Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

hello guys/gals havent posted in a while been kinda busy, for what im watching now its quite a bit 

PAqUxYB.png

watching everything except Ushio Tora,Gintama,Naruto and Divine Gate. 

still watching Monster trying to finish it soon to watch Kids on a Slope 

Erased is so good. Satoru's mom is awesome.

Did you enjoy it?

You want another long anime or something shorter? I know you've watched a lot of what we suggested.
Watched the original FMA, and yes, enjoyed Brotherhood. And god yes, I want something shorter this time. 12-24 MAX.

Come back with a few potential anime you're interested in.

There's a few good shows going on now that are ending soon this season. Also, you into sports anime?

Watched the original FMA, and yes, enjoyed Brotherhood. And god yes, I want something shorter this time. 12-24 MAX.
have you made a MAL yet? if not do that so we can easily see what you have watched and what you enjoyed and didn't like as it's far easier to recommend stuff to people when you know what they like as people have different tastes.

Come back with a few potential anime you're interested in.

There's a few good shows going on now that are ending soon this season. Also, you into sports anime?
have you made a MAL yet? if not do that so we can easily see what you have watched and what you enjoyed and didn't like as it's far easier to recommend stuff to people when you know what they like as people have different tastes.
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SynGamer?status=6

I plan on watching Erased as soon as it finishes airing, but until then...this is what I have on my list so far.

From what I've seen:

Barakamon - I totally recommend it, but it is like 75 episodes long. Great show to binge on.

Golden Time - I liked this one. I like the fact that the characters are college students and not high schoolers. Even though they act like high schoolers most the time. It does get a little ridiculous at times.

Hyouka - I haven't finished it yet but I always hear praise for it. I don't hate it but I do find it a little boring. I'll finish it one day..

Shirobako - This was a slow burn but it had a great pay off. I don't think I really got into it until ep. 8 or 9. There's a lot of characters to keep track of which confused me at times. Excellent ending

From what I've seen:

Barakamon - I totally recommend it, but it is like 75 episodes long. Great show to binge on.

Golden Time - I liked this one. I like the fact that the characters are college students and not high schoolers. Even though they act like high schoolers most the time. It does get a little ridiculous at times.

Hyouka - I haven't finished it yet but I always hear praise for it. I don't hate it but I do find it a little boring. I'll finish it one day..

Shirobako - This was a slow burn but it had a great pay off. I don't think I really got into it until ep. 8 or 9. There's a lot of characters to keep track of which confused me at times. Excellent ending
Based on the above feedback, I think I'll give Golden Time a try. Now that I'm an adult (closing in on 30) I prefer college settings if possible. I don't mind HS settings if the story and characters are good, but most of it seems to be fan service these days. Will give Golden Time a try and report back :D

I hope it goes without saying, but I appreciate and am open to suggestions :D

Based on the above feedback, I think I'll give Golden Time a try. Now that I'm an adult (closing in on 30) I prefer college settings if possible. I don't mind HS settings if the story and characters are good, but most of it seems to be fan service these days. Will give Golden Time a try and report back :D

I hope it goes without saying, but I appreciate and am open to suggestions :D
if you enjoyed Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo there is a decent chance you will like golden time, and a really good chance you will like Toradora (both toradora and golden time are from the same creator, toradora is generally regarded as the better show so I would start with golden time. I enjoyed both of them but golden time has some major pacing issues/ plot issues from time to time)

if you enjoyed the combination of drama and music beck had and wouldn't mind it being a little more romance focused Nana is a great show.

with silver spoon if you wish it focused a bit more on the science and don't mind if it gets really weird at times Moyashimon is a fun watch.

rodimus does have barakamon confused with bakuman though. barakamon is a good follow up to usagi drop. Bakuman is the 75 episode one that will be worth your time later as it's a great show about creating manga from the creators of death note.

Last edited by a moderator:
rodimus does have barakamon confused with bakuman though. barakamon is a good follow up to usagi drop. Bakuman is the 75 episode one that will be worth your time later as it's a great show about creating manga from the creators of death note.
Opps, my bad. But still Barakamon is good. My favorite on your list too. How could I get that mixed up?

How did I not know about Skip Beat? That looks really interesting. I'll check it out today. Thanks for the recommendation.
because it is the poster child for overlooked great anime lol.

most of the first episode is pretty generic shojo, but it's all set up for the end of the episode. From there on it works on being a character driven comedy with a secondary focus on romance instead of having a strong focus on romance.

I guess you don't frequent the Anime Deals thread. The last 2-3 pages have been almost nothing but Skip Beat.
Nope. I might have visited it once or twice. I'm not much of an anime buyer.

Watched the first episode during my break. It's okay, I'll watch more later tonight. Not a fan of the art style. I don't really get Kyoko's character. In just one episode she's all over the place.

I'm definitely looking forward to Skip Beat! more than either the Escaflowne or Riding Bean Kickstarters... I pledged the $150 tier for Skip Beat, and I really really hope it can make it's goal, but it's gonna be a challenge when it's only open to US and Canada backers - and the fact that it's on Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter isn't gonna help at all...  

@Rodimus - keep watching - it gets really good, give it a few episodes... My only complaint is the ending - we need a second season for sure... 

Nope. I might have visited it once or twice. I'm not much of an anime buyer.

Watched the first episode during my break. It's okay, I'll watch more later tonight. Not a fan of the art style. I don't really get Kyoko's character. In just one episode she's all over the place.
her character is a lot more defined after the first episode. she lacks a real personality in the first episode since the point of the series isn't about her before the big event at the end it's about her after that.

After watching a few more episodes I get her now. She's just kinda bumbling along.

Is Kyoko supposed to be pretty? In anime/manga you can draw the most generic character and portray them as pretty/handsome. So i'm confused if she's an attractive person or unattractive with endearing faults.

All this MAL talk made me make my list. It took a few days to compile too, so much anime. I'm sure I missed some shows since it's really hard to remember everything I watched (I started at Jan 2000 on anidb's calendar and marched forward). I also don't like that I can't do 0.5 points on the rating scale. I feel like I short-changed or overrated a few by that amount because I don't have the half point. Also, for any long show like Bleach with shit tons of filler I rated based on canon material only. If I added filler to my rating....yeah, bad news. Anyways, if anyone spies something missing that I haven't watched would love a suggestion or two. Rodimus I'm going to browse your list as well...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/starkillr

Edit: Also, to me, 5/6 is ok/fine anime that's enjoyable to watch but nothing to write home about.

After watching a few more episodes I get her now. She's just kinda bumbling along.

Is Kyoko supposed to be pretty? In anime/manga you can draw the most generic character and portray them as pretty/handsome. So i'm confused if she's an attractive person or unattractive with endearing faults.
She's definitely bumbling along for a while and slowly finds her own way. I think that makes her pretty easy to relate to since if you made her decision you'd be in the same bumbling along situation lol. At least I would be. I also don't know about the attractive part either. I just take her at face value as a normal human being.

I finally made a MAL. Here's my "to watch" list. Any suggestions

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rodimus?status=6
There are definitely some we are close on and some we are not. I suspect there's something that turns you off from certain types of anime that I tolerate more. You should try the Pet Girl of Sakurasou. I would also recommend Clannad if you're ok with shows that have a sad twist to them, particularly season 2. It actually starts off more as a comedy/slice of life show if memory serves. I need to re-watch. I also always recommend Code Geass to anyone who hasn't seen it. I think it's the best anime I've ever seen period.

I checked out your list too. You got a lot under your belt. I did watch Pet Girl of Sakuraso. I forgot to put it down. But yeah, I can see we're similar on most but way off on a few.

Barakamon, Baccano and Assassiantion Classroom should be on top of your list. AssClass is going to get real good soon apparently. That's what I was told from someone reading the manga. Working!!! is another fun show. Season 2 wasn't that great but this final season wraps things up nice.

I'll put Clanned on my list since you ranked it so high. I'll give it a shot.

I checked out your list too. You got a lot under your belt. I did watch Pet Girl of Sakuraso. I forgot to put it down. But yeah, I can see we're similar on most but way off on a few.

Barakamon, Baccano and Assassiantion Classroom should be on top of your list. AssClass is going to get real good soon apparently. That's what I was told from someone reading the manga. Working!!! is another fun show. Season 2 wasn't that great but this final season wraps things up nice.

I'll put Clanned on my list since you ranked it so high. I'll give it a shot.
I dropped Working after Season 2...it wasn't great and didn't get me excited for another season. I am going to give S3 a shot though and see if it pulls me in at all. I usually don't rate seasons on their own merits and try to do a blended average of the show in it's entirety. It's easier for me to think that way.

I dropped Working after Season 2...it wasn't great and didn't get me excited for another season. I am going to give S3 a shot though and see if it pulls me in at all. I usually don't rate seasons on their own merits and try to do a blended average of the show in it's entirety. It's easier for me to think that way.
Yup, season 2 dragged. It was the same old jokes being done over and over. Also there was no real progression with the main plot. But season 3 wraps things up and believe it or not Takanashi doesn't get punched by Inami.

this is gonna sound weird so bare with me.

She is in general a plain girl, but she also has a near perfect body structure

the end result is when she is just around with little to no make up most people won't take notice of her, but once she has proper make up done it's very easy to transform her into someone else whether that person is a beauty or a horror.

so yeah hopefully that makes sense. maybe... average looking but cleans up super nicely would be a better way to put it lol.

good to see everyone making MAL accounts, easier to recommend an anime or received them.

i personally dont like to rate anime,  but i might switch my hummingbird account to mal in the feature since everyone on it. and we can add each other to friend list  

I rate because it gives a better idea of what I like and don't like. But my ratings are loose and not to a science of any sort.

I'm down for starting a friend list.

I rate because it gives a better idea of what I like and don't like. But my ratings are loose and not to a science of any sort.

I'm down for starting a friend list.
yup a lot of my ratings are just quick what do I feel instead of thinking about it lol.

basically 9-10 are about the same thing, shows I really enjoyed

7-8 are shows I think are good

5-6 are shows that are watchable

below that are things I don't consider watchable :p

Yeah, I don't have many completed that are below 5's because I'll probably drop them if they're that bad. School Days was an exception. It was more like a experience I put myself through just so I knew what people were talking about. Flowers of Evil was another one I sat through because I was intruiged at first but it just kept getting dumber and dumber.

Yeah, I don't have many completed that are below 5's because I'll probably drop them if they're that bad. School Days was an exception. It was more like a experience I put myself through just so I knew what people were talking about. Flowers of Evil was another one I sat through because I was intruiged at first but it just kept getting dumber and dumber.
I have a few lemons I watched all the way through. They are the ones that I thought "It has to get better...right?" and they never did and I felt dumb later. Now I'm a little more ruthless when it looks like things aren't going to change and I'm dropping more quickly.

yup a lot of my ratings are just quick what do I feel instead of thinking about it lol.

basically 9-10 are about the same thing, shows I really enjoyed

7-8 are shows I think are good

5-6 are shows that are watchable

below that are things I don't consider watchable :p
That's how I do it as well. I don't know how to do the friend's list thing, but happy to participate. If I have time I'll noodle around looking for it.

this is gonna sound weird so bare with me.
She is in general a plain girl, but she also has a near perfect body structure
the end result is when she is just around with little to no make up most people won't take notice of her, but once she has proper make up done it's very easy to transform her into someone else whether that person is a beauty or a horror.

so yeah hopefully that makes sense. maybe... average looking but cleans up super nicely would be a better way to put it lol.
Ah, You're referring to the tea ceremony scene, when they get her all "fixed up"... she definitely looked really good then...

I'm pretty damn picky about anime because of how ridiculous a lot of it can be. Sone really dark shit will be going down and then all of a sudden some silly shut like a goofy fave or someone getting made and their head blowing up to 3 times its size will ruin the vibe. However, I've recently found that some animes are pretty badass. I watched all of Samurai Champloo, and a buddy and I are gonna watch Cowboy Bebop while he's back in town. Attack on Titan got me back into anime in the first place (as a kid it was Pokémon and Dragonball Z) and I'm anxious for the 2nd season of it, such a great show. I've currently been watching Fullmetal Alchemist, that's a damn depressing show.

I'm pretty damn picky about anime because of how ridiculous a lot of it can be. Sone really dark shit will be going down and then all of a sudden some silly shut like a goofy fave or someone getting made and their head blowing up to 3 times its size will ruin the vibe. However, I've recently found that some animes are pretty badass. I watched all of Samurai Champloo, and a buddy and I are gonna watch Cowboy Bebop while he's back in town. Attack on Titan got me back into anime in the first place (as a kid it was Pokémon and Dragonball Z) and I'm anxious for the 2nd season of it, such a great show. I've currently been watching Fullmetal Alchemist, that's a damn depressing show.
FMA is particularly dark in the original one. The second one isn't quite as dark. Which anime have you seen recently that you thought was goofy or not what you wanted? Will help guide you to something you might like.

bread's done
Back