3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I told them Wal-Mart had it for $169.99 and I want a price adjustment. They looked it up online and called over the manager to approve everything. In the past they have called to Wal-Mart/Target/etc to verify. All I took with me was my receipt from last week.

[quote name='Trullyn']Seattle residents - Another Castle Video Games (Edmonds/Shoreline) is selling them for $169.99 now - good luck.[/QUOTE]

Never even knew about this place until you posted this. Sweet! I'll have to make a trip up there one day (I live in Kent). How are the selection and prices compared to Pink Gorilla?

As for me, I got a price adjustment at Walmart since I bought mine yesterday (Covington, sold out by this afternoon - no F'n way I'm going to the Renton one if I can help it :p). I didn't want to take a chance since there were only four systems in stock at the time (two of each color). The person at the customer service counter was hesitant to do it even though it was already ringing up at the new price, but thankfully the CS person I talked to yesterday was there and told her to do it. "We have a 7-day price guarantee, so that's what we do!" Bless you :)

One thing I should remind people is to bring your box and system into the store for the price adjustment at Walmart! I did not do this and I saw the register ask for the serial number. Thankfully I brought the system with me to get my daily step points, so she scanned the system and I was good to go. However, you really should bring the whole package and system with you like normal. I just had a brain fart and was incredibly lucky I told her to scan the system.

September 1 can't come soon enough! :D

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Never even knew about this place until you posted this. Sweet! I'll have to make a trip up there one day (I live in Kent). How are the selection and prices compared to Pink Gorilla?[/QUOTE] I've never been to Pink Gorilla, but after browsing their website, PG looks to have a bit more. Another Castle has an attached arcade (maybe 20 retro games?) - and I find the games to be extremely well priced. I just picked up a used Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the DS for $14.99. I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're up in the area.

You will uncover a broad range of winter period of your time discount ugg boots for ladies within market, producing it a complicated process to select the quite most significant boot with each and every comfort and design. I hereby make some boots summary under to support you in getting your perfect boots.

[quote name='soonerdoc']you better double check that. i checked today and dslites are $25 trade in and dsi is $50. did they give you the value for a dsi XL ?[/QUOTE]

I will def double check that in the morning with a phone call up there, though he told me it was like 95 for a acceptable and 115 for a like-new. I have the guy's name so meh, lol.

Went to BB last night and got $85.XX back. Worked pretty smoothly, but I wish I had just returned it and then PM'd it at the BX for tax-free, but oh well...

We really should just have one thread for 3ds price drops instead of them all scattered around. Its not even like its a sale or a deal since its a universal price drop.

Price drops on the 3DS have been spotted live on Amazon as well as in-store at Target.

This was pulled from two separate threads in the VGD forum.

I don't see why the separate threads were pulled, at least not without changing the title of this thread to note that some locations already have the lower price.

I went ahead and bought mine at Toysrus. When it drops I'll get the difference back. Bought a bunch of games too with the buy 1 get 1 40% off deal on Monday.

So can u login on ANY 3ds to
The eshop channel to get the games and status? Or does it have to
Be
The console you own? I need to find me a buddy with a 3ds if that's the case. I
Gotta wait just a lil longer to get one. :(

[quote name='Stry-ker']So can u login on ANY 3ds to
The eshop channel to get the games and status? Or does it have to
Be
The console you own? I need to find me a buddy with a 3ds if that's the case. I
Gotta wait just a lil longer to get one. :([/QUOTE]

has to be your own system

[quote name='shrike4242']Price drops on the 3DS have been spotted live on Amazon as well as in-store at Target.

This was pulled from two separate threads in the VGD forum.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that it is live at Target.. I work at Target in Electronics and wasn't even told of the change, I was gonna buy it and price adjust next week.. Saves me the hassle

Well, since it is pink red i don't mind about it but if it was gold 3ds on 9/9 i would be piss lol. But I am pretty happy with ym black 3ds and zelda 3d is awesome~

[quote name='crunchewy']I don't see why the separate threads were pulled, at least not without changing the title of this thread to note that some locations already have the lower price.[/QUOTE]Thread title updated.

What do you guys think about the Hori 3DS protector case? How about the multitude of 3DS crystal hardshell cases that you can buy from HK/China websites?

Took the plunge at my local Target. Also got Zelda and Ghost Recon -- which was on $17 (along with other Ubi 3DS titles) and is apparently a decent tactical RPG.

Weird how hidden the system update option is. Also bummed that my Wii points don't cross over. Otherwise, pretty happy with the purchase. It's a slick piece of hardware. I'll enjoy playing DQ IX and the rest of my DS backlog on it. ;)

Question, if I was to get a 3DS now for the free games, then return the system to Target when the Red one comes out for an exchange, will I still have the games on the new system? Or will I only be able to get the games on the system that first connected to the eshop?

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Question, if I was to get a 3DS now for the free games, then return the system to Target when the Red one comes out for an exchange, will I still have the games on the new system? Or will I only be able to get the games on the system that first connected to the eshop?[/QUOTE]

Ambassador Program is tied to your system, not your account.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Question, if I was to get a 3DS now for the free games, then return the system to Target when the Red one comes out for an exchange, will I still have the games on the new system? Or will I only be able to get the games on the system that first connected to the eshop?[/QUOTE]

Nope. If your system is ever lost of stolen, you also lose everything you've ever bought from their online store as everything is tide to the system's serial. It's almost 2012 and their online service still can't come close to Xbox Live for the original Xbox of nearly a decade ago.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Nope. If your system is ever lost of stolen, you also lose everything you've ever bought from their online store as everything is tide to the system's serial. It's almost 2012 and their online service still can't come close to Xbox Live for the original Xbox of nearly a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

yeah Nintendo is just dumb when it comes to a lot of stuff

[quote name='buckythekat']yeah Nintendo is just dumb when it comes to a lot of stuff[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is not dumb. Wii and NDS have been printing money.
Now their consumers are a different story ;)

Tried system updating my 3DS but a 90% into the download it stops claiming "error". What gives? Are the servers clogged with new 3DS owners or is Nintendo blocking?

NEVERMIND, it went through.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MPoWeRM3']
If your [3DS or Wii] system is ever lost, stolen, [broken or sold] you also lose everything you've ever bought from their online store as everything is tied to the system's serial.
[/QUOTE]

This.
I would have purchased a lot more Wiiware games if I could keep them.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']Nope. If your system is ever lost of stolen, you also lose everything you've ever bought from their online store as everything is tide to the system's serial. It's almost 2012 and their online service still can't come close to Xbox Live for the original Xbox of nearly a decade ago.[/QUOTE]

i thought someone mentioned earlier there is a 3ds to 3ds system transfer tool but nintendo hasn't enabled it yet?

[quote name='frpilot']i thought someone mentioned earlier there is a 3ds to 3ds system transfer tool but nintendo hasn't enabled it yet?[/QUOTE]

I did. The 3DS has system transfer option. If you click on 3DS to 3DS it tell you that it will be enabled in a system update.

[quote name='reddjoey']I did. The 3DS has system transfer option. If you click on 3DS to 3DS it tell you that it will be enabled in a system update.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like you have to have both 3DS's in your hands at the same time?
Which doesn't help the lost, stolen, broken, traded-in-towards-new-3DSiXLite.
I just really want Nintendo to incorporate a username account with my online purchases, soon please.

[quote name='gordojones88']That sounds like you have to have both 3DS's in your hands at the same time?
Which doesn't help the lost, stolen, broken, traded-in-towards-new-3DSiXLite.
I just really want Nintendo to incorporate a username account with my online purchases, soon please.[/QUOTE]
That's sounds accurate. Hopefully they will make it easier if you don't have your old 3DS.

I'm hoping Nintendo finally starts to embrace the internet and most of the things that have become a standard for online functionality.

okay guys, i am freaking out. i cannot connect to the eshop because it says it needs an update. i nintendo not letting people online? any help would be appreciated

[quote name='strangelove']okay guys, i am freaking out. i cannot connect to the eshop because it says it needs an update. i nintendo not letting people online? any help would be appreciated[/QUOTE]

Don't worry. Just keep trying. It's probably that they're getting battered with new registrations or something. I still get the occasional weird connection glitch with my Wii, and that thing is directly underneath my wireless router downstairs.

Finally got a 3DS without any stuck pixels. Had to go through three. Fourth time lucky! Ridiculous, Nintendo. Poor employees at Target felt bad for me...

[quote name='reddjoey']That's sounds accurate. Hopefully they will make it easier if you don't have your old 3DS.[/quote]

No, they wont. The DRM is done for the 3DS, it is the same trash as the Wii/DSi where its tied to the system and thats that. Nintendo will receive not even one penny from me as long as this goes on. Account based transactions that carry over or no sale. No clue how you guys put up with it. Although judging by the sales #s of wiiware games (less then 1k in most cases from what ive read of various wiiware devs), i guess i am not alone here.

I'm hoping Nintendo finally starts to embrace the internet and most of the things that have become a standard for online functionality.

They wont. Japanese companies including sony have no clue how to do things to set standards, as the standards move too fast for them to keep up. Western companies are much quicker to get things up to snuff and pushed through. Ontop of that, nintendo wishes the internet would just go away and let them sell 40 dollar N64 remakes in peace.

The 3DS is kind of a weird handheld if you ask me. Too much gimmick with the 3D and a poor battery life, not to mention it's got a poor list of games.

And as someone else said, Nintendo has released so many variations of the DS that it's just taken away any chance of this handheld doing well.

I agree, I wont buy a single download title until they have it associated with an account. When I first got my wii I didn't realize it was tied to the system only. I bought some games and now that wii is long gone (got it at launch) and I have a black wii and it has zero downloadable games. Sure, I'd like to get A Link to the Past again (had it on my old wii) and other games like Mario RPG, etc. but until they do it based on accounts nintendo wont see a penny from me in digital download sales.

I was reading awhile ago that the sales for virtual console games were bad and they were starting to stop releasing games for the virtual console. Well I wonder why Nintendo? I don't want to have to buy the same games 10 times. Nintendo knows what they are doing with this, but it is sad when an illegal download is more useful than something you pay for. I am not one to use roms and such, but Nintendo is driving people to using them because of their strange ways for handling digital downloads.

[quote name='blitz6speed']No, they wont. The DRM is done for the 3DS, it is the same trash as the Wii/DSi where its tied to the system and thats that. Nintendo will receive not even one penny from me as long as this goes on. Account based transactions that carry over or no sale. No clue how you guys put up with it. Although judging by the sales #s of wiiware games (less then 1k in most cases from what ive read of various wiiware devs), i guess i am not alone here.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That's why I'm not looking into rebuying the 3DS. I bought one last month just for Dead or Alive Dimensions (big fan here but the game is no where near as good a DOAU and 4). The system had very wobbly hinges so I exchanged for another one. Before I did the exchange, I had street pass and auto download enabled to download the daily free costumes from Tecmo for the DOA game. After getting the replacement unit, I put back all the contents on the SD card. The save worked but all the costumes downloaded did not. I then look at the contents of the SD card again and found that the 2nd 3DS created another directory for this game and it imported the save but not the DLC. I'm not sure if this is a Nintendo or Tecmo thing but locking DLC to the system is also a stupid thing. If only Nintendo locks everything to account like the other consoles, then it would be so much better. Then the price drop announcement came and I returned the whole system completely. Was thinking about rebuying when the $170 rolls around but I'm not favoring that decision anymore because all these online content locking to system crap along with stupid meaningless friend codes, and overall, a very weak online environment. I'll just wait for the Vita as a true next gen portable and hope Tecmo would port a DoA game there.

Played some Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I have to say I think the 3D capabilities are utterly useless. Gives the game a terrible, shimmering effect. Yuck. It's staying off. And thank you, Nintendo, for the ridiculous "3D" LED that stays lit up the entire time you're playing, to the right of the top LCD.

I have to say, and I hate to admit it after just buying it yesterday, but 3DS is ugly, clunky, design-flawed (hinges, bottom part scratching top screen etc), STILL overpriced, has pretty head-ache-inducing, shimmery 3D, poor battery life, and there are zero AAA games for it except for Zelda, which is HOW many years old, now? And don't get me started on the eShop. You lose your 3DS or it dies? Goodbye all your data and downloads!

But still... Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I live and hope. Pretty sad that all we can expect from Nintendo these days on any of their consoles are re-hashed 1st party titles. *sigh*.

bread's done
Back