Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

Sadly the tamers and 02 opening wouldn't work as well. If you can't tell I'm a big fan of the guy who sings the japanese digimon openings. CRAP, I can't remember his name now. Oh, right, koji wada.
I think Adventure (especially the piano version) and Tamers are my favorite Digimon openings. I don't really remember 02's opening though.
Also, did you get Digimon Adventure? Series 6 is starting up in Japan next month.

Masaaki Endoh apparently sings everything eventually.

Another example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGxmir-P__4

i love god knows as its presented in the anime but every mp3 i've heard of it is some album version that sounds different. anyone know if there's a source for the anime version of the song?

Thanks for the advice on One Piece. My computer is getting to the end of its life so I was wanting to stay away from torrents. I think I'll just start reading it off onemanga.com instead. It was worth a shot. At least I'll have something to entertain me on my downtime at work.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Get past? Filler arcs are just as good as the regular stuff, at least when its filler set in the One Piece world, not that feudal japan stuff.

It works out better in One Piece moreso than other shows because at least towards the start they visit a wide variety of locales, so having a filler where they visit another locale is just like having extra adventure![/QUOTE]

The filler arcs were terribly dull and lacked the imagination found throughout the rest of the series. I found all of the fillers terribly dull, but to each his own. ;)

[quote name='the_punisher'] and i may've asked this before, but you watch anime at work?

Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Its really easy cubicle drone stuff (mostly data entry) so they let us have portable media players. Technically we're not supposed to be using them for movies, but none of management cares. I usually keep it in a spot no one else can see to also avoid the endless "are you watching cartoons" that I used to get.

Anyone know if Monster is gone for good? Syfy took it off of their programming with only 5 weeks to go. Sure as hell doesnt seem like Viz plans on releasing the rest of the boxsets either.

can't really talk about one piece manga, but i really don't go for action/fighting manga much since i like to watch the fights. it is really the best fighting anime i can think of and i didn't even know there was much filler outside of the old times garbage.

anyway watched a few more hours of kino's journey tonight. fuckwin.

[quote name='Bezerker']Anyone know if Monster is gone for good? Syfy took it off of their programming with only 5 weeks to go. Sure as hell doesnt seem like Viz plans on releasing the rest of the boxsets either.[/QUOTE]

Two more episodes will be airing the week after next, and I think we get two more after that at some point, but then it vanishes from their schedule and gets replaced by Requiem from the Darkness. It's pretty much the final fuck-you in the long history of fuck-you's related to Monster being released in America. So frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a manga for me. Looking for something like Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, SC of Lain, or Hell Girl. Something that is either horror or just plain weird.

I watched Magikano yesterday. It was just a "meh" show that had some laughs here and there with a TON of fan service. There's also a very creepy "sibling love" thing going on between the main male character and one of his sisters. It was alright considering I got it for dirt cheap.

I'll be watching Baccano! today, which should be a nice palette cleanser.

[quote name='cindersphere']I was wondering if anyone can recommend a manga for me. Looking for something like Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, SC of Lain, or Hell Girl. Something that is either horror or just plain weird.[/QUOTE]

Baccano! and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette.

[quote name='cindersphere']I was wondering if anyone can recommend a manga for me. Looking for something like Boogiepop, Paranoia Agent, SC of Lain, or Hell Girl. Something that is either horror or just plain weird.[/QUOTE]

I second Baccano! as well as Durarara!! (same author & studio). Also, Elfen Lied if you haven't seen it.

And idk if this fits the bill exactly, but Gungrave is amazing too.

I guess Funimation has stuff on Hulu so I'm re-watching Ergo Proxy with english dubs -- not half bad. I rarely buy movies, and never anime -- but someday I need to get the box set for this.

He was asking for manga though. I don't even know if Elfen Lied has a manga, much less if it's good for not. Show sucks though, and it's probably the only thing I will ever agree with kirin about.

[quote name='Bezerker']Anyone know if Monster is gone for good? Syfy took it off of their programming with only 5 weeks to go. Sure as hell doesnt seem like Viz plans on releasing the rest of the boxsets either.[/QUOTE]

They've been airing Monster on their sister network, Chiller. It's basically like Syfy, except it's all suspense/horror stuff. Their version of Ani-mondays airs Sunday night at 2-3a.m. est in the morning. They've been airing Monster & Tokko in a two hour timeslot. Syfy's supposedly airing episodes of Monster on the 21st & 28th.

*Edit- looked at Chiller's schedule & it's now gone from their schedule. Also looks like that network is getting rid of their version of Ani-Monday(it was mostly Monster, Tokko & Requiem from the Darkness).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Baccano! and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette.[/QUOTE]

I've already gotten through Baccano! and it was really good. I will look into Portrait de Petite Cossette though. From wiki description it looks interestin.

[quote name='the_punisher']I second Baccano! as well as Durarara!! (same author & studio). Also, Elfen Lied if you haven't seen it.

And idk if this fits the bill exactly, but Gungrave is amazing too.[/QUOTE]

Gungrave was okay, but Durarara!! looks pretty interesting.

Although I was looking for more bleak than this. Something kinda like Bokurano. It isn't a good manga/anime for me unless somebody goes completely off the deep end.

[quote name='Chronis']He was asking for manga though. I don't even know if Elfen Lied has a manga, much less if it's good for not. Show sucks though, and it's probably the only thing I will ever agree with kirin about.[/QUOTE]

Both are fine. Just usually read manga, however if there is a good anime I will usually watch it and buy it if I really like it.

I have the perfect recommendation for you: Alien Nine. Watch the anime first and then read the manga; it's much better to watch the anime first, since it doesn't cover the whole story. You can actually purchase the anime and the manga together as one set. It's not on sale anymore, but it's definitely worth the price. Here's the Right Stuf listing for it. There's also a sequel to the Alien Nine manga called Alien Nine Emulators, but it's quite rare. I recommend it if you like Alien Nine, but since it's rare, it's expensive. I had to pay 50 dollars for it — I know; I'm crazy. This isn't anything new.

Well, I managed to get through all of Baccano! today.

The characters were somewhat interesting (namely Isaac and Miria), music was solid, animation was nice and purdy, but for some reason the show never really pulled me in. I just couldn't quite get into it.

Also, it was a hell of a lot more violent than I thought it would be, which doesn't do much for me since I'm not into the ultra violence.

[quote name='Chronis']He was asking for manga though. I don't even know if Elfen Lied has a manga, much less if it's good for not. Show sucks though, and it's probably the only thing I will ever agree with kirin about.[/QUOTE]how?? elfen lied is one of the best anime I've ever watched

[quote name='darkslime']how?? elfen lied is one of the best anime I've ever watched[/QUOTE]

It's utter crap compared to the Manga; a LOT of stuff was left out.
The biggest thing is that there was an actual ending in the manga.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'm very sad for you right now.[/QUOTE]

I agree with darkslime :p

I mean, Princess Tutu is your favorite so I can see you not liking Elfen Lied, but it's a great show. I'm sure the manga is even better considering the anime's ending, but I really don't read manga so just like Berserk, I just have to ignore that.

i can say tutu is an interesting show, but doesn't quite accomplish what it sets out to do. it seriously could be 1/3rd of the length and contain every important detail and scene.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']For those of you that were talking about Monster, apparently SyFy will show the last 6 episodes in August.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that earlier too. Thank effing god.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']For those of you that were talking about Monster, apparently SyFy will show the last 6 episodes in August.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, Apparently i missed episodes 65-68 then.

[quote name='Bezerker']Hmm, Apparently i missed episodes 65-68 then.[/QUOTE]

No, you didn't. They'll be airing those in a couple weeks, on the 21st and the 28th.

[quote name='cindersphere']Anybody here read Uzumaki. I saw it today at my comic shop in town. Wondering if it is worth it to spend 18 bucks on the three volumes.[/QUOTE]

i used to read it serialized but then i lapsed in my subscription. it was a really creepy horror story and i was enjoying it. they even made a creepy movie out of it.

I need to get some new anime... I have the first Hunter X Hunter set, but that's really not doing it for me. I am saddened by this :(

But a few days ago, I did watch Baccano and freakin' loved it. I liked the characters, the darkness that pervaded pretty much every scene, the music, etc. Great stuff. I want something else like it, but ideally something that's out in R1-land (i.e.: not Durarara.) What should I get?

[quote name='dafoomie']The Inuyasha ending was good, sad that its over. Better than what I expected.[/QUOTE]
All series need an ending. I remember liking Inuyasha when it started airing in the US back in 2002, but the story progression eventually flatlined. I think I left off at the end of the Band of Seven arc... maybe I'll try to find the main story episodes after that so I can see the ending.

[quote name='lilman']All series need an ending. I remember liking Inuyasha when it started airing in the US back in 2002, but the story progression eventually flatlined. I think I left off at the end of the Band of Seven arc... maybe I'll try to find the main story episodes after that so I can see the ending.[/QUOTE]

Even the main story gets really drawn out and boring after the Band of Seven arc. It's pretty obvious that Rumiko Takahashi had *no* idea what to do next, and ended up spinning her wheels on bad ideas and useless new characters. Pity, since most of the first 50 or so episodes were really strong.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Even the main story gets really drawn out and boring after the Band of Seven arc. It's pretty obvious that Rumiko Takahashi had *no* idea what to do next, and ended up spinning her wheels on bad ideas and useless new characters. Pity, since most of the first 50 or so episodes were really strong.[/QUOTE]
The Shichinintai?

They were doing a lot of filler after that because they caught up to the manga, but the manga got pretty weak once they ended the series.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Even the main story gets really drawn out and boring after the Band of Seven arc. It's pretty obvious that Rumiko Takahashi had *no* idea what to do next, and ended up spinning her wheels on bad ideas and useless new characters. Pity, since most of the first 50 or so episodes were really strong.[/QUOTE]
The start of the series was great and hooked me in. The way the story was progressing later on I thought the series was never going to end so I stopped watching... who knew I was so close to finishing it (I watched up through episode 148 of 167). I'm still curious to watch the ending and Netflix has the series so I'll just pick up at disc 47 (episode 139) and watch from there.

It starts picking up where you left off, thats not a bad place to start. Once you get to Kanketsuhen its non stop, everything moves pretty fast and you won't want to put it down.

God, I remember watching this show before Bittorrent existed.

[quote name='dafoomie']It starts picking up where you left off, thats not a bad place to start. Once you get to Kanketsuhen its non stop, everything moves pretty fast and you won't want to put it down.[/QUOTE]

But it moves *too* fast in the first half, which is really annoying. Plus, most of it is just playing cleanup to all the dumb, unnecessary plot elements that were brought in later.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But it moves *too* fast in the first half, which is really annoying. Plus, most of it is just playing cleanup to all the dumb, unnecessary plot elements that were brought in later.[/QUOTE]
I would've liked a lot more than 26 episodes but the pace had to be fast if thats all they had to work with. That was probably the network's call.

I wouldn't call Kagura, Kanna, Kikyo, Kohaku, and Rin unnecessary.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']So... I just finished Koi Kaze, and... yeah. Now, excuse me while I take a shower even though I know I will never feel clean again.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing that means you didn't like it then?

[quote name='Bezerker']Incest usually isn't a highly regarded thing in America.[/QUOTE]

Incest is universally taboo, so I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. It seems as if you're implying that Koi Kaze isn't good because it focuses on a cultural taboo. There are plenty of other taboo acts used in fiction, such as murder, so by your method of deduction, fiction based on murder should be bad as well, right?

Koi Kaze isn't inherently bad because it's about incest; it's actually a pretty amazing show.

I finished reading Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms. The first thing I noticed about this book is that it's very well made. It's a hardcover manga, and the pages are of a very high quality; instead of being on the typical paper used in manga, it has a thicker and brighter paper that's more similar to the paper used for photographs. Not only is it well made, but it's an effecting story about the Hiroshima bombing and how it has affected multiple generations of people. There are three parts to the book. The first part, Town of Evening Calm, deals with a young lady, Minami, who is living her life ten years after the Hiroshima bombing; she lives and works near where the blast occurred, and it's about how she's unable to live a happy life, since she feels guilty for being a survivor. I won't spoil the rest, but the first part was the most effecting to me, especially the ending. The two part Country of Cherry Blossoms focuses on Nanami, who is Minami's niece. The first part deals with Nanami's innocence as a child, and the second part deals with Nanami as a jaded young woman. She eventually goes a journey that let's her connect with her childhood and family history.

It's only 11 dollars on Amazon. I definitely recommend people purchase it. It's a very touching story.

I also finished watching Bubblegum Crisis. It was pretty good. Bubblegum Crisis definitely takes some inspiration from Blade Runner, which I quite enjoyed, since Blade Runner is an amazing movie. It's pretty iconic even after more than 20 years since its creation; its story isn't entirely original anymore, but the Knight Sabers, the crime fighting girls in power suits, have an iconic image. Nene is probably my favorite Knight Saber, even though she's the least capable at physical combat, and Priss and Linna are probably tied for second. Sylia's definitely my least favorite, though she's not actually bad — she's just not as cool as the other three Knight Sabers. The music in Bubblegum Crisis is pretty awesome; it's a bunch of 80's Japanese rock and pop, and it sounds great. The first opening to Bubblegum Crisis, "There's a Hurricane Tonight," is probably the best song out of the bunch. Some parts of the show are a bit rough, but as it progresses, the show gets better and better. I think episodes seven and eight are probably the best episodes, but unfortunately the show ends with episode eight. Apparently it's because of a falling-out between production companies ARTMIC and Youmex. The show was already episodic in nature, but it felt like things were getting bigger and better with the last two episodes. I guess I'll have to fill this void with the sequels and spin-offs.

I definitely recommend Bubblegum Crisis for anyone who likes the old stuff and if you're a fan of science fiction like Blade Runner.

Just finished Haibane Renmei, really high quality stuff.

I think I'm going to try the Sky Crawlers movie next, maybe get the blu-ray off of amazon. Has anyone seen it?

Oldboy spoiler (only click if you've seen it):

Every time I hear the word incest now, I think of Oldboy. It creeps me the fuck out. That was one twisted movie.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Just finished Haibane Renmei, really high quality stuff.

I think I'm going to try the Sky Crawlers movie next, maybe get the blu-ray off of amazon. Has anyone seen it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Sky Crawlers is the worst animated movie I've ever seen, and one of the worst overall movies I've ever seen. It's slow paced, the characters and environment are dull, and other than the 2-3 minute dogfight, it's not worth watching at all.

It also seems to be a very love/hate movie (and I think you can guess where I stand).

Started watching Monster off the Comcast "On Demand". It's been a while since I found an anime can tolerate for more than 10 minutes. Well animated and good story.

bread's done
Back