3D Dot Game Heroes - Out Now - Relive your 8-Bit childhood.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Got a chance to see this game in action courtesy of Atlus and it's looking like it'll be a great game.

There's plenty of humor in the story from the Japanese version (one character you can talk to is called Dr. Dic and there were plenty of male enhancement-level jokes) that sets the tone as a light-hearted tone. The oversized sword is tied to health along with being able to extend or widen it when you visit the blacksmith. There are a bunch of swords to collect and upgrade, which will require some extended time with the game after you beat the game. There is a New Game+ option and a From mode difficulty that gives you less health and adds more enemies to fight. You can play after you've beaten the game, which allows you to explore the map and unlock secrets and other stuff.

There are three mini-games in the game: a foot race, an Arkanoid-style game, and a tower defense game (think crystal defenders with the ability to attack enemies yourself).

The character creator is really cool, as you can set different models for different actions and then save those characters to a thumb stick or memory stick to put on your computer and upload to the hub Atlus will be releasing. They had a DQ-like slime character that turned into a Mega Man-like head when he attacked and later showed off a car that opened its doors and hood when it attacked.

Other bonuses include the ability to take screenshots yourself and a gallery for all of the loading screens (which Atlus has added a bunch more on top of the originals).[/QUOTE]

now im interested.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Love the look, wonder what kind of gameplay. Hope it's not a turnbased RPG.[/QUOTE]

Action/adventure in the same vein as legend of zelda to the point of almost ripping it straight off. My understanding is not like trying to steal the ideas from it, but just trying to make their own version so to speak.

This comes out a couple of days before my birthday. Definitely going on the wish list!

I can't wait to run through the game as MegaMan :p

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I forgot to mention that there will be an option to do an install that will pretty much make all load times a second or two long. They weren't sure how big it would be, but it'll probably be around 2-3 GBs.[/QUOTE]

Awesome news.

I swear, Tanuki, I buy so many games lately due to you.

LOL, now I'm pining for a Dos Equis. Sony needs to snap up their marketing department stat before they have to release another statement about making "a mistake".

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i might make bubba fett. [/QUOTE]

All I can think of is some bastard love child between Boba Fett and the Bubba the shrimp guy from Forrest Gump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the game and did the install, which is 1220 MB and makes load times about a second or two. You can toggle load screens on or off so you still see them.

Without an install it's about five seconds or so, which isn't much more. You'll see plenty of loading screens when going inside houses in the few towns I've already seen, so it might be worth just over 1 GB to minimize them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nope, localized review build. No trophies in this version though. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

That stinks. But still awesome you get to play it.

To give you an idea of how much loading there is, I've seen 66 of the 105 loading screens in about 2:15 of play time and I've definitely seen some of them more than once.

There are a ton of characters to choose from when you start that include some basic archetypes and some interesting options like a funky Santa, a Bancho from Kenka Bancho, a ninja that hides underground, a shark, a car, and even a futbol player. I believe I even saw Rikimaru and a few others from the Tenchu games in there.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']^That's no good. Hope the game's fun regardless.[/QUOTE]

If the PS Blog video from today is anything to judge by, a loading screen lasts 1 second. Wonder if it really goes away with an install... and how big the install is...

[quote name='Saint Noir']If the PS Blog video from today is anything to judge by, a loading screen lasts 1 second. Wonder if it really goes away with an install... and how big the install is...[/QUOTE]
:)
See:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just got the game and did the install, which is 1220 MB and makes load times about a second or two. You can toggle load screens on or off so you still see them.

Without an install it's about five seconds or so, which isn't much more. You'll see plenty of loading screens when going inside houses in the few towns I've already seen, so it might be worth just over 1 GB to minimize them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']To give you an idea of how much loading there is, I've seen 66 of the 105 loading screens in about 2:15 of play time and I've definitely seen some of them more than once. [/QUOTE]

For a second there I thought you meant 66 load screens in 2 minutes and 15 seconds. That's still an awful lot though, even if they only take a second or two. I'd rather have everything load at once, then just play through that area and move on.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seriously?[/QUOTE]

Ah. Been a long and painful day. Let me put on my blind man glasses... :cool: I went blind after I figured my taxes today.

I think I will preorder this now... I have about that exact amount in Gamestop credit.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I believe I even saw Rikimaru and a few others from the Tenchu games in there.[/QUOTE]
God I wish they'd bring back that franchise. Cheesy dialogue and all.

[quote name='Jodou']God I wish they'd bring back that franchise. Cheesy dialogue and all.[/QUOTE]

There was one on Wii not long ago... it was actually pretty good. At least my favorite in a long time.

[quote name='Saint Noir']There was one on Wii not long ago... it was actually pretty good. At least my favorite in a long time.[/QUOTE]
Not buying a Wii for one any game. :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlWsZXGJahg
3D DOT GAME HEROES™ FULL TRAILER LAUNCHES, INJECTS RETRO-SEXY DIRECTLY INTO BRAIN

If you experience sudden, uncontrollable nostalgia lasting longer than four hours, please consult a fellow gamer and/or your parents immediatel

3ddotgameheroes_fulltrailer_still.jpg

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- MARCH 25, 2010 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today released the full video trailer for 3D Dot Game Heroes™, the ultimate retro action-adventure game for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

"Atlus scientists are very excited to announce a breakthrough," begin a jittery, caffeine-addled Aram Jabbari, Manager of Public Relations and Sales. "Many, many sleepless nights later, we've achieved our goal: cramming all of the retro-sexiness that is 3D Dot Game Heroes into a single video trailer. At first we thought it couldn't be done, and maybe we only think we've succeeded... I mean, maybe it just isn't possible to capture all of the humor and parody of the full game, all of the aspects that make it both a stunning new retro adventure and a tribute to the legends of gaming past, in a single video. You'll just have to see for yourselves, I guess..." he trailed off before hurriedly shoving another cup of coffee at his mouth.

A kingdom threatened by an evil demon... a legendary sword nestled in a sacred forest... a hero sent out on a quest through puzzle-filled dungeons... dozens of useful items to collect, weapons to equip, and oversized bosses to best... Sound familiar? That's because it's supposed to! Rediscover the magic of the 8- and 16-bit classics of old, laugh along with countless inside jokes, comic references, and parodies from the past, and explore an all new world filled with its own secrets, wonders, and challenges to overcome!

3D Dot Game Heroes is scheduled to release on May 11, 2010 with an MSRP of $39.99. For more information, visit the official website: http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com. Become a fan of 3D Dot Game Heroes on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/3ddotgameheroes.

Wonder how long before someone makes a site dedicated to creating custom avatars. The Earthbound cast would be wildly popular no doubt.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Isn't Atlas hosting one? I doubt you could do copyrighted ones... never know though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they've announced a site yet. I think all they've said is that you can share them via usb. I'm sure there will be plenty of fan sites, and hopefully a thread on this site dedicated to the best character models.

Atlus will have their own hub site for sharing heroes, though you will probably not be able to upload copyright-infringing characters.

You could just as easily send those codes directly to each other to bypass that stuff.

Damn these trailers! I'm already anticipating this title badly as it is without them.

I hope to create an Optimus Prime avatar, that is if It's not too difficult, and of course, Mario and/or Luigi.

If you're using just their NES sprites, it'll be very simple, though making them look good is another issue since you'd just have a flat 2D character moving and attacking in 3D space.

Has anyone seen any deals/pre-order bonuses for this? At 39.99 its not a big deal if I dont find anything, but as it is Atlus Im hoping for some spoils.

Atlas keeps saying they may announce something, but it is getting pretty close and nothing yet. People always ask about it when they (Atlas) post on Playstation Blog.

bread's done
Back