Amazon 19 Days of Deals + Afternoon Lightning Deals - Today: The Finale

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Don't forget to check back in the afternoon, as Lightning Deals are expected daily.
iconamazon.gif
Amazon 19 Days of Deals

:pc: Amazon Game Downloads offers $1.99 Puzzle Games, including:

Late Breaking Deals - Check this page for more downloadable deals *NOTE: These will change more frequently than other promotions during this time period.*:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jaysonguy']A shift to higher prices, longer shipping, gas prices, and sales tax?

Best Buy didn't do anything special this holiday season and K Mart?
Their rep is trying hard but it's also a store on the out that has most of it's locations in conditions so deplorable that you can't get whatever's on sale.

Amazon is still the best place to go for prices, the old argument used to be "bu bu but we have to be in front of the computer all day for a deal" and now with everyone and their dog having a smart phone that's no longer an issue.

Best Buy needs to lower their prices to cover tax, offer real customer service, and offer free 2 day shipping and then we may see a shift All we have now is people saying Best Buy is good because they fail to see everything connected with those "deals"

K-Mart, you actually brought up K-Mart as a good thing, wow[/QUOTE]

Since you're attitude in addressing me is full of whining and simply annoys me, I have no choice but to speak to you as a child...

First of all...child...learn to read within the context of what is written. I mentioned KMart only to describe who Josh is around here...and the fact he HAS been doing a great job and steering KMart's gaming department in the right direction due to his aggressive leadership within their marketing/buying department.

Secondly...child...Best Buy has delivered way better deals, not only this BF and CM, but has been on a consistent level with their DOTD's. Sure you have to pay tax...but when Vanquish is on sale for $4.99 with free shipping...tax is inconsequential.

Free 2-day shipping? I have a BB that is no more than a 2-3 minute drive for in-store pickup. A lot faster than free 2-day shipping. And since I'm a patient person that always uses Amazon's FSSS (via USPS...which take better care of my packages), waiting a bit for shipping doesn't bother me.

Also, I've had nothing but positive exchanges with Best Buy's CSR. Nothing different than Amazon's. In fact, BB CSR seem to be local employee's who have a better grasp of the English language...so I don't have to repeat my issues and process times are much quicker.

But let's not derail the train too much. I was talking about pure deals. The simple fact is Best Buy has been providing the best deals lately...period. With prices much lower than Amazon...even after taxes, which is another fact. Amazon simply needs to step up their game. If they don't, customers will go where the better deals are...and these last few days prove that. They also need to fix and get rid of their broken Lightning Deal sales model. It annoys customers. And anytime a retailer annoys customers, they are doing it wrong. Amazon's video game customer base has become too big to continue utilizing the current LD system.

There is nothing more to discuss.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']A shift to higher prices, longer shipping, gas prices, and sales tax?

Best Buy didn't do anything special this holiday season and K Mart?
Their rep is trying hard but it's also a store on the out that has most of it's locations in conditions so deplorable that you can't get whatever's on sale.

Amazon is still the best place to go for prices, the old argument used to be "bu bu but we have to be in front of the computer all day for a deal" and now with everyone and their dog having a smart phone that's no longer an issue.

Best Buy needs to lower their prices to cover tax, offer real customer service, and offer free 2 day shipping and then we may see a shift All we have now is people saying Best Buy is good because they fail to see everything connected with those "deals"

K-Mart, you actually brought up K-Mart as a good thing, wow[/QUOTE]

You bring up a good pint with Gas Prices. Both companies with ground shipping take the same amount of time for purchases, and this coming from somebody who lives less a 1 hour ferry ride away from their headquarters.

Best Buy depending on how you look at it followed or took the lead with the games to put on discount and the prices. Take for example the xbox 360 bundle, they had it for the same $199 that others had it for. Amazon had it too, the difference is that Best Buy seemed to have 150K units to ship while Amazon had maybe 50K that went in 60 seconds. The point is that BB had the deals last for a few hours and not seconds that they did on Amazon. As for prices, they seems the exact same to me $199, $24.99, etc... Amazon took their price from other retailers (or vice-versa). So the saving was in taxes. Great for a up to 10% discount. BB gives reward dollars on purchases equal to about 5%.

Show me where Amazon offers free two day shipping!

On topic I love Amazon. But look forward to day 2.

On topic, are any of these good for a 5 year old girl? Seems like a lot of reading. We have both a Wii and DS, but not sure if I want to bite. The Princess, Tinkerbell or Tangled seem interesting.

[quote name='doubledown']On topic, are any of these good for a 5 year old girl? Seems like a lot of reading. We have both a Wii and DS, but not sure if I want to bite. The Princess, Tinkerbell or Tangled seem interesting.[/QUOTE]

They may not be in this sale but has your daughter tried the momma games (like cooking mamma) ? They aren't expensive and she will probibly have much more fun with those than the games in this day 1 sale imo

Pfft. They didn't even put Disney Universe on the list. Also surprised that Toy Story 3 for PSP didn't make the list again.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Since you're attitude in addressing me is full of whining and simply annoys me, I have no choice but to speak to you as a child...

First of all...child...learn to read within the context of what is written. I mentioned KMart only to describe who Josh is around here...and the fact he HAS been doing a great job and steering KMart's gaming department in the right direction due to his aggressive leadership within their marketing/buying department.

Secondly...child...Best Buy has delivered way better deals, not only this BF and CM, but has been on a consistent level with their DOTD's. Sure you have to pay tax...but when Vanquish is on sale for $4.99 with free shipping...tax is inconsequential.

Free 2-day shipping? I have a BB that is no more than a 2-3 minute drive for in-store pickup. A lot faster than free 2-day shipping. And since I'm a patient person that always uses Amazon's FSSS (via USPS...which take better care of my packages), waiting a bit for shipping doesn't bother me.

Also, I've had nothing but positive exchanges with Best Buy's CSR. Nothing different than Amazon's. In fact, BB CSR seem to be local employee's who have a better grasp of the English language...so I don't have to repeat my issues and process times are much quicker.

But let's not derail the train too much. I was talking about pure deals. The simple fact is Best Buy has been providing the best deals lately...period. With prices much lower than Amazon...even after taxes, which is another fact. Amazon simply needs to step up their game. If they don't, customers will go where the better deals are...and these last few days prove that. They also need to fix and get rid of their broken Lightning Deal sales model. It annoys customers. And anytime a retailer annoys customers, they are doing it wrong. Amazon's video game customer base has become too big to continue utilizing the current LD system.

There is nothing more to discuss.

And the only thing I will say "WOW" to, is the fact I spent this much time replying to you. You may go chug your Ritalin now.[/QUOTE]
I have a few, I'll teach you a few things that happened in the real world

1. Best Buy was higher on most items even before tax, Amazon offered everything Best Buy did at either the same price or lower WITHOUT tax. Where to find Gears of War 3 for more then Amazon? Best Buy to the rescue. One of your arguments out the door.

2. Oh you have a Best Buy 2 or 3 minutes away from you? Well I'm very proud, now did you have to approve zoning or was this just a magical surprise? Did the magic also carry over into a car that runs on water? If it didn't then I guess there goes another one of your arguments.

3. Vanquish was on sale for 4.99 for the PS3, there's your one win, you actually described what happened in the real world, bravo

4. As far as Josh goes all his work is for nothing because the stores don't follow through. You can have the best coach in the league but if he's players suck so does the team. Amazon's reps are able to get things done on the consumer level, something K-Mart has been unable to do.

Your whole problem (besides making up stories to help you in this argument) is that you fail to see the entire spectrum of users and only look at it from your own perspective which is skewed to say the least.

Amazon is able to roll out deals on every genre and every age group to every buyer. While many are going to scoff at today's sale there's going to be many more that have been looking for said game and this is where they're going to find the best price.

There were admitted glitches with one of their systems just like every other retailer had problems at one point or another this year, it happens. I'm not going to praise or bash them for that it's just something that happens in the world.

As far as the deals section being outdated I don't think it is. There is a larger group of users on Amazon's deals so they are taken faster. Best Buy doesn't have all day sales they have until they run out of inventory and because Best Buy is pretty much skipped over online for sales they have stock that lasts longer.

You can either choose Amazon's lightning deal or Best Buy's "whenever we feel like activating it deal" Amazon gives a head's up on things while Best Buy is just refreshing the pages and waiting until they're up.

Lastly Amazon doesn't make you purchase their in house publication to get the sale prices that are seen at most other stores.

Overall if you want to spend the least amount of money there is no better alternative them Amazon right now, any other answer is incorrect

[quote name='EvilIA']You bring up a good pint with Gas Prices. Both companies with ground shipping take the same amount of time for purchases, and this coming from somebody who lives less a 1 hour ferry ride away from their headquarters.

Best Buy depending on how you look at it followed or took the lead with the games to put on discount and the prices. Take for example the xbox 360 bundle, they had it for the same $199 that others had it for. Amazon had it too, the difference is that Best Buy seemed to have 150K units to ship while Amazon had maybe 50K that went in 60 seconds. The point is that BB had the deals last for a few hours and not seconds that they did on Amazon. As for prices, they seems the exact same to me $199, $24.99, etc... Amazon took their price from other retailers (or vice-versa). So the saving was in taxes. Great for a up to 10% discount. BB gives reward dollars on purchases equal to about 5%.

Show me where Amazon offers free two day shipping!

On topic I love Amazon. But look forward to day 2.[/QUOTE]

The quantities aren't different, it's the traffic, Amazon does more online then Best Buy does online and in store so it's only logical that Amazon runs out of items before Best Buy

Also Amazon's system of "grab it and decide" is also to blame for what look like lowered supplies of items. With Best Buy things can be taken out of your cart if you don't check out in time. With Amazon things are kept in the cart for a certain amount of time so people on the fence can hold up supplies while they decide.

If Best Buy had the same kind of traffic Amazon did they would sell out as fast. Also Best Buy's policy of "no idea when a sale goes live" isn't good, it's almost as some would say "ungood"

Best Buy did a good job of fighting for sales but gas and tax and shipping kills deals.

As far as Amazon's free 2 day shipping I look at it from the way that many people are using Prime for their entertainment options with a Roku or other device. Heck they're gaining so many users they're forcing Netflix to make changes. Worst case scenario that's a tie.

[quote name='doubledown']On topic, are any of these good for a 5 year old girl?[/QUOTE]
Don't see a phrase like this too often on CAG.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I
1. Best Buy was higher on most items even before tax, Amazon offered everything Best Buy did at either the same price or lower WITHOUT tax.
[/QUOTE]

I love amazon and do almost all my shopping on there but the tax is a state by state thing. I'm in New York City and I have to pay tax on stuff on amazon.

[quote name='DefeatUForever']I love amazon and do almost all my shopping on there but the tax is a state by state thing. I'm in New York City and I have to pay tax on stuff on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Same here in Kansas. Most of the deals for me have been just as cheap and easy at BB

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I have a few, I'll teach you a few things that happened in the real world

1. Best Buy was higher on most items even before tax, Amazon offered everything Best Buy did at either the same price or lower WITHOUT tax. Where to find Gears of War 3 for more then Amazon? Best Buy to the rescue. One of your arguments out the door.

2. Oh you have a Best Buy 2 or 3 minutes away from you? Well I'm very proud, now did you have to approve zoning or was this just a magical surprise? Did the magic also carry over into a car that runs on water? If it didn't then I guess there goes another one of your arguments.

3. Vanquish was on sale for 4.99 for the PS3, there's your one win, you actually described what happened in the real world, bravo

4. As far as Josh goes all his work is for nothing because the stores don't follow through. You can have the best coach in the league but if he's players suck so does the team. Amazon's reps are able to get things done on the consumer level, something K-Mart has been unable to do.

Your whole problem (besides making up stories to help you in this argument) is that you fail to see the entire spectrum of users and only look at it from your own perspective which is skewed to say the least.

Amazon is able to roll out deals on every genre and every age group to every buyer. While many are going to scoff at today's sale there's going to be many more that have been looking for said game and this is where they're going to find the best price.

There were admitted glitches with one of their systems just like every other retailer had problems at one point or another this year, it happens. I'm not going to praise or bash them for that it's just something that happens in the world.

As far as the deals section being outdated I don't think it is. There is a larger group of users on Amazon's deals so they are taken faster. Best Buy doesn't have all day sales they have until they run out of inventory and because Best Buy is pretty much skipped over online for sales they have stock that lasts longer.

You can either choose Amazon's lightning deal or Best Buy's "whenever we feel like activating it deal" Amazon gives a head's up on things while Best Buy is just refreshing the pages and waiting until they're up.

Lastly Amazon doesn't make you purchase their in house publication to get the sale prices that are seen at most other stores.

Overall if you want to spend the least amount of money there is no better alternative them Amazon right now, any other answer is incorrect[/QUOTE]

Unless you live life isolated in your mother's basement, people actually do have to drive on a daily basis. And for most people, finding a Best Buy store near the area they are already driving within won't use up much gas/money.

Again, their LD system is broken. Sure they give you a heads-up...heads-up on a deal you will most likely NOT be getting because you will either get an error at checkout or the title will sell out within 3 seconds. So even when Amazon does decide to get off their ass and match a price or equal or lower...most people lose out on it anyways...in turn frustrating a large chunk of their customer base. People at that point flock elsewhere.

Better deals than BB? Let's see.

Vanquish = $4.99
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood = $9.99
Bulletstorm = $7.99
Toy Story 3 = $7.99
Brutal Legend = $2.99

And on and on...

The only game I bought off of Amazon was Batman:AC for $28, as I was lucky to get in on the LD. But when the game sold out within 3 seconds, the only other option for people is to get it at Best Buy (or Walmart) for $29.99. And I'm not even going to get into the money people save due to their Reward Zone membership promos and coupons. Amazon has none of this. Just the "no tax" aspect...which BTW, will soon be a thing of the past due to new legislature. You might want to read up on it after you calm down a bit.

As for "making up stories to help my argument"? I simply stated that which was and has been fact for a little while now. And in case you missed it, there are many others here on CAG and other forums that state the exact same thing.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']The quantities aren't different, it's the traffic, Amazon does more online then Best Buy does online and in store so it's only logical that Amazon runs out of items before Best Buy

Also Amazon's system of "grab it and decide" is also to blame for what look like lowered supplies of items. With Best Buy things can be taken out of your cart if you don't check out in time. With Amazon things are kept in the cart for a certain amount of time so people on the fence can hold up supplies while they decide.

If Best Buy had the same kind of traffic Amazon did they would sell out as fast. Also Best Buy's policy of "no idea when a sale goes live" isn't good, it's almost as some would say "ungood"

Best Buy did a good job of fighting for sales but gas and tax and shipping kills deals.

As far as Amazon's free 2 day shipping I look at it from the way that many people are using Prime for their entertainment options with a Roku or other device. Heck they're gaining so many users they're forcing Netflix to make changes. Worst case scenario that's a tie.[/QUOTE]

I like both stores and there are deals right for each person. To what ever they want as a deal. You seem to want to deal with Amazon and it's the best deal for you. As you have stated I can not speak for others as they on their own determine their best deal.

I agree with you that the Amazon cart is a much better program as far as getting your item, but I don't believe for a minute that Amazon had the same amount of systems for sale. I'm taking into account the in store stock and the online sales.

I used to buy all my games from Amazon. New releases used to be $51.99, they are now $57.99, or in some cases $59.99. I do order from them but only to save gas. $2 is not an Amazon winning.

[quote name='doubledown']On topic, are any of these good for a 5 year old girl? Seems like a lot of reading. We have both a Wii and DS, but not sure if I want to bite. The Princess, Tinkerbell or Tangled seem interesting.[/QUOTE]

The princess game on NDS is mostly a puzzle game. It might be difficult for the child to work a puzzle game. I know Cheapy's kid Tai enjoys Cars2, but I don't recall if it's to play or watch dad play.

My 6 year old girls have played both tangled and Tinkerbell in store and seemed to enjoy it. I just got them the Disney Universe and they ask for help for some of the puzzles, but I liken this to mostly playing games on the iPod touch and not using a controller often.

[quote name='EvilIA']I like both stores and there are deals right for each person. To what ever they want as a deal. You seem to want to deal with Amazon and it's the best deal for you. As you have stated I can not speak for others as they on their own determine their best deal.

I agree with you that the Amazon cart is a much better program as far as getting your item, but I don't believe for a minute that Amazon had the same amount of systems for sale. I'm taking into account the in store stock and the online sales.

I used to buy all my games from Amazon. New releases used to be $51.99, they are now $57.99, or in some cases $59.99. I do order from them but only to save gas. $2 is not an Amazon winning.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Amazon can still be great for somethings....but they are not dependable as they used to be concerning their video games department. Also, as I've stated before (but someone refuses to listen)...because their customer base has grown exponentially, they need to reform that LD system of theirs or how they handle their sales/deals altogether. It's an act of pure frustration to customers during holiday sale events...leaving more customers annoyed and pissed off than happy and satisfied.

And you're right, their release day prices used to be a lot more competitive. Not so much nowadays. Same thing concerning pre-order bonus credit. Now it's their competitors who seem to be providing better pre-order / release day deals.

Amazon has just become complacent. Only matching when they feel like it instead of maintaining their aggressive sales attitude. They've become the fat cat, if you will.

And for those that think and have this attitude that Amazon "has your back" ....read this...

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticl...zon_Facing_End_of_Sales_Tax_Loopholes_in_2012

...supported by Amazon itself. So say goodbye to no tax purchases in CA in 2012. And they chose CA, for a reason. Once in action in CA, it will spread to other states.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']leaving more customers annoyed and pissed off than happy and satisfied.[/QUOTE]

Maybe CAGers, but there are plenty who shop on Amazon who aren't, and the sales seem to be working for them. (Usually shown by selling out gold box items that CAGers wouldn't touch.)

And for those that think and have this attitude that Amazon "has your back" ...read this...

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticl...zon_Facing_End_of_Sales_Tax_Loopholes_in_2012

...supported by Amazon itself. So say goodbye to no tax purchases in CA in 2012. And they chose CA, for a reason. Once in action in CA, it will spread to other states.
That was going to happen sooner or later, particularly with states struggling to meet budgets. Amazon probably took the best deal they could, rather than have things get out of their hands.

Any veteran CAG knows the tide of great deal-giving shifts back and forth throughout the years, months, weeks, even days. Best to keep an eye on all the retailers.

There's one thing about expressing opinions about retailers. Feel free to continue that discussion.

However, there's no reason to be slinging insults back and forth. Leave that out of the discussion, if it's not too much to ask.

[quote name='EvilIA']The princess game on NDS is mostly a puzzle game. It might be difficult for the child to work a puzzle game. I know Cheapy's kid Tai enjoys Cars2, but I don't recall if it's to play or watch dad play.

My 6 year old girls have played both tangled and Tinkerbell in store and seemed to enjoy it. I just got them the Disney Universe and they ask for help for some of the puzzles, but I liken this to mostly playing games on the iPod touch and not using a controller often.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info on these.

My daughters 6 and 4 are going to be getting the old DS's that my wife and I no longer use for Christmas and will need a few games. Tangled and Tinkerbell sound like the way to go.

[quote name='shrike4242']There's one thing about expressing opinions about retailers. Feel free to continue that discussion.

However, there's no reason to be slinging insults back and forth. Leave that out of the discussion, if it's not too much to ask.[/QUOTE]

Why would we discuss a retailer in a DEAL thread, shouldn't we keep this to the deals and discuss a retailer in OFF TOPIC?

[quote name='psunami']Thanks for the info on these.

My daughters 6 and 4 are going to be getting the old DS's that my wife and I no longer use for Christmas and will need a few games. Tangled and Tinkerbell sound like the way to go.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind the "cartoon violence" the Lego Series on the Nintendo DS are great games. I don't know if it's still on but several retailers had a few of them, Harry Potter and Batman for $10.

It's crazy but I wish more sites would do reviews on girly games (Shrike tel Cheapy/wombat/shipwreck I'm looking at you). As parents (and gamers) they would giving a great service to the community..

[quote name='doubledown']Why would we discuss a retailer in a DEAL thread, shouldn't we keep this to the deals and discuss a retailer in OFF TOPIC?[/QUOTE]It's a discussion about the retailer offering the deal and it was a valid discussion with a few exceptions with the insults flying about.

[quote name='doubledown']Why would we discuss a retailer in a DEAL thread, shouldn't we keep this to the deals and discuss a retailer in OFF TOPIC?[/QUOTE]
Shrike is being nice about it but the short answer is who would try to police that? More importantly, who could? You might as well lock any Amazon thread from the start to save sanity.

[quote name='dys006']This thread seemed the best place to put a current Amazon deal.
So they're having the $5 credit on "best-sellings games of 2011" deal when you buy download titles. http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000728511

If you're planning on buying one of them in January anyways, I just bought the Magicka Nippon DLC for 39 cents, and received the $5 credit. http://www.amazon.com/Magicka-Nippon-Online-Game-Code/dp/B0053EMT6Q/[/QUOTE]

Order this product between now and 11/28/2011 and receive a $5 promotional credit good towards any of the 2011 bestselling Video Game Download like "Battlefield 3" or "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" in the month of January 2012. You will receive an email with your promotional code and redemption instructions. Qualifying codes for this promotion may only be used one at a time. Here's how (restrictions apply)

wut?

[quote name='EvilIA']If you don't mind the "cartoon violence" the Lego Series on the Nintendo DS are great games. I don't know if it's still on but several retailers had a few of them, Harry Potter and Batman for $10.

It's crazy but I wish more sites would do reviews on girly games (Shrike tel Cheapy/wombat/shipwreck I'm looking at you). As parents (and gamers) they would giving a great service to the community..[/QUOTE]

Well, they've had zero exposure to Batman or Harry Potter to this point, so I guess I'd just like to get them things that will be familiar to them.

Here's one site I know of for reviewing "family-type" games. I know the guy who launched the site and like what he's trying to do.

http://www.familyfriendlyvideogames.com/

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Order this product between now and 11/28/2011 and receive a $5 promotional credit good towards any of the 2011 bestselling Video Game Download like "Battlefield 3" or "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" in the month of January 2012. You will receive an email with your promotional code and redemption instructions. Qualifying codes for this promotion may only be used one at a time. Here's how (restrictions apply)

wut?[/QUOTE]

Hey there, thanks for highlighting that, simple typo. Offer is good through 12/31 purchases. We thought this would be a cool way to reward you in January for holiday purchases.

Cheers,
Tony

Wondering if I should pull the trigger on Cars 2 for my niece. She loves the Cars series and I've already rented Cars 2 from the Red Box -- neat little racer for both young and old alike, much like Mario Kart.

HMM.. Only 20 more minutes to decide. I was going to pick up the Wii Mater's Tall Tales game for $9.99 but it seems to be back to normal price, which is a shame because all of the reviewers (parents, I'm assuming) said that their kids loved the game.

Looks like they took some of the weekend's leftovers (Duke, DR2, Bit.Trip), put them in the microwave and served them up again. Except there's not enough to look like a meal, so there's a generous helping of crap as well.

Well I am glad I hem and hawed tonight. I was thinking of getting the Turtle Beach 7.1 DSS processor. They had it for $69.99 which is $20 off list. They dropped it to $49.99 with this sale. Just became a no brainer for me.

FINALLY a deal on the physical copy of Deus Ex for PC. This was one of my favorite games of the year, and I wanted to give it to my cousin as a gift. Worked out perfectly.

Game is unquestionably worth $20!

Kinda interested in that WWE Allstars for 3DS, but i've been leery of wrestling games for a while now given they have history of being mediocre or worse...

Enslaved's price went up like two bucks. Hahahaha.

Damn...I really wish RDR GOTY was available for the PS3. 360 version's on there for 30 again but I want the PS3 version. Oh well. 15 game back log anyway.

bread's done
Back