Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='StarKnightX']Has anyone read the manga for Eureka 7? I know that manga's that are based off of animes often aren't as good (as opposed to the other way around) and was kinda curious about how this one turned out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the manga is not as good. It's only 6 volumes, so the characters don't get near as much development. It is an alternate storyline, so you get to see different things play out, but the anime is far better IMO.

There's also a two-volume prequel manga series, similar to the story of the E7 video games (I think). I haven't gotten around to reading those yet though.

I concur. The anime is a much more complete experience than the manga. The music really makes Eureka 7.

Having loved the series for years, I totally went and bought the first volume of the Complete Collection. :D

'Love this series. 'Tis probably my top favorite. The score is phenomenal. I had it in rotation in my car for nigh a year.

[quote name='Chase']I concur. The anime is a much more complete experience than the manga. The music really makes Eureka 7.

Having loved the series for years, I totally went and bought the first volume of the Complete Collection. :D

'Love this series. 'Tis probably my top favorite. The score is phenomenal. I had it in rotation in my car for nigh a year.[/QUOTE]
Wow, it's like I found my long-lost brother or something, haha.^

If you want, you can get the second half of the series for pretty cheap here (and most of the first half if you wanted to get all the singles instead). Some nice limited editions with T-shirts in there too.

I finished watching Texhnolyze and I also watched Paprika. Texhnolyze was something else. I thought it was amazing. The closest thing I could compare it to is Lain, but even that is not enough to do the show justice; I thought it was really unique. It offers a realistic view into the dark side of humans.

I loved Paprika. That movie is insane because of how trippy it is. The music that plays during the parade was great, and it also helped with that insanity. Also, I thought Atsuko was a really cool character.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching Texhnolyze and I also watched Paprika. Texhnolyze was something else. I thought it was amazing. The closest thing I could compare it to is Lain, but even that is not enough to do the show justice; I thought it was really unique. It offers a realistic view into the dark side of humans.

I loved Paprika. That movie is insane because of how trippy it is. The music that plays during the parade was great, and it also helped with that insanity. Also, I thought Atsuko was a really cool character.[/QUOTE]

Damn, i'm starting to agree with KL

Can you name something you didn't like? Please? ;)

Texhnolyze?! Texhnolyze was terrible. It was the kind of boring that didn't make you want to sleep... it just made you want to die so you wouldn't have to watch it anymore. That's it, Razz. If you could find something like that enjoyable, I think I'm gonna have to break you.

Watch Baki the Grappler, Jyu Oh Sei, Labyrinth of Flames, Penguin no Mondai, Night Head Genesis, Amazing Nurse Nanako, Buzzer Beater 2007, School Days, Tetsuko no Tabi, and Sonic X.

After that marathon of shit, tell me if you still think that as long as it exists that an anime is good. If you still think it is, there is no hope for you. I will give up on humanity.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Texhnolyze?! Texhnolyze was terrible. It was the kind of boring that didn't make you want to sleep... it just made you want to die so you wouldn't have to watch it anymore. That's it, Razz. If you could find something like that enjoyable, I think I'm gonna have to break you.

Watch Baki the Grappler, Jyu Oh Sei, Labyrinth of Flames, Penguin no Mondai, Night Head Genesis, Amazing Nurse Nanako, Buzzer Beater 2007, School Days, Tetsuko no Tabi, and Sonic X.

After that marathon of shit, tell me if you still think that as long as it exists that an anime is good. If you still think it is, there is no hope for you. I will give up on humanity.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I've heard the first two you listed were decent, but otherwise, i really would like to see if he likes the others. Somehow, i bet he would.

When i started watching anime, i was that way, but i've come to experience my fair share of crap *cough* Love Hina.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Watch Baki the Grappler, Jyu Oh Sei, Labyrinth of Flames, Penguin no Mondai, Night Head Genesis, Amazing Nurse Nanako, Buzzer Beater 2007, School Days, Tetsuko no Tabi, and Sonic X.

After that marathon of shit, tell me if you still think that as long as it exists that an anime is good. If you still think it is, there is no hope for you. I will give up on humanity.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, School Days... It was so terrible that I actually enjoyed it. Also, I think I was really drunk at the time.

[quote name='the_punisher']Damn, i'm starting to agree with KL

Can you name something you didn't like? Please? ;)

I've heard the first two you listed were decent, but otherwise, i really would like to see if he likes the others. Somehow, i bet he would.

When i started watching anime, i was that way, but i've come to experience my fair share of crap *cough* Love Hina.[/QUOTE]

Well, I haven't watched anything that I have not liked so I can't name anything. When I buy something I usually make sure that I am going to like it. Also, I am not enjoying these simply because they exist as anime; I am enjoying them because of the content itself.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Texhnolyze?! Texhnolyze was terrible. It was the kind of boring that didn't make you want to sleep... it just made you want to die so you wouldn't have to watch it anymore. That's it, Razz. If you could find something like that enjoyable, I think I'm gonna have to break you.

Uh, watching a marathon of shit sounds like a bad idea. I think I am going to stay with watching what I want to watch. Also, I don't think all of these anime that I have watched are good because they are anime; I think they are good because I enjoyed them.

[quote name='Razzuel']Also, I don't think all of these anime that I have watched are good because they are anime; I think they are good because I enjoyed them.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Anyway, I have Paprika sitting on my DVR for months from when it played on Encore Action a while back... Hell, I think it's still showing every once in a while.

[quote name='Chronis']:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Anyway, I have Paprika sitting on my DVR for months from when it played on Encore Action a while back... Hell, I think it's still showing every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think the explanation in response to the other quote sounds better, but there really isn't anything wrong with how I explained it. I just meant that I had...never mind, I am just making this worse.

Anyway, you need to go watch Paprika; I don't understand what you are waiting for.

Yeah i really should but my DVR tends to be the TV equivalent of my video game backlog. Stuff just keeps getting recorded and it just sits there. I still have Shin Chan on there

Courtesy of Grico, I watched Wild Cardz today. Like Kirin's impression of School Days... so bad it's good. Those voice actors... What were they thinking? Definitely gonna have to watch this with my friend who hates anime. It'll be a good experience for him.

Oh, and I don't suppose any of you guys here know Japanese or Chinese, do you?

/me gets an evil glint in his eye

amazonshipped.jpg

*cries in joy*

Can anyone give me the story on El Hazard? I got the original 2 volumes, but there's apparently a 4-epi sequel, a 26 episode season, a 12 episode season, and another one-episode OVA. What's the deal? All of it good, some of it, i'm so confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='the_punisher']
amazonshipped.jpg

*cries in joy*

Can anyone give me the story on El Hazard? I got the original 2 volumes, but there's apparently a 4-epi sequel, a 26 episode season, a 12 episode season, and another one-episode OVA. What's the deal? All of it good, some of it, i'm so confused.[/QUOTE]

Whats that Death Note DVD?

[quote name='saunderscowie']Whats that Death Note DVD?[/QUOTE]

Just the name of the thread.

Nah, it's a movie recap of the first half of the series, from Ryuk's perspective. I'm pretty sure they've added new scenes in also, but don't quote me on that. I'm a huge Death Note fan, so i can't wait to see it, apparently it's sitting at my door waiting for me :D.

I also sold my Box Set and bought the first 5 volumes, but the vol. 1 was cancelled, so now i need to rebuy it somewhere else. Maybe RK can help me with that...

[quote name='the_punisher']Can anyone give me the story on El Hazard? I got the original 2 volumes, but there's apparently a 4-epi sequel, a 26 episode season, a 12 episode season, and another one-episode OVA. What's the deal? All of it good, some of it, i'm so confused.[/QUOTE]

The two-volume OVA you have is really the only part of El Hazard worth owning, sadly. El Hazard 2 is awful, The Wanderers TV series is only passable, and the Alternative World series is okay, but I can't get over the fact that for a show about people being transported into an alternate world, it's a little asinine to then transport everyone to yet *another* alternate world.

And yes, that Death Note recap has a few new scenes, but the only notable one is right at the end.

[quote name='Chronis']:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Anyway, I have Paprika sitting on my DVR for months from when it played on Encore Action a while back... Hell, I think it's still showing every once in a while.[/QUOTE]

Paprika still has some of the best visuals I have ever seen in Anime, but it also has one of the hokiest (spelling?) stories...

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The two-volume OVA you have is really the only part of El Hazard worth owning, sadly. El Hazard 2 is awful, The Wanderers TV series is only passable, and the Alternative World series is okay, but I can't get over the fact that for a show about people being transported into an alternate world, it's a little asinine to then transport everyone to yet *another* alternate world.

And yes, that Death Note recap has a few new scenes, but the only notable one is right at the end.[/QUOTE]

I know that now, just finished it.

As a huge fan of Death Note, i loved it. It's basically a fast-paced, 2-hour recap of the main portion of the series. It also reminded me to buy the soundtrack, man do i love it....

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Wow, it's like I found my long-lost brother or something, haha.^

If you want, you can get the second half of the series for pretty cheap here (and most of the first half if you wanted to get all the singles instead). Some nice limited editions with T-shirts in there too.[/QUOTE]

Hehehe...! ;) And 'tis good to know the second half released mid-July as my girlfriend is real eager to finish the series. :D I'll let her know the wait isn't too long. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Yeah, no problem :).

I just realized the link I gave you was broken. I was trying to show you that you can get the single volumes of the series for $3 each (only missing vol. 2). I can completely understand wanting to wait to get the complete collection though.
------

I started to watch Over Drive (you know, the one about biking), and it's really just not that good. The main character has to be the most pathetic, wimpy characters I've ever seen--so pathetic that I don't even feel sorry for him, just annoyed. I don't know if I'm going to keep watching it or not. The best thing about it is the opening song, heh. Anyway, I can see why it hasn't been licensed.

So I was perusing the Funimation site and I noticed they have subs for Digimon season 2 up. WTF, how!? Digimon's licensed to Disney, not Funi.

...or is it? I just checked and there is absolutely no mention of anything Digimon on the Disney site... I'm confused.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Yeah, no problem :).

I just realized the link I gave you was broken. I was trying to show you that you can get the single volumes of the series for $3 each (only missing vol. 2). I can completely understand wanting to wait to get the complete collection though.
------

I started to watch Over Drive (you know, the one about biking), and it's really just not that good. The main character has to be the most pathetic, wimpy characters I've ever seen--so pathetic that I don't even feel sorry for him, just annoyed. I don't know if I'm going to keep watching it or not. The best thing about it is the opening song, heh. Anyway, I can see why it hasn't been licensed.[/QUOTE]

You have FullMetal Alcehmist: watch that :p

Premium OVA comes out in a month, you better hurry ;).

I'm still going through My-Otome, only 2 disks left, and without spoiling anything, right now it is much better than My-HiME. I'm glad i watched them in the order i did because it helps to understand everything better (the logic, anyway), but the "twist" finally hit My-Otome and i'm loving it.

I also should be getting Kodocha in the mail any day now....

I haven't stopped watching that either :D . I just finished episode 32 last night. Yeah, it's amazing. As soon as I finish, I'm selling it and getting the singles though :p.

The bicycle concept for Over Drive seemed interesting to me though; they just didn't do a good job with it...

Also, got my Escaflowne DVDs in the mail today. Anime Legends, great condition. $16 well spent, I think xD.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Did Jigoku Shoujo end up sucking? I really liked the style of the first few episodes that I watched.[/QUOTE]

If you liked those, and are up for more of the exact same thing, keep watching. I got a kick out of some of the more absurd stories, but that's about it.

I think I also heard that they were going to explain the gal's background. Did they shoehorn in some terrible plot, or are they all stand alone episodes?

If it's the latter, it might be fun to watch one episode every so often or something, so it stays fresh.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I think I also heard that they were going to explain the gal's background. Did they shoehorn in some terrible plot, or are they all stand alone episodes?[/QUOTE]

I've only seen the first season, but I don't recall them ever getting to her origin. They eventually introduced an ongoing plot that had little bearing on the silly revenge stories (about two characters that try to stop people from going through with their vengeance), but nothing interesting ever came of it. Maybe the later seasons are more compelling, but I'm in no rush to find out.

Hmm.... so I've been pretty obsessed with anime lately. Buying/selling it almost as much as watching, haha. I'm pretty much addicted as this point.

Here's what I've bought/sold the past few weeks alone:
Air TV (singles) w/ artbox - $28
School Rumble S1 Complete (singles) w/ artbox + OVA - $36
Beck Complete with artbox (sold thinpak) - $34
Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Platinum collection - $50
Suzuka Complete (singles) w/ artbox - $24
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (most recent thinpak) - $11
Escaflowne Complete (brick version) - $16
Last Exile (singles) w/ artbox - $30
Cowboy Bebop Remix Complete (singles; selling the brick version) - $33
Fullmetal Alchemist Complete (singles; selling the thinpaks) - $54
Witch Hunter Robin Complete (singles) - $14

That's about $330 spent total.

Almost all of that came from RightStuf and/or eBay. And I'm still looking for more stuff to buy =/. I can't control myself, haha. Luckily, I've found a bunch of crap to sell on eBay/Amazon to make up for it (mostly older/rarer games that I know I won't play), so I'm not losing TOO much... Basically cleaning out junk and making my anime collection grow... exponentially. ;)
---------

Also, just finished K-On! For what it was (moe), it was decent. More like a nice "filler" show than anything for me. Still 1 more episode of 07-Ghost to go. It's not fantastic or anything either, but it has gotten better as the show progressed. Certainly a huge step above Over Drive, heh (In case you were wondering, I gave up on that after episode 6).

And finished episode 45 of FMA. Yeah, it's awesome. 'Nuff said.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Escaflowne Complete (thinpak) - $16
Cowboy Bebop Remix Complete (singles; selling the thinpak) - $30[/QUOTE]

I think somebody needs to learn the definition of "thinpak"...

Stackpack, brick, whatever you want to call it, heh. I'll edit it for you :p

Also added Last Exile, which I forgot I had ordered.

Still looking to get:
Azumanga Daioh
RahXephon
Wolf's Rain
Scrapped Princess
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Panic & TSR
Death Note
Haruhi
more that I can't think of right now. It will never end, I'm sure...

(yeah, I like most anything done by BONES xP)

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Hmm.... so I've been pretty obsessed with anime lately. Buying/selling it almost as much as watching, haha. I'm pretty much addicted as this point.

Here's what I've bought/sold the past few weeks alone:
Air TV (singles) w/ artbox - $28
School Rumble S1 Complete (singles) w/ artbox + OVA - $36
Beck Complete with artbox (sold thinpak) - $34
Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Platinum collection - $50
Suzuka Complete (singles) w/ artbox - $24
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (most recent thinpak) - $11
Escaflowne Complete (brick version) - $16
Last Exile (singles) w/ artbox - $30
Cowboy Bebop Remix Complete (singles; selling the brick version) - $30
Fullmetal Alchemist Complete (singles; selling the thinpaks) - $54
Witch Hunter Robin Complete (singles) - $14

That's about $330 spent total.

Almost all of that came from RightStuf and/or eBay. And I'm still looking for more stuff to buy =/. I can't control myself, haha. Luckily, I've found a bunch of crap to sell on eBay/Amazon to make up for it (mostly older/rarer games that I know I won't play), so I'm not losing TOO much... Basically cleaning out junk and making my anime collection grow... exponentially. ;)
---------

Also, just finished K-On! For what it was (moe), it was decent. More like a nice "filler" show than anything for me. Still 1 more episode of 07-Ghost to go. It's not fantastic or anything either, but it has gotten better as the show progressed. Certainly a huge step above Over Drive, heh (In case you were wondering, I gave up on that after episode 6).

And finished episode 45 of FMA. Yeah, it's awesome. 'Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean, in case my lowball sale (*shameless advertising* link in my sig /shameless advertising) or FMA boxsets on eBay (*shameless advertising* links on my lowball sale /shameless advertising) didn't tip you off.

Just got Suzuka in the mail, but i had to order the artbox from Amazon. Not sure how you feel about art boxes, but i just love having them. I'm even getting the artbox for Elfen Lied, and want it for a couple more shows (Chobits, Serial Experiments Lain, Trigun), but they're too expensive.

I like art boxes too, but I won't pay an extra $20 just for the box. Like, the FMA tins are awesome, but finding a decent deal on those is pretty much impossible at this point, so I'll settle for just having the singles. Same with Cowboy Bebop. As long as I own the show, and it's on not 6-7 episodes per disc I'm happy though.

My 2nd tin is signed by the guy who voiced Maes Hughes (in English).
So I win :)

@PrairieDog: you don't count as a person until you own Azumanga Daioh. Sorry, bud.
Seriously, I think I've watched the entire show 3-4 times and some episodes more than 10 times.
It's my favourite (can you tell by my username?)

I just finished the first season of Vandread. I wasn't too sure about the show in the beginning, but it really picked up after a couple episodes. Overall I thought it was awesome.

And now I wait for everyone to tell me how wrong I am. ;)

[quote name='Razzuel']I just finished the first season of Vandread. I wasn't too sure about the show in the beginning, but it really picked up after a couple episodes. Overall I thought it was awesome.

And now I wait for everyone to tell me how wrong I am. ;)[/QUOTE]

2nd season I think is better than the 1st but it's a good series overall.

Just finished My-Otome, and i'm going to watch the OVA tomorrow. It was fairly similar to My-HiME, but so much better. It was definitely enjoyable, being able to have great action scenes without taking themselves too seriously all the time.

Getting Kodocha sometime this week, i think that's next.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Seeing how much praise My-Otome and My-HiME gets in this thread, I've decided to watch both. Which should I start with?[/QUOTE]

HiME, since that aired first. I thought HiME was just slightly above average, with occasional moments of brilliance, and Otome was slightly worse. Both have decent soundtracks by Yuki Kajiura, at least!

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Witch Hunter Robin Complete (singles) - $14[/QUOTE]

Would you point a friendly face in the right direction? After a strange twist of fate, I ended up with the second half of the series. I know TRSI has Vol 2 in the bin, but that still leave 1 and 3...

On an completely unrelated note, does anyone know if Xam'd even going to get a DVD/Blu release? I kinda want to watch it (and since it's made by BONES, Prarie is probably interested also ;)) but somehow spending $3 a pop to rent an episode over PSN for a day is not my idea of fun.

I agree with KL about My-Hime. Above average with some good moments, but nothing spectacular. Haven't seen My-Otome though.

Azumanga Daioh is next on my list to buy, haha, so give me a break will ya. I've only seen the first 9 episodes so far (fansubbed). It's pretty funny; Chiyo-chan has to be the cutest character ever, haha. I'm not sure I get everyone's obsession with the show (yet) though. I found myself whistling the opening song the other day though, lol. So wacky.

Ah, sorry Chronis. That was a lucky eBay auction that I just recently won. Amazon usually isn't a bad place to look if you don't mind getting used copies. WHR looks like it's not too high there. Yeah, I'm also interested in Xam'd. Hope they do a DVD release eventually.

Watched the first 8 episodes of Escaflowne today. This is one show where you can really tell its age, hehe. It's not bad though.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Seeing how much praise My-Otome and My-HiME gets in this thread, I've decided to watch both. Which should I start with?[/QUOTE]

My-HiME, no question. It's just the way it was supposed to be watched.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']HiME, since that aired first. I thought HiME was just slightly above average, with occasional moments of brilliance, and Otome was slightly worse. Both have decent soundtracks by Yuki Kajiura, at least![/QUOTE]

I'll agree the first and last third, but i thought My-Otome was actually better. I liked the fanservice (as in My-HiME references, although there's plenty of the other definition too), and i thought some of the story elements were much deeper. As for Zwei, i'll get back to you when i finish it.

[quote name='Chronis']does anyone know if Xam'd even going to get a DVD/Blu release? I kinda want to watch it (and since it's made by BONES, Prarie is probably interested also ;)) but somehow spending $3 a pop to rent an episode over PSN for a day is not my idea of fun.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, i've been looking at it for awhile now. Just based off my stalking of the internet knowledge, it's currently airing in Japan, which leads me to believe that once it's over, it'll finally come to DVD/Blu-Ray.

As for NA, i would think that the same process would happen, but, if it even does, i think it could be awhile.

I rented the first episode, and it's sub-only. The show definitely has premise, and the artwork is absolutely beautiful, so i hope it gets localized sooner rather than later. I'd even consider a sub-only import, and i'm usually a dub fan.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Azumanga Daioh is next on my list to buy, haha, so give me a break will ya. I've only seen the first 9 episodes so far (fansubbed). It's pretty funny; Chiyo-chan has to be the cutest character ever, haha. I'm not sure I get everyone's obsession with the show (yet) though. I found myself whistling the opening song the other day though, lol. So wacky.[/QUOTE]

For me, you answered the question about obsession w/ the previous sentence. Azumanga Daioh's funny/quirky life observations about the most mundane things also contribute to its appeal to me. Plus, Chiyo-chan is the definitive example of moe:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJFCM632jU[/media]

bread's done
Back