It sounds great, but I guarantee that we're going to have people on here whining about how they can't play a ranked game without either running into someone who exploits the game (like snakers in MK) or disconnect when losing.

Not that the whining wouldn't be unreasonable, or anything. Just sayin' is all.[/quote]
Wouldn't disconnecting be alot harder for the wii? It takes like five+ seconds just to turn it off, and to unplug it you would have to walk across the room.

[quote name='J35U5']Wouldn't disconnecting be alot harder for the wii? It takes like five+ seconds just to turn it off, and to unplug it you would have to walk across the room.[/quote]home button + reset? maybe they could keep track of disconnectors like in MPH

Sounds pretty good. I'm reall excited about Charged, as I got the original and it was a blast. It'll be interesting to play with the wiimote though, as it seems like the type of game that would be better with a regular controller than a wiimote.

[quote name='Scrubking']I'm curious to know how you came to that conclusion seeing how there is no mention of friend codes either way. Sure it sounds promising, but let's take it easy. For all we know all those matches required 10 friend codes and 20 minutes to initiate.[/quote]
There will be three types of matches: friendship, “regular”, and area specific matches. Area specific matches relate to the areas of the world, not the areas in the game.
If friendship doesn't equate to friend codes, regular doesn't equate to Mario Kart's "worldwide" matches, and "area specific" isn't the same as Mario Kart's "regional" mode, where the latter two don't use friend codes, I will be wholly confused by their naming.

So long as it doesn't take 2-4 minutes to find a player...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I think he's just paralleling it to the Tetris situation. One mode is completely random (global) search, one mode is local search, one mode is friends code. Its a reasonable assumption.[/quote]

Oh no, there are "achievements"!
What did you say about packing up your Wii if it ever came to that?

I'll wait for complete English details on the game as I don't quite get what they fuck they're trying to say (what are these achievements and how are Miis involved?).

From Nintendo:

One of the many modes this game features is the multiplayer mode which can see up to four players in any one game (players must split between two teams). Players can also utilise Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service to take on players from across the globe! Multiplayer modes include Ranked mode where players can compete to climb up leaderboards and Unranked mode where they can quickly select and play friends.
I'm hoping that means two players can choose to be on the same team or on opposite teams.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=15517

Nintendo has their online shit together, at least in this one case:

Most excitingly, it will be possible for two players on a single Wii to play on the same team against two players on another Wii connected to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection network. "So [we] could team up on our office Wii and play you and Kristan on your Eurogamer Wii," a Nintendo UK spokesperson explained.
That is excellent.

Random matches are region-locked, so you will never play a random match against someone from another region, but if you have the friend code of someone in another region, you can play them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74967

I am very glad now that I sold my GC Mario Strikers for $30+ to subsidize this one.

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2007/04/23/new-mario-strikers-charged-info/

Friend codes usage explained (maybe):
You import your Mii in Strikers, and get a friend code per Mii. This way, you and your family can have different friends to play with online.

Other details:
- 12 Captains, with each their own attributes.
- Bowser is a new playable Captain this year.
- For the first time you can mix and match sidekicks in your team.
- Boo, Dry bone, Shyguy and Monty Mole are new sidekicks.
- 9 new Stadiums, each with their own events. Such as no sidewalls so you can push the other team off the field.
- Each Captains have their own special ability.
- Sidekicks each have different skill shots.

Online play
- You’ll be able to play ranked and unranked games online.
- Playing 2 players locally on one Wii against 2 players on another Wii online.
- Season, each season is around 3 months, during those three months it will keep track of all your win/lose and the points you’ve won.
- Striker of the day mode. If you’re get the most ranking point in a certain day, your Mii will be featured on everyones Wii.

I am REALLY loving 2 on 2 online!!! That's REALLY great!!!

And hmm.. That's SORTA neat about the Friend Code = Mii. So if you made 100 Miis, it's kinda like having 100 different accounts.. :shock:

Very nice. I'm excited about this now. Let's just hope there aren't alot of people whom disconnect, and people who hack and ruin the game :( (like they do on DS Wi-Fi)

It'd be cool if your Mii had one friend code that would work with every online game. I should correct myself, not really cool but better than having 20 codes.

[quote name='dallow']Hope it means that Smash will have co-op online multi!
My friend and I would kill for that.[/quote]

I was just thinking the same thing. If they could pull that off, it would go a long way toward repairing Nintendo's reputation as online-unfriendly.

Of course, they haven't even officially announced that Brawl will be online for even ONE player, so that may be wishful thinking indeed. :cry:

Preview of the online play:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/788/788419p1.html

The good:
1) Lots of online play options/features (stats, rankings, Mii's shown in rankings, etc)
2) Looks like 2 players can play locally in the online game - AWESOME!
3) 17 stadiums (10 new ones in addition to those from the GC version)
4) Newer stadiums are more interactive (events/effects/obstacles/etc)
5) No lag (granted this is pre-release testing so the servers are not getting hammered)

The bad:
1, and it's a big 1) Game-specific friend's codes confirmed (blah...). But note there is a "Rivals" mode where you play strangers and thus don't need the codes.
2) Comes out on May 25th in Europe :cry:. When do we get it?

My kids and I broke out the GC version the other day and had a blast playing it multiplayer. I had never really played it much before despite getting it on release. We actually unlocked a new stadium for the first time ;). I'm looking forward to the new one, but I hope the Wii controls don't hose it up - it controls perfectly on the Wavebird as is...

[quote name='io']1 and only 1) Game-specific friend's codes confirmed (blah...). But note there is a "Rivals" mode where you play strangers and thus don't need the codes.
[/QUOTE]
WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO! If you don't want kiddies playing online, make an option for parental controls to block online play and make console specific friend codes, if you have to.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO! If you don't want kiddies playing online, make an option for parental controls to block online play and make console specific friend codes, if you have to.[/QUOTE]

Ah, well, as much of a pain as it is, we'll cope. I'm sure there will be a thread here and we can exchange codes out the wazoo like with DS games ;). I'm looking forward to this though. There aren't really any games I'm excited about playing online on my new 360 where the setup, of course, is much easier. But I'll jump through a few hoops to play this one online! It's all about the gameplay!

[quote name='io']Ah, well, as much of a pain as it is, we'll cope. I'm sure there will be a thread here and we can exchange codes out the wazoo like with DS games ;). I'm looking forward to this though. There aren't really any games I'm excited about playing online on my new 360 where the setup, of course, is much easier. But I'll jump through a few hoops to play this one online! It's all about the gameplay![/quote]

The thing is, we knew that friend codes were coming from the preview at the beginning of this thread. I don't like that they are using friend codes, but you don't have to jump through any hoops to play online in general (Rivals mode), but you have to jump through hoops to play friends.

[quote name='lebowsky']The thing is, we knew that friend codes were coming from the preview at the beginning of this thread. I don't like that they are using friend codes, but you don't have to jump through any hoops to play online in general (Rivals mode), but you have to jump through hoops to play friends.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I didn't read through the thread (again) - just used search to find the most relevant one to post this new preview in. I didn't want to create a new thread and get Scorch'd! ;)

Even though I read this thread earlier, I only vaguely remembered something about friend's codes, but I wasn't sure if it was 100% confirmed at the time. I thought maybe there was some question as to the need for them if you have the person on your Wii friends list (like, you'd only need the Strikers code if they weren't otherwise on your list, which would be nice, of course). So just wanted to get that out there so everyone could vent (again)...

Otherwise, though, looks like a great game. One of the big new Wiimote additions is the use of the pointer to block shots with your goalie (only on Super Striker shots I guess). Apparently you control a pair of hands with the pointer - sounds, uh, interesting... You also waggle to tackle instead of pressing Y (or whatever it was on the GC). I'm not sure I'll like that, but I guess I can get used to it.

bread's done
Back