Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
With MGS4 nearing release, please keep articles and links to other sites with spoilers and important info to post just the link with a warning, vague descriptions, and if you must discuss it here, use spoiler tags (
[/ spoiler], remove space) so that don't ruin these surprises for everyone that wishes to not be spoiled.
pc12801024kl7.jpg

Release Date: 6/12/2008
Official Site: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mgs4_inte/en/

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is the final chapter in the saga of Solid Snake which sends him around the world in pursuit of his arch nemesis, Liquid Ocelot. Armed with new gadgets and abilities, Solid Snake must shift the tides of war into his favor, using the chaos of the battlefield to infiltrate deep into enemy territory. In his globetrotting final mission, Snake must sneak deep into enemy locations in the Middle East, South America, and other corners of the earth to foil Liquid Ocelot’s plans for total world domination.

Trailers (or visit the official site and click on trailers or new features)

MGS4 Teaser Trailer
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx5xnf-TbIA[/media]

E3 2006 (full trailer)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9GgZERaIA[/media]

TGS 2006
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKcfigB2xI0[/media]

E3 2007
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3xdzi6F1lg[/media]

20th Metal Gear Anniversary Party Gameplay Walkthrough
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOGB1LqnUc[/media]

Games Convention 2007
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnbzq8euY98[/media]

TGS 2007
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T95tD3Cz9LA[/media]

April Fool's Assassin's Creed MGS4 Trailer
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2P90nYI3EU[/media]

indextopmo2.jpg

Release Date: 6/12/2008 (MGO Starter Pack included with MGS4)
Official Site: http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/index.html
Players: 2-16

MGO Beta Info:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/02/28/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-faq/

Following this week’s announcements regarding Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on the PLAYSTATION 3, a lot of questions popped up in the comments area of the PlayStation.Blog. We put together this FAQ to address your concerns:

Q: When is the game shipping to retail?
A: The game is scheduled to arrive at retail stores in North America on June 12, 2008.

Q: What’s in the Metal Gear Online Starter Pack?
A: The Metal Gear Online Starter Pack, included with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, is a squad-based, online multiplayer tactical shooter that supports up to 16 players and takes place in the Metal Gear Solid universe.

Q: When is the Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test?
A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test is scheduled to begin on April 21, 2008.

Q: How long will the Metal Gear Online beta test run?
A: The Metal Gear Online multiplayer beta test will run for approximately 2 weeks.

Q: Where can I get the pre-sell?
A: The pre-sell program will be available nationwide at all major retailers.

Q: Is there a time frame for the pre-order to gain access to the beta? When does the pre-order period begin?
A: The pre-order will begin April 2008. Check with your local retailer on availability.

Q: Is there any special process that consumers must go through to verify their participation in the beta?
A: When the pre-order program begins in April 2008, consumers who pre-order Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots will receive the Metal Gear Saga 2.0 DVD, containing a Prologue that recaps the Metal Gear franchise, a 20th Anniversary retrospective, character bios for Big Boss, Liquid Snake, Solidus Snake, and Solid Snake, plus a collection of international trailers of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This pre-order package also contains an insert with a download code and special instructions for accessing the Metal Gear Online beta test when it goes live in late April.

Q: How many people will be allowed to participate in the Metal Gear Online beta test?
A: The special Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots pre-order package (which includes the insert with the Metal Gear Online download code) will only be available while supplies last.

Q: How do consumers who have already pre-ordered participate in the beta?
A: Consumers will need to contact their local retailer for more information.

Q: Will consumers who don’t pre-order have any chance to join the beta?
A: If additional promotional partners are secured, there is a possibility of making beta access available, but nothing is confirmed at this time.

[quote name='"What is MGO?"']
Metal Gear Online (MGO), the multiplayer experience that combines the rich Metal Gear Solid universe with online combat, returns exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3!

img01_01.jpg

MGO carries over the backdrop and control system of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4) to original online maps and game modes, with future downloadable expansion packs (planned to be released after official service begins) adding additional maps, characters, and other features.

img01_02.jpg

Among the new components this time around are battles featuring up to 16 players, and the SOP System, allowing for enhanced squad communication. Close cooperation is essential to survival on the battlefield!
[/quote]
[quote name='"Why play MGO?"']
subtitle_02_01.gif

In addition to all-new environments, journey back to classic locales from the original MGO and MGS games. Forthcoming expansion packs take the action to even more diverse battlegrounds!

subtitle_02_02.gif

New game rules join online staples like Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture Mission!

subtitle_02_03.gif

Expect a multitude of communication features, an essential component of any online game. From the all-encompassing SOP system to a deep support network bringing players closer together off the battlefield, MGO has you covered!

subtitle_02_04.gif

The SOP System allows you to visually share information among your squad by linking your internal nanomachines. Information like your teammates' positions, status, and even who they're engaging with will all be provided to you in real-time. It also works through walls, letting you identify individuals by their digital silhouette.

Gain the upper hand by scanning your enemy team's link and share their information with your comrades.

In this MGO, intercommunication and adaptive teamwork decide the outcome!

img02_01.jpg

subtitle_02_05.gif

Also included is keyboard chat and voice chat support.

Of course, MGO's trademark preset Codec messages are back as well!

img02_02.jpg

subtitle_02_06.gif

On the battlefield, you need somebody watching your back. No more flying solo. Now thanks to MGO's easy-to-use Friend Registration system, it's easy to send friend invites to people you've fought alongside with. And keep in touch with your new comrades outside of the game using our mail and SNS communication systems.
[/quote]
[quote name='"Who is in MGO?"']
subtitle_03_01.gif

Your first task after enlisting is to create your MGO alter ego. Design your own unique character from dozens of possible combinations, and keep an eye out for additional gear updates!

img03_01.jpg

subtitle_03_02.gif

Intel indicates the presence of Old Snake and Metal Gear Mk.II somewhere on the battlefield... What other Metal Gear characters might be lurking in the shadows?

img03_02.jpg

subtitle_03_03.gif

In the new MGO, combat gets an upgrade from a maximum of 8 to now 16 players -- trusted allies in team games, or heated rivals in solo play! The more players on the ground, the more intense the action.

img03_03.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='"How can I play MGO?"']
MGO is made up of a starter pack and expansion packs.

Included with MGS4, the starter pack offers players a first bite of what awaits in the new MGO, while various expansion packs (planned to be released periodically after official service begins) will add additional maps, characters, and other features.

Details of the expansion pack release schedule will be announced at a later date.

subtitle_04_01.gif

The MGO starter pack contains 5 maps in addition to the match rules and communication features fundamental to MGO.

subtitle_04_02.gif

Ambush Alley

A corner of a war-shattered town littered with obstacles, its central intersection branching off into side streets.

img04_01.jpg

Gronznyj Grad

The now abandoned weapons factory that housed the Shagohod in Metal Gear Solid 3. Contains open areas offering unobstructed views as well as indoor and rooftop locations.

img04_02.jpg

Midtown Maelstrom

This Middle Eastern battleground features avenues crisscrossed with alleyways.

img04_03.jpg

Urban Ultimatum

Negotiate buildings of varying height in this city under siege.

img04_04.jpg

Blood Bath

A kill house consisting of both surface and underground areas.

img04_05.jpg
[/quote]
[quote name='"Where do I connect?"']To be continued.[/quote]
[quote name='"When can I play?"']To be continued.[/quote]

This is unsurprising to me. "Wow, the gameplay looks like the trailors!!!1" Big whoop. MGS always does that.

Somebody call me when there's a new trailor.

(oh, you know I'm kidding...I eat up anything MGS. Thanks, OP!)

I gave up on Metal gear when Hideo started taking lines while writing the endings to his games. I'll rent this in hopes of a comeback to the greatness of Ps1 Metal Gear solid.

[quote name='Morpheus']Add these movies to the main topic:

MGS4 Part 1
http://rapidshare.de/files/33928643/39235400.asf.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PO6LccFj5E
http://www.gameklip.com/v/1531
http://users.skynet.be/fa036594/MSG4.TGS06.1.wmv

MGS4 Part 2
http://rapidshare.de/files/33928716/39235401.asf.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodV-7n7HxU
http://www.gameklip.com/v/1532
http://users.skynet.be/fa036594/MSG4.TGS06.2.wmv

Got them off of GAF. :D[/quote]
Thanks for the links, but someone on GameSpot uploaded the entire video for viewing, so I linked to that instead. I included links to the videos that can be downloaded, though. Nice job.

Added a link to the official trailer that IGN has uploaded, which has some more to it after the others ended. It is nice to see some humor in this trailer after the others have been depressing to say the least.

I'm wondering who that last guy that appeared at the end of the trailer is?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Added a link to the official trailer that IGN has uploaded, which has some more to it after the others ended. It is nice to see some humor in this trailer after the others have been depressing to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

it's a little too obviouse. Young Solid Snake. My hunch is that this time around it's a new clone... heck it's already happened in the Ac!d universe so it only makes sense.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Added a link to the official trailer that IGN has uploaded, which has some more to it after the others ended. It is nice to see some humor in this trailer after the others have been depressing to say the least.

[/QUOTE]

My guess?
A new clone, set up to be the "new" Snake. After MGS2, The Patriots might think they can fuse meme with gene perfectly, and thus a new BB clone is crafted...and his first mission is to take down Outer Heaven, the one place opposing their power. Whether we'll play as him or not, I dunno.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']My guess?
A new clone, set up to be the "new" Snake. After MGS2, The Patriots might think they can fuse meme with gene perfectly, and thus a new BB clone is crafted...and his first mission is to take down Outer Heaven, the one place opposing their power. Whether we'll play as him or not, I dunno.
[/quote]
Maybe, but he didn't have much resemblance to Snake or Big Boss, so maybe he's still another imperfect clone. As for playing him, I'm not sure. We've already got Old Snake and Raiden with a large supporting cast, so I guess we'll see what's up in future trailers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Maybe, but he didn't have much resemblance to Snake or Big Boss, so maybe he's still another imperfect clone. As for playing him, I'm not sure. We've already got Old Snake and Raiden with a large supporting cast, so I guess we'll see what's up in future trailers.
[/QUOTE]

Well,
His hair looks like BB's at the start of MGS3...who knows? After watching it again, I've got another idea, though: the young face is just camoflague for some reason (Kojima toying with us, maybe?). Just look at the start of the trailer...we know the face camoflagues, too.

Oh, I thought the snake at the end was proof that the Old snake isnt the real snake. AND that this takes place before MGS1 and when Snake from MGS1 is younger. Old snake is just big boss(?)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
Oh, I thought the snake at the end was proof that the Old snake isnt the real snake. AND that this takes place before MGS1 and when Snake from MGS1 is younger. Old snake is just big boss(?)
[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'm calling it: don't read nay more posts in this thread without watching the trailer, if you care. I'm tired of spoiler tags.

*ahem*

No, Old Snake is not fake. This definitely takes place after MGS2. Kojima has OFFICIALLY said this, and there are elements (an older Ocelot w/ Liquid's hand) that prove it. Do your homework, son.

Michaellvortega - how the HELL is that hinted at? I'd like to hear your take on it...sounds crazy, but I'd like to hear it.

I'm thinking Snake does kill himself, like hinted in the E3 '06 trailer, but he is later cloned, making the Young Snake we see in the end of this trailer. After all, legends have to die... to make way for new ones. The only thing is I'm not into the mythos so much to vouch whether or not Old Snake's DNA is cloneable or is prime material to clone to being with, considering he himself is a clone.

Just watched the trailer. I totally dug it. Unlike the DMC4 trailer that just looks like DMC3 with prettier graphics, this actually give you a better sense of what the new gameplay elements will be. I totally dug the camo suit, since it takes away from the unrealism of MGS3 where you could change your clothes and face paint instantaneously, and I also really liked being able to hide in a barrel to shield you from bullets, and then roll the barrel into enemies. Neat! It seems to be a natural progression form MGS3: Subsistence and I look forward to what other new mechanics Snake will have to use to survive the urban environment. Also, game sure does look pretty.

On a side note, I really hate that Sony can afford to be complete jackasses, and yet we still feel compelled to buy their products. Damn them!

[quote name='zewone']I don't see how people can ever doubt Hideo about his trailers not looking like his gameplay.[/QUOTE]

They've been doing it for years, but people never learn. *sigh*

http://www.gamespot.com/events/tgs2006/story.html?sid=6158568&pid=926596&tag=top_stories;title;0
Moving on, Kojima took the second half of his presentation to talk about Metal Gear Solid 4. By this time, Konami's booth was crowded by fans like "penguins during spawning period," as Kojima put it. Showing off the new TGS 2006 trailer, Kojima confirmed that all the scenes were created with real-time rendering, similarly to the trailer from last year's TGS. He also mentioned that the Electronic Entertainment Expo trailer from May (also done in real time) will be used as a part of the game's opening sequence when the game is completed.

"We've finally started to figure out the PS3, and we've decided on [MGS4's] game systems," said Kojima. "Back with last year's TGS trailer, we were still trying to learn the PS3's potentials. Now that we've figured out what we want to do, all we have to do now is to create it."

Pointing to the trailer, Kojima talked about the new high-tech camouflage suit that Snake is now wearing, which changes its colors in real time and blends Snake into his environment. The suit is called an "octo-cam," which derives from the words "octopus" and "camouflage." Kojima explained that, while it's very little known, the octopus is one of the sneakiest creatures in nature, and it even beats chameleons when it comes to disguise. While a chameleon can only change its color to match its environment, an octopus can not only mimic its environment color, but also change its shape accordingly.

"The real skill in hiding is to avoid the most obvious places like lockers or underneath tables, because that's the kind of place that people would search first. It's best to hide in places that are already visible, because nobody would care to notice it. For example, people would search a locker that's closed, but they wouldn't check a locker that's already halfway opened. You can just hide in a dead angle of it," said Kojima.

"Up until now in the MGS series, your body was completely hidden [in places like lockers and desks]. But in MGS4, you'll be hiding in a new way. In previous MGS games, you would've hid behind pillars so that enemies couldn't see you. But in MGS4, you'd be standing in front of the pillars and using the octo-cam to blend into it."

Kojima then presented a number of slides and showed how the developers have been traveling all over the world to gather research material for MGS4, including the Middle East, South America, and Eastern Europe. "Snake is going to be going all around the world like Hitchcock or 007 [James Bond]...We've visited normal homes [in villages] as well as various locations like an iron foundry, underground passageways, warships, and military facilities."

The developers are also making sure that the battle tactics in MGS4 are as good as and even better than previous installments. Once again, the developers went under a training course with former SWAT instructor Motosada Mouri, who's been the military adviser for the MGS series and helped out in creating the Close Quarter Combat system (CQC) in MGS3. Visitors to the Konami booth got to see some video of Kojima and other staffs infiltrating a house and putting on camouflage makeup to challenge Mouri on a survival mission.

"I've kept shooting at him, but it was like he's invincible. He caught us all. I think he wears an infinite bandana," Kojima joked to his fans.

There's no question that MGS4 has more detailed graphics than its predecessors, especially due to its shift to high definition on the PS3. But Kojima is adding detail to Snake's movement as much as he is to the game's overall graphics. For example, if a bullet comes flying at Snake's face, he'll automatically sway his head and dodge it. Kojima assured the crowd that it won't be anything that would affect the game's difficulty level.

In terms of realism, Kojima is also taking on a new challenge in MGS4. Up until now, characters in the MGS series were all fictional, and while Snake might've been inspired by John Carpenter's Escape From New York, his look was still original. That's about to take a shift in MGS4. For the first time in the series, the game will feature a group of characters that are all based on real-life people. Kojima avoided giving too much information since the reason behind it is going to be a huge surprise, but he showed off a model sample of actress Yumi Kikuchi, who will be in the game as the "Japanese representative." Kikuchi was hosting Kojima's stage presentation at TGS, and she also plays Kojima's partner role in his Internet radio drama series, "Idea Spy: Operation 2.5."

In terms of music, Kojima confirmed that MGS4's scores will once again be created by Harry Gregson-Williams, who provided the excellent soundtracks for the previous two MGS titles. The TGS 2006 trailer music (titled "Old Snake") was one of his works.

"Gregory-san had a lot of movie projects like The Chronicles of Narnia, so we thought it wouldn't be possible for him [to take on MGS4]. But he's watched the E3 trailer like 50 times, and he said he wanted to do it," said Kojima.

The stage event also gave Kojima the opportunity to show off Metal Gear Solid 4's official logo, which was created by Logan, a production studio famous for its works on TV spots including iPod, Volkswagen, and Xbox.

Logan's Alex Tylevich appeared on stage and commented that Kojima wanted a classic taste to MGS4's logo but with a touch of modernism. Kojima added that he wanted a new look to the logo since he considered this to be the new beginning of the MGS series, as the previous stories have already concluded as a trilogy.

Kojima also revealed that the intro sequence for MGS4 will be done by Logan, replacing Kyle Cooper who worked on the previous two installments. The intro sequence of MGS3 let users control the screen, but according to Kojima, MGS4 is going to be even better and startling. "The customer-service phone line is going to be flooded with calls, and I'm going to get fired," joked Kojima.

Whatever the intro will be like, Kojima's idea behind it was big enough to even get developers jumping out of their seats. According to MGS4 codirector Shuyou Murata, "I totally flipped out when I heard about it. It's going to be like a promotional video, but there's going to be more to it."

Logan's Alex Tylevich was tight about releasing any details, but he gave some first hints, commenting, "It's going to be highly unusual for a video game opening. It's going to be very futuristic."

Metal Gear Solid 4 is slated for a 2007 release, so there's still plenty of time before gamers will get their hands on it. Meanwhile, fans can start preregistering to Konami's new Metal Gear community site that's tentatively named "Metal Gear My Page," scheduled to launch in December. Fans can create their own blogs, communicate with each other, upload contributions, and also collect "Kojima Fan Points" to expand the services they can use.

Kojima also mentioned that MGS4 merchandise is already underway. As one of the products, he introduced an "Old Snake" action figure with moveable parts, which will be released by Medicom Toy. The figure is created under direct supervision of MGS series graphic designer Yoji Shinkawa.
:drool:

The thing I disliked is I have yet to see anyone make edges correctly on buildings. Where snake is hunched over with the M4A1 The texture needs to be corrected(maybe bump mapped?) and the lines are too hard, I personally would be ashamed to show that screenshot. I do think the character models are top notch and Im interested to see how the HD camera eyetoy works with the models. I pray they decide to NOT use the tilting control BS. :roll: I hate reading the interviews from the PS3 DEVs and they are trying to explain how they plan to use the tilt feature. I'd much rather have rumble. Even if MS bought 1/4 of the rumble company Sony should have bought a lisence.

about the guy at the end
i dunno how this is even possible, but i read that the guy at the end might be Gray Fox, being that he was a cyborg and dead the last time we saw him it would be pretty difficult, but u never know with Kojima

[quote name='Michaellvortega']The thing I disliked is I have yet to see anyone make edges correctly on buildings. Where snake is hunched over with the M4A1 The texture needs to be corrected(maybe bump mapped?) and the lines are too hard, I personally would be ashamed to show that screenshot. I do think the character models are top notch and Im interested to see how the HD camera eyetoy works with the models. I pray they decide to NOT use the tilting control BS. :roll: I hate reading the interviews from the PS3 DEVs and they are trying to explain how they plan to use the tilt feature. I'd much rather have rumble. Even if MS bought 1/4 of the rumble company Sony should have bought a lisence.[/quote]
I'm sure that edge completely ruins the game for you and gets rid of any potential fun that you would've had. I'd love to be snapping necks with the controller, though having rumble along with it would have made it even better.

Yeah the edge does ruin it, everything else looks super good and then you see a mis textured geometry. Does it make me not want to buy the game? No but they could have fixed that real quick.

Maybe Sony should just skip this generation and move on to making the Holodeck a reality for 2009.

You do realize that this game doesn't come out for another year and not next week, right? Your posts make it seem like they don't have time to fix or enhance any part of the game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You do realize that this game doesn't come out for another year and not next week, right? Your posts make it seem like they don't have time to fix or enhance any part of the game.[/quote]

Yea but when the quality went down, its kind of weird thinking of it go back up again.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea but when the quality went down, its kind of weird thinking of it go back up again.[/quote]
I haven't noticed any kind of quality drop at all in any of the trailers.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']The thing I disliked is I have yet to see anyone make edges correctly on buildings. Where snake is hunched over with the M4A1 The texture needs to be corrected(maybe bump mapped?) and the lines are too hard, I personally would be ashamed to show that screenshot. I do think the character models are top notch and Im interested to see how the HD camera eyetoy works with the models. I pray they decide to NOT use the tilting control BS. :roll: I hate reading the interviews from the PS3 DEVs and they are trying to explain how they plan to use the tilt feature. I'd much rather have rumble. Even if MS bought 1/4 of the rumble company Sony should have bought a lisence.[/quote]

Tilting is probably going to be the replacement for leaning with the L2 and R2 buttons in first person. And probably to do those strange actions like belly flopping and tipp the barrel over and rolling people over.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Tilting is probably going to be the replacement for leaning with the L2 and R2 buttons in first person. And probably to do those strange actions like belly flopping and tipp the barrel over and rolling people over.[/QUOTE]

I hope tilting replaces R2/L2 leaning in first-person...that was always kind of annoying. Otherwise, when in third person, I assume tilting will make him roll when he's laying down.

And I agree with FriskyTanuki...I haven't noticed any drop in quality in any of the trailers.

I hope with the more open ACTION or STEALH system the enemy AI is not completely stupid and nearsighted like every other MG. I understand not wanting to make the game too hard but terrorist with the attention span of a goldfish and the hiding in plain sight just 12 feet away when the terrorist can only see 6 feet in front of him is stupid now.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I haven't noticed any kind of quality drop at all in any of the trailers.[/quote]

Did you see my picture example?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Did you see my picture example?[/quote]
Yeah, but I'm not seeing much of a difference. I'll give you the fact that the mustache and hair look better in the newer pic, but other than that, they're too different to really make any kind of discerning judgement. Your second pic is a poorly chosen comparison since the background is blurry. Plus, screenshots routinely look worse than actual gameplay, so I hardly ever grade the graphical quality of a game by screenshots.

There's a reason why I said that I haven't seen much of a difference in quality in the trailers since screenshots are usually poor in quality compared to trailers and gameplay videos.

Wow looks good. I like the idea that it's in the real world instead of in some base or lab out in the middle no where. Then again, I haven't played MGS3, I should pick it up one of these days.

I think the huge twist is that snake is in the matrix and he gets out by killing himself...

And what's with Liquid and Ocelot and that arm...I was thinking if Ocelot was touching his peepee and then Liquid came into control...can't imagine what Liquid would say:D

bread's done
Back