3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce']Is there some way of confirming you're part of the Ambassador program? I connected to the store and also linked my account to Club Nintendo, but I didn't get any verification, I want to make sure I get this stuff[/QUOTE]

Check the "News" section in the eStore. It should be the first icon to the left as soon as you enter the eStore. You should have four entries, the top one being "You are a 3DS Ambassador!"

[quote name='PaleGreen']To corroborate what some folks are reporting:

I just got home from my friendly local Best Buy. I spoke with a floor salesdroid who seemed pretty dialed-in to gaming.

He advised me than price protection will NOT be honored on the 3DS. He claimed an official memo was distributed to his store stating as such. Not sure if it's a regional or national thing.

They're apparently working the "bundle" angle. In Best Buy's view, anyone who buys now is getting something different than people get on August 12. As a result, no price adjustments.

A word to the wise! Be careful out there, folks.[/QUOTE]

OK then, why not just go to BB on the 10th and price match Walmart? The 3DSs Walmart sells on the 9th, 10th and 11th also have these "bundled" games.

[quote name='NotoriousCPD']lol at people worried about being "screwed" by Best Buy when they're trying to do a little screwing themselves...[/QUOTE]

Utilizing a clause in a contract that is basically a price warranty is not "screwing" anyone.

If they deny it, put up a fuss in the store. Don't get anywhere there? Email or call Best Buy's customer service line. Worst case scenario, return the thing and buy from someplace else later.

It'll be pretty funny to see the mountains of open box 3DS systems behind the counter if they do try to deny it though.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']I bought 2 at costco that is bundled in a generic brown box. I have ordered 2 169.99 ones from amazon and will replace the unopened units from amazon in brown costco box and taken them back. So, I actually keep the original 3ds from Costco that are registered. They have no record of serial numbers because they never actually see the numbers at Costco. No worry about price match problems.[/QUOTE]

Here's the problem-

The units that you purchased have the serial numbers tracked 5 ways:

1. Through the receipt.
2. Through the retailer.
3. Through the box.
4. Through the device.
5. Through the manufacturer.

All of those have to match. If not, you are SHIT OUTTA LUCK.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Here's the problem-

The units that you purchased have the serial numbers tracked 5 ways:

1. Through the receipt.
2. Through the retailer.
3. Through the box.
4. Through the device.
5. Through the manufacturer.

All of those have to match. If not, you are SHIT OUTTA LUCK.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you have not shopped at Costco. There is no serial number on the receipt. They have no clue what is inside the plain cardboard box bundle. You guys amuse me thinking you know everything. I can return any item from Costco within 90 days. It can be used and still be returned. No questions asked.

[quote name='ssjmichael']He doesn't know what he's talking about, everyone will be fine and if not they return it[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are endorsing fraud.

I know this has probably been asked but so I wont screw mtself how do you connect to the nintendo eshop. I did the update but I didn't see a shop option. TIA

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Sounds like you are endorsing fraud.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'm a generally nice person and I've been silent so far regarding your "situation", but in this case I won't be. I'm tired of you. You of all people need to shut the hell up about fraud. ESPECIALLY when you are way WAY WRONG. All he said was that if Best Buy refused to price adjust the console those who bought it with the intention of keeping it only if they receive a price adjustment would have no reason to keep it. At that point they will just return it. Since you are obviously clueless to Best Buy's return policy, I'll clue you in: you can return an opened video game system, it's only opened software you cannot return. That is likely true too for similar stores such as Target or Walmart, though for those I am not certain.

So you, who already stated you will be defrauding Costco, whether or not you misunderstand the term "fraud" (which you clearly do if you think it is fraud to return an item you don't want to the store you actually purchased it from), need to not accuse others of committing it, especially if you can't even admit that you are doing it yourself.

[quote name='gepet0']I know this has probably been asked but so I wont screw mtself how do you connect to the nintendo eshop. I did the update but I didn't see a shop option. TIA[/QUOTE]

Just tap on the shopping bag icon. It should be the last icon.

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Okay, I'm a generally nice person and I've been silent so far regarding your "situation", but in this case I won't be. I'm tired of you. You of all people need to shut the hell up about fraud. ESPECIALLY when you are way WAY WRONG. All he said was that if Best Buy refused to price adjust the console those who bought it with the intention of keeping it only if they receive a price adjustment would have no reason to keep it. At that point they will just return it. Since you are obviously clueless to Best Buy's return policy, I'll clue you in: you can return an opened video game system, it's only opened software you cannot return. That is likely true too for similar stores such as Target or Walmart, though for those I am not certain.

So you, who already stated you will be defrauding Costco, whether or not you misunderstand the term "fraud" (which you clearly do if you think it is fraud to return an item you don't want to the store you actually purchased it from), need to not accuse others of committing it, especially if you can't even admit that you are doing it yourself.

Just tap on the shopping bag icon. It should be the last icon.[/QUOTE]

You are mixing things up.

Price adjusting is not the same as swapping items with trackable serial numbers. Swapping a device with a trackable serial number is considered fraud and is illegal.

The guy who said Costco doesn't track things through serial numbers is full of shit. ALL retailers track through serial numbers, even Amazon. If you try to pull the switcheroo on Amazon, they send the item right back at ya. They know which item they sent to you because they'll check the box and the device inside and compare it to the registered serial number to your address.

[quote name='Nintendonly']You are mixing things up.

Price adjusting is not the same as swapping items with trackable serial numbers. Swapping a device with a trackable serial number is considered fraud and is illegal.

The guy who said Costco doesn't track things through serial numbers is full of shit. ALL retailers track through serial numbers, even Amazon. If you try to pull the switcheroo on Amazon, they send the item right back at ya. They know which item they sent to you because they'll check the box and the device inside and compare it to the registered serial number to your address.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not mixing anything up. You misread what I typed.

BegFourMercy is the guy defruading Costco and he's the guy I'm yelling at because he said ssjmichael is advocating fraud by suggesting people should return items to the stores they actually bought them at (if they can't get the price adjustment).

***EDIT***
Maybe you were confused by my uses of "he" and "you" in my previous post. "He" meant ssjmichael and "you" meant BegFourMercy.

[quote name='gepet0']I know this has probably been asked but so I wont screw mtself how do you connect to the nintendo eshop. I did the update but I didn't see a shop option. TIA[/QUOTE]

After I updates it was the gold bag app- icon all the way right on the menu screen

[quote name='Nintendonly']
The guy who said Costco doesn't track things through serial numbers is full of shit. ALL retailers track through serial numbers, even Amazon. If you try to pull the switcheroo on Amazon, they send the item right back at ya. They know which item they sent to you because they'll check the box and the device inside and compare it to the registered serial number to your address.[/QUOTE]

No, they don't. No serial number is printed on the receipt. They have no way of tracking it. People have swapped out 'broken' things before (i.e. buying a new one, putting your old one in the box, returning it). It happens.

LOL. Registered serial # to your address :applause:

I can't speak for Costco, but virtually every major retailer registers these types of products via Siras (www.siras.com)

For example, I bought a GameCube, used at Goodwill (which, of course, doesn't register the unit). Using my special log-in to Siras, I was able to find out the following about it, using only the serial number.

The system was originally sold at the Canadian retailer Zellers (store #420, Register #46) on December 19th, 2003. It was one of the Zelda bundles (shame it didn't come with that disc when I got it at Goodwill!). On Jan 19th, 2004, the system was sent back to Nintendo, where it was assigned a new serial number on Feb 9th and reshipped to GameStop (Store #1237 out of Saint Louis, MO) and sold as a refurb on March 17th. All this was discovered via the serial number on the system.

If Costco *doesn't* scan serial numbers, even if it isn't printed on the receipt, I'd be surprised.

Keep in mind, Costco doesn't only have the ability to scan the serial number, but they also track every single purchase you've ever made there via your membership. :D

[quote name='UncleBob']I can't speak for Costco, but virtually every major retailer registers these types of products via Siras (www.siras.com)

For example, I bought a GameCube, used at Goodwill (which, of course, doesn't register the unit). Using my special log-in to Siras, I was able to find out the following about it, using only the serial number.

The system was originally sold at the Canadian retailer Zellers (store #420, Register #46) on December 19th, 2003. It was one of the Zelda bundles (shame it didn't come with that disc when I got it at Goodwill!). On Jan 19th, 2004, the system was sent back to Nintendo, where it was assigned a new serial number on Feb 9th and reshipped to GameStop (Store #1237 out of Saint Louis, MO) and sold as a refurb on March 17th. All this was discovered via the serial number on the system.

If Costco *doesn't* scan serial numbers, even if it isn't printed on the receipt, I'd be surprised.

Keep in mind, Costco doesn't only have the ability to scan the serial number, but they also track every single purchase you've ever made there via your membership. :D[/QUOTE]

...and yet, no employee will do what you do. They will take it back, give you a refund, and be done with it. If Best Buy, or any other retailer, fails to hold up their policy for a price match, they deserve to get a bunch of open-boxed units back.

[quote name='GizmoGC']...and yet, no employee will do what you do. They will take it back, give you a refund, and be done with it. If Best Buy, or any other retailer, fails to hold up their policy for a price match, they deserve to get a bunch of open-boxed units back.[/QUOTE]

We're not talking about a "price match" - we're talking about the idea of buying an item at one retailer and returning it to another retailer. That's not "price matching" in any definition of the phrase.

And the employee doesn't have to do that. At *most* retailers, the register does it automatically when the serial number is scanned.

picked up a black DS from best buy. hinges seem fine to me. its charging at the moment.
i dont have the majority of the free games being offered, so this is a good deal for me.

I'm enjoying my 3DS so far and I have never had issues price matching at Best Buy. We will have no issues getting our $80 back on the 12th. The hard part is waiting the rest of the year for the free GBA games.

[quote name='laseractive'] The hard part is waiting the rest of the year for the free GBA games.[/QUOTE]

Has anything close to a timetable been seen on any site yet?

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Okay, I'm a generally nice person and I've been silent so far regarding your "situation", but in this case I won't be. I'm tired of you. You of all people need to shut the hell up about fraud. ESPECIALLY when you are way WAY WRONG. All he said was that if Best Buy refused to price adjust the console those who bought it with the intention of keeping it only if they receive a price adjustment would have no reason to keep it. At that point they will just return it. Since you are obviously clueless to Best Buy's return policy, I'll clue you in: you can return an opened video game system, it's only opened software you cannot return. That is likely true too for similar stores such as Target or Walmart, though for those I am not certain.

Just tap on the shopping bag icon. It should be the last icon.[/QUOTE]

Returning the exact same item in brand new, unopened with the same UPC to a store is not fraud. They can resell it. You guys are dense if you say otherwise. Let's have a poll of people buying an item at a cheaper price and returning on the receipt with a higher price. Who will throw the first stone....

I did not start this. The guy why accuses that type of return as fraud started this. Looks like he was just trolling. Just check his first reply.

I have a bit of a different situation that I'd love to hear some opinions on.

I purchased my 3DS from Best Buy on June 25th, well before the price cut was announced. Fortunately, I am a Premier Silver member, so I am granted a 45 day return/price match period. The unfortunate part of this is that the last day of the return period falls on August 9th, 3 days before the price drop.

I was hoping that Wal-mart would advertise their price drop starting on the 9th in their Sunday ad, but according to the other thread, the 3DS is not mentioned in the Sunday ad. I would obviously like to get the price match, though I'm concerned that it may not be possible before the 12th. I have considered the possibility of asking the Best Buy manager to price match it on the 9th, and return/re-buy if they decline. This, however, would cause me to lose the $20 point card I installed on the system and Streepass/Pokedex progress that I have made so far.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[quote name='Sutarion']I have a bit of a different situation that I'd love to hear some opinions on.

I purchased my 3DS from Best Buy on June 25th, well before the price cut was announced. Fortunately, I am a Premier Silver member, so I am granted a 45 day return/price match period. The unfortunate part of this is that the last day of the return period falls on August 9th, 3 days before the price match.

I was hoping that Wal-mart would advertise their price drop starting on the 9th in their Sunday ad, but according to the other thread, the 3DS is not mentioned in the Sunday ad. I would obviously like to get the price match, though I'm concerned that it may not be possible before the 12th. I have considered the possibility of asking the Best Buy manager to price match it on the 9th, and return/re-buy if they decline. This, however, would cause me to lose the $20 point card I installed on the system and Streepass/Pokedex progress that I have made so far.

Anyone have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I would bet the manager would offer to match it, they should know by now the price drop is coming. They should rather to match it 3 days early instead of dealing with your return. I would tell them flat out if they can't price match you have to return it although you would really rather not return it.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Returning the exact same item in brand new, unopened with the same UPC to a store is not fraud. They can resell it. You guys are dense if you say otherwise. Let's have a poll of people buying an item at a cheaper price and returning on the receipt with a higher price. Who will throw the first stone....

I did not start this. The guy why accuses that type of return as fraud started this. Looks like he was just trolling. Just check his first reply.[/QUOTE]

When I worked at walmart I know they did not just put returned items back on the shelf to sell even if they seemed unopened. Someone could open and reseal the package well enough and who knows what would be in it. Returns all go through a claims process and sent out of the store.

[quote name='iwannadie']When I worked at walmart I know they did not just put returned items back on the shelf to sell even if they seemed unopened. Someone could open and reseal the package well enough and who knows what would be in it. Returns all go through a claims process and sent out of the store.[/QUOTE]

Which likely means someone is taking a loss on that return

Just because someone wants to do something shady despite having a clear path to a legit pricematch. Pitifully sad

My Best Buy is allowing customers to use the price drop guarantee.

I went in and was helped by the "Games Department Supervisor". I played a bit dumb but my conversation went like this.

Me: Hi, we've got a question. We're interested in getting a 3DS however had read on the internet they're going to be dropping in price on Friday. If we get one today, would we be able to come in on Friday with our receipt and get a refund of the difference.

Guy: Yep. Not a problem.

Me: So I won't need to bring the actual DS in with me or just come in on Friday and buy it at the new low price?

Guy: Nope, as long as you have your receipt you'll be fine.

Also worth noting that Best Buy offers their protection plan, the supervisor also said that those would be dropping in price with the price drop as well. He said that could also be price matched or purchased at the new rate when coming in to do the 3DS adjustment.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']Returning the exact same item in brand new, unopened with the same UPC to a store is not fraud. They can resell it. You guys are dense if you say otherwise. Let's have a poll of people buying an item at a cheaper price and returning on the receipt with a higher price. Who will throw the first stone....

I did not start this. The guy why accuses that type of return as fraud started this. Looks like he was just trolling. Just check his first reply.[/QUOTE]

Other people murder. If I start murdering now is it okay just because other people do it too? Let me help you out with this since I bet your mulling it over: NO!

Just look at what you're doing here. You're advocating buying an item at location A for price X and knowingly "returning" it to location B for price Y when you also know that price X < price Y. The whole point of a return is to get back what you paid for it. If you get back more than you paid for it, you just got something for nothing and are cheating the business, who in this case never even sold you the item to begin with.

Now what you might not realize is that a return policy is basically a contract. Both you and the store you purchase the item from agree that you can return the exact same item --- NOT an identical item, which you are actually advocating (yet you misstated it as the "exact same"), but the EXACT SAME item --- you are purchasing within an allotted amount of time and get back what you paid for it. Instead of doing that, you are purchasing a cheaper identical item elsewhere and "returning" it to the first location as if it is the item you purchased there, using your contract you have with that location. At that point have just committed fraud. As well as that, you are doing all of this to avoid paying taxes. You have just committed tax fraud. Either way you look at it, you are defrauding at least one party.

Now let me just say this one more thing. If theoretically Best Buy were to put the 3DS on sale for an additional $10 off on the 15th after you have "returned" your 3DSes to Costco, would you then go and buy 2 more 3DSes from Best Buy and "return" those to Amazon? Of course not. Because you know that Amazon checks the serial numbers and would discover your DECEPTION. I'm sure you must know that DECEPTION is WRONG, and that it is WRONG to DECEIVE Amazon. At this point you must realize that if it's WRONG to DECEIVE one store IT'S WRONG TO DECEIVE ALL STORES!

Idea- how about we start a thread about the moral impact of the 3DS price drop...that way those of us who want to read about the price drop can do so while the rest of you CAG Police can debate exchange homoerotic messages with one another. So, how bout it? :)

This whole thing with buy the 3DS now and adjust price later makes me think it's pointless for Nintendo to award the 20 free games before August 12. Why don't they just reward everybody...

My predictions (spoilered, so you won't complain):

Target will end up not price matching, by changing DPCI.
Walmart will end up not price matching, by changing SKU.
Gamestop obviously won't price match.
Most Best Buys will price match, except for the rare ones that have stupid managers. They will instead just have a bunch of units to ship back to Nintendo, since they no longer charge a restock fee.

We'll see in less than a week how wrong I am. =P

[quote name='elessar123']My predictions (spoilered, so you won't complain):

Target will end up not price matching, by changing DPCI.
Walmart will end up not price matching, by changing SKU.
Gamestop obviously won't price match.
Most Best Buys will price match, except for the rare ones that have stupid managers. They will instead just have a bunch of units to ship back to Nintendo, since they no longer charge a restock fee.

We'll see in less than a week how wrong I am. =P
[/QUOTE]
What would the stores with price adjustment policies have against people buying it early and then getting it adjusted? It's Nintendo who's giving out the free games so the stores aren't really losing money on these games. If anything they should be happy because it's getting people to buy the systems who probably weren't even planning on buying a 3DS yet but were swayed over by the free games. Otherwise, these systems would have just stayed on the shelves and they would have eventually lowered the price come August 12. I'm just curious to know why people think stores would not honor it, maybe I'm missing some business aspect here.

More stupid stuff! Awhile ago someone said "Just yesterday that guy sent me a crazy PM calling me a troll when I just posted a non-offensive comment," and it seemed like he was referring to me. I don't want to bash him or anything, so I won't say the username. Its old, but i didn't do that and when I asked him to forward the PM he said that it was not me he was referring to. Just felt like saying for some reason.

Back to the on-topic shit flinging

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Other people murder. If I start murdering now is it okay just because other people do it too? Let me help you out with this since I bet your mulling it over: NO!

Just look at what you're doing here. You're advocating buying an item at location A for price X and knowingly "returning" it to location B for price Y when you also know that price X < price Y. The whole point of a return is to get back what you paid for it. If you get back more than you paid for it, you just got something for nothing and are cheating the business, who in this case never even sold you the item to begin with.

Now what you might not realize is that a return policy is basically a contract. Both you and the store you purchase the item from agree that you can return the exact same item --- NOT an identical item, which you are actually advocating (yet you misstated it as the "exact same"), but the EXACT SAME item --- you are purchasing within an allotted amount of time and get back what you paid for it. Instead of doing that, you are purchasing a cheaper identical item elsewhere and "returning" it to the first location as if it is the item you purchased there, using your contract you have with that location. At that point have just committed fraud. As well as that, you are doing all of this to avoid paying taxes. You have just committed tax fraud. Either way you look at it, you are defrauding at least one party.

Now let me just say this one more thing. If theoretically Best Buy were to put the 3DS on sale for an additional $10 off on the 15th after you have "returned" your 3DSes to Costco, would you then go and buy 2 more 3DSes from Best Buy and "return" those to Amazon? Of course not. Because you know that Amazon checks the serial numbers and would discover your DECEPTION. I'm sure you must know that DECEPTION is WRONG, and that it is WRONG to DECEIVE Amazon. At this point you must realize that if it's WRONG to DECEIVE one store IT'S WRONG TO DECEIVE ALL STORES![/QUOTE]

To eah there own. You must have never returned anything without a receipt that was a gift. Or return something from another store. Whatever. I would bet a lot of money you have!!!

I went back to my local Best Buy and had a salesdroid ask "the manager" what the deal is. The bottom line: per the manager, price protection WILL be allowed on the 3DS.

He waffled a bit, saying he hasn't heard anything "official". It makes me wonder if the bean counters at BB HQ are coming up with a plan, but haven't had time to implement it. It wouldn't surprise me to walk in on Monday and see a silly disclaimer on the 3DS display.

Maybe the key is buying NOW, before they've had time to react. I don't know what to make of it at this point. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt! :???:

[quote name='C0V3RT']My Best Buy is allowing customers to use the price drop guarantee.

I went in and was helped by the "Games Department Supervisor". I played a bit dumb but my conversation went like this.

Me: Hi, we've got a question. We're interested in getting a 3DS however had read on the internet they're going to be dropping in price on Friday. If we get one today, would we be able to come in on Friday with our receipt and get a refund of the difference.

Guy: Yep. Not a problem.

Me: So I won't need to bring the actual DS in with me or just come in on Friday and buy it at the new low price?

Guy: Nope, as long as you have your receipt you'll be fine.

Also worth noting that Best Buy offers their protection plan, the supervisor also said that those would be dropping in price with the price drop as well. He said that could also be price matched or purchased at the new rate when coming in to do the 3DS adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Went to a new Best Buy today and my conversation was pretty similar to yours. Left with a 3DS, coming back in a week with my receipt. Very pleased.

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Check the "News" section in the eStore. It should be the first icon to the left as soon as you enter the eStore. You should have four entries, the top one being "You are a 3DS Ambassador!"[/QUOTE]

OK Thanks, it wasn't there when I looked (even though I connected to the shop) so I connected again and now I have it

What this whole thing comes down to is this. Ready?

More people own 3DS.

More people will buy the games.

If I blew anybody's mind, I will delete this post.

I'd have to think Nintendo is overall pleased with this and likely planned it this way.

There seems to be more hype around this price cut than there was for the freaking system at launch. So they end up giving out a bunch of "free" games that are digital distributed and over 10 years old. I imagine it costs them next to nothing to do it and now there are many more 3DS owners than before.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']I'd have to think Nintendo is overall pleased with this and likely planned it this way.

There seems to be more hype around this price cut than there was for the freaking system at launch. So they end up giving out a bunch of "free" games that are digital distributed and over 10 years old. I imagine it costs them next to nothing to do it and now there are many more 3DS owners than before.[/QUOTE]

The only reason there is more hype now is because the people didn't want to dish out $250 at launch with not a great line up will do it for $170. I don't blame anybody for not getting a system day 1 especially knowing Nintendo there will be an upgrade to the system and/or price drop.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']
There seems to be more hype around this price cut than there was for the freaking system at launch.
[/QUOTE]

The hype is around people scamming stores to get 20 free games.

[quote name='gordojones88']The hype is around people scamming stores to get 20 free games.

.[/QUOTE]

Yup... we're all scammers.. Thanks for letting us know what we are.

I went to target tonight and it was hilarious. They said that they would not do a price adjustment since its not a sale. That pretty much jives with their policy written on the wall. The policy says it needs to be an advertised price. Anyway the funny part is that they told me if I went to best buy that best buy would match the price!!! So I went to best buy and talk to the store manager and he said that yes without a doubt they would make the price adjustment.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']I went to target tonight and it was hilarious. They said that they would not do a price adjustment since its not a sale. That pretty much jives with their policy written on the wall. The policy says it needs to be an advertised price. Anyway the funny part is that they told me if I went to best buy that best buy would match the price!!! So I went to best buy and talk to the store manager and he said that yes without a doubt they would make the price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is bull. There's an official press release on Nintendo's site! The smoke & mirrors continues.

I spoke to 3 different managers at Costco and they said they have a 30 day price guarantee policy and if I bring receipt they will adjust it. They also confirmed price adjustment on the 12 in computer. I am not sure why everyone is concerned that the stores will not do the adjustment if it is the policy that the store has then they will do so. The store does not care if you also got the 20 games from Nintendo.

[quote name='gordojones88']The hype is around people scamming stores to get 20 free games.[/QUOTE]

As a retail employee, I don't really see this as a "scam". 3DS systems are not flying off the shelf at $250. If CAGers and like-minded individuals were not picking these systems up now with the intent to price adjust later, the systems would just sit on the shelf until after the price drop. Either way, the stores are only getting $169.99 (plus tax) per system. With their net revenue per unit unchanged, who gives a shaq-fu?

[quote name='Yuckmouth']I went to target tonight and it was hilarious. They said that they would not do a price adjustment since its not a sale. That pretty much jives with their policy written on the wall. The policy says it needs to be an advertised price. Anyway the funny part is that they told me if I went to best buy that best buy would match the price!!! So I went to best buy and talk to the store manager and he said that yes without a doubt they would make the price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='gordojones88']The hype is around people scamming stores to get 20 free games.

.[/QUOTE]

The hype is around people using the price adjustment policy that retail stores have laid out for their customers.

The 20 free games is Nintendo's problem.

.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure my previous post about this was axed in the thread cutting, so I'll say it again:

A price match/adjustment policy is basically a contract to get a price reduction within a certain amount of time if the price goes down anywhere. Utilizing a clause in a contract is not a scam. It's there just for that reason. To be used if it's usable situation occurs.

I bet you're one the elitist people who'll enjoy the thread over on GameFAQs that was mentioned earlier. I read the first page and couldn't stop laughing at all the sheer hatred for those buying now. I would've read further but then I saw that the thread was 44 pages long! I wouldn't be able to read all that without exploding from all the laughter.

On the other hand, this thread doesn't move as fast as it used to. Maybe I'll try to finish up that thread during the downtime. It's just so funny.

bread's done
Back