2011-12 NHL Season Thread

[quote name='Flacksguy']Let's go Rangers tomorrow in the Winter Classic.[/QUOTE]

ewwwww

I'll be going, last thing I want to see is the Blue Skirts coming away with a victory.

Nice!
The Rangers beat the Flyers AND the Refs.
I loved how McGuire made sure to point out that the Ref grew up in Philly after those bad calls towards the end.

Indeed. Some crazy penalties and non-calls in that game. Game really could have escalated there at the end. Good thing the refs did step in.

It will be awarded to the team that wins 4 games during the finals!

So I'm starting to think that NBC's Crosby fetish was planned out at least 5 years since we're still getting bombarded with Sunday afternoon Pens games... At least today's was relatively entertaining during the last 5 minutes.

Eh, I watched 10 seconds of that video a few days ago, didn't need to see more. People keep approaching me to make some kind of rebuttal but I don't think its necessary.

[quote name='dafoomie']Eh, I watched 10 seconds of that video a few days ago, didn't need to see more. People keep approaching me to make some kind of rebuttal but I don't think its necessary.[/QUOTE]
If you saw the whole thing, you would see how necessary it is to maintain your view that the Bruins are the most virtuous team in the league.

*sigh*

lots of Bruins hate from me tonight.

They *won* yesterday in Philly, they had the refs giving them mega-sized Christmas gifts all period 1, they had Bryzgalov in the opposing net, and they still *barely* beat the Flyers.

Yet, despite the win, they whinged the entire way home about Schenn's perfectly legal hit on Kampfer.

And then Tim Thomas had to be a disgusting pig today with his political stunt. I have much respect for him as a goalie (and am still in tremendous pain at realizing just how long we have Bryz on contract), but fuck a bunch of Tim Thomas. Just fucking scum.

So the Bruins went from a team I had immense respect for a few days ago to one of my least liked teams in the NHL. That's pretty impressive in a world where the NY Rangers exist.

You're going to complain about the referees when you had SEVEN powerplays in a row? When the Flyers scored 3 PP goals? Unreal.

I don't recall anybody having a problem with the hit on Kampfer, I thought it was fine. The one by Sestito on Horton and the one by Hartnell on Kelly were pretty iffy, I'm pissed they threw those hits and that Horton has a concussion but I wouldn't call for suspensions.

Yes, the Bruins played a bad game on their 5th game in 7 days, 4 of them on the road. They were outplayed and outhit by the Flyers but they still pulled out the win. As for Tim Thomas... I don't think where he chooses to go is any of your business. God forbid that he care about the direction the country is headed in, he didn't endorse or disparage any person or party and said nothing inflammatory.

[quote name='dafoomie']You're going to complain about the referees when you had SEVEN powerplays in a row? When the Flyers scored 3 PP goals? Unreal.[/quote]

You saw the same game I did, right? All in P1: The tripping call on Voracek was outrageous, the roughing call on Bryzgalov ignored that he was laid out by (I don't recall who it was) with no call, and the Bruins' 3rd goal was caused by a shameful noncall of interference on Horton. Brad Kovachik should be credited with the assist in Lucic's goal then.

As for Tim Thomas... I don't think where he chooses to go is any of your business.

He made it my business and he shamed his team by turning it into an opportunity to spew his herp derp hillbilly venom. He couldn't be bothered to suck it up and have 30 minutes of respect? On top of it all, he had to double down and release a statement claiming "it's not about politics." You should be ashamed that your goalie thinks we're all that stupid to believe an overtly political statement is not about politics.

He tarnished what should have been a great (if routine and merely ceremonial for Stanley Cup winners) moment for the Bruins. A nearly 40 year old man decided to act like a 5 year old, throw a tantrum and stay home. So, yeah, it's my business because he went out of his way to make it public business.

EDIT: I understand you want to defend your team, but compare Thomas's actions to Curt Schilling. Both are similar in terms of political ideology, while the latter has always been respectful about it. That makes all the difference in the world to me - as much as it pains me to say nice things about Schilling. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']You saw the same game I did, right? All in P1: The tripping call on Voracek was outrageous, the roughing call on Bryzgalov ignored that he was laid out by (I don't recall who it was) with no call, and the Bruins' 3rd goal was caused by a shameful noncall of interference on Horton. Brad Kovachik should be credited with the assist in Lucic's goal then.[/quote]
The Bruins scored a minute in with no help from the ref, then Couturier was called for giving Marchand a two hander clear as day, then they took an obvious too many men penalty. I didn't like the call on Voracek, he did sweep the leg but I didn't think it was that bad. Then Chris Kelly got the extra 2 when Schenn dropped the gloves first, that shouldn't have happened.

Before the interference call on Lucic that led to Hartnell's 3rd goal, Krejci got absolutely cleaned out in front of the net away from the puck, no call. Then Giroux cut in front of Lucic and threw his shoulder into him away from the play, and Lucic got the penalty. What Horton did was not that different, Horton was trying to stay onside and Giroux wanted to have position on Lucic.

Bryzgalov got hit a little by Marchand because Meszaros steered him there. When you punch someone with the blocker as Bryzgalov did, its an automatic penalty like putting the puck over the glass in your own end.

As for your political views, I'm sorry that Tim Thomas does not share them but he's under no obligation to participate in Obama's photo op in an election year. Many people have chosen not to participate, Michael Jordan, Theo Epstein, Manny Ramirez, Ozzie Guillen, Mark Chmura, James Harrison, Dan Hampton, and a bunch of NASCAR drivers have all declined to go. You can rip on Thomas for saying it wasn't political, but you can't say that the event isn't political either. I would rather have seen him go, but I don't fault him for sticking to his principles.

A TSN analyst went as far as to insinuate that Thomas is a klansman, enough already. These people never liked Thomas, even to this day some of them still say he's a fluke, but thats going way too far.

I just came from the Maple Leafs @ Islanders game. After a pretty good first period, the Islanders shit the bed, allowing Toronto to close the gap and eventually win in OT. This is why they are fighting for the basement, and I'm a Ranger fan. :lol:

Ahh, Islanders. The only team I can feel sympathy for w/r/t their goaltenders' contract.

EDIT:
eqz5dw.gif

Flyers win a shootout for a change!

(still a terrible idea.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']
eqz5dw.gif

Flyers win a shootout for a change![/QUOTE]
I would love to see Price do this should the Habs ever win a shootout :lol:

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I would love to see Price do this should the Habs ever win a shootout :lol:[/QUOTE]

Forgot about this already?

price1.jpg

I was getting at their horrendous shootout record this season (1-7?), wouldn't mind him doing a cutesy/embarassing dance if they not only managed to win a shootout, but if Price could stop a puck (10/20 ish).

Shootouts are silly and shouldn't *really* be practiced too much. Now, say you have a goalie like Bryzgalov, who is 0/5 (in shots, not shootout attempts overall) in shootouts - maybe you want to work on that a bit there (also beneficial due to Flyer's D-line allowing a pretty remarkable amount of breakaways as of late).

But if you have a goalie who is 10/20 in the shootout and your team is 1-7 in shootouts, that's very, very much not the goalie's fault. Every goalie looks like a chump when you show shootout stats (is *anyone* good at shootouts?). .50 is an impressive stat for that alone; your offense needs to produce better in the shootout.

Nice B-Boy stance by Price there.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Dig it.[/QUOTE]

Which "it" do you mean? This record of yours?

Or shall we celebrate the elimination of the tie that allowed the Red Wings' winning record to extend beyond 12 games?

[quote name='VipFREAK']I didn't know they could fly.[/QUOTE]

I think it's 48 on the Pens, but that guy is lucky he didn't get a skate across the face. Maybe it's just the angles, but damn that looks close.

[quote name='mykevermin']Which "it" do you mean? This record of yours?[/QUOTE]

There seems to be some mistake - I don't play for the team.

For that matter, nor do I even care about hockey that much. If they do this and then get bounced in round 1, shrug. But it's fun to watch it happening.

Or shall we celebrate the elimination of the tie that allowed the Red Wings' winning record to extend beyond 12 games?

Don't be bitter that (insert whatever the fuck team you like) ain't doing it.

Only 27 more wins until they get to fight Noob Saibot.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Don't be bitter that (insert whatever the fuck team you like) ain't doing it.[/QUOTE]

My team (Philadelphia) had the original win streak of 20, and they earned that record when there was no overtime, no shootouts. They won 20 straight games in regulation. No other team can claim to have done that - certainly not the Red Wings, who won 12 straight in regulation, and the 13th was in OT/shootout.

I don't dispute the legitimacy of this as an impressive feat, but it's not an equal comparison due to such significant differences in the game.

[quote name='shieryda']Wings home streak ended last night at the hands of Alex Burrows. Didn't care too much for his stick-snapping gesture, though.[/QUOTE]

He didn't actually break his stick, did he? I saw that this morning and giggled because it looked like a failed attempt. Either way, it's better than that Rangers shithead Anisimov "shooting" the goalie.

No, he didn't break it. Just the shit-eating grin on his face and the reaction to the goal. I read that he slid across the ice, too, but I turned it off before I had a chance to see that.

What do you guys think of the snow-showering that players do to opposing goalies? I really feel like the refs should give misconducts for that shit.

I'd rather see officials become more consistent from crew to crew with existing penalties.

Snowing goalies is disrespectful, but I don't think it's urgent. NHL officials have a lot of other things they should be prioritizing.

They absolutely should, it's basically the one thing Don Cherry is consistently correct about. It's incredibly dangerous the way it is.

[quote name='mykevermin']My team (Philadelphia) had the original win streak of 20, and they earned that record when there was no overtime, no shootouts. They won 20 straight games in regulation. No other team can claim to have done that - certainly not the Red Wings, who won 12 straight in regulation, and the 13th was in OT/shootout.

I don't dispute the legitimacy of this as an impressive feat, but it's not an equal comparison due to such significant differences in the game.

.[/QUOTE]

It was at home. Anyway they had already done it, WITHOUT the need for the gimmick shootout. Granted they should be UNBEATEN and not a straight up win.

The Flyers still hold the record for longest unbeaten streak. (Home/Away)

[quote name='jello44']The Flyers won in a shootout WITH Byrzgalov.

I think that is one of the signs of the Apocalypse.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you, but since he was typical Bryz for the preceding 60 minutes (giving up softies, not aggressively going after shots, useless glove hand), it's just probability.

bread's done
Back