2014 MLB Season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a NL guy but unless the Nats can somehow pull a rabbits foot out of their ass then I'll be backing the AL in the WS. Just do not want to see either the Dodgers, Cards or Giants as champions.

Screw the Cards. I was kind of secretly hoping for a KC/WAS series but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. It would be kind of interesting to see KC make it since I think they have about a .0001% chance of ever getting to the ALCS again in my lifetime.
i am surprised that kc is even in the playoffs. it wouldn't surprise me tho to see them win the alds, but i just don't see them winning the ws.

Im a NL guy but unless the Nats can somehow pull a rabbits foot out of their ass then I'll be backing the AL in the WS. Just do not want to see either the Dodgers, Cards or Giants as champions.
cards look a bit shaky this year, probably giants or dodgers representing the nl

I agree with this sentiment 100%. I guess the Dodgers going to the WS wouldn't be so bad, but I really don't want to see SF/STL in every WS for the next decade or so. STL really seems like they could make this a reality.

i am surprised that kc is even in the playoffs. it wouldn't surprise me tho to see them win the alds, but i just don't see them winning the ws.
I am as well, and I agree that they don't seem that good on paper. Since they've surprised everyone so far though, who knows how far they will go. I'm beginning to pull for them though since I need someone to root for and their fanbase has suffered long enough.

Nats looked better today. I worry every time Storen comes out though. He's good in the regular season but postseason is completely different with him. I would feel much better with Clippard closing at this point. The starting pitching is so good if the bats can just get them some runs. This series could have easily been over today or at worst a 2-1 Nats lead instead of the other way around.

fuck the Cardinals.

And without getting into Joe Buck's skill as a broadcaster, he's the biggest fucking homer I've ever seen. As the #1 national announcer, he shows more favoritism to the Cardinals than most local broadcasters do to their own team. And I know his history with the team, but it's still ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my biggest one today. I don't hate him like most people, though I get why some people feel that way. I think he's far better at calling baseball than he is football.

And I agree about Gary Thorne. Outside of Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren, Thorne is probably my favorite announcer. If any network had any sense, they'd pair him and Ripken together. I think Cal is really underrated as a broadcaster. He doesn't talk just to talk (like Kruk, Eckersley, Harold Reynolds, Ron Darling), and when he does talk it adds to the game.

Nats looked better today. I worry every time Storen comes out though. He's good in the regular season but postseason is completely different with him. I would feel much better with Clippard closing at this point. The starting pitching is so good if the bats can just get them some runs. This series could have easily been over today or at worst a 2-1 Nats lead instead of the other way around.
Nats could use some offense tonight. I'm pulling for them to even these series. I do not want a STL-SF NLCS for sure.

And I agree about Gary Thorne. Outside of Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren, Thorne is probably my favorite announcer. If any network had any sense, they'd pair him and Ripken together. I think Cal is really underrated as a broadcaster. He doesn't talk just to talk (like Kruk, Eckersley, Harold Reynolds, Ron Darling), and when he does talk it adds to the game.
Thorne and Jim Palmer are one of the best duos on TV.

What a way to lose. Give up the game winning run on a wild pitch.

It probably would not have made a difference, but that K on Desmond in the 9th was BS.

[quote name="DNukem170" post="12146103" timestamp="1412743110"]What a way to lose. Give up the game winning run on a wild pitch.

It probably would not have made a difference, but that K on Desmond in the 9th was BS.[/quote]

There were a lot of calls that were bs. It seemed that the fs1 announcers stopped defending the officiating sometime in game 2.

I'm not saying the Nats should have won, as they played pretty poorly, but I am certain that the officiating played too much of a part in a tightly contested series.

There were a lot of calls that were bs. It seemed that the fs1 announcers stopped defending the officiating sometime in game 2. I'm not saying the Nats should have won, as they played pretty poorly, but I am certain that the officiating played too much of a part in a tightly contested series.
That about sums up the Dodgers series as well, yeah they played like crap but cmon umps horrible ball/strike calls in the 9th. We already aren't hitting don't help them out any more.

[quote name="CaseyRyback" post="12150537" timestamp="1412906905"]Supposedly they are looking to lock up Cruz as well.[/quote]

Lots of Baltimore players getting locked up lately.

[quote name="DNukem170" post="12151684" timestamp="1412963462"]I think I am missing something. Did an Oriole get arrested or something?[/quote]

Sorry - I was trying to be funny with a Ravens joke.

Hey, did you know the Royals are almost unbeatable when they lead by 4+ runs and they are really good at manufacturing runs? They have barely mentioned that on the TBS telecast so I thought I'd mention it here.

I said earlier that if the Royals won, I would root for them in the WS.

Well, fuck that. If they actually win I am an NL fan.

well royals probably only have this year to win a ws, especially with their offense doing so well, and carrying them in the playoffs. since their pitching, and bullpen are nothing to write home about.

I'm normally a Nats guy. My AL team is the Tigers, as I grew up cheering for them.

I would be fine with the royals or Orioles winning, because right now I hate the Giants.

I said earlier that if the Royals won, I would root for them in the WS.

Well, fuck that. If they actually win I am an NL fan.
It's like we've flipped conferences to root for. Still hate the DH even though I'm pulling for the Royals right now lol.

I'm normally a Nats guy. My AL team is the Tigers, as I grew up cheering for them. I would be fine with the royals or Orioles winning, because right now I hate the Giants.
Agree 100%. Its like the Giants don't win games, other teams lose them. The Giants are the luckiest team ever to win as much as they have with no talent.

well royals probably only have this year to win a ws, especially with their offense doing so well, and carrying them in the playoffs. since their pitching, and bullpen are nothing to write home about.
Both Wade Davis and Greg Holland are two of the best relievers in baseball.

I just realized that in 2016 the Reds highest 4 salaries are going to be Votto, Bruce, Phillips and Bailey. Thats $63 million tied up into 3 players that will be well on their way to replacement level and 1 slightly above average pitcher. Cueto and Latos are likely to be traded this season since they won't be able to afford them in 2016.

I have no idea what they were thinking signing Bailey to that huge extension before signing Cueto or Latos first. Either one of them would have been more deserving of that contract. Hopefully one of them brings in a good haul next summer because this team's minor league system will need to produce a few stars to get this team competitive again.

I just realized that in 2016 the Reds highest 4 salaries are going to be Votto, Bruce, Phillips and Bailey. Thats $63 million tied up into 3 players that will be well on their way to replacement level and 1 slightly above average pitcher. Cueto and Latos are likely to be traded this season since they won't be able to afford them in 2016.

I have no idea what they were thinking signing Bailey to that huge extension before signing Cueto or Latos first. Either one of them would have been more deserving of that contract. Hopefully one of them brings in a good haul next summer because this team's minor league system will need to produce a few stars to get this team competitive again.
As a Phillies fan, I would like to welcome you to Hell.

My cousin, a bandwagon Giants fan, is insisting that Wong failed to touch the plate following his HR. I only saw a mob of Cardinals at the plate, so I don't know what evidence he has. Would it even mean anything at this juncture?

My cousin, a bandwagon Giants fan, is insisting that Wong failed to touch the plate following his HR. I only saw a mob of Cardinals at the plate, so I don't know what evidence he has. Would it even mean anything at this juncture?
No. The game is over and everyone is already in San Francisco.

Yeah, game is over....so does not matter. There is always a huge mob like that on a walk off, so the umps just have to do their best to see if they hit the plate...but they are not gonna call someone out unless it was blatantly obvious. Tell your cousin to calm down :)

Matheny better start having a quicker hook on Rosenthal. He has been very inconsistent even late in the regular season. I have no confidence going to the 9th with him on the mound...even with a 2 or 3 run lead...the guy just does not have it right now.

You really can't blame him. At a certain point the payroll limitations have to wear you down. The elimination of the international market as an equalizer when they miss on draft picks had to really wear him down. 

When was the last time a team was down 3-0 and came back to win a playoff best-of-7 series? I'm trying to hold onto some hope here. LOL.

I'm glad to see Delmon is in the lineup tonight, though it means that Cruz is in the outfield. :shock:

When was the last time a team was down 3-0 and came back to win a playoff best-of-7 series? I'm trying to hold onto some hope here. LOL.

I'm glad to see Delmon is in the lineup tonight, though it means that Cruz is in the outfield. :shock:
2004 Red Sox vs Yankees. That's the only time.

KC might end up like the 2007 Rockies: win a play-in game, sweep the LDS and LCS, and then get swept in the WS because they had such a long layoff.

I hope the Royals do what the Rockies did in 2007.
that is probably going to happen with the royals. if they faced the giants, i don't seem them winning with pitching, they would have to win with offense. maybe if the royal were facing the cardinals in the playoff. no way the cardinals win the nlds

But that would mean that the Giants would win, or even worse the Cardinals ( :puke: ).
I'm not pulling for either, but I'd rather the Cards win than the Giants. The Giants luck frustrates me.

The Royals did their job, so now all the Cardinals need to do is comeback so we can have a Show - Me Series 2! :whee:
I never considered this... it would be kind of neat to have a Show-Me Series, similar to the Subway series when the Mets-Yankees played.

Ill give the Royals credit, I didnt think theyd beat the Angels and I really didnt think theyd beat the Orioles.
Team of destiny!

I'm not pulling for either, but I'd rather the Cards win than the Giants. The Giants luck frustrates me.

I never considered this... it would be kind of neat to have a Show-Me Series, similar to the Subway series when the Mets-Yankees played.

Team of destiny!
Going to the World Series (possibly/soon to be) 3 times in 5 years is not luck :???:

Getting hot at the right time ≠ luck. Did Don Larsen get lucky when he pitched a perfect game in the World Series?

Luck is more akin to a Bartman situation favoring the Marlins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back