3DS MSRP Drop to $169.99 On 08/12/11, already at Target, WM, Amazon

Celsius

CAGiversary!
Pre-order at the lower price at Amazon
iconwalmart_r3.gif
Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

Quick Details:

Connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the below free games:

NES Virtual Console games:
Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong JR.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climbers
The Legend of Zelda
+ 5 more

Gameboy Advance Virtual Console games (exclusive to this program)
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Mario Kart Advance
Metroid Fusion
Wario ware
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
+ 3 more

US Press Release
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo of America today announced plans to drop the suggested retail price of its portable Nintendo 3DS™system to $169.99 in the United States, as new games based on some of the world’s most beloved video game franchises head to the system. The new price, down from the suggested launch price of $249.99 and effective Aug. 12, makes an outstanding value even better and sets up a strong holiday season for the system.

“For anyone who was on the fence about buying a Nintendo 3DS, this is a huge motivation to buy now,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “We are giving shoppers every incentive to pick up a Nintendo 3DS, from an amazing new price to a rapid-fire succession of great games.”

Nintendo 3DS has the strongest software lineup of any video game system this holiday season and the new price now opens up the glasses-free 3D experience to many more consumers. Building on the popularity of The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, which launched June 19, the upcoming game calendar is a Who’s Who of iconic video game franchises. Star Fox 64™ 3D arrives on Sept. 9, followed by Super Mario™ 3D Land in November, Mario Kart™ 7 in December and Kid Icarus™: Uprising during the holiday season. In addition to great games, Nintendo 3DS has a host of attractive features* that make it the must-have video game system this season:

The new Nintendo Video™ service automatically delivers short 3D videos from the worlds of music, comedy, animation and Hollywood.A free application allows Netflix members with unlimited streaming plans to instantly watch TV episodes and movies streaming from Netflix.

The Nintendo eShop is a digital store for Nintendo 3DS owners that provides access to a wide variety of downloadable content, such as original 3D software, classic games that have been re-mastered in 3D called 3D Classics, Game Boy™ and Game Boy Color “Virtual Console” games in their original 2D glory, and more than 350 Nintendo DSiWare™ games. Visitors can also view video game trailers, screen shots and product information for games, including those available at retail locations.

Since Nintendo 3DS launched in the United States on March 27, more than 830,000 people in the U.S. alone have purchased one to enjoy 3D visuals without the need for special glasses. These Nintendo 3DS owners represent some of Nintendo’s most loyal customers, and Nintendo is rewarding them for getting in on the action early with 20 free downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11. These users will automatically be registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program. The program contains two elements:

Starting Sept. 1, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in the Nintendo eShop to the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, are slated to become paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors get them early for free. Once the paid versions of the games are posted to the Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on the Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this program will be announced in the future.

Japan details
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110728_3e.pdf

For Japan, if you buy before august 12, 2011 -- the day of the price drop you get 10 free VC NES games and 10 free VC GB advance games. the VC gba games will only be made available for early adopters -- and never for those who buy on the price drop date.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/info110728/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WilliamG']Played some Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I have to say I think the 3D capabilities are utterly useless. Gives the game a terrible, shimmering effect. Yuck. It's staying off. And thank you, Nintendo, for the ridiculous "3D" LED that stays lit up the entire time you're playing, to the right of the top LCD.

I have to say, and I hate to admit it after just buying it yesterday, but 3DS is ugly, clunky, design-flawed (hinges, bottom part scratching top screen etc), STILL overpriced, has pretty head-ache-inducing, shimmery 3D, poor battery life, and there are zero AAA games for it except for Zelda, which is HOW many years old, now? And don't get me started on the eShop. You lose your 3DS or it dies? Goodbye all your data and downloads!

But still... Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I live and hope. Pretty sad that all we can expect from Nintendo these days on any of their consoles are re-hashed 1st party titles. *sigh*.[/QUOTE]Well, if you people would stop buying their garbage it would send a clear message to Nintendo that they're on the wrong track. They don't care about the gamer anymore, only how many systems they can sell on gimmicks and rehashed games. The fact that the Wii U controller was the only thing shown at E3 should have been a red flag at least.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, if you people would stop buying their garbage it would send a clear message to Nintendo that they're on the wrong track. They don't care about the gamer anymore, only how many systems they can sell on gimmicks and rehashed games. The fact that the Wii U controller was the only thing shown at E3 should have been a red flag at least.[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged. :(

[quote name='Jodou']Well, if you people would stop buying their garbage it would send a clear message to Nintendo that they're on the wrong track. They don't care about the gamer anymore, only how many systems they can sell on gimmicks and rehashed games. The fact that the Wii U controller was the only thing shown at E3 should have been a red flag at least.[/QUOTE]

That wii u reveal was the worst console reveal I've ever seen. The fact that the screen can't be more then 25 feet or so from the console (the console wasn't even shown lol) and that the screen isn't even hd made it worse

[quote name='strait edge follower']That wii u reveal was the worst console reveal I've ever seen. The fact that the screen can't be more then 25 feet or so from the console (the console wasn't even shown lol) and that the screen isn't even hd made it worse[/QUOTE]
The real problem is only one can be used per system. They're RECYCLING the wii-mote for your friends, which proves they're just updating the Wii with better hardware. Guess what? I already have a PS3 and 360. Nintendo has nothing new to offer and if I wanted a handheld controller, I'd buy a portable system with more than just first party titles to offer.

I grew up on Nintendo, so it's really sad how far they've fallen.

Well, due to all of the things I've heard about it, I'm going to pass. Thought it might pan out eventually (and it might) with better games, but buying the system now for games I've already played through and own isn't worth it. Especially when the battery life sucks and it'll probbaly go down in price again when there are games worth owning.

[quote name='WilliamG']Played some Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I have to say I think the 3D capabilities are utterly useless. Gives the game a terrible, shimmering effect. Yuck. It's staying off. And thank you, Nintendo, for the ridiculous "3D" LED that stays lit up the entire time you're playing, to the right of the top LCD.

I have to say, and I hate to admit it after just buying it yesterday, but 3DS is ugly, clunky, design-flawed (hinges, bottom part scratching top screen etc), STILL overpriced, has pretty head-ache-inducing, shimmery 3D, poor battery life, and there are zero AAA games for it except for Zelda, which is HOW many years old, now? And don't get me started on the eShop. You lose your 3DS or it dies? Goodbye all your data and downloads!

But still... Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. I live and hope. Pretty sad that all we can expect from Nintendo these days on any of their consoles are re-hashed 1st party titles. *sigh*.[/QUOTE]

I think the 3d effect look pretty damn nice. Btw, if I bring in the frys paper tomorrow to walmart with my 3ds receipt from tuesday.. would they let me pm and get the $30 gift card?

[quote name='Xellos2099']
Iif I bring in the frys paper tomorrow to walmart with my 3ds receipt from tuesday.. would they let me pm and get the $30 gift card?[/QUOTE]

Walmart does not do Gift Card price matching.

Nintendos on the wrong track?

Thats why Microsoft and Sony try to copy everything they do?

Please Nintendo is the purest of all 3 companies NOT THAT NINTENDO IS ENTIRELY PURE just more so than those 2

With Sony and Microsoft, gaming is a side thing and more of a toy. They put it out for shits and giggles. Nintendos actually dedicated to gaming solely.

The 3D capabilities are outstanding and the word gimmick has been overused and misused a hell lot.

At least Nintendo keeps trying something new besides the bland "new graphics" and "making gaming more NOT gaming more "overall entertainment"

[quote name='ferzan']With Sony and Microsoft, gaming is a side thing and more of a toy. They put it out for shits and giggles. Nintendos actually dedicated to gaming solely.

At least Nintendo keeps trying something new besides the bland "new graphics" and "making gaming more NOT gaming more "overall entertainment"[/QUOTE]

I think there's something wrong here imo. That's just me.

[quote name='anbu-black-ops']I think there's something wrong here imo. That's just me.[/QUOTE]

How is it wrong? Microsofts been in gaming for less than a decade. Sonys been in gaming for about a decade. Both have VERY successful markets in other areas. They only entered gaming for EXTRA profit

Don't get me wrong, netflix and all that is very nice to have. But it all started with Sony and Microsoft and it has nothing to do with gaming. ESPECIALLY BLURAY. WOW what a step back in terms of gaming. Cinema quality was being promoted for a GAMING CONSOLE

Not that Nintendo isn't a corporation or isn't greedy at times. I just feel they get WAY too much hate when trying to do different.

A lot of people seem to want Nintendo to do exactly what the PS3 and 360 can but JUST with their franchises (mario, zelda, metroid, etc.).

It doesn't work that way and I appreciate Nintendo trying to strive forward with being that same 3rd console

Does BB match gift cards? I don't expect they do as they have shot down BxG1 free deals before for me. But it doesn't hurt to ask if anyone knows otherwise. :)

[quote name='Xellos2099']How about the free game offer from toyrus?[/QUOTE]

2nded. Would Walmart match that toysrus deal? Is there going to be a physical ad of it in stores?

[quote name='MorPhiend']Does BB match gift cards? I don't expect they do as they have shot down BxG1 free deals before for me. But it doesn't hurt to ask if anyone knows otherwise. :)[/QUOTE]
I thought Best Buy matched gift cards by just taking it off the total. So if there is a $30 gift card they would just make it $140. I could be wrong on this though.

Edit: I found this

"How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer."

[quote name='WilliamG']

[/QUOTE]

Preach on, man. I'm still pissed at Nintendo for the same reason.

Condensed version: I bought a Wii at launch, bought the Best Buy replacement plan, and throughout time bought over $200 of Virtual Console games. The disc lens dies, BB gives me a new one. Nintendo says I have no way of redownloading all that stuff I bought without sending them BOTH consoles for them to transfer even though they have both console serials on file. That should be enough for them to know this is legit, right? WRONG.

fuck Nintendo. The only two reasons I still have my Wii are my girlfriend and Sin & Punishment 2.

[quote name='Xellos2099']How about the free game offer from toyrus?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ferzan']2nded. Would Walmart match that toysrus deal? Is there going to be a physical ad of it in stores?[/QUOTE]

Nope.
Walmart and Target only do price matching on an exact item
from a local competitor's printed weekly sales ad.
Nothing else at all.
They won't even price match their own websites,
which are run by different companies.
Best Buy is the only one I know that does more.

Wow this thread has gotten waaay the fuck off topic.

I picked up a 3DS at Target today and updated the firmware. I'm in on the eShop. To get in on the ambassador program is there anything I need to do in the eShop? Anything I need to sign up for?

[quote name='hxcmusic']Wow this thread has gotten waaay the fuck off topic.

I picked up a 3DS at Target today and updated the firmware. I'm in on the eShop. To get in on the ambassador program is there anything I need to do in the eShop? Anything I need to sign up for?[/QUOTE]
no u will get a msg saying u are apart of the Ambassador program

Hooray! I did it! I survived the great price drop/20 free games deal without buying a system that I won't be able to play enough to justify the cost! My resolve held firm!

Enough with the exclamations but I'm happy to wait for the 3ds lite. Not getting to play Zelda 3d is annoying but I still have tons of stuff to catch up on.

Say what you want about their hardware gimmicks and shovelware, but Nintendo's first party games still have the best damn gameplay around. Their games are timeless.

I still play Super Mario Bros all the time but I never touch an EA or Activision game that is more than a couple of months old..

Here's s stupid question I can't quite seem to get the answer to:

I got a console today (at BB, adjusted to the new price, of course), as a future birthday present for my brother (b'day in September). The whole reason for even getting it this far in advance was that I thought it would be cool to be able to give him an 'Ambassador' console, with the bonus 20 games already on it.

I went through the process of setting it up, downloading the sytem update, and going into the eShop. If I go into the News section I get the Ambassador program message, so I am thinking it's all good, but I am wondering about the whole Club Nintendo account/registering the console, etc...? I know it says on the 3DS that an account is not required to use the eShop, but do I need to have one linked to get the free games?

[quote name='sgaldis']Here's s stupid question I can't quite seem to get the answer to:

I got a console today (at BB, adjusted to the new price, of course), as a future birthday present for my brother (b'day in September). The whole reason for even getting it this far in advance was that I thought it would be cool to be able to give him an 'Ambassador' console, with the bonus 20 games already on it.

I went through the process of setting it up, downloading the sytem update, and going into the eShop. If I go into the News section I get the Ambassador program message, so I am thinking it's all good, but I am wondering about the whole Club Nintendo account/registering the console, etc...? I know it says on the 3DS that an account is not required to use the eShop, but do I need to have one linked to get the free games?[/QUOTE]

Nope, but you will get coins for each game. If they're as stated you SHOULD get 400 for them alone. You add in the system link and the system then you have platinum status too.

OK, cool...I just want to have the games on the console, but let him register his account with it, if at all possible. And after some digging on Nintendo's site, I did finally find this in one of their FAQ's:

My Club Nintendo Account Does Not Show My Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Status
Situation:

Club Nintendo is not showing an Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Status

Important Note! A Club Nintendo account is not required to qualify for the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program.

Information:

The Nintendo 3DS Ambassador status will not show as a status in a Club Nintendo account. Click here for steps on checking your Nintendo 3DS Ambassador status.

Guys, I bought a 3DS, went online, got the firmware update and connected to the eShop, but didn't get any messages. Am I an Ambassador?

The message has disappeared..

Situation:

The News Article in the Nintendo eShop stating that the consumer is an Ambassador has disappeared

Information:

The News Article in the Nintendo eShop stating, "You Are A Nintendo 3DS Ambassador!" was removed prior to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program deadline as only systems connecting before that time were eligible.

If you connected to the Nintendo eShop or performed the latest system update before 11:59pm Eastern August 11, 2011, you will be able to download the first ten free games being offered on September 1, 2011.

If you are unsure of your Ambassador status, you can check back here later next week for more information on checking your Nintendo 3DS Ambassador status.

The message has disappeared..

Situation:

The News Article in the Nintendo eShop stating that the consumer is an Ambassador has disappeared

Information:

The News Article in the Nintendo eShop stating, "You Are A Nintendo 3DS Ambassador!" was removed prior to the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador program deadline as only systems connecting before that time were eligible.

If you connected to the Nintendo eShop or performed the latest system update before 11:59pm Eastern August 11, 2011, you will be able to download the first ten free games being offered on September 1, 2011.

If you are unsure of your Ambassador status, you can check back here later next week for more information on checking your Nintendo 3DS Ambassador status.

[quote name='ferzan']How is it wrong? Microsofts been in gaming for less than a decade. Sonys been in gaming for about a decade.[/QUOTE]

Just to nit pick...

MS has been into console gaming for a few months shy of 10 years. That's kinda the whole point of Halo Anniversary.

Sony has been into console gaming since 1995. So that's 15 years.

I'm not sure if you're a young guy or an old gamer, but I just wanted to nit pick and throw that out. As a 30 year old both of those dates seem like yesterday. So I don't blame you if you're older and you're like me and time just got away from you.

Hell, I remember driving home 200 miles from work, going to Best Buy and getting my Xbox and Halo for my 21st B-day in Jan 2002. How can that be almost 10 years? Hell if I know, but time doesn't lie.

I bought min yesterday cuz walmart sold it for $170 early. So I got the good old price drop plus the 20 games. otherwise i'd have waited longer to get one. As it stands i only want starfox, kid icarus, and ocarina of time anyway on the system.

Any idea when Best Buy's price will officially drop? I'm stopping by after work tonight for my price adjustment, and it would just be easier if they already have it at that price. Website was still showing $249 as of a few minutes ago.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Any idea when Best Buy's price will officially drop? I'm stopping by after work tonight for my price adjustment, and it would just be easier if they already have it at that price. Website was still showing $249 as of a few minutes ago.[/QUOTE]

Not sure exactly when but they have not yet dropped it. Just left the store and still scans for 250 and the same on the web site.

[quote name='ClevelandBrowns']I thought Best Buy matched gift cards by just taking it off the total. So if there is a $30 gift card they would just make it $140. I could be wrong on this though.

Edit: I found this

"How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer."[/QUOTE]

Looks like that's from the old policy. They've changed the official one on their site to include the following two statements:

"The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items..."

"Does Best Buy price match "free gift with purchase" offers?
No. Best Buy does not price match "free gift with purchase" orders."

The best bet for people is probably to use the store locator to find their local stores and then look under the news & announcements tab. Seems more than a few stores still have the old policy listed there, so people might have some luck printing that and using it, especially if it's from the store you're visiting.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Any idea when Best Buy's price will officially drop? I'm stopping by after work tonight for my price adjustment, and it would just be easier if they already have it at that price. Website was still showing $249 as of a few minutes ago.[/QUOTE]

I walked in at 10 when they opened and they had no problem just adjusting the price. Got $84 back (the extra was of course tax). No hassles, everything went smoothly

Hmmm. It is still $249.99 on their site. I guess you can "price-match" Target or Wal Mart instead or use the Nintendo press release. I guess I'll wait until the afternoon and do that if nothing changes.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']I walked in at 10 when they opened and they had no problem just adjusting the price. Got $84 back (the extra was of course tax). No hassles, everything went smoothly[/QUOTE]

I see you're near me. Which Best Buy did you go to?

According to our news, it was supposed to drop today so that's strange if it didn't at your store.

[quote name='Xellos2099']I think the 3d effect look pretty damn nice. Btw, if I bring in the frys paper tomorrow to walmart with my 3ds receipt from tuesday.. would they let me pm and get the $30 gift card?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ferzan']2nded. Would Walmart match that toysrus deal? Is there going to be a physical ad of it in stores?[/QUOTE]

Walmart's official PM policy:

We DO NOT match the price in the following types of competitor ads:

• Items with no actual price that require a purchase to get free product
    • example: "Buy both [items A & B] to get [item C] for free"
  • Items that require a purchase to get a competitors' gift card
    • example: "Buy [item A] to get a $B gift card
http://walmartstores.com/10563.aspx

Price matched no problem 3 hours ago. Asked about the toys r us deal but was politely declined. No biggie. The system is awesome

Got everything taken care of a couple of hours ago as well. Got my refund to my card luckily as I used a mix of gift cards and my credit to pay for the system. Thank you, CAG.

[quote name='Ertai']Got back from Best Buy, got the Price difference matched as well as the Toys R Us free game.[/QUOTE]

Did you have an ad? What did you say/do?

[quote name='Ertai']Got back from Best Buy, got the Price difference matched as well as the Toys R Us free game.[/QUOTE]

wow. thats very YMMV. lucky u.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Did you have an ad? What did you say/do?[/QUOTE]

I had the ad and the website on my phone. I just walked over to the cs desk and asked for a price match.

Walked in today at Best Buy with receipt in hand. Mentioned I heard there was a price drop. She scanned it in and gave a triple, deer in the headlights look (I guess I was her first). She asked between each glance "is this the new DS", "the 3d one". And I was like Yes. Never seen an employee so shocked in my life. Got my $85 dollars back and left. :D

My whole price adjustment at Best Buy took less than a minute. Either I was not the first person getting my purchase adjusted or the cashier already knew about it when she saw my receipt. Getting my 20 free games (eventually) and the discounted price. Thanks BB, original poster and Nintendo :D

bread's done
Back