$349 GAMING LAPTOP CONFIRMED! - Gateway M6862 CoreDuo 2.0ghz 512mb HD2600XT - BB YMMV

psiufoxx2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Insane deal

$349.99 (YMMV) Best Buy - Gateway M-6862 Ultra-bright 2GHz Dual-Core Laptop

Specs:

• Core 2 Duo T5750 2GHz; 4GB DDR2; DVD±RW; Card Reader
  • 1.3MP WebCam; 6.3lbs; 250GB 5400RPM HDD; 15.4" WXGA LCD
  • 802.11n WiFi; 1.5" thin; Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT (thx Pootie) 512mb GDDR3 dedicated gfx card
The Deal:

$749.99 regularly
- $150 off instantly IN-STORE only
- $75 INSTANTLY
- additional $75 INSTANTLY
- $100 off instantly with ISP Sign-up** In-Store (PM ME with your EMAIL ADDRESS for COUPON)

* ISP Sign-Up $100 OFF: You'll have to do some work for this one. Ask BB employee about the Internet Service Provider instant $100 discount on laptops for signing up in-store. They will look up your zip code in the system, and if any of your local ISPs provide this discount, you can register for new service on the spot with the advisor. INSTANT $100 additional discount. You will then have to call whichever provider you signed up with at a later time and cancel via telephone (without penalty).

** Coupon. This coupon is a printout (saved in MS word) which you are instructed to print after signing up for the ISP deal through the Best Buy website. Simply bring this in at the time you purchase the laptop, and let the employee know you signed up for the ISP at home and you'd like to apply the $100 credit. Done!

My purchase. Best Buy is deleting this SKU from their inventory and continue to mark it down further and further. I didn't believe this deal at first..

If you want to thank me for the deal, please check out my eBay auctions :)

UPDATE:
Looks like we're nearing the end of the road.... 3 weeks since the first markdowns. It was fun while it lasted! To those who landed a brand new shiny lappy (it is shiny, isnt it?) congrats! To those who did not, there will always be another deal to follow.

This was by first big deal post.. so I'll keep vigilant and we'll try to beat SD and FW to it next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
NJmane, did you fan finally start to turn off sometime after running it for awhile. I have only logged about 6 hours on it so far...

I picked up the last one at my local store for $599, I haven't opened it up yet so I'm probably gonna go to another store where it is cheaper and price adjust it. the guy said i would probably have just return it and re-buy it at the store in order to get the price adjusted. but wish me luck to see if i could actually get it at a cheaper price. i didn't try the $100 internet deal, but all the employees i asked had no idea what i was talking about, hahah

I just picked one up tonight, and it was $450 before the coupon, which worked perfectly... came out to $400.67 after taxes and optimization fee, apparently they only had optimized units left.

god this deal looks so damn hot, was looking at one of these and I can't believe how insanely cheap this will come out too

I went and bought a second one that I was able to get with the HSI signup for $373 + $10 Canon printer. Then I got my $590 purchase from the day before PM'd for the $449 price and got $80 back. Great day ^___^

Now I just need to cancel the comcast thing. Who here has done it? Do they just call you and you tell them that you initially signed up for it in the store but you changed your mind? Did you call them?

So this laptop has already dropped again? I'm going to wait a little bit more but I'll grab one before the HSI offer end. Hopefully it will drop again.

At my store (the only store in the area to have any) the price just dropped yesterday to $540.99 from $599.99. The likely hood of another drop the nest day is unlikely for me but I will see when I go in to work. When I left yesterday they still had 3 in the system. Either way I am happy with it.

So the $100 Coupon everyone is speaking of is the HSI discount one or is it a Different discount.

Thanks,

G!:)

Called the only store in the area that still has them in stock (is that true was said on page 5, that to get refunded after the price drops again, it must be in stock?), and it was still $529

[quote name='gonwk']So the $100 Coupon everyone is speaking of is the HSI discount one or is it a Different discount.

Thanks,

G!:)[/quote]
I think it's the HSI discount, they just use the one someone made by signing up with their name and print out the page with the coupon barcode for people to use. But it's YMMV on BB employees taking it. I'm going to check some BB to see if they dropped again yet. I would definitely get this laptop for $349 even though there are many bad reviews for it on the net about the heat/fan, dvd drive issues, and no bluetooth and firewire but I don't ever use those so.

I think I'm going to try and get one this afternoon. How exactly do you get it for so cheap? It's $600, plus two $75 off instant discounts? Then you sign up for and ISP and get another $100 off? What's this talk of a coupon?

EDIT:
Also, is it suggested by anyone to get a protection plan of any sort?

[quote name='MorPhiend']I think I'm going to try and get one this afternoon. How exactly do you get it for so cheap? It's $600, plus two $75 off instant discounts? Then you sign up for and ISP and get another $100 off? What's this talk of a coupon?

EDIT:
Also, is it suggested by anyone to get a protection plan of any sort?[/quote]

You are correct. The ISP sign up is what people are talking about when they mention the HSI deal or the coupon (printing out someone else's HSI barcode that was scanned to give them the $100 off). $600 - 150 - 100 for a total of $350+tax.

And I would also like to know if anyone else got plans on theirs. Since I only paid $373 I don't mind spending more for an accidental damage protection plan but IDK if I should get the BB one or look into getting a Gateway one (BB one is $220 for 2 years w/ Accidental Protection, idk GTW's prices yet).

[quote name='Adawg120']You are correct. The ISP sign up is what people are talking about when they mention the HSI deal or the coupon (printing out someone else's HSI barcode that was scanned to give them the $100 off). $600 - 150 - 100 for a total of $350+tax.

And I would also like to know if anyone else got plans on theirs. Since I only paid $373 I don't mind spending more for an accidental damage protection plan but IDK if I should get the BB one or look into getting a Gateway one (BB one is $220 for 2 years w/ Accidental Protection, idk GTW's prices yet).[/QUOTE]

Great! So all I need is the coupon e-mailed to me. I pm'd the OP my e-mail address. I hope he can get back to me in the next hour or so because I have class in 25 minutes, then I'm off to get me a new laptop.

This laptop (an XPS) was great when I bought it at the time of HL2's release, but since then I sent it into Dell to get repaired and they swapped a 9100 motherboard in and since then it is crap and they refuse to correct their mistake.

[quote name='Adawg120']You are correct. The ISP sign up is what people are talking about when they mention the HSI deal or the coupon (printing out someone else's HSI barcode that was scanned to give them the $100 off). $600 - 150 - 100 for a total of $350+tax.

And I would also like to know if anyone else got plans on theirs. Since I only paid $373 I don't mind spending more for an accidental damage protection plan but IDK if I should get the BB one or look into getting a Gateway one (BB one is $220 for 2 years w/ Accidental Protection, idk GTW's prices yet).[/quote]
i think i might plan on getting a warranty too, i already bought the laptop for $599 but i'm gonna see if i am able to price adjust it at another store. not sure about the gateway extended warranty but it looks like you have to go here and enter your serial to get the info on the extended warranty, keep me posted cuz i want to know the price differences in warranty

http://support.gateway.com/support/warrantyconfig/warranty.asp

Just picked up the last one at the Everett, MA Best Buy.

The laptop was $449 plus $100 off for the HSI coupon.

Total: $449-$100 = $349 + 5% tax = $367 total. I am super geeked at how good of a deal this is. If you can grab one by you, get it ASAP. When I originally called about it, they had 5 left. I went on my lunch and snagged the last one. The only hassle was the guy trying to force-sell me the warranty, and then dumping me off to a Geek Squad dipshit who tried to tell me my current virus protection plan is crap and I'd definitely get a virus. I tried to tell him I built computers for fun, but he was too busy being an annoying douche to listen. Still, this deal is worth the 5 minutes of aggravation at Best Buy.

Thanks to psiufoxx2 for the heads up and especially for the $100 off HSI coupon. Worked like a charm, no issues at all.

They offered me the $100 for 2-year accidental damage plan, which did sound kind of tempting. Anyone go for it? Covers spills, drops, batteries, etc. Usually I never take these, but $100 seems cheap. Then again, getting this laptop for $368 total is awfully sexy.

receipt:
bestbuyreceiptM6862.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone upgraded the laptop to XP. I heard there's a lot of issues reverting back, mostly with drivers I think. If anyone has made the switch could you report and problems, and maybe where one could find a driver or two.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Has anyone upgraded the laptop to XP. I heard there's a lot of issues reverting back, mostly with drivers I think. If anyone has made the switch could you report and problems, and maybe where one could find a driver or two.[/quote]Anyone online able to e-mail me the coupon? I have not heard back from OP and need to head out now to try and snag one of these.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Anyone online able to e-mail me the coupon? I have not heard back from OP and need to head out now to try and snag one of these.[/quote]

Yeah, PM me your email address..

Thanks to those helping with the emailing of the coupon.. I'm getting 25 requests a day, and since it's a word file I can't post it online... Good luck to everyone!

psiufoxx2, why not upload to a site? PM'd anyway!

anyway I got the laptop a week for $524.00 before tax and no coupon.

My question is, is it possible for me to bring in a coupon (any of the various ones around) and my receipt to get credit applied to my cc (or maybe get gift card for the difference?) Also same for the drop to $449.99...It would be nice if I can just go to a BB, show the receipt, give the coupon, and find out the original price dropped again.

I assume I DO NOT have to bring the laptop in and believe I can go to any other BB to do this...

and the SD forums are going crazy over this

Hmm... Just called my BB and they said they have 2 in stock--however, they list it as $650 on their computer.

Does anyone know if this is normal and if the two discounts are only taken at the register?

[quote name='snakeswithlasers']Hmm... Just called my BB and they said they have 2 in stock--however, they list it as $650 on their computer.

Does anyone know if this is normal and if the two discounts are only taken at the register?[/QUOTE]

My BestBuys have only done the first price drop. I'm hoping for the second in the next few weeks. I got it for $425 + tax AC. I might also go back for the $100 plan. They tried to sell me on the premium, which is like twice the price of the laptop if I get the next $75 off.:roll:

[quote name='MorPhiend']My BestBuys have only done the first price drop. I'm hoping for the second in the next few weeks. I got it for $425 + tax AC. I might also go back for the $100 plan. They tried to sell me on the premium, which is like twice the price of the laptop if I get the next $75 off.:roll:[/quote]

So I should take this to mean that the price given on the phone is the price it will be when they ring it up? Sorry to harp on this, but my nearest BB is 45 mins away, and I don't want to run down there to find out the deal is lame in my area--but I also feel that this deal is just too sweet to miss out on!

[quote name='Synergy']
Thanks to psiufoxx2 for the heads up and especially for the $100 off HSI coupon. Worked like a charm, no issues at all.

They offered me the $100 for 2-year accidental damage plan, which did sound kind of tempting. Anyone go for it? Covers spills, drops, batteries, etc. Usually I never take these, but $100 seems cheap. Then again, getting this laptop for $368 total is awfully sexy.
[/quote]
No prob! And yeah I picked up the $100 warranty.. I mean shoot, if it breaks, and they need to give you an "equivalent model" you'll be getting a $750 laptop in return. Methinks that's nice ;)

[quote name='Gamer SDP']psiufoxx2, why not upload to a site? PM'd anyway!

My question is, is it possible for me to bring in a coupon (any of the various ones around) and my receipt to get credit applied to my cc (or maybe get gift card for the difference?) Also same for the drop to $449.99...It would be nice if I can just go to a BB, show the receipt, give the coupon, and find out the original price dropped again.[/quote]
Can't post it.. it's a word doc with a barcode within, when I convert to .pdf or .jpeg the barcode downgrades in quality :(

And you can just bring in your receipt to get the retro price drops applied, but I'm not so sure about the coupon. Hell, it's worth a try for $100! But.... I think you should go back to the best buy where you bought it. This is totally YMMV and if you go to a store not offering the deal they might give you a hard time.

Went to another BB today that has 3 of them instock and I asked if they could tell me how much it's is and the stupid girl that was there just pulled it up from the freaking internet and tell me the price on the website -_- she won't even border checking their register system. Do you guys think I should call that store and ask the customer service? This laptop is worth it if it's at $350.

man.........i checked bb's website and the closest is 120 miles away....so i'm going to call them up and see what the biz is

Can anyone pick one of these up for me for cost+shipping+a little extra for the effort?

I really need a laptop for college and none in my area have one anymore...

[quote name='Synergy']Just take it to the register and have them ring it in. It will ring up at the reduced price.[/quote]
the thing about best buy clearances is that they are YMMV. BB's Clearances always have different prices. One of the store I go to earlier this week was $599 when i asked the guy to check if they have any instock i kinda looked in his screen. I don't know if that's the final price. For the people that got it for $350-$400 what does it initially bring up for without the HSI coupon? or does it just come up reduced price and then scan the coupon to subtract another $100?

I'm hoping to pick one up this morning since it shows up as available at my local Best Buy. The laptop is a very nice deal even at $750 considering the specs, but $350 is just pure insanity. The 2600 XT is a pretty decent mid-range graphics card that can play Mass Effect at 30 fps at 1280x1024 resolution and ultra quality settings. It runs Call of Duty 4 at 45 fps at 1280x1024 resolution and max quality settings. Compare that to a 60GB Xbox 360 at $300 or a 40GB PS3 at $400 and you got an insane deal.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,30.html

[quote name='luan87us']the thing about best buy clearances is that they are YMMV. BB's Clearances always have different prices. One of the store I go to earlier this week was $599 when i asked the guy to check if they have any instock i kinda looked in his screen. I don't know if that's the final price. For the people that got it for $350-$400 what does it initially bring up for without the HSI coupon? or does it just come up reduced price and then scan the coupon to subtract another $100?[/quote]

I can't tell you how much it will be exactly, except that no one on any of the forums has reported it ringing up in the store for the original $699. It's been clearanced to some degree everywhere. So it's worth having them actually ring it up to see the price.

And yes, $350 is insane for this laptop. It's the best deal I've gotten on one since Black Friday 2005 when I picked one up for $199, but I had to do the hassle of signing up/canceling AOL. So this is better..

If I use the coupon should I write in anything where it says Best Buy Order# or do I just take the printout to the counter when I buy them laptop?

I didn't fill anything in. You'll probably be paying at customer service and they are aware of the form. They didn't even read it at all for me, she just grabbed it and scanned it.

[quote name='Synergy']I can't tell you how much it will be exactly, except that no one on any of the forums has reported it ringing up in the store for the original $699. It's been clearanced to some degree everywhere. So it's worth having them actually ring it up to see the price.

And yes, $350 is insane for this laptop. It's the best deal I've gotten on one since Black Friday 2005 when I picked one up for $199, but I had to do the hassle of signing up/canceling AOL. So this is better..[/quote]
i'm just going to all the BB when I'm actually ready to buy it and check their price at register and just buy it at the one with lowest price =)

Okay, need some help. The laptop is available in my area and I think I am going to pull the trigger. It is listed as $699 online. I am assuming the discounts are not applied yet. Is the clearance discounts YMMV or just the amounts of the clearance. Also, do you have to sign up for the HSI discount and can you cancel afterwards (I already have HSI).

Thanks in advance for any help.

man! i just called the closest BB near me that has it (a robust 120 miles away!) and they said they have 5 in stock....for 549

so getting it for 450 + tax sounds ok....but honestly, the laptop i have right now is good

i might just wait till monday and take a shot then.

[quote name='thebob101']Okay, need some help. The laptop is available in my area and I think I am going to pull the trigger. It is listed as $699 online. I am assuming the discounts are not applied yet. Is the clearance discounts YMMV or just the amounts of the clearance. Also, do you have to sign up for the HSI discount and can you cancel afterwards (I already have HSI).

Thanks in advance for any help.[/quote]

The price online has no discounts/clearancing taken into account. The clearanced price is what rings up in the store. You might be able to call in and ask how much it is, but most CSRs are lazy and will probably quote the online price. This laptop is most definitely clearanced. Don't think it's not if they quote you $699. What is YMMV is the amount of clearancing. People are reporting as low as $449 ($399 according to SD) without the HSI coupon, but I've also seen $524 and $549.

As for the HSI coupon, I had success with it by waiting until I was finally at the cashier (I first got shuttled to the geek squad desk where they tried to force sell me some virus crap). I handed her the slip, told her I'd signed up for Comcast HSI and got a coupon I wanted to use. She scanned it and that was that. If you use the coupon floating around, you'll have no problems and nothing to cancel. Good luck.

Also, if you're thinking about this laptop, and there are any in your area for a reasonably clearanced price, jump on it. This deal's been posted at slickdeals, fatwallet, etc etc. and I'm already seeing them on ebay and craigslist.

Got mine at a local store, was 449+tax. Last one.

[edit] btw if they tell you 699, tell them to double check the rss. mine tried to say 699 (and they were hidden in the back) but checked rss and it was 449.

bread's done
Back