2014 Yardsale thread

Gameboy stuff for $5. Memo Q digital voice pen for $1, brand new lol. I'll probably sell the pen, I'd have no use for it.

uMpqLgu.jpg

Looks like I will be busy the next few weekends which leaves Nov 1st as maybe the last day for garage sales. 

I did okay this year, I had some good finds early in the season but nothing great recently 

Not a bad day today. Not great, but I got some stuff.

PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure (complete) - $2

F-Zero GX (complete) -$2

Also got a lot that had a Game Boy SP and a Game Boy Pocket and like 8 (lackluster) games for $10.

I did find a copy of Dark Cloud 2 for $4... got super excited because I've wanted this game forever... but unfortunately the disc was scratched and had cracks in the middle. Not salvageable :(.

I've been looking for Pokepark for cheap, though. Glad to add that to my Wii collection.

Decent haul today.

PS2 with power cord and memory card - wanted $5, took $3. There was an AV cable with it, but when I got home I discovered one of the plugs had been torn out.

Binder of collectible cards - $1. Mainly yugioh, but a handful of Pokemon in there too.

Then these were all $1 each from the same sale:

-Animal Crossing GCN (included memory card)

-Harvest Moon Another Wonderful Life GCN (no manual)

-Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff

These last few weeks, there's been a lot more garage sales in my area - but I'm in southern California and there are sales year round apart from a couple weeks at Christmas.

Pretty crappy, had a lot of sales to visit and most were pretty lackluster.

Pokemon fire red with prima guide- $5
Rainbow Six 3 (ps2)- $1.75
Conflict desert storm (ps2, complete)- $1.75

There were a bunch of sales today but not much in video games. I picked up a huge tote full of Lego, Lament of Innocence and Red Steel for $21. I should have grabbed the Dark Cloud that was there but I passed on it for some reason.

At the last sale I picked up a Bushnell telescope still in box for $5. I don't know if it's any good, but figured for $5, the price was right.

This weekend had some promise; there was a festival on the other side of the state that has a huge number of sales every year.  I had to pay a doctor $725 on Friday so I was rather hesitant but still planned on going.  When the furnace took a shit late Friday I decided it's time to start saving my pennies.  Still found a few decent things locally but disappointed that I couldn't go to one of the largest sales of the year.

Saturday was a bust in my area, between the rain and the time of the year there wasn't anybody out. I stopped at the house of the woman I bought my huge find from earlier this year, but she still hasn't begun cleaning things out and once again said she'd call me. Time to give up hope on that one, methinks. Later I stopped by a sale that advertised games, but all they had was an original Xbox and some games I didn't need.

Today (Sunday) I took the tyke out for a bit and hit a couple of sales. There was one five minutes away from me that was supposed to have games, but the seller said her sister-in-law never showed up with them. I left my card and went on my way.

I then drove 20 minutes to a community sale in the southern part of the city. I found a copy of Pokemon Crystal that came with a Pokemon guidebook that I was able to grab for $13. Not the best deal, but now I only need Pokemon Silver to complete my collection of pre-Generation 4 Pokemon games. i also grabbed a dog tuxedo costume, Wonder Showzen Season 1, Pinky and the Brain Volume 2, Ernest Goes to Camp, and The Incredibles for a total of $4.

Whoever you bought those POGs from was probably ecstatic. Such a specific age range of people who even know what POGs are, let alone who would want to buy them in 2015 (I would).

So I just saw a FB post where someone mentioned it was Thursday. I thought today was Wednesday. So I panicked and checked for garage sales...and there are none listed for today. My season is over.

POGS: Sadly I do have a fe of these. I never played, but they had them for comic book related stuff, so I own some.

Last edited by a moderator:
My final loose change count from that Lego bin was $3.29, along with Sea Monsters DS and Force Unleashed for the DS.  The latter doesn't work though, any ideas on cleaning DS cartridges?  I thought I read on here not to use alcohol?

One thing I hate about buying Lego lots is that sometimes you don't get full sets.  So now I want to buy the missing parts to complete them.

My final loose change count from that Lego bin was $3.29, along with Sea Monsters DS and Force Unleashed for the DS. The latter doesn't work though, any ideas on cleaning DS cartridges? I thought I read on here not to use alcohol?

One thing I hate about buying Lego lots is that sometimes you don't get full sets. So now I want to buy the missing parts to complete them.
Mmm, 90% isopropyl alcohol should be fine on the contacts, but I don't know if it damages the plastic.

I picked up a cd out of this box and asked how much and the seller told me to take the box for $5.

vzg70Nm.jpg

Here's what I kept after giving away a couple of sports games and Resident Evil 2 to a friend.

XHgDZBf.jpg

What the hell are POGs for anyway?
You put them in a stack image side up and you throw a heavier slammer piece at the stack. Whatever POGs end up image side down are taken out of the stack and kept by you. Players take turns doing this and whoever has the most POGs after all are flipped, wins. Cool kids played for keeps, meaning if someone flipped your POGs they got to keep them (when doing this each player would put an equal amount of their POGs into the stack),

Most POGs were variants of either skulls, sawblades, peace signs, or 8-balls for some reason. They were only popular in 1994 with kids in elementary school. So people who are 25 - 30 (and that upper end is a bit of a stretch, I know plenty of 30 year olds who totally missed out on POGs) are pretty much the only people in the world who are familiar with or care about POGs.

And also I don't think I could properly express how worthless POGs are. Never buy them to flip, people sell them by the pound online for very very little. If there is such a thing as valuable POGs, I am not familiar with them.

I'm 25 and I had tons of those black tubes full of pogs and slammers. Ahhh... I miss the 90's dearly.

"Cool kids played for keeps..."

That line right there just makes me wanna cry :(

I still have my OJ Simpson pogs stashed somewhere. Now I relive the OJ experience again and again.

The juice is on the loose!

I had to throw away all of my Pog stuff about a year ago. The box got wet and everything had mold on it. About 400 Pogs, a few pads, booklets, also the metal Slammers actually rusted.

I wish I would have went to more yard sales this year. The season is almost done so I'm going to have to check around and see if anyone is having any yet. 

I did go out today even though it is late in the season, but the weather was nice.

$17.50

$2 - Animaniacs Season 1 on dvd

$15 - Game of Thrones Season 1 and 2 on bluray

$1.50 - Zoidberg and Nibbler figure

Paid more than I usually do for seasons, but since it is Game of Thrones it was okay.

$10

Game Boy Color with Pokemon Red, Silver, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon Dungeon something or other for DS, Wrestlemania 2000 for GB, Pokemon Gale of Darkness complete, and Pokemon Channel complete.

The gameboy color is having some sound problems so I will have to investigate.

$6.25

Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition (thought this was move valuable)

Gundam: Zeon something or other

Homer stuffed animal

few TMNT figures from the 90's (not turtles - the Panda, Dingo and a few other characters)

A very large YuGiOh figure - some blue robotic dragon that makes noises

$2

Sealed MASH trivia game from the 80's

$20

a very large bundle of wrestling figures - I'm honestly not sure why I bought these. It was late I probably should've passed. I'm probably just gonna sell them on eBay in a lot for like 50 bucks.

So not very much today - I guess it was worth going out, but I'm not sure if I will bother next week. It may be all over for me.

The pogs were actually at a local goodwill, i think it was 4.99 for that whole binder full. It varies from just common designs, to x-men, power rangers, other comic characters etc.  I'm 35, so I remember pogs, but was not really into them. I mostly got them, to give away to friends and others. Also to show my daughter something from back when I was growing up. 

Tried to hit up one sale on Sunday on the way to lunch. When I got there they had just closed and had changed the sign to "FREE STUFF".

Not much there in terms of really good stuff but I did grab:

Free spyro skylander w/ base. I'm probably going to chuck/give away the base and just keep the Spyro as a little statue on my bookcase.

Sealed Little Mermaid CD

Sealed Heidi DVD

Electronic baby toy thing - they touch the letter and it says the letter

Narnia book box set

Two GI Joe Sigma Six vehicles

Big hamper full of NERF guns

Big basket full of RC cars. Sadly it looks like most of the controller in there were not for cars, but for RC planes. I did keep a few of the cars with remotes that were for cars and had the frequency. I will see how they are.  I took the right and donated them at Savers.

I asked about video games and I got the worst answer that I can receive (which I receive at least a few times a year). Said last year when cleaning out the house he recycled like 3 or 4 rubbermaid containers of the "old Nintendo tapes".

[quote name="Dokstarr" post="12171927" timestamp="1413809679"]Tried to hit up one sale on Sunday on the way to lunch. When I got there they had just closed and had changed the sign to "FREE STUFF".

Not much there in terms of really good stuff but I did grab:

Free spyro skylander w/ base. I'm probably going to chuck/give away the base and just keep the Spyro as a little statue on my bookcase.

Sealed Little Mermaid CD

Sealed Heidi DVD

Electronic baby toy thing - they touch the letter and it says the letter

Narnia book box set

Two GI Joe Sigma Six vehicles

Big hamper full of NERF guns

Big basket full of RC cars. Sadly it looks like most of the controller in there were not for cars, but for RC planes. I did keep a few of the cars with remotes that were for cars and had the frequency. I will see how they are. I took the right and donated them at Savers.

I asked about video games and I got the worst answer that I can receive (which I receive at least a few times a year). Said last year when cleaning out the house he recycled like 3 or 4 rubbermaid containers of the "old Nintendo tapes".[/quote]
What did the RC plane remotes look like? Double sticks?

I asked about video games and I got the worst answer that I can receive (which I receive at least a few times a year). Said last year when cleaning out the house he recycled like 3 or 4 rubbermaid containers of the "old Nintendo tapes".
I got that similar reply a couple times this year and it always stings... though not quite as bad as "some guy just bought everything right before you got here."

The gold medal for terrible replies goes to this guy though:

"Hey there! You don't happen to have any old video games laying around? Nintendo stuff, etc...

"Oh, Nintendo? Like all the old cartridges?"

"*Glimmer of Hope* Yeah!"

"Nope. None of that."

Since I mentioned it here earlier, I guess I'll show the results of my clock project.

Picked up this 60's - 70's Crown Royal wall clock at an auction about a year ago for $15.  The clock didn't work and the outer ring had most of the finish worn off.  After taking it apart I realized the cord wasn't for the clock, it was actually backlit.  I stripped it apart, replaced the clock, replaced the ballast and bulb, and re-finished the outer ring.  Here is the result.

In all I have $50 sunk into it.  Only part I'm disappointed in is that the outer ring does not have the chrome/metallic gold finish it had before.  There are plastic electroplating kits but it's more of a cost than I care for at the moment.

I went to about 6 sales today and didn't find anything besides this Rainbow Brite doll sealed for $3.

This was at a sale on my block that was unadvertised and started at 8:30. I got there late and saw the Rainbow Brite and a She Ra Catra figure MISB. I passed on both and went to my car to look them up. Unfortunately, when I went back another lady had the SheRa figure in her hand. It was marked $1 too. Doh!

Went out Saturday. Only a few sales posted.

$5

Season 1 and Season 2 of in Living Color

$10

4 Macfarlane statues/figures of military guys

Hit up like 7 sales. 2 of them turned out to be old re-do's from earlier in the year and they still had junk.

I'm pretty sure this was it for the year (unless I happen to see something amazing or drive by one when out and about)

I'm a little late with this, but I picked up the following couple of lots a couple of weeks ago. DS games, pokeballs, and Dynasty Warriors were $20 all together, and the Genesis games and FF movie were $6.

Just posting to say, I miss all of you and our weekly finds! Yard sale season 2014 was a good one, but I think it's over around my area.

I've seen two listings for tomorrow morning, but it's currently snowing..... on Halloween!  Last weekend was mid 70's. 

Had some nice finds last weekend, time to catch up on posts.

It's definitely the end. I went to 3 sales today and only found the Mario all stars Wii soundtrack in case with book for 50 cents. Sounded like they sold all their other games earlier. It was a pretty good year though.

Found a 4th gen Ipod Touch - $10

3 Plug and play Atari consoles - $2 each

12 dc comics from the 60's - .25 cents each

pretty good day
Nice!

I got a copy of Animal Crossing: City Folk for $5. Best find I've found this year. Other than some Beanie Babies that I got really cheap.

bread's done
Back