Official Mario Strikers Charged! Discussion and FCs

I am really looking forward to this game. The first was a blast. I was playing it the other day with a friend, and towards the end of the game, the computer just scored to take the lead. We were down 1 point in a game with 3.1 seconds to go. We needed to win the game to win the tournament. I pass the ball to my buddy off the start, he walks across the mid line, I knock out the computer player, and he pulls off a perfect Super Strike with 0.7 seconds left to win the game. Now that was some fun stuff.

How fucking long does it take to connect to a rivals game? Thats all I want to fucking know, but no one is telling me. I am excited as shit for this game, but if I have to wait 2-4 minutes to connect and play like a fucking mario kart ds game I will be fucking pissed.

Best thing about this game online (and other Nintendo games presumably) - no fucking headsets. :bomb:... Sorry, just bitter about being booted from a Burnout Revenge game for not having my 360 headset plugged in (yeah, it's really necessary to talk in a racing game :roll:). I do have to admit I like the Nintendo approach for online more than MS's (with the exception of Friends Codes of course).

So, yeah, it would be nice for playing with friends or family, but for random foes it is completely unnecessary...

Are they selling this a full price? I remember Nintendo said they were going to offer the GC remakes at a discount.

I suppose they'll charge full price since they added online and some other stuff.

[quote name='trip1eX']Are they selling this a full price? I remember Nintendo said they were going to offer the GC remakes at a discount.

I suppose they'll charge full price since they added online and some other stuff.[/quote]

Technically Strikers Charged is not a GC remake. It is a sequel to a GC game. That doesn't mean that it wasn't planned for GC release in the first place, but I have never heard that it was.

RE 4 Wii is definitely a Wii-make of a GC game and it is going to retail for $30 so it seems Nintendo is true to their word in that respect.

[quote name='trip1eX']Are they selling this a full price? I remember Nintendo said they were going to offer the GC remakes at a discount.

I suppose they'll charge full price since they added online and some other stuff.[/quote]

OK, any sequel to a GC game = GC remake, got it. I will remember this logic for the future.

Yeah, I don't consider this a remake or simply a minor update - it is a new game (though with the stadiums and characters from the last one). I fully expect it to be $50. I'll have to decide if it's worth spending my rapidly depleting trade-in credit on this. Probably what I'll do is switch over my Mario & Sonic Olympics preorder (obtained via the 2-for-1 trade deal at EB ;)) to it. I think this is more of a Day 1 purchase than that title will be. For whatever reason, though, this wasn't in their preorder lists when I was choosing games for that deal. Seems like it ought to be if it is coming out so soon - but I don't think that GS date is official, so maybe that's why.

Without the online aspect I wouldn't have even considered buying this, as I felt that single-player in the original game got old pretty fast. With it, I'll probably pick this up when I can find it for around $30. Hopefully the Wii versions of Mario Baseball/Golf/Tennis will feature online multiplayer as well.

It's not a remake any more than Mario Kart 64 was a remake of Super Mario Kart, or any more than Mario Galaxy is going to be a remake of Mario 64

The online features sound more promising than most DS titles, but they are still lacking. Hopefully as others mentioned before, there won't be an insane amount of people who disconnect when they were losing like in Mario Kart DS. And if they do disconnect, let's hope it will reflect in their stats or something so they can be avoided.

^ Yeah, I know they're doing the thing with points (giving you points for winning a game and a lesser amount of points when you just finish a game even if you lose, but DEDUCTING points when you drop), but hopefully they'll also have a little "Dropped" category for us to see...just to be safe.

REGARDING ONLINE:

With a permanent friend roster keeping track of everyone's online status and game progress; extensive leaderboard data; Rival play; individual Mii-specific Friend Codes so multiple players can record their football prowess; a simple instant notification system for match requests with another online player and the option for four-man matches, with two players per Wii, there really is much to be admired with Mario Strikers inaugural online advances. Sure, Xbox Live stalwarts might complain about lack of voice chat and a good few other things, but for a first console attempt on an entirely free service we're more than happy with the feature list and smooth play. Hopefully we'll see even more from Nintendo as its online service matures, but there's absolutely no denying the massive boost Charged's online option gives to the games longevity in both multiplayer and - more significantly - solo modes.

OVERALL:

Ultimately then, Mario Strikers Charged is an evolution of the GameCube original with the game's scope somewhat limited by its very nature. In other words, don't be surprised if you grow weary of proceedings after extended play. However, by directly addressing all of the first game's shortcomings with gusto, Next Level has created a sequel which almost feels like a completely different beast. Minor tweaks and upgrades significantly bolster the game's breadth and depth, while managing to retain the original's deliriously raucous multiplayer game. With the addition of online play this time around too, Next Level has cannily overcome issues concerning the first title's single-player game. In short then, Mario Strikers Charged Football is a deeply satisfying, hugely entertaining title and highly recommended.
I am so picking this up!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/790/790253p1.html

So now our mii's get codes for online play?

regardless.... sounds like it works well. VoIP has to come eventually to get the most out of online play.

Yes I am fucking annoyed, we get Mario Party and Pokemon first, the get Mario Strikers, way to fucking go Nintendo. Ever since I heard this will have wifi I wanted this game badly, and I mean badly because I was addicted to the original. Now I count down the days until July 30th, lol.

From the U.S. IGN's hand-on preview:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/791/791726p1.html

Strikers includes a total of 17 stadiums, of which nine are brand new; the originals have all seen significant enhancements in presentation and visuals. The new stadiums include the Sand Tomb, Thunder Island, the Vice, Lava Pit, Galactic Stadium, the Wastelands, Crystal Canyon, Storm Ship Stadium and the Dump. There's also a new Strikers 101 field. These stages are brought to life with effects that actually make the most of Wii, such as shimmering heat distortion, wind storms that may actually blow characters off the edge of the arenas and fantastic lightning bolt particles, to name a few. Not only are the environments themselves much more interactive and prettier than ever before thanks to crisper textures, lighting and particles, but character animation is fluid and the game's fluidity rarely dips below 60 frames per second. It also supports both 16:9 widescreen and progressive-scan display. We see so many ugly Wii games -- really, there's no other way to describe it. Strikers Charged is absolutely not one of them.

There's some good ammo to use against the people on CAG convinced the Wii has worse graphics than the Gamecube :lol:. Can't wait to see how it compares.

Oh, and :applause: for NO voice-chat. That is the one thing that is keeping me from playing on Xbox Live. Though it would be nice for friends (just not random matches - no need whatsoever to hear what anyone says in 95% of random match games). But I can actually go online with my son with this one. We'll have to practice up (it does have the 2 players on one system thing for online games, right?).

Found out myself:

What is especially impressive about the online mode is that you can play two-on-two matches with a unique twist. If you've got a friend over your house, the two of you can cooperatively jump online from a single Wii and battle against two more people who are sitting together in another living room across the country.

Sweet!

I'm a lot more excited for this than I thought I would be. The prospect of online play sold this in my mind, and Nintendo's full support for two-player online is the real topper. I know this game doesn't have splitscreen, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Matt Cassamassina is right about a lot of things, but he is NOT right about his desire for the phasing of splitscreen modes. Playing with someone in the same room as you will forever be more entertaining than playing any number of people online. But playing with someone in the same room as you WHILE online? That is hot shit, my friends. Very hot shit indeed.

Got the game today... (through special ways, its not available in the USA yet)

Played about 20 minutes and its OK. Nothing that great though. Online is through friend codes OR random match up!
I should add the game made me update before it would even show it in the 'channel'.

[quote name='lilboo']Who do you sleep with to get these games!? Because I too am sleezy enough to put-out for things! :lol:[/QUOTE]

I have a modded Wii. The game came out in Australia and was patched quickly for NTSC system. Its a fun game but I would never buy it. I'm already bored with it as the AI is way to cheap.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Its a fun game but I would never buy it. I'm already bored with it as the AI is way to cheap.[/QUOTE]

Is the AI any different than Strikers for the 'cube? And how does control work relative to that title? That is my big question on this game... And what about the pointer-based goal blocking bit?

[quote name='io']Is the AI any different than Strikers for the 'cube? And how does control work relative to that title? That is my big question on this game... And what about the pointer-based goal blocking bit?[/quote]

There is a huge thread on neogaf with UK owners discussing Strikers Charged. The general consensus is that the single player is ok, better than Strikers (GC), but it is just a warm-up for the online portion which is a blast to play. They also said it is way deeper than it seems to be at first and takes quite a while to master.

The wiimote control is used to tackle (shaking), block Mega Shots (pointing), and messing up someone's Mega Strike meter (shaking). Other than that it is pretty straight forward - nunchuk to move player, buttons to pass, etc,.

I'm buying this game for the online alone.

[quote name='io']Is the AI any different than Strikers for the 'cube? And how does control work relative to that title? That is my big question on this game... And what about the pointer-based goal blocking bit?[/QUOTE]

Never played the Cube version. I will give it a bit more time before and then try online again.

[quote name='lebowsky']The general consensus is that the single player is ok, better than Strikers (GC), but it is just a warm-up for the online portion which is a blast to play. They also said it is way deeper than it seems to be at first and takes quite a while to master.[/quote]

That has just put this game on my radar.

If anyone gets Gamepro, before the review section I guess they do a quick interview with a different reviewer every month. This month they asked the guy what his favorite next gen game was and he said Mario Strikers Charged is his favorite game of any on all 3 next gen consoles.

Question: So what's the best next gen game you have played so far?

Answer: I'm going to go with Mario Strikers: Charged. Holy Santa Claus that game is fun, and extremely addictive. Now, keep in mind I said the game was "fun", not that it "has the best next-gen graphics" or "utilizes the system's harware to the best of it's ability" or any mumbo jumbo like that. It's just a great game. You can quote me on that.

Always a positive to hear stuff like that before a game is released.

The first time you play it, other than passing and shooting, you have no idea what the hell you're doing. It isn't until you spend a little time practicing that you're able to get a hang of what does what.

The game is really fun. There is no semblance of strategy the first time you play it though, but once you get a handle of game play mechanics it becomes really easy to get down on things.

Another thing I noticed was the music. Some of it is really aggro, but there were a couple of choices that raised my brow including one track that sounded like Justin Timberlake was about to come in. Overall though, it really works and I think the game has the potential to be the most fun game on the Wii.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up!

[quote name='io']And what about the pointer-based goal blocking bit?[/quote]
I've only been able to get that to come up once with a mega shot with Wario. After the big cinematic wind-up, it all happens really quickly. Quick nerves and fast reflexes are a must!

My friend has a Modded Wii too and I was able to spend some time playing the game. Its really a blast in multiplayer, don't know squat about the single player mode. The pointing blocking thing is pretty cool, if you can get off a fully charged B shot a meter comes up and depending on your results it determines the number of balls you kick and speed. It then shows cinematics and the screen shows the balls coming at you and you have to point at them to block them. Works pretty well.

I've never played Strikers on Cube and was able to pick up and play this quite fast. Its pretty simple. Nunchuk move, Wiimote shake for slide tackle, A pass, B shoot, D-Pad Jukes, and C was item IIRC. We had an intense 4 player game going and 3 of us were first timers. I'd recommend it for all so we can get some CAG Striker nights going!

I know on the original Strikers you could do a super shot and make two points. I saw a trailer of CHARGED and I saw that the super shot has now turned into like 5 opportunities to score goals (can score up to 5 goals in one shot). This looks ridiculous to me, if anyone has played the game please explain this new super shot to me.

Yea the charged shot goes from 2 and I believe up to 6 from what I remember, depending on your timing on the meter. It initiates the point and block thing. I'm sure once you get used to it, the blocking becomes easy. Short clip
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8G9uDW-ysA[/media]

i would have loved to have seen 4 on 4 online. with 4 kids at home home and 4 at another. but everything else about this makes me really really happy. i loved the heck out of the first one. and i'm planning to love this one as well.

the best thing about the first one was playing against other people. and now i'll be able to do that whenever i want. and the season mode sounds great. i'm expecting to be spending far too much time on that.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea the charged shot goes from 2 and I believe up to 6 from what I remember, depending on your timing on the meter. It initiates the point and block thing. I'm sure once you get used to it, the blocking becomes easy. Short clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8G9uDW-ysA[/QUOTE]

Wow that really looks stupid. I hope theres an option to remove the super duper 10 million goal shot.

[quote name='Staind204']Wow that really looks stupid. I hope theres an option to remove the super duper 10 million goal shot.[/QUOTE]

like the first one, you'll still need to charge up your shot, float in mid air, and hit the A button a couple times as a cursor slides back and forth.

that is plenty of time for someone to knock you down and steal the ball. if you want to beat the hardest level of the gamecube game, you won't want to let the computer take a single one of these shots. and you get pretty good at avoiding it.

and even when it does happen; many reviewers have said that this part of the game worried them most. but that it works. and works well.

[quote name='buttle']like the first one, you'll still need to charge up your shot, float in mid air, and hit the A button a couple times as a cursor slides back and forth.

that is plenty of time for someone to knock you down and steal the ball. if you want to beat the hardest level of the gamecube game, you won't want to let the computer take a single one of these shots. and you get pretty good at avoiding it.

and even when it does happen; many reviewers have said that this part of the game worried them most. but that it works. and works well.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so. I really didn't like the 2 shot goal on the first one either because you couldn't skip the scene of them shooting it. Oh well I'm still going to buy the game but I find a super 6 goal shot a little ridiculous.

[quote name='Staind204']I sure hope so. I really didn't like the 2 shot goal on the first one either because you couldn't skip the scene of them shooting it. Oh well I'm still going to buy the game but I find a super 6 goal shot a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
The super shot mechanic is nothing to be afraid of. It takes fine timing to be able to pull it off and even when it is, I'm sure everyone will be experts in blocking it a week after playing online.

So now that the threads official, can we expect the OP to list the friend codes in it as well? :D

[quote name='CouRageouS']The super shot mechanic is nothing to be afraid of. It takes fine timing to be able to pull it off and even when it is, I'm sure everyone will be experts in blocking it a week after playing online.

So now that the threads official, can we expect the OP to list the friend codes in it as well? :D[/quote]You bet:
[quote name='botticus']

The first Wi-Fi game for those of us without Pokemon is due to arrive on July 30th, and there will be much rejoicing. Luckily we won't have to deal with all those Europeans who have already perfected every aspect of the online arena, cause it's region-locked.

Once the game is out, I'll set this thread up for everybody's favorite friend code exchange.[/quote]

[quote name='Staind204']I sure hope so. I really didn't like the 2 shot goal on the first one either because you couldn't skip the scene of them shooting it. Oh well I'm still going to buy the game but I find a super 6 goal shot a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

oh yea. especially when you get the shot perfect on both the left and the right. it takes forever. they definitly should have allowed you to skip it.

It may be a little early but are there any good pre order deals for this yet? I hope somewhere at least has it for $5-10 off on release day :)

I don't think theres any deals yet, but at EB the other day, the chick said the computer is asking for $10 when reserving this or Metroid and suggested there might be a bonus for preordering. I doubt it though, we're less than a month away and not even a mention of a free soccer ball.

Yeah, I've had it on pre-order for a few months now at Gamestop. They wanted $10.00 to reserve it, a pre-order bonus would definitely be nice.

Anyone psyched about this? Anyone ready to maintain a friend code list (again :p) ;)

I was on the fence about tgetting this but now a good friend is going to be crashing at our place for a night the week it comes out so I think I pretty much have to get it. I can't wait to play some CAGs online, although there's no voice chat on the Wii yet, is there?

Folks with 360s need to exchange gamertags and yak via a private chat on there while we play Strikers. ;)

I didn't know if I'd be interested in this or not, but after this line near the end of 1up's review I think I'll give it a shot:
[quote name='1up.com']Charged seems like an amped-up, carnivalized reincarnation of Nintendo's own classic Ice Hockey.[/QUOTE]
Ice Hockey was THE multiplayer game for me on the NES.

Great idea to use the 360 for voice while playing on the Wii. Will have to give that a shot when the time comes.

[quote name='daroga']Anyone psyched about this? Anyone ready to maintain a friend code list (again :p) ;)

I was on the fence about tgetting this but now a good friend is going to be crashing at our place for a night the week it comes out so I think I pretty much have to get it. I can't wait to play some CAGs online, although there's no voice chat on the Wii yet, is there?

Folks with 360s need to exchange gamertags and yak via a private chat on there while we play Strikers. ;)[/quote]

I am, I'm picking it up on day one. I've been waiting for this one for a while, and I'd like to play some 2 vs 2 matches with my girlfriend versus a CAG and his girlfriend/wife.

[quote name='yukine']I am, I'm picking it up on day one. I've been waiting for this one for a while, and I'd like to play some 2 vs 2 matches with my girlfriend versus a CAG and his girlfriend/wife.[/QUOTE]

No girlfirend here and my wife won't play, but you can play against me and my son! He always wants to play online on the 360 but I don't have a gold account for him. Hooray for free online with none of this $50 gold membership crap (for EACH person on your 360 - to hook up my whole family I'd need 4 gold memberships and that ain't happening).

bread's done
Back