Paypal screwed me! UPDATE MARCH.11 2008, A NEW COLLECTION AGENCY IS CALLING!

magiic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
144 (100%)
The Original Post:

I sold a ps3 on ebay. Mailed it off (along side 3 others and a Wii all packaged the same way) it arrived at it's destination "damaged" according to the buyer. The buyer states that the box is damaged and that he wants a full refund of the auction closing price. The package was insured but the seller refuses to take the insurance route. He let slip that he intended to sell this to a friend but now said friend no longer wants it because the box is damaged. He filed a claim with paypal now. I think what's happened here is he was going to sell it but his friend came to his senses because it's so easy to get ps3's in stores now and just bought one at a human being price or decided paying his buddy more than the 1025USD he paid for it was ridiculous. So the claim is currently under review by paypal. Am I screwed or is paypal going to actually see through this guys bullshit and make him claim the insurance if he wants his money back.

Updates...

December.5th 2006
dispute opened with paypal

January.25th 2007
paypal rules against me buyer has to refundJust got the e-mail today AFTER OVER TWO fuckING MONTHS of waiting. And they decided to rule in favour of the buyer. So I have to refund his money and he will probably send me back either a perfectly fine ps3 or one beaten to shit with a hammer just as him being a jackass. It's been too long for me to get a refund or file for insurance now. This is completely unacceptable on paypals behalf as I have done nothing wrong.

February.3rd
magiic gets mono :(

February.6th
I can't believe it. After all this the guy never sent paypal a tracking number within the ten day limit they set so the case is closed. My account is unlocked for all those funds. I can't believe the bullet I dodged there. w000t

February.13th (I still have mono :()
The playstation 3 just showed up at my door about 10 minutes ago. I refused it though. It was going to cost me $185 to accept the package. And I had no real way of telling if it was actually a ps3.

Note: I had the pleasure of answering the door when the UPS guy came wearing only my boxers and after having not showered in probably a week as I was still mostly bed ridden from mono. Poor UPS guy. Plus I had to decide what the fuck to do with this package while heavily medicated. I just declined because I certainly did not have $180 something cash on me.

February.19th (still sick :()
I just checked my paypal account. Apparently the buyer appealed the case (After it closed because he failed to meet paypals terms). So now as of Valentines Day (Feb.14) the case is back under review. Fortunately my account wasn't refrozen for the $1025USD. I've emptied my account now again though. I had like $300USD in my paypal account I'd rather not lose.

EDIT: I just noticed it said that the SELLER appealed the case. WTF is going on here.

February.20th (still having the mono :()
PayPal has concluded the investigation of your claim.

Transaction Details
------------------------------
Transaction Date: Nov 20, 2006
Transaction Amount: -$1,025.00 USD
Your Transaction ID: *****
Buyer's Transaction ID: ******
Case Number: *****
Buyer's Name: ---
Buyer's Email: -----
------------------------------

The buyer has provided the following valid tracking information to verify
shipment of merchandise to you.

Tracking Number: 1Z W69 9W9 68 4338 184 3
Shipping Company: UPS

Since the tracking information shows the merchandise was delivered to you,
we request that you send the buyer a full refund for the transaction. It is
against our User Agreement for you to possess both the item and the money;
therefore, we are respectfully requesting that you process this refund
within three days. Failure to do will result in PayPal returning the funds
on your behalf to the buyer.

------------------------

This is unbelievable. They even acknowledge that it has been refused so they know I don't have it. Although they haven't froze my money again. Nor did they reverse my withdrawl of funds. And the case is no longer showing in my resolution centre. But seriously WTF I can't wrap my head around this anymore. Check out the tracking on the package, there is a short novel written about this package. I can't understand half of what it says but it still says it's in the province.

I'm going to give it a day or two to see what happens. Then call paypal.

February.24th (not as sick anymore :))
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Paypal just refunded him all of his money. So my account has a huge negative balance again. I need to call paypal now. Any idea what I should do to outline my case so I get the money back.

February.24th (e-mail to paypal)
Dear Genevieve/Whomever It May Concern,

I am e-mailing in response to the e-mail I received stating that a refund had been issued on my behalf in regards to case number PP-***-***-*** involving myself and a Mr. ******. This refund has been issued in error as the last e-mail I received before the one stating a refund had been issued stated that I was in violation of Paypal's user agreement by being in possession of both the item in question (ONE Playstation 3) and Mr.****'s money at the same time. However according the same e-mail Paypal acknowledged that the package had been refused as per the UPS tracking number (1Z W69 9W9 68 4338 184 3). The status of the package can be checked at http://www.ups.com to show that I do not in fact have the item in my possession. The reason I refused the package was that Mr.**** failed to follow Paypal's guidelines for mailing the package back to me. As per Paypal's guidelines he was required to mail the package back in it's original condition and he was to cover all costs in mailing it back. Unfortunately Mr.***** neglected to do this and when the item arrived at my place of residence the UPS Delivery Personnel informed me that there was $187.52CAD COD (Cash on Delivery). As such I refused the package because Mr.**** was required to return the package to me at ZERO expense to myself. He failed to do such and as a result I informed the UPS representative that I wished to "Return To Sender" the package. The tracking number for this package confirms that I refused the package and that it is not in my possession. Currently you have issued a refund to Mr.* on false pretences that I have the item hand, however Mr.***** is currently the one in violation of Paypal's User Agreement as he now has the money in hand and will soon have the item in hand as well. As stated in the last e-mail an individual cannot be in possession of both the item and the money therefore I respectfully request that the refund be reversed and my Paypal account be returned to a balance of $0.00 as it was before the refund was issued.

Thank You,
Respectfully,
Ryan Laker

March.6 (almost my birthday, hooray!)
Forgot to update this for anyone still interested in the status of my (mis)adventure with paypal. I called paypal a few days ago and talked to someone who looked at my stuff and said she had passed it on to the appeals department and someone from there would get back to me. So I am awaiting to here back on that. Im giving them till friday before I call again.

March.9 (my birthday:applause:, happy 17th to me)
I just checked my paypal account and the claim has shown back up and is "Under Review". I was going to call them but it says they need no further info from me and will contact me if they require any so I guess I will leave it for now.

March.13
I just filed a complaint with the BBB. I'm hoping maybe they can speed this up as one poster suggested.

March.15
Well I got an e-mail back from the BBB saying they have contacted Paypal and have given paypal 20 days to provide a written response which they will forward to me. Guess we will see what happens next. I hope this gets sorted out soon. I really don't feel like opening up a third bank account so I can use paypal again.

March.20
So I got an e-mail from paypal yesterday morning requesting I send them proof of the COD charges so I did. I called UPS talked to a UPS representative who faxed me all the invoice stuff from the package. Then I made up a coversheet as per paypals e-mail faxed it to them literally within in hour of them requesting. Last night after work I check my account and the case is gone. They denied my appeal and closed it. I am thinking of calling them and asking WHAT THE fuck IS GOING ON. Still no word from the BBB in regards to my complaint against paypal either.

March.20 (later)
Ugh Paypal just re-opened the case saying they have recieved my documents. I swear to god one hand never knows what the other is doing over there.

March.29
I got Paypals response from the BBB. They basically told me in one page that I am fucked and I can take it up with UPS or eBay. They completely ignored the CoD charge claim and made no mention of the fact that I faxed in the proof of the CoD charges they requested and just said that I refused it because claimed I never ordered (thats what it said on the UPS tracking). I sent a response back to the BBB again about the CoD thing and also how I faxed them the info they requested yet they have still done nothing. I'm waiting for a response from Paypal or the BBB now.

April.4
Got an e-mail from the BBB telling me paypal says Im SOL. So I'm just going to give up on this I think. Paypal isn't getting a dime out of me. Paypal still says my case is being reived though in my account resolution center.

April.11
Well it's over now. Paypal has decided once and for all I lose. Game over. They sent me an e-mail saying Im fucked in a few paragraphs. What irks me though is they completely ignored the stuff I faxed into them. Didnt even mention the failure of the buyer to pay all shipping and handling fees along with marking it as a return. So whatever, the guy got a free PS3 that pisses me off but I didnt lose any money and they won't get a dime out of me. So if they want their money back they can get it from the buyer. Also to anyone wishing to block him his ebay ID is.... acosta2007

April.12
I'm pretty choked. I'm closing my bank account today at lunch.
I also e-mailed them telling them they may aswell close my account because they won't get a dime from me. Doubt they will though. I'll probably start another paypal account but it will be strictly for buying or stuff or selling on CAG. I don't think I will be selling on ebay anymore. Just not worth the risk.

May.16
Just got an e-mail saying it's my last warning before the pursue other collection remedies. I have ten days apparently.

July.12
I got a call from collections today. Well actually it was from a gentleman from Quebec who had business to discuss with me regarding case # something something something. I'm positive it's collections as there is no other reason someone from Quebec would be calling and asking for to discuss "important business". Glad no one answered it, we shall continue to ignore calls from them I think for now. See where it goes.

March.11 2008

I got a call from a new collections agency today. This time they are located in a real province (Ontario). I guess we'll see what comes of it. It was an automated message about "important business matters"

Yes and no.

If he wins the claim he is required to send the item back to you before his money is returned.

My suggestion is to actually call up USPS and file a claim, given the cost of the item they should start harassing him about the condition it was recieved in. Hopefully he'll crack and then you can fax paypal the USPS report.

I've heard all he has to do is send a package with delivery confirmation. Paypal just wants to know it's been delivered he could send a box full of newspaper or popcorn and paypal would still refund his money.

[quote name='magiic']I've heard all he has to do is send a package with delivery confirmation. Paypal just wants to know it's been delivered he could send a box full of newspaper or popcorn and paypal would still refund his money.[/quote]
Except that the PS3 weights more than that. They'd have to actually put in some old text books or something. But yeah they could try that.

I hope you managed to withdraw all the money from your paypal account.

If you insured the package, you have to file the claim. I would start the claim process with USPS or whatever carrier you sent by. If the buyer tried to file a claim through paypal and he wins just close out your paypal account and open another one... simple as that.

zion's post is good advice. Definitely contact the USPS straight away and ask what you can do to get an insurance claim rolling.

[quote name='magiic']I've heard all he has to do is send a package with delivery confirmation. Paypal just wants to know it's been delivered he could send a box full of newspaper or popcorn and paypal would still refund his money.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he could. If he does file mail fraud on his ass. For something this big I'd file the charge in person if at all possible and keep bugging them about it. I'd also contact his local police.

He could also send a package with DC to another address in your zip code. It would show as delivered for PayPal and you'd never even see what he sent. The guy who gets the package (let's assume it's a box made to look like some sort of junk mail) would more than likely just pitch it without a 2nd thought. I had a buyer pull that shit on me once. But maybe for this amount of money PayPal would require he send it signature required? That would hopefully prevent this...

Of course, he could also just jump on the box a few times and then it really would be damaged to send back. (Have the USPS inspect what you get back to see if they can determine how it was damaged. I assume they do that for insured packages?)

But hopefully he won't pull anything like these scenarios.

Ya I have to file the claim but I can't even start filing it without the ps3 as I need to take it to CP or mail it to them. And I have a funny feeling I won't ever actually be seeing this ps3 again.

If you sent something that expensive without a signature confirmation, you were making a huge mistake.

Plus, at the insurance value you placed on it, the USPS should have required a signature for it. If you didn't get a signature confirmation, you're not likely to get a copy of the signature.

I think it's iffy on what Paypal would do, though if it's damaged, I'd file the insurance claim, and the first thing the USPS will do is ask for the item back from the receipient, theoretically in the condition he received it in.

Yeah like others have said i'd invest in some KY-Jelly. Then i'd contact the UPS and Paypal and inform them both of the situation and start the insurance process NOW. Make sure to give the post office a detailed description and start printing and keeping copies of every letter you send to this person and everything he sends to you.

Then ask for pictures of the box and the damage. Don't act defensive. Check to see what the procedures are for insurance. Don't know how they handle it.

OP, my advice to you is post this on the ebay.com discussion boards, under the paypal forum. There is good help there, and they know what they are talking about (most of them anyways). Goodluck

It's already under paypals review. If I file insurance there is no way he is going to give me the package. So I can't even take that route.

I don't understand what you mean by that. I don't believe PayPal takes insurance into the equation when they rule on a dispute. If they find for the buyer the money will come out of your account once he returns the item and then you are left to recoup your money from the insurance claim.

If filing an insurance claim scares him into not wanting to send it back to you all the better, as PayPal will not grant him a refund until he does. (There are ways around this, but hopefully he isn't foolish enough to cross the lines it would take.)

At least that's my understanding of how they work things.

Fortunaltely I dont think paypal can get money out of me. What happens though if as I suspect this guy just once his money back and there is no damage to the package? Obviously I can't get insurance.

If you get it back and there is no damage, I'd notify PayPal of that fact and then just move on and drop it. I'm not sure if the USPS would consider it mail fraud or the cops would consider it a crime. You got what you sold back, he gets him money back. You might not want to have processed a return, but probably not criminal. Though I'm not sure on it really. Anyone here ever been in this situation?

Of course it would probably not still be sealed so you wouldn't really be whole there. Hmm, kind of a tricky situation. In the end I'm guessing PayPal wouldn't be much help to you.

Whenever I get money from PayPal, I always deposit it into my account so no douchebag can get to it.

I've also started higher requirements to bid on my auctions and make my rules ultra clear. It's getting ridiculous how my assholes are on eBay these days.

[quote name='Vinny']Whenever I get money from PayPal, I always deposit it into my account so no douchebag can get to it.

I've also started higher requirements to bid on my auctions and make my rules ultra clear. It's getting ridiculous how my assholes are on eBay these days.[/quote]

That's one of my saving graces I got my money out of my paypal account literally hours before he started the dispute. So in all reality paypal can't get any money out of me. As far as I can tell.

[quote name='magiic']Fortunaltely I dont think paypal can get money out of me. What happens though if as I suspect this guy just once his money back and there is no damage to the package? Obviously I can't get insurance.[/quote]

Basically if you file an insurance claim the post office should try to get in contact with him to determine the level of damage. If he then tells USPS that the package isn't damaged or admits it wasn't damaged during shipping, they will deny your insurance claim but you should be able to request a copy of the report which you can fax to Paypal to counter his dispute.

Oh my..........you may be screwed. I sold a Xbox 360 and 11 games for around $600. He called his bank and disputed the charges because he said it was illegal transactions. Paypal screwed me. I had a signature from his residence, and the address was confirmed before I shipped the item, but no one would help me at Paypal. I scanned everything and attached to an email that I sent them, but never heard back. I have sent 3 emails so far. I never recieved my 360 and games back. Paypal is not a very great service overall. No one even investigated my claim. I am now in talks with my attorney.

Oh man, at least your in better shape than I am. I met in person with someone to sell a PS3 from a post on craig's list. DUMB. He's reversing the charge but claims it's his card company's automatic fraud protection. I did get my money out of paypal already and am thinking of closing my account as I never want to use them again.
I think you should be ok though, it sounds as if you followed the "seller protection" guidelines, no?

I have no idea. I probably haven't with my luck. I didn't get sig confirmation so that probably fucks me right there I have delivery confirmation but thats it. I'm not sure I totally care I have all the money out of my paypal account. I'll probably just close it and say to hell with it.

Sig confirmation is required for anything over $250 I think. Over $1k is definitely above the threshold.

But since he isn't claiming item not received but rather SNAD I don't think that matters here.

Sorry to thread hijack but i thought it'd be easier than creating my own thread. Just had a buyer that has 0 feedback. He paid instantly through paypal. His address is Confirmed, however it shows that the "sender of the payment is Unverified".

I couldnt remember whether it mattered more that his address is confirmed or whether the buyer is verified or not. I'm hoping that nothing bad comes of this (ill be emptying the acct of course). But as long as i send with delivery confirmation, i should be alright assuming anything happens, right?

[quote name='Bezerker']Sorry to thread hijack but i thought it'd be easier than creating my own thread. Just had a buyer that has 0 feedback. He paid instantly through paypal. His address is Confirmed, however it shows that the "sender of the payment is Unverified".

I couldnt remember whether it mattered more that his address is confirmed or whether the buyer is verified or not. I'm hoping that nothing bad comes of this (ill be emptying the acct of course). But as long as i send with delivery confirmation, i should be alright assuming anything happens, right?[/QUOTE]

Just his address needs to be confirmed, that's all.

[quote name='magiic']I have no idea. I probably haven't with my luck. I didn't get sig confirmation so that probably fucks me right there I have delivery confirmation but thats it. I'm not sure I totally care I have all the money out of my paypal account. I'll probably just close it and say to hell with it.[/quote]

They will send the negative amount to a collection agency if you close your account.

I can't see it being worth paypal's money to try and collect. It would probably cost them more to get the money back than they would get back. And the money wouldn't even be there's technically they'd be getting it back to give to someone else. And paypal doesnt actually care about the people that use it so why would they care about this.

If you end up filing an insurance claim with the USPS and he has to send it back, make sure he sends you the original box you mailed it in too. Often the USPS will ask for that to prove the item was damaged in transit and not beforehand.

[quote name='magiic']I can't see it being worth paypal's money to try and collect. It would probably cost them more to get the money back than they would get back. And the money wouldn't even be there's technically they'd be getting it back to give to someone else.[/QUOTE]

$1025 isn't worth collecting?!
You got to be kidding me.
These collection agencies will go for any amount.

[quote name='magiic']
And paypal doesnt actually care about the people that use it[/QUOTE]

correct
they don't care about the buyers.
BUT
that also means they don't care about sellers like you either.

[quote name='magiic']
why would they care about this.[/QUOTE]

Because Palpal cares about money (shocking, isn't it?).
If this guy dispute the charge with his bank / credit card and win (which is probable).
The charge will be reversed and Paypal will be short.
Is Paypal going to take a lost just like that?
Hell no.
Guess who is Paypal going to go after now to recover the money?
YOU.
Believe what you like.
BUT 99.999% of companies out there isn't going to let a huge transaction slide by just like that.

PS:
I'm not saying you will definitely get screwed in this case.
I'm just stating the worst case senario.

[quote name='himsahealer']Oh my..........you may be screwed. I sold a Xbox 360 and 11 games for around $600. He called his bank and disputed the charges because he said it was illegal transactions. Paypal screwed me. I had a signature from his residence, and the address was confirmed before I shipped the item, but no one would help me at Paypal. I scanned everything and attached to an email that I sent them, but never heard back. I have sent 3 emails so far. I never recieved my 360 and games back. Paypal is not a very great service overall. No one even investigated my claim. I am now in talks with my attorney.[/QUOTE]

Hey, make a new thread on this or something, because I would LOVE to hear how this turns out, and I won't ever remember to check this thread again.

Seriously, it's always pissed me off they can just dispute through the bank and win and Paypal screws YOU even though this guy has all of your stuff.

[quote name='magiic']I can't see it being worth paypal's money to try and collect. It would probably cost them more to get the money back than they would get back. And the money wouldn't even be there's technically they'd be getting it back to give to someone else. And paypal doesnt actually care about the people that use it so why would they care about this.[/QUOTE]

If he just does a PayPal chargeback than I would agree that they are unlikely to take it to a collection agency. (Think about it, PayPal isn't out any money as they don't hand any back to the buyer that they can't collect.)

But if he goes to his CC once PayPal can't get any funds for him, then PayPal actually is out that $1k+ and I could see them going to a collection agency. Basically what wbc said.

At this point it hasn't even worked through the PP dispute so no need to panic yet. And bottom line if you don't get the PS3 back don't refund him a penny and if PayPal sicks a collection agency on you fight their ass tooth and nail. Could get ugly, though.

[quote name='wubb']If he just does a PayPal chargeback than I would agree that they are unlikely to take it to a collection agency. (Think about it, PayPal isn't out any money as they don't hand any back to the buyer that they can't collect.)
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm fairly certain Paypal DOES send it to a collection agency if a negative balance has sat in your account for two or three months.

Paypal isn't out any money but someone else is and they are going to collect somehow.

There is no way to screw Paypal... I wouldn't fuck with them.

I dont understand why paypal can't make him just take the insurance option. This is total bullshit. I'm like 99% positive there is no damage to the bloody thing. I have pictures of it before I mailed it with no damage. I sold 3 other PS3's and a Wii with no problems so it's not faulty packaging which was one of the things he outlined. This jackass just tried to buy it off ebay and resell it to his buddy for a quick buck and his friend sounds like he decided he didnt want it (my guess is because he can get it from a store now or at human prices) so this guy wants his money back. The whole thing is absolutely fucking rubbish.

I'm grumpy because despite this guy having really no good case I know I will lose just because paypal cares fuck all about sellers.

If you have the e-mail where he mentions that he wanted to sell it to a friend I would send that to Paypal. Actually I would send all your correspondence with the dispute.
It seems since he recieved the package, you have conifrmation, and he has admitted to receiving, Paypal will not refund his money. They would leave it strictly to the mail insurance to take care of.
Hoprefully in the end, he is the sh@!t out of luck.

Unfortunately this same thing happened to me. I sold a computer game on ebay and when the guy got it he said it didnt work. Well there is no way for me to confirm the software was removed(or not copied) before demanding his money back.

Seeing as a regular retailer doesn't accept software to be returned I didn't see why I should have to. Well this guy reported me to Paypal. So all my money in the account was frozen. I had over $750 that Paypal decided to refund to all of my customers because of this guy.

So essentially I got screwed 3 ways to the wind.

Word of advice. If paypal refuses to help you file a report thru the better business beauru. Its free but theres no guarantee of them helping you. I've used it once though and i've never seen paypal bend over backwards so fast to help me out.

They offered to refund my money out of their pocket as a one time exception so i guess I must have worded something right.

Just got the e-mail today AFTER OVER TWO fuckING MONTHS of waiting. And they decided to rule in favour of the buyer. So I have to refund his money and he will probably send me back either a perfectly fine ps3 or one beaten to shit with a hammer just as him being a jackass. It's been too long for me to get a refund or file for insurance now. This is completely unacceptable on paypals behalf as I have done nothing wrong.

[quote name='SolidSnakeX99']Crap, sorry to hear. How much do you have to refund?[/quote]
$1025USD + The cost of him shipping it back to me.

You could just stop using that Paypal account and if possible delete all your bank account information from it. The only problem with that is I have heard if you do that, Paypal might turn it over to collections.

^ If your Paypal account has no balance, a chargeback or lost dispute like this will bring your account balance to a negative number. That does not mean they took the money out yet but to get rid of the negative balance, you have to pay the amount and all money incoming into the Paypal account will go towards the balance.

or just close the bank account entirely and open an account with a different bank. And yes, definitely like a complaint with the better business bureau and you might as well fill these links out as well:

https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

you may have to copy and paste this.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=

that second one is for consumers, but they may help you because in a way you are of a consumer of paypal.

[quote name='magiic'] It's been too long for me to get a refund or file for insurance now. [/QUOTE]

Uh, I really dont think thats true. Theres no reason you cant file an insurance claim

Dave

bread's done
Back