Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='DestroVega']it's gotten pretty mixed reviews here, but I am really digging Witchblade after just a handful of episodes in.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I really enjoyed Witchblade too! I wasn't expecting much going in, since it was clearly being marketed as a "boobies and fighting" show, but both of those aspects really took a back seat to the characters and plot. It was an excellent surprise, and I'm glad to own it.[/QUOTE]
Another Witchblade fan here. Like Kirin, I was expecting blood and boobs but ended up getting an excellent portrayal of a mother and daughter and the lengths they'll both go to so that they'll always remain together. Great show.

I noticed today that FMP The Second Raid is going to be released on Blu-Ray. I was wondering if any of you here knew if they were going to be releasing the rest of FMP on Blu-Ray, too?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I noticed today that FMP The Second Raid is going to be released on Blu-Ray. I was wondering if any of you here knew if they were going to be releasing the rest of FMP on Blu-Ray, too?[/QUOTE]

So is Devil May Cry. Funi looks like they're going to start pumping things out.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I noticed today that FMP The Second Raid is going to be released on Blu-Ray. I was wondering if any of you here knew if they were going to be releasing the rest of FMP on Blu-Ray, too?[/QUOTE]

The Second Raid was the only season to air in HD, so no, not likely.

So I watched the first dvd of Fate/Stay Night and... I felt underwhelmed. I was a bit more interested during the last (4th?) episode but the first few bored me a bit. Something I did like was that the servant had identities. I really want to know who Saber really is, mostly because I highly suspect she's really
Jeanne D'Arc.
and I want to know if I'm right.

As much as I want to, I'm not clicking that spoiler button. Probably my curiousity will get the better of me and I'll end up watching it then.

[quote name='Chronis']As much as I want to, I'm not clicking that spoiler button. Probably my curiousity will get the better of me and I'll end up watching it then.[/QUOTE]

It's more fun to watch the show and figure out Saber's identity on your own; or at least I enjoyed figuring it out on my own.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Perfect Blue and Read or Die are both phenomenal. I give both my highest possible recommendation.

On the other hand, Ninja Scroll and X The Movie are two of the worst things I've *ever* seen in my life, which says a lot. Karas is acceptable.[/QUOTE]

That's about what i was expecting, but Ninja Scroll? Wasn't that supposed to be one the best things ever? Also, any chance you liked Basilisk? I did :).

As for the RoD OVA, i've seen enough recommendations so that if i don't get it from that lowball sale, i'll probably buy it (and thaks to this confirming what i thought, perfect blue too). I'll also probably get the two El Hazard OVA's or the DMC Vol. 2 + Artbox to hopefully get me to the $50 minimum ;).

Also, i just finished the first disk of My-Otome, and i really like it. It has that very good mix of style, action, and comedy that made me love My-HiME. Can't wait to watch more :)

[quote name='crystalklear64']ninja scroll is one of those "badass" movies that personifies the older western opinion of what anime should be[/QUOTE]

Basically, yeah. Tits and violence. And suck - lots of suck.

I just finished watching Kurau Phantom Memory. Wow. I thought it was absolutely amazing. This is now my favorite anime; I loved every moment of it.

I just finished Cowboy Bebop for the first time. Knowing the ending, it had less of an impact, but I really liked it all the same. Definitely one of the best animes I've seen. All around just a top-quality show.

If I hadn't already known, I probably wouldn't have guessed it came out in '98. I'm sure this is a series I'll watch again.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Basically, yeah. Tits and violence. And suck - lots of suck.[/QUOTE]

Ninja Scroll (still) has some of the best action, similar to Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. It lacks in other areas clearly but its action scenes still hold up very well.

Does anybody have some experience with the Haruhi and School Rumble graphic novels? I'm new to manga(but not to anime) so I'm thinking of starting out with something I'm familiar with before trying a series I'm new to. Are those two okay as long as I don't expect too much different storyline-wise?

Just started watching Naruto again. Ugh. The pacing's worse than I imagined, but I gotta keep at it -- my step-brother's watched all the episodes released so far and he's really been harping on me to watch 'em, so... yeah. :X

[quote name='thelonepig']So is Devil May Cry. Funi looks like they're going to start pumping things out.[/QUOTE]Awesome! I can't wait for more and more anime to be released on blu-ray. Looks like Funi is leading the charge with it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The Second Raid was the only season to air in HD, so no, not likely.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the info. Might you know if Code Geass will be getting a release on blu?

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Thanks for the info. Might you know if Code Geass will be getting a release on blu?[/QUOTE]

Nothing's been announced.

So the other day, my inner SMT fan got the better of me when I was at the store, and I ended up getting Shin Megami Tensei: Kahn. So yesterday I started reading it and... it's pretty bad. But I was slightly amused because all the talk of Shonen Jump titles before made me crack open the Yu Yu season 1 box I got from the 50% off Best Buy sale, so while I was reading Kahn, I imagined 3 of the main characters with voices of Yusuke, Keiko, and Botan. It sorta worked out, personality wise, also.

Ninja Scroll was pretty weak all together... could have been a lot better with a stronger story I guess? I dunno.

I think I'm the eldest here since I started anime in 1993 (Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival in the same night). My first con was the very first Anime Central and Anime Iowa conventions in 1996/7 I believe.

Anyway I've seen almost every show on everyone's top lists that I care to, and I still love watching shounen anime with my wife. We just caught up on Naruto, One Piece, and Kateikyoshi Hitman REBORN.

I remember ordering my fansubs of Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2, and others back in the day. However the charm of the simple concepts for friendship, honor, and courage still strike chords with me (maybe being a lifetime martial artist makes me suceptible to that). Once you evaluate shounen as a genre that involves long fights, detailed explanations of powers, and characters that exactly like their fathers then you can begin to actually stratify the quality within that genre. If the base aspects of shounen stuff don't appeal to you, then you're not really qualified to ascertain if they're any good. I wouldn't begin to explain what Super Sentai show is the best because I don't like the genre at all to begin with. I'm not qualified to guess if the one with ninjas on a bus is better than the one with bug robots.

I enjoy'd Utena, Marmelade Boy, Fushigi Yuugi, Haruhi, NHK, and a host of other non-shounen titles but none of those made me dismiss the experience of rooting on a cast of characters against a tough badguy. It's just good fun to me I guess, but shounen has held a place in my life for 16 years now. I don't appear to be slowing down any time soon.

So these are in no particular order but here's some of the best shounen anime I've seen (and yes I mean long battles, cast of characters following the formula shows...Death Note and FMA wouldn't count).

Kateikyoshi Hitman REBORN (takes 20 eps to get rolling)
Bleach (Soul Society Arc)
One Piece (Water 7/Enies Lobby Arc)
Trigun
Naruto (Chounin Exam)
Kiba (Shockingly well written at parts)
Hunter X Hunter (OVA Spider Arc)
YuYu Hakusho (Dark Tournament)
Rurouni Kenshin (Shi Shi O)
Dragon Ball Z (Buu Saga)

Honorable Mention:
Black Cat
D. Gray-man (have a lot more to watch)
Busou Renkin
Flame of Recca

Some of these memories are nearly 10 years old so forgive me if it doesn't hold up to modern expectations. Also I always skip all fillers so those don't go into my opinion of the show.

Now just for the other side of the coin here's some of my fav others:

Azumanga Daioh
Monster
Gankutsuo
Death Note
Code Geass
Gantz
Full Metal Alchemist
Claymore

I really wanted to be blown away by Death Note, but it was just such an anti-climactic letdown for me. Started out awesome though.

Has anybody watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, which I'm guessing is the reboot that is up on Hulu now? How does it compare to the original series from a few years back?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has anybody watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, which I'm guessing is the reboot that is up on Hulu now? How does it compare to the original series from a few years back?[/QUOTE]
seems slightly better to me. i prefer the old character designs though

I really need to get around to watching Code Geass. I keep reading everyone talking about how good it is , and what little I've seen on Adult Swim confused the hell out of me. First season is up on youtube , so at least its close at hand.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Has anybody watched Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, which I'm guessing is the reboot that is up on Hulu now? How does it compare to the original series from a few years back?[/QUOTE]

Waiting for NA release :)

[quote name='StarKnightX']I really need to get around to watching Code Geass. I keep reading everyone talking about how good it is , and what little I've seen on Adult Swim confused the hell out of me. First season is up on youtube , so at least its close at hand.[/QUOTE]

Season 1 Part 1 (of three) is also coming out in around a month. I'll probably watch it once all three parts are out. I got parts 1 and 2 of the first season during the BB sale, but i'll wait for the full series before i watch it.

Same goes for Claymore. Once every volume comes out and isn't over $20, i'll try to get that too. Seems a lot of people here loved it.

I'm digging it quite a bit, but the original series, at least in the earlier episodes, often had better pacing, and did a much better job of bringing out the personality and charm of the characters. This flaw has been improved somewhat in the more recent episodes, but many events are highly condensed, and everyone seems really flat and uninteresting at first. Most of this can be blamed on the pace at which Brotherhood is moving, though - to give you an idea, the first ten episodes of the new show cover up to episode 25 of the old series.

[quote name='StarKnightX']I really need to get around to watching Code Geass. I keep reading everyone talking about how good it is , and what little I've seen on Adult Swim confused the hell out of me. First season is up on youtube , so at least its close at hand.[/QUOTE]

I watched through the entirety of Code Geass, and while I guess I could consider it a guilty pleasure, I don't see why it has the fans that it does. The initial concept is interesting, the character designs are pretty cool, the animation is very good, and the soundtrack is nice, but that's where my praise for the show ends. Once the story begins moving along in an acceptable direction, it starts to become increasingly random, to the point where you have no idea what the writers will do next (actually, I don't believe even the writers knew what they were going to do next). For most of the first season, it remains passable, but by the second season, the concept of "pacing" and the original direction of the plot are completely thrown out the window, with characters behaving the complete opposite of how they were in the previous episode, and ideas that once seemed awesome consistently fizzling out with terribly unsatisfying conclusions. To say that I was disappointed in Code Geass would be an understatement, given the potential it began with. It's still an action-filled ride, but sloppy and random as hell.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm digging it quite a bit, but the original series, at least in the earlier episodes, often had better pacing, and did a much better job of bringing out the personality and charm of the characters. This flaw has been improved somewhat in the more recent episodes, but many events are highly condensed, and everyone seems really flat and uninteresting at first. Most of this can be blamed on the pace at which Brotherhood is moving, though - to give you an idea, the first ten episodes of the new show cover up to episode 25 of the old series.

I watched through the entirety of Code Geass, and while I guess I could consider it a guilty pleasure, I don't see why it has the fans that it does. The initial concept is interesting, the character designs are pretty cool, the animation is very good, and the soundtrack is nice, but that's where my praise for the show ends. Once the story begins moving along in an acceptable direction, it starts to become increasingly random, to the point where you have no idea what the writers will do next (actually, I don't believe even the writers knew what they were going to do next). For most of the first season, it remains passable, but by the second season, the concept of "pacing" and the original direction of the plot are completely thrown out the window, with characters behaving the complete opposite of how they were in the previous episode, and ideas that once seemed awesome consistently fizzling out with terribly unsatisfying conclusions. To say that I was disappointed in Code Geass would be an understatement, given the potential it began with. It's still an action-filled ride, but sloppy and random as hell.[/QUOTE]

Brotherhood will still probably be amazing to me, although from that initial response it seems like it won't be as good.

As for Code Geass, i absolutely hate it when characters act differently than they should. I'll still get Code Geass once everything's out considering how many people like it, but if they start to do that too much, i'm really guna be upset :bomb:.

[quote name='DestroVega']I really wanted to be blown away by Death Note, but it was just such an anti-climactic letdown for me. Started out awesome though.[/QUOTE]

I sort of have to agree. There was so much hype surrounding that series when I watched it, and for me it didn't live up to it. I still liked it a lot though.

Also +1 for shounen anime :p (Kuroi Kaze)

Claymore and Darker Than Black--those are 2 series that I'm waiting for a major price drop on. I'm amazed that people buy the singles at $20+, haha. I guess not everyone is a cheapass though.

I'm finding it hard to watch anything else after seeing Cowboy Bebop though, heh.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']

Claymore and Darker Than Black--those are 2 series that I'm waiting for a major price drop on. I'm amazed that people buy the singles at $20+, haha. I guess not everyone is a cheapass though.[/QUOTE]
When I started watching anime, long before the advent of DVD, those 4 episode discs for $25-30 were a bargain. I remember buying Evangelion on VHS for $35 a tape with 2 episodes on each tape. So while I tend to wait more for box sets now, before I bought singles all the time since it was either the only way to get a show, or was actually a good value compared to the VHS cost.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']When I started watching anime, long before the advent of DVD, those 4 episode discs for $25-30 were a bargain. I remember buying Evangelion on VHS for $35 a tape with 2 episodes on each tape. So while I tend to wait more for box sets now, before I bought singles all the time since it was either the only way to get a show, or was actually a good value compared to the VHS cost.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I remember those days. And I, too, paid out the ass for Evangelion back then. Eventually, I switched over to VHS fansubs to save myself a ton of money whenever I wanted to watch something new.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ugh, I remember those days. And I, too, paid out the ass for Evangelion back then. Eventually, I switched over to VHS fansubs to save myself a ton of money whenever I wanted to watch something new.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I still have Evangelion VHSes. I also have some of those awesome purple Kodocha fansubs. I kinda miss the days of VHS fansubs.

[quote name='crystalklear64']It's right here:
No it's not.
[/QUOTE]

Even though i laughed, what you should've said is that it's right here:

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm digging it quite a bit, but the original series, at least in the earlier episodes, often had better pacing, and did a much better job of bringing out the personality and charm of the characters. This flaw has been improved somewhat in the more recent episodes, but many events are highly condensed, and everyone seems really flat and uninteresting at first. Most of this can be blamed on the pace at which Brotherhood is moving, though - to give you an idea, the first ten episodes of the new show cover up to episode 25 of the old series.[/QUOTE]

I kind of chalk that up to the fact that the new series assumes you know the characters and story, so they just kind of gloss over the details and character development.

[quote name='the_punisher']As for the RoD OVA, i've seen enough recommendations so that if i don't get it from that lowball sale, i'll probably buy it (and thaks to this confirming what i thought, perfect blue too).[/QUOTE]

Two very, very good choices.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I just finished Cowboy Bebop for the first time. Knowing the ending, it had less of an impact, but I really liked it all the same. Definitely one of the best animes I've seen. All around just a top-quality show.

If I hadn't already known, I probably wouldn't have guessed it came out in '98. I'm sure this is a series I'll watch again.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to get the movie too!

[quote name='Chronis']So the other day, my inner SMT fan got the better of me when I was at the store, and I ended up getting Shin Megami Tensei: Kahn. So yesterday I started reading it and... it's pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I read through a few pages of that at Hastings a few months ago. You're right - it was awful.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I think I'm the eldest here since I started anime in 1993 (Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival in the same night). My first con was the very first Anime Central and Anime Iowa conventions in 1996/7 I believe.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think you're the "eldest" in terms of anime-watching on the thread, but that's awfully impressive.

I use to pick up my fansubs from a group called Soyokaze. Kodocha, Marmalade Boy, Escaflowne, Kaitou Jeanne, Nurse Angel Ririka, Violinist of Hameln... good stuff! Sad to say that a lot of these programs never made it to the states and probably won't now.

I think my first Con was in '97, though it may have been '98. It was the first Baka-con (now Sakura-con). We drove 14 hours each way. :lol: My group of five all dressed up in Veritech pilot uniforms.

[quote name='thelonepig']I think my first Con was in '97, though it may have been '98. It was the first Baka-con (now Sakura-con). We drove 14 hours each way. :lol: My group of five all dressed up in Veritech pilot uniforms.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, i wish i was like that, getting into anime so early and knowing people who would dress up (i would definitely dress up for something like Death Note or FMA now). On the other hand, it's nice to be able to get into anime now and have limitless options :)

And not that i wanted to go off-topic, but i just had a question. I always get worried that the more anime i watch, the less chance i have of finding something good. So, please, someone make me feel better ;).

I like watching comedies/relaxing shows after going to work all day (x.X), and i was wondering what would be a couple of good shows for this. I'm getting Kodocha in the mail, and am thinking about picking up Azumanga Daioh during the eventual Deep Discount 25% off sale. Others that fit this genre that i've seen already are:

My-HiME
My-Otome (currently watching)
Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (twice ;))
Fruits Basket
School Rumble
Desert Punk (it's sorta under this category)
GTO

I just wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations. I feel like i'm running out of relaxing shows like this, and i really need them to help me move through the long work days :).

Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (twice ;))
Fruits Basket

are these good? I bought them at Best Buy on that 50% off clearance but haven't started them yet.

For the love of all that is good, watch both of them.

Haruhi's amazing so long as you watch it in broadcast order. Wiki it. Switching the discs around is WELL worth it.

Fruits Basket is not as good, but it's still an enjoyable show. Maybe not AS good as my first sentence suggests, but most people end up liking it.

[quote name='DestroVega']Melancholoy of Haruhi Suzumiya (twice ;))
Fruits Basket

are these good? I bought them at Best Buy on that 50% off clearance but haven't started them yet.[/QUOTE]

I watched Haruhi once in broadcast order, once in DVD release order. I couldn't say for sure which one to watch first, but impressions are that the first time i watched it, i thought it was an overrated otaku anime that i didn't understand at all.

The second time: love....

As for Fruits Basket, i definitely enjoyed it. It's a very happy anime that people are afraid to admit to watching in public since you can definitely see why it's for girls, but there's a charm to it hard to deny, and i would definitely recommend watching it.

From what I recall, the Japanese folks were all "Nooo, you can't put it in broadcast order! The Americans will get confused because they're stupid and fat."

So Bandai put the chronological order on the DVDs. For those of us who bought the special editions, they gave us bonus DVDs with subs only that were in broadcast order to appease us. Those are the versions I lent to my friends.

I don't wanna say too much about why you should watch it in broadcast order... Just do it. :p

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Nobody should watch Best Student Council. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah if they want to miss out on an awesome show, haha.

Well, since no one has commented on what they thought of Kurau, what did you think of Kurau?

[quote name='DestroVega']so i should watch HS in broadcast order? good thing I asked.. why the hell is it even in the wrong order?[/QUOTE]

Broadcast order is definitely more confusing.

Timeline order, however, is definitely less satisfying.

I guess it's a great show either way, but you can watch it however you want.

bread's done
Back