Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Razzuel']I also finished watching Bubblegum Crisis. It was pretty good. Bubblegum Crisis definitely takes some inspiration from Blade Runner, which I quite enjoyed, since Blade Runner is an amazing movie. It's pretty iconic even after more than 20 years since its creation; its story isn't entirely original anymore, but the Knight Sabers, the crime fighting girls in power suits, have an iconic image. Nene is probably my favorite Knight Saber, even though she's the least capable at physical combat, and Priss and Linna are probably tied for second. Sylia's definitely my least favorite, though she's not actually bad — she's just not as cool as the other three Knight Sabers. The music in Bubblegum Crisis is pretty awesome; it's a bunch of 80's Japanese rock and pop, and it sounds great. The first opening to Bubblegum Crisis, "There's a Hurricane Tonight," is probably the best song out of the bunch. Some parts of the show are a bit rough, but as it progresses, the show gets better and better. I think episodes seven and eight are probably the best episodes, but unfortunately the show ends with episode eight. Apparently it's because of a falling-out between production companies ARTMIC and Youmex. The show was already episodic in nature, but it felt like things were getting bigger and better with the last two episodes. I guess I'll have to fill this void with the sequels and spin-offs.

I definitely recommend Bubblegum Crisis for anyone who likes the old stuff and if you're a fan of science fiction like Blade Runner.[/QUOTE]

I love Bubblegum Crisis! 2040 was a lot of fun, but I couldn't stand the ending... and then ADV went up in smoke, so it's sequel (2043?) probably won't see the light of day. :cry:

[quote name='thelonepig']I love Bubblegum Crisis! 2040 was a lot of fun, but I couldn't stand the ending... and then ADV went up in smoke, so it's sequel (2043?) probably won't see the light of day. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Nice, it's good to see other people who appreciate some of the things I watch. Yeah, 2040 looks pretty cool; I'll probably buy it whenever I see it on sale somewhere. Though I can't say I'm excited about Nene's redesign. She no longer has pink hair! What were they thinking!?

You're right; it looks like 2040's sequel, 2041, was cancelled following the closure of ADV Films. That's a shame.

[quote name='Razzuel']Nice, it's good to see other people who appreciate some of the things I watch. Yeah, 2040 looks pretty cool; I'll probably buy it whenever I see it on sale somewhere. Though I can't say I'm excited about Nene's redesign. She no longer has pink hair! What were they thinking!?

You're right; it looks like 2040's sequel, 2041, was cancelled following the closure of ADV Films. That's a shame.[/QUOTE]

I'll warn you in advance. 2040 is grittier and darker than the original series, which you'll notice first in the art and music. I enjoy the music from both series, though, and have all of the soundtracks. :D

Also, I saw the first four episodes of 2040 at Sakura-con (or was it Baka-con?) many years ago when it first came out. I knew it was going to be shown, so I ended up watching all of BGC before the event. Big screen and loud speakers can seriously jade anyone's initial impression of a show. That may be the case with 2040, but I do love the first 3/4 of the show.

Oh, and new Nene > old Nene. ;)

[quote name='thelonepig']I'll warn you in advance. 2040 is grittier and darker than the original series, which you'll notice first in the art and music. I enjoy the music from both series, though, and have all of the soundtracks. :D

Also, I saw the first four episodes of 2040 at Sakura-con (or was it Baka-con?) many years ago when it first came out. I knew it was going to be shown, so I ended up watching all of BGC before the event. Big screen and loud speakers can seriously jade anyone's initial impression of a show. That may be the case with 2040, but I do love the first 3/4 of the show.[/QUOTE]

The art does look pretty spiffy, which excites me, but the redesigns of the characters are kind of jarring after just finishing the original series, though I'm sure they'll be completely natural whenever I start watching 2040. I'll have to track down the soundtracks. I definitely need a copy of "There's a Hurricane Tonight."

[quote name='thelonepig']Oh, and new Nene > old Nene. ;)[/QUOTE]

What? No way! Now I have to see 2040. I need to see this with my own eyes; I don't believe it. Maybe I'll buy 2040 sooner than I anticipated.

Does anyone know if the most recent Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 collection is a brick, a lite-box, a stack-pack, or a thinpak set?

I concur New Nene > Old Nene. And I think that collection is a mini-pack but I could be wrong. Oh, and the dub is hilarious (good but hilarious), in the japanese version in one scene someone is gasping in surprise at what's going on, in the english version she says "Oh you're fucking kidding me!" Checked it on amazon through animenewsnetwork, and I stand corrected not only is it not a mini-pack, its not even a GOOD brick (aka all are in seperate pages), no its a CRAP brick, like the ones that Galaxy angels comes in.
2cc7419328a03974716dd110.L.jpg

keep in mind when I say good brick, I mean a brick that's good for a brick. (if that makes sense)

[quote name='Gden']I concur New Nene > Old Nene. And I think that collection is a mini-pack but I could be wrong. Oh, and the dub is hilarious (good but hilarious), in the japanese version in one scene someone is gasping in surprise at what's going on, in the english version she says "Oh you're fucking kidding me!" Checked it on amazon through animenewsnetwork, and I stand corrected not only is it not a mini-pack, its not even a GOOD brick (aka all are in seperate pages), no its a CRAP brick, like the ones that Galaxy angels comes in. keep in mind when I say good brick, I mean a brick that's good for a brick. (if that makes sense)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I appreciate it. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol well i found a good deal on eBay and needed to empty my PayPal account anyways. i'll tell you what I think of it in a couple days.[/QUOTE]

just finished it (The Sky Crawlers), the engrish in the Japanese VAs was a bit off putting in some of the scenes but otherwise it's easily a new favorite movie of mine.

I've finished the first 4 volumes of Lucky Star. I enjoy it. Although, they talk to fast (or have 3 or 4 people talking at once so often) that I have difficulty keeping up with the subtitles sometimes.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I've finished the first 4 volumes of Lucky Star. I enjoy it. Although, they talk to fast (or have 3 or 4 people talking at once so often) that I have difficulty keeping up with the subtitles sometimes.[/QUOTE]
Try the English dub

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Did you call me an elitist like a week ago? And, now you suggest I watch a dub. Those kinda contradict one another.[/QUOTE]
Ok, then don't watch the English dub. Keep listening to the Japanese dub you don't understand a word of and struggle to read the subtitles.

[quote name='lilman']Keep listening to the Japanese dub you don't understand a word of[/QUOTE]
Actually, I took Japanese for 4 years. I also have trouble hearing, and I don't want to turn it up so loud that I bother the people living in the apartment next to me. But, go on making assumptions, it's working out for you.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Actually, I took Japanese for 4 years. I also have trouble hearing, and I don't want to turn it up so loud that I bother the people living in the apartment next to me. But, go on making assumptions, it's working out for you.[/QUOTE]
You're a nice neighbor :)

I don't think it matters how many years you've taken Japanese... when it comes to listening/reading another language you are either fluent or you aren't. I took years of Spanish, my parents speak it often at home, and I still would never watch a show in Spanish or read Spanish subtitles because I'm not fluent and would miss a lot of content. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Maybe you can slow the playback down a bit so that you have more time to read the subtitles. I think most dvd players support slowing down playback. Or would that make the animation too annoying to watch?

You can also try attaching wireless headphones to your tv. All the people in my house use them because I have freaky strong hearing and I hear tvs in other rooms as if they were right in front of me (which makes it annoying to watch tv in my own room). They work really well and should help you hear better without annoying the neighbors.

I've taken four years of German, and I still don't know German. If you want to become fluent in another language, then you need to be using that language on a regular basis. My German was poor even immediately after my four years of study, but now it's been about four years since then, and I barely remember any of it, and it's because I never spoke or read German on a regular basis.

Also, I have that same damn problem with other televisions. There's a another television on the other side of my wall where I watch TV, and if that TV is on in the other room, then I hear every little sound, which is incredibly distracting. That's one of the reasons I haven't been watching as much as I usually watch lately. I've tried using headphones, but they don't block out the noise.

[quote name='Razzuel']I've taken four years of German, and I still don't know German. If you want to become fluent in another language, then you need to be using that language on a regular basis. My German was poor even immediately after my four years of study, but now it's been about four years since then, and I barely remember any of it, and it's because I never spoke or read German on a regular basis.

Also, I have that same damn problem with other televisions. There's a another television on the other side of my wall where I watch TV, and if that TV is on in the other room, then I hear every little sound, which is incredibly distracting. That's one of the reasons I haven't been watching as much as I usually watch lately. I've tried using headphones, but they don't block out the noise.[/QUOTE]

Unless you grew up bi-lingual, I don't think there's any substitute for living in a country where it's the spoken language. Regarding loud televisions, I get that too, but then I have access to a pair of those expensive Bose noise-cancelling headphones for when my headset is insufficient, but usually loud volume on that is enough.

[quote name='Shinpachi']Unless you grew up bi-lingual, I don't think there's any substitute for living in a country where it's the spoken language.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree.

Concur.
Watching/reading/etc..will give you a good vocab so you can understand things but it doesn't teach you how to form sentences/conjugate verbs/tenses.

I can stumble around Japan and survive but I don't consider myself "fluent".
I always feel anxiety speaking to true natives/fluents.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I get that too, but then I have access to a pair of those expensive Bose noise-cancelling headphones for when my headset is insufficient, but usually loud volume on that is enough.[/QUOTE]

These headphones are more than worth it. I don't even remember when I bought them (probably 5 years ago, maybe more), and I use them almost daily. As long as something is on (anime, music, anything), you will NOT hear anything else.

On planes, they're the best thing to have. Also use them watching anime in my dorm while the TV is on, and you can't even hear it.

Basically, go buy them.

I've also spoken Spanish for 6 years, but I couldn't watch a show in Spanish. I could easily write it and read it, but i'm still nowhere near fluent. Trying to speak like a Spaniard, or interpret one, is too much.

I took 4 years of German, 2 years of Latin and 2 years of Japanese, but can't remember much of any of them.

On the other hand, I am fluent in Spanish (speak, read, write, hear) after spending 2 years in a hispanic community back east.

No amount of education can compensate for total immersion.

I really wish I hadn't watched Evangelion.

Ever since I have, I can't stop thinking about the world in general, life, all those "deep" thoughts about how our world works (ie death), and I gotta say, it's scaring the shit out of me.

It's probably not helping that I'm currently working at a job I don't really love, but the whole idea of Evangelion's end is just stuck in my head.

Maybe anime itself is depressing. Why is it always about saving humanity anyway?

/depressing rant

I have a question for anyone who has watched Clannad. I saw that the English dub was released and was thinking about getting it, but first can you tell me:
(Clannad spoiler)
Is Clannad really depressing? Specifically, does it deal with illness and/or death of main characters? Please spoiler reply.

[quote name='the_punisher']Maybe anime itself is depressing. Why is it always about saving humanity anyway?

/depressing rant[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of anime series that aren't depressing. Lately all I watch is non-depressing anime, so if you want some recs you can pm me your MAL (you can see mine by clicking my username -> Visit lilman's homepage. Basically whatever I'm currently watching is guaranteed to be light-hearted fun or mindless action).

[quote name='the_punisher']Depression[/QUOTE]

If you want to watch something depressing, then make sure you watch Texhnolyze. I'd tell you to watch Now and Then, Here and There as well, but you've already seen it.

Also, when your luck's as bad as mine, then cynicism, depression, disappointment, and all those good things become quite normal. Basically, you probably shouldn't worry yourself too much over stuff like death. Don't worry, your death is coming, and you can't stop it. You just need to accept it, as unfortunate as it is.

Anyway...

[quote name='lilman']I have a question for anyone who has watched Clannad. I saw that the English dub was released and was thinking about getting it, but first can you tell me:
(Clannad spoiler)
Is Clannad really depressing? Specifically, does it deal with illness and/or death of main characters? Please spoiler reply.
[/QUOTE]

I remember you saying you were waiting for Clannad to be released in English, but I'd just like to reiterate that I think the English dub is poor and the Japanese dub is phenomenal. I really don't recommend the English dub.

Now that I've said that, here's what you would be getting into if you watched it:
Clannad isn't depressing, but one of the main characters does have an illness. Nobody dies in Clannad, but Clannad definitely has some drama in it, which shouldn't be too surprising since Clannad is a drama with a bunch of comedic bits thrown into it. Clannad has a similar format to Kanon: the main character helps other girls with their problems. Clannad's sequel, Clannad: After Story, does have death. I wouldn't say Clannad: After Story is depressing, but it does have some very sad moments that made me cry.

If you have Netflix, I suggest you try watching it there first before you decide to buy it — and if you were wondering if Netflix is streaming the English dub, then the answer is yes. Right Stuf's Section23 sale doesn't end for over two weeks, so you have some time test it out before you commit to purchasing it. I hope that helps!

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Concur.
Watching/reading/etc..will give you a good vocab so you can understand things but it doesn't teach you how to form sentences/conjugate verbs/tenses.

I can stumble around Japan and survive but I don't consider myself "fluent".
I always feel anxiety speaking to true natives/fluents.[/QUOTE]

I already learned basic sentence structures and I'm a wiz at conjugation. Languages are something I've always been really good at in school. I never understood how someone could get less than As in those sort of classes. I've taken French, Spanish and Japanese over the years. That said I only remember my Japanese, solely because I watch anime subbed. Sure, I'm not fluent, but I can get through about 50% of any given anime without subtitles. And, I'm always picking up a new word or two.

I also have half a dozen friends who have majored in Japanese and/or linguistic and have spent 1+ years living in Japan. So, I have people like that to practice with.

Though, it's much more fun to mess around and talk like the main character of a shonen show than it is to speak proper Japanese.

Also, Raz will be slightly happy because I'm going to pick up Gunbuster from the DeepDiscount sale. (Although, he'd be happier if I watched that Karau or whatever it was).

[quote name='the_punisher']I really wish I hadn't watched Evangelion.

Ever since I have, I can't stop thinking about the world in general, life, all those "deep" thoughts about how our world works (ie death), and I gotta say, it's scaring the shit out of me.

It's probably not helping that I'm currently working at a job I don't really love, but the whole idea of Evangelion's end is just stuck in my head.

Maybe anime itself is depressing. Why is it always about saving humanity anyway?

/depressing rant[/QUOTE]

Wait til you see the first part of the movie.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Also, Raz will be slightly happy because I'm going to pick up Gunbuster from the DeepDiscount sale. (Although, he'd be happier if I watched that Karau or whatever it was).[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, Gunbuster! You know, this might be sacrilegious, but lately I've been thinking that I might like Gunbuster more than Evangelion. I mean Asuka is fucking amazing, but Noriko in Gunbuster is fucking amazing too, man. Anyway, good job in purchasing Gunbuster. You'll have to let us know what you think after you watch it; I'm quite curious.

I'll take what I can get, but you really should watch Kurau; everyone who I've recommended it to has liked it.

I'll watch Kurau in, like, 5 years. Sometimes I just can't get excited for something if people overly-hype it, so I wait until no one remembers it and then watch it.

[quote name='Razzuel']I remember you saying you were waiting for Clannad to be released in English, but I'd just like to reiterate that I think the English dub is poor and the Japanese dub is phenomenal. I really don't recommend the English dub.

Now that I've said that, here's what you would be getting into if you watched it:
Clannad isn't depressing, but one of the main characters does have an illness. Nobody dies in Clannad, but Clannad definitely has some drama in it, which shouldn't be too surprising since Clannad is a drama with a bunch of comedic bits thrown into it. Clannad has a similar format to Kanon: the main character helps other girls with their problems. Clannad's sequel, Clannad: After Story, does have death. I wouldn't say Clannad: After Story is depressing, but it does have some very sad moments that made me cry.

If you have Netflix, I suggest you try watching it there first before you decide to buy it — and if you were wondering if Netflix is streaming the English dub, then the answer is yes. Right Stuf's Section23 sale doesn't end for over two weeks, so you have some time test it out before you commit to purchasing it. I hope that helps![/QUOTE]
I do have Netflix and saw that Clannad was available for streaming but assumed it was the Jap dub/Eng sub only... thanks for clarifying that. As for what you said in the spoiler:
(Clannad spoiler)
If Clannad deals with illness of a main character then I will pass on it for now. I've read positive reviews of the series and the quality looks great, so I will have to pick it up at a later time. Thanks for your input.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'll watch Kurau in, like, 5 years. Sometimes I just can't get excited for something if people overly-hype it, so I wait until no one remembers it and then watch it.[/QUOTE]

You know, no one has been over-hyping Kurau. I have been very persistent and determined to recommend it to as many people as possible, and those who have watched it have enjoyed it, but I understand your point, though how can you guarantee you'll remember it, haha?

[quote name='lilman']I do have Netflix and saw that Clannad was available for streaming but assumed it was the Jap dub/Eng sub only... thanks for clarifying that. As for what you said in the spoiler:
(Clannad spoiler)
If Clannad deals with illness of a main character then I will pass on it for now. I've read positive reviews of the series and the quality looks great, so I will have to pick it up at a later time. Thanks for your input.
[/QUOTE]

Yup, Netflix is streaming the English dub version of Clannad.

And as for your expectations for Clannad:
The illness that I spoke of isn't the focus of the show, but it does play a part in the story. Like I said before: the main focus of the show is the main character helping out a couple of girls, but you might not want to watch it according to what little information you've revealed about your situation. That's why I suggested you try it out on Netflix, but if that's even too much of a risk, then that's fine — I understand.

I have to agree with Razzuel about Clannad's dub, it's pretty atrocious. I only watched the 1st 5 episodes of the sub then saw the exact same episodes dubbed, and the difference was night and day. The voices simply didn't quite match the characters.

I've also recently rediscovered Anime Network on Demand on my cable provider, and am glad I did after ignoring it for a while. The best part is that it's part of our cable package, so I don't have to pay any extra cash.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have to agree with Razzuel about Clannad's dub, it's pretty atrocious. I only watched the 1st 5 episodes of the sub then saw the exact same episodes dubbed, and the difference was night and day. The voices simply didn't quite match the characters.[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right; the voices don't fit the characters. It's quite unfortunate, since I'm so fond of the show.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have to agree with Razzuel about Clannad's dub, it's pretty atrocious. I only watched the 1st 5 episodes of the sub then saw the exact same episodes dubbed, and the difference was night and day. The voices simply didn't quite match the characters.

I've also recently rediscovered Anime Network on Demand on my cable provider, and am glad I did after ignoring it for a while. The best part is that it's part of our cable package, so I don't have to pay any extra cash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the VA they picked for characters really didn't match. Youhei's voice came off as too whiny compared to the japanese version. Kyou's english VA made it sound like the character was in her twenties instead being a teen in high school. The one that bugged me the least was Nagisa's voice. The one thing that felt weird was that they added -chan when talking to some of the characters. It's just strange to hear that in an english dub.

Yeah, I also been looking at the Anime Network on Demand stuff too. I ignored it a couple years ago, since most of the stuff was really boring. But since Sentai Filmworks has been licensing the more popular stuff, I've been checking it out again. Although I don't know if it's Time Warner or what, the updates have been inconsistent lately(usually updated on wednesday night, but been spread out to a few episodes every few days lately).

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, the VA they picked for characters really didn't match. Youhei's voice came off as too whiny compared to the japanese version. Kyou's english VA made it sound like the character was in her twenties instead being a teen in high school. The one that bugged me the least was Nagisa's voice. The one thing that felt weird was that they added -chan when talking to some of the characters. It's just strange to hear that in an english dub.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Youhei is too whiny and he sounds like a geek like Yamazaki in Welcome to the NHK instead of a punk like his actual personality, Kyou definitely sounds like a middle-aged woman instead of a teenager in high school, and Tomoya sounds depressed all the time — there are more problems with the voices, but I'll stop there.

You're right they do use honorifics sometimes. I think the main problem is that they didn't entirely localize the English script. Some of the honorifics are used in nicknames like Fu-chan, but there are other instances of honorifics, and it seemed like they kept them in the English script because it fit the lip flaps. Also, there are some Japanese words and jokes that they either didn't translate or they left un-localized, such as tonkatsu instead of fried pork. Also, the exorbitant amount of name mispronunciation sounds like nails on chalkboard, such as nuh-gee-suh instead of nah-gee-sah. The whole script feels very lazy.

FINALLY! Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 is coming to DVD AUGUST 17TH. I've been waiting for this for awhile now, I was so in love with the first season that it became the first anime I can remember i almost instantly rewatched, and then loved even more the second time.

It's retailing for $65 which is definitely high, but it's $45 on Amazon and if I can get it in my goldbox, ~$41, which is more than good enough for me.

http://www.projectharuhi.net/?p=2855

In case you didn't get it,

yay.jpg

[quote name='the_punisher']FINALLY! Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 is coming to DVD AUGUST 17TH. I've been waiting for this for awhile now, I was so in love with the first season that it became the first anime I can remember i almost instantly rewatched, and then loved even more the second time.[/QUOTE]

Are you aware that eight of those episodes are basically the exact same episode over and over again?

That story doesn't mention if they'll do all 8 Endless Eight episodes. But would Bandai be that stupid to waste 2 discs(since there's usually 4 episodes on a disc) on alternate versions of 1 episode?

I also wonder when we'll hear about a Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya DVD release.

[quote name='the_punisher']FINALLY! Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 is coming to DVD AUGUST 17TH. I've been waiting for this for awhile now, I was so in love with the first season that it became the first anime I can remember i almost instantly rewatched, and then loved even more the second time.

It's retailing for $65 which is definitely high, but it's $45 on Amazon and if I can get it in my goldbox, ~$41, which is more than good enough for me.[/QUOTE]
Yay, thanks for posting this. Haruhi season 1 was amazing, definitely picking up season 2. Such a high msrp though... hopefully it shows up in my goldbox (come on Amazon, stop trying to make me buy Murder Princess, it's not going to happen :p)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Are you aware that eight of those episodes are basically the exact same episode over and over again?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but it's Haruhi! The first season was amazing, I have to watch the second season. But if you count the endless eight as one episode, then 7 episodes for $65 is a bit much to ask. It will be interesting to see how this sells in the US.

Has anyone heard about a Zero no Tsukaima (Familiar of Zero) season 2+ English dub release? I enjoyed the first season and would like to see the rest of the series in English dub if possible.

[quote name='lilman']Yay, thanks for posting this. Haruhi season 1 was amazing, definitely picking up season 2. Such a high msrp though... hopefully it shows up in my goldbox (come on Amazon, stop trying to make me buy Murder Princess, it's not going to happen :p)

Yes, but it's Haruhi! The first season was amazing, I have to watch the second season. But if you count the endless eight as one episode, then 7 episodes for $65 is a bit much to ask. It will be interesting to see how this sells in the US.

[/QUOTE]

No problem.

It says all 14 episodes, so yes all of Endless Eight will be on there, and frankly I don't care at this point. I agree that even $40 for 8 episodes is a little ridiculous (no way I'd pay MSRP), but it includes a lot of extras (mostly music-related), and it's dubbed, and the fact of the matter is (unfortunately) I have to support the dub regardless of the price if I want them to continue dubbing it.

And like lilman said, it's Haruhi, I've been waiting too damn long for it to be localized to wait a year or two and save $20. I want it now. :nottalking:

Sorry to double post, but what a great day for anime!

Sentai23 has licensed X'amd (among a couple other re-releases, and Hell Girl Season 3) for release on DVD and Blu-Ray on September 14.

Before you go "shit, Sentai23, probably no dub", apparently there's a $10 premium on this version, and so it could have a chance of including a dub. And if it does, it becomes a must-buy for me.

Sources:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-06-24/section23-adds-xamd-hell-girl/three-vessels-anime
http://www.mania.com/sentai-acquires-xamd-hell-girl-season-3-anime-adds-new-dubs_article_123457.html

ANN already confirmed they'll have English, except for Hell Girl. Either way, I've wanted to watch Xamd for a while now, but I wasn't about to rent it on PSN for $4 an episode. I'm thinking I'll go for the bluray version, since one of the big draws of the show was how good it looked in HD.

[quote name='the_punisher']and the fact of the matter is (unfortunately) I have to support the dub regardless of the price if I want them to continue dubbing it[/QUOTE]
+1
Even though Bandai may still fail miserably even if Haruhi season 2 is a hit in the west, I like supporting dubs too. I watch anime at night and can't be reading subtitles that late, so the English dub industry is important to me.

The Haruhi Season 2 DVD news is pretty awesome. Can't wait for it.

I'm also up to episode 29 of Soul Eater. Keeps getting better and better. Justin Law ftw!

[quote name='Chronis']ANN already confirmed they'll have English, except for Hell Girl. Either way, I've wanted to watch Xamd for a while now, but I wasn't about to rent it on PSN for $4 an episode. I'm thinking I'll go for the bluray version, since one of the big draws of the show was how good it looked in HD.[/QUOTE]

YES! Now i'm definitely buying that too. I rented the first episode for the hell of it on PSN and thought it was interesting, definitely getting the Blu-Ray, thank you Sentai.

I'm having a great fucking day. Haruhi S2 dub + date, X'amd dub+date, and my brother just surprised me with the new iPhone.

:D

I'm stoked about Haruhi S2, although I will be skeptical about it considering all of the information on 8 episodes being the same. Also, will haruhi be seeing a blu release?

[quote name='lilman']Yes, but it's Haruhi! The first season was amazing, I have to watch the second season. But if you count the endless eight as one episode, then 7 episodes for $65 is a bit much to ask. It will be interesting to see how this sells in the US.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I don't care about the second season of Haruhi. The first season was incredibly boring, and the second season has eight episodes that are exactly the same, so I can't imagine the second season being enjoyable at all. I bet the animation will be great and the English dub will be awesome, but that's not worth 40 or more dollars.

[quote name='Chronis']ANN already confirmed they'll have English, except for Hell Girl. Either way, I've wanted to watch Xamd for a while now, but I wasn't about to rent it on PSN for $4 an episode. I'm thinking I'll go for the bluray version, since one of the big draws of the show was how good it looked in HD.[/QUOTE]

The first episode of Xam'd was amazing, and it looks fucking fantastic in 1080p, so everyone better buy the Blu-ray.

I'm hoping Clannad's English dub was just a fluke and that the rest of Sentai's English dubs aren't going to be so badly produced; however, a lot of respectable talent worked on the English dub of Clannad, and it still turned out terrible, so that doesn't bode well. If Sentai doesn't stream any of their other new shows with English dubs, then I'll probably have to rent them from Netflix before I make any purchasing decisions.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so yeah i'm gonna try to watch this avatar show people keep talking bout.[/QUOTE]

They made a anime about the James Cameron movie?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so yeah i'm gonna try to watch this avatar show people keep talking bout.[/QUOTE]
Yay, you won't be disappointed. Avatar TLA is the closest thing to anime to come out of the West. Even though it was made by Nickelodeon it is still very enjoyable for an adult audience.

[quote name='lilman']Yay, you won't be disappointed. Avatar TLA is the closest thing to anime to come out of the West. Even though it was made by Nickelodeon it is still very enjoyable for an adult audience.[/QUOTE]

Teen Titans, imo...

Anyway, this thread is over a year old. When do we start anew?

[quote name='lilman']Yay, you won't be disappointed. Avatar TLA is the closest thing to anime to come out of the West. Even though it was made by Nickelodeon it is still very enjoyable for an adult audience.[/QUOTE]

My boyfriend has never seen the third season, so I'm looking forward to watching that again soon. Avatar is just one of those special shows that's universally great.

[quote name='Chronis']Teen Titans, imo...

Anyway, this thread is over a year old. When do we start anew?[/QUOTE]

Start a new one up, my friend.

bread's done
Back