2013 Thrift Store Thread

CIMG0943_zps0d42cd52.jpg

Black Xbox Controller for 9.99. Works wonderfully! Too bad it wasn't a Yellow Tag, otherwise, would've been better if it was $5. :lol:

A brand new Princess Mononoke Art and Making of Book. $8 and it sells for quite a bit. Can't wait to flip it to you guys.

[quote name='Olengie']Hold onto the First Movie. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Bought it when it first came out. Both DVDs are pure flipping...if I can get the stupid Sharpie off the cover. Damn snapper cases.

Didn't know that had any value. I have the straight-to-dvd sequel, Mewtwo Returns which looks to be worth about the same. I think it was the first DVD I got with my first DVD player (a PS2.) Heh.

[quote name='aptanor']Pikmin? I'd be so estatic to find Phantasy Star 1&2 it's not even funny, awesome pickup.

I got a Crash Bandicoot collector's edition for the PS1 today (no outer sleeve, and no case for Crash Team Racing, CTR was stuffed in the Crash Bash case) and LotR War of the Ring PC for $5 total.[/QUOTE]

Eerie! I just picked up a complete version(with slipcover) for $5. Everything is near mint too.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Didn't know that had any value. I have the straight-to-dvd sequel, Mewtwo Returns which looks to be worth about the same. I think it was the first DVD I got with my first DVD player (a PS2.) Heh.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Warners stopped making them a long time ago. They never even got regular DVD cases. They had a redone re-release a few years ago, but that one is OOP too.

[quote name='DNukem170']Yea, Warners stopped making them a long time ago. They never even got regular DVD cases. They had a redone re-release a few years ago, but that one is OOP too.[/QUOTE]

Used, The First Movie is not super-valuable, only about $15 on Amazon. The prices on new copies fluctuates alot too. Currently, lowest price is $60, just before Christmas I sold a sealed copy for $80, and earlier in the year I had a sealed copy go for only $46. The three used copies I've sold have only netted between $13-16.

[quote name='lude21']I just recently found this movie at my flea mrk. For $2. Looks like it goes for 20-30 though...[/QUOTE]

I see they are going for a bit more on eBay. Oh well...

[quote name='sp00ge'] The three used copies I've sold have only netted between $13-16.[/QUOTE]
Selling for $16 would be almost 3x my investment, so I wouldn't mind.

went to a random salvation army and found a N64 with Castlevania 64 for $10.

Found this yesterday. It killed me to pay this much for anything at a thrift, but I couldn't leave it...

I almost jizzed my pants when I saw it, but when I saw the price I got pissed off. After about a hour of beating myself up (and trying to negotiate with 3 employes/managers at SAVERS) I ended up buying it. I still need to test it as the batteries are dead.

mario_zps5b748b82.jpg

mario2_zps4ccb16f9.jpg

mario4_zps68e2d0df.jpg

mario3_zps53471710.jpg

[quote name='slowdive21']Found this yesterday. It killed me to pay this much for anything at a thrift, but I couldn't leave it...

I almost jizzed my pants when I saw it, but when I saw the price I got pissed off. After about a hour of beating myself up (and trying to negotiate with 3 employes/managers at SAVERS) I ended up buying it. I still need to test it as the batteries are dead.
[/QUOTE]

It's alot to pay, but definitely worth it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-GA...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Awesome find!

Nice find on the game & watch!! I always love finding them in the wild. I have a couple in boxes, but finding my popeye panoramic CIB for $1 was awesome!!

Oh man what a find slowdive21. Like you said a bit pricey for a Savers, but I would love to own that also. I did find a crap load of trash pack toys in package for flipping purposes,
but would have been much happier finding your item

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I actually found something decent at a thrift store this week. I have a big stack of CD's that I'm going to send off to a recycling place, but they have private/sensitive info on them, so I wanted to shred them first but my dinky little shredder can't do CD's. Luckily, I ended up finding a Fellowes DM12C shredder for $20 at the place down the street from my house. I thought it was a bit steep, so I ended up going home, but after looking it up and seeing that it retails for $100 more than the asking price, I went back the next day and picked it up. Unfortunately, the thing is disgusting and I can't fully clean it, so I doubt anyone will want to buy it when I'm done, but it is a freakin' beast.

[quote name='slowdive21']Found this yesterday. It killed me to pay this much for anything at a thrift, but I couldn't leave it...

I almost jizzed my pants when I saw it, but when I saw the price I got pissed off. After about a hour of beating myself up (and trying to negotiate with 3 employes/managers at SAVERS) I ended up buying it. I still need to test it as the batteries are dead.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't surprise me to see such a high price at Savers, they are just totally out of their mind when it comes to pricing. I've bought stuff there for a couple of bucks that I flipped for big money, and I've seen copies of Mario / Duckhunt for $15. It makes no sense to me at all. As for the Game and Watch, it's a good find since it's complete. I sold a loose one a few months ago for the same price you paid for this one complete. The game itself isn't a whole lot of fun, but it's a cool item none the less.

Awww thats the same Game and Watch I got from the Goodwill that wants $16 for a Super Mario Bros 3 cartridge. I paid $8 for the system, I wish mine had all the other stuff!!

Found this 2 at my local thrift store. Paid 5$ for the gamecube(hopefully it works) and 2$ for the movie.

Edit: It does work =)
20130125_012717_zps1bc63a40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Recent thrift finds. Haven't seen decent video games in ages but I couldn't help grabbing this tangentially-related stuff.

wmIzG0x.jpg

Zelda Spirit Tracks LE guide & MGS 3 guide for $1 each. MGS3 is one of my top games evar and the guide has a foldout/poster type thing which is neat.

SJuZAPM.jpg

Little Pokemon plushes for $1 each (Kyogre, Ho-oh, Latios, and Mew.) These are from The Pokemon Company and for a buck each I couldn't resist. Ho-oh is my favorite, just look at 'im.

r0oBn7z.jpg

Finally, some DVD's. Avatar Book 2 for $5, Clone Wars vol. 2 and Ponyo for $3 each. I got CW vol. 1 at a garage sale years ago (yay) but it turns out I have Ponyo on :br: already, from Blockbuster I think.

What kind of thrift stores do you guys go to besides Goodwill? I honestly dont know of any others.

Value Village is the only good one here. There are two Goodwills that have things every once in a while, but normally junk. Also a Salvation Army that never has anything good.

Went to Goodwill after work, it was 50% off media. I was like "its 530 there wont be sh1t left!". Saw some crap PS2 and Gamecube games that werent there last time so I figured the good games had been picked through. I ended up with MX Vs ATV Unleashed PS2 complete, Donkey Konga Gamecube complete, and an emerald Dualshock2 controller for $7.55.

Could have grabbed a purple gamecube with a power adapter for $5, but I already have 2 silver ones, so I didnt bite. Kind of regrettin it now!

[quote name='TKSJOHN']Could have grabbed a purple gamecube with a power adapter for $5, but I already have 2 silver ones, so I didnt bite. Kind of regrettin it now![/QUOTE]

just make sure you always look inside! :D

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Recent thrift finds. Haven't seen decent video games in ages but I couldn't help grabbing this tangentially-related stuff.

wmIzG0x.jpg
Zelda Spirit Tracks LE guide & MGS 3 guide for $1 each. MGS3 is one of my top games evar and the guide has a foldout/poster type thing which is neat.

SJuZAPM.jpg
Little Pokemon plushes for $1 each (Kyogre, Ho-oh, Latios, and Mew.) These are from The Pokemon Company and for a buck each I couldn't resist. Ho-oh is my favorite, just look at 'im.

r0oBn7z.jpg
Finally, some DVD's. Avatar Book 2 for $5, Clone Wars vol. 2 and Ponyo for $3 each. I got CW vol. 1 at a garage sale years ago (yay) but it turns out I have Ponyo on :br: already, from Blockbuster I think.[/QUOTE]

Do you live by Manhattan? Good finds. Trying to find some better thrift stores.

Picked up an N64 with all cables, two controllers and a handful of games for $15. I would've passed, but one of the games is the first Mario Party, and that alone was worth the price. Also came with Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, and a stack of sports games.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']Do you live by Manhattan? Good finds. Trying to find some better thrift stores.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Nope, I live out on Long Island. Wish I had some useful tips to share but with thrift stores, it's really all about persistence. Keep going and eventually something decent has to show up.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Thanks. Nope, I live out on Long Island. Wish I had some useful tips to share but with thrift stores, it's really all about persistence. Keep going and eventually something decent has to show up.[/QUOTE]

pretty much. it should be in the op

IMAG03461_zpsa26f057e.jpg

New Super Mario Bros U, no instructions- $10

White Wii U motion plus controller- $20

Black N64 controller with rumble pack- $5

Chrono Cross PS1 complete- $3

Zelda OOT N64- $3

Grabbed By The Ghoulies Xbox, no instructions- $4

GTA San Andreas Xbox complete- $4

NES controller- $4

Wild Arms 5 10th Anniversary PS2, no instrctions- $10

Atelier Iris Eternal Mana PS2 complete- $3

Dawn Of Mana PS2 complete- $3

Left plenty of other current stuff at retail price, old crap I didnt want, and some just over priced stuff. I had Resident Evil 2 PS1 black label case but she couldnt find the discs.

Went to the local one, and finally saw something of interest: the complete Oz series. The man behind the counter probably wanted something like $10 a season. I didn't really want to pay for a show I wasn't familiar with so I passed. It was a pretty odd find since the store donations seem to come from mostly Orthodox Jewish people. Looks like somebody felt ashamed of having this in their home.

Found a copy of .hack volume 3 redemption for $13! Normally I wouldn't pay that much for a PS2 game (pawn shops around here have a habit of checking eBay now :/) but I guess they really don't check to see what older games are rare, and apparently it's worth a nice chunk of cash. It came in Volume 4's case though, and no manual.

Such a shame that they're trying to go off of Gamestop/eBay, I could usually find some fairly recent games at a great price.

First Goodwill trip of the year. $10 got a copy of Um Jammer Lammy, a sealed PS1 Gex, and an original Gameboy (rough condition), Kirby's Dreamland 2, Super Mario Land, Donkey Kong Land, Kirby's Pinball Land, Home Alone 2, Jack Nicklaus Golf, Tetris, Wario Land, and Centipede/Millipede.

[quote name='juangrande386']
IMAG03461_zpsa26f057e.jpg

New Super Mario Bros U, no instructions- $10

White Wii U motion plus controller- $20

Black N64 controller with rumble pack- $5

Chrono Cross PS1 complete- $3

Zelda OOT N64- $3

Grabbed By The Ghoulies Xbox, no instructions- $4

GTA San Andreas Xbox complete- $4

NES controller- $4

Wild Arms 5 10th Anniversary PS2, no instrctions- $10

Atelier Iris Eternal Mana PS2 complete- $3

Dawn Of Mana PS2 complete- $3

Left plenty of other current stuff at retail price, old crap I didnt want, and some just over priced stuff. I had Resident Evil 2 PS1 black label case but she couldnt find the discs.[/QUOTE]

Screw you and your new Wii U game and controller...

;-; (you are so lucky)

bread's done
Back