Ar Tonelico preorder with bonus at NISA

[quote name='Puffa469']I wouldnt say they are morons. Rogue Galaxy has much more 'mass mareket' appeal than a 2D niche rpg like AT.

Also, many people have compared AT to Altelier Iris and AI2. Well Ar Tonelico is $50, and Altelier Iris 2 is $10 new at TRU.[/quote]

Well, I would not be surprise if AT would be as low as $10 during the holidays next year or so - Since, TRU is currently selling AT.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2571263&cp

&&
with GCO - 49.99 - $10 = $39.99 +ship/tax....
Too bad, the site is claiming to to have anymore in stock.

[quote name='CriscoKidd']It's a strat rpg. There are no control concerns for a strat rpg.[/QUOTE]
Isn't it straight turn-based? And I've heard that Atelier Iris had jumping control issues, and that was an RPG.

[quote name='pete5883']Isn't it straight turn-based? And I've heard that Atelier Iris had jumping control issues, and that was an RPG.[/QUOTE]
It's turn-based. I don't have a problem with the controls. While you can jump, it's not like the game has platforming or bottomless pits. I only think it's in there for the hell of it.

[quote name='willardhaven']Why is the bonus set going for 130 on Ebay? Isn't the soundtrack abridged?[/quote]
I'm assuming those are the people who have to have the soundtrack, and missed the signups for pre-orders and didn't pick up one while they were in the online store. The soundtrack has approximately half of the song count from the original 2-Disc OST, so you don't lose too much (assuming the ones cut were the less desireable ones). I don't know how much the actual JP OST goes for, but that could be a factor.

You could probably replace the parts where jumping is required with stairs, as it's mainly for asthetics (from what I've seen in Atelier Iris 1 and Ar Tonelico). You have a good amount of leeway for jumps, so unless you start getting impatient and start jumping at random (which I've done on a few occasions), you shouldn't have any problems.

Been playing for a little less than an hour. So far it's pretty much exactly like the Atelier Iris games, which is fine by me since those games kick ass.

It gets a lot better once you start diving and all the gameplay options open up. Rogue Galaxy, and everything else, is just collecting dust while I play this.

Finally got to play today, but didn't get too far. Very enjoyable, but I started to nod off while in the second forest and decided to quit for the night.

Getting old sucks.

[quote name='willardhaven']Why is the bonus set going for 130 on Ebay? Isn't the soundtrack abridged?[/quote]

I dunno makes me want to sell mine though and just go pick up a copy locally. the soundtrack doesnt mean much to me anyways.

Yea same here, I might consider selling all the stuff and picking up a copy at Fry's while it's still discounted a bit., IF it's the premium pack.

Gotta go check it out ;)

[quote name='Layd Dly']I dunno makes me want to sell mine though and just go pick up a copy locally. the soundtrack doesnt mean much to me anyways.[/quote]

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This game is freaking sweet, I'm just dumbfounded by the fact that the graphics are a lot worse than the AI games.[/quote]
Overall, I haven't really noticed a difference in graphical quality (haven't played AI in a while though). It does have a few spots where it becomes pixelated and/or grainy, usually during the short "anime" cutscenes and location introductions, which is quite odd. You'd think they would have noticed this and have cleaned it up before release, but it's relatively minor.

Edit: After playing it a little, I do notice the grain throughout the level. I guess I didn't notice it earlier, or it isn't as prevalent early in the game.

I'm about 16 hours in and in Phase 2. At the end of Phase 1
I chose Aurica. She's way cooler than Misha!
I'm guessing it would be pretty different had I gone the other route.

Oh and Aurica's level 6 cosmosphere, best level ever XD

I just like her better T.T She's so cute and shy. The only thing is that they're piling the tragedy onto her a bit thick. At this point I'm expecting to learn about how every pet she's owned has been hit by a truck, driven by her drunk father, in front of her eyes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This might be of interest to some people:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/rpg/warning-ar-tonelico-on-the-ps3-235750.php
Basically: Don't play this on PS3.

Also, my thing with the graphics is the backgrounds are a lot muddier and of lower quality than AI's. I just finished playing AI2 a couple months ago so I remember pretty clearly.[/quote]

Hmm, how does it look on the PS2 component vs. composite/S-Video?

I've heard some games look better with composite instead of component such as the new FF XII.

Sounded odd to me o_O.

Luckily, I'm never getting rid of my PS2, it's too valuable ^^. Plays domestic and imports, back-ups for PS2 and PS1.

I use the regular old cables that come packed with the PS2.

But sometimes, I clean the dust off my tv screen, and its like I switched to Component! ;)

Anyone know if this game will show up at best buy? Wanetd to use that 10 off coupon but bb.com is now saying it wont be out until march 6th? Even frys says its not out yet.

What?

It's already in the Fry's Ads. Figured that meant it was already out on the sales floor o_O. I'll swing by my local Fry's and check it out. I've been meaning to do that but I never find time >.>

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Hmm, how does it look on the PS2 component vs. composite/S-Video?
[/quote]

I've been playing this through S-video and to be honest, it's not that big of a deal. The text is definitely a lot clearer. The game isn't really known for its graphical showiness so everything else looks pretty standard. The dialog scenes are pretty sharp, but those are just still frames. I think the exploration and fighting scenes would look pretty much the same as composite. wait actually, the fighting sprites might look worse in S-video because it's easier to see the choppy battle animations and pixelation.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Hmm, how does it look on the PS2 component vs. composite/S-Video?[/quote]

I have my PS2 hooked up via component to a small HDTV, and based on nakedsushi's and Dead of Knight's observations, I assume it's about the same.

I don't know if I've become a jaded gamer or what. But I'm just not having much fun with Ar tonelico. Everything is there, and I love Misha... But I just feel like I'm not having any fun. Every battle is the damn same. Power up with Misha or Aurica and have your fighters exchange piddly blows with the enemy until your percentage is high enough and kill everything off with one blow. There's a ton of spell variety but all you really need is the free one and sometimes the healing one. The dive aspect is intriguing but it's not a real "dating" system at all and it shouldn't have been advertised as such. Thousand Arms came out years ago and had a way deeper and better dating aspect in an RPG. The story is also slower than molasses. Plus the creation system feels tacked on more than anything else and is just a joke compared to the Atelier Iris games or hell any other game that lets you make your own shit. Add in graphics that are a lot worse than either of the much older AI games and I'm WTFing all over the place.

PS: I'm 14 hrs in.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I don't know if I've become a jaded gamer or what.[/QUOTE]
I think you have. My memory isn't the best, so please correct me if I'm mistaken but you didn't like FFXII, you didn't like VP2, you don't like this. Something tells me you wouldn't like Rogue Galaxy. Methinks you just need a break from video games.

Anyway, I'm about 23 hours in and I've completed Aurica's cosmosphere. Not sure if I want to complete Misha's since I'm not really using her. I plan to use her in my next playthrough when I select her path. I thought the last level of the cosmosphere was a nice little bit of fan service for Gust fans. You'll see when you get there.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think you have. My memory isn't the best, so please correct me if I'm mistaken but you didn't like FFXII, you didn't like VP2, you don't like this. Something tells me you wouldn't like Rogue Galaxy. Methinks you just need a break from video games.

Anyway, I'm about 23 hours in and I've completed Aurica's cosmosphere. Not sure if I want to complete Misha's since I'm not really using her. I plan to use her in my next playthrough when I select her path. I thought the last level of the cosmosphere was a nice little bit of fan service for Gust fans. You'll see when you get there.[/QUOTE]

Recent games I have luvred:
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Tales of the Abyss
Suikoden V (not really recent but it was my favorite game of 06)
Bully
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Atelier Iris 2

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. But I just wanted to show you that I don't hate every recent game that I'm playing. I'm probably going to rent Rogue Galaxy when I have my spring break just to at least try it. And yes, you have a good memory, I hated FF12 and VP2.

Finally got the game today and it was a legit new sealed copy (from Gamestop)! Guy at EB had one "new" opened and I passed on it. He actually said he could re-shrink wrap it for me. :roll: So I went to Gamestop and they had one real one left.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Finally got the game today and it was a legit new sealed copy (from Gamestop)! Guy at EB had one "new" opened and I passed on it. He actually said he could re-shrink wrap it for me. :roll: So I went to Gamestop and they had one real one left.[/QUOTE]
Play it now!

I just started phase 3. Shurelia is cute without the helmet...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Play it now!

I just started phase 3. Shurelia is cute without the helmet...[/quote]

I'm gonna play some tonight inbetween Naruto and Bleach on Cartoon Network.

Cuteness FTW!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm gonna play some tonight inbetween Naruto and Bleach on Cartoon Network.

Cuteness FTW![/quote]

Ahhh, anyone here watch the new Naruto shippuden episodes? The intro and OP are pretty neat. The way its going right now, Naruto is really looking to be a promising series again.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Ahhh, anyone here watch the new Naruto shippuden episodes? The intro and OP are pretty neat. The way its going right now, Naruto is really looking to be a promising series again.[/QUOTE]
No offense, but the anime thread is already full of posts about that crappy show. Can we keep this one on topic?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No offense, but the anime thread is already full of posts about that crappy show. Can we keep this one on topic?[/quote]
Haha, I honestly didn't expect that kind of a response, specially someone with otaku in their nick :O.

Just thought I'd pop the question here, you know, conversation. I've seen the threads, but w/e, I like bleach more. My younger bro is the naruto fan.

anywayz, how many hours have you guys logged into Ar Tonelico for?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Haha, I honestly didn't expect that kind of a response, specially someone with otaku in their nick :O.[/quote]
I'm a huge anime fan. As you probably noticed because of my user name. I hate Naruto though. I hope the show burns in anime hell along with One Piece, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. As you can see, my taste tends to differ from what's currently popular. Btw, I like Bleach too so that's ok XD
anywayz, how many hours have you guys logged into Ar Tonelico for?
I'm about 24 hours in. Just started the 3rd phase.

I'm at like 17 hours and I'm almost at the second phase. I don't know.. I think I'll play it for the long haul, but get rid of it once I finish. It's just not that great. I read the Gamespot review and pretty much agree 100% with all of the points it made.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm at like 17 hours and I'm almost at the second phase. I don't know.. I think I'll play it for the long haul, but get rid of it once I finish. It's just not that great. I read the Gamespot review and pretty much agree 100% with all of the points it made.[/quote]

Ahh well, to each their own =). I'm starting to stray away from a lot of RPG's, since my patience runs thin now, and I tire with dialogue. However, some can keep me intrigued. Games like FF8, Chrono Cross, and Disgaea 1/2 can keep me entertained. What I love about these games (with Chrono Cross as an exception), is the large amount of numbers everywhere (dmg, stats, # of hits, etc..) *_*. Disgaea "had me at hello" when I learned of the lvl 9999 Max Cap !:O, which is why this game caught my attention. I'm a math type of guy, so it's only natural :p

As for Rei, I agree with One Piece, I have no clue how that's popular at all, even with the japanese voice cast.

Haha, yay, you like bleach! lolz

One Piece manga is much better than the anime. I also found naruto and bleach manga to be more enjoyable than the anime

Ok guys, I am only 30 minutes into it but I have a question.

I am just to the part where I am asked to fight the Blue Wolves. During the verbal exchange between myself and the villagers is there supposed to be voice acting? Also, was there supposed to be some voice when I tried to give Aurelica the handkerchief back (just before the Blue Wolves/Airship talk)? It just seems weird it would be gone all of a sudden.

BTW, that song in the opening is hauntingly beautiful IMO.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ok guys, I am only 30 minutes into it but I have a question.

I am just to the part where I am asked to fight the Blue Wolves. During the verbal exchange between myself and the villagers is there supposed to be voice acting? Also, was there supposed to be some voice when I tried to give Aurelica the handkerchief back (just before the Blue Wolves/Airship talk)? It just seems weird it would be gone all of a sudden.

BTW, that song in the opening is hauntingly beautiful IMO.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I don't remember if there was voice there. Haven't played that part in awhile lol.

And yes, the music is really good. There's a lot more vocal pieces in phase 2. I especially like EXEC_SUSPEND/, which is sung by Shurelia. Unless the game takes a huge nosedive in phase 3 it's easily going to end up one of my favorite RPGs. I'm already looking forward to replaying it so I can see Misha's route.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Honestly, I don't remember if there was voice there. Haven't played that part in awhile lol.

And yes, the music is really good. There's a lot more vocal pieces in phase 2. I especially like EXEC_SUSPEND/, which is sung by Shurelia. Unless the game takes a huge nosedive in phase 3 it's easily going to end up one of my favorite RPGs. I'm already looking forward to replaying it so I can see Misha's route.[/quote]

Is there a soundtrack available? It may have been stated already, but I figured it would be easier to ask.

I got the preorder soundtrack since I ordered it from NIS. But it doesn't have all the tracks. I also ordered the 2 vocal soundtracks a couple days ago.

So in total there's four soundtracks. The preorder one NIS gave away, the 2 disc one with all the game music and then there's 2 vocal ones.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I got the preorder soundtrack since I ordered it from NIS. But it doesn't have all the tracks. I also ordered the 2 vocal soundtracks a couple days ago.

So in total there's four soundtracks. The preorder one NIS gave away, the 2 disc one with all the game music and then there's 2 vocal ones.[/quote]

Cool.

I really don't understand why some people still have a problem with sprites. This game looks absolutely stunning most of the time (world maps aside).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I got the preorder soundtrack since I ordered it from NIS. But it doesn't have all the tracks. I also ordered the 2 vocal soundtracks a couple days ago.

So in total there's four soundtracks. The preorder one NIS gave away, the 2 disc one with all the game music and then there's 2 vocal ones.[/quote]

With vocal albums, that also includes the concert album correct?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Ok guys, I am only 30 minutes into it but I have a question.

BTW, that song in the opening is hauntingly beautiful IMO.[/quote]
I don't recall having VA for that scene, either. I've noticed that there are several occasions where the voice acting starts and stops abruptly throughout the game (about 20 hours in, mostly in english). It usually happens during slight scene changes (fading out/in locations), so it doesn't seem to be a glitch. I don't know if the japanese track has voices during those parts.

It's nice to know that there is a phase 3. I'm seemingly close to finishing phase 2, and was wondering how I could finish an RPG without going over (or at least coming close to) the estimated length, like I always seem to do.

Is anyone experiencing slight slowdown every now and then for battles and dialog? I can hear the PS2 making reading noises (as if it's starting to spin the disc again) when it lags, so I was wondering if it was the game or my PS2. I have a black SCPH-75001 slim model purchased in May 06, if it's relevant.

bread's done
Back