Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Razzuel']Well, since no one has commented on what they thought of Kurau, what did you think of Kurau?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I own it, but haven't watched it yet! It's something I'll probably watch soon, though, so I'll let you know when I do.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Nobody should watch Best Student Council. ;)[/QUOTE]

While you may be an ass sometimes, i lol'd at that. I was hoping you'd give me some recommendations from my comment =/.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Actually, I own it, but haven't watched it yet! It's something I'll probably watch soon, though, so I'll let you know when I do.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's actually surprising that you haven't seen it. Well, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Also, anyone else who has not see Kurau should watch Kurau.

[quote name='the_punisher']While you may be an ass sometimes, i lol'd at that. I was hoping you'd give me some recommendations from my comment =/.[/QUOTE]

Happy to entertain you. :D

You said you're looking for "relaxing" shows? By that, I'm assuming you mean more on the comedy end of the spectrum, maybe drama, but not action? Anyways, don't even hesitate on picking up Azumanga Daioh. It's the best school comedy anime that exists, *by far*, and also my second-favorite anime of all time. From looking at my shelf, let's see what else I have along those lines...

Ah! My Goddess
Air
Dragon Half
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Haibane Renmei
Jubei-chan
Kaleido Star
Marmalade Boy
Mushi-shi
Paradise Kiss
Planetes
Strawberry Marshmallow

Heck, even R.O.D The TV sort of fits under this category for a good chunk of it. Forgive me if any of these are repeats of something you've already seen. It's hard to keep track.

[quote name='Razzuel']Wow. That's actually surprising that you haven't seen it. Well, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I downloaded the fansubs of it back when it was first airing, but never got around to it. I noticed the DVDs were on clearance at RightStuf, so I took a chance and picked 'em up. Studio Bones rarely disappoints me, so here's hoping it's as good as you say.

Yes, Haibane Renmei was amazing—one of my favorites—and sort of fits under that relaxing category. However, I think NieA_7 fits that relaxing/funny category even better. I loved NieA_7. Also, NieA_7 is by the same people that did Lain and Haibane.

Actually, I have loved each anime Yoshitoshi ABe has been associated with, and speaking of ABe, I have just started watching Texhnolyze.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Happy to entertain you. :D

You said you're looking for "relaxing" shows? By that, I'm assuming you mean more on the comedy end of the spectrum, maybe drama, but not action? Anyways, don't even hesitate on picking up Azumanga Daioh. It's the best school comedy anime that exists, *by far*, and also my second-favorite anime of all time. From looking at my shelf, let's see what else I have along those lines...

Ah! My Goddess
Air
Dragon Half
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Haibane Renmei
Jubei-chan
Kaleido Star
Marmalade Boy
Mushi-shi
Paradise Kiss
Planetes
Strawberry Marshmallow

Heck, even R.O.D The TV sort of fits under this category for a good chunk of it. Forgive me if any of these are repeats of something you've already seen. It's hard to keep track.

Yeah, I downloaded the fansubs of it back when it was first airing, but never got around to it. I noticed the DVDs were on clearance at RightStuf, so I took a chance and picked 'em up. Studio Bones rarely disappoints me, so here's hoping it's as good as you say.[/QUOTE]

Thank you :)

I'm watching Air, and own but haven't seen DragonHalf. The rest i'll definitely look into, i'm just glad that there are things out there. And if DD's sale is true, i definitely will get Daioh.

Kaleido Star is a very good watch as is Azumanga. Both of those are anime you can watch and "relax", by which I assume you mean little to no explosions or action-filled intensity. I hesitate on recommending Dragon Half and Jubei-chan as relaxing as you'll most likely be splitting your sides laughing.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']
I don't wanna say too much about why you should watch it in broadcast order... Just do it. :p[/QUOTE]

Tell me! I only watched it in chronological order, and I'll probably never bother watching it again.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Tell me! I only watched it in chronological order, and I'll probably never bother watching it again.[/QUOTE]

Well, the thing is, the endings end up being completely different.

If you watch it chronologically, the big event comes halfway into the series. The problem is that the other six episodes don't take it far after that. Episode 12 (or 13, depending on whether you count 00 as the first episode or not) is the final event that happens, but it doesn't really tie up the series at all. That's why it's shown halfway through in broadcast order.

Hmmm... I think another good way to put it is that the last half of the episodes in DVD order focus more on the characters than the plot. So you'd basically be getting a heavy dose of plot and then a heavy dose of characters. I can see why that would put people off, which is why I always recommend broadcast order.

Ummm, I think I'm rambling now, and I probably made a confusing point somewhere. So if you need me to clarify something, just ask.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Well, the thing is, the endings end up being completely different.

If you watch it chronologically, the big event comes halfway into the series. The problem is that the other six episodes don't take it far after that. Episode 12 (or 13, depending on whether you count 00 as the first episode or not) is the final event that happens, but it doesn't really tie up the series at all. That's why it's shown halfway through in broadcast order.

Hmmm... I think another good way to put it is that the last half of the episodes in DVD order focus more on the characters than the plot. So you'd basically be getting a heavy dose of plot and then a heavy dose of characters. I can see why that would put people off, which is why I always recommend broadcast order.

Ummm, I think I'm rambling now, and I probably made a confusing point somewhere. So if you need me to clarify something, just ask.[/QUOTE]

The whole series is very confusing to newcomers i'd bet. Basically, it's meant to be watched in broadcast order- that's a fact because the last episode in chronological order doesn't have the op/ed's of a typical final episode of an anime, and also doesn't really provide closure.

Also, the first episode of the DVD order and broadcast order, Episode 00, should be watched 11 in the series, as the timeline mentions. Otherwise, the series might get you off to a bad start. It's not that the episode is bad, but you won't get the right idea if you watch it first.

I didn't think it was confusing at all. When I first started watching it, I was of the opinion of most everyone else, "this is the best thing ever". But, there was no sort of closure in the end, and I don't think it would've mattered which order I watched it in.

[quote name='the_punisher']I just wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations. I feel like i'm running out of relaxing shows like this, and i really need them to help me move through the long work days :).[/QUOTE]

Well, if you don't mind a comedy that has no story at all, Cromartie High School. It's hilarious, but just don't expect any continuity.

I agree with the above that Azumanga Daioh is an excellent show. Given that I got the recommendation for it a few years back from OXM , I was very satisfied with the show , even the ending , a spot that many animes/mangas falter in. Was the actual manga for the series any good? I remember flipping through it once at Waldenbooks and wasn't that impressed.

Damn, reading some of the posts here reminds me that I need to get my hands on Jubei Chan. I've been wanting to watch that for a LONG time, like really long time. It just so happens that I usually don't have enough time or money whenever I get the chance to buy it.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Damn, reading some of the posts here reminds me that I need to get my hands on Jubei Chan. I've been wanting to watch that for a LONG time, like really long time. It just so happens that I usually don't have enough time or money whenever I get the chance to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Since Jubei-chan 2 hasn't been license-rescued from Geneon, and it's currently on clearance for $7 per disc at RightStuf, I suggest you pick it up sooner rather than later. It's a fantastic series that hits the perfect balance between comedy, drama, and action.

just wanna say i remember when anime was the $35 for two eps on a vhs.

i've seen everyone on thelonepig's list except hamelin. it just didn't sound like something i wanted to watch.

azumanga is pretty universally agreed upon as one of the primary reasons to watch anime. period.

i must admit i missed jubei-chan when it came out despite my friend's recommendations. i gotta get on that at some point.

ALSO EVERYONE I AM UNLOADING ALL MY MANGA.

if you're in the chicagoland area you can save a bunch on shipping if you want any.
the rest i'll probably ebay/CL.

i've already put my X/1999 collection up on ebay.

http://$$$$$$$$$$$$/l7zvm7

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Since Jubei-chan 2 hasn't been license-rescued from Geneon, and it's currently on clearance for $7 per disc at RightStuf, I suggest you pick it up sooner rather than later. It's a fantastic series that hits the perfect balance between comedy, drama, and action.[/QUOTE]

Hmm....you piqued my interest, but i haven't seen Jubei-Chan 1. Is that cheap somewhere?

Just spent 2 days watching His & Her Circumstance dvds 1-3 and on Friday I"m going to order the last 2 dvds to finish it off. I haven't watched this show since I had it on a fansubbed vhs tape back in college, and it's still just as good. I honestly like the dub too, though I have a bias towards liking dubs (you tend to when you have actually DONE dub work).

[quote name='StarKnightX']Was the actual manga for the series any good? I remember flipping through it once at Waldenbooks and wasn't that impressed.[/QUOTE]

I like it, but it's a bit different from the anime. First of all, it's written in a 4 panel column style. So basically the "storylines" are mostly just 4 panels long, though some of them continue on the next column. Really, it's just these little humorous events that happen over the course of the day. It doesn't really follow any rhyme or reason. What the anime did was just combine a bunch of those mini stories and just make them flow, whether it's in the same day, week, whatever.

Actually, the manga clips Minun has been posting in his blog uses the 4 panel style so you could get a feel for it. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=9034

[quote name='Chronis']I like it, but it's a bit different from the anime. First of all, it's written in a 4 panel column style. So basically the "storylines" are mostly just 4 panels long, though some of them continue on the next column. Really, it's just these little humorous events that happen over the course of the day. It doesn't really follow any rhyme or reason. What the anime did was just combine a bunch of those mini stories and just make them flow, whether it's in the same day, week, whatever.

Actually, the manga clips Minun has been posting in his blog uses the 4 panel style so you could get a feel for it. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=9034[/QUOTE]

I should have clarified that I actually have read some of the first volume of the series before , I just wasn't that impressed with it. Felt that the format of the series worked better as an anime than as a manga. I was more wondering whether it got better , or that I was being too hard on it.

[quote name='ryoga79']Just spent 2 days watching His & Her Circumstance dvds 1-3 and on Friday I"m going to order the last 2 dvds to finish it off. I haven't watched this show since I had it on a fansubbed vhs tape back in college, and it's still just as good. I honestly like the dub too, though I have a bias towards liking dubs (you tend to when you have actually DONE dub work).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really enjoyed the dub too. Veronica Taylor does an amazing job as Yukino, but I think the best voice actor of the bunch is Liam O'Brien who plays Asaba. Asaba's character is hilarious, but his voice makes Asaba that much better.

I don't remember which episode, but one of my favorite scenes is between Yukino and Tsubasa.
Tsubasa finds Arima's wallet; inside she finds a picture of Yukino. Then she tears the picture in half and puts it in the incinerator. Once Yukino finds the picture she goes into some insane demon mode, out to get Tsubasa. Yukino's chase of Tsubasa was so amazing/hilarious. I really like it when they show Yukino's "evil" side.

Oh, another awesome scene is near the beginning when Arima shows up at Yukino's house.
Yukino thinks Kano—or was it Tsukino—forgot something at the house, so Yukino goes to the front door. When she opens the front door she goes to drop kick who she thinks is her sister, but Arima is standing there. Since Yukino isn't putting on her facade she just sits there in the air. The scene is standstill for what seems like 30 seconds or something. That was one of the funniest scenes because of that stillness and Yukino's slow realization of what just happened.

Have you seen the whole series or have you not seen it all yet?

[quote name='the_punisher']Hmm....you piqued my interest, but i haven't seen Jubei-Chan 1. Is that cheap somewhere?[/QUOTE]

RightStuf has the first season for $29.99, though that'll be cheaper during their next Bandai sale. Both seasons are fan-fucking-tastic.

Alright I just finished watching My Neighbor Totoro, which means I have seen all of Studio Ghibli's films that have been released in North America. Totoro was great. Also, that cat bus is insane.

I love all of Ghibli's films, but I think if I had to choose favorites, then my favorites would be Nausicaä, Whisper of the Heart, and Spirited Away. Hmm, but then again I would rather say they are all my favorites haha!

[quote name='the_punisher']Hmm....you piqued my interest, but i haven't seen Jubei-Chan 1. Is that cheap somewhere?[/QUOTE]

It's in the RightStuf.com Deal of the Day section for June 18th, $22.99 or $20.69 with Got Anime. Offer 7 of 10.

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah, I really enjoyed the dub too. Veronica Taylor does an amazing job as Yukino, but I think the best voice actor of the bunch is Liam O'Brien who plays Asaba. Asaba's character is hilarious, but his voice makes Asaba that much better.

I don't remember which episode, but one of my favorite scenes is between Yukino and Tsubasa.
Tsubasa finds Arima's wallet; inside she finds a picture of Yukino. Then she tears the picture in half and puts it in the incinerator. Once Yukino finds the picture she goes into some insane demon mode, out to get Tsubasa. Yukino's chase of Tsubasa was so amazing/hilarious. I really like it when they show Yukino's "evil" side.

Oh, another awesome scene is near the beginning when Arima shows up at Yukino's house.
Yukino thinks Kano—or was it Tsukino—forgot something at the house, so Yukino goes to the front door. When she opens the front door she goes to drop kick who she thinks is her sister, but Arima is standing there. Since Yukino isn't putting on her facade she just sits there in the air. The scene is standstill for what seems like 30 seconds or something. That was one of the funniest scenes because of that stillness and Yukino's slow realization of what just happened.

Have you seen the whole series or have you not seen it all yet?[/QUOTE]

Yea, I saw it years ago when I was in college and a friend of mine got me all 25 eps subbed on vhs, so it's been at least 8 or so years since I watched it. Plus, I like having full series on dvd.

For the record, I hate Jubei-chan, both in english AND japanese. But that's just me.

e are pleased to inform you that your order has shipped.
Unless we contact you regarding a problem, you can
count on your shipment leaving our warehouse within the next 2
business days.

For your convenience, we have provided a detailed list of all
items shipped to you:

Quant. Item Description Amount
------ -------------------- ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 DNTH100 Now and Then, Here and There DVD Complet $ 17.99
1 DGFF001 Grave of the Fireflies DVD (Hyb) 11.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Item Total: $ 29.98
Tax: 0.00
Postage & Handling: 0.00
----------
Total: $ 29.98

Hell. Yes.

Also guys, i might be going to Otakon 2009. I've never been before, but it looks awesome, and i think i know enough now to be able to go. Not sure on the details yet, but MELL is guna be there!!!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Since Jubei-chan 2 hasn't been license-rescued from Geneon, and it's currently on clearance for $7 per disc at RightStuf, I suggest you pick it up sooner rather than later. It's a fantastic series that hits the perfect balance between comedy, drama, and action.[/QUOTE]Holy crap! Thanks for letting me know about this. Damn, I'm gonna have to find a way to scrape together some pennies for this, lol.

[quote name='GenDV138']It's in the RightStuf.com Deal of the Day section for June 18th, $22.99 or $20.69 with Got Anime. Offer 7 of 10.[/QUOTE]

Wow, i never knew TSRI had a DotD section. Where is it? Is it even worth checking every day?

[quote name='the_punisher']Wow, i never knew TSRI had a DotD section. Where is it? Is it even worth checking every day?[/QUOTE]

I rarely ever check it. The problem with it is they show you one deal then you have to choose to take it or pass on it and see the next deal, so you can't get the previous deals. There are 10 deals, and most of the time they're shirts or wall scrolls.

Also, if you go to Otakon, have fun. I went to Otakon for like 7 years. They were good times.

It's called "Shawne's Deal of the Day" and you it's in the top right corner of the page after you click on the "Anime SuperStore" tab at the top. I've used it once--when I bought the EVA Perfect Platinum collection for $50. Usually if anything is worth getting, someone will post about it though. Or I'm sure you could do a search to find out what was on sale if you didn't want to blow your chances and pass something up for good.

My order shipped too (for NaTHaT, and GotF). The DC # they gave me seems to be off though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I rarely ever check it. The problem with it is they show you one deal then you have to choose to take it or pass on it and see the next deal, so you can't get the previous deals. There are 10 deals, and most of the time they're shirts or wall scrolls.

Also, if you go to Otakon, have fun. I went to Otakon for like 7 years. They were good times.[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me anything about it? There don't seem to be too many details, but i'm just going based on the fact that:

1) It's an anime convention.

2) Crispin Freeman will be there.

3) MELL is playing live.

4) Crispin Freeman will be there.

I haven't been to Otakon in a couple years. Honestly, I felt like that convention had just become too big and I wasn't having fun anymore. So I'm pretty much sticking to Anime Boston (which is also becoming gigantic) and Connecticon.

[quote name='the_punisher']Can you tell me anything about it? There don't seem to be too many details, but i'm just going based on the fact that:

1) It's an anime convention.

2) Crispin Freeman will be there.

3) MELL is playing live.

4) Crispin Freeman will be there.[/QUOTE]

The convention center is huge. You'll get lost constantly. And, your feet will hurt like hell by the end of the weekend.

I just finished School Rumble (season 2). About the ending:
There was absolutely no closure, which kinda annoys me. Does the manga have any sort of conclusion (don't tell me the details; I just want to know if a conclusion is reached or not [yes/no] to determine whether I should read it or not)??? EDIT: Nevermind, I watched the 2nd OAV, and it does give some closure.

For every good/funny episode, I thought there was an equally bad/stupid/annoying one, haha. It was a mixed bag for me, but I'm glad I watched it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went through the pre-order item page on TSRI since i was bored. A lot of good stuff is coming out, although a lot of it is rerelases.

I did find His & Her Circumstances, so that might finally be my chance to check it out.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/zFRkK067hO6KVS66S=/browse/item/83642/4/0/-2833

Also, Twelve Kingdoms is finally getting a full release, i might get that too.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/zFRkK067hO6KVS66S=/browse/item/83217/4/0/-2833

As for anime, i watched 2 disks of My-Otome yesterday. It's a pretty good series, and i always laugh when a "new character" is introduced with the same character design as the one from My-HiME, but their character is similar yet different. It makes the show really cool at times.

I'll probably finish Air this weekend, and keep watching Hellsing. I also have Suzuka on its way in the mail, hope it's good.

UPDATE: Desktop.
desktopbkrnd.jpg

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I just finished School Rumble (season 2). About the ending:
There was absolutely no closure, which kinda annoys me. Does the manga have any sort of conclusion (don't tell me the details; I just want to know if a conclusion is reached or not [yes/no] to determine whether I should read it or not)??? EDIT: Nevermind, I watched the 2nd OAV, and it does give some closure.

For every good/funny episode, I thought there was an equally bad/stupid/annoying one, haha. It was a mixed bag for me, but I'm glad I watched it.[/QUOTE]

The OVA is the same as the manga ending although, like the manga, it didn't have complete closure (at least to me).

Just finished Air.

I don't want to spoil anything, so i'll just say that i loved it. It starts out very slow-paced, and i honestly was starting to get bored with it.

The last two or three episodes, i honestly couldn't see. Sad, beautiful, amazing, i'm blown away. It's a strange anime in that it's definitely not one of my favorites, but it's definitely one of the most memorable. Getting the movie from TSRI soon, can't wait.

I took somewhat of a gamble, but I won this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Escaflowne-Complete-Collection-DVD-2006-Anime_W0QQitemZ250446885803QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item3a4fcc33ab&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Just have to pray that it's not a bootleg, heh
Even if it is, I could use the hard drive space xP
. $16 for the complete series of Escaflowne is pretty good though ;).

Also, started FMA today. I got through the first 7 episodes (1st disc), and I realized that I had already seen the first 7 episodes before on Adult Swim, haha. I thought I had just seen random episodes too, but I guess not. Well, it's been years anyway, so it was a good refresher. And yeah, it's a good show.

I just bought a bunch of Evangelion tapes from the flea market, I'm suprised at myself for never watching this series before. Probably gonna plow through them all on my next day off.

I remember watching bits and pieces of it before, when some station aired it. It was either on Adult Swim or G4 when it still supported anime. I'm leaning towards G4, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Even if nobody really responds to this thread a lot, i'll keep talking anyway.

I've been watching My-Otome, and could this be an underrated anime? I wasn't sure that those existed, but all i hear is that, if anyone talks about it at all, My-HiME is far superior to My-Otome, and My-Otome is more about fanservice.

Maybe this is just me, i'm currently on disk 5/6, but i think My-Otome may be better. The show definitely gets deep later in the series ("Why do we love?") and maybe it's just because i finished Air, but i feel like anime can sometimes be extremely psychological.

Even if the dub isn't the best, i was getting chills. Very surprised, but i think it's awesome.

Side-note, i rented Ninja Scroll and gave up on it about 1/3 of the way in. It reminded me of Basilisk....except not good.

I enjoyed My-Otome a bit more than My-HiMe also. I've still got to watch the My-Otome Zwei OVA sometime soon. Also hope that Bandai will bring the prequel OVA over here, My-Otome 0~S.ifr~.

I finished Eureka Seven a few days and thought it was pretty good. Enjoyed the music and thought the story was interesting, especially towards the end. I heard that some people thought Renton was annoying, but I didn't find him to be.

Wow, finally someone other than me on CAG that likes Eureka Seven ;) . Music in that series is awesome (I've got all the soundtracks). It's still my all-time favorite show.
Renton didn't annoy me at all, either. I don't understand those complaints; maybe it's because I could relate to what he was feeling a lot of the time.

I heard the same thing about My-Otome (not as good as Hime and more fanservice), but I after hearing you guys, I might have to check it out.

I'm up to Episode 18 in FMA. The pacing in that show is so perfect; there's never a boring moment. Bones Studio FTW.

I liked Eureka 7 , but the show took a bit to get going. The first bunch of episodes , I wanna say about up to the part that renton leaves the team (the first time?) , the show felt weakly put together. Too much unfunny forced humor too. But after that first major hump is over with the show gets a lot better and more interesting. Also , while renton isn't annoying through the whole show , in the beginning I found it a major turn off (my brother refused to watch the show beyond the first few episodes because of it).

Actually scratch part of that , I thought the events with Ray and Charles happened earlier in the show. In that case , after looking at the episode listing for the show I'd probably put it around episodes 8-10 where the show actually starts picking up.

Has anyone read the manga for Eureka 7? I know that manga's that are based off of animes often aren't as good (as opposed to the other way around) and was kinda curious about how this one turned out.

bread's done
Back