2013 MLB Discussion

How was Mo not used in the 9th? It was set up on a platter for him to come in and get the save... and it doesn't happen?

D'oh

They didn't want to risk it incase their wasn't a bottom of the 9th.

Huge series coming up between the Rays and Sox.  The Rays are the hottest team in the league, but their entire streak has been against the 4 worst teams in the AL.  They haven't played a single game against a team over .500 since June 30th, so I guess we'll see how hot they really are.

Rangers acquire Matt Garza for Mike Olt, CJ Edwards, Justin Grimm and a PTBNL. I like this. The only downside to this trade is that Olt still has potential, but he still strikes out a lot and doesn't walk nearly enough, so I'm sure JD and company viewed him as expendable. Also, thank god Grimm is gone.

Also, Ryan Braun suspended for the rest of the season. 

Rangers acquire Matt Garza for Mike Olt, CJ Edwards, Justin Grimm and a PTBNL. I like this. The only downside to this trade is that Olt still has potential, but he still strikes out a lot and doesn't walk nearly enough, so I'm sure JD and company viewed him as expendable. Also, thank god Grimm is gone.

ryan braun suspended was not a surprise. MLb should stripe him of his mvp award/title. I am surprised the rangers actually traded for garza, was there some serious health issues regarding his arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a Cubs fan I like it. We are building up our farm system and Garza was gone at the end of the year. He isn't worth what a team will pay for his services so we get something in return.

Also, hopefully Braun starts to fall out of the picture now since it looks like this will follow him for his career. Sad seeing how quickly the Brewers have fallen. They looked like a team to reckon with for the foreseeable future with their excellent pitching and crazy good hitting.

Part of it that the Orioles consider most of their infield to be set for the next few years, and part of it was to prevent Boston or Tampa from getting him.

Tampa doesn't trade for rental relievers. Tampa needs to make up an injury for Roberto Hernendez fast. The guy is an absolute joke especially on our team full of studs. Once Alex Cobb returns he better be gone

I dunno what the fuck Orioles are doing. Giving up a top 5-7 prospect from their system for two months of an average reliever.
He was playing in high A ball, it's not like he was knocking on the door of Camden Yards. Plus, as pointed out he's got no real path to the bigs at present. K-Rod is a good arm, this is the kind of deal it makes perfect sense for a team like the Orioles to make.

It's easy to fall in love with prospects, but being able to trade them is part of their value. It's not like they traded the next Machado.

I was hoping the Sox would acquire him, so that in and of itself suggests it was a good move by the O's.

Part of it that the Orioles consider most of their infield to be set for the next few years, and part of it was to prevent Boston or Tampa from getting him.
Hardy is a FA after 2014. Orioles would consider moving Machado back to SS. Davis is a FA after 2015.

Delmonico's ETA would've been in 2015/2016.

He was playing in high A ball, it's not like he was knocking on the door of Camden Yards. Plus, as pointed out he's got no real path to the bigs at present. K-Rod is a good arm, this is the kind of deal it makes perfect sense for a team like the Orioles to make.

It's easy to fall in love with prospects, but being able to trade them is part of their value. It's not like they traded the next Machado.

I was hoping the Sox would acquire him, so that in and of itself suggests it was a good move by the O's.
As DNukem pointed out, Orioles are set on their infield until 2015, there's no reason for him to be knocking on the door. A 20 year old third baseman who's hitting .370 wOBA and 124 wRC+ in A+, following last year's success in A-, is worth more than a two month rental reliever with a 3.73 xFIP.

This is what happens when you are in a pennant race and pickings are slim. Matt Garza is considered the jewel of the trading chips for pete's sake. The Astros are looking for 2 top prospects for Bud Norris, who is at best a #2.

This is what happens when you are in a pennant race and pickings are slim. Matt Garza is considered the jewel of the trading chips for pete's sake. The Astros are looking for 2 top prospects for Bud Norris, who is at best a #2.
Matt Garza did not fetch any jewels. Olt is going to be 25 next month and can't handle AAA. A 25 year old in AAA with a 32% K% would be considered a borderline non prospect. Edwards has potential but he is a pitcher in A+. None of the guys traded would be top 50-75 prospects.

Astros should seek a Garza like return, if not better. Norris is controlled until 2016.

Can't say I agree with either of those articles myself. This statement, from the Braun article, was pretty amusing:

The San Francisco Giants won a title in 2012 thanks in part to a major contribution from Melky Cabrera, who hit .346 in 113 games and won the All-Star Game MVP award to help the National League gain home-field advantage in the World Series. Should commissioner Bud Selig step in and retroactively give the World Series trophy to the Detroit Tigers?
Giants swept Tigers, so home field obviously was no advantage. And they did it without Cabrera on the roster. Using this as a basis as to why Braun shouldn't have his MVP stripped is ridiculous. But so are the majority of opinion articles on the web.

I dunno what the fuck Orioles are doing. Giving up a top 5-7 prospect from their system for two months of an average reliever.
Here is what Jonah Keri of Grantland (who is an excellent analytical writer) says about Delmonico:

The good news is Baltimore didn't give up a ton in its attempt to upgrade the pen. A sixth-round pick from a Tennessee high school two years ago, Nick Delmonico is hitting a decent but unspectacular .243/.350/.469 in the Carolina League this year, just past his 21st birthday. He split his time between first and second base last year and has played third most of this season; his defense is considered subpar wherever he plays, meaning he'll have to rely on his bat to have a shot at major league success. He's shown a strong walk rate in each of his first two minor league seasons, but striking out more than once every four at-bats this year isn't a great sign. Heading into this year, Baseball Prospectus rated him the sixth-best player in a farm system that got weak in a hurry after top pitching prospects Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman. In other words, Delmonico is something of a lottery ticket like the vast majority of prospects, let alone prospects this far from the big leagues.
Full article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69421/al-east-report-laser-show-locked-up-os-pen-gets-a-boost

I think tonight might be the first time I've seen Jose Iglesias play for the Red Sox. His fielding is ridiculous.

Hurry back, Brandon Beachy. I think we may be without Tim Hudson for a while. That injury looked rough.

Garza dominating and then saying he is interested in staying in Texas makes me happy. If Harrison can come back and be good then the rotation and bullpen will be hella nasty (Ogando is going to the pen in the playoffs).

Damn. Sucks that Hudson is done for year. Was hoping Beachy coming back would really boost the rotation for the playoff run. Now best case is they're right where they were if Beachy stays healthy and matches Hudson's performance.

The Rangers need offensive help immediately if they want any shot at the playoffs. Need replacements for Mitch Moreland, David Murphy and maybe Nelson Cruz depending on how the whole biogenesis thing plays out. May need to toss DH into that pile if Berkman continues to suck when he comes back. 

The Rangers need offensive help immediately if they want any shot at the playoffs. Need replacements for Mitch Moreland, David Murphy and maybe Nelson Cruz depending on how the whole biogenesis thing plays out. May need to toss DH into that pile if Berkman continues to suck when he comes back.
I keep hoping Moreland will rake like he did before his DL stint, but he doesn't seem to be coming around.

Murphy appears done. Dude is a walking GIDP machine.

I just want someone on the team to fucking hit when runners are in scoring position. The offense dies the second someone gets on second.

I keep hoping Moreland will rake like he did before his DL stint, but he doesn't seem to be coming around.

Murphy appears done. Dude is a walking GIDP machine.

I just want someone on the team to fucking hit when runners are in scoring position. The offense dies the second someone gets on second.
Damn, did not realize that Murphy was having a bad year, he looked so well last year. That .229 BABIP is way below his career norms. I would't mind seeing him in the Bronx next year as a part of a LF platoon. He can still hit righties well.

I think Ranger will make a move for a bat. Berkman may be out for a year. Rios could end up being a solid pick up.

Here is what Jonah Keri of Grantland (who is an excellent analytical writer) says about Delmonico:

Full article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/69421/al-east-report-laser-show-locked-up-os-pen-gets-a-boost
Thanks for the article. I was not aware that K-Rod also has a 99% strand rate. I still believe that a two month rental of a relief pitcher with xFIP of 3.7, SIERA and FIP in the mid 3s is not worth a lottery ticket who has shown improvement in every level that he's played.

Looks like Soriano to Yankees is about to be finalize as both teams have agreed on the pitcher from a low level. I'm calling it right now, Cito Culver.

Man, this trip to KC was awful. First game was great, then two good pitching performances ruined by two bad innings, then Might just falls apart in the final game.

So Matt Harvey has 11 NDs to his 10 decisions...... man...the mets dont give this kid a break. 2014 needs to get here soon because this offense is dreadful..

It's like that offense immediately shuts down when they realize Harvey is the starter that day. They pounded Jordan Zimmermann today in the first game, but got hardly nothing off Ross Ohlendorf.

The Rays are just rolling right now. Their pitching is absolutely amazing. Another complete game shut out this time by Chris Archer in NY. 1 game up on the Sox in the AL East. If Alex Cobb comes back anywhere near what he was earlier in the year the Rays have to be a World Series favorite. 

Scary moment in the game yesterday. Jeremy Hellickson was almost nailed in the face by a line drive but he caught it. 

The Rays had 5 CG with less than 100 pitches in their history coming into this year. This month David Price has 3 and Chris Archer has 1.

That's the 3rd shutout by a Rays pitcher under the age of 25 this season (Archer has 2, Matt Moore has 1)... The other 29 teams have 4 such games combined this season.

Unless the Rangers get a bat or two, they're done at this point. Oakland isn't slowing down and you basically got Texas/Baltimore/Boston (or Tampa)/Baltimore playing for the Wild Cards. Might be time to flip some players and play for next season if nothing is going to be done. The trade for Garza is looking awful silly now considering it was the offense, not the rotation, that needed some fixing.

Also, fire Magadan. He's doing nothing to help the hitters make adjustments.

Unless the Rangers get a bat or two, they're done at this point. Oakland isn't slowing down and you basically got Texas/Baltimore/Boston (or Tampa)/Baltimore playing for the Wild Cards. Might be time to flip some players and play for next season if nothing is going to be done. The trade for Garza is looking awful silly now considering it was the offense, not the rotation, that needed some fixing.

The rotation has been terrible for about two months aside from Holland and Darvish. They did need another pitcher. Tepesch and Grimm were starting to be like the 5th slot last year (you knew they were losing).

That said, you are right about the bats.They aren't getting anything out of LF and 1B right now, and it is killing them.

It's ok, we're going to trade you back Michael Young so that will solve all your hitting problems.

So the Rays traded for Jesse Crain. He's still on the DL but when healthy this year he was dominant. Traded a PTBNL or cash. I like it. Low risk high reward move

Atlanta got Scott Downs from the Angels for Cory Rasmus. Finally another lefthander in the bullpen to help out Luis Avilan, who has been superb but is at risk of his arm falling off as much as he's been used. It's looking like they're rolling with a rotation of Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Alex Wood, and Beachy, who's returning tonight. Maholm will replace Wood when he comes off the DL, which will add another lefty when Wood goes back to the pen. I'm guessing at that point they'll demote Kameron Loe, who has been pretty terrible.

Kameron Loe has been pretty terrible for a very long time.

Seems the Rangers are going to stand pat and not try to make any trades. I don't like that at all. It is all up to the offense to start working or it will be time for the coaching stuff to meet the chopping block. 

Cubs swept the defending Champ Giants in SF (even though they suck).  :bouncy: Even though the Cubs are 48-55, they have been playing pretty good baseball as of late. It would be amazing if they finished over .500 with all the trades they have been making.

Also I'll miss Alfonso Soriano and Matt Garza as they were my two favorite Cubs.  :cry:

Rough first outing back from Tommy John Surgery for Brandon Beachy.

3 2/3rds, 8 hits, 7 earned runs, 2 homers given up.  Did strike out five at least I guess.

Braves only down 7-6 too.

I swear, the Angels love losing games in the dumbest way possible. From blowing a 6-0 lead in Oakland to giving up two homers in the 9th tonight, they may be lucky to finish .500.

At least my hometown Indians are playing well.

bread's done
Back