2013 Thrift Store Thread

[quote name='lude21']Wow! That's crazy cuz I found the exact same controller bundle at my GW a few weeks ago for $2.99. Mine was sealed too ( altho the plastic on mine was tighter) yours looks legit tho. Nice find!![/QUOTE]
Nice, I can't remember what the wrap would look like. It's loose, but also 20 years or so old, but not so loose it feels like a shitty reseal. Could not pass it for $1. The cool thing is there is still some kind of demand for them.

Goodwill must be the place to dump sealed NES controllers lol.

[quote name='burritoman']Nice, I can't remember what the wrap would look like. It's loose, but also 20 years or so old, but not so loose it feels like a shitty reseal. Could not pass it for $1. The cool thing is there is still some kind of demand for them.

Goodwill must be the place to dump sealed NES controllers lol.[/QUOTE]

Wow 99 cents! Your GW is awesome!

Today I got -

Hot wheels smash up speedway NEW $6.99

Halo wars mega bloks covenant ghost NEW $2.99

Winnie the Pooh large plush $1.99

Shadow hedgehog large plush $1.99

I went yesterday and saw nothing then I went today and there was quite a few things.

360- DJ Hero 2, Rayman Origins, Tiger Woods 13, Singularity.....maybe a couple others

Xbox- Hitman 2 platinum hits, project gotham racing 2, atari anthology, some sports

PS2/Gamecube- Sims and sports

Vita- 2 Little Deviants

PS3- Sports Champions, some other move games

DS- one of the Professor Laytons

The DS-PS3 stuff was $5.99, older stuff was the normal $3. I only picked up GTA Double Pack for Xbox and GTA 2 for PS1 for $9.71. I think these were like brand new, the discs are flawless and everything is included in both.

As usual, there wasn't anything of interest to be found in my area, but I did get a copy of Sim City for SNES for $2 at Goodwill. And I got a Blue's Clues game, a Rugrats game, and some cool dinosaur magnets for my son's room (whenever I get around to making a magnet wall for him).

Went to a local store today that literally had a cart loaded with guitar controllers. Also had a Tony Hawk board in there too. Didn't check the price.

[quote name='juangrande386']I went yesterday and saw nothing then I went today and there was quite a few things.

360- DJ Hero 2, Rayman Origins, Tiger Woods 13, Singularity.....maybe a couple others

Xbox- Hitman 2 platinum hits, project gotham racing 2, atari anthology, some sports

PS2/Gamecube- Sims and sports

Vita- 2 Little Deviants

PS3- Sports Champions, some other move games

DS- one of the Professor Laytons

The DS-PS3 stuff was $5.99, older stuff was the normal $3. I only picked up GTA Double Pack for Xbox and GTA 2 for PS1 for $9.71. I think these were like brand new, the discs are flawless and everything is included in both.[/QUOTE]
All the Goodwills in my area have the same 360 stuff. Also a ton of sports PS2 games. I've been able to find at least one decent game each time I go though.

No games today. For some reason, all of the Good Wills around me have decided that original Xboxes are back to being worth $30 with no controller or cords, even though I've picked up two for $15 each in the past.

[quote name='blindinglights']No games today. For some reason, all of the Good Wills around me have decided that original Xboxes are back to being worth $30 with no controller or cords, even though I've picked up two for $15 each in the past.[/QUOTE]

I call my Goodwill out on that whenever they up the prices on Nintendo consoles. Try mentioning that you've bought them before for a lot cheaper at the same store and they might just change it. Works for me most of the time.

I've mentioned it before and the manager always uses the same line:

"If you got one cheaper before it's because someone made a pricing mistake, this is the price it's supposed to be."

[quote name='blindinglights']I've mentioned it before and the manager always uses the same line:

"If you got one cheaper before it's because someone made a pricing mistake, this is the price it's supposed to be."[/QUOTE]

Lame. I hate when they pull that line. A couple of weeks ago I tried to talk one of my stores down on a NES lot (Two systems, only one set of cables and 12 crap games) that they had marked for $115! They told me that they found the price on eBay. I don't really shop for games at that store anymore...

[quote name='Jnova80']Lame. I hate when they pull that line. A couple of weeks ago I tried to talk one of my stores down on a NES lot (Two systems, only one set of cables and 12 crap games) that they had marked for $115! They told me that they found the price on eBay. I don't really shop for games at that store anymore...[/QUOTE]

Don't worry give them a few weeks they might change their tune on the price. Space is a value thing at thrift stores so they don't like having merch sitting around too long.

imag0251zw.jpg

My pickups for this week so far. Got the N64 with cables, two controllers for $15. Found WWF Warzone, Madden 98, and Madden Head Coach for .49 each. Also picked up the Xbox controller and a Dreamcast Demo Disc.

Had a couple of really nice days. Mix of thrifts and pawn shops but I don't feel like digging up the other thread so I'll post it all here:

Yesterday:

Call of Duty Black Ops (360): 2.99
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii): 2.99

They literally look like they've never been played.

Today:

Okami (PS2): 3.99
Odin Sphere (PS2): 3.99
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3): 9.99
Tales of Graces F (PS3): 9.99

VERY happy with my finds today.

[quote name='Bing147']Had a couple of really nice days. Mix of thrifts and pawn shops but I don't feel like digging up the other thread so I'll post it all here:

Yesterday:

Call of Duty Black Ops (360): 2.99
Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii): 2.99

They literally look like they've never been played.

Today:

Okami (PS2): 3.99
Odin Sphere (PS2): 3.99
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3): 9.99
Tales of Graces F (PS3): 9.99

VERY happy with my finds today.[/QUOTE]

I would be too if that happened to me. :lol:

[quote name='Demolition Man']Don't worry give them a few weeks they might change their tune on the price. Space is a value thing at thrift stores so they don't like having merch sitting around too long.[/QUOTE]

Din't count on it, I've seen plenty of thrift stores run by crumudgeons who would rather let stuff rot on their shelves for years rather than lower their prices. At Goodwill the overpriced crap only sits around for a few weeks at which point if it hasn't been shoplifted, it gets tossed in the dumpster. The prices never come down because if they did, all you're doing is programming customers not to pay full price and to just wait a few weeks to a price drop.

alright i snagged some stuff. stopped at good will and the GW near me rarely has any good game related stuff but i saw like 4 PC copies of max payne 3 but there was so many people there that i was waiting for ever to get a chance to get behind the glass to check the price so i left it and its now gone. heres what i did get though
picture.php

PS1 with 2 controllers for $7.50 and a USB wires PS3 Head set for $9.50 not to bad

i also noticed a ton of people saying that Gamestop likes to toss out old stock and sometimes you can find some games just peek in there dumpster out back, skeptical but curious i tried that out and heres what i found
picture.php
basically a few game cases for PS2 games, the champions online game is complete but i dont think its even a thing anymore so kind of worthless but then i found a Zone of the enders 1 manual with the original MGS2 Demo that came with it in mint condition which i never actually owned so i consider that a big score. $0.00

No really big finds for me this week. Just a copy of Rampage: World Tour CIB for 1.51. I saw a red PSX controller for 4.04 that I might go back to pick up, and another one of the thrifts had a GB Pocket Printer for 10 bucks.
icon_cool.gif

$3 apiece, both Xbox 360- Guitar Hero 3 Les Paul wireless guitar, Guitar Hero 4 wireless guitar. Havent tested them yet. Gave them and the one from the other day a good cleaning so they needs to dry first.

$10 "as-is"- original Xbox. System only, plugged in my PS2s ac cable and my universal svideo cable and it boots to at least the clock/date setting screen. The one day I find a cheap Xbox I dont see any daymn controllers!

Getting the itch for thrifting this weekend. Last weekend I found a real nice 32' trinitron for the basement. SNES looks FANTASTIC on there. $10. Too bad its a 80lb monster to carry.

[quote name='Optic_ghost'] another one of the thrifts had a GB Pocket Printer for 10 bucks.
icon_cool.gif
[/QUOTE]

Man, I'd probably have bought that too. I spent a lot of time with my Gameboy Camera.

[quote name='Optic_ghost']No really big finds for me this week. Just a copy of Rampage: World Tour CIB for 1.51. I saw a red PSX controller for 4.04 that I might go back to pick up, and another one of the thrifts had a GB Pocket Printer for 10 bucks.
icon_cool.gif
[/QUOTE]

I'm still kicking myself for leaving a CIB GB printer at a garage sale for $8 a few years ago.

Huge score today. Watermelon N64 with cables and matching controller. Two extra controllers, solid yellow and red. Yoshi's Story, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Mario Party 1, 2, 3. $22 total SNES complete and prstine $12. Gonna make so much money on this lot.

[quote name='yantelope']Man, I'd probably have bought that too. I spent a lot of time with my Gameboy Camera.[/QUOTE]

I saw it and my mouth kinda dropped at the price. I was hoping something like that would be a bit closer to 5 bucks. Are they worth picking up? This one didn't have any of the stuff that went with it so I just left it lol.

I stopped at a Goodwill with the old lady that I usually don't frequent and had a few finds:

I picked up one GH2 and one GH3 guitar for $3/ea, both in pretty good condition. I also found a Beatles RB Hoffner bass, but it literally looked like somebody used it to smash things with. Pieces were broken off, the top of the neck was literally caved in, and I highly doubt it even worked. It was only $2, and after much deliberation on getting it and trying to fix it up, I ultimately passed.

When we were getting ready to leave, I decided to walk through one last time to see if there was anything I missed or was just put out. I spotted a box for an LG IPS235 LED monitor and I decided to take a look. It was priced $50, and I was pretty much sold since it's still a $150 monitor. But when I picked it up, I noticed the box was clearly resealed, so I asked the manager if he minded that I opened it. Upon opening, just as I suspected, it wasn't the monitor that belonged with the box.... but on the up side, it was a Samsung S23A550 LED monitor, which is pretty comparable, so I still took it. I finally got around to testing it and it looks like the HDMI port is dead, but the VGA works great, which fortunately is all I need. It replaced my HP 2009m nicely and looks alot better next to the similarly sized PS3 3D display it's running dual-display with.

[quote name='Peep']Huge score today. Watermelon N64 with cables and matching controller. Two extra controllers, solid yellow and red. Yoshi's Story, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Mario Party 1, 2, 3. $22 total SNES complete and prstine $12. Gonna make so much money on this lot.[/QUOTE]

yeah let me tell ya...you'll be able to retire to your own private island from the amount you make... hehe

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']yeah let me tell ya...you'll be able to retire to your own private island from the amount you make... hehe[/QUOTE]

already sold it all for $250 but I'm sure you'd just throw that money away... cunt

[quote name='Peep']already sold it all for $250 but I'm sure you'd just throw that money away... cunt[/QUOTE]

Oh, for f@#%'s sake...ok, it's a hell of a find, especially for what you paid. But unless all of the games were boxed (or better yet, sealed), I don't buy that figure for a second.

And if you're going to fight, do it over PM or something.

Was in Dollar General buying packing tape and saw a PDQ of select Blu-Rays and DVDs. Can't recall how much they were but pretty sure it was below $5. It was just the disc in a CD envelope though but might be worth it to somebody if they're just out for the movie and don't care about anything else.

Picked up a $2 linksys wrt320n router. Power light just flashes since the firmware is messed up. Gained access through the serial connector with a ttl adapter and flashed dd-wrt firmware on it and it's been working perfect as a bridge.

Recently picked up a Black Gamecube :gc: with all cords, black controller, orange controller, 2 controller extensions and a nice system carrying bag, all for $38. The controllers are in great shape and the cube looks like it was barely used. It was a little more than I wanted to pay and it had been sitting in the store for about 2 weeks. I just want the bag and maybe the orange controller, I flipped the system and a controller for $30 already so that makes the other pieces only cost about $11 after fees.

[quote name='TheHeef']Oh, for f@#%'s sake...ok, it's a hell of a find, especially for what you paid. But unless all of the games were boxed (or better yet, sealed), I don't buy that figure for a second.

And if you're going to fight, do it over PM or something.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to buy shit you filthy cunt. It's already been sold.

1st Goodwill- this is the overpriced one, glasscase was almost completely cleared out.....whered all that overpriced crap go??!! Also parked by the exact same car as me, which was crazy since I dont see too many blue 1979 Mercedes Benz 300D's around.

2nd Goodwill- see New Super Mario Bros U in the case.....$35, pass I didnt even sell my $10 one yet. This biiiiig girl was lookin at the DVD cart and threw like 10 PS2 games in her cart when I walked over, couldnt see what she had. Left a bunch of Singstar games and sports. Walked to the other side cus I saw the Xbox green cases. $3 apiece I got these.

IMAG03821_zps80d29da5.jpg

Went to GH yesterday, just the same old same old. They had a 50% off Sale on Pink tagged COB Toys, Clothes, and Linens. But it wasn't as great as the last one they had.

Saw some third party controllers. Noticed Super Mario Galaxy for 14.99, but the case was pretty much destroyed. Was going to bite cause it was a Pink Tag and I thought that it was the color of the week. It wasn't. :( Oh well. :lol:

Red Alert PS1 all discs complete 3.50
Spyro GC no manual 3.50
Lego Starwars Complete 2.99
Twisted Metal Black Complete .99
Gauntlet Dark Legacy Complete .99
For the last two I was able to PM Bestbuy's all PS2 games for .99cents.

IMAG0293_zpsaeb81ab7.jpg

All from a thrift today for $2 apiece, not too shabby. Obviously the Pilates dvd and cross-stitch kit are for the flipping. Saturn game is sealed with the hanging tab.

[quote name='aptanor'] Pic snip
All from a thrift today for $2 apiece, not too shabby. Obviously the Pilates dvd and cross-stitch kit are for the flipping. Saturn game is sealed with the hanging tab.[/QUOTE]

nice grab on the zelda game, wish my stores ever had anything good >.>

[quote name='aptanor']
IMAG0293_zpsaeb81ab7.jpg

All from a thrift today for $2 apiece, not too shabby. Obviously the Pilates dvd and cross-stitch kit are for the flipping. Saturn game is sealed with the hanging tab.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I just grabbed a VG CIB zelda collectors edition the other day at my GW. Paid $4.99 tho :( Just sold it for $53 tho :)

Xbox for $9 today, no cords. Boots fine, crappy Thomson DVD drive is failing though. Was planning on making a slimbox anyway, so that's no big deal, but it would have been nice to have an extra Samsung/Phillips DVD drive. Oh well.

Also, the fat PS2 w/ HDD adapter I picked up works but it sounds like its drive is starting to go. I'm starting to get a backlog of video game mods/repairs to go along with my game backlog.

Saw a Virtual Boy with controller and stand but missing the foam eye guard and no games, marked for $99.99.

The woman asked if I wanted her to open the case since she saw me looking at it, I snickered a little and told her no.

[quote name='blindinglights']Saw a Virtual Boy with controller and stand but missing the foam eye guard and no games, marked for $99.99.

The woman asked if I wanted her to open the case since she saw me looking at it, I snickered a little and told her no.[/QUOTE]

I have my virtual boy on eBay right now. It came with Mario tennis and no eye visor for $25. It was a good enough deal to play with for a few minutes as I had never seen one in the wild before.

Sealed Syphon Filter 2 for PS1- $3

Paid for it then saw a tub full of DVDs and games, girl asked if I wanted to look through them. I said "of course". Lots of mehh stuff in there! I grabbed Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal and Ratchet Deadlocked both w/o manuals for $3 apiece.

[quote name='blindinglights']Bought mine on clearance at Walmart for $20 with Mario Tennis, years ago :D.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same for me, but it was at Kay-Bee Toys. They had a pyramid of about fifty Virtual Boys stacked in front marked at $20 each. They also had a bin full of games that were $5 a piece - mostly Wario World, Teleroboxer, and Red Alarm.

[quote name='Doomstink']They also had a bin full of games that were $5 a piece - mostly Wario World, Teleroboxer, and Red Alarm.[/QUOTE]

Yep, got those too. Never thought it would be worth anything.

bread's done
Back