Ar Tonelico preorder with bonus at NISA

[quote name='G33']I don't recall having VA for that scene, either. I've noticed that there are several occasions where the voice acting starts and stops abruptly throughout the game (about 20 hours in, mostly in english). It usually happens during slight scene changes (fading out/in locations), so it doesn't seem to be a glitch. I don't know if the japanese track has voices during those parts.

It's nice to know that there is a phase 3. I'm seemingly close to finishing phase 2, and was wondering how I could finish an RPG without going over (or at least coming close to) the estimated length, like I always seem to do.

Is anyone experiencing slight slowdown every now and then for battles and dialog? I can hear the PS2 making reading noises (as if it's starting to spin the disc again) when it lags, so I was wondering if it was the game or my PS2. I have a black SCPH-75001 slim model purchased in May 06, if it's relevant.[/quote]

I have noticed that when my brother in law plays Madden on his slim PS2 that disc access noises seem a whole lot more audible than on my fatty PS2. That being said, I have heard read noises during spoken dialogue on my machine. I play mine on its side, but I doubt that makes a difference.

[quote name='G33']I don't recall having VA for that scene, either. I've noticed that there are several occasions where the voice acting starts and stops abruptly throughout the game (about 20 hours in, mostly in english). It usually happens during slight scene changes (fading out/in locations), so it doesn't seem to be a glitch. I don't know if the japanese track has voices during those parts.

It's nice to know that there is a phase 3. I'm seemingly close to finishing phase 2, and was wondering how I could finish an RPG without going over (or at least coming close to) the estimated length, like I always seem to do.

Is anyone experiencing slight slowdown every now and then for battles and dialog? I can hear the PS2 making reading noises (as if it's starting to spin the disc again) when it lags, so I was wondering if it was the game or my PS2. I have a black SCPH-75001 slim model purchased in May 06, if it's relevant.[/quote]

I used to experience that with my old PS2 Fatty, I'm guessing the lens was going bad. Maybe that could be the cause for your slowdown/lag, but May 06 is far too recent for a problem like that to show up...?=/

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, you get a new reyvateil in phase 3. Though it should be kind of obvious who it is. Her cosmosphere is hilarious though.[/quote]

Off-topic, but I am assuming that is a Dynasty Warriors character in your avatar, yes? Either way, that is a mighty fine piece of art.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, you get a new reyvateil in phase 3. Though it should be kind of obvious who it is. Her cosmosphere is hilarious though.[/QUOTE]

Have you found any pictures anywhere of her
without her mask on? I am going to play through the game to see it on my own, but I am curious right now as to what Shurelia looks like under the mask.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Off-topic, but I am assuming that is a Dynasty Warriors character in your avatar, yes? Either way, that is a mighty fine piece of art.[/quote]
You're half right. It is a character who appears in Dynasty Warriors, Sun Shang Xiang, but it's her in Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI. The art in the game is beautiful. Here's more: http://koeiwarriors.simgames.net/rottk11-potraits-females.php
[quote name='Dead of Knight']Have you found any pictures anywhere of her
without her mask on? I am going to play through the game to see it on my own, but I am curious right now as to what Shurelia looks like under the mask.
[/QUOTE]
You've seen her. She's in the opening custscene of the game towards the end. The girl with the silver hair. Here's a pic though: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Shinji2120/at_wallpaper3_1024.jpg

The opening movie that plays before the title screen. Towards the end it shows her. It's funny because she's the youngest of the three, and at times she acts like it.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I used to experience that with my old PS2 Fatty, I'm guessing the lens was going bad. Maybe that could be the cause for your slowdown/lag, but May 06 is far too recent for a problem like that to show up...?=/[/quote]
I assume from your response that no lag is experienced? I usually get 1/2 second pauses during certain dialog changes (no discernable pattern, sometimes happens during sprite/artwork dialog, sometimes not), during battle sequences (1/2 second pause during the opening costume change before the song wheel appears, slight hesitation before executing some actions), and while loading the videos. The sound it makes is the same as the one made when you insert a CD/DVD into a laptop internal drive. I hope it isn't the PS2, as I'd have to figure out how to have it covered by warranty without a receipt (needed it for a rebate, which never came =/). I'll test out the PS2 with a few other games and see if I have the same experience with them.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Yeah, you get a new reyvateil in phase 3. Though it should be kind of obvious who it is. Her cosmosphere is hilarious though.[/quote]
That's good to know, as it seems as if phase 2 is the end of the game (finished both Ex Cosmospheres, "final" boss confrontation, point of no return, etc.) before the post-game starts. I was starting to get confused as to why they were giving me weapons, armor, and recipes for a character that they were apparently not going to give to me any time soon :p. That's interesting about the new reyvateil, as it sounds as if the game gets a little more lighthearted.

That reminds me, I've never played any of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. I've meant to, but there've been so many sequels that I've been waiting for the next "latest and greatest" version before I try it. Any recommendations? I'm used to complexity in games (Civ3/4, numerous RTS's, "Sim" games) so that shouldn't be a problem.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wait, so
Shurelia is the "sister" in Misha's cosmosphere? Interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and these are for all the pervs out there (probably NSFW):
http://www.animepaper.net:8080/uplo...per]scans_Ar-Tonelico_Calamity-Ace_101651.jpg
http://www.animepaper.net:8080/uplo...aper]scans_Ar-Tonelico_masterdiablo_66846.jpg[/QUOTE]
Yup, Shureila appears in Aurica and Misha's cosmosphere's. I believe she's even called Rei-chan in Aurica's at one point. Interestingly Lyner will recognize her immediately if you are during the cosmosphere's in the 3rd phase.
Btw, I think I'll save those pics for future reference...
That reminds me, I've never played any of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. I've meant to, but there've been so many sequels that I've been waiting for the next "latest and greatest" version before I try it. Any recommendations? I'm used to complexity in games (Civ3/4, numerous RTS's, "Sim" games) so that shouldn't be a problem.
While all the games are fairly similar they tend to fall into two camps. The ones that focus on playing a role (X and VIII) and the ones that focus on the strategy (IX and XI). With the role playing ones you play as a character. You can be a ruler, you can lead a rogue army that goes around attacking everyone, you can serve another ruler as a viceroy. With the strategy ones you play more as the country. There's no rogue army, you can't serve anyone else. So it's really up to which you prefer which will determine what's a good starting point.

Either way if you want to try the role playing go with X and with the strategy go with XI. They have all the improvements of the previous ones, so they're the best on each side of the table. I personally prefer the role-playing ones, and loved X. XI is good though. I'm just mad I couldn't import my force from X into XI, which you could do in all the others. I had to make them all over again.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wait, so
Shurelia is the "sister" in Misha's cosmosphere? Interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and these are for all the pervs out there (probably NSFW):
http://www.animepaper.net:8080/upload/thumbs/scans/Ar-Tonelico/%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Ar-Tonelico_Calamity-Ace_101651.jpg
http://www.animepaper.net:8080/upload/thumbs/scans/Ar-Tonelico/%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Ar-Tonelico_masterdiablo_66846.jpg[/quote]

What does NSFW mean?

I never knew about this site :eek:, I found a lotta cool pics now ^^b, there's a cool Mugen Pic that I'mma set up as a wallpaper :D

Edit: >.>, I tried registering so I could view some pics, but the page just refreshes when I click register. o_O?

Oh, ok.

Well I finally managed to register, anywho, I had to try about 5 times >.>

There are a lot of neat pics/wallz/art here, reminds me of DeviantART

If anyone is still looking to purchase the game with the soundtrack for a not crazy ebay price you might try your luck at www.rosenqueen.com.

NIS apparently gave all the left over stock to the store. There is also a fair amount of other interesting but expensive swag.

Thank you for contacting us regarding the
soundtrack. The soundtrack was offered only for
the pre-order customer, however, since there were
some cancellations for the pre-order we passed all
the cancelled items to Miss. Rosenqueen.
Therefore, if you visit www.Rosenqueen.com you may
be able to find the premium box with the bonus
soundtrack there. The item is going very fast, and
the quantity is limited, so we cannot guarantee
that you will get one, but please try the website.
You will also find all the NISA products there!

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']http://download.yousendit.com/602A10D2577F9F46

A bunch of the vocal songs.

Tracklist:

Aurica's songs: Exec_linca, Exec_purger
Misha's songs: Exec_chronicle key, Exec_purger
Shureila' songs: Exec_suspend

I thought it was neat how there's two purger themes depending on who you download the hymn crystal into.[/quote]

Whoop de do, thanks for the songs.

Will DL tonight :)

[quote name='Gara']If anyone is still looking to purchase the game with the soundtrack for a not crazy ebay price you might try your luck at www.rosenqueen.com.

NIS apparently gave all the left over stock to the store. There is also a fair amount of other interesting but expensive swag.

[/quote]

Ack!

I would have ordered from them if I had known. Doesn't appear to be a way to buy the soundtrack seperately. Thanks though! :)

Received my package from Rosenqueen today. Oddly enough they sent it in some of the best packing I have seen for a single game. Came in a large box with bubblewrap, paper and inclosed within another small box packed with bubblewrap.

[quote name='Gara']Received my package from Rosenqueen today. Oddly enough they sent it in some of the best packing I have seen for a single game. Came in a large box with bubblewrap, paper and inclosed within another small box packed with bubblewrap.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I was thinking of ordering the Prinny plush and hat from them.

I'm tempted to order one as well justfor the soundtrack.I was planning to ebay it to reduce overall cost of game.Look like ebay value is fairly strong now,i hope it doesn't tank when i receive it

[quote name='Inf^Shini']That's what I was thinking, not too many really know about rosenqueen yet.[/quote]

heh that's good! I only posted about it in this thread with hopes anyone who really wanted one would get it.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Good to know. I was thinking of ordering the Prinny plush and hat from them.[/quote]

I love the plush. Was considering placing an order for that and a phone strap. The hat is neat but just a bit too expensive for a show piece.

I'm getting close to the end of the game but I don't want to finish it. I don't want it to end T.T So I've been putting it off. I'm going to have to go for it though. This weekend I'm thinking.

[quote name='Gara']heh that's good! I only posted about it in this thread with hopes anyone who really wanted one would get it.

I love the plush. Was considering placing an order for that and a phone strap. The hat is neat but just a bit too expensive for a show piece.[/quote]

Haha, just so I could make enough to get one for myself...again. I already own a copy, but I can sell a couple on Ebay to make mine free! That's the CAG budget way ;)

I wanted to grab those Disgaea figures *_*, they look pretty neat, just put em around somewhere :p

Ar tonelico has 7 endings ;) Don't worry about finishing it once :)

Probably not worth the effort now to order and flip it on ebay. The prices on ebay are coming down. One BIN at $85 has been untouched for 3 days. An auction is up to $6x with 1 day to go. You can probably get $10-$15 profit doing all the work, after paying ebay and paypal fees...but only if it doesn't tank by the time you receive the goods and list it on ebay.

Speaking of the new store, I still have points not carried over from the old online store and they promise they will. I hope they will do it fast!

Probably not worth the effort now to order and flip it on ebay. The prices on ebay are coming down. One BIN at $85 has been untouched for 3 days. An auction is up to $6x with 1 day to go. You can probably get $10-$15 profit doing all the work, after paying ebay and paypal fees...but only if it doesn't tank by the time you receive the goods and list it on ebay.

Speaking of the new store, I still have points not carried over from the old online store and they promise they will. I hope they will do it fast!

[quote name='Gara']Received my package from Rosenqueen today. Oddly enough they sent it in some of the best packing I have seen for a single game. Came in a large box with bubblewrap, paper and inclosed within another small box packed with bubblewrap.[/quote] Dang! The old online store shipped mine in a small box with a tiny piece of paper filler. The game was free to rock and roll inside the box and if the box was crushed at a corner, I doubt the game could have survive it without a crushed corner too.

I thought Rosenqueen is just a new division of NISA (so was the old online store). Why would the same company have a change in heart in a beefed up packaging? Strange.

Yea, that's what I've been wondering about too, my points :eek:

That was another reason for me thinking about flipping on Ebay ;), purchase after purchase will accumulate points which = discounts.

But hey, as you said, all the fees and stuff has kept me from actually doing that >.>

I bet though, once the stuff on Rosenqueens runs out, prices will jump up on it. I doubt it will tank, just the ones without the soundtrack will. I know most people don't want to go the route of importing the japanese soundtrack and probably aren't aware of this being abridged anyways.

I was honestly surprised by how many people are actually selling personal copies on Ebay o_O, go play the game! jeez...

BTW, Rei No Otaku, those songs from the link you posted up, are they from one particular vocal cd or are they pulled from both? I just listened and they're pretty cool. Guess I'll pick em up :) Thanks for the preview ;)

[quote name='eau']Dang! The old online store shipped mine in a small box with a tiny piece of paper filler. The game was free to rock and roll inside the box and if the box was crushed at a corner, I doubt the game could have survive it without a crushed corner too.

I thought Rosenqueen is just a new division of NISA (so was the old online store). Why would the same company have a change in heart in a beefed up packaging? Strange.[/quote]

Maybe they had run low on packing materials since they just released a new game and presumably shipped out a few thousand copies in the past few weeks?

BTW, Rei No Otaku, those songs from the link you posted up, are they from one particular vocal cd or are they pulled from both? I just listened and they're pretty cool. Guess I'll pick em up Thanks for the preview
The Aurica songs and the Shureilia song are from one, and the Misha songs are from another. They're basically divided by the two reyvateils. Aurica is the Crimson one and Misha is the Blue one.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The Aurica songs and the Shureilia song are from one, and the Misha songs are from another. They're basically divided by the two reyvateils. Aurica is the Crimson one and Misha is the Blue one.[/quote]
Ahhh I see. The beginning of EXEC Suspend reminded me of Voices by Yoko Kanno for Macross :eek:

All these songs sound even better when I turn up the volume, the bass shakes the floor ;)

I'm nearish the end of Phase 2 (at least over halfway there) and I'm seriously considering not playing any more of it. I feel compelled to finish it since I've invested so much time into it, but it feels more like a chore than anything. You have to backtrack so much (at least in Misha's path) and unlike the AI games where you often have to backtrack, enemy-avoidance items and teleport-to-the-beginning-of-the-dungeon items are not readily available.

Additionally, the dungeons are too long and too poorly-created considering how much they make you backtrack through them. They're almost as badly-made as random dungeons in other games. Except they're not random. Someone actually planned them out this way. At least I can run from any battle (as far as I can tell). Also, it appears that the characters are mentally retarded as I could see pretty much all the plot points a mile away. And the battles are so tedious. My Lyner is super-powerful thanks to his equipment and can kill many enemies in 1 hit (2 hits max for more powerful regular enemies). But it's still boring as hell. The characters seem endearing enough, but then again, I also find them boring.

After 8 hours of gameplay with Misha I finally unlocked a new dungeon that I wasn't just simply backtracking through. WTF????? From what I can tell you visit more diverse areas in Aurica's path, but her path seems really dumb and it's like a rehash of every other RPG that features an
omg teh church si teh evils!!1
plot. It's just so ridiculous how they made this game...

I apologize for the huge rant, but I hope at least some of you can see my side. I still don't know if I'm going to stop playing it or not. I've invested like 28 hours so far, though this isn't as bad as the 35 I had on FF12 before I quit that and sold it. Let me know what you think.

The only reason I can come up with for this game being so mediocre when the AI games were so awesome is because Gust collaborated with Banpresto for this one. The concept for the game is great, but it's executed so piss-poorly.

I completely disagree, but then I haven't done Misha's path. So it is possible that for her it's that bad. But something tells me I'd still think it was great.

What I love about it so much is the characters. Especially Aurica who I have grown really attached too. I like how she changed over the course of the game and her relationship with Lyner. It's why I just don't want to play Misha's route. I can't even imagine Aurica not being in that relationship. Are the plot and the characters cliche at times? Of course they are. But frankly I don't care. I'd rather see cliched concepts done extremely well than something completely different yet no where near as endearing.

The game has a lot of heart and emotion, and that goes a long way with me. It really reminds me of games like Lunar and Grandia. Before RPGs were about angst filled characters on a plothole filled journey. The game is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in awhile. Probably since Tales Symphonia. Yup, another game where people seem to complain about the cliched characters.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I completely disagree, but then I haven't done Misha's path. So it is possible that for her it's that bad. But something tells me I'd still think it was great.

What I love about it so much is the characters. Especially Aurica who I have grown really attached too. I like how she changed over the course of the game and her relationship with Lyner. It's why I just don't want to play Misha's route. I can't even imagine Aurica not being in that relationship. Are the plot and the characters cliche at times? Of course they are. But frankly I don't care. I'd rather see cliched concepts done extremely well than something completely different yet no where near as endearing.

The game has a lot of heart and emotion, and that goes a long way with me. It really reminds me of games like Lunar and Grandia. Before RPGs were about angst filled characters on a plothole filled journey. The game is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in awhile. Probably since Tales Symphonia. Yup, another game where people seem to complain about the cliched characters.[/quote]

I thought Grandia was a pretty neat game w/ an interesting story, although I didn't play the game myself.

I watched my younger bro play my Grandia :p, he loved it, and that surprised me.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
The game has a lot of heart and emotion, and that goes a long way with me. It really reminds me of games like Lunar and Grandia. Before RPGs were about angst filled characters on a plothole filled journey. The game is easily one of the best RPGs I've played in awhile. Probably since Tales Symphonia. Yup, another game where people seem to complain about the cliched characters.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the aforementioned games (Lunar, Grandia, TOS) didn't have terrible battle systems and horrible dungeon design. I would also like to say that I hold all three of the games you mentioned in very high regard, Lunar in particular being one of my favorite games of all time. Also, for some reason, I do not find the characters in this game all that great even though all the pieces are there for them to be endearing and all that (at least for the RTs, the other playable characters except for maybe one are so generic and hollow it hurts). This may tie back to the terrible gameplay, as all of the aforementioned games had great gameplay (Lunar's was pretty generic, but it worked, and it wasn't annoying at all like this game's is). Though it may also have something to do with the fairly boring dialogue.

And I feel the exact opposite about Misha and Aurica. After watching certain scenes it seems obvious that Lyner belongs with Misha. I think this is the effect they were going for; depending on the path you choose, it seems that Lyner definitely belongs with Aurica or Misha and you wouldn't want it any other way. In this regard, the game definitely did its job. Too bad just about everything else is a bona fide mess.

I think I am going to trudge forward, but only because I am so close to the end and I want to see all the costumes the game has. The latter is a horrible reason, but I dig alternate costumes like that in games. PS: The Dark Knight Misha costume design was completely ripped off from the FF Dark Knight design. Nice creativity there.

[quote name='eau']Dang! The old online store shipped mine in a small box with a tiny piece of paper filler. The game was free to rock and roll inside the box and if the box was crushed at a corner, I doubt the game could have survive it without a crushed corner too.

I thought Rosenqueen is just a new division of NISA (so was the old online store). Why would the same company have a change in heart in a beefed up packaging? Strange.[/quote]

That's how the smaller boxed was packed, although it was quite secure in there from what I could tell. They then put that box into a much large one lined with bubblewrap and then stuffed it with paper. Perhapes a few complains of crushed boxes made them change? Either way it was nice.

I broke down and placed an order for the plushy and phone strap. I'm weak!

This may tie back to the terrible gameplay, as all of the aforementioned games had great gameplay (Lunar's was pretty generic, but it worked, and it wasn't annoying at all like this game's is).
I think that's the main difference with me. I like the gameplay first of all. The game gets much harder in phase 3. So while it's never a hard game, it does stop being wicked easy. But even if I didn't like it, it wouldn't matter. I don't buy RPGs for the gameplay, I buy them for the characters and/or plot. And as far as I'm concerned AT has done its job in that regard.

You're right, it is obvious that the focus here is on the reyvateils and the other characters kind of fall to the wayside, but doesn't bother me. Yeah, I knew the scenes would be different had I picked Misha, but it's still hard for me to go back and play the other path. Kind of like in ToS where I was closest to Sheena, and when I replayed the game I wanted to see new scenes but had a hard time not just going with Sheena again. I get really attached to characters.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I think that's the main difference with me. I like the gameplay first of all. The game gets much harder in phase 3. So while it's never a hard game, it does stop being wicked easy. But even if I didn't like it, it wouldn't matter. I don't buy RPGs for the gameplay, I buy them for the characters and/or plot. And as far as I'm concerned AT has done its job in that regard.
[/QUOTE]

I thought the plot was pretty generic and boring in this game. Ohnoes they're resurrecting an evil god!!! The characters are also horribly generic except for the RTs, which isn't enough to save it IMO. The RTs aren't even that great either in terms of characterization. Aurica is ridiculously emo for most of the game and that's one of the main reasons why I picked Misha. At least she is tolerable.

Gameplay generally takes a back seat to plot and character development for me, which is obvious considering that Lunar is one of my favorite games, but if a game has a mediocre plot, mediocre characterization other than a couple characters (that isn't even that great IMO), AND horrible gameplay, then there is a big problem. The gameplay has to at least work in RPGs. Lunar had very generic gameplay but it was hardly boring, definitely not annoying, and even fun. Ar tonelico's gameplay is IMO boring, annoying, and not fun. Add in a mediocre plot and characterization and you've got one unhappy DOK.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I thought the plot was pretty generic and boring in this game. Ohnoes they're resurrecting an evil god!!! The characters are also horribly generic except for the RTs, which isn't enough to save it IMO. The RTs aren't even that great either in terms of characterization. Aurica is ridiculously emo for most of the game and that's one of the main reasons why I picked Misha. At least she is tolerable.

Gameplay generally takes a back seat to plot and character development for me, which is obvious considering that Lunar is one of my favorite games, but if a game has a mediocre plot, mediocre characterization other than a couple characters (that isn't even that great IMO), AND horrible gameplay, then there is a big problem. The gameplay has to at least work in RPGs. Lunar had very generic gameplay but it was hardly boring, definitely not annoying, and even fun. Ar tonelico's gameplay is IMO boring, annoying, and not fun. Add in a mediocre plot and characterization and you've got one unhappy DOK.[/QUOTE]
Aurica changes a lot if you go her path. She was quite emo, and in fact I believe an earlier post of mine even points out how it was becoming silly at one point.

Anyway, I'll just agree to disagree since I don't feel the characters are mediocre at all. Unfortunate you don't like it, but oh well. I'll still easily recommend it to someone who wants a game with a lot of emotion and character.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Aurica changes a lot if you go her path. She was quite emo, and in fact I believe an earlier post of mine even points out how it was becoming silly at one point.

Anyway, I'll just agree to disagree since I don't feel the characters are mediocre at all. Unfortunate you don't like it, but oh well. I'll still easily recommend it to someone who wants a game with a lot of emotion and character.[/QUOTE]

Aurica is still quite emo as far as I can tell on the Misha path, but then again she isn't getting much screentime. I will probably be able to tell with a few more hours of play.

I'll agree to disagree as well. I've enjoyed these little debates with you as they've been civil and respectful. Everyone has a difference of opinion. I'm going to keep playing the game, most likely till I beat it, and I will continue to write impressions here if my opinions change at all.

Aurica is still quite emo as far as I can tell on the Misha path, but then again she isn't getting much screentime. I will probably be able to tell with a few more hours of play.
The reason she changes is mainly due to her relationship with Lyner. So I'm guessing if you cut that out, which the Misha path does, she won't change as much. But yeah, she does a 180 if you take her path. While she never gets as outgoing as Misha she smiles all the time now and is actually semi-aggressive with Lyner.

I didn't mind her in the beginning though, I like those kind of characters (my username is a good indication). Not sure why really. Maybe I'm secretly emo... T.T

Just finished Phase 2. The final battles were some of the easiest "uber-boss" battles I've ever fought in a game. I hope what you say about Phase 3 is true. The end of Phase 2 was a bit more tolerable than what led up to it, but most of my complaints are still valid.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']You don't have anything to add? :cry:[/quote]

I can add, but nothing about Ar Tonelico >.>, so it wouldn't fit into this thread logically. But hey, if I can talk about anything here, I'll contribute :)

I must digress I haven't played it yet -.-, I never have time. The only "systems" I use are my PSP (THE Most), my PC, and recently my DC and Saturn (Dragon Force is neat :D)

(I'll be typing this post without quotes, so it might be a little confusing. I apologize in advance for that.)

Doing a search online for an Ar Tonelico strategy guide didn't produce any results for me, and I don't remember there being a OSG being announced, so I don't believe that there is one. I don't believe Generation of Chaos, Spectral Souls, or Atelier Iris did either,

After searching online regarding slight slowdown, it seems that it's an issue with the game, and not my PS2, which is fine by me. I don't mind slowdown (didn't bother me in AI:EM, GOC, or SS:RotDE) as long as something isn't breaking. I was also intrigued to note that after I mentioned it and did a search, the major slowdown problems aleviated themselves (the drive used to noticibly make loud and long revving sounds, and the game would seemingly hang/freeze as the disc was accessed, for much longer than the time estimates I gave. After thinking about what I posted, it was more like a constant 1-2 seconds per battle/scene change/menu change). I guess it's just one of those things that fixes itself once you start to complain about it.

I'll give RotK X and XI a shot, once I lift my self-placed ban on new games (been focused too much on collecting and not playing/enjoying games recently). Thanks for the suggestions, as this is one of the series that I've really wanted to try out.

I'll have to re-read your earlier posts, but I'd say I agree with parts from both your arguments. From what I've seen, it's basically an anime, with a game attached to it as an afterthought. The characters and plot seem to play out in a semi-cliched fashion, so if you're tired and unamused by it, the whole game basically falls flat. The battles are ridiculously easy at nearly all points of the game, as long as you remember to heal up when needed. Your party tends to either be underpowered (your party picks at the enemy, then your Reyvateil throws a massive ball of energy to finish them), or overpowered (your characters kill them in a couple shots), and your characters learn no special skills that they can use at whim (without raising the harmonics gauge). As a result, battles are either long and exhasperating, or frequent, and annoying, without too much challenge in between. It seems to suffer from the semi-typical Japanese cinema flaw (reminds me of Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, though I don't know if that's relevant) of building up to a climax, and then either not explaining what happens, or just ending the story immediately afterwards without a satisfing conclusion. There's no "fast" movement within dungeons, so if you want to get to a certain place in the middle, you have to trudge through half the dungeon to get there, and walk back the way you came. The item creation system is interesting, but it plays out more as "find item, make item" rather than a semi-minigame where you can be creative, like AI's system.

That said, I'm 27.5 hours in, at the part where
you need to speak to Tastiella to free Mir, and find Ayatane again
, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's one of the few games during recent times that I've gotten to the 8-10 hour mark and continued playing, instead of switching to another game and coming back to it later. I find it interesting, seeing the characters as they develop and all of the many strings of dialog given to each character attached to various actions and things. I see some of the cliches coming from a mile away, and note all of the flaws that I mentioned above, but I pretty much accept it for what it is: a flawed, but enjoyable, and slightly different, RPG. It also helps that the date-sim/RPG genre is fairly unique for a localized game (Riviera being one of the few others I can remember), so it doesn't have too much competition, in the strictest sense.

Note: I didn't re-read posts while typing this, so I might have missed something (as I often do). Feel free to point out logical fallacies and technical inconsistencies as necessary, as it's late here, and I'm tired.

bread's done
Back