Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

It's not that Kirin is a hate machine, it's just that all anyone's talking about are shitty animes. Rave about Princess Tutu or Utena and you'll get along just fine with Kirin.

Wait until some more animes are under your belt before you discount Kirin's opinion.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']It's not that Kirin is a hate machine, it's just that all anyone's talking about are shitty animes. Rave about Princess Tutu or Utena and you'll get along just fine with Kirin.

Wait until some more animes are under your belt before you discount Kirin's opinion.[/QUOTE]
Kind of have to agree with this. I mean Shounen Jump? Seriously? Ugh.

[quote name='62t']Looks like you are going by anime. Kenshin and Shaman King both drifted off too much from the manga. I havent watch any of the Shaman King anime but I heard it changed a lot of things such as not killing off characters. I did read the Shaman King manga and it has one of the most disappointing ending of all time.

About the only time anime drifted off and manged to work out is FMA.[/QUOTE]

Shaman King anime didn't end a whole lot better (I've seen it , although I've never read the "end" of the manga , but heard it was pretty lousy). The anime jusst kind of abruptly ends with just meager plot resolutions.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Gawd, I hate both of those... The latter moreso, but they're both pretty bad. Is there anything you *don't* like, though?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorta the same way , much like with games , I'm pretty easy to please , but that isn't to say that there isn't anime (or games) that I don't like.

Off hand , I wasn't a huge fan of Inuyasha (watched it a lot cause my mom loved it) , didn't really like Scyred , didn't like M.D.Geist. Those are the only shows I can think of right now that I didn't really like.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Kind of have to agree with this. I mean Shounen Jump? Seriously? Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what's wrong with liking Shounen Jump titles (or Shounen titles in general) , but to only like those titles , or to think that everything else besides those don't matter or are crap , that I'll agree with.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
I don't see what's wrong with liking Shounen Jump titles (or Shounen titles in general) , but to only like those titles , or to think that everything else besides those don't matter or are crap , that I'll agree with.[/QUOTE]

I don't see whats wrong with them either. I see the flip side of the only-Shounen fans, the fans who discount Shounen simply because its Shounen, everywhere. It seems kind of fashionable to put down something because it's focused on action and appeals to teenage boys (that sounded wrong). Its narrow-minded, and it's all over the internet. And I know the internet isn't exactly a hub for open-mindedness.

And I don't think anyone actually liked M.D. Geist, except maybe the head of Central Park Media. It really represents the early 90's image of Anime, where eveything was boobs and blood and blowing up people.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']And I don't think anyone actually liked M.D. Geist, except maybe the head of Central Park Media. It really represents the early 90's image of Anime, where eveything was boobs and blood and blowing up people.[/QUOTE]

That's probably true , I just used it as an easy example since it came to mind. To be fair , the first M.D. Geist was ok but nothing great or memorable (I think). The sequel , Death Force , was trash though. Over the top violence for the sake of violence , and a lame half-assed plot.

[quote name='StarKnightX']That's probably true , I just used it as an easy example since it came to mind. To be fair , the first M.D. Geist was ok but nothing great or memorable (I think). The sequel , Death Force , was trash though. Over the top violence for the sake of violence , and a lame half-assed plot.[/QUOTE]

In my M.D. Geist-induced fury, I stumbled upon this http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-10-02/buried-garbage-m.d-geist

I don't know how I missed before, because Buried Treasure is one of my favorite regular articles on ANN. It introduced me to Nurse Angel Ririka and To-y, and made me want to re-watch Galaxy Express 999. But I agree everything Justin said about Geist.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I don't see whats wrong with them either. I see the flip side of the only-Shounen fans, the fans who discount Shounen simply because its Shounen, everywhere. It seems kind of fashionable to put down something because it's focused on action and appeals to teenage boys (that sounded wrong). Its narrow-minded, and it's all over the internet. And I know the internet isn't exactly a hub for open-mindedness.

And I don't think anyone actually liked M.D. Geist, except maybe the head of Central Park Media. It really represents the early 90's image of Anime, where eveything was boobs and blood and blowing up people.[/QUOTE]
I don't discount anything just because it's shounen, I discount stuff because it sucks which unfortunately most shounen does. It really shouldn't be a surprise when you see the demographic it's shooting for.

[quote name='Chronis']Same. If I like a show to want to continue watching it, then I'm enjoying it and consider it good. Not to be negetive towards him, but that's what irks me about Kirin. Like the Shonen Jumps shows, he said he doesn't like them, but yet also said that he's seen most of the episodes of those shows. If you don't like a show, why continue watching it?[/QUOTE]

There are all sorts of reasons why I've seen as much anime as I have. In my college years, I'd regularly attend (and host) a weekly anime club, where we'd watch all sorts of things, both the good and the crappy. I watched Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin *way* back when, fansubbed on VHS, when the US market was starved for new material. And as I said before, other shows may have enough decent moments to keep me watching. In any case, I don't see why it matters to you that I've willingly sat through as much trash as I have, but at least it helps me to have an informed opinion if somebody asks me if X anime is any good or not. It's not like I blindly hate on stuff - I can tell you exactly why I don't care for certain things, should you ask.

I've been watching anime for nearly a decade, went to my first con in 2001. I think that's enough to think that some people are a little too judgemental in this thread.

I don't think people are being too judgmental here. People like what they like, and everyone here seems to have valid reasons for not liking what they don't like. I just hate it when people hate on things without backing up their arguments. I don't think anyone here is doing that, which is a relief for me. Most places on the net are exactly the opposite.

[quote name='crystalklear64']who the fuck cares what someone else thinks?[/QUOTE]

I do when they have no valid argument, and hate things for the sake of hating.

[quote name='crystalklear64']who the fuck cares what someone else thinks?[/QUOTE]

On one hand I agree, but in this case I think it's a little different. Because "anime" is such a huge "genre," it's pretty hard to pick what you want to try out. For the most part, a lot of anime fans will be willing to try just about anything anime related, so you kind of need a direction to go in. That's why everyone is giving out their opinions and asking for opinions, and it needs to happen. If I'm curious about something, it'd be nice to have opinions that I can gauge about it. On the other hand, if I have an opinion of something already, I really don't care what someone else thinks since they don't need the same opinion as me.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']There are all sorts of reasons why I've seen as much anime as I have. In my college years, I'd regularly attend (and host) a weekly anime club, where we'd watch all sorts of things, both the good and the crappy. I watched Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin *way* back when, fansubbed on VHS, when the US market was starved for new material. And as I said before, other shows may have enough decent moments to keep me watching. In any case, I don't see why it matters to you that I've willingly sat through as much trash as I have, but at least it helps me to have an informed opinion if somebody asks me if X anime is any good or not. It's not like I blindly hate on stuff - I can tell you exactly why I don't care for certain things, should you ask.[/QUOTE]

That makes me feel much better, thanks for responding. I guess i just sorta figured, based on your responses, that you were sitting through all these crappy shows for no reason, but if you either did it at a club or enjoyed it enough, at least you had a reason.

I may not have been watching anime for as long as 99% of the people here (pretty sure i just passed a year now), but i've seen enough to at least know the basics. To me, there's so much i haven't seen that there's no way in hell i'd ever consider Naruto. But i guess, after 15 years of watching, there's not as much that you can watch.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I don't think people are being too judgmental here. People like what they like, and everyone here seems to have valid reasons for not liking what they don't like. I just hate it when people hate on things without backing up their arguments. I don't think anyone here is doing that, which is a relief for me. Most places on the net are exactly the opposite.[/QUOTE]

Quote of the century. It's one of the great things about CAG, isn't it? People here (for the most part) tend to have a brain, and trolling is surprising light. That's not to say it isn't here, but compared to most other places on the internet
4chan
this place is pretty intelligent ;).

1. Look for anime old or new.
2. Read description.
2a. Watch clips on youtube or other site of choice (supplemental)
3. Watch first couple of episodes (or first and last couple)
4. Continue watching or stop watching.
5. Congratulations, you now have watched anime without input from someone else.

Except for my input of this fantastic 5 step program of course.

Send me money.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I've been watching anime for almost 15 years now. I think that's enough to think that some people aren't judgemental enough XD[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been watching anime since Jesus invented Astro Boy so I have all of you beat! :lol:

All kidding aside though, I see the same type of polarizing opinions in my other love, Star Trek. As long as people don't wear their opinions on their sleeves or gives UNSOLICITED OPINIONS of a persons viewing habits, its all good.

I personally won't dump on what a person watches if they like it. When talk goes to shows I don't care for I simply stay out of it unless an opinion was asked, and even then I try to give my opinion with as little hyperbole as possible.

Not to go off the philosophical topics here, but i just finished the melancholy of Haurhi Suzumiya for a second time, and i must admit:

I absolutely loved it.

The first watch through, i was confused the whole way. I watched it in DVD order (second time in broadcast order), and even when it was finished, i had no idea what had really happened.

Still, there was something about it, i couldn't stop thinking about it. I decided to rewatch it in broadcast order, and now that i did, i completely understood it, and i thought it was fucking amazing. Wow, am i blown away.

ANN said in their review that it was a show made for otaku, and while i wouldn't want to jump to the conclusion that i am one next to vets who've been watching since Astro Boy....i fucking love Haruhi Suzumiya.

:D

Wanna join the "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the best anime ever and I will take this to my grave" club?

ANN sucks and they don't know how to review. This is not a show only for otaku. Everyone I've showed the show to has loved it. This includes girl-who-still-thinks-labyrinth-of-flames-is-a-good-anime and frat-boy-whose-last-anime-watched-was-yu-yu-hakusho-in-middle-school. It's just a really, really well-done show.

Also, age doesn't determine otakuness. You've been among our ranks for a while now. Congratulations!

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Wanna join the "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the best anime ever and I will take this to my grave" club?

ANN sucks and they don't know how to review. This is not a show only for otaku. Everyone I've showed the show to has loved it. This includes girl-who-still-thinks-labyrinth-of-flames-is-a-good-anime and frat-boy-whose-last-anime-watched-was-yu-yu-hakusho-in-middle-school. It's just a really, really well-done show.

Also, age doesn't determine otakuness. You've been among our ranks for a while now. Congratulations![/QUOTE]

IDK, i have to say, watching the show once, all i was was confused.

It's the second time through that made me love the show, and i would join that club in a heartbeat if i'd never seen Death Note ;).

Still, this show....it's probably because i finally understood everything, but i thought it was so good i even started looking for figures xD

(I know what i want now too. Revoltech Haruhi + Yuki.....so good....:drool:)

I want figures too, but I'm poor. ;_;

Yeah, Death Note is love. Hey, that gives me an idea. Let's all post our top tens. Come on, go, go, go!

Mine:

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Elfen Lied
3. Black Lagoon
4. Shigofumi
5. Code Geass
6. Death Note
7. Shadow Star Narutaru
8. Kino's Journey
9. Full Metal Panic!
10. Azumanga Daioh

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I want figures too, but I'm poor. ;_;

Yeah, Death Note is love. Hey, that gives me an idea. Let's all post our top tens. Come on, go, go, go!

Mine:

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Elfen Lied
3. Black Lagoon
4. Shigofumi
5. Code Geass
6. Death Note
7. Shadow Star Narutaru
8. Kino's Journey
9. Full Metal Panic!
10. Azumanga Daioh[/QUOTE]

I definitely like the list, but i've only seen 4/10. As for me, i wouldn't say i've seen enough to truly make a top 10 list, or even a top 5 list by what i love the most, but i can definitely give you a list of 5 of my favorites (in alphabetical order so as to not seem like i'm favoriting anything):

Death Note
Elfen Lied
FullMetal Alchemist
Gungrave
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The

I'd also give runner-ups to School Rumble and Berserk. I don't think they deserve spots on the list, but they're awesome all-the-same.

EDIT: Just counted, and i've only finished 15 series' so far, so at least i have a good reason for not being able to make a top anything list. I just haven't seen enough.

EDIT 2: 16 if Afro Samurai counts.

EDIT 3: 17 if Blue Submarine #6 counts ;). I'll stop editing now.

EDIT 4: I lied. http://www.moviefone.com/movie/gamer/30168/synopsis

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure I've posted my top five before, but maybe not my top ten. Hmm, let's see...

1. Shoujo Kakumei Utena
2. Azumanga Daioh
3. Princess Tutu
4. Read or Die/R.O.D The TV
5. Monster
6. Jubei-chan/Jubei-chan 2
7. Fullmetal Alchemist
8. Cowboy Bebop
9. Neon Genesis Evangelion
10. Now and Then, Here and There

I'm very confident in the first five, but the last half fluctuates a bit. I'm also very fond of Kodocha, Cardcaptor Sakura, Escaflowne, and Samurai Champloo. If I were to also include movies in this list, I don't know what it'd look like.

I think some of you guys that have been watching anime for so long are a bit jaded, and that's why you think a lot of the more popular titles are crap. I mean, I know shows like Bleach are not the greatest, but they're still entertaining (to me, anyway). I guess when you've seen it all, it takes a lot for a show to be considered "good." I've noticed a lot of veteran anime fans have niche titles as their favorites. They end up liking stuff that's very different from everything else.

1. Claymore
2. One Piece
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Berserk
5. Samurai X ovas
6. FLCL
7. Outlaw Star
8. Fist of the North Star
9. Beck
10. Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto

My top 10:

1. Evangelion
2. Saikano
3. Kare Kano
4. Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta Gundam/Char's Counterattack
5. Gunbuster
6. Gankutsuou
7. Gungrave
8. Escaflowne
9. Macross
10. FLCL

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I think some of you guys that have been watching anime for so long are a bit jaded, and that's why you think a lot of the more popular titles are crap. I mean, I know shows like Bleach are not the greatest, but they're still entertaining (to me, anyway). I guess when you've seen it all, it takes a lot for a show to be considered "good." I've noticed a lot of veteran anime fans have niche titles as their favorites. They end up liking stuff that's very different from everything else.[/QUOTE]

I've been watching anime since the early 80s (and still have VHS copies of Warriors of the Wind and Unico). In the 80s and 90s there was so little anime that we watched what was available. Importing was a possibility but without the internet and some of the "high-profile" anime magazines that are available now it just wasn't possible to keep up. Of course there was less anime being produced in Japan at this time too, so maybe we weren't missing much.

I guess what I'm getting at is that in my case when the anime explosion occurred at the turn of the century there was suddenly too much to keep track of and watch. I was basically forced to become picky.

------------------

As for my Top 10 (in no particular order and off the top of my head):

1. Read or Die (OVA and TV)
2. Gankutsuou
3. The Big O
4. Giant Robo
5. Cowboy Bebop
6. Outlaw Star
7. Gunsmith Cats
8. One Piece (guilty pleasure, I suppose)
9. Fullmetal Alchemist
10. Jubei-chan

Bubblegum Crisis (OVA and 2010) would make the list if they hadn't botched the ending. I loved the first half of 2010 and the direction that it was taking.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I think some of you guys that have been watching anime for so long are a bit jaded, and that's why you think a lot of the more popular titles are crap. I mean, I know shows like Bleach are not the greatest, but they're still entertaining (to me, anyway). I guess when you've seen it all, it takes a lot for a show to be considered "good." I've noticed a lot of veteran anime fans have niche titles as their favorites. They end up liking stuff that's very different from everything else.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has anything to do with being jaded. It's quite simple, really - everyone has their own likes and dislikes. There are plenty of anime newbies who don't care for Bleach or similar, long-running shounen action shows either!

I don't enjoy Bleach for many reasons. First and foremost, it suffers from Shounen Action Syndrome, with storylines that long outstay their welcomes. A more concise narrative would go a long way. I also find most of the characters to be extremely abrasive, the attempted "humor" is incredibly unfunny and obnoxious, and the music is fairly terrible, too. Oh, and don't get me started on the dreadfully long, boring filler arcs that add absolutely nothing to the big picture. The Bount arc can suck it.

Anyways, my point is that you don't have to be an oldschool anime fan to find faults with the newer stuff, or any show at all really. Everyone is different, that's all.

So I instead got distracted at the funimation thing and started watching Shigurui. After the first two episodes, this has top ten potential for me.

[quote name='crystalklear64']So I instead got distracted at the funimation thing and started watching Shigurui. After the first two episodes, this has top ten potential for me.[/QUOTE]

Though we both loved Claymore, I have a feeling our tastes are incredibly different. I saw one episode of Shigurui and dropped the series. Not knocking you; just saying I found it kind of funny.

I will have to stop my gaming tomorrow for some anime from Funi's channel. Thanks for the heads up.

@TLP and KL: Okay, point(s) taken. I can understand that.

Also, blah blah--
I know the humor in Bleach isn't usually great (it's often just over-the-top silliness. Some of the lastest episodes in particular make me cringe, haha). And filler sucks. But I've come to accept that as part of those types of shows, haha (shounen, fighting). It's just how they are. :p I don't expect every anime to be a masterpiece. Maybe I just have lower standards. And there's also the fact that I've been watching it since it came out and don't want to stop now...
. Basically, (to sum up what's in the spoiler), I agree with what you said about Bleach. The humor sucks most of the time, and the fights are way too drawn out. (Sometimes that makes the final battle that much more epic. Sometimes not.). And yeah, filler sucks. Call it a "guilty pleasure" if you want, but I still enjoy the show overall. :p

Also, I have to say that the soundtrack for Bleach--at least the lastest one--is one of the best OSTs for a series that I know of.
The whole latino guitar thing is awesome. Like you said though, that comes down to personal taste.

Random side note: For anyone looking to pick up School Rumble, I found a pretty sweet deal on eBay for all the singles + OVA
(Season 1, sealed). http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320381821242 - $27 shipped for the lot. 5 sets left.

When Bleach first started airing (in Japan) I really got into it. The Rukia story arc ended up carrying on way too long. I stuck it out because I was enjoying it and wanted to know what happened, but ultimately I think it turned me off to the series. I kept following until the filler started and just never got back into it.

One thing I will say about both Bleach and Naruto (moreso the latter) is how great a job they do with explaining character motive and backstory. For example, in Naruto I hated most of the cast. As the character stories filled out more during their respective fights I found my opinion changing. Chouji (spelling?) is one example of this in my case. I couldn't stand the character until his big fight when Sasuke is kidnapped.

Yeah, Naruto, when it came out (in Japan) was one of the first series that got me into anime (this was back in 8th-9th grade for me). I gave up on it a while ago though, right after the main story for the first series ended, and the massive amount of filler started. I guess even I have certain limits on what I'll watch, haha. I did like how they explained each character's background though to give you a better understanding them. I don't know if I'll go back to it or not, though; I've forgotten most everything and would have to rewatch a lot of it, heh.

Compared to normal TV, it was so amazing that I couldn't get over it though, haha. I was a Narutard, no doubt.

I can only say that I have a top 2 at the moment, heh. Those are: Eureka Seven and Suzuka.

I just felt like I had a personal connection with both of those shows that really stuck with me. I'm not saying everyone else will. Also, I've only seen about 15 series to completion (or near-completion). I'm almost positive they will always at least stay in my top 10, if not top 5, though.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon'] First and foremost, it suffers from Shounen Action Syndrome, with storylines that long outstay their welcomes. A more concise narrative would go a long way.[/QUOTE]

That is one thing about DBZ, Bleach, One Piece and Naruto that really bothers me as well. I mean, I know why they do it, but story arcs get so drawn out at times that I lose interest. The only long series I absolutely love is Ranma 1/2 and that is because it is largely episodic.

On a tangent, that is one of the things about most anime that I like. Most are delivered in a 12, 13, or 26 episode format. That is very good in that it is usually ideal for giving enough story to satisfy a viewer but not enough to bore you to tears.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']On a tangent, that is one of the things about most anime that I like. Most are delivered in a 12, 13, or 26 episode format. That is very good in that it is usually ideal for giving enough story to satisfy a viewer but not enough to bore you to tears.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this. And even some series' this long manage to have filler episodes
BASILISK
that are just completely useless.

Some 52-episode series' work as well, FMA, School Rumble, GTO from what i've seen (and Death Note's odd 37-episodes were amazing too). Most of the time, 12/13 was too short. Black Blood Brothers, while not great, was decent enough, and could've definitely been extended to a 24-episode series. The ending just made it rushed, like they had to make it only 12 episodes.

On the other hand, Elfen Lied = win.

it's gotten pretty mixed reviews here, but I am really digging Witchblade after just a handful of episodes in.

[quote name='DestroVega']it's gotten pretty mixed reviews here, but I am really digging Witchblade after just a handful of episodes in.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Witchblade too! I wasn't expecting much going in, since it was clearly being marketed as a "boobies and fighting" show, but both of those aspects really took a back seat to the characters and plot. It was an excellent surprise, and I'm glad to own it.

I'm watching through Dragon Ball again and it reminds me that Trimark is still full of assholes for keeping the rights to the first arc away from Funimation with their shitty DVD box set on store shelves.

Tried watching the Japanese dub, as well, but ended up turning it off quickly since it was a pain to listen to. I do like putting the Japanese subtitles on and seeing how different the localization is.

Anyone know of a series similar to Time of Eve?

Animes I watch/watched/finished:

Naruto
Death Note
Bleach
Elfen Lied
He Is My Master
Azumanga Daioh
Welcome to the NHK
Time of Eve
Death Note
Haruhi

I think thats it..

What to start Genshiken and Ah! My Goddess soon, but I keep on forgetting.

^you need to watch Cowboy Bebop my friend... I liked it so much better than Death Note... I'm pretty much a novice at this point.

Can anyone tell me which of these are worth the price (TSRI sale):

$12:

Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA

$18:

Karas: The Complete Collection
X (Movie)

Haha, didn't me and a couple other people in the Right Stuf thread already tell you that the Read or Die OVA is worth it?

[quote name='the_punisher']Can anyone tell me which of these are worth the price (TSRI sale):

$12:

Ninja Scroll
Perfect Blue
Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA

$18:

Karas: The Complete Collection
X (Movie)[/QUOTE]

Perfect Blue and Read or Die are both phenomenal. I give both my highest possible recommendation.

On the other hand, Ninja Scroll and X The Movie are two of the worst things I've *ever* seen in my life, which says a lot. Karas is acceptable.

Oh, come on Kirin, X was gr- Ok, yeah. Shit sucked.

Funnily enough, I watched Perfect Blue and X on the same day. Action or some other channel was having an anime movie marathon. Oh, what a day that was.

bread's done
Back