3DS[i] eShop Shop Thread:**LAST DAY TO GET ZELDA 4 SWORDS FOR FREE**

PictoBits is indeed great! I've only played 2 levels plus attempted the first one in Dark mode (insane!) Great stuff so far. I'm a little bummed to hear it only has 15 levels, though. For those who have played it more - is there randomness or do the levels play exactly the same each time? If the same each time that would not be so good, but if the particular megabits come randomly it will have replay value. Hopefully that's the case?

I may have to give the other game in the series a try.

The last level in Pictobits.. :lol: Actually I am :lol:'ing at the last character. That is SO random.

Also.. ..what's up with this game and no
Metroid
love??? :nottalking:

[quote name='crunchewy']PictoBits is indeed great! I've only played 2 levels plus attempted the first one in Dark mode (insane!) Great stuff so far. I'm a little bummed to hear it only has 15 levels, though. For those who have played it more - is there randomness or do the levels play exactly the same each time? If the same each time that would not be so good, but if the particular megabits come randomly it will have replay value. Hopefully that's the case?

I may have to give the other game in the series a try.[/QUOTE]

There is some randomness, but in terms of which megabits fall at which time. They won't be in new shapes/combinations. Some levels don't have too much variation. One level in particular on normal mode as a bunch of 2x2 squares falling in orange/green/white (I think this is a Devil World level, maybe number 6 or 7), so you can pretty much predict what will happen.

But it's not like you can accurately plan out something 100%. Mostly you'll notice patterns and learn the shapes and respond accordingly, but there is enough to keep you on your toes. Think of it like Lumines - you can play Lumines in such a way that you can ALWAYS know what to do, but there's still enough variation to keep you guessing.

Also, I'm with Lilboo - where's the
Metroid
love? Maybe they used it all up in Tetris DS.

[quote name='Strell']
Also, I'm with Lilboo - where's the
Metroid
love? Maybe they used it all up in Tetris DS.[/QUOTE]

Probably saving up for the sequel.

I completed the normal levels on my way to work today. I found stage 14 to be a lot harder then stage 15. It only took me one try to beat 15, but maybe 10 times to beat stage 14. That one seemed crazy. Now I've got to start earning more coins so I can unlock all the dark levels. I've beaten the first dark level twice. I have the next two unlocked but haven't tried them yet. Playing dark levels isn't the way to earn coins, that's for sure!

Does anyone know what the difference is between the regular music (you can buy) and the "+" music? I bought one of them, but then there's no way to go back to whatever the normal music was to see if there is a difference, at least as far as I can tell. The only obvious difference seems to be a level meter, the display of which seemed to have nothing to do with the music playing.

One rather curious omission, again at least as far as I can tell, is a high score list. I can't tell what my best times/scores are. Is this hidden somewhere i'm not looking? After you complete a level it seems to tell you if it's a new best, but that's it. Your scores and times then disappear into the ether.

In any case it is definitely a great game. Well worth the points.

Your high score and best time shows up on the top screen when you have a level selected, but that's about it.

One thing that I think is kind of lame about it is that it is almost impossible to recover once you've screwed up.

I'm up to Dark 11, and surprisingly Dark 1 is the one that's given me the most trouble.

[quote name='crunchewy']

Does anyone know what the difference is between the regular music (you can buy) and the "+" music? I bought one of them, but then there's no way to go back to whatever the normal music was to see if there is a difference, at least as far as I can tell. The only obvious difference seems to be a level meter, the display of which seemed to have nothing to do with the music playing.
.[/QUOTE]

It appears to be the full track.

An update: Dark 12 is impossible
but I beat it anyway
, dark 13 is just garden-variety bullshit. This game moves way too fast.

Edit: Oh wow, the game's a lot easier when you realize what the 5 coin button is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've beaten all the dark levels. Trying to improve on my scores at this point and unlock the rest of the music.

Incredible game.

I'm calling it now:

The next DS is going to have a third screen on the outside, which will finally make all these clocks useful. Hell, they might even make it a touch screen for use with little apps like calculators.

Either that or the next one will allow the touch screen to be spun outward like a notebook tablet PC.

" The Swedish games studio A Different Game today announced that they have begun development of the augmented reality game "Ghostwire" for the new Nintendo DSi platform. Using the DSi's built-in cameras, the game allows you to find and hunt ghosts seen through the camera lens and projected onto the real world.

Ghostwire is a collection- and adventure game, where you use your handheld device to communicate with ghosts. Your portable device is used as a portal to the astral plane, and helps you find and collect ghosts that exist all around you. In your quest you use real tools, such as the built-in camera and microphone, as well as abstract ones like a "frequency modulator" for tuning in ghosts. Once you find the spirits, you document them and find out why they haunt our world. They can also give you riddles to solve. Ultimately, you can help them to find peace.

"The Nintendo DSi platform is perfect for this game" says Anders Bergman, lead game designer of Ghostwire. "This allows us to enhance the integrated real-world experience with the combination of camera, microphone and touch screen."

Ghostwire received a lot of attention last year, when it won 1st prize in Nokia's N-Gage Mobile Games Innovation Challenge 2008, and was later nominated in two categories in the International Mobile Gaming Awards (IMGA) 2009. Since then, the game has been in development by A Different Game for various smartphones and handheld devices."

http://www.ghostwiregame.com/

[quote name='shlby']" The Swedish games studio A Different Game today announced that they have begun development of the augmented reality game "Ghostwire" for the new Nintendo DSi platform. Using the DSi's built-in cameras, the game allows you to find and hunt ghosts seen through the camera lens and projected onto the real world.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, this sounds quite nifty... I've been having ROTTEN luck with the camera in Warioware Snapped, though... game isn't working for me at all, so I'm not sure I should hold out much hope for this.

[quote name='shlby']If anyone cares, here is a review for popstar. To be honest, it doesn't look that bad of a game, but then again, it's probably not the tea of choice for many of us here.

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/05/pop_superstar_road_to_celebrity_dsiware[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, may actually pick this up now. That's.... surprising ;)

I picked up Pictobits two nights ago. Lots of fun for $5. I have no objections to the content I've recieved out of Pictobits and Dr. Mario. I'm pleasantly suprised so far with the charm of these little games.

I even went so far as to cash in a 2000 points card on the DSi shop since I picked up a few on clearance at a local Wal-Mart.

Still, I would like to see Nintendo launch these things with a bit more items, this feels a bit like the old NES days where king Nintendo would dictate far too much regarding release schedules.

Just wrapped up Dark 11 and will need to grind a bit before I can open 12, 13, and 14. Fun stuff so far, really random selection of NES games (other than all being first year games(.

Pictobits > the entire GB library. Super Flippenators probably belongs on the left there, but I guess it's a day too soon to decide.

People really need to clue me in on all these supposed wonderful GB/GBC games, because I don't remember many at ALL being that good.

I doubt GBA emulation will happen due to power concerns, but that would require that people look at things logically, and this generation of gamers would rather just whine.

Strell, I'd be more excited for GBA games than GB/GBC. You're right. Most of the shit wasn't great. But look at the VC on Wii. There are gems, but, most of it is trash anyway :*(

It would be very similar :lol:

[quote name='Strell']People really need to clue me in on all these supposed wonderful GB/GBC games, because I don't remember many at ALL being that good.

I doubt GBA emulation will happen due to power concerns, but that would require that people look at things logically, and this generation of gamers would rather just whine.[/QUOTE]

Well since GBA games ran natively on the DS and DSLite I dont think its a stretch to assume the DSi could still run the software sans emulation.

Still, I'm not optimistic on a GB/GBA VC either. If there were I wouldnt mind picking up Metroid and Kid Icarus, but I'll concur that GB games probably havent aged well.

GBA games....? That'd be nice, but I'll take the GB/GBC games.
There are definitely some worth downloading.

I like to play GBA on my Micro.

I'll download Flip Champs tomorrow, seems like a cool puzzler type game.

But the DS had the slot, which means it was hardware emulated. The DSi would have to run it via pure software emulation. That in itself isn't a big problem, but it might require more power than the DSi contains. Again, software emulation demands many times the emulated system's power. It's the same with the Wii - it can only do GC emulation because it has the GC's innards - there's no way it would could do so purely in software.

Please note GB/GBC games are weak in terms of power, and thus shouldn't be included here.

I agree a portable VC makes sense, but at this point, let's face it - Nintendo hasn't run the console one well, so it's just setting yourself up for twice the (already frequent) disappointment each week. Further, many companies are talking about how the VC has burned them due to fees associated with securing ESRB ratings. Hudson said this pretty strongly a while ago since a lot of their titles weren't selling well enough to recoup the costs, which also lends the "Nintendo demands X number sold before they give out a profit" rumor a bit more substance. The whole point is that I imagine the VC as a business practice has been soured for Nintendo and third parties considerably more than the optimistic viewpoint of 2005/6 entailed.

I'd much - much - rather have DSiware remakes of the better GB/GBC games than a straight VC. Wayforward wants to remake Metroid 2 in the same vein as Zero Mission - let 'em do it.

Its just that I can easily name dozens of NES/SNES games I love, but have a lot of trouble with GB/GBC games in that regard.

Nintendo's conference is 9 AM PST on Tuesday morning. About a day and a half away. We'll see then. I'm just not holding my breath.

Are you sure the GBA chips aren't a small piece of the DS hardware?
I thought some DS games used some of the GBA hardware chips for misc functions.

EDIT: Also worth noting that PSP can emulate PS1 games just fine and that's pure software.

Clarify, you no Stafi lowball auction winning chizzler.

Edit: And the PSP is almost a portable PS2, so of course it has no issue running those games.

Just seems to me that the leap from PS1 to PS2/PSP, is much wider than GBA to DS.

And I fell asleep and woke up too late to get those Stafi games!!
I was so pissed at myself!

(edit, and i'm not sure where I read about the DS games using GBA hardware for misc functions, i may be wrong)

In the end though, I just want the best of the best GB/GBC games, and that's a small list.

Yeah see, I DID PM Azu about 'em. You were right. Jerk.

And then that Zohar person got 'em. And if YOU had gotten 'em, I was going to go to your house and steal them from you.

If the leap PS1->PSP is wider than the GBA->DS, then that means it's easier to emulate PS1 games. Unless I'm misreading you.

My point was that the one of the ARM chips in the DS/DSlite ran the GBA functions, that chip appears to be still in the DSi only clocked higher. This means the DSi should be able to run the ROMs natively given some sort of wrapper/firmware to boot.

That said, can we get back to complaining about Pictobits... I just completed stars for the first 15 stages only to have my fillings rattled by Dark 12. Ouch...

Does anyone have any advice?

[quote name='Strell']Yeah see, I DID PM Azu about 'em. You were right. Jerk.

And then that Zohar person got 'em. And if YOU had gotten 'em, I was going to go to your house and steal them from you.

If the leap PS1->PSP is wider than the GBA->DS, then that means it's easier to emulate PS1 games. Unless I'm misreading you.[/QUOTE]
Haha, I KNEW it was you.
I'm so good. :cool:

And I just re-read what I wrote. You're right, it doesn't make sense. Hmm.

PSN: Not Yet, Soon Enough
Ooh, ominous.
There is a slim coming just FYI. Those original "leaked" photos were fake but some real ones did pop up later. It's too early in design, so I highly doubt it'll be at E3 however.

I'll believe it when it happens. That's the best policy these days. If a slim shows up and there's a good deal in the future, Sony'll get my money.

Foltzie: Ahhh. I see. That could indeed work then, since any additional power the wrapper required could be offloaded to the other processor. Hmmm.

Hasn't Nintendo typically saved their "good stuff" for the convention after E3? I can't remember the last thing they showed at E3 where they made me rub my chin and say, "...that'll do..." except for the Wii, but I forgot if they showed that at an earlier E3.

Are you thinking of Space World? There is no big Western convention after E3, and Nintendo used to skip TGS to have their own event. Now they just go to TGS, if I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Hasn't Nintendo typically saved their "good stuff" for the convention after E3? I can't remember the last thing they showed at E3 where they made me rub my chin and say, "...that'll do..." except for the Wii, but I forgot if they showed that at an earlier E3.[/QUOTE]

E3 has always been little more than a proving ground for information to the press, but gamers whined so loudly about last year's conference that hopefully Nintendo will at least throw them a bigger bone.

Usually they hold a conference in Japan later in the year (September/October), but that's hardly a guaranteed happening. Space World USED to happen every year, but they put an end to it.

They don't skimp on E3 generally - it's just that they've started to treat it differently than MS/Sony. But again, the whining of gamers is probably altering this year's proceedings.

I can list a couple GB games that are absolutely worth buying today, and the only reason I can only list two is that I have a very, very minimal collection of GB/GBC games. Anyway, I recently purchased the GB game Mole Mania on recommendation from somewhere here at CAG recently and it is indeed a really fun action/puzzle game. Definitely recommend that one. I got it for $4 shipped on ebay, and in perfect condition and with a nice little game case. I'm playing it on my recently purchased GBA SP, purchased because my DSi doesn't play GBA games, and it has the bonus of also playing GB/GBC games. But... I'd much rather play these games on my DSi, in large part just because of the better-for-adult-hands design.

Another GB game I can highly recommend is Super Mario Land 2, which is infinitely superior to Super Mario Land 1. SML2 is a genuinely good Mario platformer. Great game!

EDIT: indeed, Mole Mania is kind of reminiscent of what I've seen of Mighty Flip Champs, though rather then flipping the screen, you dig underground and vice versa.

You can't even understand what's going on!

Remember, everyone: sales of Mighty Flip Champs affect the release of a new Shantae so let's hope it's good.

[quote name='Strell']People really need to clue me in on all these supposed wonderful GB/GBC games, because I don't remember many at ALL being that good.[/QUOTE]

While you are right that the original GB and the GBC had a pretty absurd ratio of garbage to good games , doesn't mean that there aren't enough to bother bringing back.

Off hand , a short list (very short since I didn't really give it a ton of thought , I could do better):
Super Mario Land 1 , 2 and 3 (thanks crunchewy)
Wario Land 1 , 2 and 3
Metroid 2 (which you already kinda mentioned)
Mega Man 5 (completely different from the NES one)
Revelations : The Demon Sword
Mole Mania (again Crunchewy)
LoZ : Link's Awakening
Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2
Magi-Nation
Pokemon (any of them) and Pokemon Trading Card Game :p

[quote name='Strell']I'd much - much - rather have DSiware remakes of the better GB/GBC games than a straight VC. Wayforward wants to remake Metroid 2 in the same vein as Zero Mission - let 'em do it.

Its just that I can easily name dozens of NES/SNES games I love, but have a lot of trouble with GB/GBC games in that regard.[/QUOTE]

Now this I can kinda get behind you on. I agree that there aren't nearly as many memorable GB/GBC games as opposed to NES/SNES/N64 whatever games. I also agree that remakes of some of those games would be pretty nice (I'd take a Zero Mission style remake of Metroid 2).

Unfortunatly issue 1 gives problems to issue 2. If there aren't as many memorable games , then what is there to remake?

You forgot Qix. :V

Remember that Pokemon rumor flying around? Not only would they put out Red and Blue on DSi VC but they'd also have it connect to Pokemon Stadium on the Wii VC.

This is coming from the same NeoGAF guy who had those Pokemon HG/SS rumors awhile ago.

bread's done
Back