Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='GhostShark']I'm 12 episodes into Soul Eater (Thank god for the FUNimation channel on Hulu) and I'm really like it. Smooth music and action scenes and Death the Kid and Black Star are hilarious.[/QUOTE]

If you like it now, just wait until the next 12 episodes, it get epic.

Just ordered Parts 3 & 4 from Rightstuf, will be finishing the series sometime in July apparently.

hmmm Soul Eater may be my next move after I'm done finishing this move to North Seattle.

still want to finish kino's journey but just been too busy.
there's a lot of Beck fans here, right? my wife kinda looks like maho and since she's considering maybe cosplaying her i figure we should watch the show.

Since someone asked about the SAVE boxes, what are the Anime Legends boxes like? Is it pretty much a brick pack? I'm thinking of picking up Lucky Star and True Tears from the DeepDiscount sale.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Since someone asked about the SAVE boxes, what are the Anime Legends boxes like? Is it pretty much a brick pack? I'm thinking of picking up Lucky Star and True Tears from the DeepDiscount sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Anime Legends releases used to be a brick, but more recently they've been just like Funimation's SAVE releases, the size of a single DVD case. Lucky Star is the latter for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='budsmoka']Any good anime that isn't a convoluted emosexual piece of shit?[/QUOTE]

kurtangle1iq.jpg

[quote name='ChibiJosh']So are the DVDs stacked on each other on a single spindle? Or are they actually separated?[/QUOTE]

Separated. Thank god it's not the former.

[quote name='budsmoka']So no help at all? I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni_Kenshin. Anything similar thats not a total weeaboo Kawaii fest?[/QUOTE]
Assuming you're actually serious... Flame of Recca, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter should be similar enough

I decided to start watching Evangelion again (partially because I just got the first remake movie on Blu-Ray). I left off at episode 10 a couple months ago because I was just bored with it, but this week I've watched 8-17 so far (went back a couple of episodes to remind myself what happened), and WOW, the series started getting really good right after episode 10. Go figure.

I'm starting to see why the entire anime industry is in love with Evangelion- it's actually getting awesome. There's no more Shinji whining, Asuka (while still very annoying at times) actually got some character development, and the Angel-of-the-Day is gone for now as they actually advance the story.

And, if what I heard is right, the ending is something to be experienced, so hopefully i'll have the series and two movies done in the next week or so.

Hopefully they can license Evangelion 2.22 soon, I'd rather watch the first two and then last two movies in one sitting, so at least i'm not waiting between every release. It's just like what i'm doing with Durarara!!, waiting for 2 episodes to air so I'm not left wanting more (even though I usually am anyway).

[quote name='the_punisher']I decided to start watching Evangelion again (partially because I just got the first remake movie on Blu-Ray). I left off at episode 10 a couple months ago because I was just bored with it, but this week I've watched 8-17 so far (went back a couple of episodes to remind myself what happened), and WOW, the series started getting really good right after episode 10. Go figure.

I'm starting to see why the entire anime industry is in love with Evangelion- it's actually getting awesome. There's no more Shinji whining, Asuka (while still very annoying at times) actually got some character development, and the Angel-of-the-Day is gone for now as they actually advance the story.

And, if what I heard is right, the ending is something to be experienced, so hopefully i'll have the series and two movies done in the next week or so.[/QUOTE]
Word of warning, when you watch the last two episodes of the tv series (25 & 26) you might be thinking "wtf is this"... but don't worry, the "End of Evangelion" movie picks up right after episode 24 of the tv series and provides a true ending.

So, I've been watching Digimon Adventure (season 1) subbed over the past few days, and I have to say it is pretty brilliant. I'm up to episode 42, the beginning of the Dark Masters arc, and it's been nothing but love.

[quote name='budsmoka']So no help at all? I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni_Kenshin. Anything similar thats not a total weeaboo Kawaii fest?[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling Eiken is right up your alley.

[quote name='lilman']Word of warning, when you watch the last two episodes of the tv series (25 & 26) you might be thinking "wtf is this"... but don't worry, the "End of Evangelion" movie picks up right after episode 24 of the tv series and provides a true ending.[/QUOTE]

What about Death and Rebirth?

Also, I heard Nana (and also Honey and Clover) is amazing, on the to-do list.

[quote name='the_punisher']What about Death and Rebirth?[/QUOTE]
It's basically just a recap of the series, if you haven't bought it yet I would say save your money and skip it. Otherwise watch it after you finish the tv series, and then watch End of Evangelion.

[quote name='lilman']It's basically just a recap of the series, if you haven't bought it yet I would say save your money and skip it. Otherwise watch it after you finish the tv series, and then watch End of Evangelion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Just finished the series.

I have never been more confused in my life.

Ever.

question-mark.jpg

[quote name='the_punisher']Thanks.

Just finished the series.

I have never been more confused in my life.

Ever.
[/QUOTE]
Did you watch End of Evangelion?

[quote name='lilman']Did you watch End of Evangelion?[/QUOTE]

Nope, Ill watch that soon. And then probably Death and Rebirth maybe later, it doesn't seem worth watching.

Still, my head just exploded.

I finished watching K-On this morning. I've been feeling rather down lately, and K-On was a great way to cheer me up. It's a light-hearted show about four girls in a high school music club. Most of the time the show is quite funny and charming, which was a joy to watch. Also, as I previously said, I watched K-On with the Animax English dub. After finishing the show, I think it's a great English dub. Sure there are some moments where the dialog was kind of awkward, or there were some moments where the voice actors were speaking when their character's mouth was either closed or wide-open, however, overall, I very much enjoyed the English dub that Animax produced. I think each voice fits their respective character, and the English dub does a great job of bringing out the fun and charm of the show.

If K-On is going to get licensed for a North America release, I would assume Sentai would be the licensor, so hopefully they license it sometime soon, since it wouldn't be out of place in their catalog, and I would like to have the ability to own the show, since I enjoyed it so much.

[quote name='the_punisher']Nope, Ill watch that soon. And then probably Death and Rebirth maybe later, it doesn't seem worth watching.

Still, my head just exploded.[/QUOTE]
Hehe, End of Evangelion will give you a better sense of closure for the series, but it has its own head exploding moments.

[quote name='Razzuel']I finished watching K-On this morning. I've been feeling rather down lately, and K-On was a great way to cheer me up.[/QUOTE]
I love light-hearted shows like that. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a US release.

[quote name='budsmoka']So no help at all? I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni_Kenshin. Anything similar thats not a total weeaboo Kawaii fest?[/QUOTE]i'd recommend lucky star, it is an anime with lots of fighting and an amazing storyline that is set in space

also to the guy that watched k-on!, did you watch season 2 also? i finished whats out now (ep 8 or 9 i think) that and didn't think it was as good as the original

I have finally caught up in reading Yotsuba and Future Diary.

I love Yotsuba. It's consistently hilarious, cute, and charming. Before I started reading it, I was worried that I might not find it as good as other people claim, since I wasn't in love with Azumanga Daioh when I watched it (the anime is based off of a manga by the same author as Yotsuba). However, it is as good as everyone claims. My favorite volume is probably volume five, and that's because of Yanda's first appearance; the interaction between Yanda and Yotsuba was extremely funny. Also, it's a shame that volume nine isn't being released until December.

I don't have as much praise for Future Diary, unfortunately. The art is fantastic, and it's generally good at being a "page-turner," but everything else is a mess. The story and its writing isn't entirely creative, and there are an abundance of illogical events and circumstances — the time lapses don't help with that either. The characters and how they're portrayed is annoying; there are so many "twists and turns" that you begin to expect what should be unexpected, such as "Sure this character is nice now, but we all really know they're going to switch from good to evil to good to evil a couple times throughout the story." Also, there's quite a few things in the manga that are aggravatingly disingenuous.

I don't recommend Future Diary, and now I feel like I'm stuck with it, since I'm so far into it. It's not good, but I don't want to just quit. However, I absolutely recommend Yotsuba!

[quote name='darkslime']also to the guy that watched k-on!, did you watch season 2 also? i finished whats out now (ep 8 or 9 i think) that and didn't think it was as good as the original[/QUOTE]

Nope, I have not started watching season two yet.

[quote name='darkslime']i'd recommend lucky star, it is an anime with lots of fighting and an amazing storyline that is set in space

also to the guy that watched k-on!, did you watch season 2 also? i finished whats out now (ep 8 or 9 i think) that and didn't think it was as good as the original[/QUOTE]

Checked it out and all the videos were total kawaii fan service garbage.

[quote name='budsmoka']Checked it out and all the videos were total kawaii fan service garbage.[/QUOTE]

How about Cowboy Bebop, Gankutsuou, Outlaw Star, Witch Hunter Robin, Escaflowne, or Darker Than Black?

[quote name='budsmoka']Checked it out and all the videos were total kawaii fan service garbage.[/QUOTE]
*looks up kawaii*
Lucky Star has lots of cuteness but it doesn't have much fan service. Kinda mean to call it garbage when no one has commented on your favorite shows being Yu Yu Hakusho and Kenshin (they're not bad shows, but they are aimed more at young boys)...

Someone must have suggested something you would like by now. If you still can't find something from the recommendations in this thread then give up on anime.

[quote name='lilman']I had to look up weeaboo[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilman']*looks up kawaii*[/QUOTE]
If you seriously had to look these up, I'm not sure you belong in this thread. :lol:

I'm sure your post has caused him to look up "Chibi" too.

I watched the first 26 eps of Soul Eater. This show is what Bleach should have been. Much more to the point, and the comedy actually has made me laugh a couple times, which is something Bleach has not done. I'm currently awaiting part 3 of the dvd's (its way too hard to read subs and work at the same time, otherwise id just get the fansubs).

While I wait for the dvds to come in, I started El Cazador De La Bruja. Seems like a Trigun-esque show with female main characters. I've only watched the 1st ep so far, so I cant really judge if its good or not, but it didnt make me want to claw out my eyes like Princess Tutu did (and hell, I made it through 19 eps of that crap before I gave up)

[quote name='Razzuel']I have finally caught up in reading Yotsuba and Future Diary.

I love Yotsuba. It's consistently hilarious, cute, and charming. Before I started reading it, I was worried that I might not find it as good as other people claim, since I wasn't in love with Azumanga Daioh when I watched it (the anime is based off of a manga by the same author as Yotsuba). However, it is as good as everyone claims. My favorite volume is probably volume five, and that's because of Yanda's first appearance; the interaction between Yanda and Yotsuba was extremely funny. Also, it's a shame that volume nine isn't being released until December.

I don't have as much praise for Future Diary, unfortunately. The art is fantastic, and it's generally good at being a "page-turner," but everything else is a mess. The story and its writing isn't entirely creative, and there are an abundance of illogical events and circumstances — the time lapses don't help with that either. The characters and how they're portrayed is annoying; there are so many "twists and turns" that you begin to expect what should be unexpected, such as "Sure this character is nice now, but we all really know they're going to switch from good to evil to good to evil a couple times throughout the story." Also, there's quite a few things in the manga that are aggravatingly disingenuous.

I don't recommend Future Diary, and now I feel like I'm stuck with it, since I'm so far into it. It's not good, but I don't want to just quit. However, I absolutely recommend Yotsuba!

Nope, I have not started watching season two yet.[/QUOTE]honestly i couldn't stand watching or reading azumanga diaoh or yotsuba, they're just boring, and this is coming from someone who can sit through lucky star, k-on and kannagi, stuff like that.

i just started watching the first episode of genshiken, and its ok, but i'm not sure if i'm gonna continue. haven't really watched any anime since finished welcome to the nhk (the best anime only second to elfen lied) a few months ago, and the second season of k-on and have no idea what now.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']If you seriously had to look these up, I'm not sure you belong in this thread. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm sure your post has caused him to look up "Chibi" too.[/QUOTE]
*looks up elitist*

[quote name='darkslime']honestly i couldn't stand watching or reading azumanga diaoh or yotsuba, they're just boring, and this is coming from someone who can sit through lucky star, k-on and kannagi, stuff like that.[/QUOTE]
I didn't like Azumanga either but loved Lucky Star.

[quote name='darkslime']i just started watching the first episode of genshiken, and its ok, but i'm not sure if i'm gonna continue. haven't really watched any anime since finished welcome to the nhk (the best anime only second to elfen lied) a few months ago, and the second season of k-on and have no idea what now.[/QUOTE]
Give Genshiken another episode or two... it's a good series. If you still don't like it then stop watching as the rest of the series is similar to the first few episodes.

*looked up kawaii and chibi*
:cry:

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm sure your post has caused him to look up "Chibi" too.

I watched the first 26 eps of Soul Eater. This show is what Bleach should have been. Much more to the point, and the comedy actually has made me laugh a couple times, which is something Bleach has not done. I'm currently awaiting part 3 of the dvd's (its way too hard to read subs and work at the same time, otherwise id just get the fansubs).

While I wait for the dvds to come in, I started El Cazador De La Bruja. Seems like a Trigun-esque show with female main characters. I've only watched the 1st ep so far, so I cant really judge if its good or not, but it didnt make me want to claw out my eyes like Princess Tutu did (and hell, I made it through 19 eps of that crap before I gave up)[/QUOTE]

I only saw the first episode of Bleach, wasn't a big fan, but I don't think it's fair to compare it to soul Eater. Soul Eater:

-Is made by Bones (which is enough reason to be awesome)
-Has a much larger budget
-Doesn't need filler

I'm loving Soul eater so far (also waiting for Part 3), and i may've asked this before, but you watch anime at work?

Awesome.

[quote name='Razzuel']If K-On is going to get licensed for a North America release, I would assume Sentai would be the licensor, so hopefully they license it sometime soon, since it wouldn't be out of place in their catalog, and I would like to have the ability to own the show, since I enjoyed it so much.[/QUOTE]

I forgot where or when I heard this, but I'm pretty sure the point still stands. A show like K-On won't get licensed in America because it's already been overexposed to it's targetted audience. Considering the state of the anime industry, a majority of people who want to see it have already seen it. Out of that majority, another majority probably won't be willing to buy a show they've already seen. So while everything I've heard about the show seems to be positive, licensors are viewing this as too old to make the return they'd want on it.

As a side note, I believe "moé" is the term budsmoka was looking for instead of fan service. I learned that word from No More Heroes! :) Thank, Travis Touchdown!

[quote name='Chronis']I forgot where or when I heard this, but I'm pretty sure the point still stands. A show like K-On won't get licensed in America because it's already been overexposed to it's targetted audience. Considering the state of the anime industry, a majority of people who want to see it have already seen it. Out of that majority, another majority probably won't be willing to buy a show they've already seen. So while everything I've heard about the show seems to be positive, licensors are viewing this as too old to make the return they'd want on it.

As a side note, I believe "moé" is the term budsmoka was looking for instead of fan service. I learned that word from No More Heroes! :) Thank, Travis Touchdown![/QUOTE]

Or you could use that word to describe any anime Key has made. Ever.

+1 for the NMH reference though

i wasn't a fan of lucky star. they spent like 4+ minutes talking about cakes or something and i didn't understand why anyone thought it was funny. then the guile thing happened but i already saw that in a gif before i watched the show so there was no surprise there. none of my friends that watched it with me wanted to see anymore either so we just moved on. maybe it gets really brilliant later or something, but azumanga is one of my fav shows ever though i can't explain why exactly.

i really love kenshin and yuyu and there's been plenty of good shonen anime suggestions in the same vein. though they're not that similar deathnote and code geass are also fairly manly shows with no kawaii garbage.

all the praise for soul eater has got me pumped to check that out after i finish my seattle move. still need to finish kino's journey as well (which is pretty great thus far).

[quote name='Chronis']I forgot where or when I heard this, but I'm pretty sure the point still stands. A show like K-On won't get licensed in America because it's already been overexposed to it's targetted audience. Considering the state of the anime industry, a majority of people who want to see it have already seen it. Out of that majority, another majority probably won't be willing to buy a show they've already seen. So while everything I've heard about the show seems to be positive, licensors are viewing this as too old to make the return they'd want on it.[/QUOTE]

No offense to you, but that analysis is bullshit. Not only do you fail to present any supporting evidence, but how are other popular shows exempt from this analysis. What about other titles from Sentai's catalog, such as Maria Holic, Gintama, or Clannad? Or what about some of Funimation's titles, such as Strike Witches, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, or Soul Eater. Are you basing this completely on popularity? How can you effectively measure the potential consumer base for a particular show? How do you know that most of K-On's target audience has watched the show, and how is K-On different from other shows in this regard? Basically, what aspects of K-On merit it as a "bad license"? It's not too old either. K-On originally aired in 2009. That's quite new, and there's still quite a bit of time for someone to license it before you could assuredly say it's exempt from being licensed; but even then there are exceptions: look at Sentai's license of Living for the Day After Tomorrow. That show originally aired in 2006, and Sentai released it on DVD on April 13, 2010. Furthermore, I view myself as being a part of K-On's targeted audience, but I was never interested in watching the fansubs, since I don't like how fansubs are generally translated, and I don't support illegal activities, however, when I heard about K-On being dubbed in English by Animax, I was extremely intrigued. I thought it was fascinating that K-On was being dubbed in English, regardless of its origin — I never thought K-On would be dubbed in English, which is similar to how I thought Clannad would never be dubbed in English. I merely wanted to briefly experience K-On's English dub to satisfy my curiosity, but surprisingly enough, I quite enjoyed its English dub, as well as the show itself, and consequently I continued watching K-On in English. To summarize, if K-On was never dubbed in English by Animax, I would have either waited for it to be released in North America or I would have never watched it. Also, I would like to add that I fully intend to purchase K-On if it gets released in North America.

Addendum: this is a recent discovery, but it helps my argument. Right Stuf has a listing for the first K-On manga, which is being published by Yen Press. I think Yen Press's license of the K-On manga is rather telling that K-On as a brand is not poisoned, as you seemingly imply. Also, keep in mind that there is an exorbitant amount of manga piracy on the Internet; it's not exclusive to anime.

[quote name='the_punisher']Or you could use that word to describe any anime Key has made. Ever.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure you and some other people even understand what moe means. From my perspective, it seems like you are using it to describe an art style, which is rather irksome — not only because it's inaccurate, but because it always seems like people are using it in a derogatory sense. Why aren't you describing Kanon as a comedy and a drama? What benefit do you gain from using the term moe in describing Kanon? It's not even an English word, for Christ's sake.

Also, Key doesn't produce anime; Key produces visual novels. Maybe you meant to say Kyoto Animation; they produced the anime adaptions of some of Key's visual novels.

@Razzuel

Wow, two burns in a row.

As for Key (and yes, I usually associate Key = Kyoto Animation), just because I call it moe, I don't mean it in a bad way. It depicts girls as overly cute, but the fact of the matter is that Kanon is a great comedy/drama show, and I would recommend it in a ny type of genre.

Air, eh, disappointing but fun. Clannad, waiting on the dub to be released, but I've heard good things.

I want to start watching One Piece from the beginning. I've always intrested in the series but it's a bit daunting since it's such a long running series. I've been out of the Anime/Manga loop for a while now so I'm not really sure how to tackle this. Can anyone recommend a cheap way to watch the series. I'd prefer to watch it from my TV if possible. I wouldn't mind buying DVDs if they're available but I don't want to spend too much on it. Also I'm not sure how long the series is, but I'm sure it's several hundred episodes in already.

Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='the_punisher']As for Key (and yes, I usually associate Key = Kyoto Animation), just because I call it moe, I don't mean it in a bad way. It depicts girls as overly cute, but the fact of the matter is that Kanon is a great comedy/drama show, and I would recommend it in a ny type of genre.

Air, eh, disappointing but fun. Clannad, waiting on the dub to be released, but I've heard good things.[/QUOTE]

Kyoto Animation has done a lot more than just adaptions of visual novels from Key, such as Fumoffu, The Second Raid, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and K-On.

But that's not really what moe means. From all of the arguments and interviews that I've read or heard, I've come to understand moe as being like a fetish, such as "something that makes your heart race," and as of late, moe is being used to refer to a subset of its original meaning, such as describing shows like K-On and Moon Phase because of the nature and apperance of their characters.

I would classify K-On as being a show about high school girls being cute, charming, and silly, while actively being in a music club. What the hell is wrong with that?

Also, I wouldn't recommend Clannad's English dub. Only a handful of the characters sound right to me, such as Hilary Haag as Fuko, Brittney Karbowski as Ryou, and Chris Hutchison as Naoyuki; none of the other voices match their character's personality. Also, there are some parts of the show left either untranslated or un-localized, and the voice actors mispronounce names exorbitantly. The English version just doesn't seem well-written nor well-directed.

[quote name='Rodimus']I want to start watching One Piece from the beginning. I've always intrested in the series but it's a bit daunting since it's such a long running series. I've been out of the Anime/Manga loop for a while now so I'm not really sure how to tackle this. Can anyone recommend a cheap way to watch the series. I'd prefer to watch it from my TV if possible. I wouldn't mind buying DVDs if they're available but I don't want to spend too much on it. Also I'm not sure how long the series is, but I'm sure it's several hundred episodes in already.

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you've got a long way to go.

One Piece is a fantastic show though (if you can get past the filler arcs). The DVD sets are quite overpriced, unfortunately. I've got the first three and have since stopped collecting as I refuse to pay more than $20 per set and I haven't seen Season 1 Part 4 drop below $23.

Of course, since I type that Season 1 Part 4 is $17 on Amazon currently, plus Season 2 Parts 1 and 2 are under $20.

Hmm....

[quote name='Rodimus']Can anyone recommend a cheap way to watch the series.[/QUOTE]the only way to cheaply watch anime is to torrent it or stream it. the prices they charge for it is a rip off.

and i guess i'll watch a few more eps of genshiken and see if i like it more.

[quote name='thelonepig'](if you can get past the filler arcs)[/QUOTE]
Get past? Filler arcs are just as good as the regular stuff, at least when its filler set in the One Piece world, not that feudal japan stuff.

It works out better in One Piece moreso than other shows because at least towards the start they visit a wide variety of locales, so having a filler where they visit another locale is just like having extra adventure!

yeah darkslime has a point 500 eps of one piece is gonna be a pretty major $$$ investment outside of the torrents. that's too bad because it's probably the best shonen anime ever made.

i really liked genshiken and found myself racing through both seasons in no time. it felt a bit like welcome to the nhk which i super-liked as well.

bread's done
Back