Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Azumanga Daioh is next on my list to buy, haha, so give me a break will ya. I've only seen the first 9 episodes so far (fansubbed). It's pretty funny; Chiyo-chan has to be the cutest character ever, haha. I'm not sure I get everyone's obsession with the show (yet) though. I found myself whistling the opening song the other day though, lol. So wacky.

Watched the first 8 episodes of Escaflowne today. This is one show where you can really tell its age, hehe. It's not bad though.[/QUOTE]

Azumanga Daioh , to me , was a show that at first doesn't seem THAT good. I mean it's funny but nothing special , but as the show goes on and you get to know the characters and their quirks the show gets better and better. A great show overall.

Escaflowne's story is pretty traditional , but well told. I really liked it. I also really like the intro theme to the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfLskTpT6I0&feature=fvw

[quote name='the_punisher']I rented the first episode, and it's sub-only. The show definitely has premise, and the artwork is absolutely beautiful, so i hope it gets localized sooner rather than later. I'd even consider a sub-only import, and i'm usually a dub fan.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:| If they aren't putting the entire effort to localize it, then I really hope the disc releases are cheaper than other shows.

Yeah, from what I've heard Azumanga gets better the more you watch, so I definitely haven't passed my final judgement yet. Yeah, I like the opening to Escaflowne too. It does seem very traditional overall; I think that's a lot of its appeal. I feel like I've gone back in time or something when I watch it, heh.

I will definitely watch Kurau, espeically after hearing how much you liked it Raz.

Just ordered Scrapped Princess (Anime Legends) on eBay too, heh. Got a pretty good deal on it; just hope it's in decent condition.

[quote name='Razzuel']If PrarieD0G likes Bones so much, then he needs to watch Kurau.[/QUOTE]

and Darker than Black, though I'm having a love/hate relationship with it currently.

I just finished the second season of Vandread. I agree with you, jaykrue; I thought the second season was even better than the first. I enjoyed the show a lot; it had a great mix of action, comedy, and touching moments.

I just bought some anime last night.

Initial D season 1
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure box set
Jubei Chan 2 box set
Suzuka box set

[quote name='Razzuel']I just finished the second season of Vandread. I agree with you, jaykrue; I thought the second season was even better than the first. I enjoyed the show a lot; it had a great mix of action, comedy, and touching moments.[/QUOTE]
I loved Vandread.
The first 2 seasons are across the 8 DVDs right? Because I have the original 8 DVD boxset from Pioneer, and I'd hate to miss out on some of the show...

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Has anyone seen Evangelion 1.0? Is it really much different from the first six episodes of the series?[/QUOTE]

Not too much, except for the last couple minutes. 2.0 makes some *serious* changes, though!

[quote name='Azumangaman']I loved Vandread.
The first 2 seasons are across the 8 DVDs right? Because I have the original 8 DVD boxset from Pioneer, and I'd hate to miss out on some of the show...[/QUOTE]

Correct.

Azumanga Daioh struck me as an anime equivalent of Seinfeld in that it isn't about anything in particular. It just relies on lifes quirks to move the episodes along.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Azumanga Daioh struck me as an anime equivalent of Seinfeld in that it isn't about anything in particular. It just relies on lifes quirks to move the episodes along.[/QUOTE]

Except for the obvious difference in that Azumanga Daioh is good and Seinfeld is not.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Except for the obvious difference in that Azumanga Daioh is good and Seinfeld is not.[/QUOTE]
doh hohoho

They're both bad.

Apparently I'm going to have to thank prarieD0G yet again. Suzuka is a great blend of romance and comedy that so far I'm loving. The initial premise scared me, as it's eerily similar to the awful Love Hina, but three episodes in, I'm actually laughing more at this than School Rumble, and that's saying something.

Also, you guys are really making me want to buy Azumanga Daioh. Please, stop it :p

[quote name='the_punisher']Also, you guys are really making me want to buy Azumanga Daioh. Please, stop it :p[/QUOTE]

Azumanga Daioh is my second-favorite anime of all time. Everyone needs to own it. THIS MEANS YOU.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Azumanga Daioh is my second-favorite anime of all time. Everyone needs to own it. THIS MEANS YOU.[/QUOTE]

Just waiting for a TSRI or DD sale, and i will, master.

Unrelated, i love the Death Note soundtracks. 3 separate disks span 88 tracks, and they're so good.

Either that, or i love Death Note so much that i think about the show instead of listening to the music.

I just finished watching Elfen Lied. I really enjoyed it.

About the ending:
It's unfortunate that they left open what happens to the director of the Diclonius facility. However, my main problem was with how coy the ending scene was. Alright fine you leave some story threads unfinished, but holy shit could you of at least told me what happened to Lucy. I mean that looks like a silhouette of Lucy at the end, but who knows. Also, the clock started ticking. It must be Lucy. They should of just showed Lucy walking through the front gate and hugging Kouta or something. If they would of at least showed that, then I would of been satisfied with Lucy's story arc. Dammit.

[quote name='Razzuel']I just finished watching Elfen Lied. I really enjoyed it.

About the ending:
It's unfortunate that they left open what happens to the director of the Diclonius facility. However, my main problem was with how coy the ending scene was. Alright fine you leave some story threads unfinished, but holy shit could you of at least told me what happened to Lucy. I mean that looks like a silhouette of Lucy at the end, but who knows. Also, the clock started ticking. It must be Lucy. They should of just showed Lucy walking through the front gate and hugging Kouta or something. If they would of at least showed that, then I would of been satisfied with Lucy's story arc. Dammit.
[/QUOTE]

The ending is definitely discussed a lot, but i think an OVA would do the ending more justice. The manga has a real ending, and i wish they would update it to go along with the manga.

Oh well, i still loved it.

In the extremely unlikely case this will be pertinent to anyone, I thought I would toss this up here.

In Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, NY (Long Island), the Suncoast has three volumes of Utena sitting there. From my recollection it is 13-17, 17-20, and 20-23. So, realistically, you start off in the middle and have no end (not to mention that they are around $10+ apiece) but if anyone needed those volumes, that's a place where you can grab them pretty easily.

Just check the Used anime DVDs right across from the registers. If you're looking for anything else, there's nothing too interesting amongst the Used pile.

[quote name='Kapwanil']In the extremely unlikely case this will be pertinent to anyone, I thought I would toss this up here.

In Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, NY (Long Island), the Suncoast has three volumes of Utena sitting there. From my recollection it is 13-17, 17-20, and 20-23. So, realistically, you start off in the middle and have no end (not to mention that they are around $10+ apiece) but if anyone needed those volumes, that's a place where you can grab them pretty easily.

Just check the Used anime DVDs right across from the registers. If you're looking for anything else, there's nothing too interesting amongst the Used pile.[/QUOTE]

Joke post?

I finished Soul Eater this weekend. Five Sages out of five. Yeah, it was ridiculously awesome. DO WANT a sequel.

[quote name='Kapwanil']In the extremely unlikely case this will be pertinent to anyone, I thought I would toss this up here.

Just check the Used anime DVDs right across from the registers. If you're looking for anything else, there's nothing too interesting amongst the Used pile.[/QUOTE]

That's only about an hour away, and i've never seen Utena. Frankly, i don't know much about it, but i've heard a lot of praise on it. That and Monster. I'll have to check them out eventually.

[quote name='the_punisher']That's only about an hour away, and i've never seen Utena. Frankly, i don't know much about it, but i've heard a lot of praise on it. That and Monster. I'll have to check them out eventually.[/QUOTE]

BEST ANIME EVER. Utena, that is. Monster is pretty fucking great too.

Dude, I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist. I still have the movie to watch though (tomorrow/later today; it's too late to start it now... :whistle2:( ). So awesome.
There were so many twists there at the end that I couldn't believe it, haha. I'm actually glad I watched the subbed version because Al ended up having such a major role, and his English voice really annoyed me, heh. I may rewatch it dubbed though, just to catch some things I might have missed. Vic Mignogna did an awesome job as Ed, after all.
Also, the last OP ("Rewrite" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation) for FMA is sweet. The lyrics and everything.

Also, I'm glad you like Suzuka so far, the_punisher. Yeah, it's not a harem like Love Hina at all, although it may start out looking to be that way. Keep watching. ;)
Eureka Seven is still my favorite, but Suzuka is definitely a close second.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PrarieD0G']Dude, I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist. I still have the movie to watch though (tomorrow/later today; it's too late to start it now... :whistle2:( ). So awesome.
There were so many twists there at the end that I couldn't believe it, haha. I'm actually glad I watched the subbed version because Al ended up having such a major role, and his English voice really annoyed me, heh. I may rewatch it dubbed though, just to catch some things I might have missed. Vic Mignogna did an awesome job as Ed, after all.
Also, the last OP ("Rewrite" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation) for FMA is sweet. The lyrics and everything.

Also, I'm glad you like Suzuka so far, the_punisher. Yeah, it's not a harem like Love Hina at all, although it may start out looking to be that way. Keep watching. ;)
Eureka Seven is still my favorite, but Suzuka is definitely a close second.[/QUOTE]

Close second? Wow. I can't watch anymore, i only have vol 1 right now, hopefully the rest come soon.

Glad you like FMA, but then again who doesn't? I don't see anything in the spoiler tags btw.

The entire FMA soundtrack is amazing too, but that last opening Rewrite is definitely my favorite. Go watch the movie! It provides to closure the end of the series doesn't.

I also finished My-Otome Zwei. For those that haven't seen it....i'll be honest, it was pretty useless. There's no need to really watch it, it's just another 4 episodes tacked on to the end with a rushed finale. Meh.

I'm going out on a limb here and just throw out a question... I've been out of the loop in Bleach.

But now that a new arc started, is there any way I can get caught up on the series?

I can't remember where I dropped off at, near the end of the Bounts I think.

I've been watching stuff on VoD and Hulu, but there has to be a way to get some of these other shows.

Really don't want to swamp my bandwidth with torrents, but will resort to that if that's the only way.

Thanks,

Torrents are really your best bet for Bleach, tbh.

I also go to this site called www.bleach7.com
You can direct download episodes there, if you want. There are also tons of anime streaming websites out there that have them up, I'm sure (just do a quick Google search).

Yeah, I don't know what it was about Suzuka, but it really struck a chord with me.
Made a list too :p : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/PrarieD0G

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Torrents are really your best bet for Bleach, tbh.

You can direct download episodes there, if you want. There are also tons of anime streaming websites out there that have them up, I'm sure (just do a quick Google search).

Yeah, I don't know what it was about Suzuka, but it really struck a chord with me.
Made a list too :p : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/PrarieD0G[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the direction... I'll take a look at it.

Suzuka was good, managed to watch that on Hulu.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Torrents are really your best bet for Bleach, tbh.

Made a list too :p : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/PrarieD0G[/QUOTE]

Nice list, i'll update mine when i get home and add a lot of the stuff you did. No plans to watch Baccano!, My-Otome, or Utena? :cry:

I forgot to add those, hehe. Fixed.

Just finished the FMA movie. Compared to the series, it seemed really weird/surreal. It was very good though. I wish they had done the whole series in widescreen like that, heh.

Still haven't gotten around to watching the Cowboy Bebop movie though, so that's next on my list.

In response to the_punisher re: Utena/Sunrise Mall:

After doing a bit more research I would say that if you're interested in the series you may be better off buying it online. On one hand, it's far easier to buy 2/3 of Utena by going through Amazon instead (~$25?). However, the expensive part comes into play with the last third of the series. Either you can buy the third set (~$40, one copy) and wrap it all up or, failing that, buy the three individual volumes that comprise it (Unveiling, Revelation, Finale) for...well, $40+. And while I glanced at the back, I can't say that they had too many (if any) OOP anime on the shelves so wrapping it up would be strictly an online affair.

Just to let you know, of course! This isn't CAG for nothing, and the more money we all have to buy anime the better. That and, sadly, sometimes Transworld's used prices either range from beneficial (to us!) or ludicrous (lots of $15 crap in that random in-store pile).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Azumanga Daioh is my second-favorite anime of all time. Everyone needs to own it. THIS MEANS YOU.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
This is an incredibly true fact.

[quote name='Kapwanil']In response to the_punisher re: Utena/Sunrise Mall:

After doing a bit more research I would say that if you're interested in the series you may be better off buying it online. On one hand, it's far easier to buy 2/3 of Utena by going through Amazon instead (~$25?). However, the expensive part comes into play with the last third of the series. Either you can buy the third set (~$40, one copy) and wrap it all up or, failing that, buy the three individual volumes that comprise it (Unveiling, Revelation, Finale) for...well, $40+. And while I glanced at the back, I can't say that they had too many (if any) OOP anime on the shelves so wrapping it up would be strictly an online affair.

Just to let you know, of course! This isn't CAG for nothing, and the more money we all have to buy anime the better. That and, sadly, sometimes Transworld's used prices either range from beneficial (to us!) or ludicrous (lots of $15 crap in that random in-store pile).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that ;).

I didn't realize Utena was so rare, that sucks. I'll probably check out eBay for it then. I don't think i was driving an hour just for anime anyway.

I also didn't know Monster is 74 episodes, damn that's pretty long. I hope it isn't boring and slow-paced that people like for some reason
Yu Yu Hakusho

*RANDOM*

Colorful is probably the strangest thing i've ever seen in my life. Was this actually shown on TV? It seems....inappropriate xD. Since it's split up into 16 parts, and the theme song plays before each of them, it's stuck in my head. It's pretty annoying, too.

Boku no taion wa sanjuu nana do gobu!!!

[quote name='Kapwanil']In response to the_punisher re: Utena/Sunrise Mall:

After doing a bit more research I would say that if you're interested in the series you may be better off buying it online. On one hand, it's far easier to buy 2/3 of Utena by going through Amazon instead (~$25?). However, the expensive part comes into play with the last third of the series. Either you can buy the third set (~$40, one copy) and wrap it all up or, failing that, buy the three individual volumes that comprise it (Unveiling, Revelation, Finale) for...well, $40+. And while I glanced at the back, I can't say that they had too many (if any) OOP anime on the shelves so wrapping it up would be strictly an online affair.[/QUOTE]

You must have greatly misunderstood Amazon's listings. Using Amazon Marketplace, the first third of the series will run you about $80 for the set that includes the movie, or 30 for questionable-condition copies of Rose Collection 1 and 2. The second third (the Black Rose arc) will cost you another $80. The last third is fetching around $110 for the box set, or $70-ish for individual copies (which are four volumes, actually - you left out "Temptation"). That $40 copy you saw is an obvious bootleg.

If anyone's interested, I have an extra copy of the third box set that I'd let go for $100! :D

Azumanga is an amazing achievement. I think we mostly agree on that.

Utena doesn't really deserve the ultra-praise KL dishes up, but it's worth watching.
I found it pretty addictive, but ultimately it fell a bit flat. A lot of anime unravel poorly at their ending, so it's not a paritcular problem with Utena.

Just don't get over-hyped and wind up disappointed.

I probably shouldn't even mention this since I am going to be told how wrong I am, but I just watched the first four episodes of Rurouni Kenshin. The opening and ending songs are really weird and seem out of place, but the show itself was really enjoyable so far. Kaoru is great, and Kenshin has his funny and crazy action moments. I'm looking forward to more.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']You must have greatly misunderstood Amazon's listings.[/QUOTE]

Yup! I should have looked more into some of the prices and the specific listings but I didn't, at least where the bootleg was concerned. Overall, though, trekking out to that particular mall for the three individual volumes wouldn't be a useful venture for most, only if they needed to fill up holes in their original collection with those volumes.

But thanks for setting things straight! That was insanely useful! I just didn't want the_punisher to consider hitting up that mall when, realistically, there wasn't anything of import there. That and, really, that mall has gone downhill over the past 10 years and it is in no way worth an hour drive. ;)

[quote name='Kapwanil']Yup! I should have looked more into some of the prices and the specific listings but I didn't, at least where the bootleg was concerned. Overall, though, trekking out to that particular mall for the three individual volumes wouldn't be a useful venture for most, only if they needed to fill up holes in their original collection with those volumes.

But thanks for setting things straight! That was insanely useful! I just didn't want the_punisher to consider hitting up that mall when, realistically, there wasn't anything of import there. That and, really, that mall has gone downhill over the past 10 years and it is in no way worth an hour drive. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think it's safe to say i won't be watching Utena for awhile. I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a series when i could probably watch one just as good for 1/20th the price ;).

I've been waiting for part 3 of Gurren Lagann to come in from RightStuf for a month now. It makes me sad.
I've been thinking about buying the last 2 Marmalade Boy boxsets from eBay recently, and trying to marathon that over the summer. I haven't seen that in probably about 7 years or so, but I haven't really watched much anime in quite awhile.

[quote name='Razzuel']I probably shouldn't even mention this since I am going to be told how wrong I am, but I just watched the first four episodes of Rurouni Kenshin. The opening and ending songs are really weird and seem out of place, but the show itself was really enjoyable so far. Kaoru is great, and Kenshin has his funny and crazy action moments. I'm looking forward to more.[/QUOTE]

Watch the first OVA, I think it is called trust and betrayal or something. It is way better than the series.

[quote name='the_punisher']I think it's safe to say i won't be watching Utena for awhile. I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a series when i could probably watch one just as good for 1/20th the price ;).[/QUOTE]

So download it! Nobody should deprive themselves from the awesomeness that is Utena. The second hit for "Utena" on TokyoTosho.info is the one you want.

I finished watching Boys Be last night. It was decent, although
it didn't have much of an ending, which was kinda disappointing. I guess for an episodic series like that, it doesn't matter as much though.
The soundtrack and drawing style weren't my favorite, but there were a few good stories in there. Also, gotta love the random body shots of Asian chicks at the halfway point of each episode, lol (so random). I love how karaoke is in pretty much any anime with school kids, haha. I guess it's the thing to do in Japan.

Also, completely unrelated, but this song is sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l7yjJT2RBI

I guess there were a few songs I liked, but most of it seemed pretty generic/corny to me. Actually, I think that's the overall impression I got of the show in general, heh. Some of it reminded me of Suzuka, but it just wasn't as good (to me, anyway). I still enjoyed it though.

Well, Boys Be is a lot older than Suzuka, so really it's Suzuka that reminds you of Boys Be. I should probably check out this Suzuka since everyone's been saying generally good things about it recently.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I finished watching Boys Be last night. It was decent, although
it didn't have much of an ending, which was kinda disappointing. I guess for an episodic series like that, it doesn't matter as much though.
The soundtrack and drawing style weren't my favorite, but there were a few good stories in there. Also, gotta love the random body shots of Asian chicks at the halfway point of each episode, lol (so random). I love how karaoke is in pretty much any anime with school kids, haha. I guess it's the thing to do in Japan.
[/QUOTE]

I think you're onto something there.

As soon as you said it, i thought of all the times that i've seen karaoke in anime, Suzuka just recently. Well, their culture is different from ours. Don't forget, they get to watch anime and be normal about it :D.

Since we seem to be good at saying completely unrelated things, anyone know where to get El Hazard OVA Vol. 1 cheap? I ordered both volumes (since you guys said it was good, and also it's the only good thing in its series) $5 each on TSRI, but vol. 1 got cancelled. Anyone know a place to pick it up?

[quote name='the_punisher']Well, their culture is different from ours. Don't forget, they get to watch anime and be normal about it :D.[/QUOTE]

Ahahaa... no they don't.

Japan really has mastered the art of karaoke, though. Sigh... I miss it so much.

[quote name='the_punisher']Since we seem to be good at saying completely unrelated things, anyone know where to get El Hazard OVA Vol. 1 cheap? I ordered both volumes (since you guys said it was good, and also it's the only good thing in its series) $5 each on TSRI, but vol. 1 got cancelled. Anyone know a place to pick it up?[/QUOTE]

Check Amazon, Half.com, SecondSpin... the usual suspects. Good luck, it's totally worth the hunt.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']heck Amazon, Half.com, SecondSpin... the usual suspects. Good luck, it's totally worth the hunt.[/QUOTE]

They're all over $30, and secondspin doesn't even have it. What gives? It was only $5 on TSRI too....

bread's done
Back