Official Mario Strikers Charged! Discussion and FCs

yea, this is, in my opinion, the first real game we're getting for the wii since launch. in that, it's not a gamecube port. it's not a mini game collection. and it's got online. so i'm definitly getting it first day.
as for friend codes. i still haven't really used them. outside of a little animal crossing action. to me, playing someone i met online, is about the same as playing someone that the game randomly selects. and all of my friends live pretty close, so if we want to play against each other, we'll just get together.

If all goes as planned I will have this next thursday because that is when I plan to go shopping to pick it up. I am really psyched about this game because I loved the first game to death and put enough hours into it, lol. Plus I will be pimping off my Mario Soccer skills during college this semester and I it has WIFI, fuck yeah.

So, do we need to be in people's main Wii Friends list for online play or are the game friend codes completely separate from main list?

[quote name='daroga']So, do we need to be in people's main Wii Friends list for online play or are the game friend codes completely separate from main list?[/quote]

This is taken from a Striker's FAQ on GameFAQs:

Friend Roster
Click here and the first thing on the screen that appears is your friend code.
You need to give this to people so that they can register you as a friend and
play Friendly games with you. To add someone as a friend, click "ADD FRIEND"
and input their 12-digit friend code (Which is NOT the same as the friend code
of the Wii message board).

So we will need to do the friend code thing once again for this game. Friend codes are tied to individual Miis so hopefully this system will carry over to other Wii online games. One of the Charged devs actually stated that the system would carry over but was then contradicted by some Nintendo rep.

I think this thread would be fine if you wouldn't mind updating it, botticus. I'd do it, but I know I wouldn't keep it up to date, so.... ;)

[quote name='daroga']I think this thread would be fine if you wouldn't mind updating it, botticus. I'd do it, but I know I wouldn't keep it up to date, so.... ;)[/quote]I can probably promise to update it for the first week, then people might be on their own. We'll see how popular it ends up being, numbers-wise.

Who wants to take bets on server reliability following US launch? From what I've heard, everything seems to have been worked out for the Euros. I'm curious how US traffic will compare, and if they've bulked up for that traffic on top of the existing.

[quote name='botticus']I can probably promise to update it for the first week, then people might be on their own. We'll see how popular it ends up being, numbers-wise.

Who wants to take bets on server reliability following US launch? From what I've heard, everything seems to have been worked out for the Euros. I'm curious how US traffic will compare, and if they've bulked up for that traffic on top of the existing.[/quote]

If past WFC-enabled games are any indication, it is going to be pretty bad for the first week or so. I know that the UK launch was pretty flaky initially but got better as time went on. I also remember that Mario Kart DS was pretty bad initially as well.

I'm just assuming that by the time we get all of the friend codes added, the online will be up to speed ;)

[quote name='lebowsky']IGN video of the online matchmaking process from logging in to the actual match.[/quote]Wow...that's looks pretty painless, really.

[quote name='eugaet']Wow...that's looks pretty painless, really.[/quote]They have a decent online system if you ignore the friend codes.

I enjoy the music.

I want impressions from you guys day one. I have a $50 gift card to Target burning a hole in my pocket. I can't decide if I should just pick this up with it or wait for Metroid Prime 3 or GTA4. This is a mario sports game so I have a feeling the price won't go down for a long time.

[quote name='Staind204']I want impressions from you guys day one. I have a $50 gift card to Target burning a hole in my pocket. I can't decide if I should just pick this up with it or wait for Metroid Prime 3 or GTA4. This is a mario sports game so I have a feeling the price won't go down for a long time.[/QUOTE]

No, that it won't. The original Strikers for the cube is still $29.99 with the superior sequel about to hit! I'd expect Strikers Charged to stay at $50 for at least a year, probably 2-3.

I went to switch a preorder over to Mario Galaxy (alert, thanks to Guinevere for the info that Galaxy and SSBB are available for preorder now at EB/GS) and got into a conversation with the manager about Strikers. First off, he isn't sure whether they will have it on Monday or Tuesday (probably Tuesday but there's a chance Nintendo will ship them early for sale on Monday). But he also told me Nintendo sent out advance copies to every EB/GS manager! It's just one person's view, but he said it is by far his favorite Wii game. Doesn't hurt, anyway... can't wait.

The general impressions out of NeoGAF following the Euro launch were very positive, outside of server problems at the beginning.

Inviting people to a game looks to compeltely solve the random "I want to play with friends but I have too many online" issue with Mario Kart DS. Can't wait! :)

So far so good--the game is pretty damn impressive right now, and I didn't really like the GCN one.

Online play is great with minimal lag (guessing it'll depend on who you're playing), though it's hard to tell for sure since obviously most6 people won't be on until at least the 31st. Wasn't able to connect to anyone under Series + Guest, so I'm guessing it only looks for other people who select that option (no 2p-on-1+cpu games), but again that's likely because there are so few online at the moment.

[quote name='Zingela']So far so good--the game is pretty damn impressive right now, and I didn't really like the GCN one.

Online play is great with minimal lag (guessing it'll depend on who you're playing), though it's hard to tell for sure since obviously most6 people won't be on until at least the 31st. Wasn't able to connect to anyone under Series + Guest, so I'm guessing it only looks for other people who select that option (no 2p-on-1+cpu games), but again that's likely because there are so few online at the moment.[/quote]That's probably good... I'm thinking it'd be unfair if I was playing by myself, matched up against two people. Unless the AI is godly.

[quote name='botticus']That's probably good... I'm thinking it'd be unfair if I was playing by myself, matched up against two people. Unless the AI is godly.[/quote]

Yeah, that wouldn't really be fair, but I hope other CAGs (and the general populace) uses that option so that I can play with my wife.

IGN Ratings for Mario Strikers Charged (Wii)

8.0 Presentation
From the gorgeous opening cinematic to the slick menus and big list of characters and stadiums, not to mention online play, Charged delivers.

8.0 Graphics
Very well done. Beautiful for a Wii game, in fact. Great character models and animation, advanced particle effects, cinematic camera angles and sweeps. Runs in pro-scan and 16:9 at 30 frames.

7.5 Sound
We really love the music in the game -- we just wish there was more variety to it. While very catchy, you'll hear the same songs over and over. Voice-work and sound effects have punch and atmosphere.

8.0 Gameplay
A fun, but repetitive single-player experience. However, the multiplayer offering is downright addictive. Great control mingles with a mostly well-executed and lag-free online experience.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
More characters, stadiums, cups, cheats and gameplay modes than ever. But it's the fun offline and online multiplayer modes that will keep you coming back.

OVERALL

Impressive

(out of 10 / not an average)

[quote name='Zen Davis']IGN Ratings for Mario Strikers Charged (Wii)

8.0 Presentation
From the gorgeous opening cinematic to the slick menus and big list of characters and stadiums, not to mention online play, Charged delivers.

8.0 Graphics
Very well done. Beautiful for a Wii game, in fact. Great character models and animation, advanced particle effects, cinematic camera angles and sweeps. Runs in pro-scan and 16:9 at 30 frames.

7.5 Sound
We really love the music in the game -- we just wish there was more variety to it. While very catchy, you'll hear the same songs over and over. Voice-work and sound effects have punch and atmosphere.

8.0 Gameplay
A fun, but repetitive single-player experience. However, the multiplayer offering is downright addictive. Great control mingles with a mostly well-executed and lag-free online experience.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
More characters, stadiums, cups, cheats and gameplay modes than ever. But it's the fun offline and online multiplayer modes that will keep you coming back.

OVERALL

Impressive

(out of 10 / not an average)[/quote]

thats-hot-image-2.jpg

I've played this already since my friend's Wii is modded, but I still can't wait to get online and play with some CAGs. We should have a tourney for Wii points or something.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I've played this already since my friend's Wii is modded, but I still can't wait to get online and play with some CAGs. We should have a tourney for Wii points or something.[/quote]

Yes. Lets.

A tourney could be fun. Everyone kick in an even amount to buy a point card and then play? I could be up for that, though I'm moving in 2 weeks... :whistle2:/

I'd totally be in for a tourney. Im still trying to decide if I buy this day one or just rent it to see if I like it first.

eh, with onlione play I think this one will be worth my $50. Besides, it ain't gonna drop in price anytime soon. For Nintendo-made games I've learned just to pony up and play them at launch rather than wiating like 3 years for a $15 price drop.

Should I return my Wii points card and use that $20 towards this game? Or what should I do? I need a new game, RE4 isn't gonna satisfy my gaming needs lol.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']Should I return my Wii points card and use that $20 towards this game? Or what should I do? I need a new game, RE4 isn't gonna satisfy my gaming needs lol.[/quote]Why? As excited as I am for this, I'd take RE4 over Strikers in a heartbeat if I had to choose. But, Strikers will probably be a better investment for me than most VC games.

[quote name='screwkick']Any chance of finding this game today in stores?[/quote]On occassion I've found new Nintendo releases at WalMart on Sunday evening, but you're gonna be looking at tomorrow (Monday) evening before you're likely to find anything.

only one day. i can't wait.
and actually it's two days for me since my store won't get it till tuesday.

[quote name='buttle']only one day. i can't wait.
and actually it's two days for me since my store won't get it till tuesday.[/quote]nor will 99% of other people. It ships Monday, in stores Tuesday.

[quote name='daroga']A tourney could be fun. Everyone kick in an even amount to buy a point card and then play? I could be up for that, though I'm moving in 2 weeks... :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]
$2 Entry fee for 10 people? or $1 for 20 people? We gotta celebrate Nintendo's first try at "real" online gaming :lol:

For consoles that is.

Picking this up on Tuesday as a new video game start-up store in my area gives 10% discounts on all pre-orders with their $20 annual membership, so I've made that back in all my Wii pre-orders alone (FE, BWII, MP3, SPG, SSBB).

Does anyone know if it's been confirmed that players who disconnect will be penalized in their stats? I would jump online more with the DS, but too many wifi games there allow for disconnects without penalities and it is rampant on a lot of games (MPH, Chocobo Tales, Mario Kart) - kills the competitive spirit.

Went ahead and pre ordered my copy form amazon just now. Give this a shot being as it is one of the first online experiences for the wii.

bread's done
Back