2014 Yardsale thread

Well since it was snowing today - I'm going to guess that is it for the season. Unless something happens and it is super warm next week, but I'm going to say it is down.

Pretty good year. Now it is the great sorting. Gotta go through all the action figures I got. TMNT, Voltron, Transformers, etc. Hard to tell what is trully original 80's vintage, which is new and worthless, and just trying to play what is from what.

Like in one of the boxes of TMNT figures was a purple looking aligator/crocodile. Doesn't say Mirage Studios on it, so I don't think it is a TMNT figure, but it looks very similar to one.

All the stuff I found in the month of October: yardsale and flea market finds (mostly yardsale finds though). I think the total of all the stuff sums up to $110. Second copy of Radiant Dawn(I remember buying my first copy for $50.00 at Walmart in 2009 lol)

[attachment=9750:IMG_0845.JPG]

[attachment=9751:IMG_0829.JPG]

Last edited by a moderator:
All the stuff I found in the month of October: yardsale and flea market finds (mostly yardsale finds though). I think the total of all the stuff sums up to $110. Second copy of Radiant Dawn(I remember buying my first copy for $50.00 at Walmart in 2009 lol)
Nice find on Fire Emblem and Monster Party! I keep hoping to find a copy of that for cheap, since I've been getting into FE more since Awakening (a friend actually found a copy of Path of Radiance for me this past summer). And we just had a MAGFest event here in Baltimore called Monster Party, but unfortunately the game is in neither of our libraries so it was sadly absent.

Fire Emblem is such a great series (I've beat all of them) I would say Radiant Dawn is one of the tougher FE s. It also supports the GameCube Controller, good news if you're into the G controller. To be honest I haven't tried out Monster Party lol.

I recently turned 30 and Pogs came out right when I was in their key demographic. I would guess there may even be 31-32 years olds into them. They came out when I was in 5th grade I believe. Even back then they were worthless, you could go in the "everythings a dollar" store and get like 20 of them for a dollar. The only ones that might be worth anything I can think of are the official Simpsons ones (if you have the whole set) or maybe some of the OJ Simpson ones, which pretty much everyone had their "OJ In The Slammer/Don't Squeeze the Juice" slammers back then

Anyway yard sale season was pretty much over around the end of August here, but then out of nowhere in late September up till even right now there have been more than ever. I am guessing its a lot of people that waited till the last minute to have a sale. I got too used to sleeping in on Saturday, coupled with the fact that my closet is literally packed to the brim with stuff I've already found this year and need to sell off, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. The last one I went to, the ad just said "video games", which the resellers here are always too dumb to check. So I get there about 10 minutes early....nothing....then another car with some old guy shows up.....then another one.....then ANOTHER one. Then 15 minutes after the sale was to have started, they all start leaving. I email the guy who posted the ad and he fuckin writes back "oh sorry, we woke up late....we sold all the video games yesterday". And the kicker is I emailed this guy literally 10 MINUTES after he posted his yard sale ad the day before and asked if I could come look at the games and got no reply. I just said forget it, I've got enough crap to deal with...all you scummy flea market guys can fight over your "mario and zelder nintenda tapes" 

Fire Emblem is such a great series (I've beat all of them) I would say Radiant Dawn is one of the tougher FE s. It also supports the GameCube Controller, good news if you're into the G controller. To be honest I haven't tried out Monster Party lol.
I actually watched trivia video about the FE series the other day, and they specifically mentioned that. Apparently in the NA release of Fire Emblem, "Easy" is actually the typical normal difficulty, and then "Normal" is hard and "Hard" is insane. Kinda glad I saw that before playing!

[quote name="crows in black" post="12212871" timestamp="1415195543"]I recently turned 30 and Pogs came out right when I was in their key demographic. I would guess there may even be 31-32 years olds into them. They came out when I was in 5th grade I believe. Even back then they were worthless, you could go in the "everythings a dollar" store and get like 20 of them for a dollar. The only ones that might be worth anything I can think of are the official Simpsons ones (if you have the whole set) or maybe some of the OJ Simpson ones, which pretty much everyone had their "OJ In The Slammer/Don't Squeeze the Juice" slammers back then

Anyway yard sale season was pretty much over around the end of August here, but then out of nowhere in late September up till even right now there have been more than ever. I am guessing its a lot of people that waited till the last minute to have a sale. I got too used to sleeping in on Saturday, coupled with the fact that my closet is literally packed to the brim with stuff I've already found this year and need to sell off, I just don't want to deal with it anymore. The last one I went to, the ad just said "video games", which the resellers here are always too dumb to check. So I get there about 10 minutes early....nothing....then another car with some old guy shows up.....then another one.....then ANOTHER one. Then 15 minutes after the sale was to have started, they all start leaving. I email the guy who posted the ad and he fuckin writes back "oh sorry, we woke up late....we sold all the video games yesterday". And the kicker is I emailed this guy literally 10 MINUTES after he posted his yard sale ad the day before and asked if I could come look at the games and got no reply. I just said forget it, I've got enough crap to deal with...all you scummy flea market guys can fight over your "mario and zelder nintenda tapes" [/quote]

I just turned 33 and while I remember everyone here having pogs I never had them. I thought they were lame, but I remember tons of stores having them advertised for sale.

I also oddly enough never have seen pogs for sale at yard sales, I guess people just threw them out when they were done with them. What was the point of them anyways, was there a game you played with them? It seems like something only a certain group of people were into.. Much like magic cards (before the Pokemon tcg craze hit).

I also remember working a fundraiser carnival at my school once and we had pogs in a little case as prizes and we made lots of money running that game that day since kids were spending all their money on pogs.

It's been a while since I checked one of these threads.  I stopped taking pictures of my finds since I wasn't really finding that much and usually not much game stuff at all.  I guess there are a lot of resellers in my area or people are trading stuff in at gamestop or disc replay.  I am a bit of a reseller, but also a collector.  I barely see any game stuff at all and if I do, it's sports stuff.  I've been trying to keep my eyes open for a copy of contra.  It's one of the few nes games I had as a kid and want back.

The only good game find I've had in a while was a couple of Gen, N64, and dreamcast games with a loose NES for $5.  I've been mostly looking for computers from garage sales and fixing them up.

What do you guys do to fix up any nes consoles you find?  Do you guys replace the connector or try fixing them?  I've tried using a dental pic to bend the pins closer together.  I've only had some success with that method.  I probably need to practice that a bit more.

It's been a while since I checked one of these threads. I stopped taking pictures of my finds since I wasn't really finding that much and usually not much game stuff at all. I guess there are a lot of resellers in my area or people are trading stuff in at gamestop or disc replay. I am a bit of a reseller, but also a collector. I barely see any game stuff at all and if I do, it's sports stuff. I've been trying to keep my eyes open for a copy of contra. It's one of the few nes games I had as a kid and want back.

The only good game find I've had in a while was a couple of Gen, N64, and dreamcast games with a loose NES for $5. I've been mostly looking for computers from garage sales and fixing them up.

What do you guys do to fix up any nes consoles you find? Do you guys replace the connector or try fixing them? I've tried using a dental pic to bend the pins closer together. I've only had some success with that method. I probably need to practice that a bit more.
I have a pile of Nintendos that I need to get 72 pin connectors for. They are all the ones I've gotten at yardsales the last two or three years.

Pretty much with any NES it is best to replace the 72 pin connector. If you practice it a little you can get it done in a few minutes and then immediately test it and list it up wherever you feel like selling it or trading it.

Luckily Super Nintendos, N64s, etc. almost always seem to work.

I've stopped buying replacement 72 pins and just use a combination of bending the pins back and sanding gently with some 2000 grit sandpaper. You just wrap it around a credit card and slide it through. Doesn't hurt the pins and takes off the top layer of corrosion.

[quote name="erehwon" post="12215518" timestamp="1415256685"]It's been a while since I checked one of these threads. I stopped taking pictures of my finds since I wasn't really finding that much and usually not much game stuff at all. I guess there are a lot of resellers in my area or people are trading stuff in at gamestop or disc replay. I am a bit of a reseller, but also a collector. I barely see any game stuff at all and if I do, it's sports stuff. I've been trying to keep my eyes open for a copy of contra. It's one of the few nes games I had as a kid and want back.

The only good game find I've had in a while was a couple of Gen, N64, and dreamcast games with a loose NES for $5. I've been mostly looking for computers from garage sales and fixing them up.

What do you guys do to fix up any nes consoles you find? Do you guys replace the connector or try fixing them? I've tried using a dental pic to bend the pins closer together. I've only had some success with that method. I probably need to practice that a bit more.[/quote]

I usually just replace the connector, they are pretty cheap on eBay from what I can remember.

Last time I bought connectors (2009?) they were about $6 each.  Also have a stack of NES and other consoles that have been picked up over the past 4-5 years that need to go.

I usually just replace the connector, they are pretty cheap on eBay from what I can remember.
Then if you have to resell it you can say new connector. Most people have been trained to look for a new connector so the upcharge should cover it.

It's like buying new screens for gameboys and gbc. So much easier to say how they have new screens and the price difference pays for them.

I need about 25 or so nes connectors. If anyone can find a cheap price for 100 of them, I'll keep the extras and split up the lot for cags...or if anyone has a contact in manufacturing let me know.

Today was GameCube heaven for me today.

I got:

Eternal Darkness - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Ikaruga - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Soul Calibuer 2 (Black Label) - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Metroid Prime - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Then I got a box of GameCube stuff which had a system and about 10 games including a complete and mint copy of Pikmin 2 for $5.

There were also a bunch of GBA manuals in the box which included 3 pokemon games. I think they sold the games before I got there :(

I'll probably post pics later.

Today was GameCube heaven for me today.

I got:

Eternal Darkness - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Ikaruga - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Soul Calibuer 2 (Black Label) - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Metroid Prime - $1 Complete and in perfect condition.

Then I got a box of GameCube stuff which had a system and about 10 games including a complete and mint copy of Pikmin 2 for $5.

There were also a bunch of GBA manuals in the box which included 3 pokemon games. I think they sold the games before I got there :(

I'll probably post pics later.
Nice find on Ikaruga

The new third party NES connectors are a bit odd. They are designed to be played without pushing down as some forums say.

I've had problems with mine since I constantly needed a cleaning.

Best solution for the original NES connectors:

1. The sandpaper method above

2. Get a can of Brasso and Deoxit, place enough on a cart and push it in and out of the cart connector a few times. Clean the cart and connector who alcohol until most of the dirt is gone.

Method 2 worked best for me.

What I don't recommend for pure safety reasons is to boil the cart connector in a pot of water or rubbing alcohol. That is just plain stupid.

If I put a new pin connector in a system, I never play a game in it that hasn't been taken apart and cleaned.  Just rubbing a q-tip with alcohol over the connectors is not enough, what has been spilled and built up over the years inside these things can be quite disgusting.

Also, the fit is tight for a new connector.  From what I've read certain black box games should not be used until the new connector is broken in due to the board being thicker than newer games. 

And here's one for Slowdive!

Got this complete in box "jarts" set for $5, includes 4 darts, target rings, and instructions. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do with these! They're not the sharp, deadly kind, but they're still pretty illegal. Advice please!
Hello, Neuro (and all),

New to this site, and very new to actually speaking up. I know this is months late, but this is the first time that I've delved a little deeper into the community outside of "game sales/ad" talk and the like, and I have to say, this garage sale thread is great. Have loved the sharing of the found treasures (whether monetarily valuable or -- perhaps most importantly to me -- sentimentally valuable) and the stories related to these adventures.

Neuro, your "jarts" item caused me to smile fondly and shake off my wallflower status a bit. When I was a kid, I had some of these -- we called them "lawn darts". We used to fling them (and really anything else we could throw -- we were such idjits) toward each other, whether directly or with well-tossed, parabolic shots that might impress military spotters.

Anyway, you (and another subsequent post) mentioned their illegality. Is this the case? I know that they aren't sold probably, but illegal? Dang. Lump these in with nunchucks (nunchaku), and there's goes my childhood! I guess it makes sense, especially when I'm sure I wasn't the only one who used them as projectiles against other kids -- all in good fun, mind you. Now, that I think about it, one did come hurtling down from the stratosphere at terminal velocity to hit one of my friends. We knew the risks, dang it!

So, thanks for rekindling a memory that I hadn't thought of in about 30 years.

Now, I continue on through this thread, still anxiously waiting to see Mr. Slowdive's "super haul". Like I said, I'm late to the party, but, man, so far it's still been great. Thank you, all!

OH...!

And, one more thing...I may repost this part toward the end -- the newest area -- because I think it might be of some interest. Where I live, the University here has a Merchandising and Hospitality department. Those folks are all about retail and such. Each year -- at least once -- they have what they call a "sample sale" where local businesses donate new items that the department sells. It's sort of like their version of a bake sale.

Anywho, the prices are really cheap compared to retail. Last year, I got the new NCAA Football and Tiger Woods (the regular versions and the one with dlc) for PS3 and Xbox 360 for $5 each and then flipped them. They also sold other toys which my wife and I bought for our kids -- all of which sold for maybe max 25% of the retail. These things came from Target and Toys 'R Us. There were also clothes and household item donations, too.

The thing everyone gets jazzed for each year, it seems, is the Fossil watches that they offer. They give out tickets for those that want to get the watches. It's just like Ickey Woods getting his cold cuts. "44, ladies!" Anyway, those watches are 50 bucks, I think. I am not a watch connoisseur, so I don't know what they normally go for, but people tell me that the $50 price tag is good. And by the clamor to get one, I guess it is. So, this may be something that occurs in y'all's areas. At any rate, it may be worth looking into.

Again, thanks. Sorry, I'm long-winded.

EDIT: I guess I won't repost since this appeared at the end already. Okay, back to reading....

Welcome to the thread and thanks for reminding me about my Jarts purchase.  This is an old set in box complete.  $5 or less (can't recall).

med_gallery_354731_8396_616931.jpg

med_gallery_354731_8396_1600092.jpg

Going to keep these but wondering if anyone knows a value on a set like this? 

You nailed it. Its funny how things have picked up, like old heads are having a nostalgia attack and young hipsters wanna be...hipsters. I have a quarter-pipe at my moms with about 500+ stickers from the late 80's/early 90's, wonder if there is value in those. Search For Animal Chin, that shit changed the game. My first deck was a PP Cabalerro

not my copy, as it is hanging on my wall and has some damage

Now as for the deck you have, I would say it is about that year. It could be older, as its shape is not narrow like newer boards. I looked online, and the only thing that shows up is old school decks :( Looking at the pics, I can't see the base of the trucks for a name (indys were the only ones I remember not having a name on the base). Are the wheels blank or do they have a logo/design? If you spin the wheels and they spin fast (and for a long time) the bearings are good ones.
Wow, this thread just keeps on getting better for me. I was never any good at skating, but I loved those that could. For my part, I really liked the artwork (being an artist myself). I remember this board (Caballero). I still have a skateboard in my room back home. But I can't quite remember what it had on it.

You nailed it. Its funny how things have picked up, like old heads are having a nostalgia attack and young hipsters wanna be...hipsters. I have a quarter-pipe at my moms with about 500+ stickers from the late 80's/early 90's, wonder if there is value in those. Search For Animal Chin, that shit changed the game. My first deck was a PP Cabalerro

not my copy, as it is hanging on my wall and has some damage

Now as for the deck you have, I would say it is about that year. It could be older, as its shape is not narrow like newer boards. I looked online, and the only thing that shows up is old school decks :( Looking at the pics, I can't see the base of the trucks for a name (indys were the only ones I remember not having a name on the base). Are the wheels blank or do they have a logo/design? If you spin the wheels and they spin fast (and for a long time) the bearings are good ones.
Masa, Sir,

I was wondering if you may be able to help me out with my failing memory -- a memory that like with my previous lawn dart post, has had its flames fanned once more. Now, while I sucked at skating -- boards or roller, doesn't matter -- I still like the clothes, shoes, and the boards. I used to get a catalog back then, but I can't remember what it was called. I'm sure I still copies of it lying around back home. It came out of California, I think. I keep thinking of "T & C Surf Designs"...lol. Don't know if you've ever heard of that. It was a NES game back in the day. It was hard for me -- just like the real thing! -- but I loved it. Anyway, I keep drawing a blank on this catalog. Yeesh, there must have been many back then, so my paltry details aren't really narrowing it down, I'm sure. I'll keep looking. I'm still maybe too new to post pics yet (that's why yours is not in the quote), but when I can, I'll try and stoke the fires once more.

Thanks for any help. These trips down memory lane have been great!

tumblr_llloihCBT51qhdlc6o1_500.jpg

That first one, the blue mouth, I recall seeing back then, too.

vintage-retro-80s-skateboard-deckee.jpg

And, then there's that Hosoi.  

2011-05-VernonCourtlandJohnson02-300x225.jpg

And these...the two middle ones.  I remember drawing both of them.  The third one (blue) I thought was a really cool design.

mvog2.jpg

And I always thought this was an iconic design.

In that catalog, it had skater shoes -- with that little extra bit near the toe for grabbing.  

74a9_2.JPG

And sweats (sweatpants).  Lots of sweats.  Man, I wore the crap out of sweats back then.  Anyway, they all had some designs down the leg and what not.  Kind of like these:

083012-closetcoll-paul3.jpg
pow-p3_3.jpg

Awesome.  Anyway, sorry for being off-topic and/or replying and commenting on stuff that's old.  It's been a pleasure strolling through here.  My search through my mind continues for the name of that catalog.  And an image of the board I may have...  I saw this one:

27a05367f8efe10c22ff33ed068bdba3.jpg

...that seemed familiar because of the "rest in peace" part.  I think mine may be pink...and some other bright pastel color.  May be variflex, too.  I know it was some cheaper, mass-produced skateboard.  Anyway....I digress.

Welcome to the thread and thanks for reminding me about my Jarts purchase. This is an old set in box complete. $5 or less (can't recall).

med_gallery_354731_8396_616931.jpg

med_gallery_354731_8396_1600092.jpg

Going to keep these but wondering if anyone knows a value on a set like this?
Thank you, and no problem. Well, I guess it does say "missile" on the box. Nah, what the worst that could happen? Jarts -- and I still have never heard them called that. So sheltered! I just knew they worked! lol But anyway, Jarts...the original ICBM -- Inter-Child Backyard Missile! Here...catch!

...that seemed familiar because of the "rest in peace" part. I think mine may be pink...and some other bright pastel color. May be variflex, too. I know it was some cheaper, mass-produced skateboard. Anyway....I digress.
You probably had a Executioner variation like this pink or green one.

NashExecutioner.jpg
Nash_executioner.jpg

The cpsc did ban the sale of jarts. They get pulled off eBay very quickly.

There is a market for them, though. When I sold a set a few years ago I got about $80 worth of items in trade. It can be tricky to find a buyer. You are looking for rednecks or hipsters. My understanding is that there are underground jart leagues in some large metro areas.

GqVgKS5.jpg

1st sale: World at war (wii) and gta vice city (Xbox)- $1 each
2nd sale: 13 games (4 in the small case)- $14 total. Corvette is sealed
3rd sale: Blu Ray King Kong and Double featured King Kong 1933 & 1976 (Not pictured)- $3 total

Masa, Sir,

I was wondering if you may be able to help me out with my failing memory -- a memory that like with my previous lawn dart post, has had its flames fanned once more. Now, while I sucked at skating -- boards or roller, doesn't matter -- I still like the clothes, shoes, and the boards. I used to get a catalog back then, but I can't remember what it was called. I'm sure I still copies of it lying around back home. It came out of California, I think. I keep thinking of "T & C Surf Designs"...lol. Don't know if you've ever heard of that. It was a NES game back in the day. It was hard for me -- just like the real thing! -- but I loved it. Anyway, I keep drawing a blank on this catalog. Yeesh, there must have been many back then, so my paltry details aren't really narrowing it down, I'm sure. I'll keep looking. I'm still maybe too new to post pics yet (that's why yours is not in the quote), but when I can, I'll try and stoke the fires once more.

Thanks for any help. These trips down memory lane have been great!
Well, the best I can offer are things that come to mind (dusty and fading, getting old is no fun!). How about...California Skate Express?

tumblr_llloihCBT51qhdlc6o1_500.jpg

That first one, the blue mouth, I recall seeing back then, too.

vintage-retro-80s-skateboard-deckee.jpg

And, then there's that Hosoi.

2011-05-VernonCourtlandJohnson02-300x225.jpg

And these...the two middle ones. I remember drawing both of them. The third one (blue) I thought was a really cool design.

mvog2.jpg

And I always thought this was an iconic design.
The first deck on the top left is a Rob Roskopp deck. There was/is a whole series of designs like that. The Jef Grosso model next to the Hosoi is not the best Grosso design I remember, but I did always like that.

Bones Brigade graphics were always solid, but Santa Cruz and H Street had the really detailed/obscure graphics that really invoke some memories...

Still have a red pair of those sweat pants with the hand planting skeletons somewhere...

NashExecutioner.jpg
Nash_executioner.jpg
Yeeeaaaah...not quite it...I ran across a site that had board shapes (http://www.artofskateboarding.com/PG/aos_pg_shapeguide.asp) , and I think mine might have been more of a "bomb" or "fish"...I think they say the ones you showed me are "pigs" lol...anyway, again, my memory isn't cooperating with this. I'll keep hacking away...thanks for the help.

The cpsc did ban the sale of jarts. They get pulled off eBay very quickly. There is a market for them, though. When I sold a set a few years ago I got about $80 worth of items in trade. It can be tricky to find a buyer. You are looking for rednecks or hipsters. My understanding is that there are underground jart leagues in some large metro areas.
Banned...this is crazy. Considering all the other things that we are exposed to, the things that we can sell and buy -- not to mention what kids have access to -- my mind is fairly blown. Interesting, but mind-numbing. Thanks for the info.

Well, the best I can offer are things that come to mind (dusty and fading, getting old is no fun!). How about...California Skate Express?

The first deck on the top left is a Rob Roskopp deck. There was/is a whole series of designs like that. The Jef Grosso model next to the Hosoi is not the best Grosso design I remember, but I did always like that.

Bones Brigade graphics were always solid, but Santa Cruz and H Street had the really detailed/obscure graphics that really invoke some memories...

Still have a red pair of those sweat pants with the hand planting skeletons somewhere...
That's funny because I keep thinking Cali is involved somehow. If not in the title, I definitely believe the catalog came from a city there. I also think that it was a La something city...like La Joya, let's say...wait....wait... or a San city.... San Luis Obispo? You know that may be it! One piece of the 5000-piece puzzle down, and it's a border piece. That always helps.

And yeah, a lot of the Santa Cruz decks I've seen looking around today were pretty awesome.

I apologize for already deviating from the forum's topic thus far.  I'm not trying to cause any problems.  I am a(n over-exuberant) fan of what the community and the founders have done and do here.  So far, I've really enjoyed the people and their stories, and I'm reminded...I'm validated on why I love games so much.  But like many, I guess I didn't need others' approval, but it's still nice to find kindred spirits out there.  

Having said all that, in my wanderings I ran across the term "penny guide".  Not knowing this phrase, I had to look that up.  To my surprise, I have seen these before.  Now, I know the jargon associated with that state of sale.  However, I must say that I also stumbled across...the sad saga of whom I guess I'll call "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" and the "ruination" of the guides.

Although reading this saddened me with each post, I know that this is another facet of that human element that this forum brings to an increasingly digital world.

Each of us wears a mask.  There is the person that others see, and there is the person that we are.  To quote Robot Jox:  "We always remain all the people we have been."

But I digress...

NashExecutioner.jpg
Nash_executioner.jpg
skatezombie.jpg

Dude, that's it. I stand corrected. You had it more right than I knew. This is the one. There's the "RIP". There's all that pink. lol. But yeah, this has a lot of elements of the first one in your pic...that plastic "skid plate" is exactly the same.

I started perusing the Art of Skateboarding site's price guide section, and I ran across a brand called Nash. That stopped me in my tracks. That name was so familiar and was setting off all kinds of bells in my mind. I saw the Executioner one you showed me, and I knew I was on the right track. Anywho, I googled "80s skateboards Nash" and voila! After more research on Art of Skateboarding, I found out this is an '87 Valterra, "Skate Zombie" obviously. Guess the zombie theme is relevant again. The site said it had one sell for $305. Interesting.

Anyway, thanks, man! Now, to figure out that catalog conundrum! G'night, folks.

Banned...this is crazy. Considering all the other things that we are exposed to, the things that we can sell and buy -- not to mention what kids have access to -- my mind is fairly blown. Interesting, but mind-numbing. Thanks for the info.
Really? Personally, I think when kids die, on top of 6,100 emergency room visits in 8 years due to lawn darts is a great reason to ban them.

http://www.skatesonhaight.com/

"Skates on Haight" was the catalog that everyone had from California.

...and my week of epic finds is delayed again.  I just unearthed 4 lots that haven't been photographed and I've been marathoning AC Revelations, AC III, and AC IV to get somewhat caught up. (They all seem to have some type of glitch, so I am going to download the patches at my parents house today. I cancelled my internet and I am waiting for a better deal to come about before I start posting pics again. Sidenote: I wish there was a way to download patches to a flash drive. We are at the point where if you want to complete a game, you have to have an internet connection. One day I will finally get the Kaboom trophy on AC Brotherhood. I've uninstalled the game, replayed the memory  countless times and tried everything and I can't seem to get that one fixed.)

Really? Personally, I think when kids die, on top of 6,100 emergency room visits in 8 years due to lawn darts is a great reason to ban them.
I agree wholeheartedly. I am not advocating endangering kids. I just remember them (like many of us do about many things) and we didn't think anything about the potential harm. So many things are dangerous for children, swingsets, merry-go-rounds, baseball, just waking up. I wasn't staunchly defending or seriously outraged at the ban. I was merely suprised because it was news to me. Like I said, I haven't thought about them in 30-odd years. Any perceived "passion" for their "reinstatement", so to speak, or my rights as an American was facetious, I assure you. But again, thanks for the numbers. I didn't know that either. Have a good 'un.

http://www.skatesonhaight.com/

"Skates on Haight" was the catalog that everyone had from California.

...and my week of epic finds is delayed again. I just unearthed 4 lots that haven't been photographed and I've been marathoning AC Revelations, AC III, and AC IV to get somewhat caught up. (They all seem to have some type of glitch, so I am going to download the patches at my parents house today. I cancelled my internet and I am waiting for a better deal to come about before I start posting pics again. Sidenote: I wish there was a way to download patches to a flash drive. We are at the point where if you want to complete a game, you have to have an internet connection. One day I will finally get the Kaboom trophy on AC Brotherhood. I've uninstalled the game, replayed the memory countless times and tried everything and I can't seem to get that one fixed.)
Thank you, Sir, for your input. That name doesn't ring a bell for me. Heck, there's too many other bells clanging around in here *taps forehead* But thanks just the same!

And re: Assassin's Creed...it didn't dawn on me at first which one you wrote about, but now that I think about it, my son was playing that one and he kept saying the game would freeze up (brand new copy). Don't know if that's your issue or if you've experienced that, as well. I'd have to ask him where it kept failing for him. Anywho, nowadays, it seems that they like to put out games that aren't finished. Adds to the challenge, I guess.

These last few pages helped me remember that we picked up a set of jarts this summer at a garage sale for $1.00.  We got 4 jarts and 2 hoops, but no box.  The best part was that my 5 year old son found them and wanted them, so I gave him a buck and told him to take them up to the lady and pay.  She told him that she didn't think he should play with them, but let him buy them anyway.

Well, I think my catalog search is over.  I thought to look at some old Thrasher mags from 1987, figuring that there had to be an ad for the company that I was thinking of.  And lo, there it was... 

8704p18-p19.jpg

California Cheap Skates.  And looking at the bottom, in the "By Mail" area, their home is San Luis Obispo.  I still can't find any screen caps of the actual catalog itself, but it's cool finding this ad at all. (http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/april-1987/)

Funny thing is, when I was searching around, trying to find the skateboard that I have, I ran across a site called CSS.  Tonight, I learned that that is California Cheap Skates.  Wow.  At some point, they dropped the full name and went to the acronym (http://skateandannoy.com/blog/2007/09/the-smoking-gun/).

The sucky thing is after that I found another article that says that a few years ago, Footlocker purchased CSS.  How is that sucky, you ask?  Well, a few days ago, it has decided to discontinue the CSS online catalog and "directing its customers to its Eastbay site instead".  (http://xgames.espn.go.com/skateboarding/article/11140228/foot-locker-shutter-ccscom-world-largest-skateboard-store) (http://www.goskate.com/foot-locker-closes-ccs-mailorder/)  Now, I always like to look at Eastbay, too, but dang.  The corporate machine grinds on.  

California Cheap Skate.  That was the one for me.  Do any of you remember that one?  Take it easy, folks, and thanks for bearing with me and allowing me to invade your homes.

So I had a few sales lined up that I wanted to hit this weekend...but my wife and I are in the process of trying to cut out nightfeedings for our 4 month old son and after an hour or so of screaming in the middle of the night I decided I'd rather sleep in. I did hit up a nearby sale and managed to snag a Monoprice disc repairer for $4, so that was pretty cool.

Oooo boy, at least the night training is happening when the season is pretty much dead.

So I had a few sales lined up that I wanted to hit this weekend...but my wife and I are in the process of trying to cut out nightfeedings for our 4 month old son and after an hour or so of screaming in the middle of the night I decided I'd rather sleep in. I did hit up a nearby sale and managed to snag a Monoprice disc repairer for $4, so that was pretty cool.

Oooo boy, at least the night training is happening when the season is pretty much dead.
Don't envy those days. Oh, how many nights I stayed up for whatever reason. We're in the middle of trying to potty train our last one. He's being the most stubborn of all. He'll go sneak off -- and I mean sneak...I've caught him, and he's tiptoeing like a villain from an old silent movie! -- and do his business -- the nastiest business, of course -- and then return to playing as if nothing is amiss. Then the Hindenburg of stank rolls across our tear-streaked faces.... Ah, good times.

1513.THEBOX.jpg

Hit up a church rummage sale and got a 15" Dell LCD Monitor (E153FPc) with the cords still plugged in the back for $1.

There was a VCR in there as well I'm guessing would've been $1, but I passed as it was LXI and I'm unfamiliar with that brand and it was really old. Plus, I still have two working Orions which is my favorite brand.

Not a yard-sale exactly, but one of the local Facebook Online Yard-Sales;

$30: Black DS Lite, White DSi, Mario Kart DS, Zelda Spirit Tracks, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon  Explorers of Darkness, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, & a few other less notable games.

$30: (all for gamecube except NSMB, all complete, mostly Player's Choice) Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Simpson's Hit and Run,  Mario Strikers, & New Super Mario Bros.

Also had a legit yard-sale find a couple weeks ago that I'll have to take pics of and post!

bread's done
Back