2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='spmahn']Do random loose legos have any value? I see them from time to time, but I wasn't aware of them selling for a whole lot on eBay.[/QUOTE]

Yup

[quote name='spmahn']Do random loose legos have any value? I see them from time to time, but I wasn't aware of them selling for a whole lot on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I think the rule of thumb is $5 a pound, Minifigs $1 or more each, old legos??? I think they are thinner, but I am not a lego guy.

[quote name='slowdive21']I think the rule of thumb is $5 a pound, Minifigs $1 or more each, old legos??? I think they are thinner, but I am not a lego guy.[/QUOTE]

right before i got these, I sold a 3 lb lot for $35. Minifigs are depoendent on what they are but generally provide the most bang for your buck. After I get done sorting and selling I'll pull in about $400 on top of what I spent.

Another common but valuable thing to look for are for the original, good condition My Little Pony toys (usually with 80's dates on the hooves), my wife picks them up for as little as $0.07 each, since they are part of the large random kids toy area (usually filled with Happy Meal toys in bins). My local GWs price them at 10 toys each for $1.50, which is only $0.75 on the half off days. Even the common ones can sell for $5-6 a piece, rare ones go for $10 or more.

Definitely not as masculine as Legos, but to be fair I have a daughter who loves them, so it's justified.

Today, I got a few lenses, the Laser Disc Star Wars Trilogy Collection, and a Holiday Edition of Munchkin. Spent about $60 for all that. The Munchkin itself will cover that.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Another common but valuable thing to look for are for the original, good condition My Little Pony toys (usually with 80's dates on the hooves), my wife picks them up for as little as $0.07 each, since they are part of the large random kids toy area (usually filled with Happy Meal toys in bins). My local GWs price them at 10 toys each for $1.50, which is only $0.75 on the half off days. Even the common ones can sell for $5-6 a piece, rare ones go for $10 or more.

Definitely not as masculine as Legos, but to be fair I have a daughter who loves them, so it's justified.[/QUOTE]

Funny you'd mention that, I found a bag full of MLP toys today marked $2.98. Unfortunately, I checked the hooves and they were from 2007. Doesn't seem to be much demand for that era since it isn't vintage and it also isn't related to the TV show.

[quote name='Peep']Today, I got a few lenses, the Laser Disc Star Wars Trilogy Collection, and a Holiday Edition of Munchkin. Spent about $60 for all that. The Munchkin itself will cover that.[/QUOTE]

what kind of lenses?

Picked up a few things so far this year: Madden 2000 N64 Boxed, complete- $.95 Immortal NES Boxed, complete (like new) $1.99 and got mario kart on the ds for $1.99!

Found a sealed copy of Adventure Island 2 for the NES for $3 (it does have damage on one side, but not that major).

Also what is meant by lenses? Are there any other toys other than legos and my little ponies?

Went to Goodwill and picked up The Hobbit for Gamecube CIB for $1.99 and The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube CIB for $4.99.

[quote name='yourlefthand']what kind of lenses?[/QUOTE]

A Canon 35-70mm A Metal Mount for $10 and a Konica Hexanon 135mm 3.5 for $5.

Went to Salvation Army today scored these:

True Crime Streets of LA for Gamecube complete for 4$
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4 for Xbox for 2$

[quote name='2supekards']Found a sealed copy of Adventure Island 2 for the NES for $3 (it does have damage on one side, but not that major).

QUOTE]

like a boss:applause:

[quote name='Peep']Found 5 more lenses today. Total of $100 spent should clear $400 after flipping 'em.[/QUOTE]

I have been watching lenses since I got a dSLR from goodwill a few months ago - are there particular mounts that you look for, or do you just buy up all the old lenses? Do you specifically watch for primes or anything like that?

[quote name='yourlefthand']I have been watching lenses since I got a dSLR from goodwill a few months ago - are there particular mounts that you look for, or do you just buy up all the old lenses? Do you specifically watch for primes or anything like that?[/QUOTE]

I buy whatever has resale value but usually keep the M42's for myself. They convert the easiest to EOS.

Salvation Army was having their monthly 50% off sale. They never have games or the systems (barely), and when they do, its usually expensive or aren't part of the sale.

Picked up Full House S5 for $2.50
Bubblegum Crisis Part 3 for $1.25
Some Foreign Movie for $1.25.
Apparently my mom picked up a 100+ work shoes for $2.50ish. That was pretty good. For her. :lol:

[quote name='HyperG']If people are finding lenses at goodwill I need to start hunting for some, for my canon 7d.[/QUOTE]

It's worth it. I regret the years of passing over quality glass because I didn't understand the numbers or what was good. Once I got my hands on a nice Takumar 50mm f/1.4 for $20, the floodgates were opened. That lens is often regarded as better quality than Canon's 50mm 1.4 that's out right now, and some even consider it on par with L glass. You're good too, as most crop frame's can handle old glass when focused at infinity. Full frames, often have issues with the mirror hitting the rear element. The only major drawback, is having to use manual focus, but it's worth learning and the prices make it that much sweeter.

i think its sad that people buy games and stuff dirt cheap and charge a premium price on ebay or amazon. I only buy what i want for my self and daughter.

[quote name='cmb00']i think its sad that people buy games and stuff dirt cheap and charge a premium price on ebay or amazon. I only buy what i want for my self and daughter.[/QUOTE]

a lot of people are buying it for themselves. That's mostly what I do, but I have trouble leaving money on the table if I see something that could be flipped. It helps me buy more cool stuff for myself and my family.

[quote name='cmb00']i think its sad that people buy games and stuff dirt cheap and charge a premium price on ebay or amazon. I only buy what i want for my self and daughter.[/QUOTE]

you're my hero. You're right, those people really make me sad. They shouldn't be so selfish.

Went to GoodWill today and was pleasantly surprised by what I got.
IMAG0153copy_zps26c42e44.png
Chrono Crusade Vol 6 - $1.09
Chrono Crusade Vol 7 - $1.09
Serial Experiments Lain Vol 2 - $1.09
GC Controller - $1.09
Jenga (missing 2 blocks) - $1.09
So I've never seen anime before at my goodwill so I jumped on these DVD's right away and looked for some more. I guess I got lucky. I picked up the GC controller because I could always use it for a backup for our bi-weekly Smash tourneys. I remembered how fun Jenga was as a kid so I picked that up too. When we went to pay my brother forgot that employees get 40% off thier total purchase so I made him pay ha. Everything costed $1.99 each so i paid $1.09 for each item :) Saw a new wireless 360 controller with a play and charge for $25. I hesitated and a goodwill employee(friend of mine actually) beat me to it.

Picked up a Logitech Attack 3 PC joystick for $3 today, brand new. Looks like they normally sell for ~$20 so it's not a real expensive controller but I've never had a flight stick before, so should be fun to try it out with some flight/space games.

[quote name='Peep']you're my hero. You're right, those people really make me sad. They shouldn't be so selfish.[/QUOTE]
OH shut up! There is no way in hell you guys would leave something sitting on a shelf that you could make some money off of!! "hmmmm this super rare item it only a couple bucks....ill just leave it for someone who might want to play it"....GIVE ME A BREAK :roll:

[quote name='juangrande386']OH shut up! There is no way in hell you guys would leave something sitting on a shelf that you could make some money off of!! "hmmmm this super rare item it only a couple bucks....ill just leave it for someone who might want to play it"....GIVE ME A BREAK :roll:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I can't help that I sit here and get upset over what other people do and it has no way of personally affecting me except for the own issues I make with myself on an internet message board. Jeez, I'm just trying to complain in a very worthless and uninspiring manner because my life is empty and devoid of any relationships except with my lame daughter.

[quote name='juangrande386']OH shut up! There is no way in hell you guys would leave something sitting on a shelf that you could make some money off of!! "hmmmm this super rare item it only a couple bucks....ill just leave it for someone who might want to play it"....GIVE ME A BREAK :roll:[/QUOTE]

Judging by his previous posts in this thread, I think he was being sarcastic.

And like said, thrift stores around here have become overcome with resellers. If you see something that's flippable, you're a fool to leave it for the "honest" person that wants it for themselves, because they are few and far between and that item will just be snatched up by another reseller.

With me, given the size of my inventory, I have a strict profit threshold, and if the item's value doesn't exceed the minimum, I'll leave it unless I want it to keep. Example: Earlier this week, my local GW had a Dreamcast with cables, two controllers and a VMU. They priced it at $10, which is a great price for one, especially complete and in pretty good condition. But on Amazon, they typically only go for about $35-40 + 3.99 shipping credit. After fees, you're looking at about $39. And then you have to calculate the actual cost of shipping; for me, if it were to be going to CA, because of the weight, it would cost about $12 to ship. $39-$12 = $27; $27-10 = $17 profit, which, after having put in time testing, cleaning, etc, it's not worth it for me. Also, I already have four Dreamcasts in storage, so I have no need for one personally, so passed on it and left it for the next guy.

Now to some hobby sellers, $17 profit on a $10 investment is a good return.

[quote name='sp00ge']Judging by his previous posts in this thread, I think he was being sarcastic.

And like said, thrift stores around here have become overcome with resellers. If you see something that's flippable, you're a fool to leave it for the "honest" person that wants it for themselves, because they are few and far between and that item will just be snatched up by another reseller.

With me, given the size of my inventory, I have a strict profit threshold, and if the item's value doesn't exceed the minimum, I'll leave it unless I want it to keep. Example: Earlier this week, my local GW had a Dreamcast with cables, two controllers and a VMU. They priced it at $10, which is a great price for one, especially complete and in pretty good condition. But on Amazon, they typically only go for about $35-40 + 3.99 shipping credit. After fees, you're looking at about $39. And then you have to calculate the actual cost of shipping; for me, if it were to be going to CA, because of the weight, it would cost about $12 to ship. $39-$12 = $27; $27-10 = $17 profit, which, after having put in time testing, cleaning, etc, it's not worth it for me. Also, I already have four Dreamcasts in storage, so I have no need for one personally, so passed on it and left it for the next guy.

Now to some hobby sellers, $17 profit on a $10 investment is a good return.[/QUOTE]

I think most people with scanners set a threshold. The guy I know is $15 profit minimum. I usually went with double my money, but I also go by experience rather than tech (though I would like tech :lol:). Now I am around $10 or more per item unless it is video game related.

So one of my Goodwills changed their Book Prices. Paperbacks are .99 and Hardcover is 1.99. All the other Goodwills are 1.99+. Pretty neat to say. Games were a different story, they're either individually priced or are set at 5.99 (they raised it by $2 :[).

Found an ICO/SOTC Collection. Thought it was going to be good but it was priced at retail. Saddening.

I have to agree with everyone, there are a bunch of resellers now. But if I see something with a good price, I'll get it. Chances are, a reseller is going to get it, or someone will steal it (had it happen)

It's amazing how personal some people take resellers. Get over it. It's very pathetic and petty to care and disparage people who do it. Sorry I want to make extra money that in no way affects you.

[quote name='Peep']It's amazing how personal some people take resellers. Get over it. It's very pathetic and petty to care and disparage people who do it. Sorry I want to make extra money that in no way affects you.[/QUOTE]
it affects them if youre taking their money

I just got back from one of my local goodwills and found a nes top loader with all cables, two dogbone controlllers and two regular nes controllers. They had it it priced for $40, so i snatched it up and it works great. On a side there was a older guy there who seen me with it and asked me if would be interested in buying a bulk lot of consoles. Said he was trying to get rid of all his sons crap that he left behind. I gave him my email and he sent me a list of the consoles which was 10 original NES,2 XBOX 360 (white),4 original xbox,4 Super Nintendo,7 Playstation 1,2 PS2 slim (1 is silver),2 Sega Saturn,3 Nintendo Gamecube,1 Sega Dreamcast,2 Nintendo 64,1 Atari 2600,7 Original Gameboy,2 Game Boy Advance,2 Sega Game Gear,5 Sega Genesis 2,3 Sega Genesis 1. I asked him he knew anything about them and he said that his son use to yardsale a lot and thats all he really knew. I offered him $250 for the whole lot. Do you think i offered to much for not knowing whether they were in working condition?

[quote name='timesplitt']it affects them if youre taking their money[/QUOTE]

haha, the mental gymnastics to get to that is amazing. don't buy my shit then. no one's forcing you to. can't help it if you're a weak willed individual who "has" to have shit. get over yourself

[quote name='blindinglights']I've been looking for a $10 Dreamcast at the local thrift stores, mine sounds like the disc drive is going :bomb:.[/QUOTE]

They all sound like that, the disc drive in the Dreamcast was junk, it was louder than a motorcycle engine and would scratch your discs to shit from time to time. The Dreamcast, the OG X-Box, and the Wii are the three loudest consoles and all sound like they're about to shit the bed when you play.

[quote name='spmahn']They all sound like that, the disc drive in the Dreamcast was junk, it was louder than a motorcycle engine and would scratch your discs to shit from time to time. The Dreamcast, the OG X-Box, and the Wii are the three loudest consoles and all sound like they're about to shit the bed when you play.[/QUOTE]

The Dreamcast is hands-down the most distressed sounding of them all. And yes, every Dreamcast I have, and have had, has been like this.

[quote name='sp00ge']The Dreamcast is hands-down the most distressed sounding of them all. And yes, every Dreamcast I have, and have had, has been like this.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, there are times when I literally don't want to play the Wii because the disc drive is so damn loud it drowns out the sound of the game. The Dreamcast always sounds like it's about the die, but the Wii seems like it was just programmed to be as loud as possible, and it just seems to get louder the more you try to turn up the volume on your TV.

I had one of those odd trips to GW, where I found plenty of non-sport PS2 games, Game Gear games (which I hardly ever see nowadays), even some loose NES games (which are becoming more of a rarity in my locations), but the only thing I picked up was :wii: Project Runway for $2.50, and only because it was brand new, sealed (I'm a sucker for any sealed game).

Recent finds:
21mz0qb.jpg

Anybody have any idea on the value of those VHS? Picked up 2 of those sports one, and one is sealed in original shrinkwrap.. Can't seem to find any info on the zelda one.

Picked up an NES- marked "$15 AS-IS" and the dude would not go any lower despite the fact he knew Ive bought a similar one for $5. Plugged in my extra ac adapter, av cables, and MegaMan 6 and it booted up first time!

Donkey Kong 64 cartridge only- $3

Some Barbie for one of those "Happy 21st Birthday" cakes with the throwing up Barbie by a toilet- $2
Coworker wants to make one for my sisters 21st bday coming up, I get cake so I couldnt say no!

So i ended up meeting up with that guy i was talking about in a earlier post and got a crap load of console. I got him down to $150 because of not knowing their working condition. There were also two xbox 360s, but i have done sold them.

Best part is that almost everything works except for 3 gameboys, 1 gba, 1 ps1, 1 ps2 slim and 1 n64.

[quote name='jeffthebeast']So i ended up meeting up with that guy i was talking about in a earlier post and got a crap load of console. I got him down to $150 because of not knowing their working condition. There were also two xbox 360s, but i have done sold them.

Best part is that almost everything works except for 3 gameboys, 1 gba, 1 ps1, 1 ps2 slim and 1 n64.[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous. Especially of the Saturns, still waiting to find one myself at a Thrift Store or Yard Sale.

Do you do any console modding? You could have a lot of fun with that lot. S-Video Genesis, Slim Xbox, could be a lot of fun :bouncy:.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Stopped by a Goodwill yesterday and saw:

2 Gamecubes, just the systems, no controllers or cords, $35 each.[/QUOTE]

Not worth the price...they were clearly untested. You can get a Gamecube with the cables for the same price online these days.

bread's done
Back