2013 Thrift Store Thread

Stopped by a new (to me) thrift store today. Aside from a pretty good copy of Beast Wars Season 1 (Rhino release) everything else was ultra-scratched up junk from Blockbuster or Redbox.

Why is it there are like, 6 or 7 thrift stores within a 10 mile radius from my house but only 1 is any good?

I go to SAVERS 5 days a week usually 2-3 hours per day (when they stock). I didn't go 2 Tuesdays ago. I found out that my 'scanner friend' bought 5 or 6 PS1 RPGS. The titles I've confirmed are: Brigadine, Persona 2, Suikoden 1 and 2. He only paid 2.99 each. They are all complete. I was ready to cry. He usually only checks video games after I look through them as I don't check books since that is his main thing. I'm glad he got them, but pissed at myself for not being there.

WiiU games and 3DS games showing up at my goodwills - probably idiots who did target returns thinking they worked on regular Wii or DS.

[quote name='jer7583']WiiU games and 3DS games showing up at my goodwills - probably idiots who did target returns thinking they worked on regular Wii or DS.[/QUOTE]

The $10 NSMB U was a surprise. Thought she was gonna say like $25 or more. The other Goodwill had Assassins Creed 3 and Just Dance 4 for Wii U for $40 apiece. I said "I can get those for brand new on Amazon for that price". Guy says they are new.....my response "than why do they not have plastic wrap on them and have Target Defective Salvage stickers???". He says "uhhhh good point".

I have found about half of my 3DS collection from Goodwills Target returns though, only paid $4-$25 apiece.

[quote name='slowdive21']I go to SAVERS 5 days a week usually 2-3 hours per day (when they stock). I didn't go 2 Tuesdays ago. I found out that my 'scanner friend' bought 5 or 6 PS1 RPGS. The titles I've confirmed are: Brigadine, Persona 2, Suikoden 1 and 2. He only paid 2.99 each. They are all complete. I was ready to cry. He usually only checks video games after I look through them as I don't check books since that is his main thing. I'm glad he got them, but pissed at myself for not being there.[/QUOTE]

Oh man thats brutal. Suikoden 2 is my favorite rpg of all time, and I have been hoping to find one in the wild for years now. Have the others in my ps1 collection, but a pretty nice score for that other dude.

Hmmm. Just checked if there are any Savers by me, and to my surprise, there is one 15 minutes away. And its almost close to the Market my Mom and I go to. Now to find a time to go. :lol:

Managed to find a 64 with two controllers, rumble pack, and memory card for $10 at GW. AV cable was mangled, but I have a spare I can use. Best part is, I got it home and found out it had the memory expansion. Nintendo brand, too.

Today I made a trip to the GW before work and got Rockband 3 for the Wii 5$ Complete. Three days ago I had seen a Gamecube with a Intec Screen on it, too bad I had to wait two days to get my paycheck. It was 24.99 and came with call of duty 2 the screen looked like it was in great shape and the gamecube unit itself was a black console in great condition. no wires or controllers though but looking up some websites the screen is worth quite some money.

[quote name='slowdive21']I go to SAVERS 5 days a week usually 2-3 hours per day (when they stock). I didn't go 2 Tuesdays ago. I found out that my 'scanner friend' bought 5 or 6 PS1 RPGS. The titles I've confirmed are: Brigadine, Persona 2, Suikoden 1 and 2. He only paid 2.99 each. They are all complete. I was ready to cry. He usually only checks video games after I look through them as I don't check books since that is his main thing. I'm glad he got them, but pissed at myself for not being there.[/QUOTE]
That officially beats my purchase price for Suikoden II. I paid $5. But to be fair, it probably wasn't a hot collectible at that time.

[quote name='200STM']Today I made a trip to the GW before work and got Rockband 3 for the Wii 5$ Complete. Three days ago I had seen a Gamecube with a Intec Screen on it, too bad I had to wait two days to get my paycheck. It was 24.99 and came with call of duty 2 the screen looked like it was in great shape and the gamecube unit itself was a black console in great condition. no wires or controllers though but looking up some websites the screen is worth quite some money.[/QUOTE]

Got my GC with Intec Screen for $10 at GW last year. Too bad it didn't come with the wires for the Screen. :(

Xbox 360 Guitar Hero World Tour Wireless Guitar- $6, guess ill pick these up after reading some posts a few pages back. Didnt realize they were very flippable.

[quote name='juangrande386']Xbox 360 Guitar Hero World Tour Wireless Guitar- $6, guess ill pick these up after reading some posts a few pages back. Didnt realize they were very flippable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just be cautious of the PS3 guitars. They need the USB dongle. I picked up two last week for $2 each, not realizing the dongles were missing.

this week i came away with
-Slim PS2 with power cable $7
-N64 gray controller $4
-The Orange Box for PC $3, haven't tried installing to see if the key works, its unlikely it will
-Guitar Hero world tour PS2 $2

I saw a PSP with adapter for $50 but passed on it.

Sealed Black Label GTA 3 for PS2 and two Spice Orange Gamecube controllers and wavebird all for $20. Nice little flip

Pretty bad week. All I saw was Parasite Eve for PlayStation. Left it because I already have 2 copies, it was incomplete and in bad shape.

Still no games but here's some more stuff anyways.

2z8xd3n.jpg

The Art of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Anime & The Land of Sand novel

Found these mixed in with a bunch of shojo manga at SA, paid $1 each.

5tuf6d.jpg

These are from a different thrift; Halo & Baldur's gate novels, Naruto movie animanga, and Bo-Bobo vol. 1. $3 for the whole bunch. These were on a shelf with almost 100 Star Wars and D&D novels but I really have no idea which ones, if any, were worth grabbing so I just picked the few video game novels instead.

znuhed.jpg

Also grabbed this Dreamweaver 4 (Mac) student copy. It's pretty old and a bit beat up, but on the other hand it's sealed so I figured there might be some value.

Picked up a white xbox 360 wireless controller for $4 yesterday, it was really dirty but once cleaned and tested it works great, i just wanted it for the battery cover since mine is cracked from being dropped too much, bonus that it works.

Had a decent GW weekend, picked up the following:

icongamecube.gif
Paper Mario: TTYD $5
:ps2: Spryo: A Hero's Tail $5
:wii: Wii Remote (white, standard), $1

Happy to finally see a good GCN game, especially since TTYD is my favorite from the platform. Picked up Spyro as I seem to be finding complete copies recently of the various PS2 titles, and I couldn't pass on the $1 Wii remote (it was tagged together along with the cheap Wii 'accessories' like the baseball bats and rackets).

Solid finds today:

Interplay's 10 Year Anthology (PC): 3.99 (complete with big box, book, everything in very good shape. Looks like these go for about 40 but I'll hang onto it I think)

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (360): 2.99
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xbox): 2.99
Freedom Fighters (Xbox): 2.99
Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox): 2.99 (my second copy from this location in the last 2 months. This one will be for sale/trade)

Found a large collection of PS2 games at Goodwill today, a real steal at only $8 a piece

ps2ij.jpg

Seriously, I get it, Goodwill provides training and jobs for the mentally handicapped, but do they really have to allow them to price the items as well?

I found Kinect Adventures for 1.99 at my local goodwill. Picked it up not realizing I already have a copy. That's all I found this week but they had tons of sports PS2 games for 3.99 a piece. Seems like prices keep slowly climbing up there. I found a grimey Gamecube without any wires and not even tested for $30...

I found a Sega Pico with Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever for $00.49 today. No cords but I had a spare Genesis power supply and it works like a charm. May seem silly but as a huge Sega fan, I just couldn't pass. Especially for that price, lol.

Even when I see a huge rack of sports games, I take the time to open them up and see what's really inside. Most of the time they are as advertised, but occasionally I find one with a different game inside (which is actually worth what they are charging), or even a memory card to boot.

Granted this doesn't happen very often, but once in awhile I'm surprised, so I continue to take the 2-3 minutes to go and open each one individually. But $8 is a horrible starting price at that GW...

I was surprised to actually find a Wii that was priced decently ($45 with two controllers, nunchuck, and cables). Even then I tried to talk it down a little bit just in case, when some old guy came over and started looking at it and said "these still go for $250 with the console only". I just said "no, they really don't" and walked away (I don't need another one anyways). I hate when people try to pretend that they know prices. I see this a lot at Goodwill stores just listening over other people's conversations. "Yeah man, this VHS copy of Toy Story goes for about $40 on eBay."

Anyways, I bought a GH Les Paul and the orange one that has the touch board (both XBox 360) for $2 a piece. Not much luck lately.

[quote name='spmahn']Seriously, I get it, Goodwill provides training and jobs for the mentally handicapped, but do they really have to allow them to price the items as well?[/QUOTE]

Or a stupid manager who think's he/she is offering a great value by selling these crappy games for $8.99 on the basis of "well Wal-Mart down the streets sells these same ones for $60!"

[quote name='Bing147']I found a Sega Pico with Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever for $00.49 today. No cords but I had a spare Genesis power supply and it works like a charm. May seem silly but as a huge Sega fan, I just couldn't pass. Especially for that price, lol.[/QUOTE]
That's a fantastic price! I have the Pico and I actually think it's a neat little console, but the pen got chewed up ages ago by my grandma's dog and it hasn't worked properly ever since. I've been trying to get another one so my son can play with it, but I very rarely see them for less than $40. I see that someone has a pen for sale, so I may go for that.

[quote name='ZombieToast']That's a fantastic price! I have the Pico and I actually think it's a neat little console, but the pen got chewed up ages ago by my grandma's dog and it hasn't worked properly ever since. I've been trying to get another one so my son can play with it, but I very rarely see them for less than $40. I see that someone has a pen for sale, so I may go for that.[/QUOTE]

I picked one up last year at a yard sale that came with a bunch of games. I don't remember how much I even paid (wasn't much) but the thing has been sitting in my basement ever since. I don't even know if I tested it... maybe I should.

Today I found these at a local Salvation Army in good condition. Blue Dreamcast Controller ($5.34)and a Blue VMU ($2.84) both in box! /]
picture.php

[quote name='200STM']Today I found these at a local Salvation Army in good condition. Blue Dreamcast Controller ($5.34)and a Blue VMU ($2.84) both in box! /]
picture.php
[/QUOTE]

Oh, those are pretty...

Judging by the reflection of the pictures on the wall, that looks like the one by my house, where I never find a damn thing. Lucky bastard.

Sweet, I still have a ton of boxed Dreamcast stuff brand new from when they smoked everything at Best Buy, my sister was working there at the time so I got a better deal on it!

[quote name='200STM']Today I found these at a local Salvation Army in good condition. Blue Dreamcast Controller ($5.34)and a Blue VMU ($2.84) both in box! /][/QUOTE]
What odd pricing...
"How much should we charge for this... dream... cast... thingy?"
"How about $5?"
"No, that's too little..."
"What about $6"
"No, too much..."
"Well, what about $5.50?"
"Hmmm... No, that's still too much I think, no one would pay that."

[quote name='Methoes']Sorry - I can't help myself. Thrift Shop[/QUOTE]

I've heard that song before and hated it (generally don't like hip hop or whatever), but now that I know what it's about I really like it XD. DAMN YOU :roll:

[quote name='mguiddy']What odd pricing...
"How about $5?"
"What about $6"
"No, too much..."
"Hmmm... No, that's still too much I think, no one would pay that."[/QUOTE]

Could it be something like Target's clearance pricing? If it doesn't sell, will it drop 75% or something?

Have not been to a thrift shop in a few weeks. So i decided to check out this place my sister was telling me about and found some cool stuff at great prices i thought. All the dreamcast games and demos were a a dollar each. The nes eliminator cleaning kit was 2 and the sega power supply's were 50 cents a piece. The heater gun was also 2 bucks. Ill be going back soon so i can really dig through all the boxes of stuff they have.
IMAG0411_zps18a2da2b.jpg

[quote name='mguiddy']What odd pricing...
"How about $5?"
"What about $6"
"No, too much..."
"Hmmm... No, that's still too much I think, no one would pay that."[/QUOTE]
Yeah, most of their stuff is priced like that. My guess is that they pick a price and then tack on a percentage for sales tax or something.

I picked up 3 wii-motion play bundles 33 for all 3. I trade in the games for 30$ then sold my old white Nonmoition plus for 15 a piece. Made a profit and now have 4 motion pluses.

Next I picked up Mortal kombat 1 and 2 Complete (case cart and manual) for the Gensis for 13$ for both (which I got for 20$ with 9 games 2 controllers and all cables).

Went garage sailing the other day got a Dreamcast with no cables but two controllers a game and one vmu for 4$
then went and picked up two nba jam for the geni and two zombie games for the dreamcast.

Back to thrift stores pick up my third GH world tour controller for 5$

pick up a new in bow Xbox 360 Controller black for 20$ not the best price but I came in 7mins b4 closing time.

You guys make me itch to go to more thriftstores. After class tmrw Imma hit them up.

I've been hitting a bunch of them around me lately. Strangely all I have found has been way overpriced. One store had a lousy DC for $20 with no power or AV cables. Another store wanted $50 for a genesis with some not great sports games. Beyond that most of the Thrift Stores in my city seem to be devoid of anything gaming related.

Killed some time at a second hand store today. $45 for a bare PS2, $55 for a bare og Xbox, $13 for 1 og Nintendo controller. Everything was in fair condition and is still there.

Lucked out this weekend. Went to a Goodwill and found New Super Mario Bros. 2 for $15, then went to the Half-Price Books near my place and found a slim 360 with no controller for $70 after coupons. Had a spare controller, so didn't care about buying console only.

Recent finds:
Original xbox controller $1
2 madcatz gamecube wireless controllers $5 each
Sealed copy of Hardwar for PC $3

Had a good GW weekend, the first few stops were boring (only picked up a :wii: GH Guitar Controller for $3.50), but the last stop was the winner. Picked up the Game Boy Pocket for $4 (kind of beat up though, still works), and the Game Boy Color for $6.50, which also had the Gameshark SP plugged in and bundled together (although its supposed to be for the GBA). The GBC was in great condition too, and I had no idea how much those Gameshark SP's go for nowadays.

Both of these were on their cart from the back to go out on the sales floor, I love it when I'm able to catch these first.

8465958316_0da187c659.jpg

Wow, I found some NES controllers at Goodwill today...I think they may be brand new factory sealed. If anyone knows for sure let me know. If anyone wants them, let me know as well!
1007384x.jpg

1007388.jpg

[quote name='burritoman']Wow, I found some NES controllers at Goodwill today...I think they may be brand new factory sealed. If anyone knows for sure let me know. If anyone wants them, let me know as well!
1007384x.jpg

1007388.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow! That's crazy cuz I found the exact same controller bundle at my GW a few weeks ago for $2.99. Mine was sealed too ( altho the plastic on mine was tighter) yours looks legit tho. Nice find!!

bread's done
Back